Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » How each Westminster seat voted at the May 2019 Euros

SystemSystem Posts: 11,008
edited November 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » How each Westminster seat voted at the May 2019 Euros

The chart above is based on projections from Prof Chris Hanretty of Royal Holloway on how each Westminster constituency in the Euro elections on May23rd – the most recent election when the whole nation voted.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Sizeably first like the SNP & Remain in North Britain.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,951

SNP still doing worse than 2015
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited November 2019
    Interesting to see the LDs in first place in Hammersmith when the result there at the last general election was Lab 64%, Con 28%, LD 5%.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    LDs got 36% in Chelsea and Fulham, 37% in Cities of London and Westminster and 35% in Kensington and 38% in Battersea and Putney and 33% in Finchley and Golders Green and 43% in Wimbledon. All LD targets in London. LDs got 38% in Esher and 35% in Henley and 42% in Cambridge too.

LDs only got 23% in North Devon, 17% in North Cornwall though ie Tory seats traditionally Liberal and in North Norfolk and Eastbourne, both Tory targets held by the LDs, the LDs got only 28% and 25%.

Expect a LD surge in wealthy parts of London and university cities and some Home Counties Remain areas and a damp squib elsewhere
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    https://twitter.com/bbcquestiontime/status/1190039022963449862?s=19

Another supposed "member of the public" turns out to be a tory activist plant in Thursday's question time. It's fundamentally dishonest of the bbc having activists from these parties (and likewise when it's a labour or LD plant) and spout their propaganda being treated as if it's some random member of Joe Public having their say. They should be labelled as activists or party members. Otherwise why not just send actual Labour MPs to sit in the audience and shout "Tory Trump brexit deal selling our NHS" for example, it would carry as much credibility.

Party members make up a miniscule percentage of the public, it's completely unrepresentative stuffing the audience with them. If they can't find enough non party members to participate they should just make the studio smaller.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    HYUFD said:

LDs got 36% in Chelsea and Fulham, 37% in Cities of London and Westminster and 35% in Kensington and 38% in Battersea and Putney and 33% in Finchley and Golders Green and 43% in Wimbledon. All LD targets in London.

LDs only got 23% in North Devon, 17% in North Cornwall though ie Tory seats traditionally Liberal and in North Norfolk and Eastbourne, both Tory targets held by the LDs, the LDs got only 28% and 25%.

Expect a LD surge in wealthy parts of London and university cities and some Home Counties Remain areas and a damp squib elsewhere

Does that mean the tories could win back Kensington, Canterbury and Maybe Battersea?
  • Options
    For the sake of simplicity I've not included Scotland???????

FFS the separatists haven't won yet y'know.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

LDs got 36% in Chelsea and Fulham, 37% in Cities of London and Westminster and 35% in Kensington and 38% in Battersea and Putney and 33% in Finchley and Golders Green and 43% in Wimbledon. All LD targets in London.

Does that mean the tories could win back Kensington, Canterbury and Maybe Battersea?
    On Labour to LD swing alone yes, though if Labour voters tactically vote LD the LDs could come from 3rd to win
  • Options

Another supposed "member of the public" turns out to be a tory activist plant in Thursday's question time. It's fundamentally dishonest of the bbc having activists from these parties (and likewise when it's a labour or LD plant) and spout their propaganda being treated as if it's some random member of Joe Public having their say. They should be labelled as activists or party members. Otherwise why not just send actual Labour MPs to sit in the audience and shout "Tory Trump brexit deal selling our NHS" for example, it would carry as much credibility.

Party members make up a miniscule percentage of the public, it's completely unrepresentative stuffing the audience with them. If they can't find enough non party members to participate they should just make the studio smaller.

filing this under "how do you like them onions"
  • Options

Pretty obvious he was a Tory activist from the start.
  • Options
    The spreadsheet is downloadable here

"Sunil masturbated, gently.…"
  • Options

To be honest they may as well junk the whole show. It's turned into a circus in the last few years anyway.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

On Labour to LD swing alone yes, though if Labour voters tactically vote LD the LDs could come from 3rd to win
    And there will probably be a con>lib dem in these seats too....hmmn. fascinating stuff, isn;t it...
  • Options
    "My assumption is that just about all the Scottish seats are pro remain with a sizeable SNP vote. "

sizable SNP vote - over 50pc vote; not so much.

I really need the Scottish figures (to be precise, the Aberdeen North figures) so I know where my tactical anti-separatist vote goes.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Pretty obvious he was a Tory activist from the start.
    Isn't it standard practise to offer political parties tickets for these events. This should be made clear by the networks, but at least the questions will have been thought out a bit (hopefully).
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,911

Just put the show out of its misery. It passed its sell-by date long ago.
  • Options
    JFNJFN Posts: 13
    AndyJS said:

Interesting to see the LDs in first place in Hammersmith when the result there at the last general election was Lab 64%, Con 28%, LD 5%.

I'm one of those people. I think the swing in the Euros was a complete protest vote. The Labour MP (Andy Slaughter) is very good (and not Corbynista) so I think the left wing vote will return to him. The boundary changes may affect things (he's losing a big Labour Shepherd's Bush chunk and gaining a bit more CON Fulham) but overall it feels like it will still Labour.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    LDs also got 38% in Labour held Hampstead and Kilburn and Hornsey and Wood Green and 31% in Thornberry's Islington South and Finsbury
  • Options

There's an average of about 200 Conservative Party members per constituency (varies wildly). If a few of them find out that BBCQT is coming to their area how do you expect the BBC to stop them watching the show?

I went to see Any Questions one time in Exeter while a member of the Green Party. Should I have been barred? Was I not a member of the public as well as a member of a political party?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

When QT comes to Scotland we have ex Tory MSPs in the audience and serving Tory Councillors all being represented as ordinary members of the public.
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083
    HYUFD said:

LDs got 36% in Chelsea and Fulham, 37% in Cities of London and Westminster and 35% in Kensington and 38% in Battersea and Putney and 33% in Finchley and Golders Green and 43% in Wimbledon. All LD targets in London. LDs got 38% in Esher and 35% in Henley and 42% in Cambridge too.

I think you’ll see more LD movement in Cornwall - anecdote not data driven, but the coalition hit the LD vote really hard here giving labour some lift in 2015 and still in 2017. A combination of reversion to LD status quo as coalition memories fade, less positive perceptions of Corbyn and increasing remain tactical voting all sound likely. Hard to see St Ives staying blue for example.

One data point: how does your prediction square with the Rees-Mogg constituency poll and Lab->LD shift suggested there? Not London, university or Home Counties.
  • Options

"My assumption is that just about all the Scottish seats are pro remain with a sizeable SNP vote. "

I really need the Scottish figures (to be precise, the Aberdeen North figures) so I know where my tactical anti-separatist vote goes.

I'll work on that over the weekend
  • Options
    stormsstorms Posts: 2
    edited November 2019
    Any word on the Remain Alliance discussions?
  • Options

I'll work on that over the weekend
    Thanks Mike! Would be much appreciated.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    edited November 2019
    Were the 2014 European elections a good guide for GE2015?

I can definitely see there being some useful data there, but I'd like to see how it performed in the past.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    HYUFD said:
    Which is perfect as it would encourage companies start paying tax in the countries they earn the money in
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

There's an average of about 200 Conservative Party members per constituency (varies wildly). If a few of them find out that BBCQT is coming to their area how do you expect the BBC to stop them watching the show?

I went to see Any Questions one time in Exeter while a member of the Green Party. Should I have been barred? Was I not a member of the public as well as a member of a political party?
    Exactly. Political activists are WAY more likely to want to go to QT than Joe Public. And they are WAY more likely to want to ask a question on live TV.

It's hardly rocket science.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,969
    edited November 2019
    HYUFD said:

I'm sure the SNP are looking on enviously at the SCons worrying about being either a weedy 2nd or 3rd depending the pleasure of Nigel Farage.

Still, they've come up with the rad strategy of putting the fresh new face of..er..Ruth Davidson on their literature.

https://twitter.com/HTScotPol/status/1189209587850854400?s=20
  • Options
    Alistair said:

When QT comes to Scotland we have ex Tory MSPs in the audience and serving Tory Councillors all being represented as ordinary members of the public.
    I really hate this trick (which other parties also pull, let’s not get away from that), but it’s a very tough one for the Beeb. Should they pull anything where “ordinary members of the public” are allowed to ask questions of politicians? That in my view would be very sad for democracy. Do they vet better? They have limited resources and it becomes a question of where one draws the line.

Personally I would rather audience members had the personal integrity of identifying themself as an activist before they ask a question, but obviously a lot of them don’t and are there to astroturf, though I hope the public can spot the obvious ones.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    It is garbage though. No sensible psephologist will base projection on an election which saw a barely 35% turnout and from which the two main parties pretty well abstained.Even many of those who vote fail to take such elections seriously.
    Moreover even those naive enough to take such data at face value need to allow for a significant swing against both Brexit Party and LDs since that election.The current polls show a swing from LD to Lab of 6% - 10% since the EU elections - and a much bigger swing to the Tories.Today's Panelbase poll has the LDs on 14% with Labour on 29%. On such figures , the LDs would barely reach 20 seats.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,322
    I'm not sure how useful this is, except as Mike suggests as a very rough guide to current leave/remain voting - but the referendum is probably a better guide. In my constituency, it shows a BXP win, but BCP are invisible at the moment here - I'm not sure if they have a candidate. In Broxtowe, the other constituency that I know well, it shows a LD win, which again looks very unlikely, not least as they've yet to select. The problem is that the Euros came to be seen as a BXP vs LD duel, and on current polling neither party is going to be in first two.
  • Options

Question Time has fundamentally changed with its audience, it used to be a panel show with a public audience, now the audience appear to be solely a mix of lobbyists and party hacks. I think it was last week when there were three consecutive members of the audience were people on zero hours contracts, all extremely articulate and passionately in favour of zero hours contracts. Seriously we are expected to believe that is random or in any sense representative?
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,100
    A cautionary note about Betfair.

There is a "No Deal in 2019?" market on Betfair Exchange, the rules of which state (inter alia) that it would be settled if an extension beyong 2019 were agreed. That happened formally on Tuesday, if I understand correctly. At any rate, it has certainly happened, or we should be out of the EU now.

I contacted them today to point this out, and after a delay for consultation I was told it hadn't been settled, but they "reserved the right" to settle it. Obviously that wasn't much of an answer.

When I queried that, I was quoted part of the rules that gave them discretion if there was "ambiguity in an announcement." When I asked for clarification, I was told they were just stating the rules, not claiming there had actually been any ambiguity. And further questions were met with similar stonewalling.

Eventually I managed to speak to someone else, and they said they would try to resolve it, though it hasn't been resolved so far.

Obviously for a bet of that kind the date of settlement is an important consideration. I understand the need for some kind of catch-all clause giving them discretion, but I think they should be able to point to some real ambiguity if they want to invoke it.

I won't be placing any more bets with Betfair until I get some kind of reassurance that their stated rules are meaningful.
  • Options
    Very large Lib Dem shares in a number of the Surrey seats. Woking, Guildford, South West Surrey (Jeremy Hunt seat) and even Esher and Walton (Raab seat) the Lib Dems are polling between 35 and 40 per cent.

Other places like Winchester in Hampshire (well over 40 per cent LD share) look like nailed on Lib Dem gains.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    JFN said:

AndyJS said:

I'm one of those people. I think the swing in the Euros was a complete protest vote. The Labour MP (Andy Slaughter) is very good (and not Corbynista) so I think the left wing vote will return to him. The boundary changes may affect things (he's losing a big Labour Shepherd's Bush chunk and gaining a bit more CON Fulham) but overall it feels like it will still Labour.
    Interesting. Do you think the LDs can win in Kensington, Finchley or Cities of London & Westminster? (There's also Wimbledon and Putney).
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226

Alistair said:

I really hate this trick (which other parties also pull, let’s not get away from that), but it’s a very tough one for the Beeb. Should they pull anything where “ordinary members of the public” are allowed to ask questions of politicians? That in my view would be very sad for democracy. Do they vet better? They have limited resources and it becomes a question of where one draws the line.

Personally I would rather audience members had the personal integrity of identifying themself as an activist before they ask a question, but obviously a lot of them don’t and are there to astroturf, though I hope the public can spot the obvious ones.
    QT always relies upon party members to fill most of their seats. Who else would be willing to drive for miles and/or pay for parking to sit through the show? I have lost count of the number of invitations I have received over the years.

Maybe it’s just a bit more obvious in these partisan times?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I'm sure the SNP are looking on enviously at the SCons worrying about being either a weedy 2nd or 3rd depending the pleasure of Nigel Farage.

Still, they've come up with the rad strategy of putting the fresh new face of..er..Ruth Davidson on their literature.

I know we are in a post-truth age, but this boosterising of a politician *who has resigned* is truly among the most bizarre and desperate acts I have witnessed in many a year.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    41% Lib Dem vote in Hitchin and Harpenden stands out. Could be a surprise seat.
  • Options

Why dont they vary the format? Rather than do 35 mins of Brexit each week and 25 mins on the rest, why not do 1 in depth show on the NHS, another on elderly care, another on foreign policy, another on higher education etc with the cover everything show perhaps only once a month.

It would allow for better conversation, more relevant contributions from the non politicians and be a significantly better fit for the BBC public broadcaster model as it could educate rather than seek to sow further division.
  • Options
    storms said:

Any word on the Remain Alliance discussions?

Announcement expected early next week
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I think canny Scots will realise that Brexit party was just a fun Euro election vote. The anti-separatist tactical vote should hopefully increase again leading to a loss of seats for the SNP.
  • Options

The BBC routinely ask local parties to supply audience members, so it's pretty much to be expected. What I'd suggest is that where a questioner asks something with an obvious party interest, the chair should ask if they're a member of a party. If they tell the truth, people can factor that in. If they lie and it comes out, that would be an own goal.
  • Options
    Westminster voting intention:

CON: 40% (+4)
    LAB: 29% (+2)
    LDEM: 14% (-3)
    BREX: 9% (-2)
    GRN: 3% (-)

via @Panelbase, 30 - 31 Oct

The first 2 Panelbase polls of the 2017 campaign showed Tory leads of 22% and 19%. On a comparative basis, today's figures are ok for Labour which is polling at levels reached in 2010 and 1983.On a UNS basis it implies a Tory majority of 38 - with 39 gains from Labour offset by 6 losses to LDs and 7 to SNP.LDs would barely reach 20 seats.

• Options
    Thanks for the table. Reinforces what I thought - in my seat of Stockton South Brexit walked it, and the LibDems beat Labour with the Tories only just into double digits.

This is a key target for Johnson. But if even half of the Tory to Brexit switchers in the Euros stay there they won't win the seat, unless the Labour collapse is even bigger...

A lot of seats will be decided on who loses the fewest votes
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I know we are in a post-truth age, but this boosterising of a politician *who has resigned* is truly among the most bizarre and desperate acts I have witnessed in many a year.
    There're playing to their strengths - fat lesbos poll well. It's only a matter of time before the Sassenach parties join the trend.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

The first 2 Panelbase polls of the 2017 campaign showed Tory leads of 22% and 19%. On a comparative basis, today's figures are ok for Labour which is polling at levels reached in 2010 and 1983.On a UNS basis it implies a Tory majority of 38 - with 39 gains from Labour offset by 6 losses to LDs and 7 to SNP.LDs would barely reach 20 seats.

Even on that poll those swings won’t be uniform. Far from it.
  • Options
    If Barnesian (or anyone else who knows) is around, how does one actually find the predicted MRP voting %s per constituency? When I log onto it, it merely advises me to vote for someone.

Barnesian's model is intriguing reading, and his assumptions sound good, though it has extreme effects in seats where a major party was locally small - there are several seats where a major party is shown as getting zero votes. The problem will be that it partly uses UNS before applying tactical voting, and if you start with 8% and have a 10% UNS against you then../.
  • Options

As a Leaver you are the ultimate separatist – rather than work together with our partners and neighbours you choose to isolate us.

So quit with the inflammatory language old bean.
  • Options
    PJHPJH Posts: 485
    First post, have been lurking for a while but cleaning the house has lost its appeal so time to pop up with some thoughts.

It strikes me that this election is likely to see lot of churn compared to 2017, so looking at 2017 as a starting point is not very helpful. Looking at the Euros may give us some clues, so thank you for sharing this, but it was a very different election with motivated extremes on a lower turnout than in a GE. So useful for identifying relative strengths particularly for LD in Remain areas, but it is just one source among many.

I think we also need to look back at different GE results, each of which can give us something useful. So - 2015 UKIP strength is likely to be mirrored in BXP today, especially as the vote share is very similar to current polling. But current polling for LDs is in the range 15-20 so we should look at anything from 1992 to 2010, and twiddle the knobs up or down a bit based on Leave/Remain.

But one thing I've read on here a few times is a lack of belief that the Conservatives can take many seats off Labour, because it is hard to spot where they might be. It's worth having a look at what happened last time there was a 5% swing from Lab to C - 2010. Labour lost 97 seats and the Tories gained 108. Although local factors may influence a few against the grain, I find it hard to believe that if current polling doesn't change much that Labour will receive anything other than a severe drubbing.

And looking back to another past GE, 1983, reminds us that Labour under Foot polled 28% with an equally left-wing manifesto. And Foot was a better leader and person than Corbyn, so 25% feels quite possible.

Sorry, longer first post than intended!

(And hello to @rpjs )
  • Options

The BBC routinely ask local parties to supply audience members, so it's pretty much to be expected. What I'd suggest is that where a questioner asks something with an obvious party interest, the chair should ask if they're a member of a party. If they tell the truth, people can factor that in. If they lie and it comes out, that would be an own goal.
    So BBC could supply 30 tickets to each party, organise the seating into party sections and everyone would know that the responder was part of x party. Trivial to arrange and far more honest.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

There're playing to their strengths - fat lesbos poll well. It's only a matter of time before the Sassenach parties join the trend.
    Homophobic misogyny – you truly are a graduate of the Charm School aren't you?
  • Options

Why dont they vary the format? Rather than do 35 mins of Brexit each week and 25 mins on the rest, why not do 1 in depth show on the NHS, another on elderly care, another on foreign policy, another on higher education etc with the cover everything show perhaps only once a month.

It would allow for better conversation, more relevant contributions from the non politicians and be a significantly better fit for the BBC public broadcaster model as it could educate rather than seek to sow further division.

I'd vary the format by filing the whole thing in the bin.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,135
    AndyJS said:
    No, not helpful. But will be more than compensated for when Dave Lee Travis comes out for the Cons - as he almost certainly will.
  • Options

As a Leaver you are the ultimate separatist – rather than work together with our partners and neighbours you choose to isolate us.

So quit with the inflammatory language old bean.
    I'm a patriot who thinks that the EU is a farce of a democracy and a large bureaucratic expense. Don't think that makes me an "ultimate separatist", more just a fairly typical "Yoon"
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

justin124 said:

Probably so. At 14% the LD vote is barely higher than the Liberals achieved under David Steel in 1979 - and well below both 1974 results.
  • Options
    Starting to look at Constituency odds

Surely SNP @1.33 is too long for Coatbridge Chryston and Bellshill?
  • Options
    Edinburgh South Labour @1.33

Does Ladbrokes really think there is a 67% chance of Ian Murray being abducted by aliens and forfeiting the seat?
  • Options

So BBC could supply 30 tickets to each party, organise the seating into party sections and everyone would know that the responder was part of x party. Trivial to arrange and far more honest.
    Basically that’s what they do, apart from the designated seating.

At the end of every show they advertise for people to phone in and apply for tickets to upcoming destinations. I’d wager that none of you have ever phoned the number - from which it only takes a smidgin of imagination to imagine the sort of people who will have rushed to their telephones.

They rely on local political parties sending a cohort of their members to make the audience at least halfway normal. Expecting the other half is simply unrealistic.
  • Options
    Edinburgh West Lib Dems @ 1.5

This is free money is it not.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581
    Looking at https://getvoting.org/

it would appear that we are going to be stuck with Philip Davies, even with Remainer tactical voting. Shall I share this gen with my CLP comrades?
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    kinabalu said:

AndyJS said:
    No, not helpful. But will be more than compensated for when Dave Lee Travis comes out for the Cons - as he almost certainly will.
    Saville was best buds with Thatch wasn't he?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    If you sort the seats by Con + BXP vs the rest you get to some truly astonishing potential results.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

IanB2 said:

justin124 said:

Probably so. At 14% the LD vote is barely higher than the Liberals achieved under David Steel in 1979 - and well below both 1974 results.
    Panelbase was pretty crap when last tested at the Euros in May. It had LAB on 25% (they got 14.1%) and the LD on 15% against an actual 20.4%.
  • Options
    PaulMPaulM Posts: 613
    HYUFD said:
    This kind of thing is why I believe there will be a big effort from the megadonors to strongly back a "Not-Warren" candidate if Biden stumbles. And that candidate may not be in the field yet.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

kinabalu said:

AndyJS said:
    In 1974 Saville supported Thorpe's Liberals.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Basically that’s what they do, apart from the designated seating.

At the end of every show they advertise for people to phone in and apply for tickets to upcoming destinations. I’d wager that none of you have ever phoned the number - from which it only takes a smidgin of imagination to imagine the sort of people who will have rushed to their telephones.

They rely on local political parties sending a cohort of their members to make the audience at least halfway normal. Expecting the other half is simply unrealistic.
    It’s a shame, but yes I suppose the audience has to be politically engaged in some way and therefore pretty likely to be a quite serious card carrying member of a party.
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083

it would appear that we are going to be stuck with Philip Davies, even with Remainer tactical voting. Shall I share this gen with my CLP comrades?

I like the fact that in St Ives it recommends a tactical vote for the LDs... and then predicts a LD win even without any tactical voting.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

If you sort the seats by Con + BXP vs the rest you get to some truly astonishing potential results.

Isn;t that Farage's point?
  • Options
    eggegg Posts: 1,749
    It’s fake for two reasons. One is he was so pro Tory in 80s too big a shift to Venezuelan Marxism.
    Two the words of praise used “not in any way anti-Semetic” are just OTT.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

I'm so very sorry. Thoughts and prayers are with you.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,138
    Alistair said:

Depends how you think the SNP are going to do. Not as well as 2015 but better than 2017 seems the most likely to me. If so this is the sort of seat that they might pick up. Not saying its not a good bet but free money it isn't.
  • Options
    alb1onalb1on Posts: 698

Very large Lib Dem shares in a number of the Surrey seats. Woking, Guildford, South West Surrey (Jeremy Hunt seat) and even Esher and Walton (Raab seat) the Lib Dems are polling between 35 and 40 per cent.

Other places like Winchester in Hampshire (well over 40 per cent LD share) look like nailed on Lib Dem gains.

It will be a huge surprise if the LDs do not win Guildford. Not only is it heavily remain, but Anne Milton has been consigned to the scrapheap by a local Conservative Party renowned locally for having been infiltrated by UKIP (and worse), and for numerous scandals (the best one being the mistress of the ex-council leader, who was also a councillor, being prosecuted for impersonating a barrister.

SW Surrey is safe Conservative. The more interesting local seats are Woking (which has had 3 players for a while) and Mole Valley, which saw a Conservative meltdown in May due to an MP regarded as useless even by his own party, and local planning issues which have alienated even rock solid Conservative villages (suggest building a new town next to them and you ask for trouble).

Winchester is a shoo in but the target of the LDs taking back Eastleigh (talked up elsewhere) looks much tougher.
  • Options
    It will be fascinating to see who the lib dems stand aside for, and who they don't.
  • Options
    eggegg Posts: 1,749
    justin124 said:

rpjs said:

kinabalu said:

AndyJS said:
    In 1974 Saville supported Thorpe's Liberals.
    You are just trying to smear Saville and Agitate his fan base.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Does Ladbrokes really think there is a 67% chance of Ian Murray being abducted by aliens and forfeiting the seat?

They are saying the alien abduction is a 25% chance, surely? But yes, you are right, 1.33 is a good bet.
  • Options
    Averages of polls published over the last 10 days (7 in total):

Con 37.6%
    Lab 24.1%
    LD 17.6%
    BRX 10.7%
    Grn 4.0%
    SNP 3.6%

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2019_United_Kingdom_general_election#2019
  • Options
    PaulM said:

HYUFD said:
    This kind of thing is why I believe there will be a big effort from the megadonors to strongly back a "Not-Warren" candidate if Biden stumbles. And that candidate may not be in the field yet.
    Christ you're not another Hillary backer are you ?
  • Options
    Polruan said:

I like the fact that in St Ives it recommends a tactical vote for the LDs... and then predicts a LD win even without any tactical voting.
    Yes, it makes some curious suggestions. It thinks the LDs will take Hampstead, but then suggests tactical Labour voting will turn it in favor of Remain!
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    kinabalu said:

AndyJS said:
    So, which party gets the most endorsements from Celebrity Sex Pests?

----

BTW, I have just got the third leaflet in 3 days from the LibDems -- this one bragging about putting out fires in the Amazon, sending a message to Trump, and action on climate change.

Every sentences is a polished gobbet of mush.

It must be personal, mustn't it? It is a campaign of coordinated harassment, probably headed by OllyT.

Is any other pb-er getting this much junk from the LibDems ?

Can I put it all in a big box and send it back to them at the end of the election without a stamp, so they have to pay to collect it. ?

A LibDem leaflet a day, and the campaign has not started ! By Dec 12th, I will have an impressive collection.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,029

HYUFD said:

It's as if they think she's the unofficial Queen of the Union.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Isn;t that Farage's point?
    Well Ed Miliband (Though he looks a likely winner) certainly is better off without the Brexit party running in his constituency.
  • Options
    Right, that's my first GE 2019 bets placed at average odds of @1.9
  • Options
    rpjs said:

kinabalu said:

AndyJS said:
    Apparently she has disowned him from beyond the grave. There's even been a move to say that they hardly ever met and it was all exaggerated by the peroxide paedo himself.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    edit
  • Options
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Interestingly (just got a new computer, still using Chrome) the vanillacommunity [at which I write this] is showing up with a red triangle and 'not secure'. Not sure why.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Alistair said:

Depends how you think the SNP are going to do. Not as well as 2015 but better than 2017 seems the most likely to me. If so this is the sort of seat that they might pick up. Not saying its not a good bet but free money it isn't.
    Lib Dem vote is up significantly from 2017. Lib Dems have crushed every election here since 2015. Their margin in the analogous Almond ward at the council elections was... overwhelming.

I cannot see them losing it outside a black swan.
  • Options

Thanks for the table. Reinforces what I thought - in my seat of Stockton South Brexit walked it, and the LibDems beat Labour with the Tories only just into double digits.

This is a key target for Johnson. But if even half of the Tory to Brexit switchers in the Euros stay there they won't win the seat, unless the Labour collapse is even bigger...

A lot of seats will be decided on who loses the fewest votes

Stockton South is surely a must-win for the Conservatives to have any hope of a stable majority.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

Interestingly (just got a new computer, still using Chrome) the vanillacommunity [at which I write this] is showing up with a red triangle and 'not secure'. Not sure why.

Did you try adding https to the start?
  • Options

Alistair said:

They are saying the alien abduction is a 25% chance, surely? But yes, you are right, 1.33 is a good bet.
    Oh yes, sorry basic maths fail there. Divided the wrong thing by the wrong thing.
  • Options

PB on my ipad always says not secure - but I'm brave and use it anyway.
  • Options
    Newbury Con at 1.25 is a snip, surely?
  • Options
    Not sure that there's much chance of an upset in Edin SW.

https://twitter.com/DavidJFHalliday/status/1190256560112590848?s=20
  • Options

I didn't hear about it through the Green Party. It was advertised on a work messageboard.
  • Options

Newbury Con at 1.25 is a snip, surely?

LDs have been competitive there in the past - and Benyon is standing down.
  • Options
    One thing's for sure - some of the vote numbers in the spreadsheet are likely to be used in bar charts by a certain party I can think of
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    That seems insane. If there is a global 35% corporation tax why would companies like Google not just move their global headquarters to eg Ireland so that they're no longer American and no longer face the global tax?

And that would take away the taxes that Google etc currently pay to the USA and they'd pay a fraction of what they do now.
This discussion has been closed.