Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » How each Westminster seat voted at the May 2019 Euros

1235»

Comments

• Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979

It would not surprise me if they covered these things up as too many interests might be damaged should clean energy or something else beneficial was obtainable. Lack of evidence I suppose but a former Canadian Minister of defence is on record as saying that Aliens are real and Governments do have joint projects with them.

The joint project is clearly highly effective since Canada hasn't been invaded in yonks.
    lol - The former Canadian minister for defence does not strike me as ill! But who knows?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Hellyer
  • Options
    spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,302
    AndyJS said:

Cant be right Tory Swinson going backwards quicker than an Italian tank.

Wise up anti Tory folks otherwise its a Tory Maj.

CON: 40% (+4)
    LAB: 29% (+2)
    LDEM: 14% (-3)
    BREX: 9% (-2)
    GRN: 3% (-)

via
    @Panelbase
    , 30 - 31 Oct

Most other pollsters have them on about 20%.
    Once the election proper starts they will get legally enforcable representative air time. once that happens they'll get a bounce. they usually do.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,847

On Topic OGH clearly given up on GTTO and just trying to big up LD vote even though that leads to hard BXT

Maybe the Labour Party should have gotten rid of their antisemite who celebrates terrorists who blow up Jewish athletes then?

The LDs can always campaign to rejoin if we leave, there's no need to put an antisemite sympathiser in Downing Street.
    Celebrates terrorists who blow up Jewish athletes then?

Which lie are you repeating tonight?
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453

via
    @Panelbase
    , 30 - 31 Oct

Libdems are not going to vote labour if u keep calling Swinson a tory.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    AndyJS said:

via
    @Panelbase
    , 30 - 31 Oct

Most other pollsters have them on about 20%.
    Add TBP to Tory and if it’s is over 45% there is a problem somewhere with the sample.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,719
    nunu2 said:

via
    @Panelbase
    , 30 - 31 Oct

Libdems are not going to vote labour if u keep calling Swinson a tory.
    Enough of them will. A reluctant vote for Labour to stop Brexit is still a vote to stop Brexit. Not all will look past the insults, of course, but they don't need all of them.
  • Options
    F1: circuit apparently bumpy. Could have some thrills and spills.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718
    bigjohnowls said: "Cant be right Tory Swinson going backwards quicker than an Italian tank"

Why are you calling her "Tory Swinson". I think she is on the left of the LibDems - certainly further to the left than Ed Davey. This was why I favoured Davey over her in the leadership contest.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,179
    Much astute sounding chat on here today about the micro constituency side I must say. I've read with interest and placed a few bets accordingly. So I do hope it wasn't mainly bullshit.
  • Options
    Another potential seat for BJ to stand in.

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/politics/is-boris-johnson-going-to-stand-in-broadland-1-6350602

In reality there are a number of departing Tories in safer seats than his he could swap to.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Stocky said:
    "What would happen if CP won most seats but insufficient for a majority and no coalition or C&S was possible?

I assume that LP could form a government with C&S/coalition with LDs and SNP - but if this were not possible either (maybe LDs refused) what happens then??"

"The Tories stay in power as largest party if they have more than Labour and the SNP and Greens combined and the LDs and DUP abstain"

Is this true? According to AndyJS there would be another election.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

bigjohnowls said: "Cant be right Tory Swinson going backwards quicker than an Italian tank"

Why are you calling her "Tory Swinson". I think she is on the left of the LibDems - certainly further to the left than Ed Davey. This was why I favoured Davey over her in the leadership contest.

Because of her voting record. Followed the Tory whip more often than both Gove and Hunt.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Much astute sounding chat on here today about the micro constituency side I must say. I've read with interest and placed a few bets accordingly. So I do hope it wasn't mainly bullshit.

At this stage I’m afraid it’s bullshit
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    O/T

"It’s the End of California as We Know It
    The fires and the blackouts are connected to a larger problem in this state: a failure to live sustainably.

Farhad Manjoo"

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/30/opinion/california-fires.html
  • Options
    spudgfsh said:

Alistair said:

Here is a match bet I would take on. Lid Dems will have a bigger majority in Edinburgh West than in Swinson's seat.

Swinson has been the recipient of Unionist tactical voting in both 2015 and '17 (indeed I thought she might get enough in '15 to hold on).

That is going to unwind as natural Lab and Con sense the chance to unseat a party leader.

She'll still win but no where close to the walk in the park Edinburgh West will be.

I always thought that party leaders got a bounce in their seat. Who was the last party leader to actually lose their seat (when they were leader)?
    Archibald Sinclair in the 1945 GE I believe.
  • Options
    Re your Munich killers comment surely you know its a lie

It is untrue.

Corbyn did indeed attend a wreath-lying ceremony in 2014 where victims of the 1985 Israeli airstrike against the headquarters of the Palestine Liberation Organisation in Tunis were remembered – an attack that had been condemned at the time by the UN and by Margaret Thatcher. The attack killed around 50 people, mostly Palestinians, and injured many more.

While wreaths may also have been laid at other graves, Corbyn did not participate in these ceremonies. Nor are any of the graves those of Munich perpetrators, who are mostly buried in Libya. None is buried in Tunis.

The Labour Party has lodged a formal complaint with IPSO, the body that passes for a regulator for the main press titles, about the ‘MSM’s misrepresentation of Jeremy Corbyn’s 2014 visit to the Hammam Chott Palestinian cemetery in Tunis’.
  • Options
    PaulMPaulM Posts: 613
    spudgfsh said:

Alistair said:

Here is a match bet I would take on. Lid Dems will have a bigger majority in Edinburgh West than in Swinson's seat.

Swinson has been the recipient of Unionist tactical voting in both 2015 and '17 (indeed I thought she might get enough in '15 to hold on).

That is going to unwind as natural Lab and Con sense the chance to unseat a party leader.

She'll still win but no where close to the walk in the park Edinburgh West will be.

I always thought that party leaders got a bounce in their seat. Who was the last party leader to actually lose their seat (when they were leader)?
    David Trimble in 2005 ?
  • Options
    Chuka having a hissy re the debate

Whatever your politics, this is discriminatory, undemocratic and wrong. Not only is it two blokes deciding to have a debate excluding women, we are not a two party country and the sizeable proportion of the public who want to #StopBrexit won’t have a voice in the room.
  • Options

Whatever your politics, this is discriminatory, undemocratic and wrong. Not only is it two blokes deciding to have a debate excluding women, we are not a two party country and the sizeable proportion of the public who want to #StopBrexit won’t have a voice in the room.

Farage should be there too as he wants a completely different BXT to Jester. Who is representing No Deal Brexit view?
  • Options
    Mr. NorthWales, the gender stuff is irrelevant. But the nature of political debates, having leaders, parties, and broadcasters constantly trying to fiddle the format to their advantage, is another black mark against them.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    spudgfsh said:

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/politics/is-boris-johnson-going-to-stand-in-broadland-1-6350602

In reality there are a number of departing Tories in safer seats than his he could swap to.

I'm 100% certain he'll stay in Uxbridge.
  • Options
    My google skills won’t allow me to find it, but do I recall correctly that Boris seems to be rubbish in the mayoral debates, but the public heard what they needed to and said he “won” in polling?

I was sure there was real data on this but can’t find it.
  • Options
    edited November 2019

Well it’s clearly perfectly fair to have the two parties who came 3rd and 4th in the last nation wide election to be allowed to debate on their own. It really isn’t on but typical of both individuals involved to shut out those who would takes votes off them.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,719

That strikes me as an overreaction to events from him. For one the sexism point is, pardon the phrase, bollocks, since the exclusion is about party size and nothing to do with gender, as they'd have done the same if it were Farron, indeed the arguments over who deserves inclusion happens each time. And as for the rest not all views get included even in a 7 way debate, and the question is where does one draw the line based on views and/or size of support. One between the big two and then one for everyone makes sense, because for now at least Labour and the Tories are objectively more significant.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Anne Frank's home is a very sobering experience and why I despise anti semitism with a passion and Corbyn in particular

He has to be kept out of no 10
    But Pillarboxes and Piccanninies is just bantz right? I was at the Anne Frank House last weekend, teaching my kids about the evils of anti-Semitism. I will still vote Labour.
    Your kids have learned the valuable lesson that anti-Semitism is quite bad but can be sort of cancelled out by tit for tat arguments and trips to Amsterdam. I salute your moral tutelage.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    edited November 2019

It is untrue.

Corbyn did indeed attend a wreath-lying ceremony in 2014 where victims of the 1985 Israeli airstrike against the headquarters of the Palestine Liberation Organisation in Tunis were remembered – an attack that had been condemned at the time by the UN and by Margaret Thatcher. The attack killed around 50 people, mostly Palestinians, and injured many more.

While wreaths may also have been laid at other graves, Corbyn did not participate in these ceremonies. Nor are any of the graves those of Munich perpetrators, who are mostly buried in Libya. None is buried in Tunis.

The Labour Party has lodged a formal complaint with IPSO, the body that passes for a regulator for the main press titles, about the ‘MSM’s misrepresentation of Jeremy Corbyn’s 2014 visit to the Hammam Chott Palestinian cemetery in Tunis’.

I trust you know what happened to that complaint:

https://www.pressgazette.co.uk/labour-drops-complaint-against-six-newspapers-over-corbyn-wreath-coverage-after-email-leak-unacceptably-compromised-ipso-process/
  • Options

Farage should be there too as he wants a completely different BXT to Jester. Who is representing No Deal Brexit view?
    As should the revoke option.
  • Options

I think it would be fair to have a ziggurat of debates. One head-to-head between the most likely Prime Ministers. One with the next tier of parties as well (SNP and Lib Dems, perhaps), and another with every party above a notability threshold (so add in Greens, Plaid, Brexit).
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    OT. Anyone wondering why they should vote Labour should go and see Ken Loach's new film 'Sorry We Missed You'. As should anyone living in the North East. A difficult watch but it does make you wonder why anyone living in those communities or any like them would blame the EU when the real culprits are much closer to home..
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

Stocky said:
    "What would happen if CP won most seats but insufficient for a majority and no coalition or C&S was possible?

I assume that LP could form a government with C&S/coalition with LDs and SNP - but if this were not possible either (maybe LDs refused) what happens then??"

"The Tories stay in power as largest party if they have more than Labour and the SNP and Greens combined and the LDs and DUP abstain"

Is this true? According to AndyJS there would be another election.

Not unless a majority of MPs vote for it and a VONC no, otherwise the Tories stay in power
  • Options

It is untrue.

Corbyn and labour have far more of a problem coming down the line from the investigation into antisemitism by the Equality and Human Rights Commission report in the new year.

There is a real possibily that members on the NEC and the party itself could face bankrupcy as reported by the Independent on the 12th October
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,078

It is untrue.

Corbyn and labour have far more of a problem coming down the line from the investigation into antisemitism by the Equality and Human Rights Commission report in the new year.

There is a real possibily that members on the NEC and the party itself could face bankrupcy as reported by the Independent on the 12th October
    What would happen in those circumstances?
  • Options

I think it would be fair to have a ziggurat of debates. One head-to-head between the most likely Prime Ministers. One with the next tier of parties as well (SNP and Lib Dems, perhaps), and another with every party above a notability threshold (so add in Greens, Plaid, Brexit).
    It’s quite simple if you are standing in 80% of seats across the UK and are polling over, say 10%, you should be included in nationwide debates. There should be separate debates in the three areas where they have devolved powers on regional television. Anything else is a stitch up.
  • Options

Mr. NorthWales, the gender stuff is irrelevant. But the nature of political debates, having leaders, parties, and broadcasters constantly trying to fiddle the format to their advantage, is another black mark against them.

Indeed
  • Options
    NOOF READ
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,179

I'm getting fed up with Sporting Index. They're consistently limiting my bet stakes to small sizes. Given that they're a market maker, they presumably are getting as many buyers as sellers at their prices and they have quite a margin to protect them / provide them with profits. It seems very lame indeed to me.

Very poor. Bet through a mate?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100

It is untrue.

We feel your pain.

Unfortunately, it is about one trillionth of the pain of the families of the victims of the Olympic atrocity. An atrocity for whose planner Corbyn laid a wreath. A pain infinitely more deserving than yours.

So here, have a tune on a violin made of 19 atoms.
  • Options

It is untrue.

What would happen in those circumstances?
    The main thrust is that any guilty verdict by the commission would see an avalance of compensation cases against the NEC and the labour party itself. I assume, and as unlikely as it seems, many personal bankrupcy of labour officials and the liquidation of the party as an organisation

And if so all because labour allowed Corbyn to stay in office
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    nichomar said:

Well it’s clearly perfectly fair to have the two parties who came 3rd and 4th in the last nation wide election to be allowed to debate on their own. It really isn’t on but typical of both individuals involved to shut out those who would takes votes off them.
    The electoral system is already a stitch up for the 2 main parties. I don't think a lot of the public will take kindly to them trying to shut out everyone else from debates as well. It just seems wrong.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    HYUFD said: "Not unless a majority of MPs vote for it and a VONC no, otherwise the Tories stay in power"

- A VONC in what?
    - How can Tories go to queen and say they can form a government?

I don`t get this at all. If no majority can be found then there has to be a 2nd GE quickly, surely?
  • Options
    OllyT said:

nichomar said:

The electoral system is already a stitch up for the 2 main parties. I don't think a lot of the public will take kindly to them trying to shut out everyone else from debates as well. It just seems wrong.
    I am not sure. A debate with all leaders would be a confusing shouting match

A debate between the only two candidates that for PM is justified

I suspect both Corbyn and Boris will only debate each other in this election

There will be debates with other leaders but I do not expect Boris or Corbyn will be there

It is a stitch up and others have every right to be angry
  • Options
    Stocky said:

HYUFD said: "Not unless a majority of MPs vote for it and a VONC no, otherwise the Tories stay in power"

- A VONC in what?

I don`t get this at all. If no majority can be found then there has to be a 2nd GE quickly, surely?

31st January becomes no deal if the politicians are not careful

And an election before then is impossible
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    Stocky said:

- A VONC in what?

Not necessarily if the LDs and DUP have the balance of power and refuse to put Corbyn in, Boris stays PM unless and until he loses a VONC
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181
    FPT

Stocky said:

Because of her voting record. Followed the Tory whip more often than both Gove and Hunt.
    It’s worth pointing out Corbyn has followed the Tory whip more often than any of them...
  • Options
    I think Farage just enjoys destroying things. He get`s a kick out of it.

I`ve just had a further BXP email. The heading is "Help us press the reset button".
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited November 2019
    If Johnson allows the debate to deviate from the EU and voters go back to where they were just five years ago-the EU's importance was somewhere between 'Country Life and Animal welfare in the Ipsos Mori index-then Johnson's Tories are screwed. I

It's an uphill job for Corbyn but six weeks is a long time and with nothing material happening on the EU front it should certainly be possible. A flu outbreak would help.
  • Options
    HYUFD says: " Not necessarily if the LDs and DUP have the balance of power and refuse to put Corbyn in, Boris stays PM unless and until he loses a VONC"

So we would be back to square one. They will have a renewed opportunity to keep the Tories limping on. What a nightmare.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

I think Farage just enjoys destroying things. He get`s a kick out of it.

I`ve just had a further BXP email. The heading is "Help us press the reset button".

The one thing Farage has done has made a no deal question on any referendum a certainty
  • Options
    Roger said:

If Johnson allows the debate to deviate from the EU and voters go back to where they were just five years ago-the EU's importance was somewhere between 'Country Life and Animal welfare in the Ipsos Mori index-then Johnson's Tories are screwed. I

It's an uphill job for Corbyn but six weeks is a long time and with nothing material happening on the EU front it should certainly be possible. A flu outbreak would help.

Why do you wish flu on anyone
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,256
    spudgfsh said:

Theresa running frightened was the start of her slide.
  • Options
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Have to say I thought Warren was going to switch to the public option.

May well back out of my position on her.
This discussion has been closed.