Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If the Tory MPs are really focussed on gaining northern LAB se

Comments

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,236
    kinabalu said:

viewcode said:

Not really. If the seats Con lose in nice middle-class neighbourhoods in the South-East are outweighed by those they gain in rufty-tufty working-class neighbourhoods in the North/Midlands, then it's to Cons benefit

Yes. The Conservative Party led by a colossal lump of born-to-rule privilege by the name of Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, with a supporting cast of more right wing reactionaries than you can shake a stick at, are hoping to - likely will - surf to power on the back of working class votes.

You couldn't make it up.
    Agree. How did it come to this whereby the Labour Party has alienated what it once thought to be its core vote?
  • Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268
    Norm said:
    Hardman-Woodcock would be an unfortunate last name.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,354
    Amongst other things, this will now also be the election of Sir Henry Bellingham's End...

In a letter to party members Sir Henry, who is 64, says that he had "agonised" over the decision but always wanted to depart gracefully before people started saying "poor Henry he is not quite as active or dynamic as he used to be"....
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    MPs are back
  • Options
    blueblueblueblue Posts: 875
    kinabalu said:

viewcode said:

Not really. If the seats Con lose in nice middle-class neighbourhoods in the South-East are outweighed by those they gain in rufty-tufty working-class neighbourhoods in the North/Midlands, then it's to Cons benefit

Yes. The Conservative Party led by a colossal lump of born-to-rule privilege by the name of Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, with a supporting cast of more right wing reactionaries than you can shake a stick at, are hoping to - likely will - surf to power on the back of working class votes.

You couldn't make it up.
    It's no stranger than Labour giving up on the Working Classes in favour of the Woking Classes, whose contempt for the former is virtually limitless...
  • Options
    SunnyJimSunnyJim Posts: 1,106

Labour explores plans to ban private jets from UK airports from 2025

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/nov/04/call-for-ban-on-uk-private-jets-by-2025-as-flight-traffic-soars

Labour just get more bonkers by the day.

Forget bollocks to billionaires, it f##k off all wealth producers.

I was going to say what about premier league clubs, espeically with european games..but they will be nationalized so they wont be able to afford them anyway.

Hahahaha...go on Jezza...it would make my life much easier.

(It is however mind-boggling stupid - as anybody in the industry would tell you).
  • Options
    Hoyle wins first round. Laing 2nd.
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083

Polruan said:

I guess we must be at cross purposes but I thought it was common ground that regulatory divergence etc gives rise to non-tariff barriers, and lowering NTBs is generally equated with increasing alignment with the trade partner. Maybe to put the question another way with is more neutral on the subject of ‘damage’ - how do you anticipate decreasing alignment with the EU in a way that doesn’t increase NTBs, and which NTBs would you see us being able to lower in order to take advantage of neglected opportunities elsewhere, if food and environmental standards are off the table?

No it is not common ground. Regulatory alignment is not required in order to avoid Non Tariff Barriers.

Alignment is just one option available to avoid NTBs actually and the principle of mutual recognition instead is a valuable one to work with.
    Still challenging I think to move down a specific mutual recognition path which the EU accept to the extent that it doesn’t introduce any barriers, but which doesn’t fetter our ability to lower NTBs with other countries. ( I think this from the IfG is still as current as it was a couple of years ago in terms of the choice we need to make https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/blog/mutual-recognition-can-uk-have-its-brexit-cake-and-eat-it )

Specifically, though, where would we gain economically by doing this?
  • Options
    Harriet Harman should pull out and by her logic endorse Laing.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Bryant 98
    Harman 72
    Hillier 10
    Hoyle 211
    Laing 113
    Leigh 12
    Winterton 46
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,903

Jo Swinson playing the woman card for all she can about the tv debates

Jo - this is not about women.

Correct, it's about two men.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,249
    edited November 2019
    Guido

In total three candidates have resigned from TBP the day that the candidates list was announced

• Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,135
    Is this an anonymous vote? Where are the rest of 'em?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Polruan said:

I guess we must be at cross purposes but I thought it was common ground that regulatory divergence etc gives rise to non-tariff barriers, and lowering NTBs is generally equated with increasing alignment with the trade partner. Maybe to put the question another way with is more neutral on the subject of ‘damage’ - how do you anticipate decreasing alignment with the EU in a way that doesn’t increase NTBs, and which NTBs would you see us being able to lower in order to take advantage of neglected opportunities elsewhere, if food and environmental standards are off the table?

No it is not common ground. Regulatory alignment is not required in order to avoid Non Tariff Barriers.

Alignment is just one option available to avoid NTBs actually and the principle of mutual recognition instead is a valuable one to work with.
    I think you guys are both right.

Mutual recognition of standards requires core agreement. If one country allows a certain degree of electrical radiation, and another has a different one, then mutual recognition of standards doesn't work.

Realistically, there will likely be little to no deviation in product standards, not least because many of these are now set globally. (And we would do well to recognize this, because otherwise we'll pay a price for a freedom we'll never use.)

Where there may be deviation is in environmental and labour regulation.
    I think that’s accurate - I don’t have any problem with an honest argument that the perceived economic benefit is achieved through lowering environmental and labour standards below those of the EU. That may well be democratically acceptable (working time directive doesn’t seem very popular, for example) - but the unwillingness to be open about those choices gives the impression that it’s not seen as a price the electorate would be willing to pay.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    I believe I mentioned this lady over the weekend. Probably a good candidate for Gaza Central but not so much Coventry South.

Her social media history is getting quite a bit of exposure in the press now.

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1191377197434638338
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,918
    From the Guardian:
    Lindsay Hoyle clear winner in first ballot, but short of 50% of votes needed

Ken Clarke announces the result.

He says 562 MPs voted.

Sir Lindsay Hoyle: 211

Dame Eleanor Laing: 113

Chris Bryant: 98

Harriet Harman: 72

Dame Rosie Winterton: 46

Sir Edward Leigh: 12

Meg Hillier: 10

Clarke says Hillier and Leigh are now out, because Hillier came last, and Leigh also received fewer than 5% of votes cast.

He says any other candidate who wants to drop out must say so within the next 10 minutes.

If the 562 MPs who voted stay for the rest of the day, a candidate needs 282 to get more than 50%
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,619
    RobD said:

Bryant 98
    Harman 72
    Hillier 10
    Hoyle 211
    Laing 113
    Leigh 12
    Winterton 46

Hoyle 211
    Laing 113
    Bryant 98
    Harman 72
    Winterton 46
    Leigh 12
    Hillier 10

Is it FPTP or will there be a second round?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

RobD said:

Bryant 98
    Harman 72
    Hillier 10
    Hoyle 211
    Laing 113
    Leigh 12
    Winterton 46

Hoyle 211
    Laing 113
    Bryant 98
    Harman 72
    Winterton 46
    Leigh 12
    Hillier 10

it's round based
  • Options
    Polruan said:

Polruan said:

Still challenging I think to move down a specific mutual recognition path which the EU accept to the extent that it doesn’t introduce any barriers, but which doesn’t fetter our ability to lower NTBs with other countries. ( I think this from the IfG is still as current as it was a couple of years ago in terms of the choice we need to make https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/blog/mutual-recognition-can-uk-have-its-brexit-cake-and-eat-it )

It doesn't matter where in my opinion, it will be our choice democratically.

Furthermore it also doesn't matter that much if there are a few barriers while we keep as much as possible eliminated with the EU, while simultaneously lowering with other nations. Comparing to similar developed economies to our own the UK is not doing that great within the EU and most global economic development and growth is coming from outside Europe not inside it. That is where the opportunities are and it is up to us to make the most of them.
  • Options
    Brom said:

I believe I mentioned this lady over the weekend. Probably a good candidate for Gaza Central but not so much Coventry South.

And nobody is the least bit shocked.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

RobD said:

Bryant 98
    Harman 72
    Hillier 10
    Hoyle 211
    Laing 113
    Leigh 12
    Winterton 46

Hoyle 211
    Laing 113
    Bryant 98
    Harman 72
    Winterton 46
    Leigh 12
    Hillier 10

Second round; need to get to 50% of the votes cast.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,354
    How sticky are Hoyle's votes ?

On these figures, he's clearly beatable if there is a particular will for an alternative.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,711
    There`s scope for a strong contender against Hoyle in last ballot (maybe Bryant or Laing) if it gets that far. But it seems more likely that Hoyle will get over 50% in a round before that point I`d say.
  • Options
    What news of the Wingnut in Chief - is he back for Labour in the upcoming GE?

[Chris Williamson]
  • Options
    Leigh and Hillier dropping out wont change much.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited November 2019
    On the point of antisemitism etc. A good interview with Bari Weiss, a NYT writer, who has a lot of interesting things to say about the rise of anti-Semitism in US and western Europe, from far right to far left extremists.

https://samharris.org/podcasts/173-anti-semitism-discontents/
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,319
    Dadge said:

It's of no consequence, but this little chat with Gorbachev made me feel quite sentimental. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-50265870/mikhail-gorbachev-tells-the-bbc-world-in-colossal-danger#

Yes - a great man, sadly little appreciated now at home or abroad.
  • Options

[Chris Williamson]

Decision on CS and Vaz by NEC this week.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    blueblue said:

kinabalu said:

viewcode said:

You couldn't make it up.
    It's no stranger than Labour giving up on the Working Classes in favour of the Woking Classes, whose contempt for the former is virtually limitless...
    Woking classes? Is that a reference to the town in Surrey? I've not noticed anything about attitudes there that make it anything out of the ordinary for the south east, but it's a bit more working class than most places around that part of the world. That's still not very much mind you.

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,319
    RobD said:

Bryant 98
    Harman 72
    Hillier 10
    Hoyle 211
    Laing 113
    Leigh 12
    Winterton 46

Looks a fairly easy 2nd or 3rd round win for Hoyle. The Bryant and Winterton votes will mostly go to him.
  • Options

Gabs2 said:

I think you and I have enough mutual respect for you to know that the question is a genuine one. We will almost certainly get Brexit in some shape or form, and I accept that is almost inevitable. However, I genuinely still have not heard an argument in favour for the principle of Brexit that cannot be shot down very easily. I can see an argument that it is now too late to go back, but not an argument that justifies the whole process from first principles; I.e. why it might have been a good idea to do it in the first place. I think it might be better if Brexit supporters just simply said it was a gut instinct or an article of faith, like those who believe in a religion.

It is a good idea because the laws of our land should be set by the people we elect - and if our laws are wrong the people should be able to elect a new government that can amend or reverse that law.

Go on shoot it down in a way that addresses my point and not yours please.
    I hesitate to get involved in a private fight, since experience suggests that both original combatants will turn on an interloper, but one of the reasons for banding together in 'something like' the EU is because business organisations are becoming bigger than can be reasonably dealt with by nation states.
    I don't share that concern but if that was the argument then presumably we should be seeking to share sovereignty with America? As the organisations that affect our lives are more American than European?
    We are long way from the US, both geographically and, in many respects, socially. Health policies are a case in point.
    That's not what you said though, you said about business. Facebook, Google, Amazon, Apple, Walmart (ASDA) and many other companies affecting our daily lives are not German, French etc
    Sharing sovereignty with the USA isn't on offer.
    Would you support it if it was? I think I would.
    The mask slips
    What mask?

I would oppose sharing sovereignty with the USA for the same reason I oppose sharing it with France and Germany, but any Europhile who objects to sharing sovereignty with the USA on reasons of principle is a bit of a hypocrite.
  • Options

Dadge said:

It's of no consequence, but this little chat with Gorbachev made me feel quite sentimental. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-50265870/mikhail-gorbachev-tells-the-bbc-world-in-colossal-danger#

Yes - a great man, sadly little appreciated now at home or abroad.
    But he was feted back then in his glasnost and perestroika pomp.
    Maggie could do business with him.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

[Chris Williamson]

The future of Corbynism...……..

I haven't heard a decision on his eligibility to stand for Labour yet.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited November 2019
    Re speaker...This cant be right...MPs look like making a pretty clear decision and a sensible one at that.
  • Options
    No one else has dropped out of Speaker race, next result just before 6pm.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,363
    Streeter said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

No good reason.

Edit: and you're going to absolutely love the terms of the trade deals we are about to try to negotiate.

No specific example is what I said, or are you simply expressing your view that the dilution of sovereignty, and risk of further dilution, was not a good reason?
    The modern world involves interaction with other nations for mutual gain.

Or "the dilution of sovereignty" in your quaint terms.
    But there is a spectrum from isolationist states to federations. The EU is slowly moving along that spectrum, too far for a lot of people apparently.
    Too far for a narrow majority of voters on one day in June 2016, I think you meant.
    I think many remain voters would agree - or would have agreed, before the debate got so bloody polarised - that the EU was getting rather further down the superstate road than they'd have liked. I think many would have liked to have said in 1992, or in 2007, or whenever: 'this far and no further'. Many would have, given the option, voted for 'less Europe' - but in 2016 voted Remain as a least-worst option because Leave was too bloody difficult.
  • Options

Re speaker...This cant be right...MPs look like making a pretty clear decision and a sensible one at that.

Not sure if it is a popular opinion, but I could live with any of the top candidates.

Even Harman, who I would not rate for high office, would still be OK as speaker.
  • Options
    New ballot papers being printed, apparently
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011

What mask?

I would oppose sharing sovereignty with the USA for the same reason I oppose sharing it with France and Germany, but any Europhile who objects to sharing sovereignty with the USA on reasons of principle is a bit of a hypocrite.

In practice your policy of mutual recognition means surrendering sovereignty, because no-one will agree to accept UK standards without any political control over them, so the only way you could move in your direction would be unilateral acceptance of US, EU, Chinese, or whoever's standards. There may be an economic argument for this, but there isn't a sovereignty argument.
  • Options
    I find it funny that Harriet "vote for me because I'm a woman" Harman isn't even the most popular woman on the list. If Harman had pulled out and said she'd back Laing to get a woman in the chair then it would look like a much tighter race.

But Harman, like Swinson, is using her gender for her own ends she doesn't actually mean what she says. She wants people to vote for her, not for a woman.
  • Options
    blueblueblueblue Posts: 875

blueblue said:

kinabalu said:

viewcode said:

You couldn't make it up.
    Woking classes? Is that a reference to the town in Surrey? I've not noticed anything about attitudes there that make it anything out of the ordinary for the south east, but it's a bit more working class than most places around that part of the world. That's still not very much mind you.

Not the town Woking, but the state of Being Woke. It's, like, a pun.
  • Options
    alb1onalb1on Posts: 698
    Nigelb said:

Amongst other things, this will now also be the election of Sir Henry Bellingham's End...

In a letter to party members Sir Henry, who is 64, says that he had "agonised" over the decision but always wanted to depart gracefully before people started saying "poor Henry he is not quite as active or dynamic as he used to be"....

Is it possible for him to be less active and dynamic than he used to be?
  • Options

Polruan said:

Polruan said:

Furthermore it also doesn't matter that much if there are a few barriers while we keep as much as possible eliminated with the EU, while simultaneously lowering with other nations. Comparing to similar developed economies to our own the UK is not doing that great within the EU and most global economic development and growth is coming from outside Europe not inside it. That is where the opportunities are and it is up to us to make the most of them.
    I agree your (or my) opinion don’t matter a whole lot. If I was confident there would be a Democratic choice I’d be fairly relaxed about it, but it’s hard to see the mechanism for that choice when we are having a general election where the party in favour of this process waves away any discussion of specifics, and will almost certainly claim it has the ‘will of the people’ on its side when implementing changes in future.
  • Options

What mask?

In practice your policy of mutual recognition means surrendering sovereignty, because no-one will agree to accept UK standards without any political control over them, so the only way you could move in your direction would be unilateral acceptance of US, EU, Chinese, or whoever's standards. There may be an economic argument for this, but there isn't a sovereignty argument.
    Mutual Recognition Agreements already exist in international trade.
  • Options

What mask?

If a UK company wants to export to the US, EU or China it has to accept their standards whatever. Same goes for their companies. What's the issue?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,619

viewcode said:

RobD said:

Bryant 98
    Harman 72
    Hillier 10
    Hoyle 211
    Laing 113
    Leigh 12
    Winterton 46

Hoyle 211
    Laing 113
    Bryant 98
    Harman 72
    Winterton 46
    Leigh 12
    Hillier 10

it's round based
    Thank you
  • Options
    alb1onalb1on Posts: 698

blueblue said:

kinabalu said:

viewcode said:

You couldn't make it up.

I assume it is a reference to the past record of Woking electoral frauds committed by all parties.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,093
    edited November 2019
    TOPPING said:

Agree. How did it come to this whereby the Labour Party has alienated what it once thought to be its core vote?

It's difficult because in the culture war - which has been intensified so greatly by the trials & tribulations of Brexit - many of these core voters are on the wrong side. So even though Labour's policies are designed to be in their economic interest, the other stuff can - and often does - outweigh this. But, you know, I would not want to win by pandering to people. It's dirty.
  • Options
    Polruan said:

Polruan said:

Polruan said:

I agree your (or my) opinion don’t matter a whole lot. If I was confident there would be a Democratic choice I’d be fairly relaxed about it, but it’s hard to see the mechanism for that choice when we are having a general election where the party in favour of this process waves away any discussion of specifics, and will almost certainly claim it has the ‘will of the people’ on its side when implementing changes in future.
    Too right too! The government has made certain red lines clear - the NHS is off the table in trade talks etc, but then it needs to get on with the job. If we're not happy with the job they do we can change course in 4 years time. Nothing is forever.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,902

Brom said:

The Coventry South Tory candidate is VERY well positioned to play this to full advantage. You'll see what I mean when she's announced.
  • Options

Not sure why Winterton is carrying on as there are not enough votes from Leigh and Hillier available to not come last in the next round.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

viewcode said:

You couldn't make it up.

They'll win them because of Corbyn, but the challenge will be keeping them. Especially now that we are set to No Deal in December 2020.

• Options
    kinabalu said:

viewcode said:

You couldn't make it up.
    Well there's no inherent reason that the dividing line in politics should be between middle class and working class, nor which the upper class should side with if class IS the distinction between the two. At other times in history the dividing line politically has been religious, or which of two candidates for the throne you supported, or urban/rural. And of course in the USA politics no longer follows socio-economic divides.

If people no longer feel a party represents them, they will looks elsewhere.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    edited November 2019

Too right too! The government has made certain red lines clear - the NHS is off the table in trade talks etc, but then it needs to get on with the job. If we're not happy with the job they do we can change course in 4 years time. Nothing is forever.

If the NHS is off the table we will never have a trade deal with the USA - that golden calf is just about the only reason a President could override Congress.

And Congress isn't happy about Northern Ireland and the GFA - that come up out of the blue when in a Pizza Restaurant in DC last Tuesday afternoon.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

There are some on here who will not be happy until their country is Little Cottage on the Wold (all others being outsiders, dang-it!!!!!)

Or as I put it, for some (not all, not even most) Leavers, the problem was not that the UK was being ruled by a foreign country, the problem was that it was being ruled by the wrong one.
    :D:D
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Brom said:

The Coventry South Tory candidate is VERY well positioned to play this to full advantage. You'll see what I mean when she's announced.
    Researcher against Islamic misconceptions?...
  • Options

What mask?

Mutual Recognition Agreements already exist in international trade.
    They are usually just for mutual acceptance of conformity testing, not mutual acceptance of divergent regulatory systems.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

It's difficult because in the culture war - which has been intensified so greatly by the trials & tribulations of Brexit - many of these core voters are on the wrong side. So even though Labour's policies are designed to be in their economic interest, the other stuff can - and often does - outweigh this. But, you know, I would not want to win by pandering to people. It's dirty.
    Ah I see. They don't know what's good for them. Gotit.
  • Options

Not sure if it is a popular opinion, but I could live with any of the top candidates.

Even Harman, who I would not rate for high office, would still be OK as speaker.
    The current and previous speaker have been so bad at the job that almost any potential replacement looks good by comparison.

• Options
    geoffw said:

What mask?

If a UK company wants to export to the US, EU or China it has to accept their standards whatever. Same goes for their companies. What's the issue?
    If the objective is to reduce barriers, then the only easy mechanism to do so is to unilaterally accept their standards.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793

I didn't know they had it in them! :D
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    blueblue said:

Complete and utter bollox but if you came up with that phrase yourself - "giving up on the working classes in favour of the woking classes" - it's not bad and the Speccie might have an opening.
  • Options

Not sure why Winterton is carrying on as there are not enough votes from Leigh and Hillier available to not come last in the next round.
    Such are the complexities of the electorate in this case that it presumably isn't just those 22 up for grabs. The Tory leadership contest (MPs stage) showed the huge scope for tactical voting.

That said, this does look all over bar the shouting. Is there a sufficient "Stop Hoyle" vote to block him? Doubt it... he seems well liked across the chamber.
  • Options

RobD said:

Bryant 98
    Harman 72
    Hillier 10
    Hoyle 211
    Laing 113
    Leigh 12
    Winterton 46

Looks a fairly easy 2nd or 3rd round win for Hoyle. The Bryant and Winterton votes will mostly go to him.
    Yes it looks like Lindsay. If members persist in their preferences it would take three more rounds to get there, but there's a tendency to stampede once the first round result is known.
    (BTW the last time a Speaker's election took place, both Nick and I were both voters in it - seems a very long time ago).
  • Options
    eek said:

If the NHS is off the table we will never have a trade deal with the USA - that golden calf is just about the only reason a President could override Congress.

And Congress isn't happy about Northern Ireland and the GFA - that come up out of the blue when in a Pizza Restaurant in DC last Tuesday afternoon.

Congress is absolutely fine with the WA now. It has given the Irish everything they wanted.

• Options
    eek said:

The Northern Ireland / GFA thing surfaced quite some time ago in the US.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jul/31/brexit-mess-with-good-friday-and-well-block-uk-trade-deal-us-politicians-warn
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453
    Alistair said:
    Emerson is bit of a joke with 0 undecided and doesn't weight by education, upshot does.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Brom said:

Roger might be.......
  • Options

Polruan said:

Polruan said:

Polruan said:

I guess we must be at cross purposes but I thought it was common ground that regulatory divergence etc environmental standards are off the table?

The government made clear there would be no customes border in the Irish Sea. Then it agreed one.

• Options

eek said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jul/31/brexit-mess-with-good-friday-and-well-block-uk-trade-deal-us-politicians-warn
    It is a deal supported by David Trimble and Leo Varadkar, so can't see the US being too upset by it.

The requirements of a US trade deal depend a lot on who the President is. A President Warren would be presumably very supportive of the NHS.
  • Options

eek said:

Congress has signed off on the WA we now have.

• Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453
    Pulpstar said:

Brom said:

Jewish?
  • Options

eek said:

OK Thanks.

From the Northern Ireland perspective, Boris's deal is a disaster
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    edited November 2019

Brom said:

Not as bad as the Tory candidate for the Gower advocating that benefit claimants 'be put down'. Beyond that if someone despises another person, how they privately respond to their demise is a matter for them. Many danced for joy when Hitler died - when Bin Laden and Saddam Hussein were murdered -and a significant number celebrated Thatcher's death. The same will happen when Blair pops his clogs.
  • Options
    The Tories have given thousands of manufacturing and services businesses a year's notice to quit the UK.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7647359/Downing-Street-rules-extending-Brexit-transition-period-past-2020.html
  • Options

Polruan said:

Polruan said:

Polruan said:

I guess we must be at cross purposes but I thought it was common ground that regulatory divergence etc environmental standards are off the table?

The government made clear there would be no customes border in the Irish Sea. Then it agreed one.

You can't spend months demanding someone is being stubborn and needs to compromise, and then being upset when they do.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Brom said:

Roger might be.......
    Ms Sultana is certainly raisin her profile......
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,306
    edited November 2019
    RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

Those Brexit dividends in full:

1. We can lower VAT on home energy costs to zero.
    2. Droit de Suite (you can google it).
    3. Er...
    4. That's it.

ps. We were always sovereign

Always sovereign de jure, perhaps. In reality laws and regulations were made in Brussels.
    We proved we were sovereign by voting to Leave. Oh you mean the laws and regulations that we, as part of the organisation, had a hand in devising, and thought on balance were better for the country than otherwise? Those laws and regulations?

I mean even though it doesn't seem right I do think that sometimes people should be denied the vote if they are too dim to understand how the modern world works.
    Immediately with the condescending reply, thanks.

What the UK thinks is immaterial in a lot of areas now, and that list Is only growing with the desire to have everything decided under QMV. Of courses we had influence in those decisions, but not a right to ignore the decisions if we had wished to remain a member.
    What is the point in arguing with him? If he wants to think we were sovereign, rock on.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    nunu2 said:

Pulpstar said:

Brom said:

Jewish?
    No, of Iranian heritage.
  • Options

eek said:

OK Thanks.

Why? I thought they wanted the wanted a frictionless border, which they now have. And if they don't, they can vote to end the arrangements. Win/win.
  • Options

Floater said:

Brom said:

Roger might be.......
    Don’t think they are her currant views.
  • Options

The Tories have given thousands of manufacturing and services businesses a year's notice to quit the UK.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7647359/Downing-Street-rules-extending-Brexit-transition-period-past-2020.html

Its a lie.
  • Options

eek said:

OK Thanks.

Why? I thought they wanted the wanted a frictionless border, which they now have. And if they don't, they can vote to end the arrangements. Win/win.
    I think they also had some enthusiasm for a frictionless border with Great Britain.
  • Options
    Very easy to spoof. Just need a Palestine flag and some sort or pro Liverpool fc blurb and it becomes hard to tell who is real and who is not.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,249
    edited November 2019
    Sky news announce leaders debate on the 28th November

Johnson v Corbyn v Swinson

Have they asked Boris and Jeremy ?

And how about Sturgeon and Farage
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    blueblue said:

blueblue said:

kinabalu said:

viewcode said:

You couldn't make it up.

Not the town Woking, but the state of Being Woke. It's, like, a pun.
    Okay. I dare say that is very amusing. Why are woke people contemptuous of working people? I've heard the term a few times but I don't really get what it means.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

nunu2 said:

Pulpstar said:

Brom said:

Jewish?
    No, of Iranian heritage.
    Mattie Heaven?

• Options
    Gabs2 said:

Polruan said:

Polruan said:

Polruan said:

Still https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/blog/mutual-recognition-can-uk-have-its-brexit-cake-and-eat-it )

Furthermore of them.

You can't spend months demanding someone is being stubborn and needs to compromise, and then being upset when they do.

I am delighted Johnson betrayed the DUP and gave the Irish what they wanted. I think a No Deal that inflicted significant economic harm on Ireland would have done immense damage to the UK's long-term reputation. It's important that the consequences of Brexit are felt as much as possible in the UK and as little as possible elsewhere. Johnson's deal ensures that when we do crash out of the EU's orbit next December it is us that suffers by far the most harm.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    TOPPING said:

Ah I see. They don't know what's good for them. Gotit.

I would not put it like that. That sounds patronizing and what I feel isn't.

I would more put it like this -

If you offer people what you think they should be wanting but it turns out that they want something else, something which you think they shouldn't want, the response should be to offer them what you think they should want a bit harder, rather than to change your offer and pretend that you now agree that what you actually think they shouldn't want is not only what they do want but what they are right to want.

It's called integrity.
  • Options
    Polruan said:

eek said:

OK Thanks.

I think they also had some enthusiasm for a frictionless border with Great Britain.
    Then they can vote for that if they don't like the arrangements. Job done!
  • Options
    Polruan said:

Floater said:

Brom said:

Roger might be.......
    Don’t think they are her currant views.
    I'm not sure who she was trying to apeel to by being so candied.

• Options

Sky news announce leaders debate on the 28th November

Johnson v Corbyn v Swinson

Have they asked Boris and Jeremy ?

And how about Sturgeon and Farage

Good that she gets a go, though it will be in the least watched debate.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

nunu2 said:

Pulpstar said:

Brom said:

Jewish?
    No, of Iranian heritage.
    Mattie Heaven?

She's updated her Twitter bio already to say she is the candidate.
  • Options
    llefllef Posts: 298
    welsh poll results here - labour lead tories by 1%
    assuming UNS, then relative to 2017

labour win 18 seats (down 10)
    con 17 (up 9)
    plaid 4
    libs 1(up 1)

https://www.itv.com/news/wales/2019-11-04/poll-labour-has-1-welsh-lead-but-most-voters-say-corbyn-s-poor-or-terrible/
  • Options

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

Those Brexit dividends in full:

1. We can lower VAT on home energy costs to zero.
    2. Droit de Suite (you can google it).
    3. Er...
    4. That's it.

ps. We were always sovereign

Always sovereign de jure, perhaps. In reality laws and regulations were made in Brussels.
    We proved we were sovereign by voting to Leave. Oh you mean the laws and regulations that we, as part of the organisation, had a hand in devising, and thought on balance were better for the country than otherwise? Those laws and regulations?

I mean even though it doesn't seem right I do think that sometimes people should be denied the vote if they are too dim to understand how the modern world works.
    Immediately with the condescending reply, thanks.

What the UK thinks is immaterial in a lot of areas now, and that list Is only growing with the desire to have everything decided under QMV. Of courses we had influence in those decisions, but not a right to ignore the decisions if we had wished to remain a member.
    What is the point in arguing with him? If he wants to think we were sovereign, rock on.
    Not me, sunshine, your great hero David Davis. And he of course should know.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    edited November 2019
    Polruan said:

eek said:

OK Thanks.

About 12% of NI's trade will be in the frictionless zone. Trade with the UK (the new "lots of admin, charges and claim-backs") is about 60% of NI's trade.

So almost everybody's admin bills are going up just to keep doing business with what is supposedly the rest of the country.
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 926
    Welsh poll
    Labour: 29 (+4)

Conservatives: 28 (-1)

Brexit Party: 15 (+1)

Liberal Democrats: 12 (-4)

Plaid Cymru: 12 (no change)

Greens: 3 (-1)

Others: 1 (no change)
This discussion has been closed.