Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » And so to the first leaders’ TV debate of GE2019 – without a r

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,717
    Boris sounds almost out of breath to me, anyone else?
  • Options
    Corbyn repeats his suggestion that there be no internal market in the NHS, despite plenty of areas where nobody would dispute private sector arrangements, such as GPs, pharmacies, and the like. Indeed to abolish the internal market might mean abolishing NHS Trusts?
  • Options

PB Tories moaning about the ref.

Andrew Neil comes on PB ?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

I am not even watching it, but I know who is telling porkies in the comments.. You just get a sixth sense.

It's @kle4.. can't trust those neutral scum.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,339

PB Tories moaning about the ref.

trying to be tim and failing...
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    Can we have VAR before Julie interrupts Boris?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,280
    edited November 2019
    I think Emma Barnett is fantastic. But it is a poisoned chalice chairing a debate like this. I'm not sure anyone could get this to be something palatable for all sides. Personally I'd rather an hour-long one on one interview with each leader by Barnett or Neil.
  • Options
    Brexit first was a mistake
  • Options
    GideonWiseGideonWise Posts: 1,123
    I'm afraid Julie Etchingham has bought into her own hype, too much from her.

• Options
    TOPPING said:

I think Emma Barnett is fantastic. But it is a poisoned chalice chairing a debate like this. I'm not sure anyone could get this. Personally I'd rather an hour-long one on one interview with each leader by Barnett or Neil.

I think there will be Neil interviews at some point.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,150

Chameleon said:

CCHQ have changd their twitter handle to "FactCheckUK". Very naughty.

https://twitter.com/CCHQPress

https://twitter.com/CCHQPress/status/1196891506390552576

All anyone wants to talk about on Twitter.

I assume that was the point...
    That is quite something. Bloody cheek.
  • Options
    What an odd question - mentioning the questioner talked about silly giveaways, then asking for a firm answer to whether austerity was over. Those are separate issues.
    RobD said:

I am not even watching it, but I know who is telling porkies in the comments.. You just get a sixth sense.

It's @kle4.. can't trust those neutral scum.
    Sadly I do not always live up to my avatar :p
  • Options

BluerBlue said:

I think this "get Brexit done" thing is backfiring

And you'll probably keep thinking that right up till December 13th...
    You're as biased as me dude.
    At least I've got actual polling on my side. If Brexit isn't going to be decisive in this election then why exactly is Boris winning it - because the public prefers his NHS policies?
  • Options
    RobD said:

TOPPING said:

I think Emma Barnett is fantastic. But it is a poisoned chalice chairing a debate like this. I'm not sure anyone could get this. Personally I'd rather an hour-long one on one interview with each leader by Barnett or Neil.

This is what is needed.

The format used here is very irritating to watch. No-one gets going, or is properly questioned.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181
    kle4 said:

Boris sounds almost out of breath to me, anyone else?

Perhaps he had a big trade deal to negotiate with Ms Arcuri beforehand.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    RobD said:

nichomar said:

This is just bollocks bloody disgrace Johnson now goes solve the nhs by getting brexit done

Didn't you read the side of the red bus? :)
    I did but Johnson has just made a massive promise that I don’t know if it possible to deliver on in that no one will have to sell their home to pay for care. This is big because when I go my wife will have to go into care probably for a long time and it hasn’t been challenged properly what does he mean ? Free dementia care for all ? What he got away with it.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,253
    HS2 is go, we heard it there first.
  • Options
    BluerBlue said:

BluerBlue said:

And you'll probably keep thinking that right up till December 13th...
    You're as biased as me dude.
    At least I've got actual polling on my side. If Brexit isn't going to be decisive in this election then why exactly is Boris winning it - because the public prefers his NHS policies?
    We will see what happens.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    They are both running out of steam.

They are I suppose old (white) men.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Makes sense for capacity reasons, doesn't it?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

We heard it several days ago.

But good if both leaders have finally been forced to commit to it in public.
  • Options
    chloechloe Posts: 308
    I’m not sure these head to head debates work.
  • Options

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

This is what is needed.

The format used here is very irritating to watch. No-one gets going, or is properly questioned.
    Agree.
  • Options
    edited November 2019

Personally I wrote out all my comments for the debate beforehand. Save time.

Good answer from Corbyn on the monarchy - well done.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

Not really if it's the only slogan people are talking about...
    That's actually a good point. If, at the end of what sounds from the descriptions being offered like a highly uninformative shouting match, all that anyone remembers is soundbites about Brexit then they won't be remembering soundbites about the NHS.

Labour's support amongst its core of habit and client voters is secure, so it isn't going to get wiped out, but the NHS is the only weapon it has to try to win over the undecided. A good run of NHS scare stories is the difference between 210-220 seats and 250-260.
  • Options
    Cymru 2-0 Hwngari :smiley:
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Personally I wrote out all my comments for the debate beforehand. Save time.

Good answer from Corbyn on the monarchy - well done.
    Yes and a rehearsed one from Bozza.
  • Options
    Corbyn getting heckled on climate change - not sure why?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,098
    What the fuck is the point in taking about Prince Andrew???
  • Options

XR types are unsatisfiable.
  • Options

Will get good clicks worldwide.
  • Options
    Has Johnson used the word ‘cripes’ yet?
  • Options
    That was a funny answer from Johnson there.
  • Options

All about taking back control from our unelected rulers?
  • Options
    Great answer from Bozza on foreign leaders.
  • Options
    Oh gosh now we’re onto peace and love.
  • Options
    Boris regaining his mojo.
  • Options

We just heard Boris say Andy's "beyond reproach"?
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,930
    I watched the first half of the debate but it was such a shambles I turned it off. Feel sorry that the country will be landed with one of these incompetents.
  • Options
    Barf
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    This debate is just not cutting it . No time for any proper debate . Corbyn won’t care though . It’s all about improving his image and improving his favourability .

He comes across as much more genuine who actually does care about people . Bozo is overdoing the get Brexit done , it’s now becoming every annoying .
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    What present would they leave under the Christmas tree for each other? Corbyn says he would give Boris a Christmas Carol, Boris says he would give him a copy of his Brexit Deal and some dansom jam
  • Options

The Monarhy. Not Andy.
  • Options
    Was that it? Bloody hell.
  • Options
    The quick fire round was better than the rest of it.
  • Options
    Great answer from Jezza on the christmas gifts. Not bad from Bozza.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    Con Maj 1.52 from 1.53.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    Corbyn is a one eyed bandit with worse odds
  • Options
    well no knock out blows there so will be surprised if the polls move much in either direction because of tonight.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

This debate is just not cutting it . No time for any proper debate . Corbyn won’t care though . It’s all about improving his image and improving his favourability .

He comes across as much more genuine who actually does care about people . Bozo is overdoing the get Brexit done , it’s now becoming every annoying .

You know why advertisers make their commercials deliberately annoying, right?
  • Options

The Monarhy. Not Andy.
    Andy's part of the Monarchy, no?
  • Options
    Big boo there
  • Options
    Neither of them comes better out of this debate than I thought of them beforehand, but it is remarkable what an utter shyster Bozo clearly is. What wrong turning did our poor country ever take to end with a choice such as this?
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,930
    That was utter tripe
  • Options

Big boo there

I think that was a groan, because he's persistently on message.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    nico67 said:

Corbyn conspicuously not answering questions, but other than the Brexit section generally getting much better lines out than Boris.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

XR types are unsatisfiable.
    Technically untrue.

If we all agreed to roam the wildwood as hunter-gatherers they'd be quite happy.

Except with the hunting bit.

Yes, sorry, you were right.
  • Options
    God, that was crap.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,243
    edited November 2019
    Etchingham as bad as Maitliss a few months back...
  • Options
    So, polls? :)
  • Options
    Groan from audience about Boris repeating the Brexit point, which actually is a bit unfair. Yes he's banged on about it and that is irritating, but its a political debate for christ's sake, including his main point in his summation is not unreasonable.
  • Options

The Monarhy. Not Andy.
    Both of the answers on the monarchy may end up being the most newsworthy part of the evening.
  • Options
    Now 1.51.
  • Options
    Score draw. Zero impact.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,150
    IanB2 said:

Neither of them comes better out of this debate than I thought of them beforehand, but it is remarkable what an utter shyster Bozo clearly is. What wrong turning did our poor country ever take to end with a choice such as this?

The weakness of Corbyn is that he couldn't put Johnson under any pressure despite the fact that Johnson avoided answering questions.
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    No clangers on either side

Time to laugh at Jo 10pm
  • Options
    Is Corbyn for or against leaving the EU and what deal will he do with the SNP to gain power.

Excellent lines from Boris.

The snapshot of Jezza's face at the end betrayed his dismay at the whole thing. IMO.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    IanB2 said:

He could have produced Gladstonian oratory and Kantian thought and you’d still have whined about him.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,326
    Clear Corbyn win by the end in my view, but let's see what the snap poll says.
  • Options
    Well what a shocker no knock out blows and no great revelation. Boris did better than I thought he might be was becoming a broken record towards the end. Corbyn didn’t break through on anything really but when on form was pretty personable.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983

God, that was crap.

Yes, an hour of my life I will not get back, no real blows either way.

Switching over to Golddigger on BBC1 like most viewers now I expect
  • Options
    GideonWiseGideonWise Posts: 1,123
    That was fun. Boris full of energy with clarity, Corbyn was grumpy, tired and grinch like.

Dont let Corbyn steal Christmas.

Ps. I'm a LD and grew up in a Labour household.
  • Options
    Be interested to see what YG says
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    Go on, I'll make myself a hostage to fortune:

I think Johnson edged the first half, Corbyn won the second by a bigger margin. Neither was great, but Corbyn wins the snap poll.
  • Options

The Monarhy. Not Andy.
    Not in any meaningful way, no. If his elder brother had died in a bizarre gardening accident, maybe. But he is way down the line of succession.

Personally, I'd cut his Civil List money by about 97%.
  • Options
    I was going to say the worst of these type of debates I d seen but then I remembered the Scottish euro debates earlier this year
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Can everyone agree whether or not they think debates make a difference before we get a snap poll response, so that no one can claim that is what they think if it shows something bad for their side?

I'd shade it to Corbyn - more variety, he's clearer on most things, but Boris did get some blows in that Corbyn cannot queit dignity his way out of.

And i stand by thinking Corbyn's ratings will skyrocket - there's nowhere else for them to go, he cannot live down to that expectation.
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

No clangers on either side

Time to laugh at Jo 10pm

Classic idiot statement from someone that doesn’t ‘aveit’ You are really sad in your trolling for Tory meme
  • Options
    RobD said:

IanB2 said:

Makes sense for capacity reasons, doesn't it?
    Indeed it does. Anyone who travels in Europe can see how far behind we are on rail. The point from the debate was that Bozo volunteered high speed rail unprompted as an example of how we’ll be investing in future infrastructure. Clearly his “review” is just another gimmick to try and keep his Luddites on board until Dec 12th.
  • Options
    Michael Gove thinks Boris won.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,910
    Evening all. The day the Poch turned :D ?!
  • Options
    edited November 2019

Is he in favour of leaving or remaining in the EU, Nick? He is leader of one of our two main political parties. What is his view? Let's let him lead us all.
  • Options
    I'm happy with that - Corbyn needed to destroy and humiliate Boris if he's going to overcome his lead, but he doesn't have it in him.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,930

That's a surprise Nick, I thought you'd go for Bozzer
    I'm not sure you can genuinely say somebody repeatedly laughed at was a clear winner
  • Options
    I may be biased but I think Boris did better than I expected there.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    matt said:

IanB2 said:

He could have produced Gladstonian oratory and Kantian thought and you’d still have whined about him.
    What a pair of Kants.
  • Options
    My prediction was a negative score draw.

Judging by your reactions that seems about right.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Corbyn won’t care though...He comes across as much more genuine who actually does care about people.

Blimey.

Must have been something REALLY strong in your drinking game. Was it industrial alcohol or meths?
  • Options
    They were both crap. Corbyn looks shifty, Johnson sounds shifty. Corbyn couldn't answer where he stands on Brexit, Johnson couldn't answer even a Christmas question without talking about Brexit.
  • Options
    I think Corbyn missed an open goal with the 40 hospitals thing. He should have pointed out that Boris was lying in response to a question about trust and personal integrity.
  • Options

Well what a shocker no knock out blows and no great revelation. Boris did better than I thought he might be was becoming a broken record towards the end. Corbyn didn’t break through on anything really but when on form was pretty personable.

And the whole thing is followed by I'm A Celebrity, which is what about 95% of the ITV audience was waiting for.

They probably spent the preceding hour watching Holby or Supermarket Sweep.
  • Options
    Gove now in spin room on BBC News Channel.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    Corbyn narrow win, but all his lines will be forgotten within a few hours, whereas 'get brexit done' will stick in the mind.
  • Options

My prediction was a negative score draw.

Judging by your reactions that seems about right.

Yeah, there was nothing newsworthy in there, although asking the sitting PM if he thought Prince Andrew was fit for purpose was interesting.
  • Options

The Monarhy. Not Andy.
    Both of the answers on the monarchy may end up being the most newsworthy part of the evening.
    Interesting, I remember corbyn response that I applauded but don’t remember johnsons
  • Options
    Quincel said:

Go on, I'll make myself a hostage to fortune:

I think Johnson edged the first half, Corbyn won the second by a bigger margin. Neither was great, but Corbyn wins the snap poll.

I think it was a game of three halves. Johnson won the first, Corbs the second and Johnson edged it in the third so I'm calling Johnson win.

Because: https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/11/07/which-issues-will-decide-general-election
  • Options
    BluerBlue said:

I'm happy with that - Corbyn needed to destroy and humiliate Boris if he's going to overcome his lead, but he doesn't have it in him.

Maybe not, but the election is not about Labour beating the Tories, its ensuring the Tories do not win by enough to, well, properly win.

Has Corbyn done enough to follow the pattern of 2017 and see polling continue to tick up? Will Labour members have despaired, or LDs be put off?
This discussion has been closed.