Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Bloomberg’s WH2020 bid looks serious and credible and it helps

Comments

• Options
    Documents about 'possible' discussions from over 2 years ago, when Boris wasn't PM?

weak sauce.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Wow ! Unredacted documents on the NHS.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

148grss said:

HYUFD said:

Wrong current polls show the Tories leading with 40s to 50s, 40 being the age most people now own a home

But Foxys argument seems to be that becoming older =/= becoming more likely to vote Tory, rather that the current crop of older people are more likely to vote Tory. So is the average 25-30 year old now, in 20 years, going to be likely to vote Tory at the same rate as current 45-50 year olds (as Foxy suggested would have been the case in the past), or has that trend broken?
    I was thinking about this during the PB Tory panic over some of the polling, but the Tory party have failed to win a lasting governing majority since Major, with the small blip of Cameron's majority not lasting and being overtaken by the Europe question. Did Thatcher break this age drift? Has something else happened that is making it near impossible for Tories to win a majority? I wonder if the Anyone But Conservative alliance is just too strong and that, as we see now, even unpopular parties with the voters will gain enough tactical votes once an election is called to keep Tories out of power. Is the base of each party enough that, if either side decides to vote tactically, we are now in an era of weak governments and the only response would be electoral reform and a more conciliatory approach to politics, with more emphasis on coalitions and common ground. With Labour losing Scotland they can't find a majority anywhere, and enough of the Wets seem happy voting for the LDs. The working class is shifting more Tory than the past, but I bet that will have a racial tinge to it, and therefore the working class that does still vote Labour will be more concentrated and therefore more efficient, whereas the white working class vote that the Tories get will be more spread thin, possibly just bolstering them in safe seats rather than winning Lab / LD seats...
    Housing affordability is important.

The young will not become more Conservative as they age if they don't own their own home.
    It has risen but by 34 over 50% own their own home, coincidentally 35 is the age voters now stop voting Labour with Tories leading with 35 to 54s

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/populationandmigration/populationestimates/articles/milestonesjourneyingintoadulthood/2019-02-18

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50543903
    You might like to consider what home ownership levels are in areas which are trending towards the Conservatives and what they are in areas which are trending away from the Conservatives.
    Home ownership levels are now rising again which is good news don't you think?
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

RIP Gary Rhodes age 59.

What a shame. I always found his recipes a bit too fussy, but he was a delight to watch.
    It took a long time for him to realise that taking his restaurant cooking to domestic environment simply didn’t work. It needed major modification (aka simplification). In that sense, he opened the door for chefs who grasped that significantly faster.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,115
    nunu2 said:

Why is Bojo having his AN interview so close to the election?
    He should get it over with pronto.

Postal votes? Loads of people will have sent them off and voted Con. @Big_G_NorthWales, for example, just to pick one at random from on here, Boris might bomb horribly with Neil but he will be unable to switch his vote to Labour. He might want to, he might lose sleep over it, but it will be too late.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    Jezza throwing another dead cat on the table after the Neil interview? :D
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    kamski said:

Charles said:

Finally watched the Corbyn-Neil interview. Of course I think he cane across shiftily, but i suspect both sides will be able to mine for social media clips so probably a score draw.

However what interests me is this:

Neil asked is the phrase “Rothschild Zionists rule Israel and the world” anti Semitic or not?

Corbyn didn’t and wouldn’t give a straight answer.

A simple yes would have closed it down

The only reason why I can think he wouldn’t have done that is he was aware/afraid that Neil had evidence that a friend/ally of Corbyn’s had said that (it turned out to be someone called Liam Moore who I’ve never heard of)

Can anyone else explain why Corbyn wouldn’t answer this question? It looked terrible.

I find the prevarication of this sort of thing puzzling from JC. He really doesn’t like commenting on specifics - on anti-semitism or otherwise (unless of course it’s rich people or Donald Trump).

Some of it is I think a clumsy way of trying to avoid a ‘gotchya’ moment but it doesn’t come across well at all. He should just say no, it’s unacceptable, I don’t want people who say that sort of thing in the Labour Party.”

The fact he doesn’t suggests underlying unease that there is more to come out of the woodwork, whether rightly or wrongly.
    Yes, he should have just said it's anti-semitic. I suspect the reason is his hostility to Israeli policy in the occupied territories, and a reluctance to start going down a path where criticism of Israel is banned as being anti-semitic. But in this case the above statement isn't even close to being borderline, and it shouldn't really take even a moment's thought to say "yes of course it's anti-semitic"

It just shows what a rubbish political operator Corbyn is, and actually stupid too. It's a tragedy, because I think a fairly radical Labour leader without the baggage and the stupidity but instead with political smarts would be winning any general election against the current grotesque caricature of a Conservative party.
    People say that a lot (your final paragraph) but taking one aspect of a counterfactual without the rest is pretty weak. If Corbyn wasn’t there, would the Euro referendum have gone a different way, would Cameron have chosen the time of his departure, would there have been a 2017 election and would there be an election now? The answer to all of those is, I’d venture, yes, yes, no, no.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    edited November 2019

Eh up.. Corbyn's got the unredacted version of the US trade talks papers.. about to 'reveal' what it says about the NHS.

Says the uncensored docs leave Johnson's claims NHS not on the table in tatters.

Not a bad dead cat after last night.

Nobody in Labour can explain why we would pay £500m a week* more for US drugs when there is absolutely no need to make such a deal.

*Mirror number.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

nunu2 said:

Postal votes? Loads of people will have sent them off and voted Con. @Big_G_NorthWales, for example, just to pick one at random from on here, Boris might bomb horribly with Neil but he will be unable to switch his vote to Labour. He might want to, he might lose sleep over it, but it will be too late.
    Short of Corbyn, McDonnell and co standing down I'm not sure any changes will make anyone who has voted Tory losing sleep.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Hardly a dead cat if it it concerns a major policy area, in this case the NHS and US trade talks.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

148grss said:

But Foxys argument seems to be that becoming older =/= becoming more likely to vote Tory, rather that the current crop of older people are more likely to vote Tory. So is the average 25-30 year old now, in 20 years, going to be likely to vote Tory at the same rate as current 45-50 year olds (as Foxy suggested would have been the case in the past), or has that trend broken?
    I was thinking about this during the PB Tory panic over some of the polling, but the Tory party have failed to win a lasting governing majority since Major, with the small blip of Cameron's majority not lasting and being overtaken by the Europe question. Did Thatcher break this age drift? Has something else happened that is making it near impossible for Tories to win a majority? I wonder if the Anyone But Conservative alliance is just too strong and that, as we see now, even unpopular parties with the voters will gain enough tactical votes once an election is called to keep Tories out of power. Is the base of each party enough that, if either side decides to vote tactically, we are now in an era of weak governments and the only response would be electoral reform and a more conciliatory approach to politics, with more emphasis on coalitions and common ground. With Labour losing Scotland they can't find a majority anywhere, and enough of the Wets seem happy voting for the LDs. The working class is shifting more Tory than the past, but I bet that will have a racial tinge to it, and therefore the working class that does still vote Labour will be more concentrated and therefore more efficient, whereas the white working class vote that the Tories get will be more spread thin, possibly just bolstering them in safe seats rather than winning Lab / LD seats...

Housing affordability is important.

The young will not become more Conservative as they age if they don't own their own home.
    It has risen but by 34 over 50% own their own home, coincidentally 35 is the age voters now stop voting Labour with Tories leading with 35 to 54s

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/populationandmigration/populationestimates/articles/milestonesjourneyingintoadulthood/2019-02-18

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50543903
    You might like to consider what home ownership levels are in areas which are trending towards the Conservatives and what they are in areas which are trending away from the Conservatives.
    It is but there's a lot of backlog to make up.
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453
    Corbyn is unhinged.
  • Options
    SunnyJimSunnyJim Posts: 1,106
    nico67 said:

Wow ! Unredacted documents on the NHS.

You can understand the desperation for something to distract from last night.

Might work but it's pretty obvious.
  • Options
    Corbyn's second document actually indicates the NHS will get cheaper drugs - that's what Corbyn's getting angry at this morning https://t.co/5hmQRrEFBU https://t.co/1dCrA8MvkN
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Hardly a dead cat if it it concerns a major policy area, in this case the NHS and US trade talks.
    Rubbish. lots of things are discussed and then discarded in any form of initial talks and negotiations.

This is entirely meaningless, as nigh on 99% of these things would never happen.
  • Options

Eh up.. Corbyn's got the unredacted version of the US trade talks papers.. about to 'reveal' what it says about the NHS.

Says the uncensored docs leave Johnson's claims NHS not on the table in tatters.

Nobody in Labour can explain why we would pay £500m a week* more for US drugs when there is absolutely no need to make such a deal.

*Mirror number.
    We have no need to make such a deal. US Pharma, OTOH, would very much like an extra £500m per week.
    To do the much vaunted Trade Deal with the USA, the NHS is a target from the US side
    Nobody in the Conservatives can explain why we would reduce a trade surplus with the USA when there is absolutely no need to make such a deal.
  • Options

*Mirror number.
    Trade deals tend to make the cost of imports FALL.

Which is why domestic producers often oppose them.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,898
    Peter Hitchens has a big row with Andrew Neil last year over gas attacks on Syria. Recent reports seem to back PH’s argument

https://youtu.be/6TvNt-fhsew
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

*Mirror number.
    IIRC, because I did look it up but have forgotten the exact figure, that would be an increase larger than the entire current NHS drug budget. It's bonkers to suggest we would want such a deal.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

nunu2 said:

Short of Corbyn, McDonnell and co standing down I'm not sure any changes will make anyone who has voted Tory losing sleep.
    Our postal votes arrive next week.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited November 2019

It is but there's a lot of backlog to make up.
    Indeed there is. We need to keep up with policies like Help to Buy and others that have first halted and now started to reverse the decline.
  • Options

*Mirror number.
    Was only half-listening, but isn't it partly about agreeing to lengthen patents so the NHS has to pay for branded versions for longer?

As to why we'd agree to it, presumably in order to get access to whatever US markets we want in return?
  • Options
    Labour and Corbyn getting a real drubbing from the press

This great coup is backfiring big time on Corbyn
  • Options
    I think that is about right. What a contrast with the amoral Johnson.

What have we done to deserve these two?
  • Options
    glw said:

*Mirror number.
    IIRC, because I did look it up but have forgotten the exact figure, that would be an increase larger than the entire current NHS drug budget. It's bonkers to suggest we would want such a deal.
    As I said in another post, we (the UK) do not want such a deal. The US, OTOH, would love such a deal.
    Trump is in the Whitehouse. He has said the NHS is on the table if we want a deal.
    America First!
  • Options

Documents about 'possible' discussions from over 2 years ago, when Boris wasn't PM?
    weak sauce.

On the contrary. The situation now - a trade deal with Trump's America with us outside the EU and led by a friend of Trump - makes NHS concessions far more likely than it would have appeared 2 years ago.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    No lies or bribe too big for Labour right now. A desperate party in a desperate state.

• Options
    So now Andrew Neil has done demonstrated that Corbyn is completely out of his depth and unsuited to being PM, when do we get the spectacle of him doing the same to Johnson?

Election 2019: A choice between Dumb and Dumber.
  • Options
    FlannerFlanner Posts: 407

Trade deals tend to make the cost of imports FALL.

Which is why domestic producers often oppose them.

Not trade deals with the USA - under Obama just as much as under Trump. Which is why British consumers oppose them.
    Only Americans and naively dogmatic idealogues support trade deals with the USA
    Especially with a USA led by an obsessive Make America Great protectionist.
  • Options
    Barry Gardiner tried to tell off the excellent @LibbyWienerITV asking a question about anti-semitism
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    edited November 2019
    matt said:

RIP Gary Rhodes age 59.

What a shame. I always found his recipes a bit too fussy, but he was a delight to watch.
    It took a long time for him to realise that taking his restaurant cooking to domestic environment simply didn’t work. It needed major modification (aka simplification). In that sense, he opened the door for chefs who grasped that significantly faster.
    Indeed. It is also why I took on many of Jamie Oliver's recipes (back when he was a fresh-faced slip of a lad). Also, rather surprisingly, Gordon F***ing Ramsy has produced some splendid recipes on Youtube and he never swears in them so even better.

https://youtu.be/-2ccgDhRsTY
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

glw said:

*Mirror number.
    As I said in another post, we (the UK) do not want such a deal. The US, OTOH, would love such a deal.
    Trump is in the Whitehouse. He has said the NHS is on the table if we want a deal.
    America First!
    Trump can ask for the moon on a stick, it doesn't mean we would give it to him. Especially if it had a £26 billion a year price tag.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

nunu2 said:

Our postal votes arrive next week.
    I vote in the ballot box. It is an important part of democracy for me, I enjoy doing it - and since we had kids we have always made sure to take them with us when we go to vote so they can see us doing it and learn how important it is :)
  • Options
    Another bombshell: these documents prove Corbyn lied on the TV debate. Not once do these documents mention “full market access for US products”, despite Corbyn implying he was reading verbatim from the documents https://t.co/fXAZvAQfqF https://t.co/6nAgl0gO5G
  • Options
    This big NHS reveal is turning out to be the political equivalent of a drunk windmilling and flailing on a Saturday night.

If you're not watching Sky then turn it on and see how pathetic it looks.

Fair enough though, if Boris had been destroyed the night before the Tories would be doing something similar.
  • Options

"we" voted for populism, if the electorate at large = "we". Brexit, Johnson and Corbyn are all the product of this stupidity.
  • Options
    FlannerFlanner Posts: 407

GIN1138 said:

Rubbish. lots of things are discussed and then discarded in any form of initial talks and negotiations.

This is entirely meaningless, as nigh on 99% of these things would never happen.
    So which trade deals that Johnson is boasting about WILL happen?

Canada? They've already said there's no point, because we've conceded so much already. Australia? Not interested.

Who else is on Johnson's priority list? The Faeroes?
  • Options
    SunnyJim said:

This big NHS reveal is turning out to be the political equivalent of a drunk windmilling and flailing on a Saturday night.

If you're not watching Sky then turn it on and see how pathetic it looks.

Fair enough though, if Boris had been destroyed the night before the Tories would be doing something similar.

I don't know why they try these big set pieces in the mornings, as there's bound to be an absolute bin fire in the afternoon, which ends up leading the 6 O'Clock News.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

I'm not a fan of the Neil/Paxman approach. I've always felt a more "subtle" interview style is better for both interviewer and the interviewee but appreciate I'm in the minority there.

I feel the same. I find the Grand Inquisitor style tedious and not conducive to helping me form (or change) a view. I would like a full hour with a deeper, more sincere conversation.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1199637572265349120

Corbyn just making shit up in a panic after yesterday....

wheels coming off already.
  • Options
    This is all going to be furiously disputed through the day, no question ..trying to get link to the full documents so you can have a proper look - important tho Corbyn doesn't provide evidence that ministers have agreed that health service shoudl be part of a trade deal with US
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    This is pretty desperate stuff from Labour this morning. That interview really did demolish Corbyn and the entire Labour strategy.
  • Options

Think you're wrong there. There are lots of non-partisan, apolitical type voters who might be put off voting Con if Boris Johnson has a meltdown.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Corbyn just trying to move the focus back to the NHS which is one of Labour's stronger areas tbh.
    Their supporters will ignore the fact they're lieing toerags and just scream and scream and scream about the TORAH the TORAH, I mean the TORIES.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,639
    edited November 2019
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

I wonder how dissimilar the stats are for the UK ?
    https://twitter.com/KBAndersen/status/1198653456581562368

I suspect not a lot. It is why we don't really see people becoming more Tory with age like previous generations did.
    The age divide is much larger than it has ever been, so I can't make sense of your statement.
    I am saying that historically previous generations trended Tory as they aged. I think that less likely for those born from the mid Seventies onwards. The economics in the tweet is part of the reason, social attitudes have a part too.
    It is why the Tories have not encouraged youngsters to register to vote, while other parties have.
    The cohort a bit older than that have trended Tory massively as they've passed age 65, such that the difference between the Tory lead in the 65+ age group, and the general population, is now much larger than it has ever been. On the face of it that suggests that the rate at which people become Tory as they age is even greater than in the past.
    Certainly that is true of the boomer cohort, but will it be true for Gen X and Millenials? I think we are looking at a cohort effect, not an age effect.
    It is fairly simple. There is an age impact that as you get older you dislike change more, become more risk averse and develop nostalgia, so in short on average people get more conservative, at least with a small c.
    On top of that there is a separate capitalist question, which is what Corbynism is challenging. The current over 65s have done better from capitalism than any generation before and will likely do better than at least the next two or three generations that follow them. Of course they strongly prefer establishment to Corbynism.
    The generations that are really struggling to get a house or build up capital are obviously going to be more open to smashing the system and see what happens.
    It will be up to the next Tory government to restore the balance between the generations. If they do not then eventually in a capitalist democracy, where those without capital become the majority, we end up with Corbynism.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,398
    edited November 2019

Corbyn's second document actually indicates the NHS will get cheaper drugs - that's what Corbyn's getting angry at this morning https://t.co/5hmQRrEFBU https://t.co/1dCrA8MvkN

The screenshot on guido doesn't say that at all - it mentions discussions about impacts of patents on NHS access to generics and clarifies in parentheses that generics are cheaper drugs. Unless patent terms are reduced, access to generics will stay the same (or decrease if patent terms extended).
    I don't think the pictued doc says anything interesting/non-obvious at all, but it certainly doesn't say anything about the NHS getting cheaper drugs from a US trade deal.
  • Options
    So am I understanding right from Corbyn's big reveal - US trade talks are quite advanced so we could get a deal soon and the UK hasn't agreed to NHS being on the table?

Ummm . . . sounds like good news to me?
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578

GIN1138 said:

But this was clearly the one big bombshell Labour had, ready to drop, when things got sticky. It is clear they were unnerved by yesterday.

So that’s it. Labour has an empty bench. The reserves have been thrown into battle. Let the Last Fortnight commence
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

GIN1138 said:

I'm not a fan of the Neil/Paxman approach. I've always felt a more "subtle" interview style is better for both interviewer and the interviewee but appreciate I'm in the minority there.

I feel the same. I find the Grand Inquisitor style tedious and not conducive to helping me form (or change) a view. I would like a full hour with a deeper, more sincere conversation.
    I thought Emily's quiet, deadly destruction of Prince Andrew was much more interesting... ;)
  • Options
    Charles said:

Finally watched the Corbyn-Neil interview. Of course I think he cane across shiftily, but i suspect both sides will be able to mine for social media clips so probably a score draw.
    However what interests me is this:
    Neil asked is the phrase “Rothschild Zionists rule Israel and the world” anti Semitic or not?
    Corbyn didn’t and wouldn’t give a straight answer.
    A simple yes would have closed it down
    The only reason why I can think he wouldn’t have done that is he was aware/afraid that Neil had evidence that a friend/ally of Corbyn’s had said that (it turned out to be someone called Liam Moore who I’ve never heard of)
    Can anyone else explain why Corbyn wouldn’t answer this question? It looked terrible.

Perhaps watch again if you can bear it. Because he did answer it. He said it was an antisemitic trope.
  • Options

This is all going to be furiously disputed through the day, no question ..trying to get link to the full documents so you can have a proper look - important tho Corbyn doesn't provide evidence that ministers have agreed that health service shoudl be part of a trade deal with US

Are you plagerising Laura K? 😜
  • Options
    Bit bonkers having NHS staff hand out the documents
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Think you're wrong there. There are lots of non-partisan, apolitical type voters who might be put off voting Con if Boris Johnson has a meltdown.
    Then if they've not made their mind up they can delay voting until General Election day as I do. What's the issue?
  • Options
    nunu2 said:

Are you plagerising Laura K? 😜
    Sorry. Should have named tweet. My mistake
  • Options
    AramintaMoonbeamQCAramintaMoonbeamQC Posts: 3,589
    edited November 2019
    11% Tory lead on new YouGov (25/26 Nov).

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1199638318331379712
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Corbyn just trying to move the focus back to the NHS which is one of Labour's stronger areas tbh.
    Their supporters will ignore the fact they're lieing toerags and just scream and scream and scream about the TORAH the TORAH, I mean the TORIES.

All Boris has to do is say if the NHS is not protected hell walk away from a trade deal
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

I thought Emily's quiet, deadly destruction of Prince Andrew was much more interesting... ;)

A very good example. Maitlis is good at the 1 on 1.
  • Options
    Alastair Thompson
    @AlastairJT
    ·
    7m
    Jeremy Corbyn's 'documents' refer to things dating up to June 2019.

Boris Johnson became Prime Minister in July 2019.

Even if they claimed what he thought they did (they don't, the NHS isn't for sale) - Corbyn is intentionally misleading the public.

Johnson canned those talks.
  • Options

Big G, you could at least credit Laura K for her tweet
  • Options

Ooh MRP (readies popcorn).

Suggests Labour now on low 30s. Tory share stubborn though.
  • Options

It encapsulates the choice very clearly - and also makes it very easy.

Would you rather have an amoral leader along the lines of Nixon or Kennedy or an absolutist leader along the lines of Khrushchev or Mao?

Remember this is not theoretical. John McDonnell quoted admiringly from the writings of one of the 20th centuries' greatest mass murderers in Parliament only a few years ago.
  • Options
    alb1onalb1on Posts: 698

Barry Gardiner tried to tell off the excellent @LibbyWienerITV asking a question about anti-semitism

Makes Geoffrey Howe's dead sheep look like a raging tiger.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Big G, you could at least credit Laura K for her tweet
    Yes I should have named her tweet
  • Options
    They also discussed how to feed the media lines to stop the UK public realizing the NHS was up for sale ! Unbelievable .
  • Options

The link would certainly be interesting. Do you think you'll be able to get it?
  • Options

Bit bonkers having NHS staff hand out the documents

It was a bit pantomime which pretty much tells you how much of a smoking gun these papers really are.

Very silly from Labour.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,962
    edited November 2019
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Another lie to ask the lying liar about. Of course he'll just lie about it.

https://twitter.com/afneil/status/1199472538063118336?s=20

Just as a matter of interest, what is the SNP policy on that ?
    Easy to find if one can be bothered.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-48069470
    My question was regarding the Euro.
    It is the intention of an independent SNP led Scotland to rejoin the EU, and it might be a condition of membership.
    And it might not. Twisting itself in circles over events that the likely winners of the GE says it will not even allow Scotland to decide upon would be a grievous waste of effort for the SNP at the moment. As it happens I wouldn't have much objection to joining the Euro but the chances of that option getting a fair hearing are between nada & f.a.
    It wasn't intended as a gotcha question - I'm genuinely interested in the answer. While I'm in favour of retaining the union, I'm not an absolutist on the issue, and if there is a popular will for independence (which for now is not at all clear), then it will happen.
    I can understand the reluctance to trade in hypotheticals, but it's a pretty key issue for the future of any independent Scotland.
    Fair enough.
    My position is the same as it was in 2014, I'm open to the options, though at least the currency union with its Pollyanaesque presumption of good will from Westminster has been taken out and shot (ably helped by the current mob of reactionaries and ultra nationalists running the BJ project).
    The giving hostage words to fortune point is crucial; if the current incumbent PM of the UK can openly lie about what Sturgeon said, just imagine the week in, week out crowing if she took a distinct position on the Euro. Apart from anything else Sturgeon cannot speak for the EU, and they're not going to speak out on the subject.
  • Options

Ooh MRP (readies popcorn).

Suggests Labour now on low 30s. Tory share stubborn though.
    Can't wait. Good thing I'm working until 9.45pm tonight
  • Options
    Jezza throwing the civil service under the bus?
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,679
    So whilst the press will try and dissect the reality of this statement from Labour, most people will just get the trickle: NHS, Tories, USA. It will bump against their priors: privatisation, US healthcare is awful, Trump. Even if the reality isn't as bad as Labour are making out, it will move the needle.
  • Options
    Mr. kinabalu, didn't watch it, but wasn't Prince Andrew's immolation largely due to himself?

Miss Vance, that sounds wretched, not redacting the names of civil servants who are just doing their jobs.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,821
    isam said:

Peter Hitchens has a big row with Andrew Neil last year over gas attacks on Syria. Recent reports seem to back PH’s argument

https://youtu.be/6TvNt-fhsew

I had a big row with PB Tories on the same issue.

It appears I was right not that I expect any of the aforesaid PB Tories to admit it.

BTW the rumour I posted about the u redacted NHS sell off were also correct to my surprise will have to believe the source in future.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,639
    edited November 2019

"we" voted for populism, if the electorate at large = "we". Brexit, Johnson and Corbyn are all the product of this stupidity.
    I agree but think on top of that, we have surrendered our parties to idiots. "Normal" people (hate that phrase but cant think of better...) prefer to go out for dinner with friends, watch the football or go to a theatre or concert, than engage in party politics in their free time. We have left it to the extremists, who in turn make engaging in party politics even more soul destroying, creating a negative loop pushing our parties to the extreme.
    Perhaps it is time to admit many of us, myself definitely included, dont put enough time into civic society.
  • Options
    Nick Yeardley

Jeremy Corbyn repeats to @PickardJE no income tax or national insurance rises for those earning under £80k.

But last night said Marriage Allowance - a tax break for those earning under £80k - would go.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    148grss said:

So whilst the press will try and dissect the reality of this statement from Labour, most people will just get the trickle: NHS, Tories, USA. It will bump against their priors: privatisation, US healthcare is awful, Trump. Even if the reality isn't as bad as Labour are making out, it will move the needle.

Or as it looks at the moment they're spending the press conference talking about anti semitism and getting hammered for their lack of evidence. Must be a sign they know they are struggling in the polls?
  • Options

That's an interesting consistent rise on the red line (and consistent fall on yellow) that doesn't seem to be mirrored in all other polls.
  • Options
    This stunt by Corbyn will backfire badly.

Watch by the end of the day.
  • Options
    Sky confirming these documents were from Theresa May's time and before Boris Johnson came into office in Downing Street
  • Options
    glw said:

glw said:

America First!
    Trump can ask for the moon on a stick, it doesn't mean we would give it to him. Especially if it had a £26 billion a year price tag.
    So Boris & the Brexiteers banging on about how the EU stops us having a Trade Deal with the USA is just another Brexit fantasy?
  • Options

Looks like a decent YouGov for the blues despite Labour closing the gap by 1. Greens on 2% will fully be going to Labour and not much more to squeeze for well anyone there really.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,331
    GIN1138 said:

He is a complete shit
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,821
    GIN1138 said:

Tories throwing the NHS under the USA juggernaut is the story here.

Nice try though.
  • Options
    148grss said:

I doubt it will cut through at all
  • Options
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932

Sky confirming these documents were from Theresa May's time and before Boris Johnson came into office in Downing Street

So that changes the USA's views and red lines in what way?
  • Options

Would you rather have an amoral leader along the lines of Nixon or Kennedy or an absolutist leader along the lines of Khrushchev or Mao?

Remember this is not theoretical. John McDonnell quoted admiringly from the writings of one of the 20th centuries' greatest mass murderers in Parliament only a few years ago.
    What choice? Corbyn's chances of leading the next Government are vanishingly small.

The best hope for someone like me is that a Hung Parliament leads to the removal of both leaders and other desireable outcomes like stopping Brexit.

It is a slim hope but I'll vote for it anyway.
  • Options

That's an interesting consistent rise on the red line (and consistent fall on yellow) that doesn't seem to be mirrored in all other polls.
    Looks like the remainers willing to lend votes to the LDs are falling away. A Level Politics textbooks in the future will view Jo's 'I'm running to be Prime Minister' claim in the same way as 'Go back to your constituencies and prepare for government'.

Would also be interested to see the breakdown of Other, to see where votes are shifting to SNP/Plaid.
  • Options

148grss said:

I doubt it will cut through at all
    It will be the big issue in the final week. Trump is here. His ego require him to be the big issue of the day whether it is helpful or not, and his mouth normally ensures he is.
  • Options

Mr. kinabalu, didn't watch it, but wasn't Prince Andrew's immolation largely due to himself?

Yes. But all the more effective for the format.
  • Options
    So the Bozo argument will be the previous cabinet were going to include the NHS in trade talks but don’t worry a future Tory government won’t !
  • Options
    nunu2 said:

This stunt by Corbyn will backfire badly.

Watch by the end of the day.

It's unravelling already.

"Liam Fox was at first meeting which was back in July 2017 - Most of the documents do not relate to medicines or the NHS and can't see in documents yet mentions of other ministers there" Laura K.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

The link would certainly be interesting. Do you think you'll be able to get it?
    I think it was a tweet from Guido but a lot happening this morning
  • Options
    edited November 2019

What choice? Corbyn's chances of leading the next Government are vanishingly small.

The best hope for someone like me is that a Hung Parliament leads to the removal of both leaders and other desireable outcomes like stopping Brexit.

It is a slim hope but I'll vote for it anyway.
    You’re as foolish as the Leave voters who didn’t really want Leave, but voted for it just to give the government a kicking, then hated what they’d done when they found out.

If enough people think as myopically as you - ‘Oh Corbyn can’t win, I’m save to vote against the Toroes’, then of course Corbyn can win. And will win.
This discussion has been closed.