Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Your regular reminder that hypothetical polls can be as accura

SystemSystem Posts: 11,020
edited December 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Your regular reminder that hypothetical polls can be as accurate as an American war film

Westminster voting intention…

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,280
    Indeed.
  • Options
    Agree.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    edited December 2019
    I always thought the idea there would be a Con collapse after 31/10/19 if we didn't Brexit was wishful drinking from Remain....

Oh and good afternoon PB :)
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,280
    FWIW I now expect the polls to stabilise a bit. I think that the Labour vote has probably peaked and the Tory lead will stay around the 10% mark until election day.

This hypothetical polling prediction is of course as equally valuable as the example in the header.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    DavidL said:

FWIW I now expect the polls to stabilise a bit. I think that the Labour vote has probably peaked and the Tory lead will stay around the 10% mark until election day.

Agreed.
  • Options
    Survation is due out tonight I think, be interesting to see what that says
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    OK but all polls are hypothetical (if there were a GE tomorrow...)

And what were the VI figures *without* the hypothetical at the time of the hypothetical poll, for comparison?
  • Options
    'Hypothetical polls are a lot like Hawaiian pizzas, they should be avoided at all costs by right thinking people everywhere.'

What a brilliant analogy, articles like this is why I read PB.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,419
    People are very poor predictors of their own behaviour. Sensible reminder.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    What Tory majority was forecast when the options for leader were polled wasn’t Johnson projected to get a 60 seat majority? Thought I’d save H the effort of reminding us!
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,349

Clinging to the wreckage,.
  • Options

Clinging to the wreckage,.
    I'm not seeing much of a wreckage, I'm sticking to a HP for now
  • Options

'Hypothetical polls are a lot like Hawaiian pizzas, they should be avoided at all costs by right thinking people everywhere.'

What a brilliant analogy, articles like this is why I read PB.

The unfailing humility of its excellent thread-writers is a further reason for returning loyally to the Site.
  • Options
    speedy2speedy2 Posts: 981
    edited December 2019
    From previous thread:
    Good and Bad news for the Conservatives.
    The bad news is that consumer confidence for November came in at -14, the worst in any election since 1983 apart from 2010 which was at -16. In 2017 it was -10, and Major in 1992 had it at -8.
    Consumer confidence being above -10 has correctly predicted government majorities in the past 8 out of 9 elections, 1997 was the only time it got it wrong.
    The good news is that their predicted majority with this week's opinion polls is stable, no change with my swingometer at a majority of 24-88 same as past week, and at 347 (up 2) with Electoral Calculus using the average regional subsamples of all pollsters.
  • Options
    I got really bad news for the SNP.
    This week is the first week that I have the SNP bellow 40% in the average scottish subsamples.
    It's CON 25 LAB 19 LD 15 SNP 38 GRN 1 BRX 2 in scotland.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718
    speedy2 said:

From previous thread:
    The bad news is that consumer confidence for November came in at -14, the worst in any election since 1983 apart from 2010 which was at -16. In 2017 it was -10, and Major in 1992 had it at -8.
    Consumer confidence being above -10 has correctly predicted government majorities in the past 8 out of 9 elections, 1997 was the only time it got it wrong.
    The good news is that their predicted majority with this week's opinion polls is stable, no change with my swingometer at a majority of 24-88 same as past week, and at 347 (up 2) with Electoral Calculus using the average regional subsamples of all pollsters.

Odd on Tory Majority with Betfair have drifted a tad to 1.51.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,891
    IshmaelZ said:

OK but all polls are hypothetical (if there were a GE tomorrow...)

And what were the VI figures *without* the hypothetical at the time of the hypothetical poll, for comparison?

off the top of my head, it was around Con 37, Lab 24, LD 20, BXP 10.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    GIN1138 said:

I always thought the idea there would be a Con collapse after 31/10/19 if we didn't Brexit was wishful drinking from Remain....

Oh and good afternoon PB :)

HY won’t thank you for reminding us that he is a remainer.
  • Options

• Options
    edited December 2019
    speedy2 said:

This week is the first week that I have the SNP bellow 40% in the average scottish subsamples.

The other joy inthe GE is if the sainted Nicola gets a kicking, seems unlikely but we can always hope.
  • Options

Needs a touch of chilli to balance out the sweetness of the pineapple. And lose the ham. Yum.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    Is my poll addiction linked to my pineapple pizza addiction? :o
  • Options

I am a pineapple pizza lover, and I approve of this message.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Excellent article and also a reminder to some of the rampers above that both Panelbase and CR saw the Labour polling momentum stopped and in the case of the latter reversed. Reading much of the commentary here and indeed elsewhere the traffic is all one way and it really isn't at the moment.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    speedy2 said:

From previous thread:

Interesting views. Could the 1997 exception be the result of high confidence because everyone knew Blair's Labour were going to win?
  • Options

speedy2 said:

The other joy inthe GE is if the sainted Nicola gets a kicking, seems unlikely but we can always hope.
    You Tories love a violent metaphor when it comes to women pols you don't like.
  • Options

I’m hungry now...
  • Options
    What`s Farage been up to - a bit quiet isn`t he? The old Brexit-blocker.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,122
    GIN1138 said:

To be fair, presumably most of that particular poll was done before Johnson's deal was agreed.

I do think extending without a deal would have been a different story.
  • Options
    speedy2 said:

Labour 19 seats in Scotland? What?
  • Options
    edited December 2019

speedy2 said:

Those are percentages, otherwise Scottish PB Tories would have been cockahoop
  • Options
    How long until todays polls?

• Options
    edited December 2019
    Stocky said:

speedy2 said:

From previous thread:

Well Labour have closed the gap by 1% since last week but the extra evaporation of the Brexit Party is helping theoretically the Conservatives in Labour seats.
    But it is close, another point decline will push my swingometer to the 2-64 majority range, and you do have more and more pollsters predicting a Hung Parliament and the really bad consumer confidence figures.
    Also there is an error in the Electoral Calculus model that it doesn't account very well for the Brexit Party not standing in Conservative seats, it subtracts from them in Labour seats but does not add them in Conservative seats, it would overestimate conservative losses if the polls swing that far.
    I noticed it yesterday playing with it.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    edited December 2019
    GIN1138 said:

I think it might well have done were it not for the Benn Act. This gave "Boris" an alibi. It was a grievous error from 'my' side.
  • Options
    RobD said:

speedy2 said:

Those are percentages, otherwise Scottish PB Tories would have been cockahoop
    Ah, got it - sorry!
  • Options
    If Survation shows the gap tightening - me thinks that 1.51 majority is going to go out
  • Options

speedy2 said:

Percentages.
  • Options

If Survation shows the gap tightening - me thinks that 1.51 majority is going to go out

Clever. ;)
  • Options

speedy2 said:

What nonsense, I hope Corbyn gets as match of a kicking in the polls, to suggest its violence related is utterly preposterous. You guys up there are very touchy about the sainted Nicola.. a bad result in the GE and the wheels might fall off.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

GIN1138 said:

I think it might well have done were it not for the Benn Act. This gave "Boris" an alibi. It was a grievous error from 'my' side.
    Why is Boris in quotes? Is he someone else disguised as Boris?
  • Options
    JameiJamei Posts: 50
    My leaflet count in Cambridge so far: LibDem 22 (11 of which sent by post), Labour 6 (2 of which sent by post).
    Had a LibDem canvasser today, I told him I'd voted LibDem in 2010 and 2015 but wouldn't be doing so this time. As I refused to say who I would vote for he no doubt correctly assumed I will be voting Tory. He didn't ask why they had lost my vote though, which was a shame, but presumably I'm a lost cause now.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Clever. ;)
    I laid some more last night
  • Options

speedy2 said:

We do need a new name for this, victimhood by proxy?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,612
    I had a Hawaiian pizza in Pisa. Super thin base. Delicious.

On the menu is said 'Haway Pizza' - must have been a special for Geordies.
  • Options
    speedy2 said:

Stocky said:

speedy2 said:

From previous thread:

Well Labour have closed the gap by 1% since last week but the extra evaporation of the Brexit Party is helping theoretically the Conservatives in Labour seats.
    But it is close, another point decline will push my swingometer to the 2-64 majority range, and you do have more and more pollsters predicting a Hung Parliament and the really bad consumer confidence figures.
    Also there is an error in the Electoral Calculus model that it doesn't account very well for the Brexit Party not standing in Conservative seats, it subtracts from them in Labour seats but does not add them in Conservative seats, it would overestimate conservative losses if the polls swing that far.
    So you are saying that Electoral Calculus underplays Tories` projected seats?
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013
    Jamei said:

My leaflet count in Cambridge so far: LibDem 22 (11 of which sent by post), Labour 6 (2 of which sent by post).
    Had a LibDem canvasser today, I told him I'd voted LibDem in 2010 and 2015 but wouldn't be doing so this time. As I refused to say who I would vote for he no doubt correctly assumed I will be voting Tory. He didn't ask why they had lost my vote though, which was a shame, but presumably I'm a lost cause now.

So why then?
  • Options
    This consumer confidence thing is...interesting. I've never heard that before?
    Did anyone use it in 2017 at the time to predict a HP before everyone else?
  • Options
    Jamei said:

Voting Tory in Cambridge, you are, for sure.
  • Options
    Jamei said:

What would your answer have been?

Sign of a weak canvass not getting as much useful info as possible...
  • Options
    Looking forward to seeing Trump this week anyway. I have a feeling he'll be on top top form. He has really blossomed in the last year or so. Bad news for his rivals.
    #ukchampionshipsnooker
  • Options
    Jamei said:

Don't you want to keep the terrifying Marxist out?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Looking forward to seeing Trump this week anyway. I have a feeling he'll be on top top form. He has really blossomed in the last year or so. Bad news for his rivals.
    #ukchampionshipsnooker

Time was when most people in the country would have known his name. Back in ‘85 18.5 million watched Taylor beat Davies in a final that finished after midnight.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115

Hopefully not with a shite topping?
  • Options
    felix said:

Excellent article and also a reminder to some of the rampers above that both Panelbase and CR saw the Labour polling momentum stopped and in the case of the latter reversed. Reading much of the commentary here and indeed elsewhere the traffic is all one way and it really isn't at the moment.

I'm afraid you can't read anything about momentum being stopped or reversed into individual polls (not ones of conventional size, anyway). Or anything positive about momentum. You have to look at averages.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1201161147333980171

It's really now or never for Lib Dem voters (that extra 5%), to decide whether they prefer Corbyn or Brexit
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    speedy2 said:

Stocky said:

speedy2 said:

From previous thread:

Who are the pollsters predicting a hung parliament?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115
    Jamei said:

How the hell are the LibDems affording 11 postal leaflets??? Those expenses are going to need crawling over with a fine tooth comb......
  • Options

It's really now or never for Lib Dem voters (that extra 5%), to decide whether they prefer Corbyn or Brexit

No. Most of the extra 5% are now in Tory facing seats where the decision on whether they wish to influence the election outcome sits with Labour voters.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

No. Most of the extra 5% are now in Tory facing seats where the decision on whether they wish to influence the election outcome sits with Labour voters.
    Isn't it a bit of both? Surely in some Labour/Tory marginals the vote is split between Labour/LD?
  • Options
    JameiJamei Posts: 50

Jamei said:

The whole Stop Brexit thing. I voted remain but it only took me a few hours to get over the shock and look forward to a decent EEA-type close relationship model which I assumed the LibDems would be pushing for. The attempt to overturn the result I find absolutely outrageous. I will now accept whatever type of Brexit seems most easily achievable. As to stopping Corbyn, it's clear a vote for the LibDems won't achieve that because they will prop him up in pursuit of their revoke policy.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Stocky said:

Why is Boris in quotes? Is he someone else disguised as Boris?

That is exactly it. The inverteds signify the construct as opposed to the flesh & blood unit. An important distinction because it is the construct that is running in the election. We are being asked to vote not for Boris Johnson but for "Boris". It was "Boris" on Marr this morning. The star of the Tory PPB last week was "Boris". If the Cons win a big majority it will be a triumph for "Boris". Where is Boris Johnson in all of this? Nobody knows.
  • Options
    NovoNovo Posts: 27

Jamei said:

How the hell are the LibDems affording 11 postal leaflets??? Those expenses are going to need crawling over with a fine tooth comb......
  • Options
    PaulMPaulM Posts: 613

Howay would be the Geordie special. Haway is the Sunderland version.

Laura Pidcock would know this. Islington Labour not so much.

• Options
    NovoNovo Posts: 27
    Targeted mail shot from voting pool analysis!
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,334
    edited December 2019

Jamei said:

Probably national leaflets which don't count in local spending if they don't mention the constituency. I had one this week from Sarah Wollaston, saying she'd decided to leave the Tories and I should too.

Good targeting :)
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    For those worried about / hopeful for a repeat of GE 2017:
    Average Tory lead (last 6 polls) 11 days ahead of GE19 = 9.2%
    Average Tory lead 11 days ahead of GE17 = 8.8%
  • Options

Bearing in mind the lead needed this time to cause a HP is apparently a lot higher, that's good for me
  • Options

Jamei said:

Probably national leaflets wshich don't count in local spending if they don't mention the constituency. I had one this week from Sarah Wollaston, saying she'd decided to leave the Tories and I should too.

So much for stopping climate change. How many trees are being cut down to produce all these leaflets.
  • Options

Jamei said:

Most will have gone out b4 the deadline? If I was receiving 11 LD winning here leaflets, or that many from any party, I would be getting seriously pissed off...
  • Options

Bearing in mind the lead needed this time to cause a HP is apparently a lot higher, that's good for me
    And also bearing in mind that the lead was dramatically over-estimated last time, which may have now been corrected for.
  • Options

Time was when most people in the country would have known his name. Back in ‘85 18.5 million watched Taylor beat Davies in a final that finished after midnight.

Yes. Such a shame. The standard is immeasurably better now too.
  • Options
    Jamei said:

Jamei said:

The whole Stop Brexit thing. I voted remain but it only took me a few hours to get over the shock and look forward to a decent EEA-type close relationship model which I assumed the LibDems would be pushing for. The attempt to overturn the result I find absolutely outrageous. I will now accept whatever type of Brexit seems most easily achievable. As to stopping Corbyn, it's clear a vote for the LibDems won't achieve that because they will prop him up in pursuit of their revoke policy.
    How May handled Brexit and how the other parties handled it is a masterclass in how not to compromise and turn a divided nation in on itself.
  • Options
    RobD said:

And also bearing in mind that the lead was dramatically over-estimated last time, which may have now been corrected for.
    Yes, it will be fascinating if they end up going the wrong way and it really does end up being a massive landslide
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited December 2019
    On topic both yes and know. As far as fortune telling goes these polls are as useful as a chocolate fireguard but read the right way they can glean very useful information. Events, dear boy, events will always change things before any hypothetical and so the key is like a successful chess player to think a few moves ahead.
    That hypothetical poll was not useless. For any hypothetical poll you need to think not just what the question says but what the respondent thinks and what they think they're answering. Many overly simplistic individuals read these polls and thought that this meant that Boris would be destroyed if only Remainers could stall Brexit until after Hallowe'en.
    What the polls really showed, which many of us here identified, was that the respondents were fed up of the messing around Parliament had done for months and wanted to "Get Brexit Done". Boris identified that and fed into that narrative.
    The hypothetical poll showed a surge for the BXP as people viewed the hypothetical as meaning that the Tories and others were still messing around. By saying he would rather "die in a ditch" and by obsessing over the date and refusing to extend Boris successfully tapped into that feeling himself. Voters aren't idiots, leavers aren't idiots. We could all see the Benn Act, we all knew who was responsible for delaying Brexit again and it wasn't Johnson it was Grieve and Labour and the Lib Dems etc.
    The hypothetical implied if you wanted to Get Brexit Done you needed to say BXP. Reality was something else. The poll was not useless - it just needed to be read and understood correctly.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662

Jamei said:

Most will have gone out b4 the deadline? If I was receiving 11 LD winning here leaflets, or that many from any party, I would be getting seriously pissed off...
    Why do you suppose their vote is going down?
  • Options

Jamei said:

Does Mike`s make 12?
  • Options

Well the current averages have a Tory majority of around 40. Something like 39/35 would probably grant your wish CHB - but we're a very long way from that at the moment.
  • Options

The don't mackem like that in Sunderland!
  • Options

We are well past "peak Corbyn" now though
  • Options
    Jason said:

Well the current averages have a Tory majority of around 40. Something like 39/35 would probably grant your wish CHB - but we're a very long way from that at the moment.
    Indeed.
  • Options

Jamei said:

Probably national leaflets which don't count in local spending if they don't mention the constituency. I had one this week from Sarah Wollaston, saying she'd decided to leave the Tories and I should too.

11 leaflets targeting the same constituency being classed as national leafleting is absurd and makes a mockery of it.

My leaflet count: 2 Tory, 0 anybody else.
    On my street: 2 houses with Labour signs in people's gardens (1 has a giant Unite flag too), 2 with Tory ones. Amusingly the Unite/Labour one was first then a few days later the Tory one went up next door but one to the Unite/Labour one.
  • Options
    LD barrage continues in Richmond Park. Clearly they don't think it's a foregone conclusion.

Plus Mike's letter which makes decent sense here in a LD-Con remainer marginal.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Jamei said:

Does Mike`s make 12?
    My recollection of the last discussion I saw on this was that because Mike doesn't recommend a vote for the LibDems in the leaflet it doesn't count towards their spending, although I think it must nibble at the edges of the rules.
  • Options
    Chris said:

felix said:

I'm afraid you can't read anything about momentum being stopped or reversed into individual polls (not ones of conventional size, anyway). Or anything positive about momentum. You have to look at averages.
    Of course - that was my point really - and missing out the ones that you don't like doesn't work either.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

If I remember correctly snooker was picked up by The BBC as a way of showing off the new colour TVs.
  • Options
    Jamei said:

Official LD canvassing has no interest in why people vote the way they do. They are solely looking for the afflicted so they can be dragged out on election day. Fascinated me after the Referendum but before GE 2017. They had sent around 3 or 4 surveys and if they had been getting the same results as we were then it was obvious that support for Timmy was tanking and they hated his Brexit position. I can only conclude that they were only recording VI and taking no interest in the reasons given.

Timmy is now promoting himself as an "Independent Liberal". Here in W&L Postal Voters have had the equivalent of the Mike Smithson letter from Sarah Wallaston - really !
  • Options

kinabalu said:

If I remember correctly snooker was picked up by The BBC as a way of showing off the new colour TVs.
    Which led to the (alleged) famous commentary; 'And for those of you watching in black and white the green ball is the one behind the red'.
  • Options

Jamei said:

11 leaflets targeting the same constituency being classed as national leafleting is absurd and makes a mockery of it.

My leaflet count: 2 Tory, 0 anybody else.
    On my street: 2 houses with Labour signs in people's gardens (1 has a giant Unite flag too), 2 with Tory ones. Amusingly the Unite/Labour one was first then a few days later the Tory one went up next door but one to the Unite/Labour one.
    I’ve had one Tory (the sitting MP) and one Green. Nothing from anybody else. Don’t think I’ve seen any posters: it can be difficult to tell though as a local estate agent uses the same colours as Labour.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    I`m bored.
    Any bets I should be placing?
  • Options

Jamei said:

Official LD canvassing has no interest in why people vote the way they do. They are solely looking for the afflicted so they can be dragged out on election day. Fascinated me after the Referendum but before GE 2017. They had sent around 3 or 4 surveys and if they had been getting the same results as we were then it was obvious that support for Timmy was tanking and they hated his Brexit position. I can only conclude that they were only recording VI and taking no interest in the reasons given.

Timmy is now promoting himself as an "Independent Liberal".
    I.L.Liberal for short?
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

kinabalu said:

Which led to the (alleged) famous commentary; 'And for those of you watching in black and white the green ball is the one behind the red'.
    😀
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453

I think Survation will show a 9% tory lead.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391

Are you on performance related pay?
  • Options

Jamei said:

Timmy is now promoting himself as an "Independent Liberal". Here in W&L Postal Voters have had the equivalent of the Mike Smithson letter from Sarah Wallaston - really !
    Is it my imagination or are there even more posters in W&L than normal? I'm in the Morecambe constituency and we have nothing much here but it always seems like poster city once you get to Milnthorpe and beyond.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

I`m bored.
    Any bets I should be placing?

Lay Swinson for PM?
  • Options
    edited December 2019

Jason said:

Indeed.
    Labour need Tory voters to do a straight switch, and/or a LD collapse - but this close to an election where *probably* most people have made up their minds, I just can't see how Labour get the numbers. Even in the event of a HP, Corbyn won't get the support he thinks he's going to get - unless he signs up to indyref2 and scrapping trident - which Labour MPs will vote down. Then back to square one.

It's a complete mess, and we're all guessing and nothing more than that. So I'll stick with my original prediction and say a working Tory majority - just.
  • Options
    Novo said:

Jamei said:

Must be a large family. They rely upon the fact that it is virtually impossible to prove how many articles have gone through the post.
  • Options

Yes. Cue legendary Ted Lowe commentary. "For those of you watching in ..."
This discussion has been closed.