Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tories drop five seats on the spreads following the Andrew Nei

Comments

• Options
    GideonWiseGideonWise Posts: 1,123
    kle4 said:

Serious question, why are people on twitter so pathetic? It's just a snap poll for christ's sake, why react so personally?
    https://twitter.com/DilksChris/status/1203065710542540800
    We discussed Twitter at length earlier today.

tl;dr version - Twittter is digital poison.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

A poor start from Corbyn . One can see how he would much rather have fought an election after Brexit.

Got better towards the end . I thought his answers on security in light of the terrorist attack were quite good and measured.

I thought overall Johnson did a bit better than I expected. Apparently YouGov are doing a snap debate poll. I expect Johnson to win that but am interested in seeing what the undecideds thought .

52 48 to Boris
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,624

Sandpit said:

Betfair’s Con Maj price still firmly stuck at 1.4, but Lab Maj into 40 (from 46). NOM 3.8.

Fucking lol.

Who is backing Labour majority at 40 now?!

I'd remortgage my house to lay it if I could in time.
    Speaking seriously, wouldn't it be easier to back Con most seats? Is it more cost effective to bet against A or bet on not-A?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,245
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Clever of Boris to say Corbyn will raise taxes on those earning over £20 000 a year

Worth remembering that that will only be 5% of the population under Corbyn.
    LOL
  • Options
    Brom said:

kle4 said:

Serious question, why are people on twitter so pathetic? It's just a snap poll for christ's sake, why react so personally?
    But is that a pro Boris lol or a pro Corbyn lol. Either way a shame Britain Elects is becoming more like Election Maps.

Oh sorry slow me, it’s a referendum lol!
    That’s what I assumed too.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Betfair’s Con Maj price still firmly stuck at 1.4, but Lab Maj into 40 (from 46). NOM 3.8.

Fucking lol.

Since you have a spare, that’s not such a risk for you as it would be for the rest of us.
    The annoying thing is that I'm selling the other one at the moment but the cash won't come through for a couple of months.

Too late.
  • Options

i'll go 53-47 to boris in the yougov snap poll.

Probably a score draw, but most importantly the two banana skins of the Trump visit & the final leaders debate have now happened without incident.
    Yeah, all he has to do now is see off Andrew Neil and he's home and hosed.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    ydoethur said:

Anybody betting on a LAB majority is barmy. Since losing Scotland at GE2015 the chances, even with a bright voter-friendly new leader, of LAB forming a majority government are miniscule.

Since they would have formed a government perfectly comfortably without Scotland in 2005 (which was after all the last election they won) I am not sure that that is true.

I agree that it makes their task considerably harder, but that’s not the same thing.
    The chances of getting Blair back to win like they did in 2005 are minuscule.....
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    dr_spyn said:
    Game, set and match Boris
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:
    Do you think he ever got his swan back?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,633
    nichomar said:

when you have been in government 9 years there are not many things you can blame others for.

Doesn't stop governments trying. Brown tried it after 13 years, so I fear if Boris wins he'll try it after 14.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:
    Game, set and match Boris
    Let us hope so
  • Options
    speedy2speedy2 Posts: 981
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    The "vote Labour or you want the homeless to die" line isn't going down well on my facebook feed, and the more obviously political people on there are all Labour.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

when you have been in government 9 years there are not many things you can blame others for.

Gordon Brown had a pretty good go.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,331

Probably a score draw, but most importantly the two banana skins of the Trump visit & the final leaders debate have now happened without incident.
    Nope home and hosed without Neil.
  • Options

On who performed best in the #BBCDebate:

Boris Johnson: 52%
    Jeremy Corbyn: 48%

via @YouGov
    Representative survey of viewers

Hmm. Are viewers representative though?

I'd have thought it'd be something like 60/40 to Boris if it were weighted to the electorate.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    52/48 in favour of Boris is terrible news for Labour. Corbyn needed to knock Boris out of the park for an hour solid to have had any effect. He needed all the media and all the newspapers to say it too. But it didn't happen.

Here's why. He's Jeremy Corbyn, not Barack Obama. And Boris is a lot better than people give him credit for.

But still. I can see the headlines tomorrow about the tax on people earning over £20k. That for me was a critical error by Corbyn.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312

Corbyn the nice doddery old reverend you might ask round for tea (just stay off the subject of the Jews...), heart's in the right place. Maybe.

Not a leader.

C'mon - you wouldn't really ask Corbyn round for tea unless you were going to poison him, would you?
  • Options
    Ok, naturally I didn't watch because I don't want to spend Christmas in a sanatorium curing my nerves. Did we survive?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,847

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Fucking lol.

Since you have a spare, that’s not such a risk for you as it would be for the rest of us.
    The annoying thing is that I'm selling the other one at the moment but the cash won't come through for a couple of months.

Too late.
    Betfair definitely missed a trick by having their Election Day markets settle on the day, rather than on the dissolution of Parliament.

Would have freed up a load of capital, most of which would probably have come back to them almost immediately!
  • Options

via @YouGov

I'd have thought it'd be something like 60/40 to Boris if it were weighted to the electorate.
    I agree. I am sure Boris will improved his ratings after that

And only 5 more days
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,331
    nichomar said:

You can blame Labour for electing a loser like Corbyn.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502

nico67 said:

A poor start from Corbyn . One can see how he would much rather have fought an election after Brexit.

Got better towards the end . I thought his answers on security in light of the terrorist attack were quite good and measured.

I thought overall Johnson did a bit better than I expected. Apparently YouGov are doing a snap debate poll. I expect Johnson to win that but am interested in seeing what the undecideds thought .

52 48 to Boris
    Omg that’s so funny . Typical YouGov are having a laugh !
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Sandpit said:

Fucking lol.

It's usually thought to be a bad idea to bet with borrowed money... :(
    No, it all depends on relative risk.

If I can borrow at 0% for a guaranteed return of 2.5% in under a week it makes sense.

If I credit carded it I'd pay 2.5-3% just to get the money out so would actually make a small loss.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109

Corbyn the nice doddery old reverend you might ask round for tea (just stay off the subject of the Jews...), heart's in the right place. Maybe.

Not a leader.

C'mon - you wouldn't really ask Corbyn round for tea unless you were going to poison him, would you?
    Much though I despise Corbyn, that is a pretty unpleasant comment.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391

via @YouGov

Not sure that's true - Corbyn would be expected to pick up more from all the others apart from brexit party. Boris scoring above combined tory and BP vote is a solid score.
  • Options

kle4 said:

One of the most sensible things David Cameron said was on that very subject. I doubt there is anyone even on this forum who would disagree.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

speedy2 said:

A week tonight we are likely to be talking about a LAB leadership contest.

This is the list of MP's who would probably win the leadership election, delete the centrists from it first:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Labour_Party_Members_of_Parliament_in_London

Basically someone like George Galloway, but still in Labour.
    Diane Abbott?
    She'd have to come out of hiding first.
  • Options
    Shami Chakrabarti losing it on Sky
  • Options
    SunnyJimSunnyJim Posts: 1,106
    BluerBlue said:

Ok, naturally I didn't watch because I don't want to spend Christmas in a sanatorium curing my nerves. Did we survive?

A draw imo but if the news focus on the closing statements it will appear Boris won.

Just Labour's graduate tax announcement to come now.
  • Options

Anybody betting on a LAB majority is barmy. Since losing Scotland at GE2015 the chances, even with a bright voter-friendly new leader, of LAB forming a majority government are miniscule.

There is no path to a Labour majority.

None.

Sir John Curtice memorably said: so close to zero as effectively zero.

That of course is different to Labour being able to form a Government and supply the next PM, and I wonder if some may be getting confused.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,225
    Hislop: “is he going to do Sooty?”
  • Options
    GideonWiseGideonWise Posts: 1,123
    Disappointed there's been no spinning from MysticRose tonight. Presumably Corbyn was the real winner because everyone normal thinks he's rubbish or something.
  • Options
    HenriettaHenrietta Posts: 136
    edited December 2019
    kle4 said:
    Why don't people hold real-life social gatherings where all contributions must contain less than 12 words with or without a picture, and to which any idiot is welcome to turn up? Then imagine millions getting accustomed to attending such gatherings. That would be a recipe for the mass delusion that shit is sugar.

• Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185

Shami Chakrabarti losing it on Sky

Baroness Chakrabarti. We should all remember how she got the first part.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,624

Reading the comments, it seems there is something for everyone.

If the debate all ends in another score draw then that's the last potential banana skin dodged by Johnson before polling day. Although with the benefit of hindsight (i.e. seeing how the polls have behaved since Dissolution) it's possible that none of these set pieces has, or would've, made much difference in any event.

Unless there's a black swan then, for us anoraks, the one big event remaining is presumably the revision of the MRP on Tuesday night?
    Good. I prefer betting on Sunday nights as the shop is nice and quiet and you can have a bit of a gab with the counter guy. Saturday afternoons it's all crowded. Hopefully the odds will remain stable until then. Then a nice quiet ride thru to Thursday night, Doritos and dip, and pick up my winnings the next day or worry about an incoming Corbyn government. If it wasn't for Boris's New Model Wehrmacht, I'd feel quite relaxed.

I appreciate the various political members and functionaries may have a more fraught view of things... :)

Incidentally, at what time is Aaron Bell, the honourable member for PB, expected to become a MP?
  • Options
    edited December 2019

kle4 said:

One of the most sensible things David Cameron said was on that very subject. I doubt there is anyone even on this forum who would disagree.
    Two of the most sensible things. The other being “Twitter is not Britain”.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    edited December 2019
    It’s all a bit much, Friday night Christmas in sight and we have politicians shouting at each other turning people off from politics same old liers taking on the same old liers, nobody gives ground or sees a different point of view. Really I’m surprised anybody is going to vote for either of them or their party they don’t have a vision for the future it really is all about self interest and the ability to convince the more easily led that they will benefit. It really is a sad state of affairs, I don’t really want to hear another one of them with their pre prepared lies and slurs. It really is a disgrace.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    BluerBlue said:

No cock ups from either really. Uneventful.

If the polls are right (if!), Boris has brought on an extra defender, and has the ball by the opposition corner flag, while being two nil up with two minutes to go.

(Is this where the black swan appears?)
  • Options
    BluerBlue said:

Yes
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    edited December 2019

Not a leader.

Deleated original comment. Didn’t read this carefully enough.
  • Options
    SunnyJim said:

BluerBlue said:

A draw imo but if the news focus on the closing statements it will appear Boris won.

Just Labour's graduate tax announcement to come now.
    Thanks! Are Labour actually doing that or is that just our best guess at the Hail Mary pass?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Sandpit said:

Fucking lol.

Speaking seriously, wouldn't it be easier to back Con most seats? Is it more cost effective to bet against A or bet on not-A?
    Probably. But I think Labour majority is actually basically impossible.

It's not actually impossible (just extremely extremely unlikely) for Labour to get most seats.

Just.
  • Options

Disappointed there's been no spinning from MysticRose tonight. Presumably Corbyn was the real winner because everyone normal thinks he's rubbish or something.

Good point, and where is a man called Horse tonight?
  • Options
    Tort maj. starting to creep in on betfair. Makes sense, the price of the last few days includes a flight risk which has just gone down significantly.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Not a leader.

I agree - just wrong
  • Options

Neil ain't gonna happen
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

via @YouGov

Not sure that's true - Corbyn would be expected to pick up more from all the others apart from brexit party. Boris scoring above combined tory and BP vote is a solid score.
    You'd expect the weighted two party forced choice.

I think that was 56-44 to Boris or similar last time I checked, so I could be on the high side.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    So, when can we expect more polls? :o
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,225
    welshowl said:

BluerBlue said:

If the polls are right (if!), Boris has brought on an extra defender, and has the ball by the opposition corner flag, while being two nil up with two minutes to go.

Arcuri?
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    welshowl said:

BluerBlue said:

I make this analogy right except he's 1-0 up, not, 2-0. If the ball goes loose, and the defence gets caught out... it's 1-1 and a hung parliament.
  • Options
    The studio audience applauded Corbyn, hardly any applause for Johnson at all.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    humbugger said:

Cponnecting the battery?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

welshowl said:

BluerBlue said:

Arcuri?
    She’s about the only known unknown left.

Has one of the Sundays got her splashed all over the front page?
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

via @YouGov

I don’t get how you come to that conclusion . Corbyn has outperformed his favourability scores by a big margin , Johnson less so.

Anyway of more interest is what the undecideds think .
  • Options

Neil ain't gonna happen
    Why would it? Labour folk have just had Corbyn holding Boris to account. Why would they think a Tory journo would do a better job than Corbyn?
  • Options

If I were Boris I'd do a shock Neil tomorrow on Saturday.

No-one cares on Saturday and it'd quickly get overtaken by the Sundays and then the final three days.

He'll have got past every hurdle and can then just focus on rallies and turnout.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Not a leader.

It was a joke. You're very thin skinned
  • Options
    humbugger said:

Going through the desert with a horse with no name
  • Options
    Nearly an away win for red over blue

Late equaliser from Millwall
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

welshowl said:

BluerBlue said:

Arcuri?
    She’s been around in the news for a while. Not impossible but unlikely.

More likely a Hail Mary policy from Corbyn. Free unicorns with every owl to enjoy with your retirement at 29 sort of thing.
  • Options

The studio audience applauded Corbyn, hardly any applause for Johnson at all.

Labour majority incoming then.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461

viewcode said:

Sandpit said:

Fucking lol.

It's not actually impossible (just extremely extremely unlikely) for Labour to get most seats.

Just.
    Yes. Laying lab majority they need to get 326 for you to lose. But maybe only to 300 for Cons most seats to lose. Both highly unlikely but former has higher margin of safety.
  • Options
    Boris more likeable, Jezza more in touch, Boris more prime ministerial (54 to 30)

No shocks.
  • Options
    BluerBlue said:

Thanks! Are Labour actually doing that or is that just our best guess at the Hail Mary pass?

Just me being a pessimist.

It is the one thing Labour could announce that might be enough to swing the election in to hung parliament territory.

• Options
    Most Prime Ministerial

54 % Boris

30% Corbyn
  • Options
    nichomar said:

humbugger said:

You must be as old as me. Lol.
  • Options
    humbugger said:

nichomar said:

humbugger said:

You must be as old as me. Lol.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
  • Options

No-one cares on Saturday and it'd quickly get overtaken by the Sundays and then the final three days.

He'll have got past every hurdle and can then just focus on rallies and turnout.

He's paid the price already no point paying twice.

I believe he made a mistake not going on but doing it now would be a bigger one.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

IanB2 said:

welshowl said:

BluerBlue said:

Arcuri?

More likely a Hail Mary policy from Corbyn. Free unicorns with every owl to enjoy with your retirement at 29 sort of thing.
    Has a tactic like that ever worked when the polls were not already moving?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,821
    Jester swallowed a random lie generator

I didnt know about the diplomat
    He hasnt explained what he is going to do about Brexit
    Abolish MI5
    Highest Corporate taxes in Europe
    Get BREXIT done oven ready

What a complete twat
  • Options
    SunnyJim said:

I believe he made a mistake not going on but doing it now would be a bigger one.
    No point now, things have moved on quickly and there’s only ever downsides to spending an hour with a well-researched Andrew Neil.
  • Options

welshowl said:

IanB2 said:

welshowl said:

BluerBlue said:

Arcuri?

Has a tactic like that ever worked when the polls were not already moving?
    Probably not. I’m just thinking what Labour might have to do.
  • Options
    Did anyone on here change their mind as a result of the debate? I suspect that the “who won” poll would have produced very similar numbers if run as a “who do you expect to win?” poll before the debate.
  • Options

Abolish MI5

What a complete twat

Yes he is but labour chose corbyn so unfortunately the tories win.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    IanB2 said:

welshowl said:

BluerBlue said:

Arcuri?
    Already been and gone, and a long range intervention from Trump also seems highly unlikely at this juncture. We've already had a major security incident, and there's not enough time left for reports of any possible NHS Winter crisis to start to work up steam.

There's no indication that the Andrew Neil faux outrage episode has had any meaningful effect either. There are only five campaigning days left, and two of those are over the weekend when, even if the public is still interested in election news (as opposed to having already made their minds up and moved on,) attention to it will be reduced accordingly.

It is, of course, in the nature of black swan events that we can't necessarily see them coming, but I'm really struggling to think of anything that might happen to derail Boris Johnson at this stage. I don't know, some dreadfully incriminating hidden camera video of him peddling crack cocaine to nursery school children, or perhaps using a Rolls Royce to run over some puppies? That seems just about the only thing that would do it now.
  • Options

viewcode said:

Sandpit said:

Fucking lol.

Just.
    Yes. Laying lab majority they need to get 326 for you to lose. But maybe only to 300 for Cons most seats to lose. Both highly unlikely but former has higher margin of safety.
    Labour could get most seats at about 285-290.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Not a leader.

I agree - just wrong
    I'm reassured
  • Options
    Who do you think came across as more in touch with ordinary people? (YouGov)

Jeremy Corbyn 57%
    Boris Johnson 29%

Isn’t it time we had someone in touch with ordinary people as our Prime Minister?
  • Options
    SunnyJim said:

I don't think so.

He can just say he was always planning to do it but his diary was very busy.

Of course it's bullshit but it'd probably work and would kill a frit story in the closing days of the campaign.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

Jeremy Corbyn 57%
    Boris Johnson 29%

Isn’t it time we had someone in touch with ordinary people as our Prime Minister?

Not if they'd be crap. :p
  • Options

Abolish MI5

What a complete twat

Sounds like a Boris win then. As the Mirror front page has avoided the debate I assume they think likewise.

Best wishes to you and Mrs BJO with your future health.
  • Options
    Most viewers think both leaders performed well, with 69% saying so of Corbyn and 62% saying likewise of Johnson.
  • Options

Jeremy Corbyn 57%
    Boris Johnson 29%

It's a nice idea. However, Corbyn and his marxist unpatriotic North London metro liberal elite have nothing in common with ordinary people, especially in the north and midlands. If they had, the Red Wall would not be on the verge of collapse would it?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Jeremy Corbyn 57%
    Boris Johnson 29%

Not if they'd be crap. :p
    But Johnson will also be crap so that’s not a good argument
  • Options
    speedy2speedy2 Posts: 981

There is no path to a Labour majority.

None.

Sir John Curtice memorably said: so close to zero as effectively zero.

That of course is different to Labour being able to form a Government and supply the next PM, and I wonder if some may be getting confused.
    Correct.
    A swing of 5% to Labour would result in a Labour majority, but a swing of 1% for a Labour minority government.

In theory the 2017 election results was close to the middle, Conservatives needing a lead of 6% for a majority and Labour a lead of 7% to get a majority.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Jeremy Corbyn 57%
    Boris Johnson 29%

No, I'd rather someone who isn't a Marxist.
  • Options
    Very surprised to see the results on government spending .

Johnson 48
    Corbyn 43

I thought that would be a big win for Johnson .
  • Options
    llefllef Posts: 298
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

SunnyJim said:

I don't think so.

He can just say he was always planning to do it but his diary was very busy.

Of course it's bullshit but it'd probably work and would kill a frit story in the closing days of the campaign.
    Could replace it with a worse story.
  • Options
    Omg, Russian interference in a UK election. Outrageous, no?
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

Jeremy Corbyn 57%
    Boris Johnson 29%

That's just a natural consequence of viewers' knowledge of the candidates. Boris Johnson went to Eton, therefore Jeremy Corbyn must be more in touch with ordinary people. The fact that Corbyn's own background isn't exactly underprivileged is not so widely appreciated.

Of course, going beyond snap verdicts on TV debates, a big part of Corbyn's problem is that he is not in touch with ordinary people - at least not ordinary people beyond the M25. Those disgruntled Northern and Midlands Labour voters around whom this election seems likely to turn are ordinary people. A great many of them don't appear to view Corbyn as being especially in touch with their views and needs.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Jeremy Corbyn 57%
    Boris Johnson 29%

No, I'd rather someone who isn't a Marxist.
    Corbyn is as much a Marxist as is Johnson a fascist both descriptions are wrong corbyn is very left wing Johnson is well to the right but that perception starts from where you think you are. Most people think the occupy the center ground and can’t understan why others see them as on the extremes. The best example is the people who claim Johnson is a one nation Tory because he aligns with their view but see major as left wing. I see major as the one nation Tory so it really is about where your reference point is.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461

Did anyone on here change their mind as a result of the debate? I suspect that the “who won” poll would have produced very similar numbers if run as a “who do you expect to win?” poll before the debate.

I think they did poll beforehand asking who they thought would win.
This discussion has been closed.