Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Getting Brexit Done

Comments

• Options

What time do we expect the final polls to be released?

Tomorrow morning....
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    Kantar 12 point lead
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    tyson said:

What results will each of the party be happy with
    My go...
    Con 340 plus
    Lab 240 plus
    LD's 20 plus
    SNP 42 plus

Con will take 326 😊
  • Options
    tyson said:

My go...
    Con 340 plus
    Lab 240 plus
    LD's 20 plus
    SNP 42 plus

Hmm... Lab got 262 in 2017.
  • Options
    Kantar! 12 point Tory lead, stop panicking PB Tories.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050

I demand more polls.

there is one coming out tomorrow at 10.00 you might be interested in...

• Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

DavidL said:

Well he’s hardly going to say “we’re f**cked” is he?
    Yes but a poll has said the same, a slow Labour comeback in Scotland.

Is their card? Surprise seat gains in Scotland?
    2 Labour seats in Scotland. Edinburgh South and Kirkcaldy because the SNP screwed up in the latter. The rest are toast.
    One of the unexpected upsides of this election has been the first signs of the death of Scottish independence, as a desire and a cause.

Not sure why. Because Brexit is such a clusterfuck? But even Sturgeon is backing away from the issue, and is now talking about devomax
    I'm mulling an article on this, which references Macbeth. Not the bits of Macbeth you'd immediately think of.

But it can wait until we know the result of the GE.
    The Nats are going to be relatively frustrated tomorrow. Is my hunch
    Will laugh heartily if - after all this - the seat distribution in Scotland remains basically unchanged.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    tumbleweeds...
  • Options
    Brom said:

Kantar 12 point lead

that is acceptable :)
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    Brom said:

Kantar 12 point lead

Oooooooo we all forgot about them! :open_mouth:
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1204883685947969540

24 hours time - this might be accurate or not.
  • Options

Kantar! 12 point Tory lead, stop panicking PB Tories.

:o no change!
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578

Byronic said:

I think their difficulty is deeper than that.
    Yes, agreed. Several factors at work
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2019
    Again...it is this difference...Kanter has Labour on 32%.....others have them on 36%. This is where the GE is either hung parliament or Tory majority.
  • Options
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Brom said:

Kantar 12 point lead

Oooooooo we all forgot about them! :open_mouth:
    Poor unloved Kantar.
  • Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503
    Chill. Pour a glass of Baileys and watch Ronin on Netflix.

All will be fine.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited December 2019
    So just Yougov and Delta left, which if they don't produce very shrunk leads, should round off a pretty good night of polling for the Tories.

Does that tell us the whole story ? I'm still not sure. Certainly 15-35, nearer my original estimate, looks a bit more possible.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    Deltapoll 45/35 10 point lead
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Exciting times for Labour supporters. Corbyn could be in Downing Street within 40 hours.

Only if Boris invites him for drinks.
    Bo-who? There was a 2% Tory-to-Labour swing in Uxbridge between the first and second YouGov MRPs, and the second poll used data mostly collected before phonegate. Only 4.5% to go!
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,612
    Nobidexx said:

Andy_JS said:

Exciting times for Labour supporters. Corbyn could be in Downing Street within 40 hours.

I think we're still quite far from that. A hung parliament with the tories at or above ~ 314 seats would be guaranteed not to result in Corbyn as PM, as neither the DUP nor the tories would support him. A bit below that and he'd first need to get support from the libdems.

While I believe there's a small chance of a hung parliament at the moment, a hung parliament with the tories below 314 seems extremely unlikely to me.
    The DUP spokesman on C4 news didn't rule out working with Jezza, provided he ditched the Irish Sea border.
  • Options

tyson said:

My go...
    Con 340 plus
    Lab 240 plus
    LD's 20 plus
    SNP 42 plus

Hmm... Lab got 262 in 2017.
    This ain't 2017....
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744
    viewcode said:

Byronic said:

Andy_JS said:

The Tory campaign in the last few days has been less than optimal, and that is showing in some of the recent polls.

It's not been brilliant, but it's been pretty good.

MUCH better than 2017. The problem is they got tired in the last few days and when Boyfloorgate happened they panicked.

The one single stand out ad of the entire campaign was theirs. Boris' Love Actually spoof.
    They stole Love Actually from a Labour MP. It wasn’t their idea.
    Oh, for Pete's sake... :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAhF8tPqafQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2af69xt0VKE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGxjIBEZvx0

Well exactly. Who the hell cares about 'stealing' such a thing? I assumed Dr Allin-Khan was being faux outraged in her own response to it, but others seem very serious that it matters that it was not a unique idea.
  • Options
    speedy2speedy2 Posts: 981

Byronic said:

DavidL said:

2 Labour seats in Scotland. Edinburgh South and Kirkcaldy because the SNP screwed up in the latter. The rest are toast.
    One of the unexpected upsides of this election has been the first signs of the death of Scottish independence, as a desire and a cause.

Not sure why. Because Brexit is such a clusterfuck? But even Sturgeon is backing away from the issue, and is now talking about devomax
    I'm mulling an article on this, which references Macbeth. Not the bits of Macbeth you'd immediately think of.

"The same reasons that gave rise to the SNP's dominance now drag it down."

SNP has simply a small core and loose layers of disgruntled ex-Conservatives, ex-Labour and ex-LD voters, if those voters get happy again with their former parties the SNP disappears like a mirage.
  • Options
    What if Opinium and Kantar are right?!

Boris could have a 100+ majority

LOLLLLLLLZZZZZZ
  • Options
    Another Labour 35
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2019
    I wish I could convince myself of the old adage, take the best Tory score and the worse Labour....

Interesting, all the Boris blunder stuff, doesn't seem to have hit the Tories. The difference is Lab / LD switching.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,983
    Byronic said:

Andy_JS said:

The Tory campaign in the last few days has been less than optimal, and that is showing in some of the recent polls.

MUCH better than 2017. The problem is they got tired in the last few days and when Boyfloorgate happened they panicked.

The one single stand out ad of the entire campaign was theirs. Boris' Love Actually spoof.

Byronic said:

Andy_JS said:

They stole Love Actually from a Labour MP. It wasn’t their idea.
    Boris one was subtler - the Labour one had the voter replace a 'Vote Conservative' poster with a 'Vote Labour' one - in Boris video the viewer was left to make up their own mind.
    Most men would struggle not to vote for Rosena Allin if she turned up at their door.
  • Options
    If you look at this and compare to the fieldwork dates with Comres it’s possible the events of Monday shifted things towards Lab a touch but things then evened our. Hopefully that explains the late MRP decline in Tory seats.
  • Options
    Nope.

Terrible for the LDs though.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,612

Andy_JS said:

Need to get some industrial strength whisky for tomorrow night.

I have overstrength white rum from Jamaica 70% or in Tory nurse terms 120%
    Once you have finished it, you will have plenty left...
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,525
    MikeL said:

Guardian needs to be much clearer - what does "has been scrambling" mean?

I strongly suspect all ballots have now been delivered - if not then surely Court action is possible.

Anyone who has received postal ballot can hand it in at polling station.

Has been scrambling is a very precise phrase.

Jezza went on a hill walk today?
  • Options
    Just survation and YouGov now?
  • Options
    I think this may well be a curious election, in which the Conservatives, Labour, the LibDems, the SNP, Plaid Cymru, the Brexit Party, UKIP, the DUP, and the Greens are all going to be disappointed.
  • Options

Another Labour 35

Wow! 35%?? Well done.
  • Options
    Lib Dems 10.

lolololololol
  • Options
    In any normal election these would be AMAZING polls for the Tories, and point to a huge landslide
  • Options

Another Labour 35

Gap more important though. The Tories' 42 last time didn't matter for crap.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    Boris interview with Laura on BBC1 10pm News:

He has his pledges on wall behind him - like advertising boards for post match football interviews.
  • Options
    By the way, two questions (I've been a long time lurker and contributed two or three very drunken posts a year or two ago under a username I cannot remember):

1) Why do politicians refer to The NHS as Our NHS?

I'm sorry, sod off. It is The NHS and you can weaponise it all you like but it ain't "ours", it's The.

Mr Corbyn, we do not have until Thursday to save it you silly arse. After Thurday, the NHS will continue to mend broken bones, take out tonsils (do they still recommend that - I may be showing my age!), and keep people alive from far, far more serious and complex problems. I know this, my daughter works in the NHS. If you politicians buggered off, she would turn up for work tomorrow whilst you have a recess, weekend, early Friday or whatever!

Mr Johnson, you can suggest throwing all the money you like at it but until politicians of all stripes come together and agree the fundamental changes that are needed it will always be a political football rather than an improved service. Stories such as "Leeds Jack" should only ever be an opportunity to apologise for not being able to do enough. We know there is vast amount of money being poured into the NHS. But is that money being used effectively - Jacks Mum, and many others would say bloody hell, No! As long as it remains a party political issue, we will see more "Jack" incidents and you, and Mr Corbyn will rightly be given uncomfortable moments.

Parliament: For goodness sake, get the clinicians involved in the discussions. Include people that are currently managing hospitals but above all, listen to the clinical staff. What stops them working, where is money being wasted, what could we do in the next 30 days that would improve their patients outcomes? And then ask that question once those things had been put in place for the next 30 days. FFS, it is not rocket science!

Oh, and by the way, Mr Public, Allow our politicians to set up a cross party platform to agree (Jesus H, is that possible?) a way forward. Back off from our own political prejudices and do what we say we want our politicians to do - that is, of course, if the fuckers above can agree to those proposals. Then, and only then, will it be "Our NHS"
  • Options
    10% lib dem Deltapoll - wow. Whatever happened to " Swinson your next Prime Minister?"
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,610
    edited December 2019

Byronic said:

I think their difficulty is deeper than that.
    It'll be quite something if Lanark goes Tory for the first time since 1955. The YouGov MRP had them ahead of the SNP by 1%.
  • Options

I wish I could convince myself of the old adage, take the best Tory score and the worse Labour....

45-32 at the moment looks like being at the very limits of of reality. Of course, it ain't going to be anything like that.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

LOLLLLLLLZZZZZZ

If the exit poll comes out and says Tory majority 80+ this place is going to go haywire.

I suspect it won’t though...
  • Options
    So far so good. My biggest upside is Labour 35-40% so if they can get 35.1% and the Tories 45% I’ll be happy on all fronts. Though a majority of 20 and losing my money would be fantastic too!
  • Options
    Byronic said:

In any normal election these would be AMAZING polls for the Tories, and point to a huge landslide

Exactly. Zen like chill.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,280

Lib Dems 10.

lolololololol
    Seats or percentage? Possibly both.
  • Options
    Marcus01 said:

10% lib dem Deltapoll - wow. Whatever happened to " Swinson your next Prime Minister?"

Maybe she’ll get a late surge?
  • Options

Again...it is this difference...Kanter has Labour on 32%.....others have them on 36%. This is where the GE is either hung parliament or Tory majority.

Not many on 36%? They've been 32-33%
  • Options
    Boysie said:

By the way, two questions (I've been a long time lurker and contributed two or three very drunken posts a year or two ago under a username I cannot remember):

I'm sorry, sod off. It is The NHS and you can weaponise it all you like but it ain't "ours", it's The.

Mr Corbyn, we do not have until Thursday to save it you silly arse. After Thurday, the NHS will continue to mend broken bones, take out tonsils (do they still recommend that - I may be showing my age!), and keep people alive from far, far more serious and complex problems. I know this, my daughter works in the NHS. If you politicians buggered off, she would turn up for work tomorrow whilst you have a recess, weekend, early Friday or whatever!

Mr Johnson, you can suggest throwing all the money you like at it but until politicians of all stripes come together and agree the fundamental changes that are needed it will always be a political football rather than an improved service. Stories such as "Leeds Jack" should only ever be an opportunity to apologise for not being able to do enough. We know there is vast amount of money being poured into the NHS. But is that money being used effectively - Jacks Mum, and many others would say bloody hell, No! As long as it remains a party political issue, we will see more "Jack" incidents and you, and Mr Corbyn will rightly be given uncomfortable moments.

Parliament: For goodness sake, get the clinicians involved in the discussions. Include people that are currently managing hospitals but above all, listen to the clinical staff. What stops them working, where is money being wasted, what could we do in the next 30 days that would improve their patients outcomes? And then ask that question once those things had been put in place for the next 30 days. FFS, it is not rocket science!

Oh, and by the way, Mr Public, Allow our politicians to set up a cross party platform to agree (Jesus H, is that possible?) a way forward. Back off from our own political prejudices and do what we say we want our politicians to do - that is, of course, if the fuckers above can agree to those proposals. Then, and only then, will it be "Our NHS"

If these are your drunken posted offerings you're either very inspired when drunk or I demand to see some sober posts to see what you can come up with!

We the public are definitely part of the problem when it comes to the NHS. Venerated to the degree it cannot even be properly touched except in a way which results in partisan politics.
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    Yes 45% deltapoll!!!!
  • Options
    If anything the Tory vote has FIRMED in recent days. 45 everywhere????
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    Deltapoll an utter disaster for the LDs
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710
    edited December 2019
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

DavidL said:

Not mine. They should take more than half of the Scottish Conservative seats IMO and all but a couple of Labour ones.

Key points:
    1. The SCON surge was due more to SNP to Con switchers than previous Lab or LD voters choosing tactically from a Unionist perspective. We can presume those ex-SNP voters aren't especially unionist, nor necessarily they will stick with the SCONs this time.
    2. Any collapse in the Labour vote in Scotland harms the Conservatives because they will go to the SNP and vote them out.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,610
    You get the feeling a relatively small number of votes could make the difference between a hung parliament and a large Tory majority. Lots of close results, more marginals than usual.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

It’s also pleasing that the smallest poll lead is the one commissioned by the Telegraph. I really think 41 is on the low side though think Lab 36 is possible.
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

Yes 45% deltapoll!!!!

You are reading the right poll this time, aren't you?

*innocent face*
  • Options
    Lib-Dems could well be going sub 10% tomorrow! ;)
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    I don't understand. Lefty twitter tells me they run the world through conspiracies and yet they can't get their parliamentary act together?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

You get the feeling a relatively small number of votes could make the difference between a hung parliament and a large Tory majority. Lots of close results, more marginals than usual.

If only there was a real time update of all of this....
  • Options
    Boysie said:

Thanks for this...you need to post more....
  • Options
    eggegg Posts: 1,749

Lib Dems 10.

lolololololol
    That adds up to Tories + brex too high, lab + ld too low.
    Simple answer, shy con remain lying to them
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Keep your eye on East Dunbartonshire.
  • Options
    After a bit of turbulence on the final approach the Blues are coming in for a nice smooth landing.
  • Options

Byronic said:

LOLLLLLLLZZZZZZ

If the exit poll comes out and says Tory majority 80+ this place is going to go haywire.

I suspect it won’t though...
    If it does, I'm deleting Twitter.
  • Options

One of the best examples of why we should not have PR..
  • Options
    RobD said:

Ipsos?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Has to be one of the worst political campaigns ever. They have on one side a bungling bonking buffoon and the other an anti-semite enabling terrorist sympathizer and they still can't get more than the odd beardy sandal wearer to say I agree with Jo....
  • Options
    Drutt said:

I don't understand. Lefty twitter tells me they run the world through conspiracies and yet they can't get their parliamentary act together?
    An elaborate cover.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Tonight's polls

Opinium Con 45/Lab 33/LD 12 (Con lead +12)
    Qriously 43/30/12 (+13)
    NCPolitics 43/33/12 (+10)
    BMG 41/32/14 (+9)
    Panelbase 43/34/11 (+9)
    ComRes 41/36/12 (+5)
    Kantar 44/32/13 (+12)
    Deltapoll 45/35/10 (+10)

Mean Con lead: 10% exactly

Still waiting for Survation, YouGov and ICM, assuming they're all publishing tonight...? Ipsos MORI expected tomorrow morning I believe.
  • Options
    Drutt said:

Mossad put all their efforts into winning Eurovision last year, took their eye off the ball elsewhere.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    edited December 2019
    https://twitter.com/anthonyjwells/status/1204885669140746242

Nearly all the final opinion polls are published.
  • Options

I think this may well be a curious election, in which the Conservatives, Labour, the LibDems, the SNP, Plaid Cymru, the Brexit Party, UKIP, the DUP, and the Greens are all going to be disappointed.

I don't think so.

If the Conservatives are dissapointed then Labour would be happy.
    If Labour is happy so will the SNP because they might share power with them in exchange for yer another scottish referendum.
    The DUP will also be happy since the New Deal wont pass parliament.
  • Options

RobD said:

Ipsos?
    Tomorrow, I think? If it's for the evening standard.
  • Options
    Strange subsamples in Delta poll....Tories well ahead in Wales, and only 2 points ahead in Midlands
  • Options

Drutt said:

Mossad put all their efforts into winning Eurovision last year, took their eye off the ball elsewhere.
    LOL!
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    Tories winning at a Kantar!!

Goodnight all
  • Options
    Was it Nick and Fi who came up with the Lib Dem Revoke idea and to stand down their candidates to let Welsh Nationalists have a clearer run?

• Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710
    DavidL said:

East Lothian, I think, is a good shot for Labour. Other seats are possible but long shots.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

It could be a very very good night for them, and more of a shock to the opposition than it should be, since it is within the realms of possibility on these polls. While I definitely tend to gut feel think the lower predictions make more sense, we should not be surprised if Boris has a mahoosive majority.
  • Options
    TabmanTabman Posts: 1,046
    edited December 2019
    I'm getting "We're alright!" vibes from Johnson's rally.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    I think we might be running the risk here of seeing this election through the prism of what happened last time. Mortimer's comments today about his canvassing experiences suggest the Tory vote is likely to be a lot stronger than maybe we thought. One other thought might be on turnout - despite it being December, could we get a surprise turnout of traditional non-voters who help push the Tories over the line? If that is the case, we are in landslide territory.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Byronic said:

If anything the Tory vote has FIRMED in recent days. 45 everywhere????

No offence to the likes of Kantar and Deltapoll but are they any good?? Waiting on YouGov....
  • Options

Tonight's polls

Opinium Con 45/Lab 33/LD 12 (Con lead +12)
    Qriously 43/30/12 (+13)
    NCPolitics 43/33/12 (+10)
    BMG 41/32/14 (+9)
    Panelbase 43/34/11 (+9)
    ComRes 41/36/12 (+5)
    Kantar 44/32/13 (+12)
    Deltapoll 45/35/10 (+10)

Mean Con lead: 10% exactly

Still waiting for Survation, YouGov and ICM, assuming they're all publishing tonight...? Ipsos MORI expected tomorrow morning I believe.

Apparently ICM's final poll was on Monday.
  • Options
    Deltapol:

Scotland:
    Con: 26
    Lab: 24
    SNP: 39

Marginals (EW only)
    Lab Marginals:
    Con: 45
    Lab: 36

Con Marginals:
    Con: 49
    Lab: 40

http://www.deltapoll.co.uk/polls/general-election-2019-final

If that's tight.....TIMBER!!!!!
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

And that's why it would probably be another Hung Parliament unless Farage says vote Conservative.
  • Options

Deltapol:

Scotland:
    Con: 26
    Lab: 24
    SNP: 39

Marginals (EW only)
    Lab Marginals:
    Con: 45
    Lab: 36

Con Marginals:
    Con: 49
    Lab: 40

http://www.deltapoll.co.uk/polls/general-election-2019-final

If that's tight.....TIMBER!!!!!

Those marginal figures!
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Ipsos?
    Tomorrow, I think? If it's for the evening standard.
    Really?

I didn't think polls were allowed to be released on election day
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,121

GIN1138 said:

Has to be one of the worst political campaigns ever. They have on one side a bungling bonking buffoon and the other an anti-semite enabling terrorist sympathizer and they still can't get more than the odd beardy sandal wearer to say I agree with Jo....
    Naked opportunism gets its just deserts for once.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,760
    Some of you may be aware of the music subgenre sometimes known as "trailer music" or "production music": music written for commercial use, esp. trailers. The Wonder Woman 1984 trailer came out this week with a trailer cover of "Blue Monday" which I particularly liked. The trailer music for it is on YouTube and you can find it here and here.
This discussion has been closed.