Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The final polls – almost

Comments

• eggegg Posts: 1,749

Floater said:
    Can someone with a subscription to the Torygraph enlighten us as to why, if Nigel Farage had to be an animal, he would be a lobster ?
    Because people are prepared to drop him in boiling water?
    I don’t know what vegetable I would be in a salad, but ide make sure I was properly dressed
  • kle4 said:

What on earth is that asterisk doing in that headline? Why explain the joke/metaphor?
    Corbyn gets on my wick....
    But he can’t hold a candle to Boris.

• Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,285
    "We’ve missed our chance but I won’t quit, says Jo Swinson" (£)

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/weve-missed-our-chance-but-i-wont-quit-says-jo-swinson-dl2p8wbbz
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,545

FF43 said:

I want to know why the Sun costs 55p in Scotland and only 25p in England. Scotland being done over again!
    It doesn't. Its 55p in the UK . Its says its 25p cheaper than its rivals...
    How dishonest to make the 25p cheaper sticker look like the price! Just the kind of thing Boris would do.
  • FF43 said:

Surprised to see the Morning Star given away free by the exits at my local Tesco store tonight. Wouldn't have thought Tesco's kind of capitalism would chime with that paper's editorial.

Should frighten a few into voting Tory...
  • Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    It will be out at midnight. Could see LAB going ahead
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited December 2019
    Andy_JS said:
    Has she been on the funny fags again?
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Floater said:
    Can someone with a subscription to the Torygraph enlighten us as to why, if Nigel Farage had to be an animal, he would be a lobster ?
    Asked what animal he might be, he said: "A lobster - because they live forever. Occasionally I have been known to pinch a bit."

• eggegg Posts: 1,749
    So it begins
    Three guests check into a hotel room. The manager says the bill is $30, so each guest pays $10. Later the manager realizes the bill should only have been $25. To rectify this, he gives the bellhop $5 as five one-dollar bills to return to the guests.

On the way to the guests' room to refund the money, the bellhop realizes that he cannot equally divide the five one-dollar bills among the three guests. As the guests aren't aware of the total of the revised bill, the bellhop decides to just give each guest $1 back and keep $2 as a tip for himself, and proceeds to do so.

As each guest got $1 back, each guest only paid $9, bringing the total paid to $27. The bellhop kept $2, which when added to the $27, comes to $29. So if the guests originally handed over $30, what happened to the remaining $1?
  • AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited December 2019
    One more forecast, (based off a 6.5% lead).

https://twitter.com/PME_Politics/status/1204908224215965696
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    Ave_it said:

CON -7
    LAB +8

That'd be quite the swing :o
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,911
    FF43 said:

I want to know why the Sun costs 55p in Scotland and only 25p in England. Scotland being done over again!
    It's fairly harmful even in moderation... so perhaps there is a minimum price per unit?
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,712
    Ave_it said:

Not sure how unless every other poll tonight is completely wrong
  • Right...

Con 339
    Lab 238
    LD 13
    Green 1
    SNP 38
    Plaid 3
    DUP 8
    SF 6
    All 3
    SDLP 1

Technically the biggest Tory majority since 1987, but it will feel a bit underwhelming. More a sense of relief than triumph.

Politics is absolutely horrible at the moment and nobody will emerge from this election with much credit. We will look back on this as a low point, regardless of the result.
  • brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited December 2019

viewcode said:

IshmaelZ said:

Real dilemma

What are the ethics of not voting vs turning up to spoil a ballot, in a non marginal constituency? One hears "If you don't vote you have no right to complain" but why, and so what anyway? Losing the right to complain for the duration of the next parliament would free up a lot of valuable time.

I am struggling with an almighty bout of cantbearsedness.

Always, always, vote as if you are the only person that is voting and that people will die if you don't. It is a very serious thing and should be done with all the effort at your command.
    This is unduly prim.

I won't be voting tomorrow. It is the responsibility of political parties to provide me with positive and joyful reasons to vote.

"I hate Corby" or "I hate Bozza" is not a positive reason to vote.
    Won't you think of those betting on higher turnout?
    I am helping those betting on a low turnout.
    If you spoil your ballot does that still count for turnout? I'm expecting loads more than normal this election...
    People said there would be loads of spoilt ballots at the Euros too; there weren't.
    HYUFD said:

Ave_it said:

Not sure how unless every other poll tonight is completely wrong
    Will IDS lose by 8,000? Everyone in London is voting LAB.
    I can't see the Tories going below 310 seats which means a Corbyn premiership isn't possible (assuming the Unionists refuse to support him).
  • Anyone any thoughts as to whether Lab or Con will favour high turnout tomorrow?
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    As I quickly walked the dog I was hit with a very pleasant thought.

Corbyn might be gone soon
  • KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    That's better than the English edition's.
  • Anyone any thoughts as to whether Lab or Con will favour high turnout tomorrow?

Labour...means lots of yuff coming out.
  • Come on Survation. I wanted an early night tonight to prepare for tomorrow’s all-nighter.
  • DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038

Thinking of next LD leader....its probably going to be Davey isn't it?

Seeing as Swinson's main problem is her being tainted by being part of the Cameron govt, it won't help to replace her with Davey. Need to pick someone new, eg. Moran.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,545
    Andy_JS said:
    If she survives the election, I have a feeling Swinson would make a decent leader of the Lib Dems. She made mistakes but those were largely due to inexperience I think. Different politics but she reminds me a bit of Margaret Thatcher. And objectively she would make a better prime minister than either Johnson or Corbyn. And by the way I am not voting for her.
  • Alistair said:
    Yes, on Tuesday night.

What strikes me is how the apparently innocuous figure of a national average of 2.9% Brexit Party vote translates into large concentrations of BXP votes in several Leave seats where the Conservatives are losing by less than half the BXP vote share. See pages 23-37 of the table.

e.g. for some of the double figure BXP polling
    Burnley, Lab 7% ahead, BXP polling 15%
    Hartlepool, Lab 8% ahead, BXP 22%
    Hyndburn, Lab 2% ahead, BXP 10%
    Leigh, Lab 4% ahead, BXP 11%
    NW Durham Lab 5% ahead, BXP 11%
    Redcar Lab 5% ahead, BXP 14%
    Stoke N Lab 2% ahead, BXP 10%

and there are loads more where the BXP could make all the difference even without getting into double figures

e.g. Workington Lab 2% ahead, BXP 8%

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/uk714vkjy3/MRP_Tables_2019_Election_Public_Release (5).pdf

If Brexit isn't delivered, Farage really will be remembered as the one who killed it.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,093
    edited December 2019
    IshmaelZ said:

Floater said:
    Asked what animal he might be, he said: "A lobster - because they live forever. Occasionally I have been known to pinch a bit."

Crustaceans are only allowed to be Lord Mandelbrot. Says Prezza.
  • ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578

Right...

Con 339
    Lab 238
    LD 13
    Green 1
    SNP 38
    Plaid 3
    DUP 8
    SF 6
    All 3
    SDLP 1

Technically the biggest Tory majority since 1987, but it will feel a bit underwhelming. More a sense of relief than triumph.

Politics is absolutely horrible at the moment and nobody will emerge from this election with much credit. We will look back on this as a low point, regardless of the result.

That's very close to my expectation. And yes, I agree with the idea that this will be the nadir.

We will Brexit, democracy will be saved, Corbyn will go..... and maybe a long, slow healing process will begin. At last.

That is my Christmas prayer.
  • DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    egg said:

So it begins
    Three guests check into a hotel room. The manager says the bill is $30, so each guest pays $10. Later the manager realizes the bill should only have been $25. To rectify this, he gives the bellhop $5 as five one-dollar bills to return to the guests.

On the way to the guests' room to refund the money, the bellhop realizes that he cannot equally divide the five one-dollar bills among the three guests. As the guests aren't aware of the total of the revised bill, the bellhop decides to just give each guest $1 back and keep $2 as a tip for himself, and proceeds to do so.

As each guest got $1 back, each guest only paid $9, bringing the total paid to $27. The bellhop kept $2, which when added to the $27, comes to $29. So if the guests originally handed over $30, what happened to the remaining $1?

It's behind one of the unopened hotel doors. Wanna swap?
  • I think Survation need to upgrade their hardware....what are they using their models on a Commodore 64?
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    egg said:

So it begins

The $2 gets subtracted, not added, because it is no different from the $1 refund. Not a huge improvement on the poetry.
    egg said:

So it begins

Where did then bellhop get the extra £2 to allow you to add it to the total twice :-) .
  • XtrainXtrain Posts: 337
    When it all gets too much I pour a whisky and watch Mad Men.
  • so what’s the recommended drink and snacks for tomorrow night?
    Floater said:

As I quickly walked the dog I was hit with a very pleasant thought.

Corbyn might be gone soon

That would be nice.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,731
    edited December 2019
    egg said:

So it begins

Better to think that the manager got $25, the guests $1 each, the bellhop $2 & go to bed!

But I think the answer is that the $27 paid includes the bellhops $2, so adding them together is the putaway
    where is survation dammit
  • kjohnw1 said:

so what’s the recommended drink and snacks for tomorrow night?

Depends on the exit poll....any talk of a hung parliament and I will be on the hard stuff.
    Dadge said:

Thinking of next LD leader....its probably going to be Davey isn't it?

Seeing as Swinson's main problem is her being tainted by being part of the Cameron govt, it won't help to replace her with Davey. Need to pick someone new, eg. Moran.
    Pollyanna on steroids.
    under ten mins to go :o

Labour...means lots of yuff coming out.
    Con ... lots of brexit voters from 2016 coming out for one last hurrah
    What is Survation shows a 4 point lead? OR 3? 2?

GULP
  • Byronic said:

GULP

I book flights....
  • Byronic said:

GULP

What if it shows 14?
    Byronic said:

Right...

Con 339
    Lab 238
    LD 13
    Green 1
    SNP 38
    Plaid 3
    DUP 8
    SF 6
    All 3
    SDLP 1

That's very close to my expectation. And yes, I agree with the idea that this will be the nadir.

We will Brexit, democracy will be saved, Corbyn will go..... and maybe a long, slow healing process will begin. At last.

It would be better for Labour in the long run if they lose 100 seats tomorrow rather than just 40 or 50 IMO.
  • egg said:

So it begins

The guests paid $27, of which $25 went to the manager and $2 to the bellhop.

My rumoured Survation result was modded??

• FF43 said:

Andy_JS said:
    If she survives the election, I have a feeling Swinson would make a decent leader of the Lib Dems. She made mistakes but those were largely due to inexperience I think. Different politics but she reminds me a bit of Margaret Thatcher. And objectively she would make a better prime minister than either Johnson or Corbyn. And by the way I am not voting for her.
    I voted for Thatcher. She ain't no Thatcher.
    edited December 2019
    kjohnw1 said:

Are you watching Sky for your full dose of John Bercow or something else?

If Sky, probably meths and lampreys.
  • Andy_JS said:

Byronic said:

Right...

Con 339
    Lab 238
    LD 13
    Green 1
    SNP 38
    Plaid 3
    DUP 8
    SF 6
    All 3
    SDLP 1

It would be better for Labour in the long run if they lose 100 seats tomorrow rather than just 40 or 50 IMO.
    Hopefully there is going to be a prediction thread tomorrow morning.
    I just saw a reference to Survation with

CON 41
    LAB 40

And chucked a lung. Then I realised it was the poll from 2017

FWIW the rumoured result showed a Tory lead of 9
    edited December 2019
    Andy_JS said:

Byronic said:

Right...

Con 339
    Lab 238
    LD 13
    Green 1
    SNP 38
    Plaid 3
    DUP 8
    SF 6
    All 3
    SDLP 1

It would be better for the country in the long run....it would hopefully mean the end of Corbyn and the madness.
    Byronic said:

CON 41
    LAB 40

Enhance your calm, Byronic.
    MattW said:

kjohnw1 said:

Bercow will be in a foul mood tomorrow if this result happens.
    Byronic said:

CON 41
    LAB 40

Jesus, what are you doing quoting that. On here. Right now. !!!
    Byronic said:

My rumoured Survation result was modded??

Yes. Stop doing that shit.

Byronic said:

CON 41
    LAB 40

Jesus, what are you doing quoting that. On here. Right now. !!!
    I wanted you to share my pain

Scary, isn't it?

:)
  • Somebody is forcing the price down on Tory OM...Still big money going in.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,047
    Andy_JS said:

MattW said:

kjohnw1 said:

And there will be sod all he can do about it.
  • BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    11 lead
  • AramintaMoonbeamQCAramintaMoonbeamQC Posts: 3,569
    edited December 2019
    It's up, and you PB Tories might need to stop panicking...

https://www.survation.com/final-general-election-2019-poll-results-a-preview/
    Double diamond standard!
    44.5 / 33.7

Go to bed, everyone.
    bIG tORY wIN INCOMING
    edited December 2019
    duplicate
  • 44.5 Con 33.7 Lab
  • Tories on 45 again...as some bloke who once hid in a freezer like to say, cripes...
    Wait.

There's no Brexit Party in that poll??
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,281
    What about BXP?
    What about Scotland :o
  • Alistair said:
    Yes, on Tuesday night.

What strikes me is how the apparently innocuous figure of a national average of 2.9% Brexit Party vote translates into large concentrations of BXP votes in several Leave seats where the Conservatives are losing by less than half the BXP vote share. See pages 23-37 of the table.

e.g. for some of the double figure BXP polling
    Burnley, Lab 7% ahead, BXP polling 15%
    Hartlepool, Lab 8% ahead, BXP 22%
    Hyndburn, Lab 2% ahead, BXP 10%
    Leigh, Lab 4% ahead, BXP 11%
    NW Durham Lab 5% ahead, BXP 11%
    Redcar Lab 5% ahead, BXP 14%
    Stoke N Lab 2% ahead, BXP 10%

and there are loads more where the BXP could make all the difference even without getting into double figures

e.g. Workington Lab 2% ahead, BXP 8%

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/uk714vkjy3/MRP_Tables_2019_Election_Public_Release (5).pdf

If Brexit isn't delivered, Farage really will be remembered as the one who killed it.
    There is absolutely no reason to believe that a single one of those BXP votes would go to the Conservatives if the BXP were not standing. Indeed the most likely outcome is those votes would go back to Labour and increase their lead in those seats/
    I don't think the LDs will do as badly as 9.3%.
    When was this poll undertaken??
  • All over, bar 9 hours of shouting tomorrow night.

Time to unmute Owen Jones, Ash Sarkar, Aaron Bastani, 'Rachael' Swindon etc.
    Must be on 3, as those add up to 97.
    Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just checked that I saw the right figures this time! :lol: l:
  • The danger is that says Labour 34%...they get 35-36% when the work shy students turn out and Tories under perform with Flat Cap Fred doesn't fancy it in the end and they get 42%...Eeeekkk...
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,921
    Byronic said:

bIG tORY wIN INCOMING

I don't know if you saw my anecdata from earlier - but from my experience and discussions this feels about right.

E.G. I spoke to someone in Wythenshawe who told me that the Labour vote is cratering...especially on the council estates.

When was this poll undertaken??

Tue and Wed.
  • argyllrsargyllrs Posts: 155
    LD 9.3 has a lovely rhythmn to it
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    Byronic said:

bIG tORY wIN INCOMING

In 2017 the day before the election the central case was for a 60 seat Cons majority and the odds on a Cons maj were 2/9.
    Goodnight sleep tight x
  • Andy_JS said:

MattW said:

kjohnw1 said:

I will take great delight in watching bercows face if it’s a Tory landslide
    RobD said:

Must be on 3, as those add up to 97.

Yes, looks like a nightmare typo
    edited December 2019
    Lib Dem 9%...nahhh...really...hmmm..

Survation I think you need to turn it off and on again.
  • HYUFD said:
    9% for the LDs, though.

What a sickener.
    Barnesian said:
    3% is available with those numbers.
This discussion has been closed.