Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The first results sees the red wall penetrated

Comments

• ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,751
    Jonathan said:

Floater said:

Jonathan said:

I am off to bed shortly

Was told earlier The Beast of Bolsover was ahead but if Exit Poll correct that was clearly wrong.

PB Tories enjoy the next few hours

Have a good nights rest BJO -

It must be hard for you and I hope we can start healing wounds especially if labour can rid themselves of Corbyn
    It took 14 years to recover from this last time around.
    Who will get rid of the poison of the hard left?

I really want to believe you can do it - but they hold the power now
    The unions hold the power.
    You wonder if McCluskey is safe after this debacle. He was already less than popular before and he’s knocking on a bit.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,399
    edited December 2019
    Lansman. Dick.

Edit: Glansman.
  • YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    ydoethur said:

Hemsworth and Cardiff North predicted Labour holds.

That would be surprising on these figures. But the whole bloody thing is surprising.

Cardiff North voted Remain.

I think Labour may well hold Cardiff North, but it looks like their cluster of 5 North East Walian Leave-voting marginals will all go.
  • Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

Motherwell count: “lots of SNP smiles”

Counting 4 seats here: 3 SNP and 1 SLab (Coatbridge).

SLab saying that they have increased their majority in Coatbridge!!

Both SLab and SNP saying Exit Poll is WRONG.

It would not be a surprise.

In which case, more Tories survive and the Johnson majority goes up.

One would still expect the SNP to win the GE in Scotland decisively, of course.
  • speedy2speedy2 Posts: 981

Motherwell count: “lots of SNP smiles”

Counting 4 seats here: 3 SNP and 1 SLab (Coatbridge).

SLab saying that they have increased their majority in Coatbridge!!

Both SLab and SNP saying Exit Poll is WRONG.

I agree, in Scotland the exit poll may be well off.
    But in England and Wales it looks correct so far.
  • Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    Think my CON gain Perth and Perthshire N call has gone off!

Where's malcolmg???
  • Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    edited December 2019
    Jonathan said:

I am off to bed shortly

Was told earlier The Beast of Bolsover was ahead but if Exit Poll correct that was clearly wrong.

It must be hard for you and I hope we can start healing wounds especially if labour can rid themselves of Corbyn
    It will take five years this time. The Brexit Party won’t be taking 10% off Labour in places like Blyth Valley then they will go back to Labour.
  • DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    80+ seat majority, blazing fire in the hearth, beer and gin, look to have made about 40p for every £1 bet, and as a cherry on the cake Twitter agrees with me that the RachaelSwindon tweet I reported for antisemitism was antisemitic.

It's pretty much a SuperOver feeling
  • not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,340

I shouldn’t be smug. But I can’t help but be so when I think of how poorly the puffed up remainer rebel alliance played their card in he past 6-12 months.

Grieve, Boles, Soubry, Chukka, Bercow - all thought they were so clever and could scheme to ignore the will of the people.

Well, the people just gave their verdict on that behaviour. It turns out they rather like to have their votes respected.

Don’t mess with the British voters when they give you an instruction.

Boris would do well to heed that message from his new votes. He must not let them down.

This is a victory for FPTP, not Levae voters (who will be in a clear minority)
  • Jonathan said:

I am off to bed shortly

Those that don't remember the past are doomed to repeat it.

Foot 1983
    Corbyn 2019
    Corbyn is much, much, much worse than Foot was. No-one would have ever accused Foot of being an anti-Semitic terrorist sympathiser or anything remotely similar, and he was on the right side in vehemently opposing appeasement and Soviet repression in Eastern Europe.
  • YokesYokes Posts: 1,178
    edited December 2019
    nico67 said:

Pulpstar said:

My NI friend reckons Dodds might be in trouble

Please make it happen !
    He will be lucky to make it. If he has a majority its the low hundreds. There is a nationalist pact in a number of marginals
  • City of London gone Labour?
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,083
    The chance the LibDems have missed is that had they held on to the near 20% share they started the campaign with, the Labour Party could have been near destroyed.
  • BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    viewcode said:

It just clicked. Conservatives will have double the number of Labour seats.

Yep 375 187 will do me!
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    edited December 2019
  • News Just In : it Has Been Predicted By Lord Hay That The SDLP Vote Count In Foyle Is CONSIDERABLY Up.
    dr_spyn said:

Allegations of voting fraud are being investigated at a number of locations in Scotland as counting is under way in the 2019 UK general election.

Renfrewshire Council said a possible case of personation had been reported to police in the Paisley and Renfrewshire North constituency.

At the Glasgow count, three cases are also being looked at while one is alleged in Stirling.

BBC.

Why is it peronation and not impersonation?
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,280

I shouldn’t be smug. But I can’t help but be so when I think of how poorly the puffed up remainer rebel alliance played their card in he past 6-12 months.

Grieve, Boles, Soubry, Chukka, Bercow - all thought they were so clever and could scheme to ignore the will of the people.

Well, the people just gave their verdict on that behaviour. It turns out they rather like to have their votes respected.

Boris would do well to heed that message from his new votes. He must not let them down.

I voted Remain (somewhat reluctantly) but as soon as the result was in I accepted it. I was amazed that so many people like those you mention didn't accept it.
  • Lansman. Dick.

Edit: Glansman.

Contender for post of the century.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    Makes sense. They wanted to bung those rich voters with the taxes of the working classes in the North.
  • EPGEPG Posts: 5,996
    edited December 2019
    tlg86 said:

If Labour want these seats back, they need to unanimously come out in support of Brexit tomorrow morning.

Nope. Allow the majority Tories to Brexit then crucify empty-handed Tory MPs in places like Blyth Valley. Then campaign to rejoin or whatever. Probably too late to save half the union!
  • I shouldn’t be smug. But I can’t help but be so when I think of how poorly the puffed up remainer rebel alliance played their card in he past 6-12 months.

This is a victory for FPTP, not Levae voters (who will be in a clear minority)
    The exit poll has the tories on 46%, no idea about BXP but given the results we've seen so far 4% seems likely.

It'll be very close to a 50/50 remain / leave split as far as the popular vote goes.
  • Andy_JS said:

Chesterfield:

Lab 51% chance, Con 49%.

My constituency.
  • Anyone know the timing of Dominic Grieve's meaningful vote in Beaconsfield?
  • KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    Drutt said:

80+ seat majority, blazing fire in the hearth, beer and gin, look to have made about 40p for every £1 bet, and as a cherry on the cake Twitter agrees with me that the RachaelSwindon tweet I reported for antisemitism was antisemitic.

It's pretty much a SuperOver feeling

Nah, this could be Stokes in the Third Ashes Test in magnitude.
    Only 3 results in by midnight.
  • Andrew Neil to Soames: "Johnson was right to get rid of people like you"
    Soames: "He very generously handed the whip back to me"

😂😂😂😂😂😂
  • nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453
    tlg86 said:

If Labour want these seats back, they need to unanimously come out in support of Brexit tomorrow morning.

It's too late.
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,480
    edited December 2019

I'm afraid the Tories need to move on from this kind of rhetoric, if they ever genuinely want to bring the country together. It's still split straight down the middle on Brexit, whatever the result tonight, and a much softer rather than much harder Brexit would therefore be much more representative.
  • Ave_it said:

Think my CON gain Perth and Perthshire N call has gone off!

Where's malcolmg???

At the moment, Malcolm is looking like the *only* PBer to call Scotland correctly.
  • Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Green guy on beeb says this is a bad night for the climate
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165
    EPG said:

tlg86 said:

Nope. Allow the majority Tories to Brexit then crucify empty-handed Tory MPs in places like Blyth Valley. Then campaign to rejoin or whatever. Probably too late to save half the union!
    Alternatively, support it in principle and then blame the Tories if they fuck it up. If they don't and Labour oppose it...

City of London gone Labour?

Labour - for millionaires, by millionaires?
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842

SNP briefing that they may have taken Edinburgh South.

HUGE, IF TRUE.

Christ
  • Jonathan said:

I am off to bed shortly

Foot 1983
    Corbyn 2019
    Corbyn is much, much, much worse than Foot was. No-one would have ever accused Foot of being an anti-Semitic terrorist sympathiser or anything remotely similar, and he was on the right side in vehemently opposing appeasement and Soviet repression in Eastern Europe.
    I agree. Michael Foot, for all his left-wingery, was a decent, well-meaning man who would have abhorred some of the rhetoric of some current Labour figures.
    IanB2 said:

The chance the LibDems have missed is that had they held on to the near 20% share they started the campaign with, the Labour Party could have been near destroyed.

Swinson supporting a GE and the revoke policy looks like a huge error
  • Pulpstar said:

HUGE, IF TRUE.

Christ
    Early reports from STV, quoting SNP sources. Treat with caution!
  • Very philosophical on BBC Scotland: “What is England’s place in the modern world?”
  • KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850

Andrew Neil to Soames: "Johnson was right to get rid of people like you"

😂😂😂😂😂😂

Handed his arse back to him, and all his other critics likewise, tonight
    Tim_B said:

Green guy on beeb says this is a bad night for the climate

All that hot air from the Labour Civil War.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,399
    Postie giving Glansman both barrels on ITV
  • YokesYokes Posts: 1,178

News Just In : it Has Been Predicted By Lord Hay That The SDLP Vote Count In Foyle Is CONSIDERABLY Up.

They were in with a great shot of retaking the seat. The SF gain there has looked tenuous particularly over the last lot of months. Just seemed to be a change of ground there.
    Pulpstar said:

HUGE, IF TRUE.

Christ
    Labour wiped out in Scotland for the first time in 113 years?
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,771
    tlg86 said:

I don't think it'll make any difference, Brexit will have happened in seven weeks time, and people won't really remember what happened around Christmas 2019.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Jonathan said:

I am off to bed shortly

Foot 1983
    Corbyn 2019
    I agree that Corbyn is much, much, much worse than Foot.

Jonathan said:

I am off to bed shortly

It will take five years this time. The Brexit Party won’t be taking 10% off Labour in places like Blyth Valley then they will go back to Labour.
    Equally it could take far longer. Look at Labour in Scotland. There might even be no way back.

Two things will determine the next election result which whilst fought in 2024, may well be decided in the next 12 months.

1) Will the Brexit deal hit people's pockets?
    2) Does elect a potential PM as leader?

• FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,069
    tlg86 said:

You assume that Brexit will be popular at the next GE. Brexit may well be the electoral equivalent of Unai Emery...
  • Andrew Neil to Soames: "Johnson was right to get rid of people like you"

😂😂😂😂😂😂

Soames is a thin-skinned buffoon. A lesser son of greater fathers.
  • Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Both. North London Labour has begat a party for North Londoners.
  • El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    As people have observed, this is the end of the United Kingdom. Centuries-old ties are being fractured.

Personally I am delighted. When we return to the days of the Anglo-Saxon Heptarchy, I will be a citizen of the allied nations of Wessex and Kent, and frankly the insular barbarians of Mercia and Northumbria can do one.
  • Northern Ireland News : Ballot Boxes From Off Shore Rathlin Island Have Arrived In Mainland Northern Ireland.
  • ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    Labour blood on the floor on ITV

Go, Alan Johnson. Brave man
  • Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176

Exit Poll putting Warrington North not just Warrington South as a potential Tory gain. Warrington North is rock solid safe Labour.

Really calls into question this exit poll. Burnley my hometown is in the Tory 36

Not going to happen.

Hartlepool, Stalybridge, Oldham East, Heywood all in the 386 and seen highly unlikely to me

I hope somebody hasn't dropped a major bollock here!
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Sammy Wilson in total denial

"That will give us opportunity to have some influence"
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,911
    Somebody needs to remake Our Friends in the North on a Netflix budget.
  • Live scraping should be up and running now.....
  • Alan Johnson absolutely withering - almost in tears - with the Momentum bloke. Ozzy and Ed look on from behind the sofa.
  • Stockton South a big Tory win. Stockton North the Labour team look like someone has shot their puppy based on sampling. No counting yet
  • https://twitter.com/jessphillips/status/1205272251274350594

Jess going for it then, seems like all the lefties are out of the question.

Isn't that a line from "No Offence" ?
  • WE need more results...

Live scraping should be up and running now.....

Most looking forward to those swing charts.
  • Ian Blackford sceptical of the Exit Poll. SNP done very well, but he doesn’t think that that 55 figure is right.
    West Lancashire:

51% chance Lab, 49% Con.
  • Exit Poll putting Warrington North not just Warrington South as a potential Tory gain. Warrington North is rock solid safe Labour.

Really calls into question this exit poll. Burnley my hometown is in the Tory 36

Not going to happen.

Hartlepool, Stalybridge, Oldham East, Heywood all in the 386 and seen highly unlikely to me

Blyth Valley suggests not.
  • Exit Poll putting Warrington North not just Warrington South as a potential Tory gain. Warrington North is rock solid safe Labour.

Not going to happen.

Look at the mood music coming in from count. It's a bloodbath for labour.
    @FrancisUrquhart can you confirm the link?

Ian Blackford sceptical of the Exit Poll. SNP done very well, but he doesn’t think that that 55 figure is right.

I dunno. If they’re close in Edinburgh south...
  • EPGEPG Posts: 5,996
    tlg86 said:

EPG said:

tlg86 said:

Alternatively, support it in principle and then blame the Tories if they fuck it up. If they don't and Labour oppose it...
    45-50% of voters still support the EU. But they split across many parties for a wide set of reasons, more than Leave voters split.

It is not inconceivable that the Conservatives, even with Brexit, will not manage to please Bolsover and Sedgefield. (It is also not inconceivable that the new American-aligned future has them playing the role of West Virginia.)
  • Alistair said:

Sammy Wilson in total denial

"That will give us opportunity to have some influence"

Oh, bless him, the poor benighted simpleton.
  • RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,973

As people have observed, this is the end of the United Kingdom. Centuries-old ties are being fractured.

Personally I am delighted. When we return to the days of the Anglo-Saxon Heptarchy, I will be a citizen of the allied nations of Wessex and Kent, and frankly the insular barbarians of Mercia and Northumbria can do one.

I'm not sure it is quite so simple. Who would have thought a year ago we'd be here.
    edited December 2019
    This is pretty much the result I was expecting in 2017, as others have said.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited December 2019
    Come back Alan Johnson and Ed Balls....FFS these Maomentum student politics tw@ts need to shut up and bugger off.
    edited December 2019

IanB2 said:

There was going to be a GE at some point; to judge the former you’d need to consider the elections that were held a few months earlier and a few months later in those parallel universes.

But the LibDem post mortem will have a lot to work on. I hope they do a more thorough job than in 2017.
  • murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,037

I can't think Jess Phillips is going to be a pro-Brexit party? What on Earth can Labour do?

Legitimately lost

Centre-left, pivot to EU party.

It may seem like madness but it's a long waiting game and events such as the calamity of Brexit will (in time) be unleashed for electoral advantage.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,232
    edited December 2019

Jonathan said:

I am off to bed shortly

Foot 1983
    Corbyn 2019
    And IIRC (am I correct?) he supported the Government over the Falklands

I’m going to get my head down for a few hours.

See you when more results have come in...
    By the way, whilst I doubt it was a case of "it was the Mirror wot lost it", I thought this front page was utterly misguided:

https://twitter.com/DailyMirror/status/1204893739354853376
  • Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    edited December 2019
    A straw we can grasp.

• Live scraping should be up and running now.....

I'm seeing just the first two results.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,771

WE need more results...

I hate the way you get a few results and then nothing for an hour or so.

So inconsiderate.
  • IanB2 said:

Yepp. Revoke was idiocy beyond belief.
  • Symbolic.
  • North Down Update : The Alliance Party (Stephen Farry) Vote Count Will Increase Immensely.

There Is A Possibility There Will Be A Re Count. (North Down)
  • viewcode said:

Lord, but I hate Jeremy Vine

Mum, is that you? :lol:

Ian Blackford sceptical of the Exit Poll. SNP done very well, but he doesn’t think that that 55 figure is right.

What did the 2015 exit poll say? Was it 58 out of 59? I think it was.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Pulpstar said:

HUGE, IF TRUE.

Christ
    The Exit Poll has it as a 47% chance of a gain.

Holy Shit this is bonkers.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    Kate Hoey far more common a labour person than the party would like to believe
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,279
    viewcode said:

Jonathan said:

I am off to bed shortly

Foot 1983
    Corbyn 2019
    And IIRC (am I correct?) he supported the Government over the Falklands

Yup. Foot backed HMG over Falklands.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited December 2019

Live scraping should be up and running now.....

I'm seeing just the first two results.
    Checking now.....GRRRHHH...Fire fighting here, thanks BBC for totally changing your webpage.

Should be correct now....
  • Severin Carrell suggesting that Ian Murray is apparently safe after all.
    rcs1000 said:

WE need more results...

I hate the way you get a few results and then nothing for an hour or so.

So inconsiderate.
    A handful of counts do all the running about to try and claim the prize. The rest don’t see the point, quite sensibly.

Not going to happen.

I hope so too. But I think this is an electoral earthquake that can be transformative. The North West in these constituencies, and the NE too, voted Leave and Labour metaphorically derided their own populace and laughed in their faces.

Once people change minds they can change with the zeal of the convert.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,958
    EPG said:

tlg86 said:

This result has killed Rejoin for a decade.
  • DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093

dr_spyn said:

Allegations of voting fraud are being investigated at a number of locations in Scotland as counting is under way in the 2019 UK general election.

Renfrewshire Council said a possible case of personation had been reported to police in the Paisley and Renfrewshire North constituency.

At the Glasgow count, three cases are also being looked at while one is alleged in Stirling.

BBC.

Why is it peronation and not impersonation?
    Same thing in lay terms. 'Personation' is the name of the offence under s60 RPA 1983
  • Blackford: the entire Lib Dem campaign in Ross, Skye and Lochaber has been Royal Mail leaflets. Nearly zero SLD activists on the ground.

You can’t win Highland seats without speaking to people.
  • BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    Love that Canterbury is an 88% Tory chance. Kent is blue!
This discussion has been closed.