Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn’s quitting but not quite yet as Blair’s old seat goes t

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,636
    Anyway, I've been up all night and I'm going to bed. Final thoughts:

Unbelievably bad by the LDs
    SNP dominance continues to be very worrying
    We are now at the mercy of Boris, and are relying on him to be relatively sensible
    Labour will not learn any lessons from this.
  • Options

Oh dear one of my Facebook friends has just posted the Steve Coogan quote.

Which was???
    'We've fucked it, lads'
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

Not quite as bad as predicted....but bad enough...

https://twitter.com/BBCPhilipSim/status/1205367771523158016?s=20

Strictly speaking, O&S hasn't declared yet. But given what we know, I don't think we should expect another surprise from that quarter.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited December 2019

Which was???
    "The reason the Tories don’t invest in education is they depend on the ignorance that will lead to their support.”
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,466
    Quincel said:

Did the Greens set up any plausible targets? Any double-digit rises or 20%+ results?

They went backwards on the Isle of Wight although they still got about 15%.

They got 15.7% in Bury St Edmunds:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/politics/constituencies/E14000613
  • Options

Which was???
    That Tories want to keep people stupid so they will vote for them, I assume.
  • Options
    PaulMPaulM Posts: 613

kle4 said:

I would love to believe Boris has a plan to win over Scotland, draw it back from the brink of indy other than just saying no to them, and that that plan will work, but I cannot. He's proven me very wrong before, so I hope he will again.

What's he actually meant to do? The Unionist vote in Scotland is hopelessly split. If we somehow end up with Indyref2 *AND* the No campaign wins it again, Indyref3 will simply follow in a few years' time.

The Union is finished. It's done.
    The union has been finished since the Brexit vote. It’s an English nationalist project.
    Wales voted to Leave.

But this is a sterile argument that's been had a million times. We are where we are.

My real concern regarding the Union with Scotland is what happens if we do have one - or more - repetitions of the failed first referendum, and it becomes obvious that the independence movement is simultaneously too strong to be denied power in Edinburgh and too weak to get what it wants. We could be going round in circles on this matter indefinitely.

That's no good for Scotland - but it's no good for the rest of us, either.
    Remember those polls about the prices Leavers were willing to pay? They were cool with chucking Northern Ireland to the wolves. They were cool with jettisoning Scotland. They were cool with a serious economic downturn.

And everyone said: “oh, they don’t really mean it.” And now they’ve just voted for all of it.
    FWIW, something like 45% of the population in both Northern Ireland and Scotland already wanted rid of the Union *BEFORE* the 2016 EU referendum was held. And that's OK. That's their right and they can articulate good reasons for adopting that stance.

However, I'm afraid that expecting the English and Welsh voter to respond to that stance with tremulous fear and wailing over the break-up of Britain may be asking a bit much. Please explain to said voter why, if so many of the Scots and Northern Irish want a divorce, they ought to care that much about preventing it?
    The English have decided that they don’t care about being British. They want to pursue English nationalism. That is a choice. They could have prioritised the union. They decided that becoming a closed-minded country fearful of the necessary compromises of the 21st century was more important. So be it.
    Posted further down but congratulations on winning our St Albans bet Alastair. Please let me know your charity of choice to settle the bet.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,373
    Chris said:

RobD said:
    And settle down to enjoy the entirely unnecessary economic damage and isolation Britain is volunteering for with no compensating benefits.
    Let's just hope that once Brexit is "done" in January, Johnson perceives his self-interest to lie in ditching the nutters and negotiating a future relationship that limits the damage.

At least we know he won't let principle stand in his way.
    It is remarkable that the electorate has just handed a large majority to a PM, without any real clue as to how he will govern, other than getting Brexit ‘done’.
  • Options
    speedy2speedy2 Posts: 981

Chameleon said:

kle4 said:

I would love to believe Boris has a plan to win over Scotland, draw it back from the brink of indy other than just saying no to them, and that that plan will work, but I cannot. He's proven me very wrong before, so I hope he will again.

What's he actually meant to do? The Unionist vote in Scotland is hopelessly split. If we somehow end up with Indyref2 *AND* the No campaign wins it again, Indyref3 will simply follow in a few years' time.

Famously Quebec separated from Canada after the 5th referendum.
    Do we seriously think that the SNP is going to collapse in a heap if it fights a second referendum and loses?
    The Block Quebecois is the closest analogy of the SNP's future.
  • Options
    Oh God, Bad Al on Sky....
  • Options

Strictly speaking, O&S hasn't declared yet. But given what we know, I don't think we should expect another surprise from that quarter.
    It's just declared:

LD hold by 2,507.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/politics/constituencies/S14000051
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

So how many views did the Andrew Neil tweet get in the end ?

Almost as many as the Phoneygate video...
  • Options

https://twitter.com/BBCPhilipSim/status/1205367334958972928?s=20
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,331
    tlg86 said:

Brom said:

One of the best results thinking about it is Burnley going Tory, on the same night the remain dream died. I’d love to see the look on Alastair Campbell’s face!

That was a terrible result for the old Lib Dem MP.
    Alastair Campbell looks like he has swallowed a platefil of raw snails.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

We are now at the mercy of Boris, and are relying on him to be relatively sensible

I'm most concerned about the last point. The idiot membership are going to have a collective rattle-out-the-pram episode and vote in someone even worse than Corbyn, aren't they?

Basically look at the surviving members of the PLP and pick the most extreme and idiotic woman amongst them. There's the next leader of the Labour Party.
  • Options
    Jezza managing to do what other Labour leaders couldn't....Lose seats for Labour that they haven't done so since WWII
  • Options
    McDonnell isn't seriously going to run for leader of the Labour Party is he? Really? What does he think, they just needed to be even more left wing?
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    So Cummings call it right again

Lots of people in London talking to each other but having no understanding of the rest of the country
  • Options

So Cummings call it right again

Lots of people in London talking to each other but having no understanding of the rest of the country

What was he said about getting out of London...
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Chris said:

RobD said:
    And settle down to enjoy the entirely unnecessary economic damage and isolation Britain is volunteering for with no compensating benefits.
    Let's just hope that once Brexit is "done" in January, Johnson perceives his self-interest to lie in ditching the nutters and negotiating a future relationship that limits the damage.

It is remarkable that the electorate has just handed a large majority to a PM, without any real clue as to how he will govern, other than getting Brexit ‘done’.
    Well what was the alternative ?
    Hung Parliament ?
    Farage ?
    An 8 party rainbow coalition ?

If one wanted change with stability of a majority government they voted Conservative.
  • Options
    PaulM said:

The union has been finished since the Brexit vote. It’s an English nationalist project.

Wales voted to Leave.

But this is a sterile argument that's been had a million times. We are where we are.

My real concern regarding the Union with Scotland is what happens if we do have one - or more - repetitions of the failed first referendum, and it becomes obvious that the independence movement is simultaneously too strong to be denied power in Edinburgh and too weak to get what it wants. We could be going round in circles on this matter indefinitely.

Remember those polls about the prices Leavers were willing to pay? They were cool with chucking Northern Ireland to the wolves. They were cool with jettisoning Scotland. They were cool with a serious economic downturn.

And everyone said: “oh, they don’t really mean it.” And now they’ve just voted for all of it.
    FWIW, something like 45% of the population in both Northern Ireland and Scotland already wanted rid of the Union *BEFORE* the 2016 EU referendum was held. And that's OK. That's their right and they can articulate good reasons for adopting that stance.

However, I'm afraid that expecting the English and Welsh voter to respond to that stance with tremulous fear and wailing over the break-up of Britain may be asking a bit much. Please explain to said voter why, if so many of the Scots and Northern Irish want a divorce, they ought to care that much about preventing it?
    The English have decided that they don’t care about being British. They want to pursue English nationalism. That is a choice. They could have prioritised the union. They decided that becoming a closed-minded country fearful of the necessary compromises of the 21st century was more important. So be it.
    Posted further down but congratulations on winning our St Albans bet Alastair. Please let me know your charity of choice to settle the bet.
    Thanks for reminding me. I’m glad it’s for charity because I felt you were very rash taking it. As you can see, even on an awful night for the Lib Dems it was always a good chance.

Could you send the money to a charity called Headway Essex? Thanks.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Wales voted to Leave.

I get that you're disappointed but that hyperbole is needless - and both Celtic nationalism and Irish republicanism pre-date Euroscepticism by decades. It's arguable that this denouement has been coming since the dissolution of the British Empire.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,331
    Did Paul O'grady say he was going to emigrate again?
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,913
    Andy_JS said:

Quincel said:

Did the Greens set up any plausible targets? Any double-digit rises or 20%+ results?

They went backwards on the Isle of Wight although they still got about 15%.

They got 15.7% in Bury St Edmunds:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/politics/constituencies/E14000613
    As touted by my placard watch, they made no effort in their former third best seat Norwich South and lost their deposit. They are the opposition on the council here
  • Options
    At the moment the Tories are on exactly the same share of the GB vote as they received last time: 43.5%. There are 8 results to come which will probably raise it slightly.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election/2019/results
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    HYUFD said:
    I can taste the chlorinated chicken already... and it tastes good :o
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,097
    Nigelb said:

Chris said:

RobD said:

It will be very interesting to see whether he immediately jettisons people like Raab and Rees-Mogg, now he has a clear electoral mandate for his deal.
  • Options
    Ooops, fell asleep around 3.30!

Congrats to Boris and the Tories!

ELBOW predicted vote shares of 43.1 and 33.7, so it wasn't far off this time :lol:
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/BallotBoxScot/status/1205369756347449345?s=20

Note SNP 47 vs 48 is whether the guy they disowned (and SLAB still managed to lose to in Gordon Brown's old seat) counts as SNP or not. He was on the ballot paper as SNP, but may not technically sit as SNP until they've forgotten all about it a thorough investigation is completed.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    LOL

she does have a good sense of humour
  • Options

kle4 said:

I'm most concerned about the last point. The idiot membership are going to have a collective rattle-out-the-pram episode and vote in someone even worse than Corbyn, aren't they?

Basically look at the surviving members of the PLP and pick the most extreme and idiotic woman amongst them. There's the next leader of the Labour Party.
    The risk for Labour is the process of being a metropolitan only party is accelerated instead of reversed by it's next leader.

Anyway I wont post again probably until the run up to the Iowa caucus.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:
    In fairness their chicken tastes loads better than ours. Oh to have Chik Fil A in the UK.
  • Options
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

• Options
    Andy_JS said:

At the moment the Tories are on exactly the same share of the GB vote as they received last time: 43.5%. There are 8 results to come which will probably raise it slightly.

I predicted 43.6 this afternoon, thought it would be symbolic if Boris beats May
  • Options

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

You can rest easy for five years....
  • Options
    Alistair Campbell complains politics is becoming nasty

no sense of irony either
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I think the one bright spot for them is that those who defected to the party only as a matter of political convenience haven't been elected.
  • Options
    PaulM said:

kle4 said:

Wales voted to Leave.

The National Society for the Protection of Colourblind Tailors.
  • Options
    Brom said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:
    In fairness their chicken tastes loads better than ours. Oh to have Chik Fil A in the UK.
    I think it's mostly the same chicken nuggets.
  • Options
    speedy2 said:

kle4 said:

The risk for Labour is the process of being a metropolitan only party is accelerated instead of reversed by it's next leader.

Anyway I wont post again probably until the run up to the Iowa caucus.
    Don't stay away for long, you always add value to PB.
  • Options
    Newcastle-under-Lyme:

Con 23,485
    Lab 16,039
    LD 2,361
    BRX 1,921
    Grn 933

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/politics/constituencies/E14000834
  • Options
    Privately, he has described Mr Johnson’s ‘fundamentals’ as ‘very positive’. Internal polling showed the PM was ‘miles ahead on leadership and the numbers are moving in the right direction’, he told ministers.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7787579/Boris-Johnsons-poll-guru-serenaded-Tory-HQ-shock-exit-poll-result-announced.html
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    Just checked in.

I got that badly wrong :blush:

Well done to those who called it. I shall lick my wounds and be back. As will Labour and the LibDems, although in some ways I think the task for the latter is harder. For Labour, well they have to elect a Leader who is acceptable. And there will need to be a massive cleansing operation. Will they do it? I'm not sure.

It's incredible to think that on September 25th Labour and the LibDems could almost certainly have voted no confidence in Boris Johnson and installed someone else into No.10. The squabbled, allowed Johnson off the ropes and were absolutely walloped.

It's like that moment in GoT when Oberyn Martell got cocky against Gregor Clegane. He had him on the floor and facing certain death. Instead he got his skull crushed.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Is that the dog everyone is so enamoured of?

Does it have the same hair stylist as Boris?
  • Options
    Brom said:

Andy_JS said:

I predicted 43.6 this afternoon, thought it would be symbolic if Boris beats May
    That could turn out to be the perfect prediction.
  • Options

Just checked in.

Well done to those who called it. I shall lick my wounds and be back. As will Labour and the LibDems, although in some ways I think the task for the latter is harder. For Labour, well they have to elect a Leader who is acceptable. And there will need to be a massive cleansing operation. Will they do it? I'm not sure.

It's incredible to think that on September 25th Labour and the LibDems could almost certainly have voted no confidence in Boris Johnson and installed someone else into No.10. The squabbled, allowed Johnson off the ropes and were absolutely walloped.

It's like that moment in GoT when Oberyn Martell got cocky against Gregor Clegane. He had him on the floor and facing certain death. Instead he got his skull crushed.

Very well put all round. They got complicated and clever when it wasn't necessary, the path was simple even though it was difficult for them.
  • Options

I get that you're disappointed but that hyperbole is needless - and both Celtic nationalism and Irish republicanism pre-date Euroscepticism by decades. It's arguable that this denouement has been coming since the dissolution of the British Empire.

Disappointment is the wrong word. Since 2016, Britain has had only choices between alternative disastrous courses. It is distasteful in the extreme to see such an appalling, incompetent, dangerous and anti-democratic government rewarded so richly, but the alternative outcomes were no better. As a compensation, I shall enjoy watching the next few years unfold as some of those celebrating exuberantly tonight come to realise how they are going to be screwed over.

As to your main point, Celtic nationalism and Irish republicanism indeed predated Brexit. Britain had by 2016 reached an uneasy working balance with both. That has now been upended.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,922
    Curious coincidences:

In 2017, the LibDems lost a tenth of their votes, but increased their seats 50%.
    In 2019, the LibDems lost a tenth of their seats, but increased their votes 50%.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Confirmation Cheltenham is Con hold. Chalk that up as a very narrow win
  • Options
    swinson resigns
  • Options
    Sky News: Tories hold Cheltenham.
  • Options
    Was she even allowed to be leader while not being an MP?
  • Options

Just checked in.

Absolutely true. Arrogance and hubris by Lab and LD alike marked a massive turning point in history.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    They've done terrible in seats but 12% isn't a bad place for a minor party to build from.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    LDs had no choice but to move quickly.

They can't have a leader outside of the Commons.

Davey is dull but they don't exactly have many options
  • Options

swinson resigns

Swansong for Swinson.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Was she even allowed to be leader while not being an MP?
    God knows what the LD rules are, we never used to need to worry about this type of thing.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,887
    Andy_JS said:

So the conservatives got the same vote share but won 66 more seats.
  • Options
    "B Johnson n'est plus l'otage des Brexiters les + durs."
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

Andy_JS said:

So the conservatives got the same vote share but won 66 more seats.
    Helps that Labour imploded.
  • Options
    Cheltenham:

Con 28,486
    LD 27,505
    Lab 2,921
    OMRLP 445

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/politics/constituencies/E14000630
  • Options
    PaulMPaulM Posts: 613

PaulM said:

Wales voted to Leave.

Thanks for reminding me. I’m glad it’s for charity because I felt you were very rash taking it. As you can see, even on an awful night for the Lib Dems it was always a good chance.

Could you send the money to a charity called Headway Essex? Thanks.
    Glad to Alastair and have just done so. It does appear to be a very good cause.

Daisy Cooper won quite comfortably in the end and got just over 50% which on an awful night for the LDs is impressive.

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,922
  • Options
    Croydon South:

Con 30,985
    Lab 18,646
    LD 7,503
    Grn 1,782
    UKIP 442

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/politics/constituencies/E14000656
  • Options
    What's most remarkable looking at the new constituency map of the country - maybe even more so than the socking great yellow block at the top, which we've had before - is how shrunken Labour has become. They've just got the urban cores, the South Wales valleys, a few university towns and that's just about it. Labour has been essentially eradicated from rural Britain now (what's the nearest thing they've got left to a patch of countryside - Canterbury, perhaps?)

Labour's surviving strongholds are now marooned in great seas of blue, vanquished by a Conservative Party whose centre of gravity has shifted about a hundred miles north-westwards overnight. The big questions now are: is this Government capable of fulfilling the wishes of its new voter coalition and holding it together? And does Labour have the ability to reconnect with the parts of the electorate it has lost - and can it even be bothered to try?
  • Options
    5 results to come:

St Ives, Devon W, Arundel, Northants S, Fermanagh.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    edited December 2019
    No, Con share is up 1.2%

Last time: 43.5% GB, 42.4% UK

This time: 43.6% UK (GB unknown, but probably 44.7%)

Above is with 5 results to come
  • Options
    If the LDs can't win St Ives they'll be one seat down on last time.
  • Options
    YouGov got Wales almost spot on
    YG: Lab 40% Con 37% PC 10% LD 6% BXP 5%
    Real:Lab: 40.9%, Con 36.1% PC 9.9% LD 6% BXP 5.4%

• Options
    MimusMimus Posts: 56

Partridge proves more popular than Coogan shock!
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
  • Options
    England - with four results still to come:

Con 47.1%
    Lab 34.2%
    LD 12.3%
    Green 3.0%
    Brex 2.0%

Assuming the Tories take the four remaining seats, that's an overall majority of 153.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    Quincel said:

Congrats on ur fantasy team. Top of everyone last time I checked.
  • Options
    Hang on, I think I've got confused about the vote share figures on the BBC website. I thought they were GB but they're actually UK, which means the Tories are up by 1.2%. Sorry about that.
  • Options
  • Options
    oh fck

that total wanker in the Brexit hat is back

TV was watchable for a while
  • Options
    this is when you know social media is a bad invention
  • Options
    Artist said:
    Good work!
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

Just checked in.

Labour expected a Red Wave. Instead, they got a Red Wedding :smile:
  • Options

Quincel said:

Congrats on ur fantasy team. Top of everyone last time I checked.
    Tremendous result! I'm languishing in mid table mediocrity...
This discussion has been closed.