Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » GE2019 – the result with two seats to be declared

Comments

• Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    FF43 said:

maaarsh said:

SNP on 45% declaring total victory. Where do I remember that figure from...

Marginally more plausible than the Tories on 43% declaring total victory.
    Different rules 45% binary (for IndyRef), 43% FPTP
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

If the Tories take these seats for granted, Labour has a window.

https://twitter.com/theousherwood/status/1205448236846256128?s=20

But they need to get rid of Corbyn urgently.

Oh FFS, here we go, the regret narrative like after the referendum.

It's of course bollocks.
    In the East Midlands Rowley and Bradley have turned their narrow gains from last time into fortresses. My seat Bassetlaw has done it all in one go !
    Bolsover isnt coming back to Labour in a hurry would be my guess
    A lot of people voted against Corbyn rather than in favour of Boris. Where they had a viable alternative (Scotland) they grabbed it.
    What happens next depends on what Boris and the Labour party choose to do.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,153
    RobD said:

@RobinWiggs that looks good.

Short on cholesterol in the sunshine state?

• Options

Finally went to bed at 5am, happy.

Up at 8 for work.

Let's get Breakfast Done!

Like the old British Rail Breakfast! A Heart Attack on a Plate! I love it!

(If you caught the Scottish trains you'd get Lorne sausage too!)
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited December 2019
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

They fetishise that they say they represent the young and that Corbyn got such a high vote in 2017 as a reason to ignore everything else.

Labourites fear not, the fightback is on...

https://twitter.com/JodyyDC/status/1205342709436878850
    What an odious man. Fight them with all you've got, I hope many do, and I get he is rallying his faithful, but tone it down a notch.
    Would be interesting to do some maths on how the "Labour 203" stack up.

How many of them have served in government? And in cabinet? This number must have seriously dwindled. How many survivors from the Miliband shadow cabinet?

Of those MPs who have been elected before and so we have data on their parliamentary votes (not perfect but can be number-crunched to give a sense of position on the left-right scale) how do they stand on the political spectrum compared to Labour's MPs from 2017, 2015 and 2010? Has the parliamentary party headed leftwards like its membership base? (Would be interesting to know also who surviving MPs had backed in both of Corbyn's leadership contests.)

Of the first-time MPs - where did they come from? The spadlands, private sector, public sector, third sector, the unions? How does that compare to 2017, 2015, 2010? Do we know how many of them are signed-up/endorsed Corbynistas?
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,352
    viewcode said:

kle4 said:

On a personal note, congratulations to Aaron on his success at the general election.

We must call him the honourable Mr Bell now by law. :)

Though I doubt we will see him post again.
    I thought you only got the "honourable" bit if you were a member of the Privy Council. Or have I misunderstood?
    isn't that the "Right Honourable".???. bit rusty on my Brit Con
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,715

That’s a very perceptive post.
    I agree perceptive, in particular on the antisemitism issue. Channelling my Talleyrand, tolerating antisemitism was not so much wrong as stupid. Particularly given Corbyn is probably less racist than Johnson. The key point is that Corbyn is very self-indulgent. A serious and self disciplined politician would never have let the issue become a problem.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Maybe SCons shouldn't have made it a single issue election about Indy

https://twitter.com/StewartMcDonald/status/1205305020813578240?s=19
  • Options
    viewcode said:

kle4 said:

On a personal note, congratulations to Aaron on his success at the general election.

I thought you only got the "honourable" bit if you were a member of the Privy Council. Or have I misunderstood?
    All members are honourable; privy councillors (or counsellors) are right honourable.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

kle4 said:

I think Privy Council Members are Right Honourables - everyone else is just "Honourable" (sic)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Privy_Council_of_the_United_Kingdom#Rights_and_privileges_of_members
  • Options

SunnyJim said:

I wonder if, when Patel (assuming she is still in post) is looking for something to do she might have a major go at the electoral system. New Boundary Commission for example, but also tighter rules on postal voting as in some countries no Opinion Polls in the last few days, to discourage Tactical Voting.

Electoral reform is something everybody can get behind...

1. Making the constituencies as fair as is reasonably possible.

2. Ensuring the integrity of the electoral process whilst still enabling those who genuinely can't get to a polling station to still use a postal vote.

Neither of these things are contentious in my view.
    Even better if we had a fair voting system. But no chance of that, especially with Patel in post.
    It needs Labour to back it and put it in their manifesto - then become largest party but no majority. So, don't hold your breath.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

Seems in hindsight Labour in 2017 got a high vote in spite of Corbyn not because of him

Unfair, I think.

Corbyn was fresh as a leader, untainted with antisemitism, had some interesting policies and crucially fudged the Brexit issue so he kept both Remainers and Leavers onside.

The problem was Brexit could only be fudged for so long. Corby should have taken May's deal, made some conditions say on the environment or worker's right, and then supported it.

May would have agreed anything -- she was desperate.

It would have got Brexit out of the way, and Corby could have fought any subsequent election (which would have been part of the deal) on better territory.
    And -- the other thing which clinches it -- is that Corby would then have been fighting Theresa May in the election.

He would have beaten May, with the reverse Midas touch, in a second election.

Corby should have stuck to his Leave viewpoint and agreed a deal to Leave with Theresa May.
  • Options

kle4 said:

They fetishise that they say they represent the young and that Corbyn got such a high vote in 2017 as a reason to ignore everything else.

another deluded fool.
    Call me old fashioned but I always cringe when I hear fervent Labour supporters with names like Jody hyphenated anything. This bloke reassures my prejudice.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990

Up at 8 for work.

Baked beans and tomato. And a runny egg. Makes me heave at the thought of it. Nice piece of black pudding, though!
  • Options

Up at 8 for work.

What a perfectly balanced breakfast. Huge respect to whoever prepared that.

The perfect blend of wet and dry ingredients. Black Pudding.

Perfect.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Random musings:
    1. Chris Williamson's lost deposit and mere hundreds of votes... :)
    2. What happened to Amol Rajan and his social media updates, shown early on BBC and never seen again?
    3. No Owen Jones, Bastani or Blakeney on BBC coverage - hopefully they will fade away?
    4. Last time Mark Francois is allowed in front of a national TV camera if Boris has any sense. Berlin Wall = Red Wall, was he on something?
    5. V Sad Berger didn't win the F & GG seat.
    6. John Mann, Ian Austin, John Woodcock et al should get humble apologies from their former moderate colleagues.
    7. Twitter really is pointless for judging the public mood.
    8. Corbyn protege Pidcock goes yet with no TV cameras even there to capture it seemingly.
    9. OGH seemingly voted Labour after everything that he'd said before about Corbyn's A/S. Or did I get that wrong?

Owen Jones was on ITV, undergoing a series of personal tragedies on live television.

There were a few places where cameras hadn't been sent - Blyth Valley was another - where presumably the television networks thought them just too improbable losses.
    Blyth valley was on BBC and was an extremely early sign of things to come.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,772

I've done my sums and I'm up either £2.2K or £2.3K, depending on the final St Ives result. The odd thing is that I didn't really bet very much on the main result. I had a couple of dozen constituency bets, which went very well indeed sometimes at quite good odds, and a sell of the LibDems on the spreads at 45, which was obviously a nice one. I also did very well on SPIN's 25-10-0 markets - I looked for cases where the third-ranked party had little chance of coming second but was priced at between 3 and 6 points in most cases (9.5 in the case of the LibDems in Putney!!) and sold them, making a profit on all the seats I went for. Also turnout, zero seats for the BXP, less than 5 for PC, and Alistair's late tip on SNP under 55.5.

@Richard_Nabavi , well done
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238

https://twitter.com/LucyMPowell/status/1205448523250094080

Lucy Powell, the dark horse? Northern, not much baggage, a woman

Unfortunately, she is as bright as a 40 watt bulb.
  • Options

SunnyJim said:

I wonder if, when Patel (assuming she is still in post) is looking for something to do she might have a major go at the electoral system. New Boundary Commission for example, but also tighter rules on postal voting as in some countries no Opinion Polls in the last few days, to discourage Tactical Voting.

2. Ensuring the integrity of the electoral process whilst still enabling those who genuinely can't get to a polling station to still use a postal vote.

I'm not sure what is wrong with tactical voting as such. I suspect a lot of labour voters voted tory because of Corbyn, rather than pro Johnson. (little do they know..).

When you have an unfair voting system the only thing left for minority parties is tactical voting!
    Went well didn't it.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited December 2019

‘ The Labour Party has consistently misjudged the mood of the electorate. The party is fixated on the negative; cuts, austerity, poverty etc. We have forgotten that there are lots of people who are sort of doing OK. In fact the Resolution Foundation found recently that people in the UK have never been happier, more here. What is the Labour Party’s message for happy people, people who are doing OK, people who want to get on and enjoy their lives? How do we combine our vital message on social and economic justice with the need to serve people who aren’t living precarious lives?“

This! Labour had got itself into the cul de sac of seeking more and more outrage. Ramping up the notion of poverty Britain. You were either a billionaire or living in squaller surviving off food banks.

For most people life is pretty good. Fuel prices haven’t increased for years, energy prices dropped, low interest rates, full employment wage rises filtering through.

Normal hard working people often see right through this.
    People haven't voted Tory out of contentment this time, especially not in the northern seats. They both feared Corbyn, and hope for a lot from Brexit.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,304
    edited December 2019

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

isn't that the "Right Honourable".???. bit rusty on my Brit Con
    PC = Rt. Hon
    MP = nothing special apart from MP at the end.
    Son/daughter of peer = Hon*

*it's more complicated than that but that'll do.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,779

Your leading light!
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

Seems in hindsight Labour in 2017 got a high vote in spite of Corbyn not because of him

Unfair, I think.

Corbyn was fresh as a leader, untainted with antisemitism, had some interesting policies and crucially fudged the Brexit issue so he kept both Remainers and Leavers onside.

The problem was Brexit could only be fudged for so long. Corby should have taken May's deal, made some conditions say on the environment or worker's right, and then supported it.

It would have got Brexit out of the way, and Corby could have fought any subsequent election (which would have been part of the deal) on better territory.
    And -- the other thing which clinches it -- is that Corby would then have been fighting Theresa May in the election.

Corby should have stuck to his Leave viewpoint and agreed a deal to Leave with Theresa May.
    I think working with Theresa May to enable any Brexit would probably have meant another leadership challenge, and there's a decent chance he would have lost.
  • Options

I agree she is very, very dim (despite going to Oxford).

It is a pity, because otherwise she ticks all the boxes.
  • Options

Up at 8 for work.

Baked beans and tomato. And a runny egg. Makes me heave at the thought of it. Nice piece of black pudding, though!
    Weatherspoons have a "Miners Benedict" (as if) - with black pudding replacing the bacon on an Eggs Benedict...
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Unfair, I think.

I think working with Theresa May to enable any Brexit would probably have meant another leadership challenge, and there's a decent chance he would have lost.
    Would still have been better for the Labour Party and probably his project.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    I backed Blyth Valley in 2017 ! Anyone else note some of their 2017 Tory bets coming in ?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,749
    viewcode said:

kle4 said:

I think that's right honourable but I confess i dont know if regular mps get the honourable tag.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I backed Blyth Valley in 2017 ! Anyone else note some of their 2017 Tory bets coming in ?

Some key aspects of today were forged in 2017.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Up at 8 for work.

Perfect.
    fried bread AND toast - that's just plain greedy.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Unfair, I think.

It might have meant more Labour --> TIG defections -- and certainly more discontent from the Ultra-Remainer MPs.
  • Options

Alistair said:

Up at 8 for work.

Perfect.
    That's a hash brown.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Up at 8 for work.

Perfect.
    It’s a bit salty to be honest. But for 7 quid with a mug of tea you can’t complain.

That’s Liverpool prices for you.

• Options

‘ The Labour Party has consistently misjudged the mood of the electorate. The party is fixated on the negative; cuts, austerity, poverty etc. We have forgotten that there are lots of people who are sort of doing OK. In fact the Resolution Foundation found recently that people in the UK have never been happier, more here. What is the Labour Party’s message for happy people, people who are doing OK, people who want to get on and enjoy their lives? How do we combine our vital message on social and economic justice with the need to serve people who aren’t living precarious lives?“

This! Labour had got itself into the cul de sac of seeking more and more outrage. Ramping up the notion of poverty Britain. You were either a billionaire or living in squaller surviving off food banks.

For most people life is pretty good. Fuel prices haven’t increased for years, energy prices dropped, low interest rates, full employment wage rises filtering through.

People haven't voted Tory out of contentment this time, especially not in the northern seats. They both feared Corbyn, and hope for a lot from Brexit.
    Indeed, and to some extent at least Labour lost seats like Blyth Valley because of the Brexit Party vote, not the Tories. If the Brexit Party vote goes back to it's natural home (assumption..... may or may not be justified) in five years, then seats such as this will go back to Labour. Johnson is right when he says those votes were 'lent' to him to Get Brexit Done!
  • Options
    Journalist salvaging their articles I see.

Only people who feel worse right now is probably SNP MPs who've been formenting a leadership challenge.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

rkrkrk said:

Unfair, I think.

Would still have been better for the Labour Party and probably his project.
    Possibly, it's hard to say. I think Labour would have lost a lot to the Lib Dems had they enabled Brexit. I do think a soft Brexit would have been best, but the country is polarized and there isn't room to compromise on this issue.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

I think that's right honourable but I confess i dont know if regular mps get the honourable tag.
    Do you ever listen to Parliament?
  • Options

Up at 8 for work.

Weatherspoons have a "Miners Benedict" (as if) - with black pudding replacing the bacon on an Eggs Benedict...
    Haven't been in one of that wretched man's pubs for years.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Omnium said:

Corbyn will presumably want to stay on until his important work tackling anti-semitism in the party is complete.

Or perhaps he''l become president in perpetuity or something, with two co-leaders who embrace diametrically opposite views as I think was the suggestion.

Strange how crap Labour are at dealing with defeat - especially since they've had so much recent practice.

A touch unfair. I am sure people are tired and in shock this morning. The next few days are important, but right now they deserve some slack.
    Sorry for slow reply (I mainly assume my comments are ignored, much as they should be)

Sure - I wan't making a point here though - these things are true or plausible.

I have no sympathy for the far left - they planned to ruin me after all.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,672
    edited December 2019

Alistair said:

Up at 8 for work.

Perfect.
    Attending a pub lunch in my old home town, Forfar, someone ordered Macaroni and Chips - the waitress asked if they'd like some buttered bread with that?
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,255
    Main headline in Der Spiegel: "Die Gänse haben für Weihnachten gestimmt"
  • Options

Johnson has fairly quick decisions to make. His deal, which is more like Canada than Norway, on its own will have negative consequences for his new manafacturing constituencies in a pretty short space of time. He will have to mitigate this with new policies tailored to those areas to have any hope of retaining this bloc.

His massive majority means he can bin off the ERG and now deliver a Brexit that works. Anyone considered this? Johnson isn't stupid. Johnson isn't a headbanger. Johnson looks at all these red wall seats he's won and knows they will abandon him fast if Baker et al insist on a crushing Brexit deal that utterly demolishes places like Don Valley.

So I don't think he will. Farage neutered. ERG neutered. Watch Johnson tack towards sanity now and do a deal that they'll hate.
    Yes. I’ve been saying this for weeks.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850

Up at 8 for work.

The one in Camborne does a mean curry.

Good ol' Spoons.
  • Options

SunnyJim said:

I'm not sure what is wrong with tactical voting as such. I suspect a lot of labour voters voted tory because of Corbyn, rather than pro Johnson. (little do they know..).

When you have an unfair voting system the only thing left for minority parties is tactical voting!
    Went well didn't it.
    Hard to tell with FPTP, you'd have to look at the actual votes in specific seats and compare that with what would be expected - which must be quite difficult.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    FF43 said:

I agree perceptive, in particular on the antisemitism issue. Channelling my Talleyrand, tolerating antisemitism was not so much wrong as stupid. Particularly given Corbyn is probably less racist than Johnson. The key point is that Corbyn is very self-indulgent. A serious and self disciplined politician would never have let the issue become a problem.
    You underestimate his singleminded stupidity. To understand him you have to ask "What would Uncle Joe Stalin have done?" Stalin was an anti Zionist antisemite. So, therefore is Corbyn, and antisemitism is therefore a core principle, never just a bit of fun on the side. Corbyn is too principled to duck out of his duty to participate in the three Minute Hate for political advantage.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Up at 8 for work.

Perfect.
    That's a hash brown.
    Is that posh fried bread? 🤔
  • Options
    RobinWiggsRobinWiggs Posts: 621
    edited December 2019
    My only disappointment las night was we didn’t’ take Alyn & Deeside to complete the clean sweep in North Wales.

I’ve already met today some of the 200 BXP voters that needed to vote Tory to take the seat. They thought BXP were the challengers despite being natural Tories.

The almost non-existent Tory ground game is to blame. They should have spoken and canvassed those voters.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,304

Alistair said:

Up at 8 for work.

Perfect.
    It’s a bit salty to be honest. But for 7 quid with a mug of tea you can’t complain.

That’s Liverpool prices for you.

what's with the fancy schmancy square plate??
  • Options

Victor’s spoils to say that people voted for whatever you stood for or against.
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    edited December 2019
    If the Corbynite side is thrown out and takes it’s voters to a new vehicle, and the LibDems do better at picking over the rest of the corpse of its vote....
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,123
    matt said:

I would have thought a period of silence from a number of people here would be sensible. They can’t help it though - quickly making predictions about the many ways in which the Conservatives will fail. While explaining that the voters are thick.

I don't think they'll necessarily fail. I think it's more likely they'll succeed in a way that will make the loopy right-wing nutters hate Boris Johnson more than his political opponents do now. But we'll see.
  • Options

Up at 8 for work.

The one in Camborne does a mean curry.

Good ol' Spoons.
    Very chary of buying a 'curry' in any British pub. Poor experiences.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Up at 8 for work.

Perfect.
    I *love* fried bread. Am I strange?
  • Options

Unfair, I think.

He couldn't carry necessary votes for that
  • Options
    Boris should just call her bluff, let her have her referendum in summer 2020 and watch as 'Remain' wins again.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,609
    kle4 said:

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

They do. Though by dint of tradition rather than description.
  • Options

Alistair said:

Up at 8 for work.

Perfect.
    Attending a pub lunch in my old home town, Forfar, someone ordered Macaroni and Chips - the waitress asked if they'd like some buttered bread with that?
    I can well believe the first part but it's a stretch to accept that already buttered bread was offered. Very considerate though if you fancied a chip butty too.
  • Options
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Up at 8 for work.

Perfect.
    That's a hash brown.
    Yes. And I think they boiled it!

• Options

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Up at 8 for work.

Perfect.
    That's a hash brown.
    Potato and onion.
  • Options

nico67 said:

Oh God the latest slogan . The People’s Government ! It’s beginning to sound like China .

It's more vacuous than sinister.
    It's more 1997 Blairite than sinister.
    Like I said, vacuous. Although as I recall when Blair used this kind of language he was delivering a eulogy to a much loved woman after her sudden death in the middle of the night, he wasn't describing his own government. So I will cut him some slack, but then I have always had an abnormal level of affection for Tony.
    I think you slightly misremember -- although I agree Blair's single most memorable instance was the Peoples' Princess

I agree it is vacuous spin-doctoring, whoever does it.
    Blair (or Al C) nicked it from Bill Clinton who spoke about "the People's House" after some fruitcake had tried to blow up 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.
    So Blair and Bad Al noticed what others were doing, leaned lessons from it, applied those lessons to heir own behaviour, and gained electoral success.

Labour have just forgotten how to do politics.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Unfair, I think.

But May did not need many votes from Labour.

But, on reflection, maybe rkrkrk is right that there would have been a leadership challenge or the ultra-Remain wing of the Labour Party would have defected en masse to the TIGgers.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    It’s nonsense to suggest Labour would have done better backing Leave in this election . A large majority of both its voters and membership back Remain.

The Brexit position whilst a fudge was really the only hope of keeping its coalition of voters together and let’s not ignore the fact , many Leave seats in the north and the Midlands still returned a Labour MP .

A better leader, a more credible manifesto whilst not guaranteeing success certainly wouldn’t have led to last nights horror show and it would also have helped the Lib Dems pick up more seats as pro EU Tories might not have been so terrified of a Labour government .

• Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

Most of these comments reflect the chaos of FPTP which gave Labour:

an extraordinary bonus in 2005 (a majority of 50 on ~35% of the popular vote)
    a massive kicking in 2019 (when it got >35%)

Significant? Only insofar as we should have adopted PR a century ago and stopped pretending that inefficient vote distribution means a drop in support.
  • Options
    Black pudding YUK and double YUK
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Alistair said:

Up at 8 for work.

Perfect.
    Good egg moistness and sausage roundness.
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453
    Corbyn should of gone with his instinct
  • Options

Up at 8 for work.

Only option at Gatwick...
  • Options
    Chris said:

matt said:

I would have thought a period of silence from a number of people here would be sensible. They can’t help it though - quickly making predictions about the many ways in which the Conservatives will fail. While explaining that the voters are thick.

I don't think they'll necessarily fail. I think it's more likely they'll succeed in a way that will make the loopy right-wing nutters hate Boris Johnson more than his political opponents do now. But we'll see.
    I get the impression there's going to be a huge fight for the soul of Boris Johnson. George Osborne fired the first shots last night - proclaiming that Boris would be the new Heseltine ('intervene before breakfast, before lunch, before tea and before dinner') and was clearly offering himself as Boris's tutor and mentor. The ERG types will be after Boris too. Which side prevails will shape a nation's destiny.
  • Options
    SCons made this a single issue election.
  • Options

nico67 said:

Oh God the latest slogan . The People’s Government ! It’s beginning to sound like China .

It's more vacuous than sinister.
    It's more 1997 Blairite than sinister.
    Like I said, vacuous. Although as I recall when Blair used this kind of language he was delivering a eulogy to a much loved woman after her sudden death in the middle of the night, he wasn't describing his own government. So I will cut him some slack, but then I have always had an abnormal level of affection for Tony.
    ... I agree Blair's single most memorable instance was the Peoples' Princess...
    If you give me 45 minutes, I'm sure I can deploy a better counter-example... :)
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

Significant? Only insofar as we should have adopted PR a century ago and stopped pretending that inefficient vote distribution means a drop in support.
    Erm, Labour aren't anywhere near 35%!! And posting those numbers without the share of the other party is a bit misleading.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,980

Boris should just call her bluff, let her have her referendum in summer 2020 and watch as 'Remain' wins again.
    I don't think Boris is going to risk any referendums under his watch.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Up at 8 for work.

Perfect.
    That's a hash brown.
    Potato and onion.
    I thought that Scottish potatoes always came in like little sticks
  • Options
    People on here clearly know nothing about breakfast.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    nunu2 said:

nico67 said:

It’s nonsense to suggest Labour would have done better backing Leave in this election . A large majority of both its voters and membership back Remain.

The Brexit position whilst a fudge was really the only hope of keeping its coalition of voters together and let’s not ignore the fact , many Leave seats in the north and the Midlands still returned a Labour MP .

A better leader, a more credible manifesto whilst not guaranteeing success certainly wouldn’t have led to last nights horror show and it would also have helped the Lib Dems pick up more seats as pro EU Tories might not have been so terrified of a Labour government .

... and that fudge came on the back of entering the 2017 election pledging to honour the result and then spending two years in parliament voting against everything.

Voters aren't stupid.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Unfair, I think.

But May did not need many votes from Labour.

But, on reflection, maybe rkrkrk is right that there would have been a leadership challenge or the ultra-Remain wing of the Labour Party would have defected en masse to the TIGgers.
    May would need lots of labour votes as any deal with corbyn would see mass opposition from her own ranks.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

This Tory was shit scared of a Corbyn government and I don't think I was alone in that.
  • Options

Ah - but she's demanding she set the question (Electoral Commission not required) and she set the date...

But yes 'Remain in the UK / Leave the UK' should be the question - whats not to like? - the last time a Remain/Leave question was asked 'Leave' won.
  • Options
    eek said:

I don't think Boris is going to risk any referendums under his watch.
    I suspect that this is a very safe prediction.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    edited December 2019
    Fenster said:

nunu2 said:

nico67 said:

... and that fudge came on the back of entering the 2017 election pledging to honour the result and then spending two years in parliament voting against everything.

Voters aren't stupid.
    That was the real kicker. Voting to honour it yet having three line whips to vote against it at every possible opportunity.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

kle4 said:

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

Do you ever listen to Parliament?
    I actually think the honorable bit is only used in parliament as in the honorable member of by honorable friend in the same way the lords use noble. Once you ar a PC you are the RT Hon for life. You can tack on learned for a QC and gallant for a former general.
  • Options

Black pudding YUK and double YUK

I remember a trip to Blackpool (that new Tory heartland) and they had street vendors selling burgers which were topped with a slice of black pudding amid a bubbling slice of cheese. Yum!
  • Options
    Merry Christmas everyone
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

What an odious man. Fight them with all you've got, I hope many do, and I get he is rallying his faithful, but tone it down a notch.
    I think I speak for a fair chunk of the country when I say I'd like to see him in an actual street fight.
  • Options

It’s not a mandate from this election, and there is no material change in effect yet. If it’s a manifesto commitment in the ScotParl elections in 2021 and she wins, then fair enough.

Schedule for 2022 when we are out of EU totally and FTA has been sealed. No sensible Scot will choose separatism at that point. Too many downsides.

• Options
    I've done ok financially tonight.

What really pleases me most though is a bet I made on Ynys Mon. I've had that seat in my view as a seat that could go blue for ages. I've only ever been able to get tiny bets on, but am 20quid or so richer now. For me this is what political betting is all about.

Mind you the other few grand will come in handy.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    RobD said:

Erm, Labour aren't anywhere near 35%!! And posting those numbers without the share of the other party is a bit misleading.
    Yes if Labour are moaning about FPTP now, they're really going to be upset next time when it's fought on fair boundaries
  • Options

It’s not a mandate from this election, and there is no material change in effect yet. If it’s a manifesto commitment in the ScotParl elections in 2021 and she wins, then fair enough.

Schedule for 2022 when we are out of EU totally and FTA has been sealed. No sensible Scot will choose separatism at that point. Too many downsides.

All good points and agreed.
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453
    Alistair said:

People on here clearly know nothing about breakfast.

Get breakfast done!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Alistair said:

SCons made this a single issue election.
    Both the Scottish Tories and the SNP were correct to make it a single issue (Independence) election I reckon.
    OK So the Tories went backwards but they'd have gone further backward if it was the "Brexit election" in Scotland.
    & Ian Murray ran as a virtual independent again.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,613
    All this cooked breakfast banter is making me hungry. As a good Socialist citizen I had a bowl of muesli, with an added sprinkle of flax seeds.

Time for a cheese and Branston pickle sandwich.
This discussion has been closed.