Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour’s last chance?

SystemSystem Posts: 11,682
edited December 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour’s last chance?

Labour is rather fortunate. Rather than looking on at a mere disaster, its members and supporters could have been witness to the electorate having smote the ruin of a once-great party unto the dust.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,536
    firsty.
  • Options
    Secondy
  • Options
    The PLP should VONC Corbyn when the house resumes sitting - he has to go and now.
  • Options
  • Options
    There is some question-begging here. First, how bad was Jeremy Corbyn, given what most commentators saw as a remarkable turnround in 2017 and even the steady improvement in Labour's opinion poll numbers during this campaign?

Second is that any plausible replacement would have done better. Who? For the most part, those touted as new leaders lack at least one of achievement or charisma, and often both.

We know Jeremy Corbyn will soon stand down and be replaced. It is not clear that this will solve any of Labour's problems, any more than did replacing Brown with Miliband then Corbyn, or the Conservatives replacing Major with Hague, IDS and Howard, or the LibDems replacing Clegg with Farron and Cable and Swinson.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

The PLP should VONC Corbyn when the house resumes sitting - he has to go and now.

I think taking a little time is better than knee jerk action.

Problem is Corbyn in charge for the interim . Not sure he can be trusted nor to try to fix the rules or candidates.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    edited December 2019
    Libdems have just flushed a second chance to take a major chunk out of Labour down the pan.

Focus on tory seats is misses the point that Labour are the party they need to beat. That is where the left leaning seats are held. The few gains from tories are swing seats from the right, the ones you win as a bonus.

Tactical voting and all that baggage is the preserve of permanently small and weak parties and political geeks. It is weak in the polling booth.

Stop the tories is a negative message. It is applicable in the real world in the same way as tactical voting.

Question is will Libdems get a third chance?
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244

Of the 203 Labour MPs, how many are Corbyn types and how many are moderates?
  • Options
    Good article. The defeat was so brutal, the rejection of Corbyn and all the baggage he has accumulated over the years so clear, that if Labour members once again ignore the message they’ve been given, the party will deserve to die.

I don’t think we’re close to a new, settled status quo in UK politics. The fight between English and Scottish nationalism is going to intensify, the Unionist grip on Northern Ireland is loosening and the Tories now have to work out how to deliver social democracy for their new heartlands while satisfying the bone dry economics of their right-wing membership and Parliamentary party. And then there’s coming to grips with the realities of Brexit!

This all adds up to a lot of turbulence and a hell of a lot of othering coming down the line.

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    Mr Herdson

interesting article, however I don't think the current battle line is Brexit. Its towns v cities, global v local. This is about those areas of the country who feel they have taken the hit on globalism trying to get back on their feet.

If the Tories can consolidate their gains we'll be looking at a new landscape.
  • Options
    Hold on. Sod Labour. When is the new Cabinet announced? Surely that will be the next big political event, unless I've missed Boris saying he will carry on with the old one.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    I was thinking that while Blair had a bigger majority, Boris arguably is in a more powerful position. Even from day 1 Blair had to contend with a Chancellor undermining him and building his own power base of MPs, while also never being truly trusted by the Trade Union wing. Meanwhile Boris has chucked out pretty much all of his biggest internal critics and has managed to get a bunch of his longstanding allies from London to the table.

If he and his team maintain discipline, they’ve got a chance to really shape the country in the way they want. The trouble is I’m not sure any of us know for sure yet what that’s going to look like.
  • Options

First, how bad was Jeremy Corbyn

Johnson had better ratings than Corbyn on the NHS. That's how bad Corbyn was.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Mr Herdson

interesting article, however I don't think the current battle line is Brexit. Its towns v cities, global v local. This is about those areas of the country who feel they have taken the hit on globalism trying to get back on their feet.

+100!

Totally agree - I read from UK Labour that the party overwhelmingly led the way with respect to social media posts and views. Similarly we all on here remember the excitement generated by the 'child on the floor' [Jennifer's ear? form the 90's] and Andrew Neil non-interview. Result: 80 seat majority. People enjoy social media like they used to love reading the papers. Entertainment is one thing - but when it comes to politics none of it means very much outside the bubble. I love politics - everyone I know really couldn't give a f***.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    LOL. We demand another 'lectorate.

https://twitter.com/nearlylegal/status/1205639362924482562

Laroop, of 'I went into a kettle and now they won't let me out' fame.
  • Options

Its towns v cities, global v local. This is about those areas of the country who feel they have taken the hit on globalism trying to get back on their feet.

Yep.

By fighting on the genius and simple slogan “Get Brexit Done,” he exposed the deep divides on the left, unified the right, and knocked his opponents for six (if you will forgive a cricket metaphor). But just as important, he moved the party sharply left on austerity, spending on public services, tax cuts for the working poor, and a higher minimum wage. He outflanked the far right on Brexit and shamelessly echoed the left on economic policy.

This is Trumpism without Trump. A conservative future without an ineffective and polarizing nutjob at the heart of it. Johnson now has a mandate to enact this new Tory alignment, and he will be far more competent than Trump at it. Unlike Trump, he will stop E.U. mass migration, and pass a new immigration system, based on the Australian model. Unlike Trump, he will focus tax cuts on the working poor, not the decadent rich.

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/12/andrew-sullivan-boris-johnsons-winning-formula.html
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,672
    edited December 2019

Hold on. Sod Labour. When is the new Cabinet announced? Surely that will be the next big political event, unless I've missed Boris saying he will carry on with the old one.

Reportedly minor tweaks (lower ranks) ahead of Brexit, big re-shuffle to follow.
  • Options

Good article. The defeat was so brutal, the rejection of Corbyn and all the baggage he has accumulated over the years so clear, that if Labour members once again ignore the message they’ve been given, the party will deserve to die.

I don’t think we’re close to a new, settled status quo in UK politics. The fight between English and Scottish nationalism is going to intensify, the Unionist grip on Northern Ireland is loosening and the Tories now have to work out how to deliver social democracy for their new heartlands while satisfying the bone dry economics of their right-wing membership and Parliamentary party. And then there’s coming to grips with the realities of Brexit!

This all adds up to a lot of turbulence and a hell of a lot of othering coming down the line.

As I have pointed ot before Brexit broke the old political settelement the new one has yet to emerge. But maybe we can see bits of it through the wreckage

- put our own voters first - homes, infrastructure, health
    - more spending but sensibly funded
    - big corporations must be good citizens and pay their taxes
    - the environment gets more attemtion

The debates will be on the details and where this is spent.
  • Options

40 new hospitals and 50,000 new nurses and the figures are already unravelling. I for one am holding my breath. Anyone else?

But that does not really answer the question. Put another way, what does the new leader need to be better at than Corbyn? If the answer is everything, or they could hardly be worse, then it does not matter who is the new leader.

On the other hand, maybe Labour supporters are like football fans calling for a new manager after a string of defeats but finding it makes no difference (cf LibDems, or Conservatives for 15 or so years).
  • Options

40 new hospitals and 50,000 new nurses and the figures are already unravelling. I for one am holding my breath. Anyone else?

But that does not really answer the question. Put another way, what does the new leader need to be better at than Corbyn? If the answer is everything, or they could hardly be worse, then it does not matter who is the new leader.

On the other hand, maybe Labour supporters are like football fans calling for a new manager after a string of defeats but finding it makes no difference (cf LibDems, or Conservatives for 15 or so years).
    Labours problem is its previous coalition of interests in now unstable. The people who Mandelson said had nowehere else to go have finally got pissed off being taken for granted and having their interests subsumed to mouthy middle class lefties. Labour now needs to find a way of reconciling the two or a new seam of voters to mine.

• Options

Its towns v cities, global v local. This is about those areas of the country who feel they have taken the hit on globalism trying to get back on their feet.

Yep.

By fighting on the genius and simple slogan “Get Brexit Done,” he exposed the deep divides on the left, unified the right, and knocked his opponents for six (if you will forgive a cricket metaphor). But just as important, he moved the party sharply left on austerity, spending on public services, tax cuts for the working poor, and a higher minimum wage. He outflanked the far right on Brexit and shamelessly echoed the left on economic policy.

This is Trumpism without Trump. A conservative future without an ineffective and polarizing nutjob at the heart of it. Johnson now has a mandate to enact this new Tory alignment, and he will be far more competent than Trump at it. Unlike Trump, he will stop E.U. mass migration, and pass a new immigration system, based on the Australian model. Unlike Trump, he will focus tax cuts on the working poor, not the decadent rich.

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/12/andrew-sullivan-boris-johnsons-winning-formula.html

That is the theory. Now for the delivery. If Johnson really is going to tack left he will need to take a right-wing party with him - at a time when the UK is facing significant economic headwinds. It will mean the Tories having to accept higher taxes and more borrowing over a sustained period and putting all dreams of Singapore-on-Thames to bed. It will also mean having to do an all-encompassing trade deal with the EU and keeping immigration levels high. We’ll see what happens!

• Options

As I have pointed ot before Brexit broke the old political settelement the new one has yet to emerge. But maybe we can see bits of it through the wreckage

- put our own voters first - homes, infrastructure, health
    - more spending but sensibly funded
    - big corporations must be good citizens and pay their taxes
    - the environment gets more attemtion

The debates will be on the details and where this is spent.
  • Options

Labours problem is its previous coalition of interests in now unstable. The people who Mandelson said had nowehere else to go have finally got pissed off being taken for granted and having their interests subsumed to mouthy middle class lefties. Labour now needs to find a way of reconciling the two or a new seam of voters to mine.
    It’s not unstable - it’s dead. Where is the common ground between young socially liberal graduate globalists who live in big cities and older socially conservative lower educated nationalists who live in the smaller cities and towns. They want different - frequently contradictory - things. Brexit brought it to a head - but the response to Brexit of the former has hardened the determination of the latter. And there are more of the latter, in the real world if not on Twitter.
  • Options

Yep.

That is the theory. Now for the delivery. If Johnson really is going to tack left he will need to take a right-wing party with him - at a time when the UK is facing significant economic headwinds. It will mean the Tories having to accept higher taxes and more borrowing over a sustained period and putting all dreams of Singapore-on-Thames to bed. It will also mean having to do an all-encompassing trade deal with the EU and keeping immigration levels high. We’ll see what happens!

Singapore on Thames (in so far as it ever existed) fell yesterday along with Labour’s Northern Red Wall. Boris has to deliver for the North and pronto.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060

Mr Herdson

Would you take English citizenship if the UK ceased to exist?
  • Options

Yep.

what if the vision is Switzerland rather than Singapore ?
  • Options

Mr Herdson

Would you take English citizenship if the UK ceased to exist?
    of course, I'd also take Scottish citizenship if indy ever happened and if I qualified through my grandfather.

I consider my children English though they all have dual citizenship.
  • Options

Yep.

That’s where the all-encompassing deal with the E.U. comes in.

• Options

Yep.

and yet you retain your own structures, can trade globally, don't have to lose your identity and more importantly your citizens are well off.
  • Options
    LOL

that would be Lee Anderson who used to be the head of the Ashfield Labour party and Gloria de Piero's election agent.

Why wasn't he expelled from Labour then ?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    edited December 2019

Yep.

Singapore on Thames (in so far as it ever existed) fell yesterday along with Labour’s Northern Red Wall. Boris has to deliver for the North and pronto.

I agree. Social democracy is a very European concept. If Johnson recognises that and persuades the Tories to accept it, then that will genuinely be a revolution. But it will mean, from a Tory perspective, some very tough choices. Are people like Raab, Javid, Patel, Rees Mogg, Truss and co really prepared for that? Who is in Johnson’s praetorian guard? Tacking left means there has to be a big, broad deal with the EU, further extensions and close ongoing alignment. It makes a WTO Brexit impossible.

• Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

LOL

that would be Lee Anderson who used to be the head of the Ashfield Labour party and Gloria de Piero's election agent.

Why wasn't he expelled from Labour then ?
    Most people, when they get things wildly wrong go quiet for a think. Here, it just seems to be starting gun for doubling down and writing the same stuff.
  • Options

Yep.

By fighting on the genius and simple slogan “Get Brexit Done,” he exposed the deep divides on trich.

I agree. Social democracy is a very European concept. If Johnson recognises that and persuades the Tories to accept it, then that will genuinely be a revolution. But it will mean, from a Tory perspective, some very tough choices. Are people like Raab, Javid, Patel, Rees Mogg, Truss and co really prepared for that? Who is in Johnson’s praetorian guard? Tacking left means there has to be a big, broad deal with the EU, further extensions and close ongoing alignment. It makes a WTO Brexit impossible.

your back to worrying about your wallet :smiley:
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,352
    The media should concentrate on anti Semitism within Labour, its not just getting rid of the Corbynites that matters.... Labour will be unelectable until it clears itself of the stench and comes up with a new Blairite type leader.
    BTW my stepson says the story of the child on the floor in A and E was true... was it? I thought it had been found to be fake???
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,980

Yep.

As the WTO now doesn’t exist (Trump hasn’t appointed / approved any judges so no cases can be heard) - aiming to remain close to the EU makes sense.
  • Options

Yep.

By fighting on the genius and simple slogan “Get Brexit Done,” he exposed the deep divides on trich.

your back to worrying about your wallet :smiley:

Eh?

• Options
    eek said:

Yep.

As the WTO now doesn’t exist (Trump hasn’t appointed / approved any judges so no cases can be heard) - aiming to remain close to the EU makes sense.
    It does still exist, its just toothless
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Sion Simon was right: Labour cannot be killed. London was ripe for an SNP style revolution. If it didn’t happen this time, then it’s never happening.
  • Options

Yep.

and yet you retain your own structures, can trade globally, don't have to lose your identity and more importantly your citizens are well off.

I’d be happy with Switzerland. But I’m not a low-tax, low regulation, low public spending Tory.

• Options
    tlg86 said:

Sion Simon was right: Labour cannot be killed. London was ripe for an SNP style revolution. If it didn’t happen this time, then it’s never happening.

Its on life support right now.
  • Options
    eek said:

Yep.

This is Trumpism without Trump. A conservative future without an ineffective andnot the decadent rich.

Of course it does. But good luck selling that to the Conservative Party. For the good of the country I hope it’s what Johnson does. But it will mean one hell of a fight for a man who does not like them.

• Options

Yep.

I’d be happy with Switzerland. But I’m not a low-tax, low regulation, low public spending Tory.

I suspect they are currently in the minority among the Tories.
  • Options

BTW my stepson says the story of the child on the floor in A and E was true... was it? I thought it had been found to be fake???

It was true. You must have been caught out by fake news, Russian trolls, or CCHQ muddying the waters. As an aside, the child's mother complained to OFCOM, or rather CCHQ did so on her behalf, in an attempt to suppress the story.

• Options

It was true. You must have been caught out by fake news, Russian trolls, or CCHQ muddying the waters. As an aside, the child's mother complained to OFCOM, or rather CCHQ did so on her behalf, in an attempt to suppress the story.

I think everyone was.. but its just the sort of dirty thing Labour would do. I was prepared to believe it was not true for that very reason.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990

Yep.

While Johnson of course needs support he also isn't a man who 'does' loyalty. I suggest that Raab, Patel etc will, before long, find themselves with a choice of going along with someone who has got them where they are and sticking to their 'principles'. As I posted yesterday, I suspect that Cummings is soon going to find himself sidelined; he won't be sacked, he'll be ignored and consequently take himself ff to mischief-pmake elsewhere.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    edited December 2019
    This is definitely correct, I blame the LibDems for starting it.

https://twitter.com/Pinboard/status/1205751680119083008
  • Options

I think everyone was.. but its just the sort of dirty thing Labour would do. I was prepared to believe it was not true for that very reason.
    This will, I fear, in time become the story of this election. Dirty tricks, doubtless from all sides, on social media and elsewhere. It is hard to refute your opponents' argument if you do not even know what that opponent is saying. We are also moving closer to America in that each side has its own facts and truth does not matter.
  • Options
    It was said at the time that those comments would not be a problem for him.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990

This will, I fear, in time become the story of this election. Dirty tricks, doubtless from all sides, on social media and elsewhere. It is hard to refute your opponents' argument if you do not even know what that opponent is saying. We are also moving closer to America in that each side has its own facts and truth does not matter.
    Wasn't the Referendum won by a combination of lies and social media 'facts'?
  • Options
    Here in the Lib Dems we don't know whether to laugh or cry at the election result. To increase our vote from 2.3m to 3.6m yet go backwards in seats at the same time seems quite brutal.

We'll lick our wounds until the leadership contest. There's not really much else to say until then.
  • Options

Its the media's job to call out the lies, but they are not very good at it or do not want to Suppose C4 news called out the Tories on something. C4 news is so left wing it must be breaking its charter on impartiality. I would not trust C4 news under any circumstances whatsoever.
  • Options

Yep.

That is the theory. Now for the delivery. If Johnson really is going to tack left he will needal with the EU and keeping immigration levels high. We’ll see what happens!

While Johnson of course needs support he also isn't a man who 'does' loyalty. I suggest that Raab, Patel etc will, before long, find themselves with a choice of going along with someone who has got them where they are and sticking to their 'principles'. As I posted yesterday, I suspect that Cummings is soon going to find himself sidelined; he won't be sacked, he'll be ignored and consequently take himself ff to mischief-pmake elsewhere.

If Johnson is going to re-engineer the Conservative party he needs a praetorian guard. He can’t do it on his own. I just don’t see any fellow travellers right now. They love Johnson because he won. Much as Labour once loved Blair. But it went wrong for Blair internally because he asked the party to leave its comfort zone. I am not sure Johnson is brave enough to do that. But if he is there will be one hell of a battle.

• Options

No it was lost by a bunch of smug people in a London bubble who didn't grasp they were selling a tarnished product to people they didn't understand using a crap ad campaign.

And then couldn't understand or accept they had lost.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,742
    edited December 2019

Here in the Lib Dems we don't know whether to laugh or cry at the election result. To increase our vote from 2.3m to 3.6m yet go backwards in seats at the same time seems quite brutal.

We'll lick our wounds until the leadership contest. There's not really much else to say until then.

Between now and the leadership contest think about where you are trying to win seats.

Go back to traditional Liberal heartlands in South West and/or Scotland?
    Build on the shifts of the last decade and become the main rival in the nicest cities in the country to live?

You need a different leader depending on which you choose. Doing both at the same time is over ambitious. You should be aware of what Labour is doing and not compete for the same seats.
  • Options

No it was lost by a bunch of smug people in a London bubble who didn't grasp they were selling a tarnished product to people they didn't understand using a crap ad campaign.

I like the brutal but clear way you put it. Certainly true of many, but not the whole truth.
  • Options

I like the brutal but clear way you put it. Certainly true of many, but not the whole truth.
    of course

the truth is more nuanced, in reality remain should have won but they threw it away by treating the electorate like idiots
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

I do remember in 2007 people were discussing the extinction of the Conservatives. Brown had a 10 point lead. Parties are quite resilient in this country.
  • Options
    edited December 2019

Good morning, everyone.

I do remember in 2007 people were discussing the extinction of the Conservatives. Brown had a 10 point lead. Parties are quite resilient in this country.

You have to wonder how a loser like Brown could a) become PM and then b) lead by 10%. The Tories really must have been bad at that stage...
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

You have to wonder how a loser like Brown could a) become PM and then b) lead by 10%. The Tories really must have been bad at that stage...
    pre GFC, we were borrowing like there was no tomorrow and all were dumm fat and happy. It was the "new" economy and boom and bust were dead.

Then they made a comeback
  • Options

Leeds A&E -- two false stories -- an analysis of how they spread on social media, with the aid of mainstream reporters including from the Sun, Telegraph and Mail, as well as Guido.

Fake news 1: pictures of an ill boy on the floor had themselves been faked
    Fake news 2: an aide to Health Secretary Matt Hancock was punched by a Labour mob

https://firstdraftnews.org/latest/how-two-disinformation-campaigns-swung-into-action-days-before-the-uk-goes-to-the-polls/
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

It was said at the time that those comments would not be a problem for him.
    Maybe not, but he wasn't sure of a majority at that point. Isn't it more of a problem for the Conservative Party brand?
    Say what you like about Farage - I always do - but he would throw them out and claim the high ground over it.
  • Options

This is definitely correct, I blame the LibDems for starting it.

https://twitter.com/Pinboard/status/1205751680119083008

Similar could be said about the use of Referenda.
  • Options

Leeds A&E -- two false stories -- an analysis of how they spread on social media, with the aid of mainstream reporters including from the Sun, Telegraph and Mail, as well as Guido.

Fake news 2: an aide to Health Secretary Matt Hancock was punched by a Labour mob

https://firstdraftnews.org/latest/how-two-disinformation-campaigns-swung-into-action-days-before-the-uk-goes-to-the-polls/
    yes yes it was the media wot won it.

not a shit leader, or mad policies or disenchanted core voters

what next the protocols of the elders of Zion ?
  • Options

Yep.

That's an optimistic interpretation, I hope you're right. Even better would be the ERG breaking off to form their own party.
  • Options

I my advice would be to avoid anyone who thinks a key issue outside the bubble is transgendered.
  • Options

WTF. It's over, move on.
  • Options

What annoyed me about that story is I didn't hear any more about it. I'd have genuinely been interested if the BBC or whoever had gone to the hospital and interview the parents and hospital staff to explain how it came to that situation.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,280

Mr Herdson

Putting it like that makes me think about the LibDems’ dilemma.

For if you had asked at any earlier stage in its history, the Liberals were clearly “towns” and “local”, appealing to areas of the country with individualistic histories and character, Devon & Cornwall, mid Wales, Scottish Highlands and Borders. Stretch the point and seats like the fens (isle of Ely) and Isle of Wight fit into a pattern, you could even add Bermondsey with its deck access blocks of council tenants in the shadow of the skyscrapers of London. Almost all you could describe as “left behind” areas, in both good and bad ways.

There’s a little of that left in the handful of seats that the LibDems have managed to retain. But in many more former Liberal strongholds, there is no sign of any residual appeal among the poorer residents of these rural areas. Its policies nowadays put more emphasis on issues of internationalism and identity, rather than community and devolution as used to be the focus.

In the LibDem era the party is trying to become the principal champion of “global” and “cities” (including their commuters). As is much of Labour, with the Tories giving up their hold on the educated middle aged in order to appeal to a broader range of pensioners.

In the LibDems’ case, there is no doubt that the merger with the SDP changed the character of the party, yet in the early years at least they did manage to hold on to most of the former Liberal base. Since the coalition that all seems to have gone.
  • Options

Or d, all of the above. Funny how all the parties spend so much time and money on adverts and social media campaigns if it does not make a difference.

Both main parties ran literally thousands of different micro-targeted adverts on Facebook. Not the same advert to thousands of people, but thousands of different adverts (often using different combinations of the same core components, of course).
  • Options

Yep.

I am and I believe it can help spread opportunities. I don't believe welfare traps assist people. Yes the Tories need to help the North but we are Tory because we believe right wing economics helps not despite believing left wing economics does.

Helping the North doesn't mean continuing the high tax policies that have failed it.
  • Options
    Hezza has surfaced. On Sky News now.
  • Options

Or d, all of the above. Funny how all the parties spend so much time and money on adverts and social media campaigns if it does not make a difference.

Both main parties ran literally thousands of different micro-targeted adverts on Facebook. Not the same advert to thousands of people, but thousands of different adverts (often using different combinations of the same core components, of course).
    The Labour party, according to them reached almost twice as many as the Tories - and they won barely 200 seats.
  • Options
    None of the parties should rush to a new direction. They can make working assumptions about broad components that will be in place at the next election, but those will need careful thought too.

The next election in Britain is likely to be fought at a time of continuing chronic economic underperformance, given the handicap Brexit will continue to place on Britain, Britain’s influence will have continued to vaporise, it having withdrawn from the first division of nations, and the country is likely to be still more divided, inward-looking and surly. The successful party is probably going to need to craft a positive message for people who have been let down yet again and who have lost all belief in promises. Getting that message is going to need careful thought.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    IanB2 said:

Mr Herdson

For if you had asked at any earlier stage in its history, the Liberals were clearly “towns” and “local”, appealing to areas of the country with individualistic histories and character, Devon & Cornwall, mid Wales, Scottish Highlands and Borders. Stretch the point and seats like the fens (isle of Ely) and Isle of Wight fit into a pattern, you could even add Bermondsey with its deck access blocks of council tenants in the shadow of the skyscrapers of London. Almost all you could describe as “left behind” areas, in both good and bad ways.

There’s a little of that left in the handful of seats that the LibDems have managed to retain. But in many more former Liberal strongholds, there is no sign of any residual appeal among the poorer residents of these rural areas. Its policies nowadays put more emphasis on issues of internationalism and identity, rather than community and devolution as used to be the focus.

In the LibDem era the party is trying to become the principal champion of “global” and “cities” (including their commuters). As is much of Labour, with the Tories giving up their hold on the educated middle aged in order to appeal to a broader range of pensioners.

In the LibDems’ case, there is no doubt that the merger with the SDP changed the character of the party, yet in the early years at least they did manage to hold on to most of the former Liberal base. Since the coalition that all seems to have gone.
    In this GE the Lib Dems just showed they had become a leaf letting cult. In Carshalton and Wallington which the Tories took off Tom Brake they delivered over 30 bits of literature. We are all very interested in how their election expenses are going to be shown. The old mantra on the doorstep of "Brake always gets in here" was replaced with "What do we have to do to get rid of Brake"?
    Sutton now has two Tory MPs where in 2015 it had two LD MPs . That's two heads off the hydra gone..now for the council.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    tlg86 said:

What annoyed me about that story is I didn't hear any more about it. I'd have genuinely been interested if the BBC or whoever had gone to the hospital and interview the parents and hospital staff to explain how it came to that situation.
    and what about the "news item".. about Boris avoiding an interview with Andrew Neil... on the BBC that had n zillion views that Mr Smithson put up saying it was important (IIRC) and supposedly was going to affect voting.. of course it did no such thing.
  • Options
    felix said:

The Labour party, according to them reached almost twice as many as the Tories - and they won barely 200 seats.
    And so what? All that suggests is that the Sunday papers will be full of articles detailing the genius of CCHQ's New Zealand social media and Australian campaign teams. No-one is saying this is all that matters. Some are saying it does not matter, and they are clearly wrong.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,232
    IanB2 said:

Mr Herdson

There’s a little of that left in the handful of seats that the LibDems have managed to retain. But in many more former Liberal strongholds, there is no sign of any residual appeal among the poorer residents of these rural areas. Its policies nowadays put more emphasis on issues of internationalism and identity, rather than community and devolution as used to be the focus....there is no doubt that the merger with the SDP changed the character of the party, yet in the early years at least they did manage to hold on to most of the former Liberal base. Since the coalition that all seems to have gone.
    The decline of chapel going is probably also a factor. There are very few Nonconformist chapels left outside towns of any size, and they were for literally centuries the hub of Liberal activity.

But it probably doesn’t help that the Tories have become the ‘local’ party outside the big metropolitan areas, which fits with their increasing focus on English (in particular) matters rather than the multilateral structures that appeal to Labour and the Liberal Democrats.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

and what about the "news item".. about Boris avoiding an interview with Andrew Neil... on the BBC that had n zillion views that Mr Smithson put up saying it was important (IIRC) and supposedly was going to affect voting.. of course it did no such thing.
    Boris avoiding interviews may well have been important. Boris thought so, which means CCHQ thought so. If you are saying there is no single factor that proved decisive, you are no doubt right, but that is not to say that multiple factors made no difference.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Boris avoiding interviews may well have been important. Boris thought so, which means CCHQ thought so. If you are saying there is no single factor that proved decisive, you are no doubt right, but that is not to say that multiple factors made no difference.
    It had little if any effect on how people voted imho. Hey , people might have even thought it was a smart move! Who really knows..
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    edited December 2019
    I think the brutal truth is that many the Northern Labour voters stopped believing the party was telling the truth in their manifesto. Having just seen their party lie about honouring the referendum result, there was no more reason to believe they meant what they said when they offered the moon on a stick. They did like some of the manifesto, but no longer believed Labour would honour it

All the rest was irrelevant. BoJo needn't have bothered putting out a manifesto. I spoke to one of the WASPI woman on Thursday night, and although she had gone to the trouble of calculating how much she'd get, she still voted Tory. "I'd never have been given it, would I?"

Edit: As Kinnock Jr said last night "We tried to triangulate a binary issue."
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,622
    How did the LDs fail to win Sheffield Hallam? One of the mysteries of the election.
  • Options
    Mr. Root, hard to say, but reportedly Swinson did rather well in her Neil interview. Didn't do her much good.
  • Options
    Astonishing interview with Neil Findlay, Labour MSP for Lothian. Among other notable statements:

- sovereignty lies with the Scottish people
    - stopping Scottish independence is like “trying to stop a tsunami with a sieve”
    - SLab are open to discussing the merits of independence
    - and the real show-stopper: Richard Leonard is going to continue as leader until the May 2021 GE!!!!

Have they lost the plot? Richard Leonard?? As candidate to be FM??? Puhrleeeeze.

(BBC Good Morning Scotland, 10 minutes ago.)
  • Options

tlg86 said:

This always happens. Before the election it's all "Boris is scared, not doing the interview, this will cost him the election." Then after he wins it's all "he won because he avoided scrutiny, it's not fair", etc. etc.

I think very little affects how people vote. The 2017 GE was different in that it came out of the blue and people hadn't really thought much about Theresa May, and probably hadn't thought much about Corbyn.

This time, people had had two and half years of Brexit battles and Labour AS. People had made up their minds long before Thursday. You cannot fatten a pig on market day.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,232

Astonishing interview with Neil Findlay, Labour MSP for Lothian. Among other notable statements...Richard Leonard is going to continue as leader until the May 2021 GE!!!!

Have they lost the plot? Richard Leonard?? As candidate to be FM??? Puhrleeeeze.

(BBC Good Morning Scotland, 10 minutes ago.)

Well, we are talking about a party that stuck with a man who was patently not the Jezziah...
  • Options
    edited December 2019

I think that there is reflection to do perhaps. My impressions as an occasional LD voter in the past.

I am in the North end of Ashfield, and in most of my local seats the story is that the Labour vote fell by 15-25% and went elsewhere, rather than mainly upward growth in the Tories. In terms of totals, in Ashfield it went to Zadrozny mainly - Tory vote down 2.4%. In Bolsover it went to BXP and Tory. In Mansfield where the MP is a community focused Tory, who I think has done a Davey Kingston 1992-1997, it went to him (+17%).

The drivers were Brexit and especially revulsion for Corbyn, which I saw everywhere just by asking for opinions. He was specifically disowned by Lab canvassers even. Suspect here it was his useful-idiot-for-terrorists record, and incredulity at his fantasy economics, rather than antisemitism. It is a military area, and many have family or friends or schoolfriends who have been IRA targets or victims; the history of Jezza supping with the IRA in Parliament does not encourage.

I think Swinson's inexperience was a problem. Being polite, a key traditional Lib Dem skill was to be able to say entirely different things to different people, by change of emphasis. If the fundamentalist remainer position adopted by Farron was partly tactical, Swinson baked that into a dogma and went out of her way to pour scorn and abuse on those who took a different view.

How on earth was she allowed to do a Chris Patten 1992 (tbf she had a bigger majority before but you know the SNP)?

Go back and read her leadership acceptance and conference speeches. The hapless misunderstanding of the other is visible there under the honeyed inclusive claims.

In my view the effect of that is that you have ploughed salt into your future target fields for growing new voters across half the country; not clever and you are going to have to think carefully where you sew.

The only Lib Dem Councillors left standing within 10 miles and more of my desk are those that rebranded themselves Ashfield Independents. The rest have gone; all of them. I think the nearest (look at a map) are Beeston, Newark, Tupton, and I think Clowne.

My current resolution, having been a LD voter occasionally, is not to touch you with a barge pole due to the monomaniacal Remaniac stance. It may change, but not any time soon.

Suspect that I may for the first time ever join a PP, which may be the Tories to argue for attention for this area. But I would far prefer Zadrozny as our local MP, for whom I voted.

I am commenting because I really do want a non-socialist centre-left party in our politics, and hope that socialism gets buried for good.

• Options

Mr. Root, hard to say, but reportedly Swinson did rather well in her Neil interview. Didn't do her much good.

Whether it helped or harmed Jo Swinson, it is hardly encouraging for British democracy that its leaders actively evade being questioned. Or that their parties spew out misleading or sometimes even downright false statements.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

Good morning, everyone.

In September this year people were talking about Conservative extinction. The desire for “hot takes” means that thought, nuance or any knowledge of history is irrelevant. The triumph of “now” (and the hope that of you make enough predictions then some will stick - see also here).
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    If anyone still hasn't had their fill of political betting....

Betfred 4/11 no indyref2 before end 2020. That's a winner to me after Boris's phone call with Nicola last night.

If you want insurance, Paddys are 10/1 indyref2 does take place in 2020. That's a more realistic price imo but DYOR.
  • Options

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Well, the Conservatives’ wholly undeserved success was dismal last night and the triumphalism of their supporters tonight is still less edifying. Enjoy your moment. Meanwhile, the country is going up shit creek.

We won, you didn't.

It's SO satisfying
    That warm feeling you have is from having pissed yourself.
    Chill out and grow up and accept defeat like an adult.
    Sean telling other folk to “grow up”!?!

About as much self-insight as Jo Swinson.
    I'm looking forward to SeanT putting on his big girl's pants and accepting losing a grand to William Glenn like an adult. I think one of the wee Tory boys on here was proposing that the handing over of the filthy lucre should be filmed, though that was very much based on the expectation of it travelling in the opposite direction. The moment should definitely be recorded for posterity.
    I’ll fly to London to witness victorious Glenn receiving his cash. Be nice to get a close-up look at the defeated “male model” after several decades of substance abuse, sleep deprivation and VD.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,973

Its the media's job to call out the lies, but they are not very good at it or do not want to Suppose C4 news called out the Tories on something. C4 news is so left wing it must be breaking its charter on impartiality. I would not trust C4 news under any circumstances whatsoever.
    You prefer the lies of the likes of the mail and Express or the state propaganda unit I presume
  • Options

None of the parties should rush to a new direction. They can make working assumptions about broad components that will be in place at the next election, but those will need careful thought too.

The next election in Britain is likely to be fought at a time of continuing chronic economic underperformance, gBritain, Britain’s influence will have continued to vaporise, it having withdrawn from the first division of nations, and the country is likely to be still more divided, inward-looking and surly. The successful party is probably going to need to craft a positive message for people who have been let down yet again and who have lost all belief in promises. Getting that message is going to need careful thought.

Time maybe you moved on from assuming

felix said:

And so what? All that suggests is that the Sunday papers will be full of articles detailing the genius of CCHQ's New Zealand social media and Australian campaign teams. No-one is saying this is all that matters. Some are saying it does not matter, and they are clearly wrong.
    Gi-Go
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Mr Herdson

There’s a little of that left in the handful of seats that the LibDems have managed to retain. But in many more former Liberal strongholds, there is no sign of any residual appeal among the poorer residents of these rural areas. Its policies nowadays put more emphasis on issues of internationalism and identity, rather than community and devolution as used to be the focus....there is no doubt that the merger with the SDP changed the character of the party, yet in the early years at least they did manage to hold on to most of the former Liberal base. Since the coalition that all seems to have gone.
    The decline of chapel going is probably also a factor. There are very few Nonconformist chapels left outside towns of any size, and they were for literally centuries the hub of Liberal activity.

But it probably doesn’t help that the Tories have become the ‘local’ party outside the big metropolitan areas, which fits with their increasing focus on English (in particular) matters rather than the multilateral structures that appeal to Labour and the Liberal Democrats.
    Yes. Which makes me think about the source of social progress. Liberals and then Labour (both of whom cling to the 'progressive' label) see themselves as having driven political and social change against the reactionary force of Conservatism. Back in the day the Methodist chapels that you describe were a strong source of pressure for change, one that was eventually overtaken by trade unions and the working class movement.

A liberal party needs to be, and always has been, at the leading edge of social change - which in the 21st Century clearly isn't going to be the rural South West. Clegg had it right in putting forward and agenda for younger people in a globalised age, and you could argue that Cleggmania was the first stirrings of what morphed into Corbymania. If Clegg had understood the new base he was building, he would have realised what a catastrophic mistake tuition fees would prove to be. Nevertheless the influx of young people into the party during the Brexit fiasco indicates that the potential is still there.

So long as social and economic progress is driven along by the educated and technologically adept young, that's where a liberal party needs to be. They should be (and should have been) leading the push back against generational inequality and harnessing the youthquake that Corbyn has been reaching for.

That isn't a constituency that any socialist party can harness to the working class and ethnic minorities. Labour needs to work out what sort of party it wants to be in the modern age.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

This always happens. Before the election it's all "Boris is scared, not doing the interview, this will cost him the election." Then after he wins it's all "he won because he avoided scrutiny, it's not fair", etc. etc.

I think very little affects how people vote. The 2017 GE was different in that it came out of the blue and people hadn't really thought much about Theresa May, and probably hadn't thought much about Corbyn.

This time, people had had two and half years of Brexit battles and Labour AS. People had made up their minds long before Thursday. You cannot fatten a pig on market day.
    hmm.... I voted LD in the Euro's and I had made my mind up to vote Tory at the GE (the pig fattened or otherwise would have won for the Tories in Arundel and S Downs). but I changed my mind on the day because I am a remainer), in fact almost as I went into the booth, held my nose and voted LD. . OTOH, if Nick Herbert had been my MP I would still have voted for him as he is a good guy.
  • Options
    Mr. JohnL, I agree, and I criticised him for ducking the interview.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Hezza has surfaced. On Sky News now.

And on Radio 4. He seems to be hoping that he has finally got the sort of Victorian industrialist Tory party that he has always wanted. After having just been campaigning for the LibDems.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

The Yorkshire Post did a detailed rebuttal.

if you won't read the newspapers from the centre of the world.... ;-)
This discussion has been closed.