Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Rishi Sunak – tipped here for next PM when he was 200/1 now 25

Comments

• He [Tom Watson] said at one point police told him that a Labour supporter had been arrested for making a death threat via the party that Labour officials did not inform him about.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

According to Twitter (so caveat emptor) Iain Duncan Smith is being awarded a knighthood.

When is it all announced?
    Tonight apparently.
    Thanks is there a govt website or crown one whereon it's listed?
    It'll be on the main gov.uk site like so.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/new-years-honours-list-2019
    Thanks
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

You can still get 33/1 on him on Ladbrokes.

Whenever I’ve heard him he has not particularly impressed me. A bit of an automaton in the way he speaks. And, groan, another ex-GS alumni. Bad enough having an ex-DB banker as Chancellor. The amount of damage those two firms have caused ........

What we need is more lawyers in government.
    There is no space-time continuum that would be improved by having Richard Burgon in government.

I think @TheScreamingEagles meant to say that we need more good lawyers in government.
    Yes but in my defence there are so few bad lawyers in the world. Ahem.
    It's the other way around. A few really good / excellent lawyers. A reasonable number of competent - if unimaginative - ones.
    Lots of plodding ones and some absolute shockers.

The Venn diagram of intelligent lawyers and lawyers with common-sense has a surprisingly small intersection.
  • QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    isam said:

I see @viewcode is compiling a list of things that happened to people who comment on here in 2019. Well, my first child, a son, was born on November 1st. Leading up to the big day I had thought it would be a happy coincidence if we left the EU at 11pm on October 31st, as the government had said we would, making him one of the first British children to be born a non EU citizen for forty odd years... but it wasn't to be.

It's not that detail that keeps me up at night though! :)

Condolences to all those on the list who had sad news this year.

Congrats on the newborn isam.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,956
    edited December 2019
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

Whenever I’ve heard him he has not particularly impressed me. A bit of an automaton in the way he speaks. And, groan, another ex-GS alumni. Bad enough having an ex-DB banker as Chancellor. The amount of damage those two firms have caused ........

There is no space-time continuum that would be improved by having Richard Burgon in government.

I think @TheScreamingEagles meant to say that we need more good lawyers in government.
    It's the other way around. A few really good / excellent lawyers. A reasonable number of competent - if unimaginative - ones.

The Venn diagram of intelligent lawyers and lawyers with common-sense has a surprisingly small intersection.
    You sound like one of my tutors.

'The law and justice are not the same thing.'
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    edited December 2019
    kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

According to Twitter (so caveat emptor) Iain Duncan Smith is being awarded a knighthood.

Tonight apparently.

Sir Alastair Cook!
    Sir John Redwood MP
  • MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,410
    HYUFD said:

Fair reward for his leadership of the party, his social justice campaigns and holding Chingford and Woodford Green against the Momentum onslaught. Well done Sir Iain
    You really are a lickspittle.
  • Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Tonight apparently.

Sir Alastair Cook!
    That was last year?
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 595
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

I’ve actually got an explanation for how Richard Burgon was accepted into St John’s.

My friend’s brother was also at St John’s at the same time as Burgon and that Burgon was very good at English literature but he was a proper lefty (his uncle was a Labour MP) and that Burgon engaged in some shocking logic defying positions to support a left wing agenda, which has become worse with age.

He may have done it to impress a lady as well but he ended up as Chairman of CULC.

So the issue isn’t Cambridge letting in a duffer but the law firms that hired Burgon.
    Didn't Nick Griffin go to Cambridge?
    He did, which is a shame as Cambridge is well known and well honoured for producing alumni who fight against fascism.

https://nyti.ms/2Q0slra
    That’s an extremely generous interpretation of their position.

Almost as generous as a review that gives The Last Jedi one star out of five rather than a minus number.
    I think you mean Cats rather than The Last Jedi
    Wouldn’t know, haven’t seen cats. Well, other than my two, obviously.
    It currently has a 17% favourable rating on Rotten Tomatoes
    Blimey. It must be very nearly as bad as Solo then.
    Solo has a 70% rating, which tells you how bad the Cats film is to get just 17%

"Solo" is decent enough but ended up bearing the brunt of "The Last Jedi" backlash by being released just five months later.
  • ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

I’ve actually got an explanation for how Richard Burgon was accepted into St John’s.

My friend’s brother was also at St John’s at the same time as Burgon and that Burgon was very good at English literature but he was a proper lefty (his uncle was a Labour MP) and that Burgon engaged in some shocking logic defying positions to support a left wing agenda, which has become worse with age.

He may have done it to impress a lady as well but he ended up as Chairman of CULC.

So the issue isn’t Cambridge letting in a duffer but the law firms that hired Burgon.
    Didn't Nick Griffin go to Cambridge?
    He did, which is a shame as Cambridge is well known and well honoured for producing alumni who fight against fascism.

https://nyti.ms/2Q0slra
    That’s an extremely generous interpretation of their position.

Almost as generous as a review that gives The Last Jedi one star out of five rather than a minus number.
    I think you mean Cats rather than The Last Jedi
    Wouldn’t know, haven’t seen cats. Well, other than my two, obviously.
    It currently has a 17% favourable rating on Rotten Tomatoes
    Blimey. It must be very nearly as bad as Solo then.
    The Room (Tommy Wiseau version) has a 30% rating.
  • nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453

So that Guardian front page does confirm a knighthood for IDS.

Good.
  • So Boris Johnson can find the time to award Iain Duncan Smith a knighthood but not Ken Clarke a peerage nor a knighthood.

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Tonight apparently.

Sir Alastair Cook!
    That was last year?
    Damn. That link is to last year’s bloody honours list!
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,729

He [Tom Watson] said at one point police told him that a Labour supporter had been arrested for making a death threat via the party that Labour officials did not inform him about.

So why did Watson not have the balls to defect with the others?

Because he prized his position in the hierarchy above his integrity or even apparently his personal safety.

What a chump.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392

So Boris Johnson can find the time to award Iain Duncan Smith a knighthood but not Ken Clarke a peerage nor a knighthood.

I'm amazed he restrained himself from awarding himself a knighthood.
    TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Doesn’t harm that he’s filthy rich, though.
    A filthy rich ex-GS banker will have such an understanding of the issues for people living in towns like Millom and Workington and Barrow, won’t he?

You can’t make sensible public policy just by looking at a spreadsheet.
    All of which more or less you could have said, and many did, about Boris. We've moved on from there I think.
    Well no. Boris has not worked in the City. I doubt he does anything by spreadsheet and he does have a way of communicating with people outside his inner circle which Sunak has shown precious little evidence of. So far.

Whatever makes Boris special - and I am largely immune to his charms but am not his target audience - we should not assume that it will transfer itself to other Tories.

I have a long shot (very long shot) idea of who might be worth looking at. But you will need to wait for my next header or one after to find out.

Brain working v slowly atm inbetween sleeps and dosage. Hence non-appearance of headers.
  • ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    ydoethur said:

He [Tom Watson] said at one point police told him that a Labour supporter had been arrested for making a death threat via the party that Labour officials did not inform him about.

Because he prized his position in the hierarchy above his integrity or even apparently his personal safety.

What a chump.
    I read an article that stated that if Watson had left to join the TIG's 80 other Labour MPs would have gone as well.
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,979
    Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Tonight apparently.

Sir Alastair Cook!
    Sir John Redwood MP
    Dame Twiggy

There are 1,150 of them!

ydoethur said:

What a chump.
    I read an article that stated that if Watson had left to join the TIG's 80 other Labour MPs would have gone as well.
    In which case we might have been looking at a genuine realignment.

Although you take such claims with a pinch of salt, of course,
    isam said:

I see @viewcode is compiling a list of things that happened to people who comment on here in 2019. Well, my first child, a son, was born on November 1st. Leading up to the big day I had thought it would be a happy coincidence if we left the EU at 11pm on October 31st, as the government had said we would, making him one of the first British children to be born a non EU citizen for forty odd years... but it wasn't to be.

Oh what lovely news! Many congratulations!
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,909
    edited December 2019
    ydoethur said:

What a chump.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7513607/How-Tom-Watson-pressured-Met-pursue-false-rape-allegations-against-Leon-Brittan.html

The damning Leon Brittan files: After the former Home Secretary was hounded by police on his death bed, we reveal how Tom Watson pressured the Met to pursue false rape allegations - despite his accuser being a known liar and Labour activist.
    Barnesian said:

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Tonight apparently.

Sir Alastair Cook!
    Sir John Redwood MP
    Dame Twiggy

There are 1,150 of them!
    Indeed there were. Last year. :(
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,979
    Sandpit said:

Barnesian said:

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Tonight apparently.

Sir Alastair Cook!
    Sir John Redwood MP
    Dame Twiggy

There are 1,150 of them!
    Indeed there were. Last year. :(
    Right :(
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,557

I don’t blame him for giving up, but rather for clinging on for so long for no benefit whatsoever.

ydoethur said:

What a chump.
    There were several comments to that effect. He’s the one person who, if they’d gone, would have split the Parliamentary party in half. He could have been LotO if he’d got 120 MPs to join with him.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,708

So Boris Johnson can find the time to award Iain Duncan Smith a knighthood but not Ken Clarke a peerage nor a knighthood.

Ken Clarke would now be more likely to be a LD peer than a Tory peer
    Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

What a chump.
    There were several comments to that effect. He’s the one person who, if they’d gone, would have split the Parliamentary party in half. He could have been LotO if he’d got 120 MPs to join with him.
    He believed in the brand more than anything else. So long as he can admit that, fine, but it's not much use saying how dreadful it was when he gave up the fight, but conveniently only after convincing others to keep going in the fight.

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

You sound like one of my tutors.

'The law and justice are not the same thing.'
    I am quite sure I could teach you a thing or two ........

😏
    Nigelb said:

I don’t blame him for giving up, but rather for clinging on for so long for no benefit whatsoever.
    This. That he was staying to fight made sense, even if many outside Labour felt he should not. But he just worked to prevent a deeper split then buggered off, so what was even the point?
    TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Doesn’t harm that he’s filthy rich, though.
    A filthy rich ex-GS banker will have such an understanding of the issues for people living in towns like Millom and Workington and Barrow, won’t he?

You can’t make sensible public policy just by looking at a spreadsheet.
    All of which more or less you could have said, and many did, about Boris. We've moved on from there I think.
    Despite several goes, Boris never had the political problem of a father in law numbered among the world’s richest men...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N._R._Narayana_Murthy
  • HYUFD said:

Fair reward for his leadership of the party, his social justice campaigns and holding Chingford and Woodford Green against the Momentum onslaught. Well done Sir Iain
    'his social justice campaigns'

There's an outside chance HYUFD may be the deepest of deep cover ironists.

HYUFD said:

@HYUFD conveniently forgets IDS's serial disloyalty to two Prime Ministers and the problems with Universal Credit.
    Congratulations isam !
    Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

@HYUFD conveniently forgets IDS's serial disloyalty to two Prime Ministers and the problems with Universal Credit.
    Political knighthoods are often reserved for complete duffers, so I can’t get much worked up about it.
    I assume the official honours list will be published tonight on the Cabinet Office site. https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/cabinet-office
    Obviously the newspapers have already seen embargoed copies.
  • JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,211
    If Ken Clarke gets a peerage, it will be via the Dissolution Honours.

Like my Dukedom.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,042
    Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

My understanding is that the issues with UC were not due to the system itself, but the fact that Osborne chose to coincide it with big cuts to welfare.
  • JohnO said:

Like my Dukedom.

Hope you put in a good word for my GCMG.

But if Dave didn't give me a GCMG I've got no hope from Boris Johnson have I?

JohnO said:

Like my Dukedom.

I fear the extent your naughtiness has been such that even intervention from me will be fruitless.
  • JohnO said:

JohnO said:

Like my Dukedom.

I fear the extent your naughtiness has been such that even intervention from me will be fruitless.
    Bugger.

Never mind, I shall treat you to lunch in the new year though.

JohnO said:

JohnO said:

Like my Dukedom.

Bugger.

The road to rehabilitation and restitution begins here. Nothing is too good for the working classes....and their representatives.
    JohnO said:

JohnO said:

Like my Dukedom.

Nothing a few grovelling paeans to Boris during the next TSE editorship could not solve. Damn integrity though :)
  • JohnO said:

JohnO said:

JohnO said:

Like my Dukedom.

Bugger.

The road to rehabilitation and restitution begins here. Nothing is too good for the working classes....and their representatives.
    I have to spend four whole days in London for work in March, I'm sure I can find a suitable eatery that meets our exacting standards.
  • kle4 said:

JohnO said:

JohnO said:

Like my Dukedom.

Nothing a few grovelling paeans to Boris during the next TSE editorship could not solve. Damn integrity though :)
    There's a piece that's about 40% written that compares a Boris Johnson Premiership to getting a prostate exam from a leper who walks away with four fingers.
    Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

John Major has been disloyal to Boris and in retrospect IDS was right to oppose Maastricht and also the lack of proper funding for universal credit from Cameron and Osborne, even so unemployment is half the level Labour left in 2010
    HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

John Major has been disloyal to Boris and in retrospect IDS was right to oppose Maastricht and also the lack of proper funding for universal credit from Cameron and Osborne, even so unemployment is half the level Labour left in 2010
    Sir John Major has not been an MP for more than 18 years.
    edited December 2019
    HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

You really are nothing more than a party mouthpiece these days.
  • Wolves 3 Man City 2 89 mins
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,050
    Hurrah for Wolves...
  • Wolves 3 Man City 2 89 mins

Squeaky bum time for those who followed you in.
  • JBriskinindyref2JBriskinindyref2 Posts: 1,775
    edited December 2019

Wolves 3 Man City 2 89 mins

Squeaky bum time for those who followed you in.
    I wasn t the star tipster
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

I correctly predicted Boris would be Tory leader and I correctly predicted Boris would win a Tory majority, if that makes me a party mouthpiece so be it
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

He is still a former Conservative PM criticising the current one
  • Full time - I ve forgot who tipped at 75/1 but well done sir
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

PMs are supposed to be immune from party criticism?
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

I correctly predicted Boris would be Tory leader and I correctly predicted Boris would win a Tory majority, if that makes me a party mouthpiece so be it
    It's possible to be one without the other.
  • StockyStocky Posts: 9,653

Full time - I ve forgot who tipped at 75/1 but well done sir

Twas I.

£10 at 75/1. Also had a fiver on Wolves to win at 8.2. Tipped them both up here. Hope others backed it.

My longest-priced winner ever.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880

Seems quite relevant, though an old tweet:
    https://twitter.com/simongerman600/status/1097468280669917184

One of the questions at my Admiralty Board in 1988 was "Where do you think the next major conflict will start?". I answered at random, "the Spratly Islands" because I'd read about them the week before in the Times and it was the first thing that came into my head. Perhaps, I'll eventually be right!

If I had answered 'Kuwait' or 'Yugoslavia' (the two most accurate answers) they would have probably told me to fuck off.
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Form their predecessors from their own party in public yes, John Major had respected that principle until now
  • Stocky said:

Full time - I ve forgot who tipped at 75/1 but well done sir

Twas I.

£10 at 75/1. Also had a fiver on Wolves to win at 8.2. Tipped them both up here. Hope others backed it.

My longest-priced winner ever.
    Well done - I had a fiver on Man City ftr
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,592

JohnO said:

Like my Dukedom.

Why would you want a God Calls Me God?
  • BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Floater said:
    or Tom Watson, tried to hand on to all the power he could, but left when he realised his own seat was going to go to the conservatives he quit, to claim and decided it would look better to claim it was a principled position, not just that he had run out of track?
    Byronic said:

HYUFD is a worthy commenter, with much insight, who is seldom as rude to his detractors, as they are to him.

Thankyou Byronic
  • BigRich said:

Floater said:
    or Tom Watson, tried to hand on to all the power he could, but left when he realised his own seat was going to go to the conservatives he quit, to claim and decided it would look better to claim it was a principled position, not just that he had run out of track?
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7513607/How-Tom-Watson-pressured-Met-pursue-false-rape-allegations-against-Leon-Brittan.html

The damning Leon Brittan files: After the former Home Secretary was hounded by police on his death bed, we reveal how Tom Watson pressured the Met to pursue false rape allegations - despite his accuser being a known liar and Labour activist.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,080
    Jolyon going global ... featured on BBC World Service News bulletin.

:smiley:
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

The problems created by osbourne removing the funding IDS said was and is required
  • OT Tee hee: The Mayor Pete campaign is trying to come up with ways to get people to send them smaller donations

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/4agdwg/pete-buttigieg-would-really-like-you-to-forget-about-that-wine-cave?__twitter_impression=true
    eek said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

The problems created by osbourne removing the funding IDS said was and is required
    OK. So Osborne is also to blame.

So you design a system which only works if £X amount is spent. You are not given £X but a smaller sum which will cause problems for some of the poorest in the country?

You can either carry on implementing a system with inadequate money while knowing of the problems. Or you can resign.

Which choice did IDS make?
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,080
    edited December 2019
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

What a chump.
    In which case we might have been looking at a genuine realignment.

Although you take such claims with a pinch of salt, of course,
    I much admire Tom W for his work in the online openness space, but I am not really sure about the polo neck.

https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/2019/dec/27/tom-watson-i-quit-because-of-labour-brutality
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

For services to killing poor people?

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

My understanding is that the issues with UC were not due to the system itself, but the fact that Osborne chose to coincide it with big cuts to welfare.
    The UC system is fucked by design. If you get paid early in a month (say for instance December) the UC system sees that as an increase in your pay and so automatically cuts your UC payment for that month.
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Form their predecessors from their own party in public yes, John Major had respected that principle until now
    Is this one of these new "constitutional principles" which has been invented JR-M style?

Have you forgotten Heath criticising Mrs T?

Or even MacMillan doing so very publicly in the House of Lords?

Or Mrs T criticising the policies of her predecessors?

And letting her criticisms of John Major be known?

Yes - it appears you have.
    Hurrah for Wolves...
    Alistair said:

Surely these baubles have been so degraded now that only the most debased still crave their precious?
    Byronic said:

HYUFD is a worthy commenter, with much insight, who is seldom as rude to his detractors, as they are to him.

Well said - though I would have substituted "seldom" with "never".
    Foxy said:

Hurrah for Wolves...

Alistair said:

Surely these baubles have been so degraded now that only the most debased still crave their precious?
    They have. No-one would care, were it not for the fact that in some cases it gives these debased boobies the right to legislate for us.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,230
    isam said:

Congratulations, @isam, happy news! Please tell me you called him @himsam .... :)
    Byronic said:

Civility is an overrated virtue when you are speaking to someone who will never, ever admit to be wrong on even the smallest point of fact.
  • Stocky said:

Byronic said:

Well said - though I would have substituted "seldom" with "never".
    HYUFD and I have had many disagreements, despite both being members of the conservative party, but I agree totally with these sentiments
  • Alistair said:

Byronic said:

Civility is an overrated virtue when you are speaking to someone who will never, ever admit to be wrong on even the smallest point of fact.
    There are quite a few on this forum in that category to be fair
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

No, that is not what makes you a mouthpiece. You are often a commenter of some insight, which is why I bother tweaking your tail from time to time.
    It is your slavish and incessant regurgitation of whatever the current party line of the day happens to be that bothers me.
    viewcode said:

isam said:

Congratulations, @isam, happy news! Please tell me you called him @himsam .... :)
    My significant event in 2019, if you`re interested, was a spinal cord injury (skiing) in Feb which left me in Grenoble hospital for a week and then having to wear a top-of-head-to-chest neck brace for two months. Was looking at disablement for a while - a dark time - I couldn`t lift either hand above my head. Couldn`t dress or shower myself.

With physio help (not NHS - they were shit) my recovery has been remarkable.

Mobility fully regained, in gym twice a week and I went skiing again last week.

• kjhkjh Posts: 10,456
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

First post for a while

I'm confused by that response HYUFD. What has predicting a result got to do with who you support? How did your response have anything to do with the point being made?

Does that mean that when you predict an opponent winning you will change sides? Unless it does the post does not make any logical sense.
  • viewcode said:

isam said:

My main event, if it counts, is that my mum won Redbridge in Bloom for her front garden.

viewcode said:

isam said:

My main event, if it counts, is that my mum won Redbridge in Bloom for her front garden.
    Fox Jr is now earning, and off my hands financially this year. Mixed feelings at the end of an era...
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,592

Alistair said:

Byronic said:

There are quite a few on this forum in that category to be fair
    So civility is to be abandoned in the face of -

1) Religion
    2) Nationalism
    3) Personal fundamental convictions

When exactly *should* we apply civility?

I would suggest that the more rigid the beliefs, the more civility is required.
  • Hope everyone has had a good Christmas, I've been off the site primarily playing lego and jigsaws with my children. Spent Christmas evening building my 3 year old's Lego Toy Story 4 sets only to wake up Boxing Day morning to find she'd taken it apart back to its pieces. Feels rather akin actually to arguing politics online ;)

Nice to see my tip was value and has been followed and surprised and honoured to log on tonight to see OGH mentioning it like this.

Oh and great to see Wolves beat City. 14 points and a game in hand - wow!

Hope everyone has had a good Christmas, I've been off the site primarily playing lego and jigsaws with my children. Spent Christmas evening building my 3 year old's Lego Toy Story 4 sets only to wake up Boxing Day morning to find she'd taken it apart back to its pieces. Feels rather akin actually to arguing politics online ;)

Nice to see my tip was value and has been followed and surprised and honoured to log on tonight to see OGH mentioning it like this.

It was a good call. Are you inclined to take profits ?
  • rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

Hope everyone has had a good Christmas, I've been off the site primarily playing lego and jigsaws with my children. Spent Christmas evening building my 3 year old's Lego Toy Story 4 sets only to wake up Boxing Day morning to find she'd taken it apart back to its pieces. Feels rather akin actually to arguing politics online ;)

I’ve been playing lego on my own. Great Wall of China from my beloved. Sadly she’s out for
    the count with the norovirus, which took me out on Christmas Eve.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,721
    edited December 2019
    viewcode said:

isam said:

If the day he was born had been the day we left the EU, as promised, I had floated ‘Independence’ as a middle name 🤓

@sonsam Would have been good... gets stronger with every haircut
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,230
    isam said:

viewcode said:

isam said:

If the day he was born had been the day we left the EU, as promised, I had floated ‘Independence’ as a middle name...
    Indy Isam and the PB of Doom... :)
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,042
    Alistair said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

The UC system is fucked by design. If you get paid early in a month (say for instance December) the UC system sees that as an increase in your pay and so automatically cuts your UC payment for that month.
    I believe you, but I also understand it has replaced around 20 (?) other benefits. Therefore I think it is more likely that governments will work to fix UC than to go back to the system as it was.

There was a good programme I happened to listen to on Radio 4 about this.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

The biggest advantage he has is time

If Boris is a success he has 5-10 years as PM, by which time Rishi will be a senior Cabinet minister while the Javids and Patels of the world will be long in the tooth

If Boris is a failure then you are likely not getting a Tory next PM anyway

(a) Boris is rapid failure, and is ejected by his party in the next five years. Chance: very small. Result: a current senior Cabinet Minister is next PM.

(b) Boris is a slightly less rapid failure and is dumped by the electorate in 2024. Chance: a bit higher. Result: a non-Conservative is next PM.

(c) Boris is a relative success and hands over in the next Parliament. Chance: reasonable. Result: someone who is not currently a senior Cabinet Minister becomes PM.

Personally, I'd simply sell the favourites right now.
    (A) very low chance and I’d imagine many will have their hands dipped in blood anyway.

(B) agreed

(C) that’s where Rishi is in the sweet spot I think. In 7 years he will be seasoned but not jaded. Even most of the people on this site don’t know who he is!
  • RT ticker - one million Irish passports issued in 2019 amid Brexit concerns
  • kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

First post for a while

I'm confused by that response HYUFD. What has predicting a result got to do with who you support? How did your response have anything to do with the point being made?

Does that mean that when you predict an opponent winning you will change sides? Unless it does the post does not make any logical sense.
    It s all about prediction this site - the more you re right the more kudos
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Ahem.

Travolta to get a Damehood...
This discussion has been closed.