Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Looking at when Boris Johnson’s tenure as Conservative Party l

SystemSystem Posts: 11,007
edited January 2020 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Looking at when Boris Johnson’s tenure as Conservative Party leader will end

Recent history suggests Boris Johnson will not see out a full term.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,560
    None of the previous three Prime Ministers had a working majority, or anything like it. Margaret did, and she was partly brought down by Europe, but she led a divided party, and was widely perceived to have been there for too long.

There are always unexpected scandals, and it is just about possible that the EU negotiations will go catastrophically badly, but I'd be most tempted by the post-2024 date, if I had any spare cash to lock up for half a decade or longer.

Basically, I'm not tempted by those odds.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,222
    And now Boris benefits from the factor that kept him out of office for so long - the lack of any obvious front runner as potential replacement.
  • Options
    Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836
    Is it confirmed Montgomerie is out? His love for an anti-Semite has no place in a mainstream party.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,922
    I think I would want to own the near and the far end of this. There is a very small chance that Boris will blow up this year, either because of an old scandal, a health issue, or (most unlikely) a Brexit disaster.

But if he survives this year, it seems pretty likely he'll make it to the next election.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    edited January 2020
    So you’re saying, TSE, he might leave because he makes a small cockup, or alternatively because he makes a massive mistake?

More seriously, the other imponderable is how far his lust for power will outweigh his greed. Being PM is not lucrative. Being an ex-PM on the chatshow and lecture circuits undoubtedly would be.

Personally, I don’t think he’ll last until 2024, and I would guess he will walk in 2023. But given he has spent the last year totally confounding every prediction I could easily be wrong.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924
    Boris has always wanted to be 'SOMETHING BIG'. I suspect (fear!!!) he'll go on until Thursday 24th Oct 2024 when this incarnation of the Tory Party crashes and burns in their previous heartlands.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,982
    edited January 2020
    A scandal isn't going dislodge Johnson because standards for those in politics are now so low nobody gives a fuck.

Even if Brexit is a complete fuck up or we have a recession that isn't going to be enough as his team will shitpost their way out of it using a three word slogan that comprises of the imperative form of a separable verb and a noun. MAKE MONEY GOOD.

Johnson's fat pussy is welded to the seat behind the desk in No. 10 for the foreseeable.
  • Options

I guess we are destined to have TSE's anti-Boris "he surely must crash and burn THIS year" threads for about the next twelve years....

My legendary modesty prevents me from reminding you that in the summer of 2015 I tipped 2016 as Cameron’s year of departure at 16/1 as a proxy for the referendum becoming messy.
  • Options
    Gabs3 said:

Is it confirmed Montgomerie is out? His love for an anti-Semite has no place in a mainstream party.

He’s still working for Boris Johnson.
  • Options

Gabs3 said:

He’s still working for Boris Johnson.
    Doesn’t say much for the Tories, does it, that they have such a pair of incompetent nutters as Montgomerie and Cummings working for them? That’s even before we get to Montgomerie’s love in with Orban.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,331
    Gabs3 said:

Which anti semite?
  • Options

Gabs3 said:

Which anti semite?
    Viktor Orban of Hungary.

Corbyn claimed to oppose Israel and love Jews, although I don’t think he was widely believed. Orban is an unusual example of somebody who hates Jews and loves Israel.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Gabs3 said:

Which anti semite?
    Viktor Orban of Hungary.

Corbyn claimed to oppose Israel and love Jews, although I don’t think he was widely believed. Orban is an unusual example of somebody who hates Jews and loves Israel.
    TM is a full.on Christian iirc it has to be incompatible with his religion.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,530
    rcs1000 said:

I think I would want to own the near and the far end of this. There is a very small chance that Boris will blow up this year, either because of an old scandal, a health issue, or (most unlikely) a Brexit disaster.

But if he survives this year, it seems pretty likely he'll make it to the next election.

I don't think even Johnson will be able to cock up his majority this year. Exit on WTO terms would not severely hit economically until 2021. As our matelot points out, standards are so low that it is hard to see a personal scandal seeing him disgraced. He is an alley cat, so what do people expect?

A financial scandal would perhaps be different. Politically, even a recession brought on by Brexit is survivable, the problem may be a sense of betrayal when the fishermen or other core group get chucked under the bus. Johnson does have a untrustworthiness that could get him into that sort of mess. Then there is getting involved in another unpopular Mid East war.

The Tories are ruthless at getting rid of leaders that are a liability, and far more willing to do so than Labour He simply has too much credit in the bank to get chucked out this year, though his ratings with the public may tank.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Eagles pieces are always negative about Johnson, but the point about Crow is correct.
  • Options
    GasmanGasman Posts: 132
    As Marquee Mark has said already, we seem destined to regular threads on how awful Boris is, and that he's clearly going to be out soon. A lot of the header here is either true or at least arguable, but I have to take issue with "he didn’t do anything to stop Brexit being delayed in October 2019". What exactly could he have done? I thought the previous complaint about Boris was that he was trying everything possible without regard for legality to get Brexit through then? It's amazing how the complaint changes over time.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    edited January 2020
    ‘Chaos reigns within Labour as Leonard forced into U-turn over indyref2’

Sources told the Herald on Sunday that the outcome was ‘utterly humiliating’, ‘a complete mess’ and showed ‘ a complete loss of authority’ for Scottish Labour leader Richard Leonard.

Miles Briggs, the Conservative MSP said... “They are all over the place when it comes to Scotland’s place in the Union.“

Willie Rennie... “The Liberal Democrats are clear: we are opposed to independence. Who knows what Labour’s position is.”

(Herald on Sunday £)

Richard Leonard is still the shortest priced Unionist to be next FM, at 12/1 (Shadsy). I find it very hard to believe that he’ll survive as SLab leader until May 2021.

Next Scottish First Minister (Ladbrokes)

Derek Mackay (SNP) 3/1
    Kate Forbes (SNP) 8/1
    Angus Robertson (SNP) 10/1
    Keith Brown (SNP) 12/1
    Richard Leonard (Lab) 12/1
    John Swinney (SNP) 12/1
    Mhairi Black (SNP) 16/1
    Shona Robison (SNP) 16/1
    Mike Russell (SNP) 16/1
    Humza Yousaf (SNP) 16/1

It’ll be interesting to see how Shadsy prices Jackson Carlaw (next Con leader?) in this market. A lot will depend on how conciliatory Carlaw is towards Scottish Labour and the Scottish Liberal Democrats, both deeply bruised and hurt by their treatment from the Conservatives over the last five years. Forgive & forget is profoundly unlikely.
  • Options

Sources told the Herald on Sunday that the outcome was ‘utterly humiliating’, ‘a complete mess’ and showed ‘ a complete loss of authority’ for Scottish Labour leader Richard Leonard.

Miles Briggs, the Conservative MSP said... “They are all over the place when it comes to Scotland’s place in the Union.“

Willie Rennie... “The Liberal Democrats are clear: we are opposed to independence. Who knows what Labour’s position is.”

(Herald on Sunday £)

Richard Leonard is still the shortest priced Unionist to be next FM, at 12/1 (Shadsy). I find it very hard to believe that he’ll survive as SLab leader until May 2021.

Derek Mackay (SNP) 3/1
    Kate Forbes (SNP) 8/1
    Keith Brown (SNP) 12/1
    John Swinney (SNP) 12/1
    Mhairi Black (SNP) 16/1
    Shona Robison (SNP) 16/1
    Mike Russell (SNP) 16/1
    Humza Yousaf (SNP) 16/1

It’ll be interesting to see how Shadsy prices Jackson Carlaw (next Con leader?) in this market. A lot will depend on how conciliatory Carlaw is towards Scottish Labour and the Scottish Liberal Democrats, both deeply bruised and hurt by their treatment from the Conservatives over the last five years. Forgive & forget is profoundly unlikely.

My personal view is that the next FM will be an SNP politician, and probably one already in Holyrood. So I would discount any unionists in that list anwyay. Also Robertson, which is a shame as he is an impressive figure.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Gabs3 said:

Which anti semite?
    Viktor Orban of Hungary.

Antisemtism is incompatible with Christianity?!
  • Options
    Boris is bullet proof with his private life. Willing to wager he’ll be knocking off someoje in his staff anytime soon. His poor pps, it will be constant for her.
  • Options

Boris is bullet proof with his private life. Willing to wager he’ll be knocking off someoje in his staff anytime soon. His poor pps, it will be constant for her.

But will he try to emulate Lloyd George?
  • Options
    Good grief. The Iranian government have lost what passes for their minds:

Iran plane crash: Britain condemns Tehran's arrest of UK ambassador
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51077897

Do they actually WANT a full war? Or are they just panicking and collapsing in an undignified heap?
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    Hilarious article - Boris will win the next GE with some ease.
  • Options
    Dan Hodges has found Labours new heartland -

Apparently not. If Sir Keir wins, the party that harangues us about the importance of diversity will have selected its past three leaders from within the same four square miles of North London.”
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    Labour should definitely go for Clive Lewis.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Boris is untouchable for the time being.

So right now one of the most likely causes of a Boris departure is that he has had enough.

When his political capital is spent, his demise could be swift. He has made a lot of enemies and does not have the confidence of the full Conservative tribe.
  • Options

(Herald on Sunday £)

Derek Mackay (SNP) 3/1
    Kate Forbes (SNP) 8/1
    Keith Brown (SNP) 12/1
    John Swinney (SNP) 12/1
    Mhairi Black (SNP) 16/1
    Shona Robison (SNP) 16/1
    Mike Russell (SNP) 16/1
    Humza Yousaf (SNP) 16/1

Humza is fair price.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581
    Carrie to leave Downing Street in 2020

Bozo to leave Downing Street in 2021
  • Options
    The Taoiseach, Leo Varadkar, is now almost certain to bow to growing pressure in Fine Gael to call a general election either this week or before the end of the month.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/news/call-the-election-game-over-for-varadkar-as-ff-td-set-to-vote-no-confidence-in-harris-38854090.html
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Jonathan said:

Boris is untouchable for the time being.

So right now one of the most likely causes of a Boris departure is that he has had enough.

When his political capital is spent, his demise could be swift. He has made a lot of enemies and does not have the confidence of the full Conservative tribe.

Well, the full Conservative tribe has a lot more confidence in him since he crushed Labour and the LibDems and secured an 80-seat majority.

The assertions on here about what the Conservative Party thinks are invariably utterly adrift of reality.
  • Options
    The SNP seem to be building a coalition of lots of er interesting groups... their march yesterday (not Belfast).

https://twitter.com/stubai1912/status/1216050528192466944?s=21
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

Really? Then you’d better get down the bookies. Con Most Seats is a terrific 4/6.

Guaranteed 67% return on investment in less than five years. You’d be a fool not to.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924
    ydoethur said:

Good grief. The Iranian government have lost what passes for their minds:

Iran plane crash: Britain condemns Tehran's arrest of UK ambassador
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51077897

Do they actually WANT a full war? Or are they just panicking and collapsing in an undignified heap?

Strongly suspect the latter. Suggests the late General was more important than perhaps realised.
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

The SNP seem to be building a coalition of lots of er interesting groups... their march yesterday (not Belfast).

Point of information: yesterday was not an SNP march.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811
    TGOHF666 said:

getting worried Harry, no sign of the WATP lot there
  • Options

I guess we are destined to have TSE's anti-Boris "he surely must crash and burn THIS year" threads for about the next twelve years....

My legendary modesty prevents me from reminding you that in the summer of 2015 I tipped 2016 as Cameron’s year of departure at 16/1 as a proxy for the referendum becoming messy.
    Your legendary modesty also prevents you from reminding us how many times you told us to lay Boris the favourite?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901

TGOHF666 said:

Really? Then you’d better get down the bookies. Con Most Seats is a terrific 4/6.

Guaranteed 67% return on investment in less than five years. You’d be a fool not to.
    Do you want to lay it?
  • Options
    isam said:

TGOHF666 said:

Do you want to lay it?
    I am not a bookmaker. But Bet365, Coral, Ladbrokes and SkyBet are, and are all offering that price.
  • Options

TGOHF666 said:

Sure .....

https://twitter.com/nicolasturgeon/status/1215930857317437440?s=21
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901
    edited January 2020

isam said:

TGOHF666 said:

Do you want to lay it?
    I am not a bookmaker. But Bet365, Coral, Ladbrokes and SkyBet are, and are all offering that price.
    You probably should. I remember trying to talk someone on here out of backing Labour most seats at 4/5 about three years ago, as so much could happen in the meantime.
  • Options

isam said:

TGOHF666 said:

Do you want to lay it?
    Tying up your money for 4-5 years at 4/6 isn't especially attractive.
  • Options
    So my attempted sabbatical from PB isn't really working.

There are times when I really want to share something, or just unload some political frustration.

On this occasion:

RLB rocked up in The Potteries to find out why we lost. Reporter asks people in the street and they all say Corbyn. RLB asks a room full of Momentum loons and comes away saying it was the Brexit policy.

I suppose she really means "Starmer's Brexit Policy'.
  • Options

TGOHF666 said:

Stuart, you think that matters to Haryy, he is just promoting unionist WATP propaganda and trying to denigrate Scotland and the SNP.
    Standard unionist fodder.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

TGOHF666 said:

It’s the dreadful profanity I find disturbing malc - plus some weird love in with the more unsavoury elements of our potato munching neighbours in ROI .
  • Options
    Morning all and sorry but I have never read so much Remoaner guff since the last time I logged on here! What Boris showed at the GE was how utterly irrelevant the London commentariat is and how totally out of touch it is with those who live outside the M25.

Nobody cares where Boris puts his willy or how many children he has. After all we now have a so called leading Liberal Democrat admitting she has sex with kitchen utensils (what I have heard many ordinary people decipher her "pansexual" remark to mean).

The FTPA will go shortly and Boris will call the next GE when he is well ahead of Labour or SDP Mark II in the polls and then he can go when he feels like it, in 2028 or thereafter.

The last Tory PM with a large majority was Margaret Thatcher and her downfall began when she started to cave in to the EU and the liberal London elite which lost her the support of the red working class who put her in in 1979 and kept her there in 1983 and 1987. John Major, David Cameron and Theresa May all surrendered to the EU and paid the price.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

ydoethur said:

Gabs3 said:

Which anti semite?
    Viktor Orban of Hungary.

Antisemtism is incompatible with Christianity?!
    Yes
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF666 said:

It’s the dreadful profanity I find disturbing malc - plus some weird love in with the more unsavoury elements of our potato munching neighbours in ROI .
    For most Harry they just want to run their own lives and not be subjected to London misrule of the country. We have our own unsavoury lots as well.
  • Options
    I think recent history shows the opposite of what TSE claims it does. I don't know how he can claim that 2 out of 3 didn't serve a full term. Every single PM of my lifetime who has won a majority has served at least one full term, albeit Cameron did it backwards serving a full term then winning his majority.

With a stable majority there's little reason for Johnson not to serve a full term.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,692
    Johnson will go on and on. He's England's Berlusconi.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Was that deliberately ambiguous?

😁
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

TGOHF666 said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF666 said:

For most Harry they just want to run their own lives and not be subjected to London misrule of the country. We have our own unsavoury lots as well.
    Sure - but that’s possible without jumping into bed with the dregs of the PIRA/Shinner loons.
  • Options
    edited January 2020

There are times when I really want to share something, or just unload some political frustration.

On this occasion:

RLB rocked up in The Potteries to find out why we lost. Reporter asks people in the street and they all say Corbyn. RLB asks a room full of Momentum loons and comes away saying it was the Brexit policy.

You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave pb.com

RLB also gets a Sunday Times front-page fact-check kicking about working "as a lawyer for the NHS for ten years".
  • Options
    edited January 2020

Could we have some sort of basis for your projections....
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:
    Working under deep cover.

Deep, deep cover.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,127
    edited January 2020
    Dura_Ace said:

A scandal isn't going dislodge Johnson because standards for those in politics are now so low nobody gives a fuck.

Even if Brexit is a complete fuck up or we have a recession that isn't going to be enough as his team will shitpost their way out of it using a three word slogan that comprises of the imperative form of a separable verb and a noun. MAKE MONEY GOOD.

Johnson's fat pussy is welded to the seat behind the desk in No. 10 for the foreseeable.

And the bar on standards is particularly low for politicians such as Johnson. If you openly don't care about ethics yourself it seems few will be concerned that you do not possess any.
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453
    Nope, no racism in the coverage of Kate vs. Meghan. Nope, no sir.....

https://mobile.twitter.com/gazzman5/status/1216242762837843968/photo/1
  • Options
    Also, as the "Corbynism without Corbyn" candidate it is surely sensible for RLB to at least hint that Jezza was the problem, and that otherwise our radical manifesto was a vote winner.

Otherwise she is just saying vote for me, more of the same, lose again next time.

I suppose that appeals to that part of the membership who aren't interested in forming a government.
  • Options

Also, as the "Corbynism without Corbyn" candidate it is surely sensible for RLB to at least hint that Jezza was the problem, and that otherwise our radical manifesto was a vote winner.

Otherwise she is just saying vote for me, more of the same, lose again next time.

I suppose that appeals to that part of the membership who aren't interested in forming a government.

Corby is bonkers ...the policies were bonkers..
  • Options

OK...

Bozo will dip his wick somewhere or other. She'll then walk out.

Next year some scandal or other will blow up in his face and he'll be forced to resign.

Remember, these predictions come from the person who in October was saying that we would be staying in the EU!
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077

Morning all and sorry but I have never read so much Remoaner guff since the last time I logged on here! What Boris showed at the GE was how utterly irrelevant the London commentariat is and how totally out of touch it is with those who live outside the M25.

Nobody cares where Boris puts his willy or how many children he has. After all we now have a so called leading Liberal Democrat admitting she has sex with kitchen utensils (what I have heard many ordinary people decipher her "pansexual" remark to mean).

The FTPA will go shortly and Boris will call the next GE when he is well ahead of Labour or SDP Mark II in the polls and then he can go when he feels like it, in 2028 or thereafter.

The last Tory PM with a large majority was Margaret Thatcher and her downfall began when she started to cave in to the EU and the liberal London elite which lost her the support of the red working class who put her in in 1979 and kept her there in 1983 and 1987. John Major, David Cameron and Theresa May all surrendered to the EU and paid the price.

Good luck uniting the nation with this triumphalist drivel. One nation my arse.

I live further away from London than most people on here but yet the “London bubble” bullsh*t persists.
  • Options

Did you watch the Keir Starmer launch yesterday? If so what did you think?
  • Options
    houndtanghoundtang Posts: 450
    It has to be handed to Boris, what he has done is remarkable. Six months ago it looked like he had no way out off the dire situation he inherited. Shortest serving PM ever was a distinct possibility. But he has managed to unite his party, get a deal with the EU, shaft the DUP (who deserved to be shafted), and win a big majority leaving the Left in total disarray. Underestimating him doesn't seem to be a winning strategy.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,822
    Morning all :)

Subject to a scandal which he can't avoid or evade, Boris Johnson is safe until he becomes (or appears to have become) a loser.

As long as he is a winner, he is completely safe.

Let's not forget the Conservative Parliamentary Party toppled a woman who had won them three successive GE victories and had been PM for eleven years simply because they were 10 points behind in the polls and the backbenchers in marginal seats didn't want to lose their jobs.

For all the adulation Boris enjoys now, IF (or probably when) the polls turn against him and assuming there is a more popular alternative within the Party (a Heseltine or even Major-type figure), he will be gone.

This raises the more interesting question as to whether 12/12 was a vote for Boris Johnson rather than for the Conservative Party. How many of those in the new northern Tory seats are actually Boris supporters rather than Tories?

Whether the electorate get to dispense with Boris's services or whether the Conservative MPs do it is another question.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    2024 or later is the most likely, but it's short odds and I'd need to lock my money for 4+ years for a 38% possible return. It's very poor value. I think my investments have outperformed that over the last four years.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,321

I think the 10 out of 10 comment was loyalty kicking in - as you say, it's not a sensible strategy, and the much-maligned Thornberry was much more reasonable (10 out of 10 for attracting members and inspiration, 0 out of 10 for winning the election).

If the choice was today I'd vote Starmer. But still keeping my mind open for the debate(s).
  • Options
    @stodge this is the point I was trying to make the other day and was accused of being a Remoaner loser.

Boris is popular because he has never had to make a real unpopular decision. That time will come at some point and then who knows how it will play out.
  • Options

OK...

Next year some scandal or other will blow up in his face and he'll be forced to resign.

Remember, these predictions come from the person who in October was saying that we would be staying in the EU!

OK...

I will be a cover up of something that will do for Boris..
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,822

@stodge this is the point I was trying to make the other day and was accused of being a Remoaner loser.

Boris is popular because he has never had to make a real unpopular decision. That time will come at some point and then who knows how it will play out.

Yes, I think that's a very valid point. Johnson was relatively powerless as Mayor of London and if anything unpopular had to be done, he would blame the Government though he was only too happy to close Police stations and reduce Police numbers.

Mrs Stodge is furious over the proposed IR35 tax changes which are going to make her working life as a Contractor much harder.

There will be a drip-drip of decisions which will erode the 12/12 Conservative voting coalition. Decisions on HS2 and the third runway at LHR are obvious areas where there will be a lot of unhappy people whatever is decided.

Boris may think he can please all of the people all of the time - Cummings will tell him he only has to please some of the people (say 40%) all of the time.
  • Options

OK...

That doesn't mean you'll be wrong this time. But my sense is that you will be. I think we've got him for the decade. The twenties will be the age of "Boris". Cheery thought for a Sunday morning.
  • Options

I think the 10 out of 10 comment was loyalty kicking in - as you say, it's not a sensible strategy, and the much-maligned Thornberry was much more reasonable (10 out of 10 for attracting members and inspiration, 0 out of 10 for winning the election).

If the choice was today I'd vote Starmer. But still keeping my mind open for the debate(s).
    Really.. will the policies he hard left enough for you or are you hoping someone will do a Ken Livingstone /GLC?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    stodge said:

Mrs Stodge is furious over the proposed IR35 tax changes which are going to make her working life as a Contractor much harder.

Good. It is working as intended. Too many people are getting away with tax dodging by being personal service "companies". The solution we've used is to bring the contractors on staff at a 38% gross pay cut or say goodbye. I have very little sympathy for tax dodgers.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    Emily Thornberry on Marr says the taxpayer should continue to pay for Harry and Meghan's security
  • Options
    edited January 2020

Really.. will the policies he hard left enough for you or are you hoping someone will do a Ken Livingstone /GLC?
    Given Starmer would almost certainly need LD support to become PM after the next general election given how far Labour are behind the Tories (as Cameron did in 2010 also after 13 years out of power) it is rather a different scenario to the GLC in the early 80s when Labour had a majority
  • Options

I saw part of it. I think he'll make a good leader and I expect him to win. However my first preference is still with Nandy, partly because she got it regarding Brexit while Starmer was still pushing for Remain.

I'm a Leaver, after all.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited January 2020
    I see the moron that is Clive Lewis is banging on about referendum on the royal family again this morning on Sky. When he made the comment the other day, some people on here were generous and said perhaps he got caught out and came up with a silly idea under pressure, but nope he has definitely decided to say hold my beer, I have a great idea on how to piss off the red wall voters we lost some more.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    nunu2 said:

Nope, no racism in the coverage of Kate vs. Meghan. Nope, no sir.....

https://mobile.twitter.com/gazzman5/status/1216242762837843968/photo/1

Is it racism or is it that a bit like Fergie, some elements of the press decided they don't like her for the woke progress stuff and never have a good word to say about her? Fergie got negative story about negative story, all about how much of a commoner she was, ugly, fat, money grabber etc etc etc.
  • Options
    Thatcher led the Tories for 11 years after her first majority, Major led the Tories for 5 years after his first majority. Cameron led the Tories for only another year but only because of losing a referendum but Boris gas made clear there will be no more referendums under him.

Everyone is aware of his colourful personal life and the basic trade deal for goods he agrees in December is unlikely to do much to really concern the ERG
  • Options
    GideonWiseGideonWise Posts: 1,123
    Boris has also helped to draw out those who were never really Conservatives but just Cameroons. The other description of these people as effectively Lib Dems isn't far off the mark really.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,576
    It was only a matter of time until somebody linked the decision taken by the Duke and Duchess of Sussex to Brexit. “It’s the racism,” claimed the writer Afua Hirsch in The New York Times. “With a new prime minister whose track record includes overtly racist statements . . . a Brexit project linked to native nationalism and a desire to rid Britain of large numbers of immigrants, and an ever-thickening loom of imperial nostalgia, many of us are also thinking about moving.”

Welcome to the incredibly depressing world-view of the liberal left. The only problem is that it isn’t true. Compare and contrast this bleak picture of Britain with the evidence.

As every study of Brexit has shown, the British voted this way not because of white supremacism, to kick out immigrants or to return to splendid isolation.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/goodbye-little-england-we-are-positively-happy-0hk3sgd8c
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391

I saw part of it. I think he'll make a good leader and I expect him to win. However my first preference is still with Nandy, partly because she got it regarding Brexit while Starmer was still pushing for Remain.

I'm a Leaver, after all.
    Nandy talked a good game about how important it was to get it on Brexit. But she didn't actually vote for it. Her pitch is that Labour needs to pretend to listen to the working class again, but she shows no sign of actually wanting to do it.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Emily Thornberry on Marr says the taxpayer should continue to pay for Harry and Meghan's security

Obviously. They'll have no choice in that. The Government would insist. Can you imagine ISIS parading Meghan as a prisoner on the internet, for example?
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,703
    MaxPB said:

stodge said:

Good. It is working as intended. Too many people are getting away with tax dodging by being personal service "companies". The solution we've used is to bring the contractors on staff at a 38% gross pay cut or say goodbye. I have very little sympathy for tax dodgers.
    So you want to deprive the economy of freelancers who are willing to work away from home for periods of a few months.? The country needs them to help deliver an agile economy. The answer is simple, put. a time limit on contracts to determine what is within IR35.
  • Options
    edited January 2020

MaxPB said:

stodge said:

So you want to deprive the economy of freelancers who are willing to work away from home for periods of a few months.? The country needs them to help deliver an agile economy. The answer is simple, put. a time limit on contracts to determine what is within IR35.
    Where would you draw the arbitrary line? What about long-running contracts? Wouldn't contracts just be renewed?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Obviously. They'll have no choice in that. The Government would insist. Can you imagine ISIS parading Meghan as a prisoner on the internet, for example?
    That would be very racist of them.
  • Options
    edited January 2020

It was only a matter of time until somebody linked the decision taken by the Duke and Duchess of Sussex to Brexit. “It’s the racism,” claimed the writer Afua Hirsch in The New York Times. “With a new prime minister whose track record includes overtly racist statements . . . a Brexit project linked to native nationalism and a desire to rid Britain of large numbers of immigrants, and an ever-thickening loom of imperial nostalgia, many of us are also thinking about moving.”

Welcome to the incredibly depressing world-view of the liberal left. The only problem is that it isn’t true. Compare and contrast this bleak picture of Britain with the evidence.

As every study of Brexit has shown, the British voted this way not because of white supremacism, to kick out immigrants or to return to splendid isolation.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/goodbye-little-england-we-are-positively-happy-0hk3sgd8c

Newsnight ran a piece by Lewis Goodall the other day that said basically the same thing. The country is split, those that eat quinoa and those that don't, those that like Meghan and those that don't, those that want Brexit and those that don't....cough cough thick racist gammon.
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:
    One nation Conservatives uniting the nation through petulance.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

On this occasion:

RLB also gets a Sunday Times front-page fact-check kicking about working "as a lawyer for the NHS for ten years".
    All junior lawyers inflate their achievements for CV purposes. “Advised Megacorp on their £xxxBN contested acquisition of MegaLimited” on the CV of a junior lawyer means “did a lot of proofing and copying”.

The quote from the partner at the bottom of the article speaks the truth.
  • Options

Every Prime Minister needs a willy?
  • Options
    matt said:

On this occasion:

All junior lawyers inflate their achievements for CV purposes. “Advised Megacorp on their £xxxBN contested acquisition of MegaLimited” on the CV of a junior lawyer means “did a lot of proofing and copying”.

The quote from the partner at the bottom of the article speaks the truth.
    Thanks for the tip.
  • Options
    houndtang said:

It has to be handed to Boris, what he has done is remarkable. Six months ago it looked like he had no way out off the dire situation he inherited. Shortest serving PM ever was a distinct possibility. But he has managed to unite his party, get a deal with the EU, shaft the DUP (who deserved to be shafted), and win a big majority leaving the Left in total disarray. Underestimating him doesn't seem to be a winning strategy.

Underestimating Dominic Cummings is not a winning strategy
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,576

Newsnight ran a piece by Lewis Goodall the other day that said basically the same thing. The country is split, those that eat quinoa and those that don't
    The trouble is the quinoa eaters write the newspapers, broadcast the news, tweet and talk to politicians. The non-quinoa eaters have now twice reminded them who is actually in charge.

• Options

Newsnight ran a piece by Lewis Goodall the other day that said basically the same thing. The country is split, those that eat quinoa and those that don't
    The trouble is the quinoa eaters write the newspapers, broadcast the news, tweet and talk to politicians. The non-quinoa eaters have now twice reminded them who is actually in charge.

I should remind you that Liberal Democrat and Labour "quinoa eaters" outnumber Conservative "non-quinoa eaters".
  • Options

Not saying that Brexit was about these things but it's not an easy question for "studies" to answer with any degree of confidence.

"So, Leave voter, did you vote for Brexit because you like the idea of Britain as a predominantly white anglo nation, superior to others, that is very hard for foreign migrants to get into? Or was it all about sovereignty and making our own laws?"
  • Options

I should remind you that Liberal Democrat and Labour "quinoa eaters" outnumber Conservative "non-quinoa eaters".
    Con 365
    Lab 202
    LD 11

:innocent:
  • Options
    edited January 2020

Con 365
    Lab 202
    LD 11

That doesn't invalidate the truth in my statement.
  • Options

Con 365
    Lab 202
    LD 11

That doesn't invalidate the truth in my statement.
    202+11 does not outnumber 365!
This discussion has been closed.