Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Buttigieg’s powerful new argument two weeks before Iowa : When

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited January 2020 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Buttigieg’s powerful new argument two weeks before Iowa : When the Dems choose an old insider they lose

I’ve just had an email from an old acquaintance who has recently visited Iowa where he attended a packed Pete Buttigieg meeting, asked questions of the young contender and got himself a selfie. This is from his email.

Read the full story here

Comments

• MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,583
    edited January 2020
    Go Mayor Pete!

Oh and first.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,955
    Well, he has a point.....
    2-0 Liverpool.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    For the sake of my purse, I hope your friend is right.
    Liverpool could lose all their league games until 7th March and still only be, at worst, 2 points off the pace.....
  • Liverpool could lose all their league games until 7th March and still only be, at worst, 2 points off the pace.....

They could but then again Hitler could come back to life.

Liverpool could lose all their league games until 7th March and still only be, at worst, 2 points off the pace.....

It would be a hell of a betting coup though.....
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,730

ydoethur said:

And to amplify my earlier comments, King's College, Imperial College, London, UCL and Queen Mary should all be relocated from Central London.

I know plenty of academics from Imperial. There are all feckin miserable, as they have to live miles and miles away from Kensington, and travel a gruelling & horrible commute.

No member of the faculty can afford to live anywhere near Kensington (or the Strand or Bloomsbury for that matter).

If you want to increase the sum of human misery, locate an organisation in London ... so your staff have a miserable journey on overpacked public transport from some dire & expensive rental on the outskirts.

If you want to increase the sum of human happiness, move the organisation out of London ... & make your staff happy.

Sir, with an attitude like that you are neither Samuel nor Boris Johnson!
    Dr Johnson was wrong.

He who is tired of London, is tired of living in an overpriced shitheap and has rather come to his senses.
    London is greatest city in the world.

The PB Provincials’ endless desperation to do it down is pathetic.

Sure, just as Ernie Wise was held back in his career by Eric Morecambe.
  • Liverpool could lose all their league games until 7th March and still only be, at worst, 2 points off the pace.....

It would be a hell of a betting coup though.....
    Correct, Leicester to win the league were also.

• Regardless of who you want to win, 2-7 is value considering he was 4-7 at the start and he's two frames clear.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    edited January 2020
    At the moment it is looking like Biden Humphrey/Mondale v Sanders McGovern to be Democratic nominee to take on Trump.

Buttigieg has collapsed to 3rd in the 2 latest Iowa caucuses polls and is even further behind nationally in 4th just 0.2% ahead of Bloomberg on average.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/president/ia/iowa_democratic_presidential_caucus-6731.html

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/president/us/2020_democratic_presidential_nomination-6730.html
  • mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    edited January 2020
    There were some posts on the previous thread about London university colleges being in the centre. I recall somebody suggesting, in the early 1990s, that the colleges should relocate in their entirety to Canary Wharf/the Isle of Dogs. At that stage in Docklands development they could have had all the space and property they wanted very cheaply. While remaining in London.
    edited January 2020
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

And to amplify my earlier comments, King's College, Imperial College, London, UCL and Queen Mary should all be relocated from Central London.

I know plenty of academics from Imperial. There are all feckin miserable, as they have to live miles and miles away from Kensington, and travel a gruelling & horrible commute.

No member of the faculty can afford to live anywhere near Kensington (or the Strand or Bloomsbury for that matter).

If you want to increase the sum of human misery, locate an organisation in London ... so your staff have a miserable journey on overpacked public transport from some dire & expensive rental on the outskirts.

If you want to increase the sum of human happiness, move the organisation out of London ... & make your staff happy.

Dr Johnson was wrong.

He who is tired of London, is tired of living in an overpriced shitheap and has rather come to his senses.

Eric was infinitely more talented than Ernie, AND London is one of the great cities.
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    Why would we move any of the universities out of London?

Manchester, Liverpool, and Birmingham already have fine universities, global leaders in some fields indeed.
  • ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Dr Johnson was wrong.

Eric was infinitely more talented than Ernie,AND London is one of the great cities.
    London is not a great city, high crime rates.
  • HYUFD said:

At the moment it is looking like Biden Humphrey/Mondale v Sanders McGovern to be Democratic nominee to take on Trump.

Buttigieg has collapsed to 3rd in the 2 latest Iowa caucuses polls and is even further behind nationally in 4th just 0.2% ahead of Bloomberg on average.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/president/ia/iowa_democratic_presidential_caucus-6731.html

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/president/us/2020_democratic_presidential_nomination-6730.html

Those polls are also consistent with a more-or-less 4-way tie. What is interesting though is that combined with the 15% cutoff, all the front-runners are vulnerable to losing out in some precincts, and there are also some 15 or so percentage points from the also-rans to be redistributed one way or another.

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Dr Johnson was wrong.

Eric was infinitely more talented than Ernie,AND London is one of the great cities.
    As all large UK cities are like demilitarised zones you are not being very patriotic. One is probably as safe in London as one would be in Paris, Berlin, Madrid or Rome, so long as one is not a teenage gang member.

No stats please!
  • ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Dr Johnson was wrong.

As all large UK cities are like demilitarised zones you are not being very patriotic. One is probably as safe in London as one would be in Paris, Berlin, Madrid or Rome, so long as one is not a teenage gang member.

No stats please!
    Lol.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,557

Manchester, Liverpool, and Birmingham already have fine universities, global leaders in some fields indeed.

Imperial is not going to move out of London, but it has already... significantly diversified away from its central campus (selling off student accommodation in the process), and will no doubt continue to do so.

Who knows, they might even build an annexe in Wales.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Dr Johnson was wrong.

London is THE great city.

It's not quite Rome at its peak in terms of dominance now, but it will go well beyond that. Only the careless have failed to secure themselves some small garret which will buy great swathes of other countries now and the actual full country soon. 1bed flat or Luxembourg?
    edited January 2020

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Dr Johnson was wrong.

Eric was infinitely more talented than Ernie, AND London is one of the great cities.
    London is a great city to live in if you have money. Much less so if you don’t.

My daughter went to Kings because of the course, rather than the location. In her last two years she was able to rent from parents of friends who had bought a small house in St Johns Wood they were planning to do up and were happy to rent out on the meanwhile. Naturally she loved it.

Once that ended she faced the reality of renting small cramped overpriced flats and her costs taking up most of any income she could earn with little prospect of saving. So she has decamped from London and is now running her own business. The work is hard and stressful but she has independence, is learning a lot and is able to save for a home and travel. There are downsides: opportunities - both in terms of work and people to meet - are necessarily less than in a large city. But she is still much happier.

It is very hard for the young to make a go of it in London without help from parents - unless they are working in the City or associated sectors. Not everyone wants to do that. Professional life in London can easily resemble a hamster wheel, if you’re not careful.

We want and need different things from life at different stages. Sneering at London or the provinces is tiresome and childish, betraying nothing more than the author’s inability to find the interesting in all sorts of unexpected places.
  • YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited January 2020
    matt said:

There were some posts on the previous thread about London university colleges being in the centre. I recall somebody suggesting, in the early 1990s, that the colleges should relocate in their entirety to Canary Wharf/the Isle of Dogs. At that stage in Docklands development they could have had all the space and property they wanted very cheaply. While remaining in London.

Indeed. In fact, the Universities would have made money by moving out of Kensington or the Strand or Bloomsbury to go to the Isle of Dogs.

As Munich University is doing -- making money by selling buildings in the centre.

That money could have been added to their endowment ... and used to fund grants for low income students, or students from abroad, or PhDs, or research & teaching.

The idea that the London Colleges have to be located on the Strand, or in Bloomsbury Square, or on Exhibition Rd, or they won't thrive & the students won't come, is just Meeksianic drivel.

They just can't. Kings students couldn't then call UCL Gower St. Poly and UcL students couldn't call Kings, Strand Poly.

That is end of the world stuff.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,741
    Evening all :)

Just to add to the European polling news in which no one seemed interested (significant Irish opinion poll included):

The latest Spanish poll has PSOE on 30%, PP on 20% and VOX on 17%. Is there any possibility VOX could overtake PP and become the lead opposition from the centre-right before the next Cortes election?
    edited January 2020
    @Cyclefree and London/universities.

That’s far too nuanced an answer. London is marvellous and one is ignorant if one suggests that it has flaws or it is Dante’s undocumented 8th circle. There can be nothing in between

I was at King’s and then one of the Institutes. I was lucky with my tutors but even in the 1990s, accommodation was a mess (and the private rental scene far worse). I’m not sure that I’d recommend any of the central London colleges to my children. But, I and all my siblings went to London colleges because we grew up in quite a rural, isolated area and aged 18 you run away from that quickly.

None of us live in London any longer, although one works there and I lived/worked there for 20 years. I find boasting about a sophisticated London life while living in a zone 3/4 suburb incomprehensible. All the downside, none of the benefits.

matt said:

Indeed. In fact, the Universities would have made money by moving out of Kensington or the Strand or Bloomsbury to go to the Isle of Dogs.

As Munich University is doing -- making money by selling buildings in the centre.

That money could have been added to their endowment ... and used to fund grants for low income students, or students from abroad, or PhDs, or research & teaching.

The idea that the London Colleges have to be located on the Strand, or in Bloomsbury Square, or on Exhibition Rd, or they won't thrive & the students won't come, is just Meeksianic drivel.
    They don’t think that themselves - as Imperial’s new White City campus demonstrates.

stodge said:

Just to add to the European polling news in which no one seemed interested (significant Irish opinion poll included):

The latest Spanish poll has PSOE on 30%, PP on 20% and VOX on 17%. Is there any possibility VOX could overtake PP and become the lead opposition from the centre-right before the next Cortes election?

I think wait for another one or two Irish polls. That was heavily influenced by a fairly confected outrage over a police anniversary celebration. At this point we’ve seen no material policies - other than the various left wing parties which all boil down to “more personal tax” and various independents which are wholly pork-oriented.

They just can't. Kings students couldn't then call UCL Gower St. Poly and UcL students couldn't call Kings, Strand Poly.

Imperial has a campus in Berkshire. Does that count as apocalyptic ?
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    matt said:

That’s far too nuanced an answer. London is marvellous and one is ignorant if one suggests that it has flaws or it is Dante’s undocumented 8th circle. There can be nothing in between

I was at King’s and then one of the Institutes. I was lucky with my tutors but even in the 1990s, accommodation was a mess (and the private rental scene far worse). I’m not sure that I’d recommend any of the central London colleges to my children. But, I and all my siblings went to London colleges because we grew up in quite a rural, isolated area and aged 18 you run away from that quickly.

None of us live in London any longer, although one works there and I lived/worked there for 20 years. I find boasting about a sophisticated London life while living in a zone 3/4 suburb incomprehensible. All the downside, none of the benefits.

I think that depends on how close you live to the station. Zone 9 is perfectly manageable if you live nearer to the station than the Station car park.
    Nigelb said:

South Ken. Poly has moved?

Satellite campuses are ok.
  • Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    I haven't quite bet the farm on Buttigieg, but he's showing a modest profit.
  • stodge said:

Can VOX be described as centre right? They seem to have many of the ultrantionalist, anti immigration & anti Muslim characteristics of parties usually thought of as quite far from the centre.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,841
    I'm sure many students choose it for more academic reasons but I certainly would not have gone to Imperial if it had not been located in central London.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
    Top header. As I have said many times on here for months, I reckon Buttigieg will surprise in Iowa.
  • JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 5,997
    matt said:

I find boasting about a sophisticated London life while living in a zone 3/4 suburb incomprehensible. All the downside, none of the benefits.

I'm not sure I follow. I lived in New Malden, Zone 4. Less than 25 minutes from Waterloo. I could easily stay out late enjoying London's attractions. Housing was much cheaper and at the weekend I got a more relaxed environment, more like a commuter belt Surrey town. If I wanted to get out of town for the weekend, I was already on the non-urban bit of the A3. I thought it was a good compromise.
  • On universities and slumming it in London garrets -- these days there is a lot of high quality accommodation from specialist providers, paid for from student loans which give students far more disposable income than in most pb-ers' days.

See for instance
    https://www.unitestudents.com/
    Aawww..... bugger. I am now coming down with something else ...... or perhaps what I had before is coming back.

How very tiresome.

On the plus side, the weather today was utterly magical.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,601
    eek said:

matt said:

I think that depends on how close you live to the station. Zone 9 is perfectly manageable if you live nearer to the station than the Station car park.
    What about one of the nice new flats *in* Twickenham station? Lol

Nigelb said:

If they have moved to Berkshire, does that mean they are now all Berks?
  • JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 5,997
    Nigelb said:

Sunninghill's fine. Bracknell would be beyond the pale.
  • Flip-flopping favourites in Ireland on the back of poor polling for the incumbent.
    Cyclefree said:

Aawww..... bugger. I am now coming down with something else ...... or perhaps what I had before is coming back.

How very tiresome.

Sorry to hear that Cyclefree. Hope it's a minor passing thing.
  • OT this has been linked to before but it is mildly interesting anyway
    All prime ministers' voices from Gladstone to May.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hP0h4AP0Voo
    matt said:

When I was working full-time in London and had a family, the idea of having a sophisticated lifestyle was laughable. I counted myself lucky if I could have a bath in peace let alone swan around town. Now it is much easier - I loved working on the south bank last year near the Tate and I saw a side of London I was not that familiar with - but my desire for the great outdoors - gardens / country / the sea / fresh air - is also much greater. The ideal is to have a bit of both: London life and country living. A pipe dream for most.

None of this answers the question of how we can make London a city fit for those who are not stinking rich.
  • MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    HYUFD said:

The Iowa caucuses have a history of defying the polls. The very nature of them makes them different. Remember my top tip of Rick Santorum in 2012.

The one poll that matters is the Des Moines Register one due out a week on Saturday.
    ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

How very tiresome.

It’s prolonged nature - a month now - suggests not. I may need an MOT or to flee to the Amalfi coast once again.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766
    HYUFD said:

I notice you haven't commented on today's Iowa poll, where Sanders has dropped to fifth.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/iowa/

(Note the Klobuchar surge)

On universities and slumming it in London garrets -- these days there is a lot of high quality accommodation from specialist providers, paid for from student loans which give students far more disposable income than in most pb-ers' days.

See for instance

Student stuff can be good, but not cheap. Once you’re no longer a student, the London rental market is another thing entirely.
    Cyclefree said:

How very tiresome.

So many people this winter are going down wih recurring stuff. My hacking cough has mostly gone, but still not 100% after nearly six weeks.
    Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

How very tiresome.

It’s prolonged nature - a month now - suggests not. I may need an MOT or to flee to the Amalfi coast once again.
    This has been a particularly unpleasant winter for all sorts of persistent and vaguely identifiable bugs.

Do you supplement vitamin D during the sunless months ?
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

If they have moved to Berkshire, does that mean they are now all Berks?
    Some are in a White City, so they’ve gone to the dogs,
  • Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

How very tiresome.

Sorry to hear that Cyclefree but the Amalfi coast is just magical .

I took my three children there in 1987 and my daughter had her first romance in Amalfi.

We have been back several times and it's magic and romance does not diminish whatsover and it is the one place I have enjoyed pizzas, as I am not normally a fan, with or without pineapple !!!!!
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    Cyclefree said:

London is a great city to live in if you have money. Much less so if you don’t.

My daughter went to Kings because of the course, rather than the location. In her last two years she was able to rent from parents of friends who had bought a small house in St Johns Wood they were planning to do up and were happy to rent out on the meanwhile. Naturally she loved it.

Once that ended she faced the reality of renting small cramped overpriced flats and her costs taking up most of any income she could earn with little prospect of saving. So she has decamped from London and is now running her own business. The work is hard and stressful but she has independence, is learning a lot and is able to save for a home and travel. There are downsides: opportunities - both in terms of work and people to meet - are necessarily less than in a large city. But she is still much happier.

It is very hard for the young to make a go of it in London without help from parents - unless they are working in the City or associated sectors. Not everyone wants to do that. Professional life in London can easily resemble a hamster wheel, if you’re not careful.

We want and need different things from life at different stages. Sneering at London or the provinces is tiresome and childish, betraying nothing more than the author’s inability to find the interesting in all sorts of unexpected places.

Very true. And that Opinium poll with all the weird questions included some on whether people prefer politicians from one place or another. Generally, they don't.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    edited January 2020

HYUFD said:

The Iowa caucuses have a history of defying the polls. The very nature of them makes them different. Remember my top tip of Rick Santorum in 2012.

The one poll that matters is the Des Moines Register one due out a week on Saturday.
    The last Des Moines Register Iowa poll from 10 days ago had Sanders ahead, Warren second and Buttigieg third and as you say it is normally right
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,456
    kinabalu said:

I'm sure many students choose it for more academic reasons but I certainly would not have gone to Imperial if it had not been located in central London.

Interesting as I made a point of not choosing Imperial because I lived in Surrey and it was too close. I went to Manchester.

Having said that it was in the early 70s so I'm not sure how relevant that is today.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 595
    Surprised and disappointed to see the Guardian of all people denigrate the achievements of a successful black african businesswoman.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jan/19/isabel-dos-santos-revealed-africa-richest-woman-2bn-empire-luanda-leaks-angola
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,670

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Dr Johnson was wrong.

A shithole more like
  • kjh said:

kinabalu said:

Interesting as I made a point of not choosing Imperial because I lived in Surrey and it was too close. I went to Manchester.

Having said that it was in the early 70s so I'm not sure how relevant that is today.
    I did not apply to Imperial because there was a compulsory German module for chemistry (not updated since the Great War, one imagines). Whether they'd have accepted me is another question.
    I'm no expert on current US politics, but I wonder if in general intelligent moderates with no very central theme tend to get lots of critical acclaim without actually winning. Lisa Nandy comes to mind similarly - widely liked in a mild sort of way, but not actually getting any nominations yet.
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,092
    dodrade said:

Surprised and disappointed to see the Guardian of all people denigrate the achievements of a successful black african businesswoman.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jan/19/isabel-dos-santos-revealed-africa-richest-woman-2bn-empire-luanda-leaks-angola

The bbc is going big on this too. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-51128950
    A Panorama programme is lined up to examine the imbroglio surrounding Isabel dos Santos which also figures accountancy firm PWC.
    It looks like your "successful black african businesswoman" has some explaining to do

I'm no expert on current US politics, but I wonder if in general intelligent moderates with no very central theme tend to get lots of critical acclaim without actually winning. Lisa Nandy comes to mind similarly - widely liked in a mild sort of way, but not actually getting any nominations yet.

If not this time, then next.

Adam Bolton in STimes.
    malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Dr Johnson was wrong.

A shithole more like
    ... it is a wonderful, cosmopolitan, open 24/7 kind of one though.
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The last Des Moines Register Iowa poll from 10 days ago had Sanders ahead, Warren second and Buttigieg third and as you say it is normally right
    They are all very close, maybe 3 or 4 points in it. No way can a pollster be that accurate in a Iowa caucus.

So who can say, but my gut is telling me that Mayor Pete will come through on the night.

• EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,960
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

I notice you haven't commented on today's Iowa poll, where Sanders has dropped to fifth.

Blimey, Trump's either doing really well or really badly with 5%. Is this a different Trump, or has he switched parties again?

Adam Bolton in STimes.
    Is Bunter tiring of Boris already?

Adam Bolton in STimes.
    Is Bunter tiring of Boris already?
    :lol: Well, he doesn't actually say that any of the wanna-be Labourites has a cat's chance against Johnson.
    Endillion said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Blimey, Trump's either doing really well or really badly with 5%. Is this a different Trump, or has he switched parties again?
    "The ballot test question was asked as an open-ended, with no names suggested. As a result, a small percentage of respondents mentioned Donald Trump as their first choice, even though they said they plan on participating in the Democratic Caucus"

(the pollster's website)

God help us all.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,841
    kjh said:

Yes kind of opposite but the same because if I was from London I would not have wanted to study there. But I'm from the north.
  • EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,960

Endillion said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

"The ballot test question was asked as an open-ended, with no names suggested. As a result, a small percentage of respondents mentioned Donald Trump as their first choice, even though they said they plan on participating in the Democratic Caucus"

(the pollster's website)

God help us all.
    On the one hand it's only 15 people. On the other, it's out of only 300.

I have often wondered what proportion of caucus/primary voters are actually fully intent on voting for the other side come November, and register for the "wrong" party to help ensure a beatable candidate/more palatable alternative. I'm sure there's a poll on this somewhere, although how much you could trust the results I'm not sure.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,598

matt said:

I find boasting about a sophisticated London life while living in a zone 3/4 suburb incomprehensible. All the downside, none of the benefits.

I'm not sure I follow. I lived in New Malden, Zone 4. Less than 25 minutes from Waterloo. I could easily stay out late enjoying London's attractions. Housing was much cheaper and at the weekend I got a more relaxed environment, more like a commuter belt Surrey town. If I wanted to get out of town for the weekend, I was already on the non-urban bit of the A3. I thought it was a good compromise.
    You have forgotten to apply the PB filter.

90% of PBers who pontificate about how awful London is know sweet fuck all about London.
    Cyclefree said:

On universities and slumming it in London garrets -- these days there is a lot of high quality accommodation from specialist providers, paid for from student loans which give students far more disposable income than in most pb-ers' days.

See for instance

Student stuff can be good, but not cheap. Once you’re no longer a student, the London rental market is another thing entirely.
    The student accommodation market is interesting. I talked to some builders on one project - was in the pub across the road when they finished their shift.

Apparently they are being designed and built on the following basis - the walls and layout are setup so that when required, x number of the student coffin rooms will be knocked together to create flats - a cheap conversion in a matter of weeks...

They are being built in so-so areas - the idea is to soak the students of as much money as possible in that phase. Charmingly, student accommodation often gets round the problem of x% being required to be social housing.

Then, when the area has gentrified a bit, at the end of the academic year the students are not replace. So no problem with existing tenants. Then convert to flats. Which doesn't count as change of use - so the builders said.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,007
    Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

How very tiresome.

I've had the same.

My daughter keeps getting nasty coughs and runny noses too.

It's not been a nice autumn/winter for bugs.
    kjh said:

kinabalu said:

I didn't choose Imperial (I had an offer) because it was over 80% male and seemed very nerdy, rather than fun.

So, I picked Bristol.

I don't regret it.
    Cyclefree said:

See for instance

My wife and I were renting a 2-bed flat in rotherhithe 8 years ago that cost more than our repayment mortgage on our detached 4-bed in Hampshire now, in 2020.

London can easily burn you out and clean you out even on two good salaries.
    London is expensive.

Who knew?
  • YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

matt said:

90% of PBers who pontificate about how awful London is know sweet fuck all about London.
    But that is waaaaaaaaaaay better than average.

99 percent of PB-ers who pontificate about Wales or Scotland would not be able to place Dolgellau or Stranraer on a map.
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,287

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Dr Johnson was wrong.

London WAS a great city. I.left in 80.. i think.its a ghastly place. Overpopulated. Overbuiit.. filthy with traffic .. to.livr there.. ??? no thanks.. just go in for my cultural experiences eg theatre and then exit..swiftly.

matt said:

99 percent of PB-ers who pontificate about Wales or Scotland would not be able to place Dolgellau or Stranraer on a map.
    Fair. Thank god for devolution.
  • nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453
    Endillion said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

That poll has over 80% of the sample over 65's, and a sample of only 300. In other words it's rubbish.

Cyclefree said:

See for instance

My wife and I were renting a 2-bed flat in rotherhithe 8 years ago that cost more than our repayment mortgage on our detached 4-bed in Hampshire now, in 2020.

If you got in before the prices started to zoom or you earn silly money... Well I've met some un-thinking types who don't understand what the problem is. One particularly comes to mind - was left a 6 bed house with a big garden in West London by his parents. Never stops complaining about people who complain about lack of space or prices in London.
  • matt said:

I've been to Stranraer. Does Dolgellau have a station?
  • kjh said:

kinabalu said:

I didn't choose Imperial (I had an offer) because it was over 80% male and seemed very nerdy, rather than fun.

So, I picked Bristol.

I don't regret it.
    I spent nearly 10 years at Imperial (Biochemistry). I did my Undergrad, Postgrad and my first post-doc there.

matt said:

As I am in that 1%, as I presume are you, I wonder who the others are?
    edited January 2020

matt said:

*smugly buffs nails as one of the 1%....*

Like a train buff, I have travelled all over the UK - twitching rare birds. There would be few 10 sq miles of mainland Britain I haven't travelled to or through. I will have fun some time trying to work out where I haven't been. Nowhere in England for sure. Maybe around Lampeter in Wales. Much of Scotland has been done - all the coast and much crossing between. Lewis and Harris is still a gap in the outer Hebs. Islay but not Jura. But the rest of the Inner and Outer Hebs have been visited, along with Shetland, Fair Isle and the Orkneys.

St. Kilda is still on the bucket list. SeanT has that one on me.

kjh said:

kinabalu said:

So, I picked Bristol.

I don't regret it.
    I spent nearly 10 years at Imperial (Biochemistry). I did my Undergrad, Postgrad and my first post-doc there.
    And, you don't have a girlfriend Sunil!

I think that's a little bit of my point.

Cyclefree said:

See for instance

If you got in before the prices started to zoom or you earn silly money... Well I've met some un-thinking types who don't understand what the problem is. One particularly comes to mind - was left a 6 bed house with a big garden in West London by his parents. Never stops complaining about people who complain about lack of space or prices in London.
    People are generally prone to filtering their view of the world through their own experiences, and poor at putting themselves into the shoes of others.
  • Has there been anymore​ nominations tonight?
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,042
    Is it the eating of the cake he's objecting to or the not having it?

matt said:

I've been to Stranraer. Does Dolgellau have a station?
    You'll need a Tardis:

"Dolgellau was a station on the Ruabon to Barmouth railway line. The line opened on 4th August 1868 and closed to passengers on 18th January 1965 as a result of the Beeching Axe."
    Jeremy Cunt, meet Mr Shithole:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-51166339
    Harry would make a wonderful spearhead for an anti-bullying charity, given the horrific treatment he and his family have had to endure from the media and the monarchical machine.

I wish him well in a life free, at least, from the shackles of Big Royalty.

Is it the eating of the cake he's objecting to or the not having it?
    Yawn. Time for bed.
  • speedy2speedy2 Posts: 981
    Buttigieg is young, rich, without any policies or much baggage.

But his severe lack of charisma and lack of empathy makes him hated by anyone who doesn't make more than 150k a year and isn't white.

Buttigieg's problem is that he comes off as a rich snob, the male version of Jo Swinson.

That's why he is the only candidate of the top 4 that even if he does win Iowa and N.Hampshire he will not win the nomination, no Hispanic or African American will vote for him, they hate his guts.

Cyclefree said:

See for instance

People are generally prone to filtering their view of the world through their own experiences, and poor at putting themselves into the shoes of others.
    To try and meet others and try understand their worldview is the true, real travelling.

One time, long ago in Wiltshire, I was out on a sunny Sunday with an odd bunch. a couple of genuine old school gypsies, some near'do-wells from the pub.. there was an archery target in the field next to the churchyard, and someone had a bought a longbow they had crudely whittled themselves. Must have been a hundred pounds pull. So we drank some beers and the arrows slammed into the target. There was something strange in watching a kid who had essentially no prospects in life concentrating on the mark....

But then again, so many will walk across Nepal and not exchange a word beyond Namaste with any but their guide.
    stodge said:

Missed any ealrier post but would have been interested. The Irish poll was the one showing SF surging?
This discussion has been closed.