Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A former Tory councillor becomes the first to declare for Jo S

SystemSystem Posts: 11,017
edited February 2020 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A former Tory councillor becomes the first to declare for Jo Swinson’s old job as LD leader

Unlike Labour the Lib Dems decided to postpone the election to replace Jo Swinson until after the May local elections and in the meantime Ed Davey and the Party president, the blogger Mark Pack, are acting as joint leaders. The political logic is clear: the party traditionally does well in local elections and doesn’t want to be distracted by a leadership election.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    First.
  • Options
    Anyone else remember when Dan Hannan used to bang on about unelected politicians being foisted upon the British voters who they couldn’t remove?

You’ll be shocked to learn he’s accepted a peerage.

He’s just a pound shop John Prescott.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    second
  • Options
    On topic, what I’ve seen of her, she wouldn’t be the worst choice.

If Sir Keir Starmer is elected Labour leader then the job of the Lib Dems became even harder.
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    She’s the new Jo Swinson ?
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,988

If Sir Keir Starmer is elected Labour leader then the job of the Lib Dems became even harder.

On the contrary. A nontoxic Labour leader would help the LibDems.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, maybe.

Starmer might be open to some degree of co-operation.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,231
    I agree that criticising the former leadership for attacking Labour is a strange place to start. Firstly, I don’t think that they did, the emphasis was all on being the anti Brexit party. Secondly, failing to attack Labour with the problems they had was a strategic mistake of epic proportions. It is unlikely Labour will be so vulnerable again and the road back to relevance looks long and complicated.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    TGOHF666 said:

Just reading her Wikipedia entry, it says she's a Christian. Hopefully she doesn't have the same problems as Tim Farron.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,592

Perhaps.

Under FPTP the electoral fortunes of Lab and LD tend to move in sync. 1997 was a good year for both, 2015 a bad year for both. Both made modest gains in 2017, significant losses in 2019.

A less hostile approach between the leaderships should be possible under Starmer.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983

Most of the LD target seats are in Tory Remain or soft Leave seats where they are now second, not Labour seats. If Starmer is less of a concern to Tory Remainers as PM than Corbyn they will be more likely to vote LD not just Labour.

See 1997 where the LD vote fell 1% on 1992 but they won over 40 seats by sweeping their target seats
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Perhaps.

Under FPTP the electoral fortunes of Lab and LD tend to move in sync. 1997 was a good year for both, 2015 a bad year for both. Both made modest gains in 2017, significant losses in 2019.

A less hostile approach between the leaderships should be possible under Starmer.
    But that is because they eat the same pie. If the Lib Dem’s want to break through they need a new pie.
  • Options

Anyone else remember when Dan Hannan used to bang on about unelected politicians being foisted upon the British voters who they couldn’t remove?

Hannan is one of the brightest politicians around and was an elected MEP for over 20 years, he is the type of person we need in the Lords
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718
    HYUFD said:

Hannan is one of the brightest politicians around and was an elected MEP for over 20 years, he is the type of person we need in the Lords
    I agree HYUFD. What are your views on Bercow?
  • Options
    There does seem to be a growing opinion that Starmer will turn out to be the saviour of the labour party and a new dawn will rise as momemtum are marginalised and anti semitism resolved

Is this realistic or just a comfort blanket for labour supporters who have been so demoralised since 12th December

Given labour have to gain 123 seats at the next GE it does seem a tad optimistic that all will be well soon
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,341
    edited February 2020

SKS will not be troubling the new LibDem leader for the Chat Show Charlie position. Dull but competent won't get any new leader onto Graham Norton and even Question Time would be pushing it.

There might be another problem with Wera's premature declaration if it signals a naive openness to answering any question within earshot. Arguably this is what trapped Jo Swinson into a number of self-defeating positions.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,517
    tlg86 said:

TGOHF666 said:

Just reading her Wikipedia entry, it says she's a Christian. Hopefully she doesn't have the same problems as Tim Farron.
    If being a Christian is a problem we have got a problem. Approximately half of the UK population so describes itself. About 5 million of them are actual church goers. They are about as common as Manchester United supporters.

• Options
    edited February 2020

There does seem to be a growing opinion that Starmer will turn out to be the saviour of the labour party and a new dawn will rise as momemtum are marginalised and anti semitism resolved

Is this realistic or just a comfort blanket for labour supporters who have been so demoralised since 12th December

Given labour have to gain 123 seats at the next GE it does seem a tad optimistic that all will be well soon

Cameron also needed well over 100 seats for a majority in 2010, he did not win but got enough for a deal with the LDs
  • Options
    Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

No peerage until the allegations against him are fully investigated
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

tlg86 said:

TGOHF666 said:

If being a Christian is a problem we have got a problem. Approximately half of the UK population so describes itself. About 5 million of them are actual church goers. They are about as common as Manchester United supporters.

And as annoying as Manchester United fans?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,262
    tlg86 said:

TGOHF666 said:

She’s feisty and combative, but her CV contains a fair few reasons why she’d be a *bold* choice and I am unconvinced by her analysis of what went wrong last year.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105
    But is Hobhouse fo Rejoin?
  • Options

Not quite. The House of Lords is not a body with the power to pass laws. Nothing it does has effect unless the elected chamber wants it to. This is a marked difference from the powers that the EU had until last week. It is the only revising and advisory chamber we have got. It makes perfectly good sense to have Daniel Hannan in it (and for John Bercow not to be in it) until a better idea comes along.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

So your more concerned about the allegations that his behaviour in the Chair? For me , I`m far more concerned about the latter (i.e. his impartiality and non-adherance to convention).
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    HYUFD said:

Hannan is a mendacious moron.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    HYUFD said:

The other day he was noisily hailing the lack of chaos following Brexit Day as yet further evidence of Remainer "Project Fear" being pure paranoia and scaremongering.

It was as if he chose to forget there was a Transition and thus no practical change in order to make a fake point to the more uninformed - i.e. a considerable number - of his Leave followers.

Is this what you mean by "bright"? Exploiting the dim?
  • Options

As I said yesterday, the next leader’s job is to put Labour back on its feet, reestablish some credibility, marginalise or expel the nutters, sort out its policy offering and then go down to a heroic defeat, trimming the Tory majority. And maybe rinse and repeat. Then hand over to someone from the next generation able to map out and inspire people to follow a path to make the party relevant to the 21st century. Starmer may not be such a bad choice; his weaknesses are being boring and appearing a little too flexible in what he believes and stands for.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

tlg86 said:

TGOHF666 said:

And as annoying as Manchester United fans?
    Like MU fans they vary from pretty good to very very bad. Mostly less in your face than football supporters. And are a little more ethnically diverse. And don't normally do monkey chants.

• Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    HYUFD said:

I find myself thinking whether you wish to equate prolific publicist and bright as it suits your perma-posting, always correct style.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Sounds like the LDs are thinking.

The very last thing the LDs should do is back someone who carries Coalition baggage.

Lab and LD do well when they complement one another

• Options
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

The other day he was noisily hailing the lack of chaos following Brexit Day as yet further evidence of Remainer "Project Fear" being pure paranoia and scaremongering.

It was as if he chose to forget there was a Transition and thus no practical change in order to make a fake point to the more uninformed - i.e. a considerable number - of his Leave followers.

Is this what you mean by "bright"? Exploiting the dim?
    How very dare he exploit the dim.

That's been Labour's USP.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    DavidL said:

Foxy said:

Perhaps.

But that is because they eat the same pie. If the Lib Dem’s want to break through they need a new pie.
    The LibDems are focused on nothing more than an existence as a Labour mini me. I don't know when they will work out that the 40 odd Tory seats they can win are seats that swing from Right to Centre Left and back again. In order to have a future of any consequence they need to attract 80 to 100 seats from the Left, which implies they need to displace Labour.

With any modicum of skill, nous and sense they could have galloped along a successful electoral road in 2015, 2017 and 2019. I doubt they will have another chance for a few election cycles, unless Labour continue on the path set out by JC
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,870
    HYUFD said:

He is an absolute donkey, your typical thick greedy Tory. Can lie to your face and happy to do so as he fills his pockets with public money. A complete and utter no-user who achieved zero in his 20 years as an MEP.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,331
    edited February 2020
    DavidL said:

I agree that criticising the former leadership for attacking Labour is a strange place to start. Firstly, I don’t think that they did, the emphasis was all on being the anti Brexit party. Secondly, failing to attack Labour with the problems they had was a strategic mistake of epic proportions. It is unlikely Labour will be so vulnerable again and the road back to relevance looks long and complicated.

It's complex and I think Mike is too emphatic with stating it as "flawed" as a statement of fact. The flat refusal to contemplate working with Labour under Corbyn protected their flank in the Tory seats which they hoped (but mostly failed) to get, while alienating a great many tactical Labour votes by feeding the "just light blue Tory" narrative. Apparently soft Tory voters tend to be sympathetic and encouraging but end up voting Tory in the end just the same (cf. BigG, who could not have been more anti-Boris until he became leader, then...).

It would IMO have been wiser to attack Labour *policy* while saying that post-election negotiations depended on what the voters delivered. I know LibDem candidates in two of their target seats who are immensely frustrated that she prevented them getting sufficient tactical Labour votes with that one statement.

But it was undoubtedly awkward. I'd guess that if Labour has leadership seen as moderate then it'll be easier next time - and a mistake for the LibDems to be as immovable on the issue.
  • Options

Perhaps there is an inner steel but his key skill over the last few years appears to be keeping his head down and avoiding responsibility.
  • Options
    edited February 2020

Yes, I`m sure she is. I expect the LibDems to be a Rejoin party. I see nothing wrong with this. Most (not me) LibDems would agree with this policy, though whether it will be electorally popular is another matter.

Of more significance will be Labour`s position on this.
  • Options

SKS will not be troubling the new LibDem leader for the Chat Show Charlie position. Dull but competent won't get any new leader onto Graham Norton and even Question Time would be pushing it.

There might be another problem with Wera's premature declaration if it signals a naive openness to answering any question within earshot. Arguably this is what trapped Jo Swinson into a number of self-defeating positions.
    The real problem is that Jo wanted to talk about such stuff. She was happier talking about gender politics and sexuality than about health, housing or transport, which isn’t a great place to be particularly if you are foolish enough to allow colleagues to talk you into presenting yourself as next PM.

She was a great member of the team and it is sad that circumstances and an enforced paucity of choice thrust her into the wrong role at the wrong time.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

He is an absolute donkey, your typical thick greedy Tory. Can lie to your face and happy to do so as he fills his pockets with public money. A complete and utter no-user who achieved zero in his 20 years as an MEP.
    On the other hand there’s no evidence that he wants to get in the pants of 16year olds while filling his pockets with public money like a thick SNP sexpest. So that’s a mark in his favour.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

I disagree Malcolm. IMO Hannan is clever... like weasel or a fox
  • Options
    woody662woody662 Posts: 255
    malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

He was one of the first to campaign for us to leave via his Direct Democracy books together with Douglas Carswell. I think he's happy with that legacy.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

... Starmer may not be such a bad choice; his weaknesses are being boring and appearing a little too flexible in what he believes and stands for.

He should post on PB then :D

Many of the more partisan posters on here are definitely "flexible" belief-wise
  • Options

Labour don't need to gain 123 seats at the next general election. 65 would probably do. Even 60 might.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

tlg86 said:

TGOHF666 said:

And with the same geographical dispersion.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

tlg86 said:

TGOHF666 said:

Being a christian* is not a problem. Being a bigoted christian* is a problem

* Insert whatever religion is required
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Yes, I`m sure she is. I expect the LibDems to be a Rejoin party. I see nothing wrong with this. Most (not me) LibDems would agree with this policy, though whether it will be electorally popular is another matter.

Of more significance will be Labour`s position on this.
    They should be a ‘rejoin when the time is right’ party and then try to avoid banging on about it. Voters mostly know they are the anti Brexit party by now, and whether or not this eventually turns into an advantage depends wholly on circumstances beyond their control. Meanwhile try to find some other issues to major on.
  • Options
    RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,157
    edited February 2020

DavidL said:

It's complex and I think Mike is too emphatic with stating it as "flawed" as a statement of fact. The flat refusal to contemplate working with Labour under Corbyn protected their flank in the Tory seats which they hoped (but mostly failed) to get, while alienating a great many tactical Labour votes by feeding the "just light blue Tory" narrative. Apparently soft Tory voters tend to be sympathetic and encouraging but end up voting Tory in the end just the same (cf. BigG, who could not have been more anti-Boris until he became leader, then...).

It would IMO have been wiser to attack Labour *policy* while saying that post-election negotiations depended on what the voters delivered. I know LibDem candidates in two of their target seats who are immensely frustrated that she prevented them getting sufficient tactical Labour votes with that one statement.

But it was undoubtedly awkward. I'd guess that if Labour has leadership seen as moderate then it'll be easier next time - and a mistake for the LibDems to be as immovable on the issue.
    If Jo Swinson had been more open to supporting Labour, she'd still likely be an MP, if not leader of the party. Pro-UK SLAB voters would have been more willing to vote for her in her constituency, and indy-curious ones less likely to vote for the SNP.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

tlg86 said:

TGOHF666 said:

Brits generally see religion as a private matter, and don’t take kindly to those who try to thrust it upon them. It only becomes a problem for a politician if they fall into the latter category, or if there’s a suspicion that their particular beliefs might overly influence their political choices.

Even Blair waited until leaving office before coming out as a catholic.
  • Options
    Mr. B2, potential problem for the Lib Dems is that if they don't stay full-blown for rejoining immediately then they could risk losing support to a pro-EU version of UKIP (UKEU?).
  • Options

Mr. B2, potential problem for the Lib Dems is that if they don't stay full-blown for rejoining immediately then they could risk losing support to a pro-EU version of UKIP (UKEU?).

Lol. Like who?

I can’t see this happening.
  • Options
    O/T did anyone get the weekly email from Popbitch yesterday?
  • Options
    Mr. B2, the established parties didn't see UKIP coming either.

New parties can come about and gain popular support relatively swiftly. We've seen it happen here. UKIP didn't get much in the Commons but did achieve its ultimate aim.
  • Options
    matt said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

On the other hand there’s no evidence that he wants to get in the pants of 16year olds while filling his pockets with public money like a thick SNP sexpest. So that’s a mark in his favour.
    Typical crass unionist post , limited intelligence to get beyond SNPBAD, everything through prism of hating SNP rather than comment on the topic in hand.
    Why not regale me with the donkeys achievements in 20 years as a troughing nonentity.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    matt said:

HYUFD said:

I find myself thinking whether you wish to equate prolific publicist and bright as it suits your perma-posting, always correct style.
    He has a 1st from Oxford and obviously a lot brighter than you and your usual pompous irrelevant posts
  • Options
    So, where are we on Iowa? BBC seems to be saying 100% votes and counted and it's Pete's.

BF not paid out yet though.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    HYUFD said:

matt said:

HYUFD said:

He has a 1st from Oxford and obviously a lot brighter than you and your usual pompous irrelevant posts
    Mate, I've got a 1st and a PhD, Hannan is a idiot.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

I disagree Malcolm. IMO Hannan is clever... like weasel or a fox
    You may well be correct Beverly , a devious little rat.
  • Options

DavidL said:

I think that is the wrong way around Nick. This time Labour were foolish enough to go into an election with someone very few thought was fit to be PM. Labour were very vulnerable and personal attacks on Corbyn by the Lib Dems may well have produced dividends. Next time, if it is the likes of Starmer, they will be finding themselves squeezed/
  • Options

algarkirk said:

tlg86 said:

TGOHF666 said:

If you are a LD maybe
  • Options
    Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

matt said:

HYUFD said:

No he is not and a 1st from Oxford is rather different to a 1st elsewhere.

He is certainly brighter than the current crop of Labour leadership candidates
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    HYUFD said:

matt said:

HYUFD said:

You don’t know who I am, what my academics are, what my career history is or what I do. Yet you’re an expert on it, like you think you are on everything else.
  • Options
    Tories struggling to find policies to implement are concentrating on the big items
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/anger-councils-told-fly-flags-21441826
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I think that is the wrong way around Nick. This time Labour were foolish enough to go into an election with someone very few thought was fit to be PM. Labour were very vulnerable and personal attacks on Corbyn by the Lib Dems may well have produced dividends. Next time, if it is the likes of Starmer, they will be finding themselves squeezed/
    2019 should have been the equivalent of 1983.

In 1983 Labour led the Alliance by only 2.2%

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1983_United_Kingdom_general_election

whereas in 2019 Labour were 20.6% ahead of the LibDems:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_United_Kingdom_general_election
  • Options

How very dare he exploit the dim.

That's been Labour's USP.

Well you know my feelings on this. I am against both extremes of pandering or patronizing (which arguably are one and the same thing). Lay out your stall - values and policies - and seek to persuade. If voters have got the wrong end of the stick about your offering, you calmly and sensitively seek to put them right. If voters appear to want things that you disagree with, that you think they ought not to want, you explain (but respectfully) why you are right and they are wrong. And then, end of the day, you leave them with it, with the choice -

"This is who we are. This is how we see the world. This is what we plan to do in office. Vote for us if you share that vision and trust us to deliver. And if you don't, despite all of our sincere and determined efforts to convince you, well OK, just fuck off and either stay at home or vote for somebody else."

This is our democracy. It is messy and often frustrating for the progressive Left but it's what we have and we must work with it.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,378
    edited February 2020
    HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

matt said:

HYUFD said:

David Miliband also has a first from Oxford, the dump hands firsts out like confetti.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,915
    He listened to the Corbynite labelled an ‘Economic Commentator’ without interruption, then was not allowed to give his point of view without the other two talking over him. Her astonishment when he walked off says it all, she thinks she should be able to just give her opinion then not listen

https://twitter.com/bloggerheads/status/1225693420879925249?s=21
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

matt said:

HYUFD said:

No it bloody isn't (I know because I've got one). Overvaluation of the place by people who weren't there is even more embarrassing than overvaluation by people who were.
  • Options

The European Parliament could pass legislation the Commons disagrees with. The Lords can not.

Nor can the Lords (ultimately) prevent the Commons passing, changing or repealing any law.

Its not the same thing as all.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,658

It is surely reasonable to assume that if Starmer becomes leader and if Labour gain a reasonable number of seats at the next GE, he'll be given two GEs to achieve power.
  • Options

The European Parliament could pass legislation the Commons disagrees with. The Lords can not.

Nor can the Lords (ultimately) prevent the Commons passing, changing or repealing any law.

Tell me how I can get rid of an unelected politician like Lord Hannan?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    @rcs1000

FPT - looting India

They didn’t take the value created while they were there. They took 800 years of collected assets including all the stuff the Moghuls stripped out of Persia

For example, the University of Westminster was founded and endowed with the proceeds of one man’s career in India
  • Options
    Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

So your more concerned about the allegations that his behaviour in the Chair? For me , I`m far more concerned about the latter (i.e. his impartiality and non-adherance to convention).
    Impartiality and adherance to convention are important for a Speaker and what should be an impartial crossbencher.

However if he's intending to go to the Lords not as a crossbencher but as a Labour Lord then his lack of impartiality is less of an issue there. Plus seeing Bercow confirmed as a Labour Lord would confirm what we've known for the last few years.

The allegations are more important. If he abused his power in Parliament he shouldn't be allowed back into Parliament. If he hasn't then if he wishes to be a Labour Lord and Labour wish to bestow it upon him then that will just confirm what we already knew.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    IanB2 said:

As I said yesterday, the next leader’s job is to put Labour back on its feet, reestablish some credibility, marginalise or expel the nutters, sort out its policy offering and then go down to a heroic defeat, trimming the Tory majority. And maybe rinse and repeat. Then hand over to someone from the next generation able to map out and inspire people to follow a path to make the party relevant to the 21st century. Starmer may not be such a bad choice; his weaknesses are being boring and appearing a little too flexible in what he believes and stands for.
    IanB2 said:

The Tories emerged from the 1959 election with 365 seats - the same as 2019 . In 1964 , they fell back to 303 seats.
  • Options

Labour don't need to gain 123 seats at the next general election. 65 would probably do. Even 60 might.
    To be a majority government they need 123 plus but a minority or coalition maybe
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

matt said:

HYUFD said:

What an arrogant and insulting post
  • Options

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

Impartiality and adherance to convention are important for a Speaker and what should be an impartial crossbencher.

However if he's intending to go to the Lords not as a crossbencher but as a Labour Lord then his lack of impartiality is less of an issue there. Plus seeing Bercow confirmed as a Labour Lord would confirm what we've known for the last few years.

The allegations are more important. If he abused his power in Parliament he shouldn't be allowed back into Parliament. If he hasn't then if he wishes to be a Labour Lord and Labour wish to bestow it upon him then that will just confirm what we already knew.
    There should be a restraining order keeping Becow 3 miles from the Palace of Westminster.
  • Options

Vote for a party with a manifesto commitment to do away with the House of Lords.

Rather like voting for Brexit. That got rid of our MEPs.
  • Options

1: Elect a majority in the Commons who wishes to use the Parliament Act and Lord Hannan is moot.
    2: Elect a majority in the Commons who wishes to abolish the Lords and it is gone.

Personally I think we should rename the House of Lords if we're going to keep it. Change the Parliament Act so that the Commons can override the Lords after a week not a year - and within the same session too.

Rename it to something like the Privy Council and cease to call the Lords "politicians". Have the Commons as our unicameral chamber but the renamed Lords can be there to advise changes to laws but not force anything.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

matt said:

HYUFD said:

To be fair Oxford 1sts are not what they used to be - far more are given out than in the 1950s and 1960s. The curse of grade inflation has appeared everywhere.
  • Options
    Super soaraway London is still leaving the rest of the country in its wake:

https://twitter.com/ONS/status/1225714468774187009
  • Options
    edited February 2020

1: Elect a majority in the Commons who wishes to use the Parliament Act and Lord Hannan is moot.
    2: Elect a majority in the Commons who wishes to abolish the Lords and it is gone.

Personally I think we should rename the House of Lords if we're going to keep it. Change the Parliament Act so that the Commons can override the Lords after a week not a year - and within the same session too.

Rename it to something like the Privy Council and cease to call the Lords "politicians". Have the Commons as our unicameral chamber but the renamed Lords can be there to advise changes to laws but not force anything.
    Your final point is interesting but I’m not sure that it’s any different, in practice, to “civil servants advise and Ministers decide”. If a government decides to do something, people who advise differently are not necessarily listened to. The Minister will see it as a legitimacy question (look at the Universal Credit implementation as an example in practice).
  • Options
    I’m shocked. Philip Schofield comes out as gay.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

The Tories emerged from the 1959 election with 365 seats - the same as 2019 . In 1964 , they fell back to 303 seats.

Following the Profumo scandal. Not hard to imagine a 2023 equivalent involving Dominic Raab.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

2019 should have been the equivalent of 1983.

In 1983 Labour led the Alliance by only 2.2%

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1983_United_Kingdom_general_election

whereas in 2019 Labour were 20.6% ahead of the LibDems:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_United_Kingdom_general_election
    Agreed. There is always going to be a party of the centre right and it is not likely to be the Lib Dems. They had a chance to push a staggeringly inept Labour party out of the way and they fluffed it.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

To be fair Oxford 1sts are not what they used to be - far more are given out than in the 1950s and 1960s. The curse of grade inflation has appeared everywhere.

Still good though, a 1st from anywhere. You can only beat what's in front of you.
  • Options

DavidL said:

I think you've got that completely backwards. I fail to see how their flank got protected in Tory seats when the Lib Dems were a mammoth 32.0% behind the Tories and 20.6% behind Labour.

In comparison in 1983 when they were properly prepared to attack both parties the Alliance were just 2.2% behind Labour and just 17% behind the Tories.

If 2019 was the Lib Dems 'Tory flank' being protected I'd love to know how they perform if that flank failed.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

So, where are we on Iowa? BBC seems to be saying 100% votes and counted and it's Pete's.

1764 out of 1765 Iowa precincts reporting according to Politico.

https://www.politico.com/2020-election/results/iowa/
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

justin124 said:

Following the Profumo scandal. Not hard to imagine a 2023 equivalent involving Dominic Raab.
    Raab ???

I can think of someone else who its a lot easier to imagine involved in some lifestyle scandal.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

I don't understand how this is possible.

Weren't the precincts counted at the time with everyone stood there. How frigging difficult is it for that final precinct to call its result in?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189

Thanks in part to immigrants like @Casino_Royale :wink:
  • Options
    BigRich said:

NBC reporting all the precincts are in.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/nbc-news-review-iowa-caucus-vote-finds-potential-errors-inconsistencies-n1132011

Sounds like now that the lawyers are in as well.
  • Options

I’m shocked. Philip Schofield comes out as gay.

Is Gordon the Gopher going to 'tell all' about what happened in the cupboard?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,500
    edited February 2020

algarkirk said:

tlg86 said:

TGOHF666 said:

I'd rephrase that "being a Christian with personal opinions that bigots can't stand" is a problem. Lib Dems are not the tolerant party they were.

Hobhouse has interesting background, and her religion seems to be relatively decaffeinated on Christian specifics - not surprising from someone with Jewish family background.

On the leadership, I'd say she would not have much impact. IMO LDs need to come to terms with the inconvenient fact that they hate themselves for their most successful period.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,881

We have a Lord Hannan? What fantastic news.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,881

BigRich said:

NBC reporting all the precincts are in.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/nbc-news-review-iowa-caucus-vote-finds-potential-errors-inconsistencies-n1132011

Sounds like now that the lawyers are in as well.
    What a total and utter farce. Even now, they’re still arguing about errors in the results, and the DNC chair is calling for the whole thing to be re-run.

Pleased I’ve not got any bets on this, it’s looking more and more likely to end up with a void market.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,500
    edited February 2020
    tlg86 said:

Thanks in part to immigrants like @Casino_Royale :wink:
    East Midlands doing well. Imagine how much better it will be once the buggers build HS2 !

Incidentally, the plonkerlike MP for Ashfield seems to have been on anti-plonker training. Gave a competent interview I saw yesterday without pratfalls. Not a singe attempt at media-fraud.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

justin124 said:

Still good though, a 1st from anywhere. You can only beat what's in front of you.
    It is all relative though. I am sure that quite a few students awarded relatively good 2.2s in the 1970s would receive 1st class degrees today.
This discussion has been closed.