Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Johnson coming under pressure to sack the Number 10 advisor wh

Comments

• Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,008
    Bear in mind that as of the beginning of Conservative-only governments in 2015, it has been legal for special advisors to instruct civil servants to conduct policy directly, without the direct instruction of ministers. In other words, Grant Shapps may well go up to the despatch box to defend a Sabisky policy without having actually ordered it.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,974
    kinabalu said:

Actually more relevant than ever as Boris breaks down the norms around ministerial accountability.

We still don’t have the full details on L’Affaire Arcuri, nor who paid for that villa.

We do urgently need an answer on the villa. 55 year old men with good jobs and money in the bank usually pay for their own holidays. And more generally if Johnson is taking emoluments from 3rd parties, the country has a right to know who they are and what the quid pro quo might be. We can shrug and say it's just "Boris being Boris" but it must be a properly informed shrug.
    Yet to see that Russian report either.
  • Options
    Surely it won't be long before we're hearing that the female underclass should be impregnated with Cummings's DNA in order to raise the national IQ mean.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    edited February 2020
    malcolmg said:

matt said:

Andy_JS said:

"Husband of business minister Amanda Solloway in 11-year ban

The department now run by the newly promoted minister disqualified her spouse from running a company until April 2029"

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/husband-of-business-minister-amanda-solloway-in-11-year-ban-hfg7097x5

Are you suggesting that she should be considered a chattel and not an individual?
    Typical Tories , all bent as a three bob bit
    How do you know her spouse is a Tory, or are you suggesting she was in on it as well?
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    edited February 2020

Andy_JS said:

The department now run by the newly promoted minister disqualified her spouse from running a company until April 2029"

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/husband-of-business-minister-amanda-solloway-in-11-year-ban-hfg7097x5

Not sure that is relevant in these days
    Actually more relevant than ever as Boris breaks down the norms around ministerial accountability.

We still don’t have the full details on L’Affaire Arcuri, nor who paid for that villa.
    It is accepted that a woman is not dependent on her husband and vice versa

If she is involved that is different, but I assume you are not accusing her of this
    Don’t be so pompous.
    Haven’t you heard of Caesar’s wife?
  • Options

This is a Westminster bubble story.
    Much more concerning are the leaked plans to eviscerate the BBC.

I wouldn't worry about the BBC, the probability that anything will happen is inversely proportional to the amount of "leaking" of the government's intentions.
    Former Culture Sec John Whittingdale is back at the DCMS as a Junior Minister. He does not like Auntie; it must mean something; is this the first time this has happened?
  • Options

I wouldn't worry about the BBC, the probability that anything will happen is inversely proportional to the amount of "leaking" of the government's intentions.
    Former Culture Sec John Whittingdale is back at the DCMS as a Junior Minister. He does not like Auntie; it must mean something; is this the first time this has happened?
    Whittingdale is a one-man Profumo affair waiting to happen.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    RobD said:

malcolmg said:

matt said:

Andy_JS said:

Are you suggesting that she should be considered a chattel and not an individual?
    How do you know her spouse is a Tory, or are you suggesting she was in on it as well?
    Did I mention her name, I merely said Tories are usually bent , they continually prove the norm. I doubt her husband is a Labour or Lib Dem supporter and he must have done something naughty to have been banned for 11 years.
    Typical Tory trying to deflect from the common dishonesty we see from them, day in and day out.
    PS: I have never heard of or seen the nonentity in my life till the posts here. Another of Boris's pygmies.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

Endillion said:

viewcode said:

Endillion said:

viewcode said:

The left was warned that if they opened up the debate on economics that the Thatcher-Blair settlement had ended, the right would respond by opening up the field of culture that the left considers their established domain.

Well, they didn't listen, so here it is. Enjoy!

You're so right. It's the nasty Left who are just making you do it. Your advocacy of eugenics and sterilization of people you don't like is entirely somebody else's fault and nothing to do with you, oh dear me no.
    Right then. Can you please link to the bit where this person I've never heard of has advocated either eugenics or enforced sterilisation?
    https://www7.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2020/02/16/johnson-coming-under-pressure-to-sack-the-number-10-advisor-who-backs-forced-sterilisation/

Nice try. That's pb.com's reporting of Red Roar's mischaracterisation of what the bloke actually said. The video it's referencing does not contain the word "sterlisation". Or "eugenics".

Where in his original words does he advocate either eugenics or enforced sterilisation?
    https://schoolsweek.co.uk/andrew-sabisky-political-forecaster/

"Eugenics are about selecting ‘for’ good things,” he says. “Intelligence is largely inherited and it correlates with better outcomes: physical health, income, lower mental illness. There is no downside to having IQ except short-sightedness"
    So that's a quote from him that references eugenics. It's extremely unclear whether or not he's advocating it, but we can agree to disagree on the precise meaning of what he's trying to say. At the very least I can agree that even mentioning the word is extremely problematic for anyone remotely near front-line politics.

This is progress. Excellent. Now, where does he advocate enforced sterilisation, please?
    It took me about 30 seconds to dig that link out of Google. This one took a little longer.

"One way to get around the problems of unplanned pregnancies creating a permanent underclass would be to legally enforce universal uptake of long-term contraception at the onset of puberty"

https://dominiccummings.com/2014/08/19/standin-by-the-window-where-the-light-is-strong-de-extinction-machine-intelligence-the-search-for-extra-solar-life-neural-networks-autonomous-drone-swarms-bombing-parliament-genetics-amp/#comment-432

Do your own digging. I am not your servant.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,782
    edited February 2020
    Endillion said:

Endillion said:

viewcode said:

Endillion said:

viewcode said:

The left was warned that if they opened up the debate on economics that the Thatcher-Blair settlement had ended, the right would respond by opening up the field of culture that the left considers their established domain.

You're so right. It's the nasty Left who are just making you do it. Your advocacy of eugenics and sterilization of people you don't like is entirely somebody else's fault and nothing to do with you, oh dear me no.
    Right then. Can you please link to the bit where this person I've never heard of has advocated either eugenics or enforced sterilisation?
    https://www7.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2020/02/16/johnson-coming-under-pressure-to-sack-the-number-10-advisor-who-backs-forced-sterilisation/

Nice try. That's pb.com's reporting of Red Roar's mischaracterisation of what the bloke actually said. The video it's referencing does not contain the word "sterlisation". Or "eugenics".

Where in his original words does he advocate either eugenics or enforced sterilisation?

"Eugenics are about selecting ‘for’ good things,” he says. “Intelligence is largely inherited and it correlates with better outcomes: physical health, income, lower mental illness. There is no downside to having IQ except short-sightedness"
    So that's a quote from him that references eugenics. It's extremely unclear whether or not he's advocating it, but we can agree to disagree on the precise meaning of what he's trying to say. At the very least I can agree that even mentioning the word is extremely problematic for anyone remotely near front-line politics.

This is progress. Excellent. Now, where does he advocate enforced sterilisation, please?
    Well, you could go with “One way to get around problems of unplanned pregnancies creating a permanent underclass would be to legally enforce universal uptake of long-term contraception at the onset of puberty,", if you like. Unless you're planning to argue that there's a difference between "enforce...long-term contraception" with "enforced sterilisation".
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,353
    So much for all the doom-mongers who thought England were going to lose against the Saffers….
  • Options

Endillion said:

Endillion said:

viewcode said:

Endillion said:

viewcode said:

It took me about 30 seconds to dig that link out of Google. This one took a little longer.

"One way to get around the problems of unplanned pregnancies creating a permanent underclass would be to legally enforce universal uptake of long-term contraception at the onset of puberty"

https://dominiccummings.com/2014/08/19/standin-by-the-window-where-the-light-is-strong-de-extinction-machine-intelligence-the-search-for-extra-solar-life-neural-networks-autonomous-drone-swarms-bombing-parliament-genetics-amp/#comment-432

Well done Bev, these toerags just cannot accept how nasty the people they worship really are.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Endillion said:

viewcode said:

Endillion said:

viewcode said:

As unpalatable as it might be, it's already done with abortions of babies with severe disabilities.
    A decision for parents in a dreadful situation is rather different from mandating the destruction of babies for no reason other than they failed to make an arbitrary cut.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Endillion said:

Endillion said:

viewcode said:

Endillion said:

viewcode said:

Well, you could go with “One way to get around problems of unplanned pregnancies creating a permanent underclass would be to legally enforce universal uptake of long-term contraception at the onset of puberty,", if you like. Unless you're planning to argue that there's a difference between "enforce...long-term contraception" with "enforced sterilisation".
    Contraception isn't sterilisation, or have I missed something?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

matt said:

Andy_JS said:

Did I mention her name, I merely said Tories are usually bent , they continually prove the norm. I doubt her husband is a Labour or Lib Dem supporter and he must have done something naughty to have been banned for 11 years.
    Typical Tory trying to deflect from the common dishonesty we see from them, day in and day out.
    PS: I have never heard of or seen the nonentity in my life till the posts here. Another of Boris's pygmies.
    You actually said they are all bent, rather than usually bent. ;)
  • Options
    If you was wondering about the kind of thing that will scupper you after five years of your government, this is it. Do you really think half-brain-deployed comments about poor people are going to hold up the red wall, if anti-EU forces are no longer running interference for you on social media?
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    viewcode said:

Endillion said:

Endillion said:

viewcode said:

Endillion said:

viewcode said:

SNIP
    What is the difference wise sage, you don't think these ghastly people would not make it 50-60 years ie same as sterilisation. Get a grip on reality you halfwitted cretin.
    PS: Be a few on here in the enforcement squads for sure, carrying out their heroes programmes.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,995

Blue sky thinking is not going to be universally popular. Let the case be made in full and argued down, I say.

I have some highly controversial views on what should happen for lives blighted by demntia. They might be quite mainstream by the end of this century.

Does it involve becoming Democratic nominee?
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,304
    edited February 2020
    ----
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Blue sky thinking is not going to be universally popular. Let the case be made in full and argued down, I say.

I have some highly controversial views on what should happen for lives blighted by demntia. They might be quite mainstream by the end of this century.

Genuine :lol:
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    edited February 2020
    I have actually voted Tory in the past. I voted for Cameron and for Major. I have never liked the nastier undertones from the hard left. I am not a natural lefty.

But by hell, this current Tory govt are filth.

I never thought they could go like this.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,242
    rcs1000 said:

The Republican trial hasn’t exactly been an unqualified success.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    RobD said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

matt said:

Andy_JS said:

I am sure there are a few good Tories but they are thin on the ground.
    PS: Though it is getting harder to spot them
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

viewcode said:

Endillion said:

Endillion said:

viewcode said:

Endillion said:

What is the difference wise sage, you don't think these ghastly people would not make it 50-60 years ie same as sterilisation. Get a grip on reality you halfwitted cretin.
    You've confused me with @Endillion , @malcolmg . I'm the one who's saying there isn't a difference between "enforced long-term contraception" and "enforced sterilisation".
  • Options
    RobD said:

viewcode said:

Endillion said:

Endillion said:

viewcode said:

Endillion said:

viewcode said:

See @malcolmg's comment and my reply to it
  • Options
    RobD said:

viewcode said:

You have missed that the "onset of puberty" will mean Boris handing out free contraceptives to nine-year-old girls, and 12-year-old girls. My advice: don't google it.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

malcolmg said:

viewcode said:

Endillion said:

Endillion said:

viewcode said:

Endillion said:

You've confused me with @Endillion , @malcolmg . I'm the one who's saying there isn't a difference between "enforced long-term contraception" and "enforced sterilisation".
    Apologies Viewcode, we are in agreement on how nasty these people are, their sycophants are blind to any criticism of them regardless of how bad they act.@viewcode
  • Options

The irony is that it had been the right, Trump and now Johnson, that had returned to the borrow and spend economics of the late 60s and early 70s.

In the US, Trump is about to run the biggest deficit outside the context of the Great Recession. And current plans in the UK, while more modest, also assume a large late cycle loosening.

As a believer in sound money and small government, I despair.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,641

Endillion said:

Endillion said:

viewcode said:

Endillion said:

viewcode said:

Right then. Can you please link ?

So that's a quote

Quite apart from the authoritarian aspect of this proposal, incompatible with the principle of consent and the casual incel type misogyny, it really is quite contemptuous of the working class. I cannot imagine he means to treat nice upper class girls this way, such as his own sisters or nieces, or the daughters of Jacob Rees Mogg. It is an attitude to these young girls reminiscent of a Rochdale taxi driver.

Indeed if we are planning to enforce such a policy, wouldn't we be better off forcibly castrating our notoriously sexually incontinent Prime Minister?

• Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

matt said:

Andy_JS said:

Perhaps you mean 'under the ground'!
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    viewcode said:

Endillion said:

Yes, I am absolutely planning to argue that.

The key words are "unplanned pregnancies". That's the phrase that makes it clear that "long-term contraception" means from the onset of puberty at (say) age 12-15, for (say) 5-12 years. Not "until menopause".
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981
    rcs1000 said:

The irony is that it had been the right, Trump and now Johnson, that had returned to the borrow and spend economics of the late 60s and early 70s.

In the US, Trump is about to run the biggest deficit outside the context of the Great Recession. And current plans in the UK, while more modest, also assume a large late cycle loosening.

What else can Government's do though? At this stage you would usually be cutting interest rates slightly to ease consumer spending a bit but as rates never
    recovered to sane levels that isn't an option.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Indeed if we are planning to enforce such a policy, wouldn't we be better off forcibly castrating our notoriously sexually incontinent Prime Minister?

With a blunt knife? A la FGM style? After all, FGM is just so much hysteria, apparently.....
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

I have actually voted Tory in the past. I voted for Cameron and for Major. I have never liked the nastier undertones from the hard left. I am not a natural lefty.

I did. FPTP, no written constitution, very few checks and balances, plus the infantile attitude supported by both main parties that a government needs a majority of at least 50-100 and that a hung parliament isn't a 'real' government.
  • Options
    Boris needs to issue a statement explaining what 'long-term contraception' is, how it is medically possible and how it differs from 'sterilization'. He must also clarify whether or not this is to become government policy. If so, what characteristics will determine who is to be inducted into the programme. You can't be fairer than that.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Inevitable, given Brexit.

A populist tide, restricting economic growth through the re-erection of trade barriers, has to pursue “borrow and spend”.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,007
    edited February 2020

So the young, who vote Labour, don't see the point of the BBC.

Meanwhile the old, who vote Tory, watch it 24/7.

So which party wants rid?

Wait until middle england finds out Radio 2 is to be binned.

MPs will not know what has hit them.
    Why would one of the most popular radio stations in the country be under threat. I think it is much more likely R3 would be under threat as would the niche stations like Asian Network.
    Much as I like R2 there is no cultural need for it, R3 on the other hand is a global bastion of serious classical music.

The ST reports the Government wants the BBC to safeguard R3 but hard to see how that will happen without some form of government subsidy
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    if moaning about a SPAD no one has heard of is the best the opposition to BoJo can come up with he's on for a free ride.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    HYUFD said:

Why would one of the most popular radio stations in the country be under threat. I think it is much more likely R3 would be under threat as would the niche stations like Asian Network.
    Much as I like R2 there is no cultural need for it, R3 on the other hand is a global bastion of serious classical music.

The ST reports the Government wants the BBC to safeguard it but hard to see how that will happen without some form of government subsidy
    Even R2 helps maintain the British pop industry. It’s not “high brow”, but has probably done more for British soft power than anything else.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

The ST reports the Government wants the BBC to safeguard it but hard to see how that will happen without some form of government subsidy
    Even R2 helps maintain the British pop industry. It’s not “high brow”, but has probably done more for British soft power than anything else.
    What does R2 do that Heart or other radio stations can't do and why should we be taxed to pay for R2 just by virtue of watching TV?
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    ---
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited February 2020

Proving my point. David Cameron also put him at DCMS when he had no intention of doing anything about the Beeb, Cameroonians love the BBC. It's a token gesture to keep conservatives onside rather than a signal they're serious about it.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,311
    edited February 2020
    dr_spyn said:

Learned nothing and forgotten nothing.

https://twitter.com/labour_history/status/1207614350363631616

The whole thread on Labour's responses to 1983 is worth a read, how far the same problems remain, is another matter.

Learned nothing and forgotten everything, surely!
  • Options
    Endillion said:

viewcode said:

Endillion said:

The key words are "unplanned pregnancies". That's the phrase that makes it clear that "long-term contraception" means from the onset of puberty at (say) age 12-15, for (say) 5-12 years. Not "until menopause".
    Well, if you're comfortable with characterising the enforcement of long-term contraception on other people without their consent for an undetermined period described as "long-term" as "not sterilisation", I'm not sure there's anything I can do to help you.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

viewcode said:

Endillion said:

What will determine who will be eligible for the programme though? Will it be parental income, IQ, place of birth or some other characteristic? We need to know fully how it will work before we can properly assess.
  • Options

if moaning about a SPAD no one has heard of is the best the opposition to BoJo can come up with he's on for a free ride.

Wait until NI votes to leave
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,007
    Cyclefree said:

Re this story - https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/new-chancellor-rishi-sunak-cashed-in-on-fund-that-helped-break-banks-rb7zgfqkz - and in response to @Philip_Thompson.

I make no accusations against Sunak personally. But the role of TCI, one other fund and a well known US bank, along with various other funds with close links to RBS, has never been properly or fully told. It does not reflect well on them, the banks involved or the relevant regulatory authorities

Some might consider that some of what went on was potentially criminal.

I could not possibly comment.

Unfortunately for Rishi Sunak if he became party leader Labour would exploit his investment decisions and hedge fund past as the Democrats did with Mitt Romney and his private equity background, he is best sticking to his brief as Chancellor
  • Options

RobD said:

viewcode said:

You have missed that the "onset of puberty" will mean Boris handing out free contraceptives to nine-year-old girls, and 12-year-old girls. My advice: don't google it.
    They don't plan to hand it out , they plan to "enforce" it.
  • Options

You do realise the TV Poll Tax is a regressive, er, tax?
  • Options
    Germany has a television licence, as does most of Europe. #Brexit or something.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_licence
  • Options
    justin124 said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

matt said:

Andy_JS said:

Did I mention her name, I merely said Tories are usually bent , they continually prove the norm. I doubt her husband is a Labour or Lib :D Dem supporter and he must have done something naughty to have been banned for 11 years.
    Perhaps you mean 'under the ground'!
    :D my mistake
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,311
    edited February 2020

I did. FPTP, no written constitution, very few checks and balances, plus the infantile attitude supported by both main parties that a government needs a majority of at least 50-100 and that a hung parliament isn't a 'real' government.
    "Now, boy, witness the firepower of this fully armed and operational Tory Majority!"
    [into intercom]
    "Legislate at will, Prime Minister!"
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,548
    edited February 2020
    Foxy said:

Endillion said:

Endillion said:

viewcode said:

Endillion said:

viewcode said:

Right then. Can you please link ?

So that's a quote

, it really is quite contemptuous of the working class.

So that's the Fabian playbook as used to be.

IIRC William Beveridge addressed the Eugenics Society on the same day that Parliament Debated his report...
  • Options
    speedy2speedy2 Posts: 981
    I'm against eugenics.

"Master Race" crap.

The Sabisky affair is the first proper blunter of this government, they should have sacked him already.
  • Options

Endillion said:

viewcode said:

Endillion said:

What will determine who will be eligible for the programme though? Will it be parental income, IQ, place of birth or some other characteristic? We need to know fully how it will work before we can properly assess.
    Okay, this is getting silly. No-one is seriously suggesting this as government policy. The question seems to be whether or not ever having articulated this view immediately disqualifies him from working in government.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Endillion said:

viewcode said:

Endillion said:

Well, if you're comfortable with characterising the enforcement of long-term contraception on other people without their consent for an undetermined period described as "long-term" as "not sterilisation", I'm not sure there's anything I can do to help you.
    I'm not generally comfortable with making anything compulsory, but if we're going to start enforcing something medical how about starting with vaccinations?

Contraception (voluntary) and education to prevent unplanned pregnancies are a good thing. Blue skies thinking and saying the unthinkable can also be a good thing too.

If people explored everything any of us had ever said I'm sure they'd find some uncomfortable stuff especially if they're looking to put a bad spin on it and/or take it out of context. Somehow I seriously doubt enforced contraception is going to be government policy.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

You realise that's not an argument in favour, don't you?
  • Options

Replace the TV licence with a tiny fixed charge on electric bills, problem solved.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

RobD said:

viewcode said:

Bullshit. They don't plan anything like that.
  • Options

...if we're going to start enforcing something medical how about starting with vaccinations?...

Amen

• Options
    speedy2 said:

Replace the TV licence with a tiny fixed charge on electric bills, problem solved.
    That would be a positive step.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    One day the real Conservative party will wake up.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,395
    edited February 2020

You realise that's not an argument in favour, don't you?
    It surprised me, tbh. It is not an argument in favour, as you say. It does however mean it is quite a normal arrangement internationally.
  • Options

Boris needs to issue a statement explaining what 'long-term contraception' is, how it is medically possible and how it differs from 'sterilization'. He must also clarify whether or not this is to become government policy. If so, what characteristics will determine who is to be inducted into the programme. You can't be fairer than that.

Free contraception on the NHS? You can't force anyone to have it, but making it available to all is a good way to reduce unwanted pregnancies.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,897

In Germany, It's not really a license, more like a bill, as every household has to pay it, regardless of whether the house has a TV or not.
  • Options

viewcode said:

Endillion said:

viewcode said:

Endillion said:

I'm not generally comfortable with making anything compulsory, but if we're going to start enforcing something medical how about starting with vaccinations?

Contraception (voluntary) and education to prevent unplanned pregnancies are a good thing. Blue skies thinking and saying the unthinkable can also be a good thing too.

If people explored everything any of us had ever said I'm sure they'd find some uncomfortable stuff especially if they're looking to put a bad spin on it and/or take it out of context. Somehow I seriously doubt enforced contraception is going to be government policy.
    It’s too late anyway. Cummings has already been conceived.
  • Options

The policy would disappear overnight if it involved mandatory vasectomies for men

• Options
    viewcode said:

Endillion said:

viewcode said:

Endillion said:

His point seems to be that we already do similar things via vaccinations. Which is obviously not a perfect direct comparison, but a reasonable argument nonetheless about the relationship between individual freedoms and the rights of society not to have to deal with the consequences of selfish actions.

In addition to anti-vaxxers, there are vocal minorities who argue that (for example) adding folic acid to bread or fluorine to water without their consent is a violation of their human rights. It's certainly not obvious to me where you draw the line, especially given that it's already illegal for anyone under the age of 16 and about three quarters to have a child.
  • Options
    speedy2 said:

But people who generate their own electricity would not psy.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

viewcode said:

Bullshit. They don't plan anything like that.
    Wow! They have explained their plans to you?

Do tell....
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    This must rank as Boris's first tangible betrayal of the 'Brexit Voter'. Okay, they may have appreciated that Brexit would deprive them of some rights - but with it the right to have grandchildren?
  • Options
    edited February 2020

Im not defending the license fee, which is regressive, costly to administer, and outdated.

I am defending a BBC that maintains a funding mechanism safely removed from government interference.
  • Options

This must rank as Boris's first tangible betrayal of the 'Brexit Voter'. Okay, they may have appreciated that Brexit would have deprived them of some rights - but with it the right to have grandchildren?

You don't think you are exaggerating this just a tad?
  • Options
    Endillion said:

Okay, this is getting silly. No-one is seriously suggesting this as government policy. The question seems to be whether or not ever having articulated this view immediately disqualifies him from working in government.

Yes it does disqualify him.
  • Options

But only paid by people under 75 who choose to have BBC services in their home or online. A poll tax would apply to everyone.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    EPG said:

Wait until NI votes to leave
    Whats that got to do with the Opposition being crap ?

If meaningless diversions are the best you've got youre in bigger shit than I thought
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,616
    Jonathan said:

Wake up or woke up?
  • Options

Always said T20 Cricket is rubbish ;-)

Corrected it for you :)
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

speedy2 said:

Well more and more people watch TV from other electronic devices, but all those devices consume electricity, moving it to electric bills is a sensible step.
  • Options

Im not defending the license fee, which is regressive, costly to administer, and outdated.

I am defending a BBC that maintains a funding mechanism safely removed from government interference.
    Doesn't the current mechanism invite a lot of government interference? If they had to raise their own funds the government would have nothing to do with it.
  • Options

Endillion said:

Correct. He's a misogynist which in my book puts him in the same league as racists and holocaust deniers.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Wake up or woke up?
    Dunno, but definite signs of a mid-life crisis. When others get a motorbike or have an affair, the Tories seem to be getting in with all sorts of crazies.
  • Options
    RobD said:

That is a distinction without a difference.

The government is now given the power to decide when you are allowed to procreate. That would be an unprecedented level of control of the bodies of the citizenry.

In the US, there is a constant wringing of hands over the supposed "death committees" that come with socialised medicine, where doctors and bureaucrats decide who lives and who dies. This would be the explicit creation of committees of doctors and bureaucrats deciding who would be suitable to breed and who would not.

The problem with "out the box thinking" is that there is a fine line between "the civil service is not exploring all the options", "downright crazy" and "utterly immoral".
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    viewcode said:

I'm not advocating it - although the histrionics about it are quite silly, since the mass availability and voluntary use of contraception has already enabled the largest eugenics experiment of all time - but I do approve of the shock value. If the Left wants to have 'literal communists' as its outriders and Marxists as its Shadow Chancellors, then they have declared that the civilized rules of politics no longer apply and they should not be surprised if this leads their political opponents to also think things previously considered unthinkable.

I'd prefer a mutual political disarmament so that we can all go back to the cosy pre-2015 political consensus, but Labour doesn't seem to be up for that.
  • Options
    speedy2 said:

ydoethur said:

speedy2 said:

Well more and more people watch TV from other electronic devices, but all those devices consume electricity, moving it to electric bills is a sensible step.
    Oh dear Speedy. You missed the awesome pun involved.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Doesn't the current mechanism invite a lot of government interference? If they had to raise their own funds the government would have nothing to do with it.
    A public service broadcaster must retain a claim on the public purse, but also some form of independence.

It is not easy, which is why we are still stuck with the license fee.

Threatening the BBC with evisceration (as briefed in the Times today) is probably not the way to go though.
  • Options

Endillion said:

Correct. He's a misogynist which in my book puts him in the same league as racists and holocaust deniers.
    And almost equally important, it identifies him as a total idiot who should not be within a mile of anything complicated.

You can see why he would appeal to Cummings, who is equally unfit to hold public office. But not to sane people.
  • Options

Endillion said:

But enough about the Labour Party membership . . .
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,616
    HYUFD said:

The ST reports the Government wants the BBC to safeguard R3 but hard to see how that will happen without some form of government subsidy
    If classical music cannot survive in a capitalist free market it should be allowed to fail.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Wake up or woke up?
    It needs to rise from the dead.

Zombie up?
  • Options
    Mail:

Cabinet 'are in open revolt' over Dominic Cummings' new 'super forecaster' adviser Andrew Sabisky as they 'refuse to attend meetings where he is present and won't answer his emails'
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,225

This must rank as Boris's first tangible betrayal of the 'Brexit Voter'. Okay, they may have appreciated that Brexit would deprive them of some rights - but with it the right to have grandchildren?

It's an astonishing misstep. The Red Wall will not like it and nor will the Shires.
  • Options
    Some Tories simply want to destroy the BBC. It simply doesn’t fit in with their narrow world view and they’re still upset they didn’t get a Blue Peter badge.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

It's an astonishing misstep. The Red Wall will not like it and nor will the Shires.
    You do realise that this isn't actually government policy?
  • Options

But only paid by people under 75 who choose to have BBC services in their home or online. A poll tax would apply to everyone.
    Got nothing to do with choosing to have BBC services.

If I choose to have any live TV services I'm compelled to pay for this poll tax or face imprisonment, whether I want BBC services or not.
  • Options

viewcode said:

I'm not advocating it - although the histrionics about it are quite silly, since the mass availability and voluntary use of contraception has already enabled the largest eugenics experiment of all time - but I do approve of the shock value. If the Left wants to have 'literal communists' as its outriders and Marxists as its Shadow Chancellors, then they have declared that the civilized rules of politics no longer apply and they should not be surprised if this leads their political opponents to also think things previously considered unthinkable.

I'd prefer a mutual political disarmament so that we can all go back to the cosy pre-2015 political consensus, but Labour doesn't seem to be up for that.
    I think you're fighting an enemy who doesn't exist. You're angry about the Left tearing up the fiscal compact, when - in fact - it is currently the Right who is taking us back to the economics of the 60s and 70s.

The Right that I have always supported has been the Right of limited government, of competence, of sound money. It is a Right that recognises that when the government interferes, then it usually makes things worse, not better.

The enemy is, and has always been, an overmighty state.

When you allow forced contraception for one group, how do you know that the next government down the road will not turn forced contraception on a group that you support. When you open the door to an expansion of powers of the state, no matter how good your motives, you open the door to those powers being used against you.
  • Options

Mail:

Cabinet 'are in open revolt' over Dominic Cummings' new 'super forecaster' adviser Andrew Sabisky as they 'refuse to attend meetings where he is present and won't answer his emails'

Cummings will fire them....
  • Options

Endillion said:

But enough about the Labour Party membership . . .
    :lol:
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,897
    RobD said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

matt said:

Andy_JS said:

This reminds me of that mid-eighties Song from Spitting Image "I've never met a nice South African"
This discussion has been closed.