Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Early voting and a split field mean Sanders should be clear od

Comments

• BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,979
    edited February 2020
    kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

TGOHF666 said:
    Dan characteristically steps up to hammer in the final nail with his endorsement as he has done so many times before.
    What about his comment does that? You claimed not to care about the colour of passports so setting aside politics, and without desiring a change regardless of the answer, do you prefer blue to burgundy? Since you dont care it should be easy to say blue looks better if you think that, or indeed burgundy is best, as Dan has given his view.

I'm as baffled by the strength of your upset as I am by those who upset about them being burgundy in the first place.
    Aesthetically, I marginally prefer the blue to the burgundy. I'm amused it is such a big deal for some people, either way.

My only slight concern is the way it differentiates me as I try to go through the EU channel. I've just renewed mine - it's burgundy - so that's not a concern for me for ten years.

EDIT: I don't follow a football club so I find it hard to understand the emotional investment in symbols. I guess some followers would be upset if Man U changed the colour of their strip.

I do think the Leaver/Remain or Trump/anti-Trump divide is similar to football club supporters. Very passionate and unshakeable but fundamentally irrational.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    edited February 2020

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Grim seeing Priti Patel posing smugly with a blue passport. Horrible to see things that should be neutral manipulated for political ends.

New blue British passport rollout to begin in March https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51585018

Actually, and even tho I am a remainer, I loathe the idea being fostered within the EU that we are ALL Europeans... We are not and there is nothing wrong with every Country having their own distinct passport showing the different nationalities with the EU, even if the stuff inside is pretty much the same.
    I don’t care what colour it is. I don’t care how countries customise theirs.

I don’t like smug here today, gone tomorrow politicians using them to make their silly nationalistic political points.
    If you didnt care about the change it would not upset you so much that they are smugly satisfied about it. I guarantee they dont care about it except that it upsets opponents to a disproportionate degree.

So yes it is smugness but you're only encouraging them to pursue similar smug opportunities by getting so annoyed. Its classic trolling.
    It’s reasonable to object when national symbols that should be neutral are appropriated and manipulated for narrow political ends.
    Yes, but it's also reasonable to point out when someone clearly does care a great deal and is very upset about it but was saying they dont care. It doesnt undermine your point but you do care what the colour is because you dont like the colour being changed for political reasons.
    The colour per se is not the issue, it’s what it’s being used to symbolise that’s the problem. By carrying this passport, I am carrying someone else’s political baggage.

Let’s hope the next government allows people to choose whatever colour they fancy.
    I am afraid that so much is going to change now we are an independent nation you are going to be in permanent meltdown unless you can relax a little.

Change happens all the time
    We were an independent nation before. Nothing has changed in that respect. There is nothing to say that the current political situation is a permanent settlement. Let’s hope we get rid of nationalist and populists currently in charge.
  • malcolmg said:

IanB2 said:

Jonathan said:

Grim seeing Priti Patel posing smugly with a blue passport. Horrible to see things that should be neutral manipulated for political ends.

New blue British passport rollout to begin in March https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51585018

Actually, and even tho I am a remainer, I loathe the idea being fostered within the EU that we are ALL Europeans... We are not and there is nothing wrong with every Country having their own distinct passport showing the different nationalities with the EU, even if the stuff inside is pretty much the same.
    As we could, all along. Nations can choose their own colour within the EU - Croatia is sticking with blue, for example. The whole thing is a fuss about nothing.

The size and bendy format that is now becoming uniform is down to the reading machines at airports.
    Exactly , yet the cretinous halfwitted jingoistic nutters think they have got one over the EU by copying the blue colour of the US passport, pathetic given it was always in their power to do so.
    To be fair blue was the colour of our passports and I see no problem using it again. Having said that, I renewed my passport last summer and have the burgundy one for the rest of my lifetime, probably
    Don't give up on us yet, Big_G! Blue passports, then the telegram from the Monarch* - both for you and your Good Lady!

(*You may even outlive the Monarchy at this rate....)
    4 years to our diamond telegram and I do have fond memories of our blue passports and maybe, but is unlikely
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    Barnesian said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

TGOHF666 said:
    Dan characteristically steps up to hammer in the final nail with his endorsement as he has done so many times before.
    What about his comment does that? You claimed not to care about the colour of passports so setting aside politics, and without desiring a change regardless of the answer, do you prefer blue to burgundy? Since you dont care it should be easy to say blue looks better if you think that, or indeed burgundy is best, as Dan has given his view.

I'm as baffled by the strength of your upset as I am by those who upset about them being burgundy in the first place.
    Aesthetically, I marginally prefer the blue to the burgundy. I'm amused it is such a big deal for some people, either way.

My only slight concern is the way it differentiates me as I try to go through the EU channel. I've just renewed mine - it's burgundy - so that's not a concern for me for ten years.
    The color isn't what determines what lane you go through....
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,052
    kle4 said:

geoffw said:
    Oh crap, bats are behind it? I have bats in the hedge outside and live within a mile of several uber rare species!
    Don't eat them...
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    geoffw said:

kle4 said:

geoffw said:
    Oh crap, bats are behind it? I have bats in the hedge outside and live within a mile of several uber rare species!
    Did you read it? The angle he takes is to "think like a virus" if you want to understand it.
    I did read it, I was also making a joke, lighten up.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,957
    IanB2 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

I don’t like smug here today, gone tomorrow politicians using them to make their silly nationalistic political points.
    I hate to break it to you but

- Boris won't be gone tomorrow

- the blue flag with yellow stars of the EU is very much making a silly nationalistic political point ie that they have rolled 28 27 countries into a nation that doesn't really exist outside of their silly nation-building flag......

So relax some.
    It’s nice to have a flag that hasn’t been appropriated by far right politicians, nationalist thugs and football yobs, though.
    Because there are none of those travelling under the cover of the Burgundy passport, eh?
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,092
    RobD said:

Barnesian said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

TGOHF666 said:

Colour, please!
  • brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited February 2020
    kle4 said:

geoffw said:
    Well, if you can manage to avoid eating one of them you should be fine.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,583
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

welshowl said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

I don’t particularly care what colour it is, really, and I’m not going to renew mine till it’s due in about 8 years, however, the original introduction was the EC making a silly smug supranational political point. I didn’t want “European Union” on the front, nor did I particularly want to be the same colour as the other nations. It wasn’t a big point, but it was a niggle. I’d never been asked, it was decided for me with no means of redress that I could see. Ditto driving licences; again “Europe” appeared on them hoping by some process of political osmosis we’d all feel happily European about it.

Well it clearly backfired, because it became an issue, a little stone in a shoe. Might be trivial, worse things happen at sea and all that, but it was there in the pile of annoying niggles, that could have been avoided by Europe in their quest for visible evidence of ever closer union. And then one day there was a vote where you could remove the stone in your shoe.....
    I think a lot of the troubles the EU had were the impression it was involved or seeking uniformity in areas which didnt need it or were trivial. As you say little things then became big niggles for people. Though on those particular examples I didnt mind. A perception it was forever focused on petty details seemed to do it more harm than the bigger harmonisation, done of which were disliked but others not.
    Who can forget the eurosausage?

:)
    Was that real? Or another of Boris' inventions that became folklore.
    geoffw said:

RobD said:

Barnesian said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

TGOHF666 said:

Colour, please!
    Nor does that determine what lane you go through ;)

RobD said:

kle4 said:

welshowl said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

I don’t particularly care what colour it is, really, and I’m not going to renew mine till it’s due in about 8 years, however, the original introduction was the EC making a silly smug supranational political point. I didn’t want “European Union” on the front, nor did I particularly want to be the same colour as the other nations. It wasn’t a big point, but it was a niggle. I’d never been asked, it was decided for me with no means of redress that I could see. Ditto driving licences; again “Europe” appeared on them hoping by some process of political osmosis we’d all feel happily European about it.

Well it clearly backfired, because it became an issue, a little stone in a shoe. Might be trivial, worse things happen at sea and all that, but it was there in the pile of annoying niggles, that could have been avoided by Europe in their quest for visible evidence of ever closer union. And then one day there was a vote where you could remove the stone in your shoe.....
    I think a lot of the troubles the EU had were the impression it was involved or seeking uniformity in areas which didnt need it or were trivial. As you say little things then became big niggles for people. Though on those particular examples I didnt mind. A perception it was forever focused on petty details seemed to do it more harm than the bigger harmonisation, done of which were disliked but others not.

:open_mouth:

Would Bloomberg run as an independent if he fails to get the nod from the blues?

If he wanted to waste his money to copper-bottom guarantee a Trump second term he could.
  • welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

RobD said:

kle4 said:

welshowl said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

It made Jim Hacker PM from memory. Yes Minister.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,563
    Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

The expert on R4 this morning saying that the object now is to delay and spread out the peak of the infection to try and spread the load on health services and avoid them being overwhelmed; they clearly think that avoiding it altogether isn’t realistic now.

That is pretty much the outline in my Trusts Pandemic Flu plan, which has been dusted off. Mrs Foxy has had her mask and PPE training, which is being rolled out across all staff, though not to me yet.

Well we should at least learn some lessons from Japan and Korea before it hits here.
    It looks as though the outbreaks are on the verge of being out of control in both countries, and both have good health systems.
    The Korean public health management effort looks rather better organised than the Japanese chaos. They are also being extremely open and informative in publishing detailed statistics.
  • Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Actually, and even tho I am a remainer, I loathe the idea being fostered within the EU that we are ALL Europeans....

If you didnt care about the change

So yes it is smugness but you're only encouraging them to pursue similar smug opportunities by getting so annoyed. Its classic trolling.
    It’s reasonable to object when national symbols that should be neutral are appropriated and manipulated for narrow political ends.
    Yes, but it's also reasonable to point out when someone clearly does care a great deal and is very upset about it but was saying they dont care. It doesnt undermine your point but you do care what the colour is because you dont like the colour being changed for political reasons.
    The colour per se is not the issue, it’s what it’s being used to symbolise that’s the problem. By carrying this passport, I am carrying someone else’s political baggage.

Let’s hope the next government allows people to choose whatever colour they fancy.
    I am afraid that so much is going to change now we are an independent nation you are going to be in permanent meltdown unless you can relax a little.

We were an independent nation before. Nothing has changed in that respect. There is nothing to say that the current political situation is a permanent settlement. Let’s hope we get rid of nationalist and populists currently in charge.
    I think you are going to be very disappointed. By the next election being a member of the EU will have long gone and we will be in a very different place internationally

Indeed witnessing the chaos and anger between nations in the EU over their budget contributions and the obvious discord over a UK - Canada deal the EU are facing massive issues that so many in the UK will be relieved to be away from.

The EU are learning how valuable we were to them and maybe all those years ago they should have accommodated David Cameron's requests but then Junckers, Tusk and others had no foresight or statesmanship
  • Mr. Pete, he'd also be able to claim that the Democrat nominee couldn't do it and they made the wrong choice.

(I know that's daft, but vain billionaires do weird things).

Still not sure he'll do it, but curious if it's a credible possibility.
    Dura_Ace said:

Why is Bernie the colour of a dog's bell end? Is that his actual hue?

It's to show he is full of vim and vigour.

And that his stents are doing a fine job, honest. Nothing to see here.... He's taking life easy, not doing any strenuous mental or physical activity...

Really?

For President, you say?

Oh.

Hell, that's bold....not sure they are built to withstand that.

Still, he looks well, huh?
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Actually, and even tho I am a remainer, I loathe the idea being fostered within the EU that we are ALL Europeans....

I oints.

Yes, but it's also reasonable to point out when someone clearly does care a great deal and is very s.

I think you are going to be very disappointed. By the next election being a member of the EU will have long gone and we will be in a very different place internationally

Indeed witnessing the chaos and anger between nations in the EU over their budget contributions and the obvious discord over a UK - Canada deal the EU are facing massive issues that so many in the UK will be relieved to be away from.

The EU are learning how valuable we were to them and maybe all those years ago they should have accommodated David Cameron's requests but then Junckers, Tusk and others had no foresight or statesmanship
    I think this “chaos and anger” is over-stated, and being overreported in the UK for obvious reasons. There are always tussles over the budget but it’ll be sorted out and is hardly flagging imminent collapse.
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

We are probably getting close to the stage where the Democratic loyalists who up until now have hated or feared Bernie - given hes not really a Democrat and they thought he will lose to Trump - will start to talk about how actually when you think about it hes alright, how his goals align with them even if he was an indy, and that he can win if they now back him given he looks like getting the nomination.

Prepare for some epic turnarounds.

Although you'll also end up with a Never Bernie faction, no doubt. Of course, whether they'll be any more successful than the Never Trump or Never Corbyn or Never Boris factions is somewhat open to question...
    Oh I'm sure that's right. Maybe enough to stop him winning the presidential I'd not the primary as you suggest. But few things better than seeing people line up behind someone they despised politically.
    Look what happened to Johnson. Many Tories despised him but now sing his praises. (Mentioning no names) He's the leader of their team. Ditto Trump. Rational argument won't change their support. But if he becomes a loser in a series of matches (debates, policy reversals, by-elections, etc) they may become demoralised and stay at home.

I'm looking forward to the Trump/Sanders debates. Sanders will channel and articulate the anger of the left behind middle classes. You show him Bernie! You're a winner.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    Mr Dancer, what odds can you get on Bottas each way for the F1 title? Initial feedback from testing is that Mercedes have built a total monster of a car, while the red machine has been struggling.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,761

More "the Japanese authorities have totally got this" news:

新型コロナウイルスの集団感染が起きているクルーズ船内で業務していた厚生労働省などの職員の多くが、ウイルスの検査を受けずに職場に復帰していたことが分かりました。厚労省内で検査が一度は検討されたものの、陽性者が多く出た場合の業務への影響などを考慮し、見送られたということです。

https://news.tbs.co.jp/newseye/tbs_newseye3911566.html
    My translation (warning, I'm a software developer not a translator):
    Many of the Health and Welfare Ministry staff who worked on the cruise ship that had a mass infection of the new type of coronavirus returned to their workplace without being tested. The ministry considered testing them, but postponed testing in view of the possible impact on their work in the event that many of them tested positive.

I have been astonished at how poorly the Japanese have responded to this. I would honestly have expected everyone on that ship to have been tested within a couple of days. It seems to have gone on for weeks leaving those on board exposed and many now infected. When you see what South Korea and Singapore have been doing the Japanese response seems very out of line with my racial stereotype for them. Are you surprised?

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

I will continue to advocate returning to a self-confident, brave and forward looking state, rather than the shadow of our former selves that we are today. Things have changed radically for the worse, they can change again but we will have to work for it.

Mr. Pete, he'd also be able to claim that the Democrat nominee couldn't do it and they made the wrong choice.

(I know that's daft, but vain billionaires do weird things).

Still not sure he'll do it, but curious if it's a credible possibility.

I was convinced Bloomberg was the white knight on the white charger. I am now uncomfortably convinced he may not be.

Trump irrespective of any polling evidence to the contrary looks nailed on against Sanders anyway.

Cast your mind back to 2000. Nader cost Gore the Presidency. Not that Bloomberg is a Dem anyway, but he could be better advised to spend his money on a new Superyacht.
  • Mr. Sandpit, Ladbrokes has Bottas at 6 each way, third the odds top 2.

What do you think?
    RobD said:

Barnesian said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

TGOHF666 said:

I know! I determine which lane I go through (unless I'm stopped).

I recently flew into Shannon with my two daughters and we boldly marched through the blue EU channel with our burgundy passports.
    Jonathan said:

I will continue to advocate returning to a self-confident, brave and forward looking state, rather than the shadow of our former selves that we are today. Things have changed radically for the worse, they can change again but we will have to work for it.

Maay I suggest changing your alliegance to the Commonwealth then? It is rather more fit for purpose than the EU "state"......
    Barnesian said:

RobD said:

Barnesian said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

TGOHF666 said:

I recently flew into Shannon with my two daughters and we boldly marched through the blue EU channel with our burgundy passports.
    So it is a concern for you each time you fly, despite what you said. :)
    edited February 2020

Mr. Sandpit, Ladbrokes has Bottas at 6 each way, third the odds top 2.

What do you think?

Probably worth a punt. If he has a strong start to the season, as last year, then he’ll likely go shorter.

Also worth a look at Racing Point for 4th place in the Constructors’, their new car is being described as “The Pink Mercedes” for it’s uncanny resemblance to last year’s championship-winning car.
  • Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

The EU is over for the UK
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,563
    NHS to test suspected coronavirus cases at home, which seems sensible:
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/21/nhs-to-test-londoners-for-coronavirus-at-home

If you think you’re infected, don’t travel.
  • Mr. Sandpit, there are some Racing Point specials.

Perez to win any race is 9, the team t be top 3 is 26.
  • Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

You sound like a Brexiteer.
    Nigelb said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/21/nhs-to-test-londoners-for-coronavirus-at-home

Panic stricken wobblies like SeanT are going to waste a lot of time calling out NHS staff for tests just because they have a cold.
    edited February 2020
    RobD said:

Barnesian said:

RobD said:

Barnesian said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

TGOHF666 said:

What I said was:

"Aesthetically, I marginally prefer the blue to the burgundy. I'm amused it is such a big deal for some people, either way.

My only slight concern is the way it differentiates me as I try to go through the EU channel. I've just renewed mine - it's burgundy - so that's not a concern for me for ten years."
    Barnesian said:

RobD said:

Barnesian said:

RobD said:

Barnesian said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

TGOHF666 said:

What I said was:

"Aesthetically, I marginally prefer the blue to the burgundy. I'm amused it is such a big deal for some people, either way.

My only slight concern is the way it differentiates me as I try to go through the EU channel. I've just renewed mine - it's burgundy - so that's not a concern for me for ten years."
    But the concern exists, because you will likely be turned back for not holding an EU passport, regardless of the colour. :p
  • Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

If you didnt care about the change it would not upset you so much that they are smugly satisfied about it. I guarantee they dont care about it except that it upsets opponents to a disproportionate degree.

Well, I'm delighted with the new design. It's the one I loved that we lost 30 years ago. Ever since I've had a leather passport cover, looking very much like it, to cover the maroon EU one.

What will happen now?

Very obviously a (small) market will open for EU maroon passport covers to put over the new blue passports, and will thus be a political display of sympathies when ultra Remainers go through passport control into EU countries.

Most people won't do this. But 15-20% will.

Jonathan said:

Maay I suggest changing your alliegance to the Commonwealth then? It is rather more fit for purpose than the EU "state"......
    Having travelled the Caribbean I am not entirely sure what benefits the Commonwealth brings to member states. It certainly isn't serious financial support for post-hurricane rebuilding. I grant you in some cases money might have been sent and subsequently got lost in the post. I have seen evidence of EU funding for hospitals, although off the top of my head I can't recall which islands.

Whatever our medium term future has in store it has to be outside the EU. If only to use up the vast supply of blue passports Dom has ordered.
  • ydoethur said:

More "the Japanese authorities have totally got this" news:

新型コロナウイルスの集団感染が起きているクルーズ船内で業務していた厚生労働省などの職員の多くが、ウイルスの検査を受けずに職場に復帰していたことが分かりました。厚労省内で検査が一度は検討されたものの、陽性者が多く出た場合の業務への影響などを考慮し、見送られたということです。

https://news.tbs.co.jp/newseye/tbs_newseye3911566.html

My translation (warning, I'm a software developer not a translator):

Many of the Health and Welfare Ministry staff who worked on the cruise ship that had a mass infection of the new type of coronavirus returned to their workplace without being tested. The ministry considered testing them, but postponed testing in view of the possible impact on their work in the event that many of them tested positive.

How do you spell ‘retards?’
    I expect Japanese culture has a big part to play here.
    RobD said:

Barnesian said:

RobD said:

Barnesian said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

TGOHF666 said:

Flying is going to become a high risk activity, at least for a year or two.

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

I think you are going to be very disappointed. By the next election being a member of the EU will have long gone and we will be in a very
    For the next decade, I agree, but it will always be our most important external relationship because of geography.

I think that we have to have a WTO Brexit before rebuilding a more sensible relationship. It is pretty much always like that in divorces.

A budget of shrinking receipts is going to be a UK phenomenon for the next few years too, so I would go easy on the schadenfreude.
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,092

Jonathan said:

EU citizens of Malta and the Republic of Cyprus are also citizens of the Commonwealth and can vote in local and national elections in the UK. Perhaps the Remainer faction could encourage other EU states to join.
    Nigelb said:

Yep

https://twitter.com/foxinsoxuk/status/1230616923823656962?s=19

Mr. Sandpit, there are some Racing Point specials.

Perez to win any race is 9, the team t be top 3 is 26.

26 on Ferrari to have a total meltdown might be worth 50p. I can see Perez sneaking a podium or two, but would have to be random rain-affected chaos for him to win a race.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    Foxy said:

For the next decade, I agree, but it will always be our most important external relationship because of geography.

I think that we have to have a WTO Brexit before rebuilding a more sensible relationship. It is pretty much always like that in divorces.

A budget of shrinking receipts is going to be a UK phenomenon for the next few years too, so I would go easy on the schadenfreude.

The latter is only going to happen in a recession not saying it's impossible or even improbable, but for actual tax receipts to shrink is quite rare.
  • Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

I think you are going to be very disappointed. By the next p
    He considered it once, and was sympathetic to the arguments.

Whatever he says now Southam Observer also said on here (more than once) that he missed the blue passports and would be pleased by their return, regardless of his views on Brexit.
    I miss him being in front line politics.
    RobD said:

Barnesian said:

RobD said:

Barnesian said:

RobD said:

Barnesian said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

TGOHF666 said:

What I said was:

But the concern exists, because you will likely be turned back for not holding an EU passport, regardless of the colour. :p
    Yes Yes of course! The colour doesn't matter. Leaving the EU hurts. I felt it keenly flying into Ireland (tho' that border is not affected because of the CTA).
  • eggegg Posts: 1,749
    Bernie looks redder than a beetroot in that photo.

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Well, I'm delighted with the new design. It's the one I loved that we lost 30 years ago. Ever since I've had a leather passport cover, looking very much like it, to cover the maroon EU one.

What will happen now?

Very obviously a (small) market will open for EU maroon passport covers to put over the new blue passports, and will thus be a political display of sympathies when ultra Remainers go through passport control into EU countries.

Rather better would be a transparent overlay of a circle of yellow stars, thereby converting a blue passport to the EU flag. Indeed perhaps I ought to patent the idea...
  • Foxy said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Yes, but it's also reasonable to point out

I think you are going to be very disappointed. By the next election being a member of the EU will have long gone and we will be in a very

I really do not disagree though I do think the EU have as much, if not more, to worry about at the present time
    IanB2 said:

RobD said:

Barnesian said:

RobD said:

Barnesian said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

TGOHF666 said:

Flying is going to become a high risk activity, at least for a year or two.
    And increasingly less socially acceptable for much longer.
  • Mr. Sandpit, great minds think alike: I had a £1 free bet I stuck on the Racing Point special.

Perez could be value at Azerbaijan.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    edited February 2020
    Classic 'because I and my leadership are being criticised that's unfair on the whole group of nations' words from Baroness Scotland at the Commonwealth Secretariat I see.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51561524
    Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Yep

https://twitter.com/foxinsoxuk/status/1230616923823656962?s=19
    Giving the Tories a majority was clearly a mistake
  • Foxy said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

If you didnt care about the change it would not .

What will happen now?

Rather better would be a transparent overlay of a circle of yellow stars, thereby converting a blue passport to the EU flag. Indeed perhaps I ought to patent the idea...
    I'm sure some of those would sell too, just as there's a niche market for the New European.
  • And as I reach 30,000 posts I do wonder how I have achieved so many but then there are others who have many more

Still, it is an excellent forum and informative , if occasionally a bit over the top, but so many of different political persuassions makes it what it is

May it continue to be so

• eggegg Posts: 1,749

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

classic trolling.
    It doesnt undermine your point but you do care what the colour is because you dont like the colour being changed for political reasons.

😄. I expect you would have said the monarchy is over for the UK the month after Charles head was sliced off?
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,287
    Hilarious.. that's made my morning .. lorralorralaughs. Corbyn looks a sad old man, just like Foot in many ways.

Mr. Sandpit, great minds think alike: I had a £1 free bet I stuck on the Racing Point special.

Free bets are fine but I'd avoid putting money on the pink Mercedes for later races. They will have the same issue Haas have had. They start strongly because they have a good baseline package, but given they have basically no understanding of it their in season development has been horrible. The pink Mercedes will suffer from it because there's no way Mercedes are providing all of their CFD analysis for their front wing and other parts that have been sold to RP.

And as I reach 30,000 posts I do wonder how I have achieved so many but then there are others who have many more

Still, it is an excellent forum and informative , if occasionally a bit over the top, but so many of different political persuassions makes it what it is

May it continue to be so

It was all those posts warning us that Boris is a cad and a bounder wot did it.
  • TGOHF666 said:

IanB2 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

- the blue flag with yellow stars of the EU is very much making a silly nationalistic political point ie that they have rolled 28 27 countries into a nation that doesn't really exist outside of their silly nation-building flag......

So relax some.
    It’s nice to have a flag that hasn’t been appropriated by far right politicians, nationalist thugs and football yobs, though.
    Imagine letting such groups put you off your own flag.
    Quite right Harry, stay strong.

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

What will happen now?

It's not the one we "lost" 30 years ago. That was black and a different design.
    The Irish are the ones who should be upset. Their original passport was classy.

egg said:

😄. I expect you would have said the monarchy is over for the UK the month after Charles head was sliced off?

I think there's still a genuine affection for the monarchy, even today. It will have been much greater back then, especially among the powerful land owning classes.

The EU isn't loved by the majority, it isn't loved by the majority of remainers, merely tolerated. This place has a very high proportion of Lib Dems compared to the real world so what is said about losing the burgundy passport and such isn't really relevant to the nation as a whole. My reading of it is that people don't give a fuck.
    MaxPB said:

Mr. Sandpit, great minds think alike: I had a £1 free bet I stuck on the Racing Point special.

Free bets are fine but I'd avoid putting money on the pink Mercedes for later races. They will have the same issue Haas have had. They start strongly because they have a good baseline package, but given they have basically no understanding of it their in season development has been horrible. The pink Mercedes will suffer from it because there's no way Mercedes are providing all of their CFD analysis for their front wing and other parts that have been sold to RP.
    That’s a fair comment, although the chassis and all the aero have to be designed and built by RP, even if as they admit they got a lot of photos of the MB W10 - as opposed to mechanicals like the rear suspension, which is clearly lifted straight from last year’s winning car.

What Mercedes have done with the suspension and steering this year is totally mind-boggling though, and to set unofficially the second fastest lap ever around the circuit with it fresh out of the box is some statement of intent
  • IanB2 said:

And as I reach 30,000 posts I do wonder how I have achieved so many but then there are others who have many more

May it continue to be so

And times change

IanB2 said:

May it continue to be so

And times change
    Sadly Boris doesn’t.
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited February 2020

TGOHF666 said:

IanB2 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

So relax some.

Indeed.
  • IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

May it continue to be so

And times change
    Sadly Boris doesn’t.
    He has demonstrated his liberal instincts and this morning's news the chancellor is considering abolishing business rates in favour of a land tax is another example

Eat your heart out Corbyn
    Barnesian said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Grim seeing Priti

Actually,

Theed to symbolise that’s the problem. By carrying this passport, I am carrying someone else’s political baggage.

What will happen now?

Exactly.

The current passport still has “British passport” and the coat of arms on it.

The old passport was stiff, but that isn’t coming back because of passport reading machines.

The old passport was black, but that isn’t coming back because the Tories seem to have mid-remembered that it was blue. Or simply prefer blue to red for some mysterious reason.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,673
    kle4 said:

welshowl said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Most were done by London government and blamed on EU, the sheeple are easily fooled.
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,122
    Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

TGOHF666 said:
    What about his comment does that? You claimed not to care about the colour of passports so setting aside politics, and without desiring a change regardless of the answer, do you prefer blue to burgundy?
    Let’s illustrate with an extreme example. If a politician said that from now on colour X represented a political belief that you disagreed with and then made everyone carry that colour, would you care?

You don’t have anything against the colour In itself, but what it now represents and the obligation to show that belief.

The blue passport was not a necessary part of Brexit. It now represents something else. A nostalgic retreat to days gone by and to petty nationalistic politics. Politicians like Patel who delight in such things and use it for their political ends, do not represent the values of our country. I do not particularly like being forced to be part of that.

PS Dan Hodges settles like an albatross on any political career (David Milliband in particular) and deserves a bit of gentle ribbing.
    Hyperbole alert!!

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

G, you have to be joking with independent, Scotland as part of the UK is being treated like a colony. Roll on real independence from this corrupt colonial union.

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

I think you are going to be very disappointed. By the next election being a member of the EU will have long gone and we will be in a very different place int
    Indeed witnessing the chaos and anger between nations

We have much to learn from them. We can use their tactics for positive ends. They didn’t give up or accept the status quo.

malcolmg said:

IanB2 said:

Jonathan said:

As we could, all along. Nations can choose their own colour within the EU - Croatia is sticking with blue, for example. The whole thing is a fuss about nothing.

The size and bendy format that is now becoming uniform is down to the reading machines at airports.
    Exactly , yet the cretinous halfwitted jingoistic nutters think they have got one over the EU by copying the blue colour of the US passport, pathetic given it was always in their power to do so.
    To be fair blue was the colour of our passports and I see no problem using it again. Having said that, I renewed my passport last summer and have the burgundy one for the rest of my lifetime, probably
    Must have been a long time ago G, mine were always Black
  • malcolmg said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

G, you have to be joking with independent, Scotland as part of the UK is being treated like a colony. Roll on real independence from this corrupt colonial union.
    Not going to happen Malc but we are both entitled to our opinions
  • malcolmg said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

You're not a colony, you're just a region within the UK. Like the North West or South East.
  • TGOHF666 said:

IanB2 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

So relax some.

Indeed.
    Just to clarify, is this a morning where the Union Flag or the Cross of St George is the one that represents you?
  • malcolmg said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

You're not a colony, you're just a region within the UK. Like the North West or South East.
    Or England.
    malcolmg said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Only to end up as s colony of Brussels...
  • TGOHF666 said:

IanB2 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

So relax some.

Indeed.
    Just to clarify, is this a morning where the Union Flag or the Cross of St George is the one that represents you?
    Both do. I'm consistent, I think its best for both Scotland and England if we go independent, but until then I consider myself both English and British.

My point is that dipshits don't represent me (or you) regardless of what they fly. There are arsehats of every stripe so guilt by association is absurd. Make sense?

I don't think the racist behind the Scottish flag in my picture represents you any more than I think the racist behind the Union flag in your picture represents me. Make sense?
  • TGOHF666 said:

IanB2 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

So relax some.

You have an obsession with trying to link the Union flag to fascism and sectarianism.

Does it make you feel better about your insecurity over being a nationalist yourself?
  • malcolmg said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Or England.
    Agreed.
  • IanB2 said:

Barnesian said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Grim seeing Priti

Actually,

If you didnt care about the change it would not .
    Theed to symbolise that’s the problem. By carrying this passport, I am carrying someone else’s political baggage.

What will happen now?

Exactly.

The current passport still has “British passport” and the coat of arms on it.

The old passport was stiff, but that isn’t coming back because of passport reading machines.

The old passport was black, but that isn’t coming back because the Tories seem to have mid-remembered that it was blue. Or simply prefer blue to red for some mysterious reason.
    Does it? Mine says UK of GB and NI on it. It doesn't say "British Passport"; it says 'European Union' at the top albeit in slightly smaller lettering.

And the old passport was a very dark navy blue, which could appear black but wasn't.
  • MaxPB said:

egg said:

I think there's still a genuine affection for the monarchy, even today. It will have been much greater back then, especially among the powerful land owning classes.

Hopefully, I have an article on this going up soon.
    I've decided to sit this mayoral election out. Our candidate is completely useless (and racist towards Asians). Sadiq looks unbeatable despite being completely useless and, IMO, having a negative attitude that has hurt the business environment and Rory doesn't have a chance despite being the best candidate.

Hopefully in 2024 Rory will run for us and Sadiq will resign.
    One little piece of history went unremarked yesterday. Our last military base in Germany has now been handed back.

https://twitter.com/paul_lever/status/1230995902040596481?s=19
  • Foxy said:

One little piece of history went unremarked yesterday. Our last military base in Germany has now been handed back.

https://twitter.com/paul_lever/status/1230995902040596481?s=19

Maybe it will all kick off on the Polish border tomorrow then.
  • MaxPB said:

I've decided to sit this mayoral election out. Our candidate is completely useless (and racist towards Asians). Sadiq looks unbeatable despite being completely useless and, IMO, having a negative attitude that has hurt the business environment and Rory doesn't have a chance despite being the best candidate.

Backing Sadiq in May is free money.
  • Incidentally I believe that Scotland and England will benefit from independence and that NI will benefit from joining Ireland. NI would benefit the most, then Scotland and England the least from such changes in my opinion.

Wales I'm not sure about though. I have no clue as to whether Wales would be better off if the UK remains intact, going independent itself or sticking with England.

MaxPB said:

Backing Sadiq in May is free money.
    No, I meant from a campaigning perspective. I've got a fairly large position on Sadiq already.
  • MaxPB said:

What qualifications or connections to London does Rory have to be the best candidate? And why wasn't he an MP within the London region?

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

G , where are you seeing reports of this chaos and anger , I have seen on report in a Tory rag. Made up garbage to keep the illusion of Brexit being a good thing I am afraid. EU will royally shaft the imbeciles we have negotiating and it will be NO deal as was always obvious.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,748
    edited February 2020

Both do. I'm consistent, I think its best for both Scotland and England if we go independent, but until then I consider myself both English and British.

My point is that dipshits don't represent me (or you) regardless of what they fly. There are arsehats of every stripe so guilt by association is absurd. Make sense?

I don't think the racist behind the Scottish flag in my picture represents you any more than I think the racist behind the Union flag in your picture represents me. Make sense?

Down Fido, who said anything about them representing you?

I know that the Rangers supporting dipshits who rip out a Hitlergruß on a regular basis in my city are part of a growing and increasingly militant section of Unionism. It would be nice if some Unionists condemned that rather than bleat on about how it wasn't going stop them luvving their fleg.
This discussion has been closed.