Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Early voting and a split field mean Sanders should be clear od

Comments

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,862

TGOHF666 said:

IanB2 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Grim seeing Priti Patel posing smugly with a blue passport. Horrible to see things that should be neutral manipulated for political ends.

New blue British passport rollout to begin in March https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51585018

Actually, and even tho I am a remainer, I loathe the idea being fostered within the EU that we are ALL Europeans... We are not and there is nothing wrong with every Country having their own distinct passport showing the different nationalities with the EU, even if the stuff inside is pretty much the same.
    I don’t care what colour it is. I don’t care how countries customise theirs.

I don’t like smug here today, gone tomorrow politicians using them to make their silly nationalistic political points.
    I hate to break it to you but

- Boris won't be gone tomorrow

- the blue flag with yellow stars of the EU is very much making a silly nationalistic political point ie that they have rolled 28 27 countries into a nation that doesn't really exist outside of their silly nation-building flag......

So relax some.
    It’s nice to have a flag that hasn’t been appropriated by far right politicians, nationalist thugs and football yobs, though.
    Imagine letting such groups put you off your own flag.
    Quite right Harry, stay strong.

Indeed.
    Your typical unionist on show.
  • Options

Both do. I'm consistent, I think its best for both Scotland and England if we go independent, but until then I consider myself both English and British.

My point is that dipshits don't represent me (or you) regardless of what they fly. There are arsehats of every stripe so guilt by association is absurd. Make sense?

I don't think the racist behind the Scottish flag in my picture represents you any more than I think the racist behind the Union flag in your picture represents me. Make sense?

Down Fido, who said anything about them representing you?

I know that the Rangers supporting dipshits who rip out Hitlergruß on a regular basis in my city are part of a growing and increasingly militant section of Unionism. It would be nice if some Unionists condemned that rather than bleat on about how it wasn't going stop them luvving their fleg.
    You hinted at it in your reply to Harry.

I'll happily condemn any and all racist dipshits. Doesn't alter my views on the flag any more than racists marching behind the Saltire should affect yours.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

TGOHF666 said:

IanB2 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Grim seeing Priti Patel posing smugly with a blue passport. Horrible to see things that should be neutral manipulated for political ends.

New blue British passport rollout to begin in March https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51585018

Actually, and even tho I am a remainer, I loathe the idea being fostered within the EU that we are ALL Europeans... We are not and there is nothing wrong with every Country having their own distinct passport showing the different nationalities with the EU, even if the stuff inside is pretty much the same.

I don’t like smug here today, gone tomorrow politicians using them to make their silly nationalistic political points.

- the blue flag with yellow stars of the EU is very much making a silly nationalistic political point ie that they have rolled 28 27 countries into a nation that doesn't really exist outside of their silly nation-building flag......

So relax some.
    It’s nice to have a flag that hasn’t been appropriated by far right politicians, nationalist thugs and football yobs, though.

Indeed.
    Your typical unionist on show.
    I'm a unionist? News to me! 😂
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,989

I don't think the racist behind the Scottish flag in my picture represents you any more than I think the racist behind the Union flag in your picture represents me. Make sense?

The two aren't really comparable because a lot more carnage and horror has been perpetrated in the baleful shadow of the Butcher's Apron than that Edinburgh Airport novelty tea towel.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I've decided to sit this mayoral election out. Our candidate is completely useless (and racist towards Asians). Sadiq looks unbeatable despite being completely useless and, IMO, having a negative attitude that has hurt the business environment and Rory doesn't have a chance despite being the best candidate.

Hopefully in 2024 Rory will run for us and Sadiq will resign.

Backing Sadiq in May is free money.
    No, I meant from a campaigning perspective. I've got a fairly large position on Sadiq already.
    Oh, I see. I've stuck a monkey on Sadiq. Better than an ISA.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,988
    edited February 2020

IanB2 said:

Barnesian said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Grim seeing Priti

Actually,
    If you didnt care about the change it would not .
    It’s reasonable to object when national symbols that should be neutral are appropriated and manipulated for narrow political ends.
    Theed to symbolise that’s the problem. By carrying this passport, I am carrying someone else’s political baggage.

Let’s hope the next government allows people to choose whatever colour they fancy.
    Well, I'm delighted with the new design. It's the one I loved that we lost 30 years ago. Ever since I've had a leather passport cover, looking very much like it, to cover the maroon EU one.

What will happen now?

Very obviously a (small) market will open for EU maroon passport covers to put over the new blue passports, and will thus be a political display of sympathies when ultra Remainers go through passport control into EU countries.

Most people won't do this. But 15-20% will.
    It's not the one we "lost" 30 years ago. That was black and a different design.
    The Irish are the ones who should be upset. Their original passport was classy.

Exactly.

The current passport still has “British passport” and the coat of arms on it.

The old passport was stiff, but that isn’t coming back because of passport reading machines.

The old passport was black, but that isn’t coming back because the Tories seem to have mid-remembered that it was blue. Or simply prefer blue to red for some mysterious reason.
    Does it? Mine says UK of GB and NI on it. It doesn't say "British Passport"; it says 'European Union' at the top albeit in slightly smaller lettering.

And the old passport was a very dark navy blue, which could appear black but wasn't.
    I have my old passport in front of me. It wasn't a very dark navy blue. It was black. No doubt about it. Your memory is playing tricks.

The new passport is identical to the old except "European Union" is removed. It doesn't say "British passport".

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited February 2020
    Dura_Ace said:

The two aren't really comparable because a lot more carnage and horror has been perpetrated in the baleful shadow of the Butcher's Apron than that Edinburgh Airport novelty tea towel.
    A lot more success and greatness too probably behind the Union flag, but its not a competition.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    edited February 2020
    malcolmg said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Actually, and even tho I am a remainer, I loathe the idea being fostered within the EU that we are ALL Europeans....
    It’s reasonable to object when national symbols that should be neutral are appropriated and manipulated for narrow political ends.
    The colour per se is not the issue, it’s what it’s being used to symbolise that’s the problem. By carrying this passport, I am carrying someone else’s political baggage.

Let’s hope the next government allows people to choose whatever colour they fancy.
    I am afraid that so much is going to change now we are an independent nation you are going to be in permanent meltdown unless you can relax a little.

Change happens all the time
    We were an independent nation before. Nothing has changed in that respect. There is nothing to say that the current political situation is a permanent settlement. Let’s hope we get rid of nationalist and populists currently in charge.
    I think you are going to be very disappointed. By the next election being a member of the EU will have long gone and we will be in a very different place internationally

Indeed witnessing the chaos and anger between nations in the EU over their budget contributions and the obvious discord over a UK - Canada deal the EU are facing massive issues that so many in the UK will be relieved to be away from.

The EU are learning how valuable we were to them and maybe all those years ago they should have accommodated David Cameron's requests but then Junckers, Tusk and others had no foresight or statesmanship
    G , where are you seeing reports of this chaos and anger , I have seen on report in a Tory rag. Made up garbage to keep the illusion of Brexit being a good thing I am afraid. EU will royally shaft the imbeciles we have negotiating and it will be NO deal as was always obvious.
    https://ft.com/content/c3e2ef6e-53ed-11ea-8841-482eed0038b1

From that Leaver rag the, err, FT.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Barnesian said:

IanB2 said:

Barnesian said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Grim seeing Priti

Actually,
    Theed to symbolise that’s the problem. By carrying this passport, I am carrying someone else’s political baggage.

Well, I'm delighted with the new design. It's the one I loved that we lost 30 years ago. Ever since I've had a leather passport cover, looking very much like it, to cover the maroon EU one.

What will happen now?

Very obviously a (small) market will open for EU maroon passport covers to put over the new blue passports, and will thus be a political display of sympathies when ultra Remainers go through passport control into EU countries.

Exactly.

The old passport was stiff, but that isn’t coming back because of passport reading machines.

The old passport was black, but that isn’t coming back because the Tories seem to have mid-remembered that it was blue. Or simply prefer blue to red for some mysterious reason.
    Does it? Mine says UK of GB and NI on it. It doesn't say "British Passport"; it says 'European Union' at the top albeit in slightly smaller lettering.

And the old passport was a very dark navy blue, which could appear black but wasn't.
    I have my old passport in front of me. It wasn't a very dark navy blue. It was black. No doubt about it. Your memory is playing tricks.

The new passport is identical to the old except "European Union" is removed. It doesn't say "British passport".

That is not the new design. See the one Patel is holding.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I've decided to sit this mayoral election out. Our candidate is completely useless (and racist towards Asians). Sadiq looks unbeatable despite being completely useless and, IMO, having a negative attitude that has hurt the business environment and Rory doesn't have a chance despite being the best candidate.

No, I meant from a campaigning perspective. I've got a fairly large position on Sadiq already.
    Indeed.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

If you didnt care about the change it would not upset you so much that they are smugly satisfied about it. I guarantee they dont care about it except that it upsets opponents to a disproportionate degree.

So yes it is smugness but you're only encouraging them to pursue similar smug opportunities by getting so annoyed. Its classic trolling.
    Yes, but it's also reasonable to point out when someone clearly does care a great deal and is very upset about it but was saying they dont care. It doesnt undermine your point but you do care what the colour is because you dont like the colour being changed for political reasons.
    The colour per se is not the issue, it’s what it’s being used to symbolise that’s the problem. By carrying this passport, I am carrying someone else’s political baggage.

I am afraid that so much is going to change now we are an independent nation you are going to be in permanent meltdown unless you can relax a little.

G, you have to be joking with independent, Scotland as part of the UK is being treated like a colony. Roll on real independence from this corrupt colonial union.
    You're not a colony, you're just a region within the UK. Like the North West or South East.
    Fe**ing halfwitted cretinous ignoramus.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

This one does.

• Options

Barnesian said:

This one does.

That smirk. Cheeky. :D
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    IanB2 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

So relax some.
    What about all those golf yobbos at the Ryder Cup?
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Barnesian said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Grim seeing Priti

Actually,

What will happen now?

Exactly.

bollox mine was black as the earl of hell's waistcoat
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

If you didnt care about the change it would not upset you so much that they are smugly satisfied about it. I guarantee they dont care about it except that it upsets opponents to a disproportionate degree.

So yes it is smugness but you're only encouraging them to pursue similar smug opportunities by getting so annoyed. Its classic trolling.
    Yes, but it's also reasonable to point out when someone clearly does care a great deal and is very upset about it but was saying they dont care. It doesnt undermine your point but you do care what the colour is because you dont like the colour being changed for political reasons.

G, you have to be joking with independent, Scotland as part of the UK is being treated like a colony. Roll on real independence from this corrupt colonial union.
    You're not a colony, you're just a region within the UK. Like the North West or South East.
    A most generous and kind compliment from you, malc. :o
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Truth hurts?

Don't worry, England's the same. Just a rather bigger region within the UK. Big enough that if we make a strong decision we can make a decision for the whole UK but that's democracy.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Barnesian said:

IanB2 said:

Barnesian said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Grim seeing Priti

/blockquote>

Actually,

Exactly.

That is not the new design. See the one Patel is holding.
    Ah yes. You're right. My new 10 year passport is not the new new one. The new new one is similar to the old old one but a different colour.

And the new new passport is black, which can appear to be a very dark navy blue but isn't.

Glad everything is clear. Glad I saved my old passport and my old old passport and look forward to my new new passport in ten years time.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

IanB2 said:

Barnesian said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Grim seeing Priti

Actually,

Well,

Exactly.n.

I'm talking about the new blue passport. Not the substitute holding pattern maroon one.

British passports are either maroon or dark navy blue, and the pre 88 passports were referred to as the "old blue":

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_passport

You can also see here how it can look black but, if you pay attention, it really is a dark navy blue.

• Options
    MaxPB said:

malcolmg said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Only to end up as s colony of Brussels...
    You obviously know little about the EU then. Brussels may be nice for mussels and french fries but it does not rule Europe. I can see why unionists think England treating Scotland like a colony is all right.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Barnesian said:

This one does.

That smirk. Cheeky. :D
    Her biggest problem is that smirk.

She always looks smug and it puts people off.
  • Options

TGOHF666 said:

IanB2 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

So relax some.

You have an obsession with trying to link the Union flag to fascism and sectarianism.

Does it make you feel better about your insecurity over being a nationalist yourself?
    He is only portraying the reality of unionism in Scotland, full of fascism and sectarianism as you can see.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Not going to happen Malc but we are both entitled to our opinions
    Absolutely G, I see the fishermen are starting to crack as they see the Tories shafting them , immigration rules that scupper them first and then coup de grace to come when they get sold to the EU as a pawn for London.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,340
    edited February 2020
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Yes.. he missed out at the beginning .. "You are just an increasingly irrelevant region within the uk….
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

You obviously know little about the EU then. Brussels may be nice for mussels and french fries but it does not rule Europe. I can see why unionists think England treating Scotland like a colony is all right.

How are you a colony of the UK any more than say the North West of England which has a comparable number of voters? You're not a colony, you're just a minority.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

TGOHF666 said:

IanB2 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

So relax some.

You have an obsession with trying to link the Union flag to fascism and sectarianism.

Does it make you feel better about your insecurity over being a nationalist yourself?
    He is only portraying the reality of unionism in Scotland, full of fascism and sectarianism as you can see.
    Yes, that picture is an accurate representation of unionism in Scotland

How many turnips have you been smoking this morning?
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,970
    edited February 2020
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Indeed.
    Quite a long way to go, and I wouldn't yet rule out Rory the no longer a Tory building up some kind of momentum, especially given the uninspiring candidates proffered by the Tories and LDs.
  • Options

Both do. I'm consistent, I think its best for both Scotland and England if we go independent, but until then I consider myself both English and British.

My point is that dipshits don't represent me (or you) regardless of what they fly. There are arsehats of every stripe so guilt by association is absurd. Make sense?

I know that the Rangers supporting dipshits who rip out Hitlergruß on a regular basis in my city are part of a growing and increasingly militant section of Unionism. It would be nice if some Unionists condemned that rather than bleat on about how it wasn't going stop them luvving their fleg.

I'll happily condemn any and all racist dipshits. Doesn't alter my views on the flag any more than racists marching behind the Saltire should affect yours.
    I hinted in a reply to Flashy that the poster known as Philip_Thompson was represented by Nazi saluters in George Square? Golly, that's some amount of divination.

The actualité of both pics is that they're pretty much the same people, right wing racists and xenophobes, and inter alia supporters of the Union.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

malcolmg said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Actually, and even tho I am a remainer, I loathe the idea being fostered within the EU that we are ALL Europeans....

We were an independent nation before. Nothing has changed in that respect. There is nothing to say that the current political situation is a permanent settlement. Let’s hope we get rid of nationalist and populists currently in charge.
    I think you are going to be very disappointed. By the next election being a member of the EU will have long gone and we will be in a very different place internationally

Indeed witnessing the chaos and anger between nations in the EU over their budget contributions and the obvious discord over a UK - Canada deal the EU are facing massive issues that so many in the UK will be relieved to be away from.

The EU are learning how valuable we were to them and maybe all those years ago they should have accommodated David Cameron's requests but then Junckers, Tusk and others had no foresight or statesmanship
    G , where are you seeing reports of this chaos and anger , I have seen on report in a Tory rag. Made up garbage to keep the illusion of Brexit being a good thing I am afraid. EU will royally shaft the imbeciles we have negotiating and it will be NO deal as was always obvious.
    https://ft.com/content/c3e2ef6e-53ed-11ea-8841-482eed0038b1

From that Leaver rag the, err, FT.
    As I said, a Tory rag
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

If you could just for once accept that the UK leaving the EU has left a large deficit in the EU budgets that no one wants to fill it would be a start. Germany is not seeking to increase her budget contributions and indeed Merkel is seeking a rebate. This weekend the EU was to agree the next six year budget but the meeting broke up yesterday with not a hope of agreement across the EU states

Barnier insists the UK cannot have a Canada deal but Paul Hogan, the EU commissioner, says there is no problem with this deal, thereby showing the cracks within the EU over Brexit

Covid 19 is causing part shortages across the EU, and of course the UK, and this is adding to the serious problems

I read a wide spectrum of media and generally avoid the express (toe rag to you no doubt) and this is widely reported including in the guardian

You do need to take your blinkers off re the EU to be fair
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Yes.. he missed out at the beginning .. "You are just an increasingly irrelevant region within the uk….
    So irrelevant you losers have to resort to every trick in the book to hold on to us.
  • Options

Barnesian said:

IanB2 said:

Barnesian said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Grim seeing Priti

Actually,

Well,

Exactly.n.

I'm talking about the new blue passport. Not the substitute holding pattern maroon one.

British passports are either maroon or dark navy blue, and the pre 88 passports were referred to as the "old blue":

You can also see here how it can look black but, if you pay attention, it really is a dark navy blue.

Mine is black no matter which way I look at it
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited February 2020
    Barnesian said:

IanB2 said:

Barnesian said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Grim seeing Priti

Actually,

What will happen now?

Exactly.

No, the old one is dark blue. The shade changed a bit through time and the most recent one looks almost black.

Just Google and you'll find old ones that are more obviously blue.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

If you could just for once accept that the UK leaving the EU has left a large deficit in the EU budgets that no one wants to fill it would be a start. Germany is not seeking to increase her budget contributions and indeed Merkel is seeking a rebate. This weekend the EU was to agree the next six year budget but the meeting broke up yesterday with not a hope of agreement across the EU states

Barnier insists the UK cannot have a Canada deal but Paul Hogan, the EU commissioner, says there is no problem with this deal, thereby showing the cracks within the EU over Brexit

Covid 19 is causing part shortages across the EU, and of course the UK, and this is adding to the serious problems

I read a wide spectrum of media and generally avoid the express (toe rag to you no doubt) and this is widely reported including in the guardian

I want back in G and hopefully will not have too long to wait , assuming I am spared.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Barnesian said:

IanB2 said:

Barnesian said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Grim seeing Priti

Actually,

Well,

Exactly.n.

Do you have a view on what style you prefer?
  • Options

I hinted in a reply to Flashy that the poster known as Philip_Thompson was represented by Nazi saluters in George Square? Golly, that's some amount of divination.

The actualité of both pics is that they're pretty much the same people, right wing racists and xenophobes, and inter alia supporters of the Union.
    No you hinted at Flashy that anyone who adopts the Union flag is represented by the fascist bigots under the Union flag. Not me specifically.

Both pictures are racists and xenophobes of that I agree. I have no knowledge of whether they're left or right, unionist or nationalist.

I am not a unionist but I am British and will happily fly or support the British flag as it is my country unless or until England becomes independent.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Indeed.
    Quite a long way to go, and I wouldn't yet rule out Rory the no longer a Tory building up some kind of momentum, especially given the uninspiring candidates proffered by the Tories and LDs.
    I would, he's not got the Tories on board (he's too much of a remainer) and Sadiq hasn't done anything terrible to lose.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

I want back in G and hopefully will not have too long to wait , assuming I am spared.
    I really hope you are spared and also your good lady has recovered

I have no idea what will happen but the EU has real problems and tensions and how they resolve them will be interesting to see

Many want to rejoin the EU but to be honest Malc, the EU is a smokescreen for independence, some Scots have been fighting for this throughout my lifetime
  • Options

Barnesian said:

IanB2 said:

Barnesian said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Grim seeing Priti

Actually,

Exactly.

No, the old one is dark blue. The shade changed a bit through time and the most recent one looks almost black.

I googled. You're right. There are some blue ones. This one for instance.

Read the words
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,874
    edited February 2020

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Indeed.
    I think Rory could come in second in the first vote, and if he does he’ll pick up a lot of preferences in the runoff.

Sadly I think Khan will walk it, which given his record is very disappointing. He’s 1.13 on Betfair, around 1/8.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

So irrelevant you losers have to resort to every trick in the book to hold on to us.

What tricks? We happily let you Scots have a vote and your countrymen were to frit to vote for independence. Then to put salt on your wound no doubt 2 years later we were not too frit to do so. Don't blame us just because your countrymen made the wrong decision.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,395

malcolmg said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Or England.
    Yes.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

IanB2 said:

Barnesian said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Grim seeing Priti

Actually,

Exactly.

Read the words
    As published in the Express
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,619
    edited February 2020
    So what do people think of Boris not turning up to the floods?

I'm conflicted. When these people do I get annoyed as they are just wasting people's time and doing sod all good, but then when they don't it looks like incompetence and not caring. I guess if there was some way of convincing people that your guys had it all under control and you didn't want to get in the way then that would be ok.

At the moment the UK Govt response to the liner off Japan and the floods looks hopeless, but it might be they are doing all the right stuff, but the message on R4 this morning was they wanted to keep Boris under wraps to avoid public incidents aka as they did in the election.
  • Options
    Data are racist.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

IanB2 said:

Barnesian said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Grim seeing Priti

Actually,

Exactly.

Read the words
    I'd choose that one if it was an option.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

IanB2 said:

Barnesian said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Grim seeing Priti

Actually,

Exactly.

Read the words
    Wow, so funny.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,340

malcolmg said:

What tricks? We happily let you Scots have a vote and your countrymen were to frit to vote for independence. Then to put salt on your wound no doubt 2 years later we were not too frit to do so. Don't blame us just because your countrymen made the wrong decision.
    .. made the RIGHT decision ?
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,150

Data are racist.

I'm intrigued.
    (But I approve of the plural)

• Options
    kjh said:

I'm conflicted. When these people do I get annoyed as they are just wasting people's time and doing sod all good, but then when they don't it looks like incompetence and not caring. I guess if there was some way of convincing people that your guys had it all under control and you didn't want to get in the way then that would be ok.

At the moment the UK Govt response to the liner off Japan and the floods looks hopeless, but it might be they are doing all the right stuff, but the message on R4 this morning was they wanted to keep Boris under wraps to avoid public incidents aka as they did in the election.

He should only turn up when he's got some constructive help to offer such as announcing DREDGING.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited February 2020

malcolmg said:

.. made the RIGHT decision ?
    Not in either Malcolm's nor my opinion. Either way though it was the Scots free choice, freely made, knowing that the Tories were pledging an independence referendum of their own.
  • Options
    kjh said:

David Davies was getting very angry (quite unnecessarily so) on C4 news last night when he was asked about it.
  • Options
    kjh said:

No easy answers - but Corbyn visiting Wales demanding Boris calls a cobra meeting and takes action is beyond parody when it is labour who are responsible here in Wales

Corbyn is frankly yesterdays news and needs to go and attend his allotment having been an utter failure for the labour party.

Mind you I see RLB wants him in her cabinet thereby condemning labour to the widerness
  • Options
    Football question - Does anyone know what the record is for biggest lead at the end of the day in the table in the past? Or if Liverpool has the the record this season with their 25 point (but City has a game in hand) lead, what the old record was before then?

Looking ahead at the fixtures, I think Liverpool have a good chance of reaching a lead of over 30 points (with City having a game in hand).
  • Options
    edited February 2020

kjh said:

No easy answers - but Corbyn visiting Wales demanding Boris calls a cobra meeting and takes action is beyond parody when it is labour who are responsible here in Wales

Corbyn is frankly yesterdays news and needs to go and attend his allotment having been an utter failure for the labour party.

Mind you I see RLB wants him in her cabinet thereby condemning labour to the widerness
    Those involved in active rescue situations don’t want a VIP and all their hangers-on and security anywhere near the place - it adds nothing and distracts people from the primary task at hand.

Afterwards is fine though, when there are people who would appreciate the PM visiting to say thanks to responders or to meet those who have suffered losses.

I suspect that, even if the PM did meet selected responders and flood victims, Corbyn would still be criticising him for coming and going quickly and not meeting ‘real’ people - by which he means a Momentum hate-mob determined to cause disruption and headlines.

And yes, Corbyn’s criticism of the PM over an issue that’s devolved is very disingenuous.
  • Options

kjh said:

No more bonkers than Starmer seemingly being prepared to have RLB and Burgon in his cabinet.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    MaxPB said:

egg said:

😄. I expect you would have said the monarchy is over for the UK the month after Charles head was sliced off?

I think there's still a genuine affection for the monarchy, even today. It will have been much greater back then, especially among the powerful land owning classes.

The EU isn't loved by the majority, it isn't loved by the majority of remainers, merely tolerated. This place has a very high proportion of Lib Dems compared to the real world so what is said about losing the burgundy passport and such isn't really relevant to the nation as a whole. My reading of it is that people don't give a fuck.
    The current monarch is generally respected but the rest of the royal family are an increasingly unedifying circus. Even the Queen doesn't seem to get it as far as Andrew and his horrendous family are concerned. It's best chance survival is for Charles to slim it down to a handful of people in line with the other few remaining monarchies in the world.

Agree re passports, not sure how anybody is bothered what colour their travel documents are.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Barnesian said:

IanB2 said:

Barnesian said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Grim seeing Priti

Actually,

Well,

Exactly.n.

Do you have a view on what style you prefer?
    No , it is only an ID document, I have no care how it looks etc as long as it is fit for purpose.
  • Options

I have no knowledge of whether they're left or right, unionist or nationalist.

Well you've learned something today, that the Scottish Defence League and twats with a tendency pop off Nazi salutes in George Square are indeed right wing and supporters of the Union. Wouldn't have thought that it needed Einstein to work it out, mind.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

kjh said:

Those involved in active rescue situations don’t want a VIP and all their hangers-on and security anywhere near the place - it adds nothing and distracts people from the primary task at hand.

Afterwards is fine though, when there are people who would appreciate the PM visiting to say thanks to responders or to meet those who have suffered losses.

I suspect that, even if the PM did meet selected responders and flood victims, Corbyn would still be criticising him for coming and going quickly and not meeting ‘real’ people - by which he means a Momentum hate-mob determined to cause disruption and headlines.

And yes, Corbyn’s criticism of the PM over an issue that’s devolved is very disingenuous.
    Why is the big buffoon in hiding
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    eadric said:

The next Presidential Election: Agent Orange versus Captain Scarlet.

Not sure that works, Captain Black was controlled by the Mysterons.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

for sure there were too many Scottish cringers frightened by unionists saying their pensions might go down a pound or two, though it was EU citizens and English votes that swung it. SNP being fair cost them the victory.
  • Options

Well you've learned something today, that the Scottish Defence League and twats with a tendency pop off Nazi salutes in George Square are indeed right wing and supporters of the Union. Wouldn't have thought that it needed Einstein to work it out, mind.
    Haven't learned either. What right wing views, as opposed to xenophobic or racist ones, do they have?

Right is not a synonym for racist and xenophobic.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,974

kjh said:

David Davies was getting very angry (quite unnecessarily so) on C4 news last night when he was asked about it.
    Reminds of the cards that were available at one time in hospitals; 'If Mrs Thatchers visits I don't want her near me.'

I think there were Boris ones, too, but for some reason I don't remember Blair ones.
  • Options

Haven't learned either. What right wing views, as opposed to xenophobic or racist ones, do they have?

Most of them would struggle to tie their shoe laces they are so thick.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

for sure there were too many Scottish cringers frightened by unionists saying their pensions might go down a pound or two, though it was EU citizens and English votes that swung it. SNP being fair cost them the victory.
    Indeed. The same arguments were levied during the EU referendum but thankfully the English and Welsh voters weren't cowed into being too frightened.

Fingers crossed in ~10 to 20 years time when the Scots next have a ballot they won't be cowed a second time.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,974

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Indeed. The same arguments were levied during the EU referendum but thankfully the English and Welsh voters weren't cowed into being too frightened.

Fingers crossed in ~10 to 20 years time when the Scots next have a ballot they won't be cowed a second time.
    Funny that; I always thought it was Remain which was principled and fair and Leave which deceived voters.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Funny that; I always thought it was Remain which was principled and fair and Leave which deceived voters.
    Say what? I’m still waiting for that emergency budget.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Indeed.
    I would, he's not got the Tories on board (he's too much of a remainer) and Sadiq hasn't done anything terrible to lose.
    I'm sure that you have greater insight into the pathology of the Tory party than I do, but from the outside it does seem strange to describe someone, who when in Parliament, voted three times in favour of the Withdrawal Bill as 'too much of a remainer' for them.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721
    edited February 2020
    Foxy said:

One little piece of history went unremarked yesterday. Our last military base in Germany has now been handed back.

https://twitter.com/paul_lever/status/1230995902040596481?s=19

It's not strange because that it was happening has been known for years, so while it is a notable moment, it has been noted. The precise date of it happening being noted would only be of interest to historians.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Butcher's apron, christ, are you twelve?
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Indeed.
    I'm sure that you have greater insight into the pathology of the Tory party than I do, but from the outside it does seem strange to describe someone, who when in Parliament, voted three times in favour of the Withdrawal Bill as 'too much of a remainer' for them.
    Proof of seeking to leave was deemed not sufficient at the time. Now anyone who opposed Boris's own plans is lumped together as though Rory was the same as Adonis for example.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Indeed.
    He abandoned the party over brexit policy when it finally looked like we would leave.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

MaxPB said:

egg said:

😄. I expect you would have said the monarchy is over for the UK the month after Charles head was sliced off?

I think there's still a genuine affection for the monarchy, even today. It will have been much greater back then, especially among the powerful land owning classes.

The EU isn't loved by the majority, it isn't loved by the majority of remainers, merely tolerated. This place has a very high proportion of Lib Dems compared to the real world so what is said about losing the burgundy passport and such isn't really relevant to the nation as a whole. My reading of it is that people don't give a fuck.
    The current monarch is generally respected but the rest of the royal family are an increasingly unedifying circus. Even the Queen doesn't seem to get it as far as Andrew and his horrendous family are concerned. It's best chance survival is for Charles to slim it down to a handful of people in line with the other few remaining monarchies in the world.
    Which is his plan I thought.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

"Principled and fair" like the £4,300 per family claim? Like saying the EU was what was preventing war? Like implying WWIII if we voted to Leave? Like implying anyone who voted to Leave was racist?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Fair?
  • Options
    Another fool who wants Trump to have four more years.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Indeed.
    Lets not keep up the pretence that May's Meaningful Vote was voting to Leave.

Rory voted against leaving.
  • Options
    kjh said:

I'm not conflicted in the slightest. Either the government response is working well in which case showing up achieves nothing, or it is not working well and sorting it out will not be aided by Boris getting his wellies on. Some people present in such areas ask where the PM is on these occasions, so there's theoretically some people who would feel better if he did, even if just so they could moan at him, but like I don't think, in most cases, that going walkabout is useful, and as a society we need to grow up from thinking it shows people don't care.

I don't see that happening, since it happens no matter who or which party is in power, but the pointlessness of it is shown by further reactions - if someone does show up does that stop people saying the response is incompetent or they don't care? Not noticably.
  • Options
    Coronavirus - Two Iranians tested positive in UAE.

https://www.thenational.ae/uae/health/uae-confirms-two-new-cases-of-coronavirus-bringing-total-to-13-1.982752

Now 13 confirmed cases in UAE, and 28 in Iran including five fatalities.

IMO this is now way out of control in Iran.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

One little piece of history went unremarked yesterday. Our last military base in Germany has now been handed back.

It's not strange because that it was happening has been known for years, so while it is a notable moment, it has been noted. The precise date of it happening being noted would only be of interest to historians.
    I get your point but realistically what percentage of the nation has known of this date for years? Sub 1%? Certainly sub 10% so newsworthy imo. Plenty wouldnt even have known we even had active bases in Germany let alone the status of them closing down.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Indeed.

Let's not keep up the pretence that that is the universal opinion. You may disagree but Boris and JRM, to name but two, agreed in the end that May's MV was voting to Leave, if a very poor form of it. Rory voted to Leave, and more than that he was one of the few who worked hard to convince others to back that leave (as many more did).

So no, we don't have to pretend May's deal was not leaving. You don't have to change your opinion on that, but it hasn't suddenly become inarguable because Boris got a different Leave.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

I get your point but realistically what percentage of the nation has known of this date for years? Sub 1%? Certainly sub 10% so newsworthy imo. Plenty wouldnt even have known we even had active bases in Germany let alone the status of them closing down.
    I'd suggest its newsworthy and noteworthy in a similar way to the UK leaving Hong Kong was in 1997 even if the date had been set well in advance.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Indeed.

We have always been at war with Oceania
  • Options
    I wish there was more of a balance between admiring someone for being pretty consistent in their principles (though with a focus on what those principles are) versus in effect praising them for never changing their mind, which doesn't seem that great a thing for me.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Most of them would struggle to tie their shoe laces they are so thick.
    We must end the stigma of adults wearing velcro!
  • Options

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

I guess - I suppose the question is how much is it newsworthy given it was long announced. More than has been the case, perhaps, but not a huge story. I grant I know more about it because I'm in Wiltshire where there's been a pretty big impact from the preparations for the change.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

I'd suggest its newsworthy and noteworthy in a similar way to the UK leaving Hong Kong was in 1997 even if the date had been set well in advance.
    That was more newsworthy (and indeed had global coverage) as it was the end of the Empire.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,684

"Principled and fair" like the £4,300 per family claim? Like saying the EU was what was preventing war? Like implying WWIII if we voted to Leave? Like implying anyone who voted to Leave was racist?
    The problem with that line of argument is that the Remain campaign was dominated by top Tories, as was the Leave campaign. The style of both campaigns, with their exaggeration and downright lying, was characteristic of the way Conservtives do things these day. Provided they "win", they care nothing for the damage they do to the way politics work in this country.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Indeed.
    I think Rory could come in second in the first vote, and if he does he’ll pick up a lot of preferences in the runoff.

Sadly I think Khan will walk it, which given his record is very disappointing. He’s 1.13 on Betfair, around 1/8.
    He's only down there because I snatched everything from 1.2 down to 1.15 this morning.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,260
    kle4 said:

kjh said:

I'm not conflicted in the slightest. Either the government response is working well in which case showing up achieves nothing, or it is not working well and sorting it out will not be aided by Boris getting his wellies on. Some people present in such areas ask where the PM is on these occasions, so there's theoretically some people who would feel better if he did, even if just so they could moan at him, but like I don't think, in most cases, that going walkabout is useful, and as a society we need to grow up from thinking it shows people don't care.

I don't see that happening, since it happens no matter who or which party is in power, but the pointlessness of it is shown by further reactions - if someone does show up does that stop people saying the response is incompetent or they don't care? Not noticably.
    The point is that it demonstrates concern, is evidence of priority, offers at least a glimpse of accountability, and helps attract media attention toward the plight of the victims.

As a local politician seeing and hearing things first hand rarely failed to push it up my agenda and enabled me to speak with more authority to others.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Indeed.

Let's not keep up the pretence that that is the universal opinion. You may disagree but Boris and JRM, to name but two, agreed in the end that May's MV was voting to Leave, if a very poor form of it. Rory voted to Leave, and more than that he was one of the few who worked hard to convince others to back that leave (as many more did).

So no, we don't have to pretend May's deal was not leaving. You don't have to change your opinion on that, but it hasn't suddenly become inarguable because Boris got a different Leave.
    I'm not just talking about May's Meaningless Brexit deal which I opposed all 3 times. I would forgive him for voting for that.

Rory repeatedly also voting against leaving and to extend Article 50 to keep us in.
  • Options
    eadric said:

Sandpit said:

https://www.thenational.ae/uae/health/uae-confirms-two-new-cases-of-coronavirus-bringing-total-to-13-1.982752

“Potentially 400,000 deaths in the UK”

“Are we over-reacting?”

https://twitter.com/zachary31411891/status/1228548058713120768?s=21
    Yes. Yes you are overreacting.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,989

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

That was more newsworthy (and indeed had global coverage) as it was the end of the Empire.
    Don't be a doomster/gloomster. You've still got Southern Thule.
  • Options
    eadric said:

Sandpit said:

“Are we over-reacting?”

We're tired of experts.
  • Options

eadric said:

Sandpit said:

“Are we over-reacting?”

We're tired of experts.
    And there’s no such thing as society.
This discussion has been closed.