Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ohio Senator Sherrod Brown – now being talked about as a compr

Comments

• nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    edited February 2020

eadric said:
    Well at least they have something to do whilst they're in quarantine.
    SIX new cases in Valencia officially reported not sure of location but quite an escalation. The brothel story is about eight hours old but nothing official that I can see.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,730
    nichomar said:

eadric said:
    SIX new cases in Valencia officially reported not sure of location but quite an escalation. The brother story is about eight hours old but nothing official that I can see.
    Someone text me that earlier, but I thought it was fake news!
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,674

malcolmg said:

Oh great...

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/feb/27/coronavirus-england-only-has-15-beds-for-worst-respiratory-cases

Can't see the government coming out of this smelling of roses if it gets bad.

Carlotta will be on soon to say the SNP run NHS is much worse and only has a few hundred
    No worries. The bracing air north of the border should stop it from spreading. And, if you do get it, a few wee drams will see the afflicted alright.
    Yes will be no bother , might have to put a jumper on mind you.
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited February 2020

Today's shocking news from a Labour extremist is that a union booed a Tory minister.

Tomorrow's shocking news is that a footballer kicked a ball.
    https://twitter.com/pickardje/status/1232679362912247811?s=21
    We should abolish subsidies like the Kiwis did.

I note that the largest cuts are going to the largest recipients, I do seem to recall talk of that at the time of the referendum, that there was criticism the EU system led to large grants to a few large landholders.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,674
    edited February 2020

malcolmg said:

More deliberate SNP policies to benefit Scotland, where is Carlotta.
    https://twitter.com/theSNP/status/1233075874393731074

Not sure about that. Downgrading of maternity services a big issue across the north of Scotland - constantly in the local press. Scotland is more than the Central Belt.
    Yes of course not perfect , hard given the geography , but they are making a decent fist of it and beat England on almost every measure.
    They are doing a reasonable job despite the crap Carlotta spouts.
    PS Merging to bigger and bigger maternity units happens in central belt as well, has its pluses and minuses.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,009

eadric said:

90% of businesses are gonna suffer from this virus. But not all. It’s time to start thinking who BENEFITS from a wide pandemic requiring mass quarantine..

My initial list

Netflix (their shares are UP)
    Publishers and writers (lots more time to read)
    Journalists and journalism (same reason, plus desire for news)
    Food delivery companies
    Drone manufacturers
    Dettol
    Staycation companies in remoter parts of the uk: holiday cottages in the Grampians are a BUY
    Remote work companies
    Crossword puzzle makers

Who else?

Those making conference calling facilities.
    Mask manufacturers.

I would particularly recommend MasksRUs amd EasyMask. The latter has a handy whisky infusion attachment to make the pandemic experience a more soothing one.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,958
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Oh great...

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/feb/27/coronavirus-england-only-has-15-beds-for-worst-respiratory-cases

Carlotta will be on soon to say the SNP run NHS is much worse and only has a few hundred
    No worries. The bracing air north of the border should stop it from spreading. And, if you do get it, a few wee drams will see the afflicted alright.
    Use IrnBru as a hand sanitizer. Nothing could live after coming into contact with it.

eadric said:
    Now wash your hands.....
  • I'm off to Belfast for a wedding in a fortnight.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    CatMan said:
    Unless the deal is going to be done before the Spring, I don't see how this is after the fact.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,009
    No, but seriously, the best strategy is obviously to stay at home for a few weeks and dispose of that Brexit stockpile that's taking up useful space.

They laughed at us with our mounds of baked beans. I don't think they're laughing now ...
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,081
    eadric said:

Oh great...

Don't worry Boris Johnson will heal the lepers and sick.
    Boris Johnson has always been a lucky general. It looks like his luck may have run out, bigtime. If he really has an inner Churchill, he needs to emerge very soon.

I don’t see how we avoid an epidemic in the UK now.
    Call yourself British? Make a cup of tea. And go wash your hands again.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074

Canada to stop paying towards Harry and Meghan's security 'within weeks'

https://f7td5.app.goo.gl/o9UgkX

Sent via @updayUK

So who will? Them? Or the British taxpayer?
  • RobD said:

CatMan said:
    Unless the deal is going to be done before the Spring, I don't see how this is after the fact.
    The crazy things is that they have established their negotiating position before talking to the stakeholders. Trade experts warned about this a while back: if you are negotiating an FTA, you normally do a whole load of detailed work first. Instead, this government just puts its hands over its ears, and seems to have set out its negotiating position on the basis of the rantings of a weirdo and misfit.
  • eadric said:
    Now wash your hands.....
    And a few more bits.
    I was there last weekend.

#prayforAlastair
  • BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,394
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Not sure about that. Downgrading of maternity services a big issue across the north of Scotland - constantly in the local press. Scotland is more than the Central Belt.
    Yes of course not perfect , hard given the geography , but they are making a decent fist of it and beat England on almost every measure.
    PS Merging to bigger and bigger maternity units happens in central belt as well, has its pluses and minuses.
    Well, maybe. But mums-to-be not very impressed at having to drive to Inverness from Caithness to give birth. Nor from Moray to Aberdeen. Not much fun with contractions. It a real big minus and not going down well at all.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

RobD said:

CatMan said:
    The crazy things is that they have established their negotiating position before talking to the stakeholders. Trade experts warned about this a while back: if you are negotiating an FTA, you normally do a whole load of detailed work first. Instead, this government just puts its hands over its ears, and seems to have set out its negotiating position on the basis of the rantings of a weirdo and misfit.
    You seem surprised. I find that surprising.
    Cyclefree said:

Sent via @updayUK

The bank of grandma and dad.
  • ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    Very bad past few hours for the old beer flu.

Italy: 420 -> 650 infected, 12 dead to 17 dead

Norn Iron first case.

Sweden: 1 -> 7 cases

South Korea over 500 new cases today

Germany has gone from 19 to over double that, cluster of 14 found in NRW, 8 in Baden-Wurttenberg

Denmark 0 to 4

France 2 unexplained deaths

Seems like we're reaching the point where we'll struggle to keep progression slow.
  • Jonathan said:

RobD said:

CatMan said:
    You seem surprised. I find that surprising.
    I'm not at all surprised:

https://www7.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2019/07/24/why-ive-resigned-from-the-conservative-party/
    I was there last weekend.

#prayforAlastair
    I think I'll send a message to the bride and groom to be saying 'Sorry I can't attend your wedding, maybe next time?'
  • Chameleon said:

Norn Iron first case.

Germany has gone from 19 to over double that, cluster of 14 found in NRW, 8 in Baden-Wurttenberg

Denmark 0 to 4

Seems like we're reaching the point where we'll struggle to keep progression slow.

I fear that the worst problem is one you don't mention: Iran. We can't reliably know how many cases they've got. I don't expect they do, they won't have the testing capacity. But looking at what has been reported, it seems to have spread there very widely indeed.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited February 2020
    Chris said:

No, but seriously, the best strategy is obviously to stay at home for a few weeks and dispose of that Brexit stockpile that's taking up useful space.

They laughed at us with our mounds of baked beans. I don't think they're laughing now ...

Even a few weeks at home won't dent the stockpile Mrs U bought from CostCo. I think we have enough toothpaste and bog roll to last until the Lib Dems are next in a position to form a government on their own.
  • Don't want to

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Well, maybe. But mums-to-be not very impressed at having to drive to Inverness from Caithness to give birth. Nor from Moray to Aberdeen. Not much fun with contractions. It a real big minus and not going down well at all.
    My brother just told us my sister-in-law has gone into labour, luckily she's a doctor at the Aberdeen Hospital.

Fingers crossed...
  • nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

Chameleon said:

Norn Iron first case.

Denmark 0 to 4

I fear that the worst problem is one you don't mention: Iran. We can't reliably know how many cases they've got. I don't expect they do, they won't have the testing capacity. But looking at what has been reported, it seems to have spread there very widely indeed.
    33 in California?
  • CatMan said:
    Foster still hasn't learnt that the decision has already been made. The decision was taken 4 years ago that we are leaving the EU, that we are taking back control of our laws, borders, money and natural resources like fish.

Foster like many Remainers seems to think its up for debate. That we are yet to decide what kind of future we'll take. He seems to wish whether we will be aligned or not in laws is a decision to be made based on evidence to be presented now. Its not, the evidence was presented 4 years ago.

Those who believed that breaking our alignment presented their case 4 years ago. Those who believed it was for the best presented their case 4 years ago. The public decided 4 years ago.

Time to get on with it now.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,065

Oh great...

I am sure that Dr Foxy said that that treatment cost £50k per patient per treatment and can only be used on somebody for about a week. That is why there are hardly any of them. And it didn't help the whistle-blower doctor in China when they used it on him.

For example, I believe Wales has 0 of them.
    Not me, but sounds about right. ECMO is a very expensive and personnel intensive. We have one of the few UK units at the Glenfield Hospital in Leicester.
    edited February 2020

Chameleon said:

Snip

Yep, I didn't include it because the numbers are meaningless. The odds of 140 cases leading to 26 deaths quite early on is minimal. A few days back Iran exported as many cases as it said it had total!

France just announced 20 new cases.

https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1233105893027434496?s=21
    This is going to make it's way into general circulation the UK, there's no doubt now. Between our elderly population and small excess medical capacity a big outbreak would be quite sub-optimal. Was it on here that DrFoxy(?) said that 1000 cases would overwhelm Northants-Leicestershire?

CatMan said:
    Foster still hasn't learnt that the decision has already been made. The decision was taken 4 years ago that we are leaving the EU, that we are taking back control of our laws, borders, money and natural resources like fish.

Foster like many Remainers seems to think its up for debate. That we are yet to decide what kind of future we'll take. He seems to wish whether we will be aligned or not in laws is a decision to be made based on evidence to be presented now. Its not, the evidence was presented 4 years ago.

Those who believed that breaking our alignment presented their case 4 years ago. Those who believed it was for the best presented their case 4 years ago. The public decided 4 years ago.

Nah, that's a load of horseshit. The Prime Minister has an oven ready deal.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Oh great...

Use IrnBru as a hand sanitizer. Nothing could live after coming into contact with it.
    Not since they changed the recipe. Not the same since.
    isam said:

Sorry to be ungentlemanly, but to me Greta Thunberg manages to look like an infant and an OAP at the same time.

It's that Stephen Merchant thing again....

https://twitter.com/mostlygeordie/status/1187821651779641344/photo/1
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    edited February 2020

CatMan said:

Four years ago Leavers were telling us a deal could be negotiated with the EU on very favourable terms in five minutes. When I presented evidence to the contrary, you described it as a “bizarre hypothesis”.

Not only have you forgotten what the referendum campaign was about, you’ve self-radicalised to such an extent that you now fiercely oppose what you yourself once stood for.
  • justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Much of the unity in the Tory party since the Autumn has been based on the promise that No Deal has been averted. If that now ceases to be the case, to what extent will the former divisions reappear? Whilst the leading Remainers are no longer in Parliament, there are still quite a few who have gone along with Johnson as a result of that assurance and the expediency related to it. I am thinking of Sajid Javid - Stephen Crabb - Caroline Noakes - and several others. To threaten the Government's majority more than 40 potential rebels would be needed , but it should not prove too difficult to drum up circa half that number if things go seriously wrong.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    IanB2 said:

Alistair said:

eadric said:
    I work in flights, our income has been smashed.

And to go all materialistic about things this is an absolute bummer as we have share options that are vesting soon which are going to lose a lot of value.
    Spread betting companies offer bets on individual shares. You had - and probably still have - the opportunity to insure yourself, should you wish.
    @Alistair

Clearly not your fault... outside your control... need to be properly incentivised... board should reprice the options...
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

It's shite. But at the same time, like closing regional hospital A&E departments being hugely unpopular, patients ultimately get better outcomes by going to larger centralised facilities with a larger staff with more specialists.
  • justin124 said:

Much of the unity in the Tory party since the Autumn has been based on the promise that No Deal has been averted. If that now ceases to be the case, to what extent will the former divisions reappear? Whilst the leading Remainers are no longer in Parliament, there are still quite a few who have gone along with Johnson as a result of that assurance and the expediency related to it. I am thinking of Sajid Javid - Stephen Crabb - Caroline Noakes - and several others. To threaten the Government's majority more than 40 potential rebels would be needed , but it should not prove too difficult to drum up circa half that number if things go seriously wrong.

I think the problem is that there's no practical point in rebelling on such a major issue unless by doing so you can get a coherent majority in parliament for some other agreed course of action. But what would that be? As we saw in the last parliament, there's no agreement on that, and in any case opposition parties tend to want to cause mischief.

In any case I don't think you can negotiate by parliamentary resolution.

We're stuffed. The best hope is that Boris repeats his astonishing handbrake U-turn trick, and somehow manages again to convince the hardline loons that surrender is victory. But I don't think that's likely; I expect we'll get a minimal trade deal, agreed too late for business and the civil service to set up the necessary administrative arrangements, leading to substantial disruption and economic damage
    Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

Sent via @updayUK

I doubt it. They don’t pay for their own security. The reported costs of £20 mio pa would probably wipe out Charles’s annual income. Harry should pay. Plenty of other celebrities manage to pay for their own security, after all.
  • CatMan said:

Four years ago Leavers were telling us a deal could be negotiated with the EU on very favourable terms in five minutes. When I presented evidence to the contrary, you described it as a “bizarre hypothesis”.

Not only have you forgotten what the referendum campaign was about, you’ve self-radicalised to such an extent that you now fiercely oppose what you yourself once stood for.
    I still want a deal and a favourable deal can be agreed so long as all parties are prepared to treat each other as equals. The problem is the EU not wanting to view the UK as a sovereign equal . . . and people like you encouraging them not to treat us as a sovereign equal.

justin124 said:

I think the problem is that there's no practical point in rebelling on such a major issue unless by doing so you can get a coherent majority in parliament for some other agreed course of action. But what would that be? As we saw in the last parliament, there's no agreement on that, and in any case opposition parties tend to want to cause mischief.

We're stuffed. The best hope is that Boris repeats his astonishing handbrake U-turn trick, and somehow manages again to convince the hardline loons that surrender is victory. But I don't think that's likely; I expect we'll get a minimal trade deal, agreed too late for business and the civil service to set up the necessary administrative arrangements, leading to substantial disruption and economic damage
    And all in the middle of a virus-induced global recession, probably.

Joy!
  • Jonathan said:

CatMan said:

He doesn't have an oven ready deal anymore. He had an oven ready deal, it got cooked and delivered more than 3 weeks ago.
    Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

Sent via @updayUK

I doubt it. They don’t pay for their own security. The reported costs of £20 mio pa would probably wipe out Charles’s annual income. Harry should pay. Plenty of other celebrities manage to pay for their own security, after all.
    Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

Sent via @updayUK

Kids are expensive. I am sure no10 would say that if Charles can't afford them, he really shouldn't have them.
    Chameleon said:

Chameleon said:

Snip

Yep, I didn't include it because the numbers are meaningless. The odds of 140 cases leading to 26 deaths quite early on is minimal. A few days back Iran exported as many cases as it said it had total!

This is going to make it's way into general circulation the UK, there's no doubt now. Between our elderly population and small excess medical capacity a big outbreak would be quite sub-optimal. Was it on here that DrFoxy(?) said that 1000 cases would overwhelm Northants-Leicestershire?
    1000 similtaneous cases would mean circa 100 ICU cases in Leics, not including Northants. At that point triage becomes quite problematic. That is even when using operating theatres and recovery areas as overflow ICU.

This is why containment matters, even in a big outbreak.
  • The virus seems to be causing very different proportions of disastrous outcomes in different places, and among very different profiles and ages of people beyond the usual issues of quality of healthcare and organisation. Why is this ?
    Cyclefree said:

justin124 said:

Joy!
    Some of the Opposition parties - particularly the LDs and SNP - are likely now - with hindsight - to be kicking themselves for having gone along with Johnson's election plans.An election held this Spring in the circumstances of this Coronavirus outbreak may have produced a rather different outcome.
  • Looking on the positive side, I think OGH might end up taking a few staycation this year instead of going on foreign holidays.

Which means nothing major will happen in the world of politics.

I mean just look at what happened the last time Mike went on a foreign holiday, we had the prorogation crisis.

CatMan said:

I still want a deal and a favourable deal can be agreed so long as all parties are prepared to treat each other as equals. The problem is the EU not wanting to view the UK as a sovereign equal . . . and people like you encouraging them not to treat us as a sovereign equal.
    There is a difference between legal equality - the UK and the EU are equal legal entities - and power. The EU is in a more powerful position than the U.K. Any deal reached will reflect the respective strengths of the parties’ negotiating positions and what they value as important.

Boris’s government appears to value sovereignty over trade deals restricting Britain’s ability to do what it wants. All trade deals do this, to a greater or lesser extent, including WTO rules. Trade deals with countries other than the EU will do this.

What I wonder though is what the point of all this sovereignty is if we’re not actually going to use it to enter into any trade deals because these will restrict our sovereignty. Or is it only trade deals with the EU Boris hates?

• Anyone here remember the Unified Patent Court? Got a scoop today the UK will not now participate.
    https://www.iam-media.com/law-policy/uk-no-upc
  • So the new iPhone might not be delayed after all.

Apple CEO: Feels to me China is getting coronavirus under control.

https://video.foxbusiness.com/v/6136567048001/#sp=show-clips
    Foxy said:

Chameleon said:

Chameleon said:

Snip

1000 similtaneous cases would mean circa 100 ICU cases in Leics, not including Northants. At that point triage becomes quite problematic. That is even when using operating theatres and recovery areas as overflow ICU.

This is why containment matters, even in a big outbreak.
    Thank you! Yep, it seems that we can deal with a few clusters like Milan or Daegu with some creative shuffling, but the moment it escapes a cluster to a decent number of other cities there's trouble.

Interestingly the UK's 2011 pandemic plan didn't include Italian style quarantines, which feels like a mistake.

I'm no longer using the tube.
    edited February 2020

The virus seems to be causing very different proportions of disastrous outcomes in different places, and among very different profiles and ages of people beyond the usual issues of quality of healthcare and organisation. Why is this ?

The availability and speed of testing is at least as significant as the progress of the virus at the moment. There are countries including the US where things are surely worse than being reported.
    Jonathan said:

CatMan said:

but forgot to pierce the film.
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,480
    edited February 2020
    IanB2 said:

The virus seems to be causing very different proportions of disastrous outcomes in different places, and among very different profiles and ages of people beyond the usual issues of quality of healthcare and organisation. Why is this ?

The availability and speed of testing is at least as significant as the progress of the virus at the moment. There are countries including the US where things are surely worse than being reported.
    Yes, that must surely have been an issue in Iran and other places. But I suppose what I'm getting at is that there seem to be outbreaks where young and healthy people are affected, and other areas where only the elderly or chronically ill seem to be, even after a longer period for testing.
  • BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    justin124 said:

Maybe, it would be interesting to know how many of the 173 (I think) Conservative MPs who publicly backed Remain in 2016 are still MPs, I suspect a lot have ether, 1) retired, 2) lost seats in 2017, or left/throne out of the party in 2019. but I would be surprised if there ant still 100 ish left, defiantly over 40.

But will they rebel? there are a few resons to think not.

1) Those that were most prepared to risk there carears have already done so and gone.

2) The rest have seen that Boris will not hesitate to withdrew the wip.

3) standing as an indapendant MP or even Lib Dem is a not normally successful.

4) The past 3 years has shown that playing nice with the EU is not a good negotiating stratage.

5) Needing 40 MPs (well probably closer to 50 because of the SF and rebel Lab MPs) is going to be hard to Co-Ordinate without the wips office finding out.

I think that Boris playing hard ball will work, but is safer if it can be presented as the EU being unreasonable.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Looking on the positive side, I think OGH might end up taking a few staycation this year instead of going on foreign holidays.

I mean just look at what happened the last time Mike went on a foreign holiday, we had the prorogation crisis.

Let's not forget that not only Queenie and the D of E but also Chas n Cams are of an age to be in very grave danger if they get this thing. Never mind prorogation, how about a sudden accession?

IanB2 said:

Yes, that must surely be an issue in Iran and other places. But I suppose what I'm getting at is that there seems to be outbreaks where young and healthy people are affected, and other areas where only the elderly or chronically ill seem to be, even after a longer period for testing.
    Young are more likely to contract as more travel and social contact, but less likely to be severely affected. The mortality at age 40-49 at 0.4% is not insignificant though.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,960
    edited February 2020
    IshmaelZ said:

Looking on the positive side, I think OGH might end up taking a few staycation this year instead of going on foreign holidays.

Let's not forget that not only Queenie and the D of E but also Chas n Cams are of an age to be in very grave danger if they get this thing. Never mind prorogation, how about a sudden accession?
    Harry as King in 2020 would show the universe hasn't lost its banter heuristic.

Or even Randy Andy.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

IshmaelZ said:

Or even Randy Andy.
    Naah, George and his siblings will be pretty much immune even if Baldy cops it. Mind you, I suppose that leaves the door open for a Harry and Andy Regency.
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,480
    edited February 2020
    Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Yes, that must surely be an issue in Iran and other places. But I suppose what I'm getting at is that there seems to be outbreaks where young and healthy people are affected, and other areas where only the elderly or chronically ill seem to be, even after a longer period for testing.
    Young are more likely to contract as more travel and social contact, but less likely to be severely affected. The mortality at age 40-49 at 0.4% is not insignificant though.
    Have any younger local people died in the Italian outbreak ? I was struck earlier on that none seemed to have done, although I may be wrong, whereas in another, much smaller cluster elsewhere in Europe, someone from that profile appeared to have done.
    BigRich said:

justin124 said:

Maybe, it would be interesting to know how many of the 173 (I think) Conservative MPs who publicly backed Remain in 2016 are still MPs, I suspect a lot have ether, 1) retired, 2) lost seats in 2017, or left/throne out of the party in 2019. but I would be surprised if there ant still 100 ish left, defiantly over 40.

But will they rebel? there are a few resons to think not.

1) Those that were most prepared to risk there carears have already done so and gone.

2) The rest have seen that Boris will not hesitate to withdrew the wip.

3) standing as an indapendant MP or even Lib Dem is a not normally successful.

4) The past 3 years has shown that playing nice with the EU is not a good negotiating stratage.

5) Needing 40 MPs (well probably closer to 50 because of the SF and rebel Lab MPs) is going to be hard to Co-Ordinate without the wips office finding out.

I think that Boris playing hard ball will work, but is safer if it can be presented as the EU being unreasonable.
    The very earliest date for the next election is probably Autumn 2023 - with May or June 2024 more likely. The threat of withdrawing the Whip is far less effective when the MPs concerned can happily linger on the backbenchers for several years ahead - and long before we reach the pre-election period , Johnson's own position may have become much weaker than it appears at the moment.
    I think you will find that the rebel Labour MPs have also disappeared.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,750

IshmaelZ said:

Or even Randy Andy.
    We’ve had drunken paedophile/ephebophile as kings before. Richard III. John. Henry VIII. James I and VI.

Admittedly the first two were also infanticides which I don’t think anyone has accused Randy Andy of being.
    Foxy said:
    Please please tell me that is a spoof.
  • ydoethur said:

Foxy said:
    No it is a genuine, it is the sort of brilliance only three years at Cambridge can produce, the Cambridge footlights that is.
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:
    I fear not!

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Have any younger local people died in the Italian outbreak ? I was struck earlier on that none seemed to have done, although I may be wrong, whereas in another, much smaller cluster elsewhere in Europe, someone from that profile appeared to have done.
    I don't think so, but early days.
  • ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:
    No it is a genuine, it is the sort of brilliance only three years at Cambridge can produce, the Cambridge footlights that is.
    That is just extraordinary. I mean, I don’t rate Burgon but could anyone tweet that with a straight face?
    The only mistake Richard Burgon has ever made is to run in the deputy leader race and not the main leader race.

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:
    That is just extraordinary. I mean, I don’t rate Burgon but could anyone tweet that with a straight face?
    The only mistake Richard Burgon has ever made is to run in the deputy leader race and not the main leader race.
    Mr Eagles, check on your book. I think you’ll find it’s got hold of your login details again.
  • ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:
    Mr Eagles, check on your book. I think you’ll find it’s got hold of your login details again.
    Just think of the money I could have made.

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

There’s something wrong with those odds. Three zeros missing off the end.

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Permanent Labour Leader? Is this a bit like Eternal President of North Korea?
  • ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

It was excellent value in August 2016.
    RobD said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Permanent Labour Leader? Is this a bit like Eternal President of North Korea?
    I was explaining to Year 11 the other day how North Korea has a corpse for President. They were intrigued and revolted in equal measure.

The disturbing one was the person who suggested a corpse as Headteacher might be an improvement.

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

It was excellent value in August 2016.
    Mr Eagles, take back control. Wrestle whatever device it has away from your book.

eadric said:

Time to start thinking who BENEFITS from a wide pandemic requiring mass quarantine..

My initial list

Netflix (their shares are UP)
    Publishers and writers (lots more time to read)
    Journalists and journalism (same reason, plus desire for news)
    Food delivery companies
    Drone manufacturers
    Dettol
    Staycation companies in remoter parts of the uk: holiday cottages in the Grampians are a BUY
    Remote work companies
    Crossword puzzle makers

Who else?

Anything pregnancy related....to boom in about 9 months.
    Chinese Scientists Raise Concerns Over Potential Link Between Coronavirus and Male Fertility.
    Well, those blokes caught in the knocking shop can be used for some research, can’t they.
  • Recap from Italy at the end of the day

650 total infected

Out of them
    17 died
    45 already healed
    56 are in intensive care
    248 are in hospital
    284 are at home
  • rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

CatMan said:

The UK might be sovereign, but it's small fry compared to the rEU. This is the problem for small countries seeking a trade deal with larger entities. There's no "fair play", no equality: both sides look out for their own interests and leverage their power to their best advantage.

But then, you right-wingers should be pleased. You're always complaining that when the electorate leans left, they're voting themselves "free owls" with no thought of who's going to pay for them.

Well, you got your free owls. Now you're going to have to pay.
    Makes sense, if you're overwhelmed focus on those that would recover fastest, and have the most years left to live.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited February 2020
    This element of the virus obviously makes it even worse...

A woman in Japan who recovered from coronavirus and was released from hospital has tested positive again. The 40-year-old woman, who was initially infected after working on a tour bus with sightseers from Wuhan, tested positive for a second time yesterday.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8050519/Japanese-tour-bus-worker-recovered-coronavirus-tests-positive-AGAIN.html

14 PER CENT of coronavirus patients tested positive a SECOND time in one Chinese region, health official admits

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8052173/14-CENT-coronavirus-patients-tested-positive-SECOND-time-one-Chinese-region.html
  • I've been doing a bit of historical research for my piece on Sunday and I've found something really extraordinary.

England/Great Britain has only experienced pandemics when we're not members of the EC/EU.

Coincidence? I think not.

Rejoin Now.
  • not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,340

Chameleon said:

The US seems to be a perfect storm for Coronavirus.

1. Patients have to pay for healthcare -> will lead to sick people avoiding testing and treatment
    2. Large percentage of the population over 75, where mortality rises sharply to 10-15% (our 75+ is 9%, vs China 3.3%)
    3. Epidemic of low savings - people in the early stages of it may continue working trying to push through.
    4. Fractured healthcare system
    5. Massive rates of obesity. Obese people are 40% more likely to develop pneumonia, people with a BMI over 35 are more than twice as likely to develop it compared to a healthy person. This will lead to a substantially higher demand on resources.
    5. A President very keen on keeping the stock market on a short term high.
    6. Gun nuts that won't be keen on quarantine.

The USA has three things working in its favour though:

1: Very low population density (35 per square km in USA vs 117 per square km in EU and 274 per square km in UK)
    2: A geographically very spread out nature. The distances between US states and cities is massive compared to here, will make quarantine much easier.
    3: Much lower rates of international travel.

If coronavirus does become an epidemic in America its more likely to affect blue states before the red ones.
    Also: Much lower use of public transport
  • alteregoalterego Posts: 1,100
    rpjs said:

CatMan said:

The UK might be sovereign, but it's small fry compared to the rEU. This is the problem for small countries seeking a trade deal with larger entities. There's no "fair play", no equality: both sides look out for their own interests and leverage their power to their best advantage.

But then, you right-wingers should be pleased. You're always complaining that when the electorate leans left, they're voting themselves "free owls" with no thought of who's going to pay for them.

Well, you got your free owls. Now you're going to have to pay.
    The end is nigh.
    eadric said:

When the Economist reads like The Book of Revelations you know it’s bad.

https://www.economist.com/leaders/2020/02/27/the-virus-is-coming

Feels strange in Maldon, Essex, tonight. Maybe a tiny bit like London a few weeks before the Blitz.

You mean, completely normal?

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

That belongs in the section in your filing cabinet marked "What the FUCK was I thinking".

About the only way that bet came in was if COVID-19 killed 99.99999% of the population, oddly saving only those named "Burgon".
  • ydoethur said:

eadric said:

Feels strange in Maldon, Essex, tonight. Maybe a tiny bit like London a few weeks before the Blitz.

Reminds me of the Lee Evans joke about visiting a Sports Direct after the London Riots.
  • alteregoalterego Posts: 1,100
    eadric said:

How old are you? I had you down as much younger.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,574
    justin124 said:

Cyclefree said:

justin124 said:

Joy!
    Some of the Opposition parties - particularly the LDs and SNP - are likely now - with hindsight - to be kicking themselves for having gone along with Johnson's election plans.An election held this Spring in the circumstances of this Coronavirus outbreak may have produced a rather different outcome.
    I imagine most sensible people, of whatever political persuasion, are very grateful we’re not holding an election under such circumstances.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,574
    alterego said:

eadric said:

How old are you? I had you down as much younger.
    Only JackW was at the Battle of Maldon, surely ?
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,960
    edited February 2020

ydoethur said:

eadric said:

Reminds me of the Lee Evans joke about visiting a Sports Direct after the London Riots.
    Do you know what's so special about the Manchester Sports Directs?

They are the only ones in the UK to have an evening wear section.

With apologies to Jimmy Carr.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,398
    RLB just said Blair was a good leader.
    edited February 2020
    Nigelb said:

justin124 said:

Cyclefree said:

justin124 said:

Joy!
    I imagine most sensible people, of whatever political persuasion, are very grateful we’re not holding an election under such circumstances.
    I don't doubt that a further postponment would have happened - as was the case at the time of the Foot & Mouth epidemic in 2001. The agenda at the subsequent election,however, would have changed significantly - as would its likely dynamics.

RLB just said Blair was a good leader.

Red tory.
This discussion has been closed.