Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ohio Senator Sherrod Brown – now being talked about as a compr

Comments

• Options

CatMan said:
    Foster still hasn't learnt that the decision has already been made. The decision was taken 4 years ago that we are leaving the EU, that we are taking back control of our laws, borders, money and natural resources like fish.

Foster like many Remainers seems to think its up for debate. That we are yet to decide what kind of future we'll take. He seems to wish whether we will be aligned or not in laws is a decision to be made based on evidence to be presented now. Its not, the evidence was presented 4 years ago.

Those who believed that breaking our alignment presented their case 4 years ago. Those who believed it was for the best presented their case 4 years ago. The public decided 4 years ago.

Time to get on with it now.
    We do not have to get on with it. It is your project, not Remainia's. You get on with it and we will watch in rapt admiration.......

:D:D:D
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

This element of the virus obviously makes it even worse...

A woman in Japan who recovered from coronavirus and was released from hospital has tested positive again. The 40-year-old woman, who was initially infected after working on a tour bus with sightseers from Wuhan, tested positive for a second time yesterday.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8050519/Japanese-tour-bus-worker-recovered-coronavirus-tests-positive-AGAIN.html

14 PER CENT of coronavirus patients tested positive a SECOND time in one Chinese region, health official admits

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8052173/14-CENT-coronavirus-patients-tested-positive-SECOND-time-one-Chinese-region.html

I have no medical knowledge so please correct me about this.

As I understand it, vaccines work by giving a very small does of a weekend virus to a person so that the persons immune system gets used to fighting that virus, as a result when the person is attacked by the real virus the immune system has a head start.

The same principal as not been able to get chicken-pocks or other viruses twice, the immune system has 'learnt' how to fight them'

If that understanding is correct, but for this virus you can catch it twice, does that mean that a vaccine will not be possible or at least will be a lot harder?

Don't what to start any panic, just asking.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    edited February 2020
    BigRich said:

A woman in Japan who recovered from coronavirus and was released from hospital has tested positive again. The 40-year-old woman, who was initially infected after working on a tour bus with sightseers from Wuhan, tested positive for a second time yesterday.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8050519/Japanese-tour-bus-worker-recovered-coronavirus-tests-positive-AGAIN.html

14 PER CENT of coronavirus patients tested positive a SECOND time in one Chinese region, health official admits

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8052173/14-CENT-coronavirus-patients-tested-positive-SECOND-time-one-Chinese-region.html

As I understand it, vaccines work by giving a very small does of a weekend virus to a person so that the persons immune system gets used to fighting that virus, as a result when the person is attacked by the real virus the immune system has a head start.

The same principal as not been able to get chicken-pocks or other viruses twice, the immune system has 'learnt' how to fight them'

If that understanding is correct, but for this virus you can catch it twice, does that mean that a vaccine will not be possible or at least will be a lot harder?

Your basic understanding of how the vaccine work sounds about right, but some viruses (virii?) ;) mutate meaning a new version of the vaccine is needed each year.

Perhaps this strain has two slightly different versions?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    ydoethur said:

eadric said:

When the Economist reads like The Book of Revelations you know it’s bad.

https://www.economist.com/leaders/2020/02/27/the-virus-is-coming

Feels strange in Maldon, Essex, tonight. Maybe a tiny bit like London a few weeks before the Blitz.

You mean, completely normal?
    London a few weeks before the blitz was in the thick of the battle of Britain. Do we actually mean the phoney war?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    BigRich said:

You seem to be assuming the Japanese person got then virus, recovered, and then was infected afresh. Yet there are various other possible explanations.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    Foxy said:
    This is very bad news for members of the House of Lords.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

BigRich said:

Your basic understanding of how the vaccine work sounds about right, but some viruses (virii?) ;) mutate meaning a new version of the vaccine is needed each year.

Perhaps this strain has two slightly different versions?

OK that would make sense, if that is the case then we would need lots of vaccines for all the different virii/viruses, which sounds hard, but not impossible
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,641
    BigRich said:

It depends on the virus. Antibodies form to antigens (surface proteins on the virus), and these give long term protection. Some viruses are quite antigenically stable, others (like influenza) regularly change these to new forms, so antibodies lose their effectiveness. That is why a new flu vaccine is needed every year, based on anticipation of which strains are thought likely to be active.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,156

Foxy said:
    Silver lining then for Tom Watson if he's blackballed.

• Options
    IanB2 said:

BigRich said:

You seem to be assuming the Japanese person got then virus, recovered, and then was infected afresh. Yet there are various other possible explanations.
    Yes, it would be unlikely to be a reinfection with the same virus, more likely a lingering carrier state. That has it's own implications though.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

BigRich said:

Yes, it would be unlikely to be a reinfection with the same virus, more likely a lingering carrier state. That has it's own implications though.
    Could it be a dodgy test that is picking up the immune reaction from the previous infection?

I've read very little (nothing) about the test. What % are false negatives, false positives etc. How does the test work?
  • Options
    eadric said:

The Economist expects 25% to 70% of people to catch it, in an infected country, within 12 months of the first outbreak.

That’s a wide spread but let’s crunch the numbers at either end.

If the mortality rate is like China ex-Hubei (if we trust that data) that’s a rate of 0.6% And if the infection rate is just 25% that’s about 95,000 UK deaths. Really quite unpleasant, but not apocalyptic. The NHS should stagger through. But this requires intense and draconian quarantine, like China. That’s best case scenario, according to The Economist.

If the mortality rate is in the officially anticipated 1% range, and the infection rate is more like 40%, that’s about 260,000 UK deaths. Edging towards hellish. I can’t imagine how the NHS would deal with that. But maybe we bumble through. It would be like wartime for sure. That’s the mid range forecast.

If the mortality rate is the Wuhan rate of 4%, and the infection rate is 70% (ie the reasonable worst case scenariio) that is 2 MILLION deaths. In one year. Society could, maybe would, break down.

Those infection rates look way too high for the first year. Those Brits in the ski chalet spent a whole holiday in close confinement with each other and despite multiple carriers in there, more than half of them returned home uninfected.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    eadric said:

The Economist expects 25% to 70% of people to catch it, in an infected country, within 12 months of the first outbreak.

If the mortality rate is like China ex-Hubei (if we trust that data) that’s a rate of 0.6% And if the infection rate is just 25% that’s about 95,000 UK deaths. Really quite unpleasant, but not apocalyptic. The NHS should stagger through. But this requires intense and draconian quarantine, like China. That’s best case scenario, according to The Economist.

If the mortality rate is in the officially anticipated 1% range, and the infection rate is more like 40%, that’s about 260,000 UK deaths. Edging towards hellish. I can’t imagine how the NHS would deal with that. But maybe we bumble through. It would be like wartime for sure. That’s the mid range forecast.

If the mortality rate is the Wuhan rate of 4%, and the infection rate is 70% (ie the reasonable worst case scenariio) that is 2 MILLION deaths. In one year. Society could, maybe would, break down.

There are just over 600,000 deaths annually in the UK to put all that into perspective.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,999
    eadric said:
    Spanish brothels are weird. Before hostilities commence you have to buy an amenity pack containing a johnny and various other ephemera at a small window that reminded me of the tuck shop at school. On visit to NAS Rota we got the wheels off our MoD supplied hire car nicked outside a knocking shop near Seville. Luckily there was another Corsa in an adjacent car park so we thieved the wheels off that while keeping a weather eye for the Policia.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    When I was breaking all health and safety regulations (which didn't exit then) training as a youngster in a radio and TV repair shop I learned that my boss had been brought up by an uncle because both his parents had succumbed to the Spanish 1918 flu, which hit hardest those folks with strong immune systems.
  • Options
    So when we are all stuck alone in our homes for the next 6 months, what Netflix / Amazon Prime shows should we be watching?
  • Options

So when we are all stuck alone in our homes for the next 6 months, what Netflix / Amazon Prime shows should we be watching?

I would skip World War Z.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    eadric said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

Those infection rates look way too high for the first year. Those Brits in the ski chalet spent a whole holiday in close confinement with each other and despite multiple carriers in there, more than half of them returned home uninfected.
    It’s also what has been predicted by quite a few epidemiologists. Like this guy at Harvard: 40-70%

https://www.mediaite.com/news/harvard-professor-sounds-alarm-on-likely-coronavirus-pandemic-40-to-70-of-world-could-be-infected-this-year/
    The good news is that younger people seem more resistant and/or much more able to brush off the disease as a minor illness. When us oldies have been culled, they can move up the employment ladder, inherit our homes, rerun the EU referendum and get on happily with the rest of their lives.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    eadric said:

Barnesian said:

eadric said:

There are just over 600,000 deaths annually in the UK to put all that into perspective.
    Don’t forget to add in all the ripple effects. The enormous economic slowdown. Social dislocation. Businesses going bust. Hospitals in total crisis. Old people dropping dead on street corners and the panic that would cause.

And of course all the other countries in the world would be going through the same.

Christ I hope this virus hates the warm spring sun. Or maybe all the experts are wrong.
    It's mainly in the northern hemisphere at the moment, so perhaps there is some hope? :p
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    It was smug city at the running club tonight - we reckon if/when we catch we will all be fine because we're healthier than the average bod.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    Pulpstar said:

It was smug city at the running club tonight - we reckon if/when we catch we will all be fine because we're healthier than the average bod.

see spanish flu.
  • Options
    eadric said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

It’s also what has been predicted by quite a few epidemiologists. Like this guy at Harvard: 40-70%

https://www.mediaite.com/news/harvard-professor-sounds-alarm-on-likely-coronavirus-pandemic-40-to-70-of-world-could-be-infected-this-year/
    The good news is that younger people seem more resistant and/or much more able to brush off the disease as a minor illness. When us oldies have been culled, they can move up the employment ladder, inherit our homes, rerun the EU referendum and get on happily with the rest of their lives.
    My wife thinks this virus is a good thing, and it will reset the world.

I have some sympathy with her position. We have become decadent in our comfort, the identity politics wars are an example, so many people arguing about who goes into which toilet, for fucks sake. Shut up. Now we are confronted by a medieval plague. Who cares.

And the world has been tilted to the old for too long. Maybe the virus has come to help the young.
    Boris did say he had a plan for solving the crisis in elderly care. No wonder he was reluctant to say any more.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Pulpstar said:

I have bad new for you.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,353
    geoffw said:

Foxy said:

Dont think coronavirus picks on members of the HOL...
  • Options
    Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

eadric said:

Why do you think he’d be interested in putting it into perspective?!
  • Options
    RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

see spanish flu.
    :D
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,613
    eadric said:

You do love your extreme projections, don’t you ?

IT WON’T HAPPEN.

Happier now ?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

If you were all adult men, you are starting with a handicap.
  • Options
    eadric said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

My wife thinks this virus is a good thing, and it will reset the world.
    Bloody Corbynistas!!
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

eadric said:

IT WON’T HAPPEN.

Happier now ?
    If I were the mods I’d consider restricting his posting rights to 3-4 mentions of coronavirus a day (not dozens) and to dial back the 30 seconds to midnight panic.

No-one needs it.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Pulpstar said:

If you were all adult men, you are starting with a handicap.
    No, we're a mixed bunch.
  • Options
    Sanders might die due to virus.

Sanders might boom due to virus - which could expose American healthcare problems, and then beat Trump.

And Trump and Sanders could both conceivably succumb to virus.

So many scenarios.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

see spanish flu.
    This isn't Spanish Flu. The age spectrum is a bit younger than regular flu, but the under 40's seem to have good survival.

• Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    eadric said:

To add on top of that you've got to account for demographics and medical resources being stretched in your worst case. Wuhan had a mortality rate of 4.9%, Hubei 3.1%. Using the most generous assumptions possible, Wuhan had the jump from '0.6%' rest of China mortality to 4.9% mortality with less than 10% of the population being infected.

3.3% of China's population is in the extremely vulnerable 75+ age bracket, it's 9% for us. Being obese significantly increases your risk of pneumonia. 5-6% of China are obese, it's near enough 30% in the UK. Cardiovascular disease and diabetes were identified as the two illnesses which put coronavirus patients most at risk of dying.

Putting that all into the calculator (with Wuhan 4.9% mortality), you have 500,000 75+ yos dying, plus about 2,200,000 from the rest of the population.

The reasonable worst case assumptions are horrific. The odds of it getting there are extremely minuscule though.

We're a high tech nation, with the vast majority of the job being able to be done from home, and if China gets up and producing again quickly, personal protection will be flowing in at a rate of knots. Once you get even just 1% of the UK infected it'll be hard for the infection to spread given the panic that'll happen.

1% of the UK infected, say a 3% mortality rate gets you 20,000 UK dead, which feels like a reasonable midpoint case.

I am concerned about the apparent lack of plans to quarantine towns and cities though.
  • Options
    I think the arm of the state is pretty important in controlling civil emergencies.

The UK and South Korea have well organised states, that practice and rehearse such events. China gets there too but by very heavy handed and borderline inhuman methods.

Italy and Iran do not. And their domestic governments exhibit a large degree of disfunctionality.

The USA will rely very heavily on its military I think, but will end up having to subside federal healthcare measures from the healthcare budget.

All I can say is I’m glad we have Matt Hancock at the DoH and not Chris Grayling.
  • Options

I think the arm of the state is pretty important in controlling civil emergencies.

The UK and South Korea have well organised states, that practice and rehearse such events. China gets there too but by very heavy handed and borderline inhuman methods.

Italy and Iran do not. And their domestic governments exhibit a large degree of disfunctionality.

The USA will rely very heavily on its military I think, but will end up having to subside federal healthcare measures from the healthcare budget.

All I can say is I’m glad we have Matt Hancock at the DoH and not Chris Grayling.

Of the options, Hunt would be the best to be in charge at a moment like this.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    Foxy said:
    Who would you treat...a 25 year old mother, or an 80 year old Brexiteer...?

• Options
    Chameleon said:

I am concerned about the apparent lack of plans to quarantine towns and cities though.

Must be odds on to break out in London first with all the public transport used there ?
  • Options

I don't think you know much about the Italian health system because your post is particularly ignorant....
  • Options
    tyson said:

Foxy said:

The 25 year old mother is likely to survive anyway, because of age and gender, so the 80 year old Brexiteer would get the bed.
  • Options

Amazon offers you: The Coming Pandemic, Contagion, Virus, Pandemic, The Carrier, Outbreak: Anatomy of a Plague, The Z Virus, Extinction: Patient Zero, Fever, Containment, Wasteland, and The Dead Outside.

Perfect viewing to take your mind off things.
  • Options
    Looking at the flash points my thoughts are:

Dynamic alignment: I disagree with the EU here and think minimum standards and thresholds should be fine. If they get seriously reworried in future about “unforeseens” both parties should go back to the table to agree through governance
    Governance: I have no problem with a blockbuster deal covering all areas, providing it is fairly co-governed, so incline to the EU position in principle
    State Aid: no strong view. I have little sympathy with the idea of state subsidy and think it’s a bad idea.
    Fishing: my sympathies are far more with the UK position, and I think the EU is unreasonable (and unrealistic) in wanting to just maintain existing access

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51650961
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Foxy said:

tyson said:

Foxy said:

The 25 year old mother is likely to survive anyway, because of age and gender, so the 80 year old Brexiteer would get the bed.
    No...the 80 year old will not get the bed...
    The Brexiteer nonsense was my polemical self.....

The NHS will shortly have to make these kind of choices....if they are inundated with critically ill patients they have to prioritise the young....
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    eadric said:

Chameleon said:

eadric said:

If the mortality rate is in the officially anticipated 1% range, and the infection rate is morebe like wartime for sure. That’s the mid range forecast.

To add on top of that you've got to account for demographics and medical resources being stretched in your worst case. Wuhan had a mortality rate of 4.9%, Hubei 3.1%. Using the most generous assumptions possible, Wuhan had the jump from '0.6%' rest of China mortality to 4.9% mortality with less than 10% of the population being infected.

3.3% of China's population is in the extremely vulnerable 75+ age bracket, it's 9% for us. Being obese significantly increases your risk of pneumonia. 5-6% of China are obese, it's near enough 30% in the UK. Cardiovascular disease and diabetes were identified as the two illnesses which put coronavirus patients most at risk of dying.

Putting that all into the calculator (with Wuhan 4.9% mortality), you have 500,000 75+ yos dying, plus about 2,200,000 from the rest of the population.

The reasonable worst case assumptions are horrific. The odds of it getting there are extremely minuscule though.

We'rehina gets up and producing again quickly, personal protection will be flowing in at a rate of knots. Once you get even just 1% of the UK infected it'll be hard for the infection to spread given the panic that'll happen.

1% of the UK infected, say a 3% mortality rate gets you 20,000 UK dead, which feels like a reasonable midpoint case.

That’s a reassuring perspective. I agree with you: my worry is do we have the Chinese style determination to shut down cities and shutter schools and businesses etc.

If we won’t we can expect a higher death rate which will counter balance what we gain from being richer, more advanced.

Of course there is still the possibility this bug will melt away, like SARS
    Did you miss that it probably doesn’t like warm weather? Like flu. For much of the developed world, just two months to go.
  • Options
    eadric said:

Nigelb said:

eadric said:

IT WON’T HAPPEN.

Happier now ?
    I was doing some data geekery number crunching on what the Economist (note, the Economist, not the Express) expects to happen. I wasn’t using any of my assumptions, I was using theirs.

Likewise, I did not give extreme projections. I gave reasonable best case, mid range, and worst case scenarios, using the Economist numbers allied with worldometer data about mortality rate.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-death-rate/

I thought number crunching is what PB really enjoyed! Tsk.
    No, you were conflating several different sets of statistics.
    I leave my epidemic number crunching to the epidemiologists.
  • Options
    eadric said:

Nigelb said:

eadric said:

IT WON’T HAPPEN.

Happier now ?
    If I were the mods I’d consider restricting his posting rights to 3-4 mentions of coronavirus a day (not dozens) and to dial back the 30 seconds to midnight panic.

No-one needs it.
    I’m sorry you are easily scared by numbers. The idea we should not calmly debate the probabilities and possibilities of the biggest story in the world (politically, economically, socially) on politicalbetting.com, is asinine. What do you suggest as an alternative? Three nights of debate on care home wage structure? Again?
    We could talk about political betting?

Like, what the site’s for??
  • Options
    tyson said:

I don't think you know much about the Italian health system because your post is particularly ignorant....
    Ok, put me right then.

Where have I got it wrong?
  • Options
    eadric said:

Chameleon said:

eadric said:

If the mortality rate is in the officially anticipated 1% range, and the infection rate is morebe like wartime for sure. That’s the mid range forecast.

To add on top of that you've got

That’s a reassuring perspective. I agree with you: my worry is do we have the Chinese style determination to shut down cities and shutter schools and businesses etc.

If we won’t we can expect a higher death rate which will counter balance what we gain from being richer, more advanced.

Very likely to fade away.

What happened to the Great Plague of London, and in Eyam?

Containment works, even when disease appears rife. The key is to get the onward infection rate below one.

• Options

Of the options, Hunt would be the best to be in charge at a moment like this.
    Agreed, but i think Hancock is at least quietly rational and logical.

We could do much worse.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    edited February 2020
    eadric said:

Nigelb said:

eadric said:

IT WON’T HAPPEN.

Happier now ?

No-one needs it.
    I’m sorry you are easily scared by numbers. The idea we should not calmly debate the probabilities and possibilities of the biggest story in the world (politically, economically, socially) on politicalbetting.com, is asinine. What do you suggest as an alternative? Three nights of debate on care home wage structure? Again?
    As some of you know, my only claim to have been on the right side of this was advice to a friend in December to get the f-ck out of his stock market exposure. Had a hunch everything was in a bubble, especially his Tesla-heavy portfolio. I did mention the virus as one of the possible scenarios to prick the over-priced shares but didn't think we'd be quite heading for the current correction. It's been a very rough week on the exchanges. Tesla looks really vulnerable right now. Edit: down 25% in 5 days. Ouch.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    tyson said:

Foxy said:

tyson said:

Foxy said:

The NHS will shortly have to make these kind of choices....if they are inundated with critically ill patients they have to prioritise the young....
    If they were equally ill, then of course the balance is different.
  • Options

tyson said:

Ok, put me right then.

I think your sweeping statement that Italy does not have an organised state is perhaps one of the most laugh out loud and ignorant posts I have read..not just here, but on any site...do you want me to continue??
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067
    Coronavirus and a refugee crisis at the same time?

https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1233138682196119553?s=21
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    In fact, the Dow Jones has just recorded its biggest one-day points fall in history. Down 1,191 points (4.4%) on the day.

Gobsmacking stuff.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-stock-markets-taken-sick-again-on-speed-of-spread-11944193
  • Options

Floods and a plague of locusts too.

Anyone seen four horsemen?
  • Options

Why is Turkey trying to punish the EU? It is Russia's Assad thst is killing Turks.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

tyson said:

Foxy said:

tyson said:

Foxy said:

If they were equally I'll, then of course the balance is different.
    I've worked at the higher echelons of health authorities...not now..thankfully....

We are probably facing the biggest single crisis in the NHS...times a lot......

• Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

geoffw said:

Foxy said:

Dont think coronavirus picks on members of the HOL...
    Except that their average age is 70 and it seems that there are more Lords aged over 90 than under 40, making them pretty vulnerable

https://www.parliament.uk/about/faqs/house-of-lords-faqs/lords-members/
  • Options
    So I guess what I'm adding to here is that for all the arguments about the human tragedy, the economic impact is going to be almost catastrophic. A global recession is a real likelihood if this doesn't end soon.
  • Options
    eadric said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

Chameleon said:

eadric said:

If thentense and draconian quarantine, like China. That’s best case scenario, according to The Economist.

the jump from '0.6%' rest of China mortality to 4.9% mortality with less than 10% of the population being infected.

We'rehina gets up and producing again quickly, personal protection will be flowing in at a rate of knots. Once you get even just 1% of the UK infected it'll be hard for the infection to spread given the panic that'll happen.

Did you miss that it probably doesn’t like warm weather? Like flu. For much of the developed world, just two months to go.
    Sorry to break this to you

https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1233135470550429704?s=21
    Did you read the article? It as good as says that the virus likely doesn’t like warm weather. It simply concludes that this won’t be the end of the matter.

So the real crisis comes next winter.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

eadric said:

Chameleon said:

eadric said:

Containment works, even when disease appears rife. The key is to get the onward infection rate below one.

I mean the great plague of London did kill about 25% of London's population...

But yeah, I agree with your wider point. The moment this starts to become widespread in the UK we'll see people take drastic measures to reduce exposure.
  • Options

In fact, the Dow Jones has just recorded its biggest one-day points fall in history. Down 1,191 points (4.4%) on the day.

Gobsmacking stuff.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-stock-markets-taken-sick-again-on-speed-of-spread-11944193

Surely not. Donald reassured everyone just yesterday...
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Pulpstar said:

Chameleon said:

Must be odds on to break out in London first with all the public transport used there ?
    Whose up for London being the modern-day Eyam?
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,812
    edited February 2020

tyson said:

Ok, put me right then.

Italy may have dysfunctional politics, but it has strong pockets of decent administration. The few times I encountered their health system, it seemed like a good one, and I think these international 'make a few things' tables often puts it behind only France in terms of quality of care. I got a TB booster due to contact tracing from a flatmate of my flatmate's girlfriend who had brought it in from Africa. She lived in a completely different city to me. The USSL (essentially primary care clinic) system did seem very slick.
  • Options
    These guys make the choice of Mike Pence to lead the US pandemic response look like the ultimate in rationalism:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/02/iran-cannot-handle-coronavirus/607150/
    Harirchi stated that the government refuses to impose quarantines, because they are premodern and ineffective. Mohammad Saeedi, the head of the shrine in Qom and a local representative of the country’s supreme leader, not only opposes a quarantine but begged people to visit the shrine, calling it a “place of healing.”...
  • Options
    tyson said:

tyson said:

Ok, put me right then.

I think your sweeping statement that Italy does not have an organised state is perhaps one of the most laugh out loud and ignorant posts I have read..not just here, but on any site...do you want me to continue??
    Yes, I would like you to provide some evidence rather than a visceral reaction.

Italy has an unstable government of mixed competence and has had great difficulty in containing this outbreak, which raises serious questions over its state apparatus.

If you’d like to prove me wrong on that I’d be interested in hearing your reasoning.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Gobsmacking stuff.

https://twitter.com/PaulLidicul/status/1232521315254292480?s=20
  • Options
    Foxy said:

eadric said:

Chameleon said:

eadric said:

As the link I just posted suggests, the society this is most likely to break is perhaps Iran.

• Options
    Foxy said:

Gobsmacking stuff.

One of the most satisfying results of the Virus is seeing all those NHS Consultants who have become preoccupied of late with obsessively monitoring their huge pension funds..now seeing those funds getting decimated...
  • Options

Gobsmacking stuff.

Yes, I missed out on a slice of profit today by closing some positions too early. At tea time it looked like a wise move, but the markets really tanked towards close and the post-market trading suggests tomorrow won’t be a happy day either. I have added slightly to my sell positions overnight and we’ll see what tomorrow brings....
  • Options
    "Federal health employees interacted with Americans quarantined for possible exposure to the coronavirus without proper medical training or protective gear, then scattered into the general population, according to a government whistle-blower,” the New York Times reports.

“Without proper training or equipment, some of the exposed staff members moved freely around and off the bases, with at least one person staying in a nearby hotel and leaving California on a commercial flight. Many were unaware of the need to test their temperature three times a day.”

Washington Post: “The whistleblower is seeking federal protection because she alleges she was unfairly and improperly reassigned after raising concerns about the safety of these workers to HHS officials, including those within the office of Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar.”

• Options
    Nigelb said:

These guys make the choice of Mike Pence to lead the US pandemic response look like the ultimate in rationalism:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/02/iran-cannot-handle-coronavirus/607150/
    Harirchi stated that the government refuses to impose quarantines, because they are premodern and ineffective. Mohammad Saeedi, the head of the shrine in Qom and a local representative of the country’s supreme leader, not only opposes a quarantine but begged people to visit the shrine, calling it a “place of healing.”...

Our own Government supposedly takes the same view.

Once the virus is more established in the country, the general policy would be that schools should not close – unless there are specific local business continuity reasons (staff shortages or particularly vulnerable children).

There are no plans to attempt to close borders in the event of an influenza pandemic. The UK generally has a high level of international connectivity, and so is likely to be one of the earlier countries to receive infectious individuals. Modelling suggests that imposing a 90% restriction on all air travel to the UK at the point a pandemic emerges would only delay the peak of a pandemic wave by one to two weeks.

There is also a lack of scientific evidence on the impact of internal travel restrictions on transmission and attempts to impose such restrictions would have wide-reaching implications for business and welfare.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/ng-interactive/2020/feb/27/what-are-the-uks-plans-for-dealing-with-a-pandemic-virus
  • Options
    tyson said:

Foxy said:

Gobsmacking stuff.

One of the most satisfying results of the Virus is seeing all those NHS Consultants who have become preoccupied of late with obsessively monitoring their huge pension funds..now seeing those funds getting decimated...
    Nah, mine is in cash.

I wasn't kidding about extra life insurance the other day. Actuaries haven't caught up yet!

• Options
    IanB2 said:

Gobsmacking stuff.

Yes, I missed out on a slice of profit today by closing some positions too early. At tea time it looked like a wise move, but the markets really tanked towards close and the post-market trading suggests tomorrow won’t be a happy day either. I have added slightly to my sell positions overnight and we’ll see what tomorrow brings....
    Yes I'd like to come back in. Just a question of when. If things pan out as Eadric suggests then we could be a long way from the bottom.
  • Options
    edited February 2020

Pulpstar said:

Chameleon said:

If there's one thing I wouldn't want to be in charge of, it's contact tracing a tube carriage or 10. Once 100 people in London have it, the entire south will have it in a week.
  • Options
    edited February 2020

tyson said:

tyson said:

Ok, put me right then.

Italy has an unstable government of mixed competence and has had great difficulty in containing this outbreak, which raises serious questions over its state apparatus.

If you’d like to prove me wrong on that I’d be interested in hearing your reasoning.</blockquote

You are a bit like John Cleese in Life of Brian....

The Italian Health System is probably the best in the world.....

Your ignorance and prejudice is really quite shocking
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Gobsmacking stuff.

Yes I'd like to come back in. Just a question of when. If things pan out as Eadric suggests then we could be a long way from the bottom.
    My default case is that this slide will be relatively short lived, but there won’t be a bounce back - either a flat spring or a modest recovery as the virus fades in the sun. Then a torrid autumn when we really do test new lows.

For the Dow I am sticking by the figure of 24,000-ish for the short term low that I offered up on Tuesday, reflecting the level it held for 2016-17.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

"Then he proceeded to tell me of the mischievous consequences which attended the presumption of the Turks and Mahometans in Asia and in other places where he had been (for my brother, being a merchant, was a few years before, as I have already observed, returned from abroad, coming last from Lisbon), and how, presuming upon their professed predestinating notions, and of every man's end being predetermined and unalterably beforehand decreed, they would go unconcerned into infected places and converse with infected persons, by which means they died at the rate of ten or fifteen thousand a week, whereas the Europeans or Christian merchants, who kept themselves retired and reserved, generally escaped the contagion."

Defoe, Journal of the Plague Year.

Plus ca change...
  • Options
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    That looks pretty solid to me Ian
  • Options
    edited February 2020

IanB2 said:

Gobsmacking stuff.

There will be a community level outbreak in the UK, there is already some in the US (although they're too lazy to actually declare it), and it's next to being confirmed in France (20 near Paris) and Germany (14 in NRW). All of those are almost certainly going to happen, and almost certainly cause a new low. Then is it time for France and Italy to register negative growth in 20Q1, which would put them officially into recession, which will also not help the market. Given Germany's exposure to China they'll record an awful quarter as well. I can't see where the bounce is coming from.
  • Options
    Foxy said:
    Whatever happens, there is always a Trump tweet for it...
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

tyson said:

Ok, put me right then.

Italy may have dysfunctional politics, but it has strong pockets of decent administration. The few times I encountered their health system, it seemed like a good one, and I think these international 'make a few things' tables often puts it behind only France in terms of quality of care. I got a TB booster due to contact tracing from a flatmate of my flatmate's girlfriend who had brought it in from Africa. She lived in a completely different city to me. The USSL (essentially primary care clinic) system did seem very slick.
    Fair point, so perhaps the issue is in the state level coordination of its local, regional and national administrations? As this NYT article suggests:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/02/27/world/europe/italy-coronavirus.amp.html
  • Options

Foxy said:
    Whatever happens, there is always a Trump tweet for it...
    Lol @ Joans
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,770
    Foxy said:
    As much as I like talking about how much of a dick Trump is, that's a fake tweet.
  • Options
    tyson said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

Ok, put me right then.

If you’d like to prove me wrong on that I’d be interested in hearing your reasoning.
    So, just a bit of ad hominem then. Not an argument.

If you re-read my original post you’ll see I commented on their domestic government and ability of the state to coordinate civil emergencies, not the skill of their health service.

Can only presume you’ve hit the sauce again.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited February 2020
    Given Trump's twitter history, it is impossible these days to know the true from the fake. It is totally believable he would have tweeted such a thing.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,616
    Sorry, but Storm Jorge. We didn't Brexit for this sort of thing.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

tyson said:

Foxy said:

Gobsmacking stuff.

Nah, mine is in cash.

I wasn't kidding about extra life insurance the other day. Actuaries haven't caught up yet!

We've been hit by well over 100k this week on our investments...probably a lot more capital loss if house prices start tumbling which they will do....

That said...I'm not about to sell the Big Issue just yet....

• Options
    CatMan said:

Foxy said:
    As much as I like talking about how much of a dick Trump is, that's a fake tweet.
    Shame! :blush:
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,616
    eadric said:

Chameleon said:

Pulpstar said:

Chameleon said:

If there's one thing I wouldn't want to be in charge of, it's contact tracing a tube carriage or 10. Once 100 people in London have it, the entire south will have it in a week.
    Surely, once an epidemic is established, we give up tracing contacts? We don’t trace contacts for normal flu. And this is just normal flu with added devilment. The Satan Bug
    When does The Satan Bug come out in paperback?
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

Given Trump's twitter history, it is impossible these days to know the true from the fake. It is totally believable he would have tweeted such a thing.
    Some of the stupidest shit I have ever heard has come from Trump's mouth. I genuinely do not personally know anybody as dumb as Trump.
  • Options

Sorry, but Storm Jorge. We didn't Brexit for this sort of thing.

We have to take what the weather gives us. If we had stayed in "Fortress Europe".... :D:D
  • Options
    eadric said:

Chameleon said:

Pulpstar said:

Chameleon said:

Surely, once an epidemic is established, we give up tracing contacts? We don’t trace contacts for normal flu. And this is just normal flu with added devilment. The Satan Bug
    I took my girlfriend to Eyam once as a Valentines weekend treat. Nice inn, log fire, walks etc.

She still goes on about the Valentine's when I took her to a plague village.

• Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Gobsmacking stuff.

My default case is that this slide will be relatively short lived, but there won’t be a bounce back - either a flat spring or a modest recovery as the virus fades in the sun. Then a torrid autumn when we really do test new lows.

For the Dow I am sticking by the figure of 24,000-ish for the short term low that I offered up on Tuesday, reflecting the level it held for 2016-17.
    I'd like to think that was right, but I think it highly optimistic. 20,000 in the next fortnight looks on the cards to me.
This discussion has been closed.