Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The politics of Wind farms: Even CON voters are more in fav

SystemSystem Posts: 11,008
edited May 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The politics of Wind farms: Even CON voters are more in favour than against

One question, featured above, was on whether voters would be more or less inclined to vote for candidates who were in favour of wind power. CON voters be, admittedly, a small margin said here would be more likely to vote for such a contender.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546
    The problem in my experience is that there is a high concentration of people who are anti-wind farms in exactly the places where you would want to place them. So although the majority are clearly in favour, when it's a hot issue locally it swings the other way.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    edited May 2013
    I'd like to see these respondents for a candidate "in support of wind farms in your area".
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    edited May 2013
    @Socrates FPT:

Alternatively, this chart shows both recorded crime and the Crime Survey for England & Wales:

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/resources/figure1and3v2_tcm77-273248.png

From the report that is taken from:

"It is not possible to make long-term comparisons in police recorded crime due to fundamental changes in the recording of crimes introduced in 1998 and April 2002".

"The latest results show 2011/12 CSEW crime levels to be over 50 per cent lower than their mid-90s peak of 19.1 million crimes per annum."

I'm reasonably satisfied with that progress, and would not wish to do anything to jeopardise further progress.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    I'm expecting the price of energy, and green taxes/subsidies, to be an important issue at the 2015 election.

The Spectator had a good panel discussion programme in this area the other week: "Fuel wars: how to get the best deal for consumers"

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2013/04/the-view-from-22-special-fuel-wars-how-to-get-the-best-deal-for-the-consumers/
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Mike: May I ask what your view is? And your view on nuclear power as an alternative, zero-carbon power source?

Intrigued to know how well you align with the LD consensus.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    @antifrank

You might not be able to make precise comparisons but the small changes in the numbers in the years of the methodology changes suggest there's not a huge effect there. The long term numbers I showed on the previous thread showed that crime wasn't just lower for the majority of the 20th Century, it was much, much lower. The progress made in the decade after the mid-1990s also now appears to be flatlining. At the rate we've declined for the last five years, it would be decades before we reached average 20th Century levels.

Perhaps the present situation of very high and gradually declining crime is good enough for wealthier individuals like yourself, who can afford to live in nicer areas and have expensive security systems. However, for people living in poorer areas, and for people can remember the much lower crime of their childhood, this simply isn't good enough. I imagine this disconnect is one of the reasons the established parties, with their MPs largely distorted towards the very wealthy, and losing out to UKIP. One approach would be to attempt to understand these voters and address their concerns. Another would be to dismiss them as prejudiced raging thickos. I know which I think is more likely to be electorally successful.
  • Options
    @RichardNabavi The only sensible solution is "and" not "or". With the more inherently dangerous forms of energy generation, we need to take a more rigorous approach to risk assessment than we have taken in the past. And we need governments to lead rather than to let noisy NIMBYs fill a vacuum. As this poll shows, the public is ahead of the politicians on this, as so many topics.

It would be refreshing to see a politician work out what they think is objectively the right answer to a problem and then seek to persuade the public of this, rather than the opposite. In all the tributes to Mrs Thatcher, this was one theme about her that was not made enough of. The first Prime Minister to recognise the importance of the green agenda is less surprising when you appreciate that trait of hers.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    @Socrates

If you add in the crimes of Savile and Friends during the 60s, 70, 80s the graph looks like the downhill slope at Kitzbuhel. And that's despite it being a crime to have a fag in a pub these days, or annoy some delicate flower on twitter, or call a police horse 'gay'.

On a more serious note, the graph doesn't seem to account for population, or for the colossal number of crimes which were unreported in yesteryear (particularly sexual offences and domestic violence).
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    In 200 years time there will probably be organised holidays to visit wind farms built today.
  • Options
    @Socrates You ignore the increase in the number of criminalised activities. Behaviour that would be seen as utterly unacceptable now was commonplace (racial abuse, for example). The comparison you're seeking to make just doesn't work.

You're demonstrating the usual UKIP trait of hankering after a better yesterday that never existed. For 20 years we have seen dramatic improvements in crime levels.

As it happens, I live in a very high crime area. One of the largest social housing estates in the UK is within 400 yards of my flat, so considerable poverty is on my doorstep, and that makes its presence felt in the crimes that you would associate with poverty. I have experienced crime against me, including quite serious crime (someone drove a car at fairly high speed directly at my partner and me with intent). I don't live in a bubble.

But I also accept the world as it is, not some fantasy of how it never could be. And this world and this country is generally improving. The irrationality of those who expect rapid progress all the time needs to be confronted head on. We're in for a tough few years, but it will only be made worse by listening to those who let incoherent slogans act as a substitute for thinking.
  • Options
    The Guardian have a nice map of the local elections. Scroll to bottom of page linked to below.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/apr/26/labour-gains-local-elections
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    What if they are immigrant wind farms ?

Mrs Clegg made a few quid out of them mind you.
  • Options
    tim said:

Oh god, they go almost as bonkers over wind farms as they do over immigrants

The left will never be able to sit back and ignore Ukip regardless of if that is the smart thing to do - they can't help righting the wrongs of the world ..
  • Options
    The Tories currently control 29 county councils.

The big headline on Friday will be how many of them are still in their hands after the votes are counted.

In 1993 they were reduced to just one - Buckinghamshire.
  • Options
    samsam Posts: 727
    tim said:

Oh god, they go almost as bonkers over wind farms as they do over immigrants

They probably think neither work
  • Options
    Off topic, James Lansdale has had his spelling corrected by BBC readers (including yours truly):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22356755

The BBC has had the effrontery to correct it without any kind of note to that effect. But the links on the right hand side to his other blog entries haven't yet been tidied up.
  • Options
    Alternative für Deutschland are now on 3% in the polls, the same as the Pirate Party. Maybe they could end up holding the balance of power in September if they can reach the 5% threshold:

http://www.wahlrecht.de/umfragen/index.htm
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,919
    antifrank said:

You're demonstrating the usual UKIP trait of hankering after a better yesterday that never existed. For 20 years we have seen dramatic improvements in crime levels.

And you are showing your usual trait of being selective with your figures.

According to police figures and after taking into account the way in which the reported figures were adjusted in 1998 and 2003, there has been a four fold increase in violent crime since 1981 and a 13 fold increase since 1960.

• Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    I do not in any way speak for the LDs.

Personally I am not against nuclear though there are big issues about funding the long term cost of any risk.

On wind farms the big problem is that they don't provide continuous power so other back up sources always have to be available.

From an aesthetic standpoint I rather like the look modern of wind windmills.

Anorak said:

Mike: May I ask what your view is? And your view on nuclear power as an alternative, zero-carbon power source?

Anorak said:

Anorak said:

• Options
    edited May 2013
    antifrank said:

@Socrates You ignore the increase in the number of criminalised activities. Behaviour that would be seen as utterly unacceptable now was commonplace (racial abuse, for example). The comparison you're seeking to make just doesn't work.

I suppose you have evidence to back up your claim the increase is due to greater criminalisation of activities (which obviously isn't true in all cases, if you look at greater liberalisation of things like blasphemy, sodomy etc)

Anyway, let's restrict the evidence just to murder:

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20110218135832/http://rds.homeoffice.gov.uk/rds/pdfs10/hosb0110.pdf

Table 1.01. As we can see in the early 1960s, there were around 300 murders a year. Now there are around 700. Sadly the data only goes back to 1960s. As we can see from the overall crime graph, there was already more crime in the 60s than in the earlier 20th Century, so the murder rate was likely lower then. Whatever your insults about me hankering for a previous past time, you can't deny the facts that there was less crime in the early 20th Century than there is now. Speak to any criminologist and they will back me up. Indeed, in the 80s and 90s many thought rising crime rates was just an inevitable part of modernity. Thankfully we've bashed that mindset in the head, but we can certainly do better.

• Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,141
    AndyJS said:

Alternative für Deutschland are now on 3% in the polls, the same as the Pirate Party. Maybe they could end up holding the balance of power in September if they can reach the 5% threshold:

http://www.wahlrecht.de/umfragen/index.htm

Or more likely miss the threshold, split the Euro-grumpy classical-liberal vote and take the FDP down with them...
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    edited May 2013
    At its peak period in 2002 (excluding Shipman) the homicide rate in England and Wales reached about 1.72 murders for every hundred thousand people. It has since fallen 0.98. To put this is historical context, that number is about the same as 1979; the average for the 1960s was 0.67 and the 1970s was 0.90. In other words, the last decade has moved England and Wales much closer to the post-war average. It will need to fall further to join that and obviously there is room for disagreement as to whether it will, but the improvement - over ten years - if replicated would bring us into line with the 1960s within the next decade.

Key data (so people can check): 2002, 900 murders, 52.1m people; 2011-2, 550 murders, 56.1m people. Other data here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate_by_decade
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    One of the first results we will get tomorrow night is Lincolnshire...in particular it will be interesting to look at Lincoln City divisions....bear in mind that the parliamentary constituency also include 2 (Tory) wards outside the City (the 2 wards are in divisions with other areas, so more calculations will be required to add them)

The City divisions voted as follow in 2009

Birchwood: Con 45.5 Lab 23.3 LD 16.9 BNP 14.3
    Boultham: Lab 36.8 Con 34.2 LD 17.2 BNP 11.8
    Bracebridge: Con 49.1 Lab 30.7 LD 20.1
    East: Con 39 Lab 34.3 LD 26.7
    Glebe: Con 43.1 Lab 24.5 LD 19.0 BNP 13.4
    Hartsholme: Con 53,9 LD 24.2 Lab 21.9
    Moorland: Con 43.6 Lab 28.9 LD 15.6 BNP 11.8
    North: Con 41.1 Lab 35.5 LD 23.3
    Park: Lab 34.3 Con 30.7 LD 25.3 Soc 9.6
    West: Lab 38.6 LD 32.6 Con 28.8

In 2005 Labour won all of them.

Labour already won back East in a August 2012 by-election: Lab 48.8 Con 27.2 LD 8.2 UKIP 6.8 TUSC 6.8 EngDem 2%

Sitting Cllrs in Bracebridge and Glebe are not standing again.
  • Options
    I have no idea why there is a backlash against the ruling elite.

"Sun Politics ‏@Sun_Politics 2m

Lord Justice Leveson again rejects concern about Loverson scandal - says no benefit in "any further public debate" about inquiry's integrity"
  • Options
    @Andrea

Do you know how many constituencies are made up entirely of whole county council divisions so that we can add the votes up? Obviously seats which are comprised of whole districts or boroughs are in this category, such as Cannock Chase and Worcester.
  • Options
    It's not surprising that wind farms are popular with the public. They're the energy equivalent of something for nothing, over the long-term.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    "'Dutch roundabouts' could be seen in London next year

Roundabouts like the ones used in the Netherlands separating cars from cyclists could be used in London as early as next year, the city's cycling commissioner has said."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-22347184
  • Options
    @Socrates I gave you a chart earlier on together with an explanation as to why your highly misleading chart on the previous thread was intellectually dishonest.

But have a wikipedia page on the growth of numbers of criminal offences:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_criminal_law#Bulk_and_complexity

As for your focus on murder, my main observation is that murder was and remains a very rare crime. Many more people die in road deaths. But UKIP would no doubt be horrified if anyone sought to tackle bad driving more effectively.
  • Options
    Negative attacks on UKIP seem to have backfired.

"Polling company ComRes Ltd. put two sets of questions to voters last week. After the first round of polling on April 24- 26, support for UKIP was at 19 percent. Farage’s party then rose to 24 percent in the second wave of polling on April 26-28 after the Tory attacks, putting it temporarily ahead of the main opposition Labour Party."

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-05-01/anti-ukip-rhetoric-feeds-bounce-in-farage-popularity.html

• Options
    O/T:
    "A five-year-old has accidentally shot dead his two-year-old sister as he played with his own rifle.

The tragedy happened on Tuesday afternoon at a home in southern Kentucky.

Cumberland County coroner Gary White told the Lexington Herald-Leader it was "just one of those crazy accidents."

The boy had picked up the .22-calibre Crickett gun, which he was given as a birthday present last year, when it went off."
    http://news.sky.com/story/1085554/boy-5-kills-sister-2-with-childrens-rifle
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351

I may be wrong, but wasn't thought likely that the murder rate rose a little after the abolition of the death penalty. One reason being the greater chance of a jury bringing in a guilty verdict for murder (as opposed to manslaughter for example) when it didn't mean death for the defendant.
  • Options
    I've been amazed by the Tories behaviour over the last week. The one thing they shouldn't have done is give UKIP the oxygen of publicity in the final few days before election day, which is exactly what they have done, mostly courtesy of Ken Clarke.
  • Options
    Here's the homicide rate per capita, England and Wales, 1961 onwards.

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/7750/homicideratesew.png

@Socrates

Table 1.01. As we can see in the early 1960s, there were around 300 murders a year. Now there are around 700. Sadly the data only goes back to 1960s. As we can see from the overall crime graph, there was already more crime in the 60s than in the earlier 20th Century, so the murder rate was likely lower then. Whatever your insults about me hankering for a previous past time, you can't deny the facts that there was less crime in the early 20th Century than there is now. Speak to any criminologist and they will back me up. Indeed, in the 80s and 90s many thought rising crime rates was just an inevitable part of modernity. Thankfully we've bashed that mindset in the head, but we can certainly do better.
    As you can see we've made very good progress so far. At the moment, the homicide rate is in the late 1970s, which is over thirty years ago. While you're absolutely right to say homicides used to be rarer, that time is getting further and further ago. It would need to fall by another third before the homicide rate could be at an all-time low (if I recall correctly, the early part of the 20th century was more peaceful than ever before).
  • Options
    JonCJonC Posts: 67
    tpfkar said:

The problem in my experience is that there is a high concentration of people who are anti-wind farms in exactly the places where you would want to place them. So although the majority are clearly in favour, when it's a hot issue locally it swings the other way.

That's like saying the majority are in favour of higher taxes except those who would actually have to pay them!

How tedious that these people who live NEAR wind farms object to them, against the clearly expressed preferences of those who won't have to put up with the noise, ugliness, despoiling of the landscape, blood spatter from passing birds...
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

It's not surprising that wind farms are popular with the public. They're the energy equivalent of something for nothing, over the long-term.

If they are something for nothing how come Mrs Clegg et al made a few quid ?

• Options

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/jameskirkup/100214874/get-the-barnacles-off-the-boat-lynton-crosbys-advice-to-david-cameron-is-pure-west-wing/

"“Get the barnacles off the boat.”

That is part of the advice that Lynton Crosby has given David Cameron and senior Conservatives thinking about the next general election."

"Mr Crosby’s advice has helped the Tory team boil its message and its strategy down to a condensed essence: the economy, welfare reform, immigration controls, better schools."
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,968
    http://politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com/profile/21/Grandiose

Re. The low murder rate in the early C20: the First World War probably helped?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

@Andrea

Do you know how many constituencies are made up entirely of whole county council divisions so that we can add the votes up? Obviously seats which are comprised of whole districts or boroughs are in this category, such as Cannock Chase and Worcester.

I don't know. Burnley is also the same with the District. Gedling can be added as the divisions match the wards within the constituency. Frustrating there are a number of marginal constituencies which are 90% within whole council divisions with the odd 2 wards split. I didn't check Southern counties yet
    And it seems new boundary orders (for areas with boundary changes) don't have the clear divisions/wards recap as previous documents.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

@Socrates I gave you a chart earlier on together with an explanation as to why your highly misleading chart on the previous thread was intellectually dishonest.

But have a wikipedia page on the growth of numbers of criminal offences:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_criminal_law#Bulk_and_complexity

As for your focus on murder, my main observation is that murder was and remains a very rare crime. Many more people die in road deaths. But UKIP would no doubt be horrified if anyone sought to tackle bad driving more effectively.

The pure number of crimes on the books isn't the issue though. What you're claiming is that the increased number of crimes explains the rise in criminal offences. In reality, the number of people prosecuted for what they say in Twitter is very small. In addition, the stuff you link, even assuming its apples to apples, suggests the increase in law happened since 1980, when much of the rise in crime rates I am arguing happened before 1980.

Of course murder is a rare crime, but I picked the one that you couldn't claim used to be under reported. It showed a very similar pattern to the overall crime rates. The level of crime used to be lower. This is widely accepted among criminologists. You're grasping at straws to pretend otherwise.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    The Conservatives not so long ago wanted us to get back to Victorian values , Socrates wants UKIP to take us back to Edwardian values . Is this progress ?
  • Options
    JonCJonC Posts: 67
    AndyJS said:

If you ignore the energy costs involved in manufacture, installation, maintenance, keeping them warm when it's cold and the provision of backup power then yes...
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    News from the Haprenden frontline against the yellow peril.

LibDem Youth Wing captured in the High Street - A wayward group of shaven headed infiltrators has been apprehended wearing orange robes and singing their support for a certain Harry Krishner - he's not even standing locally !!

The local branch of the WI has been disbanded after they were found this morning to be selling home made quiche products in the Methodist Hall. Other contraband included suspicious looking orange marmalade and what we believe to be knitted beard warmers !!

It's tough in the trenches !!
  • Options
    edited May 2013

The Conservatives not so long ago wanted us to get back to Victorian values , Socrates wants UKIP to take us back to Edwardian values . Is this progress ?

Lefties are hilarious. I make the factual statement that crime was lower in the early 20th Century and that means that I support "Edwardian values". Is the intellectual case for social democracy so weak you have to make up crap about the other side? I wonder how the fact that I've supported gay marriage since before it was popular chimes with my Edwardian values...
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Some very interesting polling details from Survation:
    http://survation.com/2013/05/local-elections-2013-seat-projections-too-conservative/

If this breakdown is accurate (and we are in the process of adding more data) then the interesting conclusion is that the optimum UKIP vote share as far as Labour is concerned is actually around 16%. After than point, more of the marginal switchers to UKIP start to come from Labour than the Conservatives (even though the overall UKIP vote is still predominantly Tory into the 20%s, after 16% further growth in UKIP vote is offset by the falling Conservative share).

At this maximum point UKIP increases Labour’s lead over the Conservatives by about 5 percentage points, a potentially election-wrecking margin. Interestingly 16% is the UKIP vote share recorded in today’s Survation poll. In other words, UKIP is currently polling at the worst possible level for the Conservative Party’s prospects and is responsible for over half of Labour’s current lead in the opinion polls.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,131
    For me energy is really an economic question.

The reason I have serious reservations about wind power is that, rather than "something for nothing" as suggested downthread there is no evidence that it can compete with other sources of fuel on cost.

So we have to distort the market with green levies and carbon taxes and renewable targets for it to be built. There is a serious economic cost in these sort of fripperies and it can be seen in manufacturing employment. Personally, I don't think we can afford it.

I have similar reservations about nuclear. The real cost of our old nuclear stations (remember when they claimed nuclear would be so cheap electricity would not be worth charging for?) was truly catastrophic when the clear up costs were included. This is why the government is finding it so hard to persuade the private sector to take the risks and build new plants now. But nuclear does provide base which gives it a major advantage over wind.

Coal and gas are currently plentiful and cheap. We really should be using more of them and benefitting at least indirectly from the Shale revolution. If we don't we will lose what heavy industry we have left (and various pensioners will freeze to death because they can't afford to heat their homes etc).

We had really heavy hail here today. You can see white hills from my back garden, not very high ones. May. Just saying.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    edited May 2013
    Hot air and wind.

Just had Labour leaflet - £100,000 tax break for millionaires - how much do you earn to get that ffs. Local candidate for local people - but nothing on issues which directly impact on the ward or council level - all national issues.

Not in this together. Austerity. Fight the cuts. No to change in the NHS. Red herring BINGO. TBH - am pleased something eventually landed on the doormat even three days after I had actually posted the vote - but why did they bother to focus on national issues at a local election? Stuff on NHS was pathetic - given that local councils have damn all to do with the running of The NHS. Have just noticed the spelling and the punctuation, so much for Education, Education, Education.

Nothing on issues which Bristol Council actually could manage or influence. Nothing on Ed M the glorious leader heading to the sun kissed uplands.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,918

I do not in any way speak for the LDs.

Personally I am not against nuclear though there are big issues about funding the long term cost of any risk.

On wind farms the big problem is that they don't provide continuous power so other back up sources always have to be available.

From an aesthetic standpoint I rather like the look modern of wind windmills.

Anorak said:

Anorak said:

Anorak said:

I just went for an afternoon walk around my village. From the top of Crow Hill, I could see the new Cotton Farm Windfarm to the west (8 turbines generating 16MW), the Solar Park (7.5MW) and the wooden sails of Bourn Windmill.

A nice collection of ways of extracting energy from the environment (although Bourn Windmill ground its last corn many years ago). It will be interesting to see how well the wind and solar farms meet (or fail to) their stated capacities.

Of the three, the solar park is by the most visually obtrusive.

http://www.renewables-map.co.uk/details.asp?pageid=1790&pagename=Cotton Farm
    http://www.skylarkmeadow.co.uk/
    http://www.millsofeastanglia.org.uk/TEAMS/Bourn.html
  • Options

After Labour took us back to the depression of the 1930s anything is an improvement.

• Options
    @drspyn

are you in proper Bristol or outside of it?
    Because on another forum there were talks about Labour lack of doorstep activities in Bristol this year.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    Windfarms are rather like HS2. Most people kind-of support it as long as they're not impacted by any of the direct adverse effects, and as long as they're not troubled by the finances.

There are very few positive votes in the issue, though there are a larger number that can be lost by going ahead with either (or both). On the other hand, there are also votes to be lost by doing nothing - though they won't be lost until further in the future.

Richard N sums it all up excellently early on in the thread.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    antifrank said:

Off topic, James Lansdale has had his spelling corrected by BBC readers (including yours truly):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22356755

The BBC has had the effrontery to correct it without any kind of note to that effect. But the links on the right hand side to his other blog entries haven't yet been tidied up.

Old Etonian in spelling shock - good job he wasn't one of Cameron's clique, @Tim would be in overdrive for the next 24 hours.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799
    http://heresycorner.blogspot.com/2013/04/explaining-peace-paradox.html

The Heretic, who is very reliable when it comes to statistics, has a useful article here about violent crime. There is (qualified) good news. Violent crime rose relentlessly after 1950, and peaked between 2000-05, before dropping sharply. But, it remains well above the levels of 50-60 years ago. The rise and fall in rates of homicide over the same period has been less dramatic (one reason being that surgeons became much better at saving lives over the period) but it too peaked between 2000-05, before falling sharply. Overall, Britain is probably as peaceful now as it was in mid-Victorian times, but less peaceful than in the mid-twentieth century. Even mid-Victorian Britain was very peaceful by comparison with Britain in 1600, and still more, Britain in 1300.

WRT UKIP, I read Yougov's detailed data on them as indicating that they're the sort of people who fear (with good reason) that their children and grandchildren will be worse off than they were, rather than people who yearn for a return to the 1950s' (which most of them wouldn't remember).
  • Options
    david_kendrick1david_kendrick1 Posts: 325
    edited May 2013
    UKIP are allowed a couple of populist policies. We're against gay marriage and wind farms. On the first, I'm agnostic, and on the second, they are simply v poor value for money.

A popular decision for both types of power could be this: free electricty for those who find themselves with either in their back yard. No, its not too difficult: the French did it with their nuclear power stations. Of course its 'not fair', but that does not stop it being sensible.
    Do I want to get into a discussion about the 'radius of impact', or 'a sliding scale'? I do not (or not until I'm closer to being energy minister in a UKIP govt.....).
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    tim said:

I make the factual statement that crime was lower in the early 20th Century

Homicide rate in 1910 = 8.1 per million
    Homicide rate in 2011/2 = 9.8 per million

We are approaching crossover with Edwardian Britain.
    Given the better reporting of infanticide we may have already reached it.

We don't count abortion in the statistics tim.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,968
    Andrea. Oxford appears to have had more murders per capita than Sao Paulo or Mexico City if we take the evidence of Morse into account.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799
    JackW said:

News from the Haprenden frontline against the yellow peril.

LibDem Youth Wing captured in the High Street - A wayward group of shaven headed infiltrators has been apprehended wearing orange robes and singing their support for a certain Harry Krishner - he's not even standing locally !!

The local branch of the WI has been disbanded after they were found this morning to be selling home made quiche products in the Methodist Hall. Other contraband included suspicious looking orange marmalade and what we believe to be knitted beard warmers !!

It's tough in the trenches !!

I'd expect to see Hare Krishna followers in the environs of Letchmore Heath, rather than Harpenden.

• Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,914
    Socrates said:

Lefties are hilarious. I make the factual statement that crime was lower in the early 20th Century and that means that I support "Edwardian values". Is the intellectual case for social democracy so weak you have to make up crap about the other side? I wonder how the fact that I've supported gay marriage since before it was popular chimes with my Edwardian values...

Was it much lower though? Visible crime perhaps. But crimes committed in the home were probably far less reported than they are now - domestic violence and abuse, for example.

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

UKIP are allowed a couple of populist policies. We're against gay marriage and wind farms. On the second, I'm agnostic, and on the first, they are simply v poor value for money.

A popular decision for both types of power could be this: free electricty for those who find themselves with either in their back yard. No, its not too difficult: the French did it with their nuclear power stations. Of course its 'not fair', but that does not stop it being sensible.
    Do I want to get into a discussion about the 'radius of impact', or 'a sliding scale'? I do not (or not until I'm closer to being energy minister in a UKIP govt.....).

Gays - "v poor value for money" ????

More like spend, spend, spend !!

• Options
    david_kendrick1david_kendrick1 Posts: 325
    edited May 2013
    How do I edit? Thanks Andrea.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    There has been a by-election campaign in a Midsomer episode. Planning applications were cause of deaths.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

Socrates said:

Was it much lower though? Visible crime perhaps. But crimes committed in the home were probably far less reported than they are now - domestic violence and abuse, for example.

Sunshine in Warwickshire Mr SO, fancy a pint some time over the summer ?
  • Options
    edited May 2013

How do I edit? In my previous comment, I switched 'first' and 'second'. The pressures of canvassing. Sorry.

Move the mouse on the right of your comment. A sort of wheel appears, click on it
  • Options
    Gerry_ManderGerry_Mander Posts: 621

UKIP are allowed a couple of populist policies. We're against gay marriage and wind farms. On the first, I'm agnostic, and on the second, they are simply v poor value for money.

This post looks mixed up. 'find them with either'. Are you talking about free electricity for those with memarried gays in their back yard?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Good afternoon, everyone.

I trust we're all excited about analysing in forensic detail and with methodical precision tomorrow's results? Are most of them being counted overnight?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,914

Socrates said:

Sunshine in Warwickshire Mr SO, fancy a pint some time over the summer ?

For sure. And we should throw in a pie (or equivalent) for good measure.

We can despair as the land turns to dust and drought spreads its wicked claws once more.

• Options
    @david_kendrick1

That's a good idea: you could get round the problem of HS2 by offering free tickets to those living next to the line but miles from a station.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Some propah Kip trolling in the comments here - I just don't know where Ken Clarke got his ideas from !

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/telegram/100214897/will-ukip-bigots-ensure-a-labour-victory-in-2015/

Altogether now "LibLabCon, LibLabCon, LibLabCon...."

• Options
    edited May 2013
    @Slackbladder

That's pretty much what I was thinking myself, that once UKIP get close to 20% they start eating into the traditional Labour vote just as much as Tory support. Nice to see it confirmed by a poll.
  • Options
    So much for Education, Education, Education.

Spot the errors.labourbristol.org/profiles/phillip_jardine
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    DavidL said:

We had really heavy hail here today. You can see white hills from my back garden, not very high ones. May. Just saying.

Are you implying that hail is unusual in England in May?

In the UK hail is a weather phenomenon that is more common in the summer*, as it is mainly in the summer that one has the strong thunderstorms, with the strong updraughts and downdraughts, that are necessary to create hail.

Today, we have had a few days of mostly clear weather, so the land has heated up a bit. The sea temperatures are still quite cold. So you have cold moist air flowing over warm land - this would be perfect conditions for showers, except that the high pressure seems to be keeping a lid on things. Thus the saying of "April showers bring May flowers". If one of these showers is particularly vigorous then it will produce hail.

If the surface temperature is 20C then the freezing level is only 2-3km up, which is not really that far, so the hail does not have time to melt before it reaches the ground.

* It's useful here to think of a summer half of the year from roughly April to September.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Surely comparing crime now to Edwardian times is pretty useless. The two eras are so different

There was no DNA profiling or CCTV in Edwardian times!
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

So much for Education, Education, Education.

Spot the errors.labourbristol.org/profiles/phillip_jardine

I must say I find the name of Labour's Bristol West PPC wonderful:

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you: Thangam Debbonaire!
  • Options
    taffys said:

Surely comparing crime now to Edwardian times is pretty useless. The two eras are so different

There was no DNA profiling or CCTV in Edwardian times!

Or, more importantly, Crimewatch!
  • Options

Socrates said:

I'd read back through the thread if you like. Yes, it was much lower:

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/47727000/gif/_47727330_crime_1898_09_466.gif

I highly doubt that domestic abuse can make up that gap. But even if it did, we can commend ourselves on doing much better at stamping out domestic abuse, while still being alarmed at the much higher levels of outside the home crime. There is firm academic evidence that re-offending and deterrents are much improved with longer prison sentences. It would also keep criminals off the streets longer and increase public confidence in the justice system.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Socrates said:

I'd read back through the thread if you like. Yes, it was much lower:

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/47727000/gif/_47727330_crime_1898_09_466.gif

I highly doubt that domestic abuse can make up that gap. But even if it did, we can commend ourselves on doing much better at stamping out domestic abuse, while still being alarmed at the much higher levels of outside the home crime. There is firm academic evidence that re-offending and deterrents are much improved with longer prison sentences. It would also keep criminals off the streets longer and increase public confidence in the justice system.
    "A child down a mine is a child not in crime." as my great-grandfather used to say.
  • Options
    F1: good news. F1 is apparently unlikely to return to the awful Valencia circuit (which did manage to have an exciting race last season, for perhaps the first time):
    http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2013/04/30/the-economics-of-f1-in-spain/
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,131

DavidL said:

Are you implying that hail is unusual in England in May?

In the UK hail is a weather phenomenon that is more common in the summer*, as it is mainly in the summer that one has the strong thunderstorms, with the strong updraughts and downdraughts, that are necessary to create hail.

Today, we have had a few days of mostly clear weather, so the land has heated up a bit. The sea temperatures are still quite cold. So you have cold moist air flowing over warm land - this would be perfect conditions for showers, except that the high pressure seems to be keeping a lid on things. Thus the saying of "April showers bring May flowers". If one of these showers is particularly vigorous then it will produce hail.

If the surface temperature is 20C then the freezing level is only 2-3km up, which is not really that far, so the hail does not have time to melt before it reaches the ground.

* It's useful here to think of a summer half of the year from roughly April to September.
    I am actually in Scotland but fair enough point about the hail. It is just so damned cold. As I say the hills are still getting snow. Most years May is our best month. Here's hoping.

• Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    "A child down a mine is a child not in crime." as my great-grandfather used to say.

I wonder how many were convicted in Edwardian times for injuring poachers, beating servants and striking children? What was the white collar crime rate for stuff like fraud, insider dealing etc. etc.

EM Forster and JP Priestley are good on how the wealthy scr*wed the poor and got away with it.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506

Windfarms are rather like HS2. Most people kind-of support it as long as they're not impacted by any of the direct adverse effects, and as long as they're not troubled by the finances.

There are very few positive votes in the issue, though there are a larger number that can be lost by going ahead with either (or both). On the other hand, there are also votes to be lost by doing nothing - though they won't be lost until further in the future.

HS2 is estimated to cost the whole country over £30 billion pouinds, probably a lot more in practice, plus the annual subsidy to run it.

So it is not an issue for NIMBYs, it is an issue for every taxpayer. The penny has not dropped yet. Poor taxpayers will be paying for rich business men's toy train set.

• Options

HS2 is estimated to cost the whole country over £30 billion pouinds, probably a lot more in practice, plus the annual subsidy to run it.

So it is not an issue for NIMBYs, it is an issue for every taxpayer. The penny has not dropped yet. Poor taxpayers will be paying for rich business men's toy train set.

And Crossrail is costing £15.9 billion, for something that advantages only London.

Where were your complaints then?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    A bellweather to watch on Friday will be Cannock Chase. UKIP could do very well there, taking support from Labour as well as Conservative. If Labour don't win the most votes by a clear margin I expect they'll be pretty worried.

The result in 2010 was Con 40%, Lab 33%, LD 17%, BNP 5%, UKIP 3.5%:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/election2010/results/constituency/a89.stm

The four main parties are fielding a full slate:

http://www.cannockchasedc.gov.uk/downloads/file/3948/statement_of_persons_nominated
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    UKIP = opportunistic Nimby Party.
  • Options
    carlcarl Posts: 750

Good afternoon, everyone.

I trust we're all excited about analysing in forensic detail and with methodical precision tomorrow's results? Are most of them being counted overnight?

Yeah right.

Con: disappointing, but mid term, protest votes, but better than expected, we did well in x.
    Lib: disappointing, but mid term, protest votes, but better than expected, we did well in y.
    Lab: better than expected, we did well in z, it shows we're winning all over the country, but lots of work still to do.
    UKIP: better than expected, voters fed up of big parties, we're on the march.
  • Options

http://politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com/profile/21/Grandiose

Re. The low murder rate in the early C20: the First World War probably helped?

Maybe. It does appear to have been sustained for some time though.
  • Options

And Crossrail is costing £15.9 billion, for something that advantages only London.

Yay! I got my first 'off-topic' flag!

Thanks, Mr. Tyndall!
  • Options

Given that Crossrail has been criticised heavily for bullying residents along the route into selling for much less than the market value I am not sure it is a great example to bring up when discussing HS2.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

Thanks, Mr. Tyndall!
    Amusing how he agreed with the previous post, and then deemed yours off topic, despite talking about exactly the same topic! Funny thing the internet.
  • Options

Thanks, Mr. Tyndall!

Oops. That was me hitting the wrong button when I meant to hit quote. Of course it wasn't off topic as I assume my subsequent post to you will have made clear.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    Based on the Comres poll out yesterday, it looks like there will be a swing of about 4% from Tory to Labour tomorrow and 4.5% from LD to Tory and 8.5% from LD to Labour, UKIP will take votes from them all!
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    edited May 2013
    [Nigel Farage] had told me that ‘immigration will dominate the referendum campaign’ when it comes. This is a significant tactical move from Farage. For whatever Cameron achieves in the renegotiation, he is unlikely to get—or seek—major changes to freedom of movement.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2013/05/nigel-farage-immigration-will-dominate-the-eu-referendum-campaign/

Of course the third sentence I've quoted is indeed true. If anyone can explain to me why this is an argument to vote UKIP in 2015, rather than Conservative in order to get the referendum so you can then vote for Out, I would be grateful. Any concessions Cameron may or may not get are irrelevant, aren't they? It's the referendum which the UKIPers want (or claim to want; one has to wonder how sincere they are). For UKIPpers to vote in a way that makes it more likely that Labour will form the government, and therefore to get no attempt (successful or not) at renegotiation AND no referendum, would be utterly bizarre.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    I am always wary of polls that are commissioned by special interest groups.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited May 2013
    Boy George, Boy Genius

How is the UK doing against the US and China?

Well we might not have caught up yet but we are the only one of the three moving in the right direction.

US manufacturing growth fell to 50.7 last month from 51.3 in March, according to the Institute for Supply Management (ISM), missing the 50.9 market estimate.

A reading above 50 indicates expansion.

The sector also weakened in China, falling to 50.6 in April from 50.9 in March. The official purchasing managers’ index, released by the China Federation of Logistics and Purchasing, came in below forecasts for a reading in line with the previous month.

In the UK, manufacturing increased to 49.8 in April from 48.6 the previous month, revealed the Markit Economics and the Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply. It beat analysts’ expectations for a reading of 48.5 but fell below the reading of 50 needed to indicate growth.

Whatever would the country have done without Osborne?
  • Options

If anyone can explain to me why this is an argument to vote UKIP in 2015, rather than Conservative in which you would get the referendum and can then vote for Out, I would be grateful.

It is very simple and has been repeated many times. As it stands at the moment Cameron will only allow a referendum if he believes he is assured he will win. Under any other circumstances he will make sure that the referendum is either not held or the terms are so wide as to allow him to completely ignore it afterwards.

Cameron has already burnt his bridges as far as a referendum is concerned and he is simply not trusted on the issue.
  • Options
    Mr. Tyndall, there's no chance of a blue landslide at the election. If Cameron wins outright it'll be with a slender majority. His backbenchers will force him into a referendum even if he doesn't want one. You don't have to trust Cameron to believe a Conservative victory would lead to a referendum.

Indeed, it's the only realistic result which could.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited May 2013
    @AndyJS."the question is why is a party like UKIP suddenly becoming popular now. The answer must be because the three main parties don't even pretend to care about the anxieties of such people these days."

I'm beginning to understand. It's to do with alienation something I hadn't really considered till this morning. A feeling that your destiny isn't in your hands that we live in a dystopian Hell where authority is wielded by faceless people and cameras.

I might risk ridicule for this but my eureka moment came this morning when I got my second speeding ticket in a week. Both times for doing 38 MPH in an area unfamiliar and both caught on a camera which had no indication signs or warning.

Who is it that is spying on our every move? Who authorized this spying? It feels Orwellian. if UKIP give the impression of having a human face (and stops their racism and fruitcakery) then I can begin to understand their appeal.
This discussion has been closed.