Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Events, events – how even a government with a big majority can

Comments

• Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987
    Just left the building for the first time in a week. Weird feeling, strolling in the sunshine.

I've just flipped 180 degrees from protecting others from me (I've no symptoms) to protecting me from others.

Quick trip to local Tesco Express for provisions. Very quiet. Reasonably stocked except for toilet paper and washing up liquid.

Back inside now. Chatting to passers by from my balcony. Practicing Nessun Dorma for later.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWc7vYjgnTs
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Deadpool - Elvis.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,566
    Dr Catherine Calderwood, Scotland’s chief medical officer, described blanket school closures that lasted a few weeks as ineffective.

[You need] a minimum of three month in order to really suppress the spread of the virus in these type of institutions. The thought that children won’t mix together for three months is impossible.

We therefore risk having children congregate to other areas together, the virus is spread amongst them, so you actually have measures put in which are ineffective in keeping virus from those groups of children.

To compare talking about closing the schools for two weeks, it’s very very clear from the science that is not a scientific way to either prevent the spread of the virus nor indeed to protect vulnerable people.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/mar/16/coronavirus-live-updates-us-cdc-events-europe-lockdown-uk-deaths-australia-france-italy-spain-update-latest-news
  • Options
    BalrogBalrog Posts: 207

Supermarket deliveries were always going to fall over. There's a finite amount of capacity, every delivery costs the supermarkets money so little incentive to significantly invest in more. The idea that people can fall back on the Tesco man doing the shopping for them was always a non-starter.

Had to explain this to my dad. He is not exactly up to speed with new fangled technology but suggested that they would do their first online shop rather than go out. I pointed out that its likely 2 or 3 weeks until delivery so better to go shop. They're old, his chest is buggered, they're largely keeping away from people, but will need stuff.

And no, I can't do the shopping for them as its a long way.

Someone should set up an app /website where people can see up reciprocal arrangements with people in other parts of the country, sort of I'll help your parents out and you can help mine. Though i guess there are lots of local arrangements for volunteers being put in place
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2020
    Balrog said:

Supermarket deliveries were always going to fall over. There's a finite amount of capacity, every delivery costs the supermarkets money so little incentive to significantly invest in more. The idea that people can fall back on the Tesco man doing the shopping for them was always a non-starter.

Had to explain this to my dad. He is not exactly up to speed with new fangled technology but suggested that they would do their first online shop rather than go out. I pointed out that its likely 2 or 3 weeks until delivery so better to go shop. They're old, his chest is buggered, they're largely keeping away from people, but will need stuff.

And no, I can't do the shopping for them as its a long way.

Someone should set up an app /website where people can see up reciprocal arrangements with people in other parts of the country, sort of I'll help your parents out and you can help mine. Though i guess there are lots of local arrangements for volunteers being put in place
    Yes. These sort of city-wide and nationwide online things worked very well in Greece during the height of their economic crisis there, as my friends there told me.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,880

RobD said:

Dura_Ace said:

There is some fucking goal hanging going now. Gazza and the Beast of Bolsover FFS...

@Dura_Ace David Mitchell
    @tlg86 Jeremy Clarkson
    @MarqueeMark Polly Toynbee
    @SandyRentool Simon Calder
    @malcolmg Philip Schofield
    @kinabula The Queen
    @Garethofthevale2 Michael Heseltine
    @Philip_Thompson S.K. Tremayne
    @RochdalePioneers George R.R. Martin
    @Foss Prince Philip
    @Benpointer Donald Trump
    @Endillion David Attenborough
    @nichomar Anne Widdicombe
    @Topping Cordelia Gummer
    @AramintaMoonbeamQC Jeremy Corbyn
    @Beibheirli_C Clint Eastwood
    @Richard_Tyndall Prince Charles
    @williamglenn Barry Manilow
    @felix Owen Jones
    @eristdoof Keith Richards
    @paulyork64 Paul Gascoigne
    @OldKingCole Dennis Skinner
    @CarlottaVance Duchess of Cornwall
    @Stocky Michael Palin
    @Pro_Rata Kenneth Clarke
    @MrEd Gwyneth Paltrow

I feel slightly uneasy about PB posters nominating other PB posters. SeanT and I could feel picked upon you know.
    Oh c'mon, there's been great decorum shown. No-ones gone for Big_G.

Yet.
    Tut-tut - I fear you may get a polite finger-wagging from Big_G for that one!
    I am top of the lists according to medical experts because of my pre existing conditions
    We're going to have to keep you in one of those giant zorbing balls for safety, aren't we?
    I am genuinely surprised that the likes of Trump haven't been placed inside some sort of protective apparatus. If a chemical weapon had just gone off, they would have him in a bunker in seconds.
    His orange skin is especially unnatural at the moment. He has long been a germophobe, so I'm guessing the orange is not fake-tan but an antiviral/antibacterial coating
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    Cyclefree said:

isam said:

I hope the Coronavirus isn’t as bad as forecasted, but the worlds inhabitants learn a lesson about the true price of globalism. I went for a run through the countryside and past the lake this morning and could almost hear them breathing a sigh of relief

Globalisation is one thing.

The lunatic assumption that that the Chinese government is some sort of viable international partner than we can work with on a high level is quite another.

Well, quite.

This is a country which has barbaric and unhygienic live meat markets allowing such a virus to develop and escape, which did nothing when the disease first came to light, which punished those brave doctors and others who gave a warning, which is probably lying about what has gone on in the country and which is now trying to blame other countries for its failings.

A few spare respirators to Italy is, frankly, the very least they can do.
    We all enjoyed exports from China.

Until they exported their utter disregard for human freedom, health and life.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,566
    Guardian:

Virgin Atlantic has drastically reduced its flight schedule and stopped flights between London’s Heathrow, and Newark, New Jersey. In a statement it said:

This change amounts (to an) approximately 80% reduction in flights per day by 26 March. As a direct consequence we will be parking approximately 75% of our fleet by 26 March and at points in April will go up to 85%.

Owing to restrictions to international travel, the airline is reducing services to focus on core routes, depending on customer demand. This will be subject to constant review as the situation evolves.

Our London Heathrow-Newark route will be permanently terminated with immediate effect.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,895

Comedy in the office as we try new fangled technology like Skype and WhatsApp video calls

Sigh. One thing that has struck me since this virus took hold is the sheer volume of utterly backward companies out there. It's would be laughable if it wasn't so worrying!
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Barnesian said:

Just left the building for the first time in a week. Weird feeling, strolling in the sunshine.

I've just flipped 180 degrees from protecting others from me (I've no symptoms) to protecting me from others.

Quick trip to local Tesco Express for provisions. Very quiet. Reasonably stocked except for toilet paper and washing up liquid.

Back inside now. Chatting to passers by from my balcony. Practicing Nessun Dorma for later.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWc7vYjgnTs

It is indeed a strange day. Beautiful spring weather for the start of such a potentially tough period.
  • Options
    Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836
    edited March 2020
    It looks like Russia hacked the website of the US Department of Health and Human Services last night in a manner designed to slow down the response to Coronavirus.

It is jaw dropping how we in the West continue to let Russia do this shit and just tut loudly. We did nothing to put them off killing British citizens after Litvinenko, nothing after the Skripal attacks. And those are just the ones that make the news.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Comedy in the office as we try new fangled technology like Skype and WhatsApp video calls

The internet is struggling to cope today.

Rather humbling to discover that many of our companies' remote-working facilities are held together with sellotape and pieces of string. Shocking in this day and age.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,543
    Indeed. Seems very late to be thinking about this.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,141
    edited March 2020

isam said:

I hope the Coronavirus isn’t as bad as forecasted, but the worlds inhabitants learn a lesson about the true price of globalism. I went for a run through the countryside and past the lake this morning and could almost hear them breathing a sigh of relief

Globalisation is one thing.

The lunatic assumption that that the Chinese government is some sort of viable international partner than we can work with on a high level is quite another.

It's not a lunatic assumption. The Chinese government is an evil genocidal dictatorship and it lies a lot but:

1) It's just as much of a rational actor as any nation state. You can talk to its representatives, make deals that benefit both parties, and have a reasonable expectation that it'll stick to them

2) Its government is not monolithic. Although there's an autocrat at the top there's also power in a lot of different places, and there are a lot of very smart people involved in governing it

3) Its ability to do things that have never been done before is a phenomenon, and if you don't try to learn from it (both positive things and negative things) you're an idiot
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,810
    DougSeal said:

RobD said:

Far too few resources are being devoted to cure and detection.

Public Health England busy discrediting home detection kits. We don;t know whether they work or not. Well why don't you? why aren't you testing them yourselves?

Meanwhile we have a vaccine, would you think about accelerated approval?

No thanks.

Perhaps some governments are enjoying this. They won;t be when they see the consequences of what they are doing

There's a vaccine?
    Is there a missing “when” in there?
    In news today they were trialling one on humans
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,909
    Afternoon folks

a couple of points I was pondering overnight on the practical side of things.

Is there a test in existence that will tell if someone has actually had the virus (as opposed to currently having it). It strikes me this would be extremely useful both for the authorities and for individuals. If I know I have had it then I am useful as a bridge to those who are vulnerable who have not had it.

We are in the process of trying to set up a lifeline system for vulnerable people living alone in the village - basically anyone over 70 or with pre existing conditions who needs to isolate but needs support. Does anyone have any advice on stuff to do with this? What are the rules on CRB checks? What is the best way to interface with the vulnerable person to minimise exposure? We are working on the basis that all interaction must be at the doorstep or gate to minimise contact risks and also so people feel comfortable using the system as their would be no strangers entering their homes. Are their any useful tips or things people can suggest to help this all along?

Once we get going I will let you know our experiences in case they are useful.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Jonathan said:

Deadpool - Elvis.

Costello?
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    eristdoof said:

RobD said:

Dura_Ace said:

There is some fucking goal hanging going now. Gazza and the Beast of Bolsover FFS...

@MrEd Gwyneth Paltrow

I feel slightly uneasy about PB posters nominating other PB posters. SeanT and I could feel picked upon you know.

Yet.
    Tut-tut - I fear you may get a polite finger-wagging from Big_G for that one!
    I am top of the lists according to medical experts because of my pre existing conditions
    We're going to have to keep you in one of those giant zorbing balls for safety, aren't we?
    I am genuinely surprised that the likes of Trump haven't been placed inside some sort of protective apparatus. If a chemical weapon had just gone off, they would have him in a bunker in seconds.
    His orange skin is especially unnatural at the moment. He has long been a germophobe, so I'm guessing the orange is not fake-tan but an antiviral/antibacterial coating
    I'm surprised Trump hasn't received more credit for breaking the glass ceiling as a severely under-represented American minority. Everyone cheered Obama for being the first black President, but where are the accolades for the first orange President, huh? This just underscores the historic discrimination they continue to face :wink:

• Options
    FossFoss Posts: 694
    VPN is - as usual - fine. Teams remains a flaky piece of ****. OTOH it's three hours until the west coast is online so there is still scope for failure.
  • Options
    DAlexanderDAlexander Posts: 815
    A Japanese man that had recovered from the Diamond Princess has tested positive again for the virus:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/japan-coronavirus-test-positive-recover-a9404056.html
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Did we see the that some resourceful Italians started printing ventilator valves and the official suppliers got shirty about it.
  • Options
    But they are going to be so freaked out when they do start coming out....
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,419
    tlg86 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if it crashes under the pressure.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,072
    nichomar said:

I just need to stay cool but it’s testing me from all directions now Can’t do anything about it so no point getting upset. Thanks for the comments I’m sure there are others out their living with different forms of dementia and it’s good to share sometimes.

You take care and keep posting. You're my current favourite poster. :smile:
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,925

tlg86 said:

Rather humbling to discover that many of our companies' remote-working facilities are held together with sellotape and pieces of string. Shocking in this day and age.
    Hardly surprising - unless your core systems are in "the cloud" or a similarly well connected data centre the cable to and from the office will be the weakest link..
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,946
    HYUFD said:
    Government business is certainly in need of support, whether it's quite at the stage of needing a ventilator is yet to be seen.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

@Dura_Ace David Mitchell
    @tlg86 Jeremy Clarkson
    @MarqueeMark Polly Toynbee
    @SandyRentool Simon Calder
    @malcolmg Philip Schofield
    @kinabula The Queen
    @Garethofthevale2 Michael Heseltine
    @Philip_Thompson S.K. Tremayne
    @RochdalePioneers George R.R. Martin
    @Foss Prince Philip
    @Benpointer Donald Trump
    @Endillion David Attenborough
    @nichomar Anne Widdicombe
    @Topping Cordelia Gummer
    @AramintaMoonbeamQC Jeremy Corbyn
    @Beibheirli_C Clint Eastwood
    @Richard_Tyndall Prince Charles
    @williamglenn Barry Manilow
    @felix Owen Jones
    @eristdoof Keith Richards
    @paulyork64 Paul Gascoigne
    @OldKingCole Dennis Skinner
    @CarlottaVance Duchess of Cornwall
    @Stocky Michael Palin
    @Pro_Rata Kenneth Clarke
    @MrEd Gwyneth Paltrow

Yet.
    Extremely harsh Mark, even in jest.
    Betting-type odds on death are not PB at its most appealing or humane.

Agreed.
    It is just a bit of fun
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,909
    One thought on the long term impacts of CV.

Would I be right in assuming this is gong to massively boost the drive towards online shopping on a permanent basis? The one issue for online shopping has always been the fear of the unknown and getting over that first step - especially amongst the elderly. But once they have been forced by circumstance to take the plunge I wonder if it will accelerate the move away from the high street to online shopping as the norm.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    kinabalu said:

nichomar said:

I just need to stay cool but it’s testing me from all directions now Can’t do anything about it so no point getting upset. Thanks for the comments I’m sure there are others out their living with different forms of dementia and it’s good to share sometimes.

You take care and keep posting. You're my current favourite poster. :smile:
    I cant imagine why just post the bits of info I see that people may find interesting.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Tell me about it. First time I've strolled in sunshine for what feels like half a year....
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    nichomar said:

TOPPING said:

nichomar said:

My morning routine. get wife up and after she has showered and dressed asks me where we going for lunch, I say nowhere they are all closed.
    Why? Because of the virus
    What virus? The one that’s on the news 24*7
    Oh

Repeat again tomorrow.

So sorry to hear that it must be very challenging.
    @Nichomar Best wishes Nichomar
  • Options
    Been told I am working from home next week. Savings on travel will be not inconsiderable....
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,701

Would I be right in assuming this is gong to massively boost the drive towards online shopping on a permanent basis? The one issue for online shopping has always been the fear of the unknown and getting over that first step - especially amongst the elderly. But once they have been forced by circumstance to take the plunge I wonder if it will accelerate the move away from the high street to online shopping as the norm.

Plus working from home?
  • Options
    eek said:

tlg86 said:

Hardly surprising - unless your core systems are in "the cloud" or a similarly well connected data centre the cable to and from the office will be the weakest link..
    We've been Cloud based for years. Amazed that so many other companies aren't.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited March 2020

And in the Canadian BBH, "In a clip that has been shared on YouTube, contestants in the house can be heard discussing why there was no audience to cheer out the first person who has been evicted. Their confusion towards the empty audience suggests they have no idea what’s happening in the outside world."

Part of me hopes when they leave they're greeted not just by an empty audience but camera crew in Eadric style gloves and N95 mask, and Davina (or local equivalent) in full biohazard suit only letting them cross the threshold to leave the BB complex once they sanitise their hands... And a booming voiceover from Marcus Bentley (or local equivalent) through the loudspeaker warning the contestant to maintain two metres minimum distance if they move in for a hug!
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    deleted - double post.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651

Afternoon folks

a couple of points I was pondering overnight on the practical side of things.

Is there a test in existence that will tell if someone has actually had the virus (as opposed to currently having it). It strikes me this would be extremely useful both for the authorities and for individuals. If I know I have had it then I am useful as a bridge to those who are vulnerable who have not had it.

We are in the process of trying to set up a lifeline system for vulnerable people living alone in the village - basically anyone over 70 or with pre existing conditions who needs to isolate but needs support. Does anyone have any advice on stuff to do with this? What are the rules on CRB checks? What is the best way to interface with the vulnerable person to minimise exposure? We are working on the basis that all interaction must be at the doorstep or gate to minimise contact risks and also so people feel comfortable using the system as their would be no strangers entering their homes. Are their any useful tips or things people can suggest to help this all along?

Once we get going I will let you know our experiences in case they are useful.

We will have a much clearer idea of how the virus has spread and how many people have had it without reporting or experiencing symptoms once serological tests (checking for antibodies) are available. I believe Singapore was exploring a possible test but had difficulty telling apart COVID-19 from dengue, IIRC.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,210

And in the Canadian BBH, "In a clip that has been shared on YouTube, contestants in the house can be heard discussing why there was no audience to cheer out the first person who has been evicted. Their confusion towards the empty audience suggests they have no idea what’s happening in the outside world."

Part of me hopes when they leave they're greeted not just by an empty audience but camera crew in Eadric style gloves and N95 mask, and Davina (or local equivalent) in full biohazard suit only letting them cross the threshold to leave the BB complex once they sanitise their hands...
    Let's hope they are not the only ones left when they emerge. The future of the race resting with Big Brother contestants is the scariest thought yet
  • Options

Barnesian said:

Tell me about it. First time I've strolled in sunshine for what feels like half a year....
    This is one of the nicest times of year usually. Intimations of summer, the days opening out and lengthening..
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,048
    HYUFD said:
    Let's cultivate kindness, love and compassion... Not taking babies away from their mothers and putting them in cages might be a good place to start. Fuck you Ivanka.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115

deleted - double post.

agree - I love spring.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

It may be more efficient to shop online but I wouldn't like to live in a society where nearly everyone does it (once the crisis is over). The same is true for home-working.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,072
    nichomar said:

I cant imagine why just post the bits of info I see that people may find interesting.

It's that image you conjure of watching the world flow by from that terrace in sleepy sunny Spain. I find it appealing.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    Went out onto my balcony, sighed at the beautiful blue sky and golden sunlight.

Got buzzed by the biggest fucking bumblebee I've ever seen.

Went back inside.

:wink:
  • Options

I have a close relative who is undergoing chemotherapy and has chosen to self-isolate (to the extent possible). She's always been a bit computer-phobic but, after a bit of help from me, is now raving about the wonders of Ocado and Amazon. That's one permanent convert, I think!
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,900

HYUFD said:
    Let's cultivate kindness, love and compassion... Not taking babies away from their mothers and putting them in cages might be a good place to start. Fuck you Ivanka.
    There is more joy in heaven over one sinner that repenteth.......
  • Options
    Will trains and buses be sustainable to run if only 20% or 30% of the normal number of customers are using them, unless the government provides temporary funding?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,184
    Andy_JS said:

tlg86 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if it crashes under the pressure.
    Perhaps Russia will try to blow it up.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,299
    TOPPING said:

Yes I think a testing kit for everyone would be a very wise investment for the govt. Of course logistically impossible I'm sure.

At the moment everyone is in: "will I get it/do I have it/did I have it" mode.

Data are king. Once we know who, where and when the govt can act.

I agree. Can be popped through the letterbox. Links up with an app where you can put in your results and it will be added to the national totals. Some basic Corona support items would also be nice. Corona kits.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Three Spanish hospitals participate in two international clinical trials to combat COVID-19. It will be tested in two groups of voluntary patients, some severe and others with moderate involvement.
    Both studies, in collaboration with the Gilead Laboratory, and which have the approval of the Spanish Medicines Agency, are international in scope. In Europe Spain, Germany, Italy and France participate and, specifically in our country, the La Paz-Carlos III, Cruces (Bilbao) and Clinic (Barcelona) hospitals. A drug that has previously been studied for the treatment of other diseases also caused by coronavirus will be investigated.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

HYUFD said:
    And that prompts another question.

Will there be a change in the religious beliefs of the world after CV?
  • Options

My attempts to work from home are being stymied by unreliable Wi-fi at the other end.

Yes I did wonder about whether all the firms asking staff to work from home had the network infrastructure for them all to "dial in". I work for one of the biggest tech companies on the planet and they have just asked people not to sit on the VPNs for longer than necessary to access internal systems.
    Grim if their network cannot cope
    Ours is working a treat as always, mind you it is the best Tech company on the planet B)
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    HYUFD said:
    To me that conjures up a comic vision of chaps with improbable moustaches cobbling together a ventilator using a car battery, jump leads, a starter motor, a fuel pump and a couple of rubber hoses.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    Right, so what tells us is that a fair number of people are not concerned about this crisis. At the moment.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Will trains and buses be sustainable to run if only 20% or 30% of the normal number of customers are using them, unless the government provides temporary funding?

The list of sectors wanting a bailout is getting longer.......if they do for one....
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,137
    And the alternatives were May still in office, or Corbyn.

Can you imagine the dither over every aspect of the science with May at the helm and only Nick Timonthy allowed in to see her?
  • Options
    Apple down 13% on opening
  • Options
    "The BBC is to delay TV licence fee changes for the over-75s until August in light of the coronavirus situation.

Free TV licences for up to 3.7 million people had been due to be scrapped on 1 June, but that has been put back to 1 August.

These are "exceptional circumstances" and "now is not the right time", BBC chairman Sir David Clementi said."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51911065
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    They cannot see anything go past without wanting to be the biggest
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,210

Can you imagine the dither over every aspect of the science with May at the helm and only Nick Timonthy allowed in to see her?
    We could have had Hunt
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Right, so what tells us is that a fair number of people are not concerned about this crisis. At the moment.
    The poll doesn't have any information about whether people are concerned by the crisis does it?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    That seems an extraordinarily risky strategy for the UK to me. If South Korea, Taiwan, etc. have been able to nip the spread in the bud on this wave, why would they not be able to do the same again? Or at least use the intervening time to expand their ICU provision. Also, how to we know that it will be possible to manage the height and timing of the peak? Italy, for example, is struggling to keep infections to a manageable level despite virtually shutting down parts of its economy.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,622

Andy_JS said:

The list of sectors wanting a bailout is getting longer.......if they do for one....
    70%-90% of the economy will need a bail out. Sector by sector is madness barring very a few key strategic assets. Helicopter money and allowing companies to suspend wages is far superior.
  • Options

Indeed. Seems very late to be thinking about this.
    Just shows yet again how useless they are, unbelievable.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Three Spanish hospitals participate in two international clinical trials to combat COVID-19. It will be tested in two groups of voluntary patients, some severe and others with moderate involvement.
    Both studies, in collaboration with the Gilead Laboratory, and which have the approval of the Spanish Medicines Agency, are international in scope. In Europe Spain, Germany, Italy and France participate and, specifically in our country, the La Paz-Carlos III, Cruces (Bilbao) and Clinic (Barcelona) hospitals. A drug that has previously been studied for the treatment of other diseases also caused by coronavirus will be investigated.

Meanwhile in the UK , the Health Minister begs companies on twitter to help make ventilators.
  • Options
    They didn't waste their oil revenues, did they?
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,219
    Gabs3 said:

It looks like Russia hacked the website of the US Department of Health and Human Services last night in a manner designed to slow down the response to Coronavirus.

It is jaw dropping how we in the West continue to let Russia do this shit and just tut loudly. We did nothing to put them off killing British citizens after Litvinenko, nothing after the Skripal attacks. And those are just the ones that make the news.

As @Cyclefree asks in this thread's header (third bullet point): Talking of reports, will the Intelligence Committee’s report on Russia ever be published?
  • Options

My attempts to work from home are being stymied by unreliable Wi-fi at the other end.

Yes I did wonder about whether all the firms asking staff to work from home had the network infrastructure for them all to "dial in". I work for one of the biggest tech companies on the planet and they have just asked people not to sit on the VPNs for longer than necessary to access internal systems.
    A pretty pathetic performance really. I'm amazed they didn't already have a WFH framework and infrastructure in place.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

HYUFD said:
    I'd like to see some repentance from the Trumps but not seen any yet.

Most despicable occupant of the Oval Office ever, Lincoln would be turning in his grave to see what has become of his party.
  • Options

Geography can be described as a science degree, as opposed to Classics, so there could be some basic understanding from May.

See straw; clutch!
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    France:

https://twitter.com/afneil/status/1239531743851544576

How the f are others supposed to support the vulnerable if they aren't allowed out of their houses either. One shopping trip but not allowed to take the food to the guy down the road?
  • Options

Gabs3 said:

As @Cyclefree asks in this thread's header (third bullet point): Talking of reports, will the Intelligence Committee’s report on Russia ever be published?
    After Grayling has read and understood it.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,285
    Characteristics of pediatric SARS-CoV-2 infection and potential evidence for persistent fecal viral shedding
    https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0817-4
    We report epidemiological and clinical investigations on ten pediatric SARS-CoV-2 infection cases confirmed by real-time reverse transcription PCR assay of SARS-CoV-2 RNA. Symptoms in these cases were nonspecific and no children required respiratory support or intensive care. Chest X-rays lacked definite signs of pneumonia, a defining feature of the infection in adult cases. Notably, eight children persistently tested positive on rectal swabs even after nasopharyngeal testing was negative, raising the possibility of fecal–oral transmission....
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Grim if their network cannot cope
    Ours is working a treat as always, mind you it is the best Tech company on the planet B)
    The VPN-limiting factor is not bandwidth but the number of VPN concentrators (or termination points) at the company's end.
  • Options
    Tell me we aren't going to start a curfew here in UK? The only thing keeping me sane is a mate or two popping over for a beer or three at my house of an evening.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,141
    edited March 2020

If South Korea, Taiwan, etc. have been able to nip the spread in the bud on this wave, why would they not be able to do the same again? Or at least use the intervening time to expand their ICU provision.

And not just ICU. For instance, China has this whole pipeline set up to avoid you infecting your family (I don't know how widely it's deployed) where they start by taking your temperature, then send you to a dedicated "fever clinic" where you get an escalating set of tests (first see if it's another known flu, then a quickie MRI to check your lungs which comes back really fast, then a test for covid19) and if you're positive you go straight to quarantine, then from there if you need hospital care you get to hospital. Being China this is compulsory and slightly dystopian, but it's not obvious that given 6 months you couldn't build a similar system in a way that people wanted to cooperate with it. (The hotels are all going to be closing down so buy up some nice hot spring resorts and use them for a pleasant quarantine experience that people wouldn't be scared of...)

IDK but I wonder if the British aren't generals fighting the last war, which in their case since they didn't have SARS, is like a flu pandemic after one of the world wars...
  • Options

France:

How the f are others supposed to support the vulnerable if they aren't allowed out of their houses either. One shopping trip but not allowed to take the food to the guy down the road?

Five weeks? There's going to be riots.
  • Options
    Those screaming for a FR-style total lockdown today have no idea what the psychological cost will be on many, many people when it has to be months and months.

• Options
    I think European governments are making a mistake being so draconian. People won't be able to keep it up for more than a couple of weeks, and we haven't reached the peak.
  • Options

Geography can be described as a science degree, as opposed to Classics, so there could be some basic understanding from May.

See straw; clutch!
    Does the PM need a science degree right now, or need to put his faith in his scientific advisors?

I think so far *touch wood* the UK response being led by the CSO and CMO who are speaking directly on camera with the PM is working better than eg the US POTUS claiming now to be a virology expert despite never being involved in the subject or anything related, insisting that the CDC can only talk filtered through his Veep.
  • Options
    Foss said:

France:

Wait until they are told they have to do another five weeks!
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I think European governments are making a mistake being so draconian. People won't be able to keep it up for more than a couple of weeks, and we haven't reached the peak.

That is exactly what the CSO and CMO keep warning isn't it?
  • Options

Foss said:

France:

Wait until they are told they have to do another five weeks!
    We must hope for a cool, somewhat soggy summer.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,285

HYUFD said:
    To me that conjures up a comic vision of chaps with improbable moustaches cobbling together a ventilator using a car battery, jump leads, a starter motor, a fuel pump and a couple of rubber hoses.
    Featuring Stanley Holloway and Alastair Sim...
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Is the French lockdown and curfew intended to stop the virus or the anti-Macron gilets jaunes?
This discussion has been closed.