Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tonight’s PB cartoon from Helen Cochrane

Comments

• Options
    Biden giving a speech calling on Americans to stand together during the crisis. Sanders not expected to speak.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,502
    A comprehensive case against the government’s now abandoned strategy:

https://unherd.com/2020/03/the-scientific-case-against-herd-immunity/
  • Options
    David Axelrod: 'This is over. IT'S OVER'

Alexandra Rojas: 'themovementthemovementthemovement'

Dems have the same problems as Labour, people who can't see the wood for the trees.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,502

David Axelrod: 'This is over. IT'S OVER'

Alexandra Rojas: 'themovementthemovementthemovement'

Dems have the same problems as Labour, people who can't see the wood for the trees.

We’ll see.
    Give Sanders a day or so. He’s been running for the nomination for a good half decade.... Calling it quits, particularly when you’re as stubborn as he seems to be, takes some adjusting to.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,256
    edited March 2020
    isam said:

Chameleon said:

isam said:

Chameleon said:

alterego said:

Chameleon said:

I've heard a rumour that on Thursday London will be put on lockdown.

define London
    I've been looking round google maps, trying to see where/what would be easiest to shut down. If you chose the M25 there'd be the best part of 300 roads to shut.
    Zone 6 isn’t London hopefully!

I live east of the last tube station in the east, get a vote for the mayor and and quarter of a mile inside the M25... hopefully that’s not seem as the same as zones 1 & 2
    I don't know how you'd quarantine inner London, way too many inter-connected roads. The practical approach is to lock it all away.
    We’ll soon see. We don’t have a London postcode or phone number. We have Essex in our address.
    The reason the Italians got pushed quickly into quarantining all of Italy is that it proved impossible to police a lockdown in Lombardy only, with all the roads major and minor and myriad other transport links. London would surely be the same. If I had to try it, I’d use the North/South Circulars as the boundary, which I am sure completely encloses the cluster, close both roads down, cone off the junctions and have police cars driving round and round. Transport would be more of a problem, but the tube network is mostly inside the circulars (where not, lines could be terminated early) and mainline trains would run occasionally and be policed for whatever exceptions are allowed.

If the outbreak happens to be confined to the very centre of London, you could try the same with the inner ring road. But my guess is that it goes wider.

Meanwhile a report from someone in Maryland, people are apparently “scrabbling to buy bread and bog roll as if the world is about to end”. So any complacency about the virus there is evaporating fast.

I am closing my new sell positions on the Dow from yesterday, which is again meeting resistance at 20000. I sense markets are paused, with all the government money (or promise of such) swilling around. We may be at a temporary bottom, which will break downwards if London or New York heads the Italian way, or upward if there is vaccine or cure news.
  • Options
    fox327 said:

Let's suppose that a vaccine hasn't been found in year from now, but the virus is suppressed by prohibiting all gatherings of people. How happy will people be in a year's time? They won't have much sport to watch, as it takes 22 players to hold a football match behind closed doors. What about films? It takes hundreds of people to make a big budget film, so if one person has the virus they all have to be isolated. Making these films will not be possible. What about television? Question Time in front of a live audience has been cancelled. Game shows and quizzes will be out, as no live audience. TV drama requires sets, actors, production staff etc so filming will not be possible as there will be no vaccine.

People will have nothing to do and very little to watch except the four walls of their room, if they are not homeless, but they will get treated if they get the virus. If they are not happy who will they blame? The virus is a natural event. We had similar viruses in 1969 and 1919 but we managed to cope although many people died. Given a choice between getting sick with the virus and avoiding the virus it could be said: "Which ever you please. You pays your money and you takes your choice".

I think you are right that the point would come where young people would decide a week in bed with a temperature is a better price than a year stuck indoors
  • Options
    alterego said:

rcs1000 said:

Chameleon said:

isam said:

Chameleon said:

alterego said:

Chameleon said:

define London
    I've been looking round google maps, trying to see where/what would be easiest to shut down. If you chose the M25 there'd be the best part of 300 roads to shut.

I live east of the last tube station in the east, get a vote for the mayor and and quarter of a mile inside the M25... hopefully that’s not seem as the same as zones 1 & 2
    I don't know how you'd quarantine inner London, way too many inter-connected roads. The practical approach is to lock it all away.
    Why not simply nuke it from orbit?
    Why from orbit?
    Unsocial distancing?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,477
    isam said:

Chameleon said:

alterego said:

Chameleon said:

define London

I live east of the last tube station in the east, get a vote for the mayor and a quarter of a mile inside the M25... hopefully that’s not seen as the same as zones 1 & 2
    Hopefully we can rely on Londons not to be complete idiots and not try to circumvent measures to save tens of thousands of lives.

Though that may be a bit of an ask.

I would say the main thing is to completely and entirely close down the public transport. Let them use cars, pushbikes or ubers.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Or mainly work from home.

Looking at the numbers, on the Govt list 13 of the top 'counties' by cases are London Boroughs. And there are perhaps 7-10x more real cases out there.

Yet the Tube is only down by is it 20%?

I had one travel all the way up to Nottingham on a train with a cough last weekend without seemingly even thinking about it.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

The reason the Italians got pushed quickly into quarantining all of Italy is that it proved impossible to police a lockdown in Lombardy only, with all the roads major and minor and myriad other transport links. London would surely be the same. If I had to try it, I’d use the North/South Circulars as the boundary, which I am sure completely encloses the cluster, close both roads down, cone off the junctions and have police cars driving round and round. Transport would be more of a problem, but the tube network is mostly inside the circulars (where not, lines could be terminated early) and mainline trains would run occasionally and be policed for whatever exceptions are allowed.

If the outbreak happens to be confined to the very centre of London, you could try the same with the inner ring road. But my guess is that it goes wider.

Meanwhile a report from someone in Maryland, people are apparently “scrabbling to buy bread and bog roll as if the world is about to end”. So any complacency about the virus there is evaporating fast.

I am closing my new sell positions on the Dow from yesterday, which is again meeting resistance at 20000. I sense markets are paused, with all the government money (or promise of such) swilling around. We may be at a temporary bottom, which will break downwards if London or New York heads the Italian way, or upward if there is vaccine or cure news.

These are the top 20 or so areas on the confirmed cases list for the UK. Multiply by 20 or so for a guestimate of real cases:

Hampshire: 69
    Southwark: 58
    Westminster: 58
    Kensington and Chelsea: 49
    Lambeth: 43
    Hertfordshire: 36
    Surrey: 30
    Oxfordshire: 25
    Barnet: 24
    Brent: 24
    Devon: 24
    Bromley: 23
    Hammersmith and Fulham: 23
    Tower Hamlets: 23
    Buckinghamshire: 23
    Hackney and City of London: 22
    Cumbria: 22
    Ealing: 21
    Wandsworth: 21
    Essex: 21
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    IanB2 said:

fox327 said:

Let's suppose that a vaccine hasn't been found in year from now, but the virus is suppressed by prohibiting all gatherings of people. How happy will people be in a year's time? They won't have much sport to watch, as it takes 22 players to hold a football match behind closed doors. What about films? It takes hundreds of people to make a big budget film, so if one person has the virus they all have to be isolated. Making these films will not be possible. What about television? Question Time in front of a live audience has been cancelled. Game shows and quizzes will be out, as no live audience. TV drama requires sets, actors, production staff etc so filming will not be possible as there will be no vaccine.

People will have nothing to do and very little to watch except the four walls of their room, if they are not homeless, but they will get treated if they get the virus. If they are not happy who will they blame? The virus is a natural event. We had similar viruses in 1969 and 1919 but we managed to cope although many people died. Given a choice between getting sick with the virus and avoiding the virus it could be said: "Which ever you please. You pays your money and you takes your choice".

I think you are right that the point would come where young people would decide a week in bed with a temperature is a better price than a year stuck indoors
    Morning all.

Something I don't understand about this. If you have had the virus and IF it's the case that you can't become re-infected, then surely you can go about normal life? Will we have a country divided between those who've survived it and those who've yet to get it?
  • Options
    fox327 said:

Good time to be reading books and walking?

Also a good time to be writing books!
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    rcs1000 said:

Chameleon said:

I have heard a rumour that Ringo was a really good drummer....
    "Ringo, not the best drummer in the world... Not the best drummer in the Beatles."
    Contrary to myth, that wasn’t John Lennon but Jasper Carrott.

Ringo Starr was a very capable drummer. He understood that percussion served the song.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052

IanB2 said:

fox327 said:

Morning all.

Something I don't understand about this. If you have had the virus and IF it's the case that you can't become re-infected, then surely you can go about normal life? Will we have a country divided between those who've survived it and those who've yet to get it?
    Maybe we’ll end up with a special mark in people’s passports to show they have the antibodies and can travel freely.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,324
    alterego said:

Andy_JS said:
    We know Boris's dad is stupid so what ............
    Yeah but on the other hand Boris's dad's son, in a mirror image of his cake policy, is against going to pubs but also against pubs closing. Ditto theatres.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

fox327 said:

Morning all.

Maybe we’ll end up with a special mark in people’s passports to show they have the antibodies and can travel freely.
    The view seems to be forming that immunity may only last a year or two. Not that we know for sure.
  • Options
    MattW said:

IanB2 said:

These are the top 20 or so areas on the confirmed cases list for the UK. Multiply by 20 or so for a guestimate of real cases:

Well over 300 (=6000) inside the London ‘Circulars, there
  • Options
    And an update on the markets, and an illustration of the perils of waking up in the night and making betting decisions, shortly after 5 am the Dow futures took a plunge for some reason, and the limit down has been triggered again and trading suspended.

Anything in the overnight news?

Maybe the 20000 bottom won’t last as long as I had been thinking.
  • Options
    MattW said:

isam said:

Chameleon said:

alterego said:

Chameleon said:

define London

I live east of the last tube station in the east, get a vote for the mayor and a quarter of a mile inside the M25... hopefully that’s not seen as the same as zones 1 & 2
    Hopefully we can rely on Londons not to be complete idiots and not try to circumvent measures to save tens of thousands of lives.

Though that may be a bit of an ask.

I would say the main thing is to completely and entirely close down the public transport. Let them use cars, pushbikes or ubers.
    I have a friend with a second home down these parts and know she is planning to leave London at the weekend. Pretty sure she’d be out sooner if a lockdown looks imminent.

I think in this crisis we may be seeing peak London.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,304
    MattW said:

IanB2 said:

I'm in Hampshire, which is slightly concerning.

Imagining there are actually 500-700 cases here now.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,922
    Trump gets 44% of the vote whatever he does, we know that. The Democrat will get more, we know that too. But the presidential election will only really take place in about 10 key states. And the likelihood is that voter suppression + the culture wars means Trump will win the ones he needs and be re-elected. The US will continue to fragment, weaken and isolate. The task for the world is to find a way of bypassing it as much as possible.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

And an update on the markets, and an illustration of the perils of waking up in the night and making betting decisions, shortly after 5 am the Dow futures took a plunge for some reason, and the limit down has been triggered again and trading suspended.

Bernie is still inexplicably below 100.

Wouldn't surprise me if even he's considering withdrawing now.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Markets are beginning to get their heads round how long it will be before vaccines and treatments appear, and therefore how long the crisis is going to last. A year, at least. Everything is going to change fundamentally. There will be no return to how things used to be. How do you price that? You can’t. Things are going to be all over the place for the forseeable future.

• Options
    fox327 said:

The Great 2020 Breakdown of British society

Chapter 1: The cancellation of Question Time.
  • Options

MattW said:

IanB2 said:

One of the early cases was someone working at Southampton Hospital, which could easily have started a cluster going. Plus there’s the one in Basingstoke whose origin I don’t know.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Markets are beginning to get their heads round how long it will be before vaccines and treatments appear, and therefore how long the crisis is going to last. A year, at least. Everything is going to change fundamentally. There will be no return to how things used to be. How do you price that? You can’t. Things are going to be all over the place for the forseeable future.

I don't think things will change "fundamentally", that's an overreaction. We're certainly living through unprecedented times but one can easily overegg it.

Remember the wise words of Field Marshall Slim: nothing is as good or as bad as it first appears.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

fox327 said:

Well, yes.

People aren't going to accept permanent lockdown and economic ruin.

The Government know this which is why they were trying to delay this phase as much as possible.
  • Options
    What I think will change after this outbreak (just as the financial system did after the financial crisis) is how businesses are both funded and insured and how the assumptions around how healthcare critical care are revised.

If there are long term economic consequences it could come from global agreement or regulation on interactions between humans and mammals for virus transmission, or nations may refuse to do trade deals with China unless they seriously restrict it.

It's possible that rules on aviation and shipping change too for future pandemic containment (although that'd still only delay rather than stop it - the black death spread globally in the 14th century just by sailing ship and people walking with horses).
  • Options

IanB2 said:

I don't think things will change "fundamentally", that's an overreaction. We're certainly living through unprecedented times but one can easily overegg it.

Remember the wise words of Field Marshall Slim: nothing is as good or as bad as it first appears.
    We’ll see. I am not saying it will be better or worse. I am saying it will be very different. Governments will end up spending huge amounts dealing with this crisis and its aftermath. Far more than has already been announced. In and of itself that is going to have profound long-term consequences.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100

MattW said:

IanB2 said:

With maybe 450-630 showing no real symptoms.
  • Options

What I think will change after this outbreak (just as the financial system did after the financial crisis) is how businesses are both funded and insured and how the assumptions around how healthcare critical care are revised.

If there are long term economic consequences it could come from global agreement or regulation on interactions between humans and mammals for virus transmission, or nations may refuse to do trade deals with China unless they seriously restrict it.

It's possible that rules on aviation and shipping change too for future pandemic containment (although that'd still only delay rather than stop it - the black death spread globally in the 14th century just by sailing ship and people walking with horses).

Taxes will be going up. Healthcare will become an even greater priority. My guess is that corporations and individuals are going to find it a lot harder to hide their money away.

• Options

IanB2 said:

fox327 said:

Morning all.

With a societal resentment building against those who can go out, party, take holidays, generally not have to give a shit.

There's a novel in that.....
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,149
    edited March 2020
    Japanese Olympic committee deputy head tested positive. I think there's a "what are the chances" argument that even if they do a lot of international travel, if there are only the 50 cases per day that are being found yet it's showing up among bigwigs there probably is a monster testing fail.
  • Options
    LucyJonesLucyJones Posts: 651

fox327 said:

Every cloud has a silver lining.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

MattW said:

IanB2 said:

One of the early cases was someone working at Southampton Hospital, which could easily have started a cluster going. Plus there’s the one in Basingstoke whose origin I don’t know.
    Thanks.
  • Options

Taxes will be going up. Healthcare will become an even greater priority. My guess is that corporations and individuals are going to find it a lot harder to hide their money away.

Probably, because debt, but I've already seen a lot of confirmation bias on all sides as to why this crisis will be good for their politics.

I last saw it in 2008-2009 as well.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,972
    edited March 2020
    Good morning everyone. Trust our associated invalids are improving,

The gym to which I belong, and clearly cannot attend has, apparently, negotiated a deal with a firm which has a series of exercises which can be done at home and show one how to do them on line.
    In other moves forward a Creative Writing Group of which I'm aware has set up a What'sApp group and is sharing and commenting on it's work that way.

And a nearby off-licence will deliver, as will, now, two good quality local eateries.

It's not all negative.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    PB financial types, searching for some advice. Our fixed rate mortgage is due to expire in 6 months, and in 3 months we'll be able to switch to a new deal without early repayment penalties.

Previously we were obviously going to wait the 3 months, but now I wonder whether it is better to re-fix now and take the £2k hit. I'm worried there will be a house price crash very soon which will take the cheap deals off the table.

Any thoughts?
  • Options

IanB2 said:

We’ll see. I am not saying it will be better or worse. I am saying it will be very different. Governments will end up spending huge amounts dealing with this crisis and its aftermath. Far more than has already been announced. In and of itself that is going to have profound long-term consequences.

Agree with that bit.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Good morning, everyone.

Mildly amused. The Chancellor's said he's going to set aside a third of a trillion pounds in loans and grants, and the BBC's main headline is that there's not enough being done for renters.

That's a legitimate point. I don't think it's the heart of a story about £350bn allocated a week or so after a Budget to try and maintain the economy during a pandemic.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Agree with that bit.
    We are likely to be in worse position financially than we were in 2010 by the time this is all over. And another decade of austerity will be politically impossible
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,590
    It looks like Prof Ferguson is part of the herd now
    https://twitter.com/neil_ferguson/status/1240171876695117824?s=19
  • Options

Probably, because debt, but I've already seen a lot of confirmation bias on all sides as to why this crisis will be good for their politics.

We’ll see. What we do know is that taxes will be going up at the end of all this. When that happens voters will demand they go up for everyone.

• Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,149

And a nearby off-licence will deliver, as will, now, two good quality local eateries.

Which ones? (You're in Witham, right? I think my parents are good for wine but I'm worried they might run out of gin.)
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,441
    Is Bernie Sanders ever going to quit? He’s giving Corbyn a run for his money.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Some interesting protocols from China, up to lung transplantation!
    There is no way we are ready for this. We are seriously screwed by the lack of PPE.
    Off to work though, needs must.
    https://twitter.com/JackMa/status/1240105195318554625?s=19
  • Options
    edited March 2020

We’ll see. What we do know is that taxes will be going up at the end of all this. When that happens voters will demand they go up for everyone.

I think we will see a swing left in terms of economics - but then that is already well underway. We will also see greater emphasis on healthcare and social protection generally, which also plays to the left. However I’d also expect other changes in social attitudes that most would see as conservative, in particular further moved away from globalised free trading economic liberalism, and away from individual social liberalism.

Just a guess. The latter in particular is arguable; the Black Death made people more liberal, against the standards of the times, because it loosened social structures and underlined the capriciousness of life.

Edit/ Also, as 2008 showed us, it is no good just diagnosing the problem; in politics you have to have a coherent answer.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

There is no way we are ready for this. We are seriously screwed by the lack of PPE.

Best off. Support staff all in place?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

We're in this together because the Chinese eat bat soup and pangolin burgers, Jack. So, good of you to share and all that - but we think that might just be the decent thing to do, all things considered.....
  • Options

Is Bernie Sanders ever going to quit? He’s giving Corbyn a run for his money.

Maybe they have a dollar bet on who goes first....?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Oh yes, E45 contains lanolin. So be careful of allergy. However I find it better than Norwegian formula (which itself is pretty good)
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,339
    LucyJones said:

fox327 said:

Every cloud has a silver lining.
    Isnt there a follow up programme with the woman from Antiques Roadshow. I hope that gets cancelled too.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Agree with that bit.
    We are likely to be in worse position financially than we were in 2010 by the time this is all over. And another decade of austerity will be politically impossible
    Depressing, isn't it?

All that hard work. For nothing.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    IanB2 said:

fox327 said:

I made this point yesterday, and I was told it was "satire". FWIW, I think young people will put up for a few weeks of this, but not much more. Why should they put their life on hold for so long?

----

On a more positive note, in August 1665, the University of Cambridge closed because plague ravaged the town.

A twenty-three year old man withdrew to Woolsthorpe Manor, self-isolating for two years against the terrible plague.

He had been an undistinguished student in Cambridge.

He developed theories on optics, gravitation, mechanics and the calculus. It was to mark the end of medievalism in the sciences, the beginning of the modern era.
  • Options
    I see Bernie did have his one Champaign moment in Illinois...

https://edition.cnn.com/election/2020/state/illinois
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Have the government stated how many lives they hope to save from the action they have taken?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Oh yes, E45 contains lanolin. So be careful of allergy. However I find it better than Norwegian formula (which itself is pretty good)

E45 is utterly useless.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

Foxy said:

We're in this together because the Chinese eat bat soup and pangolin burgers, Jack. So, good of you to share and all that - but we think that might just be the decent thing to do, all things considered.....
    If there is evidence that Winnie-the-Pooh deliberately suppressed or ignored medical data in the early days of this infection (as seems to be alleged from some disappeared Chinese doctors), then a charge of crimes against humanity seems to be justifiable.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    My GP's surgery is only offering telephone appointments.
  • Options
    CBI on R4 proposing negative employers’ NI. Apparently the Germans are already introducing something similar.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Dropping like flies with self isolation. We need testing of health care workers or it is going to be like the Mary Celeste.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,708

Good morning, everyone.

Mildly amused. The Chancellor's said he's going to set aside a third of a trillion pounds in loans and grants, and the BBC's main headline is that there's not enough being done for renters.

That's a legitimate point. I don't think it's the heart of a story about £350bn allocated a week or so after a Budget to try and maintain the economy during a pandemic.

The package will need to be closer to £350bn grants rather than the £350bn loan guarantees for 1 year. Short term loan guarantees dont really make much difference for a lot of businesses if you have no income for 4 months.
  • Options
    In terms of stocks and shares, I continue to believe we will not bottom out from this for at least 6 months. There are so many huge knock-ons. And I'm afraid the Dow and Nasdaq are having collective delayed reaction. The bear market has a long was still to slide.

I continue to predict the FTSE100 will reach its floor at or below 2000.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Agree with that bit.
    Depressing, isn't it?

All that hard work. For nothing.
    Just imagine if this had hit 10 years ago.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914
    Anecdotal - Looking back my (single) experience of the Chinese healthcare system wasn't at all bad
  • Options

Alistair said:

E45 is utterly useless.
    Amidst a few other slight distractions, 2020 became known for one thing: the Great pb.com Hand Cream Spat.

Count me amongst the ranks of the Norwegian Formulists.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Alistair said:

E45 is utterly useless.
    Everyone is different. I have persistebtly dry skin over the winter, so much so that my hands crack so badly they start bleeding at their worst.

E45 has by far the best and most long lasting effect for me and I've tried a fuck ton of different creams.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Dropping like flies with self isolation. We need testing of health care workers or it is going to be like the Mary Celeste.
    Seems daft not to. Although, have we the tests?
    Gather the General Pharmaceutical Council is talking about re-registering anyone who's left in the past 3 years, if they wish to return.
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    Jonathan said:

Have the government stated how many lives they hope to save from the action they have taken?

Imperial college suggested 200k delta between do nothing and lockdown.
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    One outcome of this could be a boycott China movement - until they pay reparations.
  • Options

Our surgery has notices up on the windows and a girl sitting at a desk , asking if you have a cough. She looked nervous... and I don't blame her.
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

Jonathan said:

Imperial college suggested 200k delta between do nothing and lockdown.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

CBI on R4 proposing negative employers’ NI. Apparently the Germans are already introducing something similar.

Some logic to that but just make it simpler, and do helicopter money. Then it deals with everyone from gig economy, to those on benefits to elderly all in one go. Quick, clear and decisive. That is what this takes.
  • Options
    Has anyone mentioned quantitative easing?
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

One outcome of this could be a boycott China movement - until they pay reparations.

You can be a complete dick sometimes
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

I think we will see a swing left in terms of economics - but then that is already well underway. We will also see greater emphasis on healthcare and social protection generally, which also plays to the left. However I’d also expect other changes in social attitudes that most would see as conservative, in particular further moved away from globalised free trading economic liberalism, and away from individual social liberalism.

Just a guess. The latter in particular is arguable; the Black Death made people more liberal, against the standards of the times, because it loosened social structures and underlined the capriciousness of life.

Edit/ Also, as 2008 showed us, it is no good just diagnosing the problem; in politics you have to have a coherent answer.
    I doubt we’ll have to worry about immigration for a while.

• Options

Our surgery has notices up on the windows and a girl sitting at a desk , asking if you have a cough. She looked nervous... and I don't blame her.
    Can't book appointments online for the moment. Phone and triage. Can request prescriptions on-line though.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

If there is any group of workers that needs to get this thing early on - and to then be tested with two negatives - it is those in the NHS.

Hopefully 95%+ of them would then be fit enough to endure what comes after.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,168
    IanB2 said:

I would emphasise your edit. The one thing I'm sure of is that things will change, but I don't think it's possible to predict what that change will be. It will depend on which individual or group develops the best story about what went wrong, what went right and how to have more of the latter than the former.
    "Best" here doesn't mean the most accurate, but some combination of convincing, simple and inspiring, possibly in a different order of importance.
    Anything could happen.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

I doubt we’ll have to worry about immigration for a while.

Will there still be money for Trident replacements and third runways?
  • Options

PB financial types, searching for some advice. Our fixed rate mortgage is due to expire in 6 months, and in 3 months we'll be able to switch to a new deal without early repayment penalties.

Previously we were obviously going to wait the 3 months, but now I wonder whether it is better to re-fix now and take the £2k hit. I'm worried there will be a house price crash very soon which will take the cheap deals off the table.

Any thoughts?

I think there will be a house price slump but am not sure why you think that would follow through to not being able to get a cheap mortgage? Money is getting cheaper and if the housing market is falling that adds to the pressure to keep it so. We do live in unpredictable times, and in your position I’d have the new loan lined up and ready to go as soon as your penalty period ends (there is some risk of an inflationary spike throwing a spanner into economic assumptions, so why wait and take the chance). But I wouldn’t pay £2k to go now. We might even have negative interest rates in a few months time!

Not advice, DYOR etc.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,078
    TGOHF666 said:

What a ridiculously stupid thing to say.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914
    Sounds like it is rife around London, how often are tube carriages being disinfected down there ?
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Some logic to that but just make it simpler, and do helicopter money. Then it deals with everyone from gig economy, to those on benefits to elderly all in one go. Quick, clear and decisive. That is what this takes.
    How do you deliver this "helicopter money" during an infectious disease?

Do we all have to form a line? Wait for our bundle of cash to come out the slot in the side of an armoured car?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,078
    On mortgages, I’m porting ours to a tracker today. I really hope there’s not a significant house-price crash in the long term in the North East.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,850
    Jonathan said:

Aren't they saying they hope to keep deaths below 20,000 about 6 times more than China who have a much larger population
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    IanB2 said:

Danes have said for some industries they will pay 75% of workers' wages, provided the employer pays 25%.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,190
    I have not yet had a chance to review yesterday’s proposals in detail.

But isn’t the big problem this: the government is requiring people to reduce their demand for anything other than essential items. That means a vastly reduced income for those providing such goods/services while their bills stay the same. Loans don’t help as there is no income out of which they can be repaid. Indeed increasing indebtedness at such a time is probably the worst thing you can do.

So the only ways are:-

1. Give money to those facing the drop in income. Make this conditional on keeping staff on.
    2. Reduce costs eg rent holidays (and compensate those affected) / defer tax payments / no employers NI.
    3. Lift the restrictions depressing demand as soon as it is possible - consistent with protecting health - to do so.
    4. Businesses seeking other ways to get income consistent with the health restrictions eg takeaways for restaurants.

Have I missed anything?

And if the above is right, how do the proposals yesterday and those to come measure up?

I would really like to feel hopeful.
  • Options

Alistair said:

E45 is utterly useless.
    Amidst a few other slight distractions, 2020 became known for one thing: the Great pb.com Hand Cream Spat.

I have found E45 good. Any hand cream really. Olive oil is good, in extremis.

Best thing is to put on at night and put cotton gloves on. Same with feet + cotton socks.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Cyclefree said:

But isn’t the big problem this: the government is requiring people to reduce their demand for anything other than essential items. That means a vastly reduced income for those providing such goods/services while their bills stay the same. Loans don’t help as there is no income out of which they can be repaid. Indeed increasing indebtedness at such a time is probably the worst thing you can do.

1. Give money to those facing the drop in income. Make this conditional on keeping staff on.
    2. Reduce costs eg rent holidays (and compensate those affected) / defer tax payments / no employers NI.
    3. Lift the restrictions depressing demand as soon as it is possible - consistent with protecting health - to do so.
    4. Businesses seeking other ways to get income consistent with the health restrictions eg takeaways for restaurants.

Have I missed anything?

And if the above is right, how do the proposals yesterday and those to come measure up?

For all these reasons, it’s going to be a deferred gift. It just won’t be called that yet.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

The package will need to be closer to £350bn grants rather than the £350bn loan guarantees for 1 year. Short term loan guarantees dont really make much difference for a lot of businesses if you have no income for 4 months.
    The 2020 budget must rank as the worst ever in terms of long term financial planning.
  • Options
    Albert Hall closed until 30 April.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Have I missed anything?

For all these reasons, it’s going to be a deferred gift. It just won’t be called that yet.
    It needs to be called that now before people start being laid off. There really is no time to waste.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Alistair said:

E45 is utterly useless.

Best thing is to put on at night and put cotton gloves on. Same with feet + cotton socks.
    Bless your cotton socks.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Aren't they saying they hope to keep deaths below 20,000 about 6 times more than China who have a much larger population
    If the government is spending £350,000,000,000 to save 200,000 lives thats £1.75M each. That is quite striking.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

How do you deliver this "helicopter money" during an infectious disease?

Do we all have to form a line? Wait for our bundle of cash to come out the slot in the side of an armoured car?
    20 million get some form of benefits and 12 million do self assessment so presumably the govt can pay the majority direct to their bank account without any additional registration?

For the rest first thought would be similar verification process to opening an online bank account, verify against NI number, electoral roll, council tax and option to submit bank details or collect at post office?
  • Options
    Waitrose order coming today: STILL no toilet paper.

Just as well I went down the Co-op yesterday.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

If the government is spending £350,000,000,000 to save 200,000 lives thats £1.75M each. That is quite striking.
    thwey are not spending it all are they? most of it is loans and guarantees
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Alistair said:

E45 is utterly useless.

Bless your cotton socks.
    :smile:

Best wishes to you and Mrs BJO. Stay safe.
This discussion has been closed.