Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Starmer needs a net gain of 124 seats at the next GE to win a

Comments

• Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,150
    edited April 2020
    Alistair said:

Life in American, important thing in this tweet is the screen shots of other tweets
    https://twitter.com/GretchenKoch/status/1246830890719772674?s=19

What the USA needs is a good old Soviet-era Sociaist like Jeremy Corbyn. I believe he is free at the moment.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,204
    Is Facebook down?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    Alistair said:
    Looks for that XKCD cartoon...
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960
    Quick Italy CV-19 update.

I've decided that the key metric is a moving average of the week-over-week change.

Why?

Because there are not uniform numbers of tests done on each day. The weekends tend to have fewer tests (which is reflected in the Sunday and Monday numbers). Plus, there's a ton of variability on a day-to-day basis.

For Italy as a whole, this shows new cases are currently tracking at down 20% week-over-week.

For Lombardy, which was the epicenter of the outbreak and which has tended to lead Italy by four or five days, the number is 28% down.

We can probably expect that the number of active cases will start to decline by next Sunday.

However, although the worst is clearly now behind in Italy (especially as the numbers we're seeing now are for people infected 10-14 days ago), predicting when lockdowns will be eased is a harder call. I would think that realistically four more weeks of these drops (combined with the fact that reported numbers are effectively two weeks in arrears) will probably be the point at which we start to see some easing.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    rcs1000 said:

On a positive note notice how we've stopped talking about what's in the shops.

The supermarkets seem to have everything available if sometimes not in a full range or in the same quantities.

I'm impressed with their performance.

They're getting back on balance after having to adjust to all the extra demand - not just the hoarding wave, but all the extra food people need to cover the cessation of supply from school and work canteens, and virtually the entire restaurant trade.

So yes, there are still hiccups and certain goods are in intermittently short supply - and I would also keep an eye on the weather, because having to wait in a queue outside of a supermarket for half-an-hour to be let in, as I did yesterday, is going to become a much more serious problem if and when we have to endure a prolonged period of rain. But things are a lot better than they were; even the bog roll aisle was more or less full in Tesco yesterday.

The main potential cloud on the horizon now is further disruption if a lot of British farmers find themselves short of labour to bring in the fruit and veg harvest.
    In Los Angeles, the stores are full, except for toilet paper.
    What IS IT with people and loo roll? We're only two in this house, but it takes a month to get through a packet of nine.

And we always have 9 in the cupboard, at least....
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/CharlotteCGill/status/1246817404715503617

Me and my pub mates have been discussing this for weeks, latterly on Zoom.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,603

The supermarkets seem to have everything available if sometimes not in a full range or in the same quantities.

The efficiency of the free market isn't getting much of a shout out in this crisis, but it should.

It's performed spectacularly well.
    Like in the US, where each state is in a bidding war against the other 49 for essential PPE and ventilators.

Think again, Comrade.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105
    rcs1000 said:

Quick Italy CV-19 update.

I've decided that the key metric is a moving average of the week-over-week change.

Why?

Because there are not uniform numbers of tests done on each day. The weekends tend to have fewer tests (which is reflected in the Sunday and Monday numbers). Plus, there's a ton of variability on a day-to-day basis.

For Italy as a whole, this shows new cases are currently tracking at down 20% week-over-week.

For Lombardy, which was the epicenter of the outbreak and which has tended to lead Italy by four or five days, the number is 28% down.

We can probably expect that the number of active cases will start to decline by next Sunday.

However, although the worst is clearly now behind in Italy (especially as the numbers we're seeing now are for people infected 10-14 days ago), predicting when lockdowns will be eased is a harder call. I would think that realistically four more weeks of these drops (combined with the fact that reported numbers are effectively two weeks in arrears) will probably be the point at which we start to see some easing.

What does that metric tell you about the UK?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960
    Alistair said:
    Personally, I think CV-19 increases the chance of President Trump being re-elected. With any national emergency, there is a desire to rally around the leadership, and we're seeing that now.

Plus:

- there is a monumental splurge from the government
    - there are a lot of Americans who agree with President Trump's concerns about the cure being worse than the disease

I would now reckon he's a 60-70% chance of re-election right now.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725

Alistair said:

Life in American, important thing in this tweet is the screen shots of other tweets

What the USA needs is a good old Soviet-era Sociaist like Jeremy Corbyn. I believe he is free at the moment.
    Welcome to him.
  • Options

The efficiency of the free market isn't getting much of a shout out in this crisis, but it should.

It's performed spectacularly well.
    I thought there had been some difficulties regarding the enforcement of contracts that involved goods such as masks crossing borders.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,942

If they introduced immunity certificates I would attempt to go out and catch it right away. I suspect I wouldn't be the only one.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:
    Personally, I think CV-19 increases the chance of President Trump being re-elected. With any national emergency, there is a desire to rally around the leadership, and we're seeing that now.

Plus:

- there are a lot of Americans who agree with President Trump's concerns about the cure being worse than the disease

A depressing thought, especially as your assessment before 10pm on December 12th that Johnson was due a circa 80 seat majority has been duly noted.
  • Options
    Look North reported dickheads still driving up from Leeds to visit the Dales.
  • Options
    MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755
    Alistair said:
    I don't think there's an incumbency bonus in the US when it's not the incumbent President running. Woodrow Wilson stood aside, having won two terms, and Cox ran and lost for the Dems in 1920.

Incumbency is very strong for first-term presidents who won from opposition. Only exception in 20thC-21stC being Carter, who was stoppable.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,850

Are they under cover Dickheads following the Scottish CMO
  • Options

Chris said:

ABZ said:

'Only' 525 fatalities in Italy today - lowest since March 19th (about 10 days into their lockdown). Still quite a lot of new cases reported (4300), but I wonder if they are picking up milder cases. But still good news overall.

4300 cases 27 days into lockdown. Does this show that lockdowns work with this virus ?
    Yes, of course the Italian numbers show that lockdowns can work.
    There is the same number of new infections today as there were 9 days ago.I really thought that 27 days into the lockdown the numbers would be much lower. Maybe this virus just runs its course and lockdowns make no difference
    A higher rate in Lombardy at the start now matched by a lower rate throughout Italy?
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

What ought to happen: issue the dickheads with eye-watering fines, confiscate the cars and crush them

What will probably happen instead: cage everyone, innocent as well as guilty, because it's bureaucratically simpler
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

If they introduced immunity certificates I would attempt to go out and catch it right away. I suspect I wouldn't be the only one.
    Yep. Talk about not thinking this through. We actually had a brief discussion the other day about Mumps parties in the 1970s (showing our age).
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    ydoethur said:

OllyT said:

As expected, Angela Rayner will also be party chair (Lavery's current role)

Right... that isn't exactly a vote of confidence in his new deputy. She isn't the greatest media performer (as today has already shown). She might grow into it. But this looks like a place to keep her out of actual policy development.
    That's silly - if she hadn't been, you'd say it was a snub. She's just been elected by a large margin of the membership, so seems a sensible choice as party chair.
    Oxfordsimon is going to try put a negative spin on whoever Starmer appoints. It's totally predictable and therefore of very limited value.
    Always nice to being on the receiving end of an ad hominem attack.
    But my point still stands - whether or not you agree with it (or anything else I say) - Rayner should have been in line for a more substantial role given the mandate she received. Party Chair is something that Harriet Harman had as Deputy Leader - and she also had government/shadow cabinet roles at the same time.

This looks like a snub to me.
    The alternative might be that Starmer believes the role of Party Chair to be crucial in overhauling the party machinery and policy offering without causing splits. Achieving that will be fundamental to the thing he has identified as his main priority - winning the next election. So maybe he wants to leave her, as the person best places to do it, free to concentrate on that.

Not saying that *is* the case, just that it’s another interpretation that fits the facts we have.
    I can see what you are saying but it just feels like somewhat of a disappointing outcome for her
    I have never rated her but she did win and could have expected a more substantial job. There is work to be done in undoing the Momentum takeover of party structures but I don't think she is the heavyweight necessary to achieve that.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917
    edited April 2020
    Till we've got a vaccine, unless it's been pretty much completely stamped out various aspects of life ain't returning to how they were even in the absence of any sort of official control.
    I sure as hell am not going to the cinema till I've either got through it , am vaccinated or it's disappeared.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

Alistair said:

Don’t they have their own version?
  • Options
    ukpaulukpaul Posts: 649

An important question is how any exit needs to satisfy two totally disparate groups. On the one hand, those who want to have the freedom to get out of it and, on the other, those who want the safety of maintaining it. I can’t see how there can be a never ending lockdown, yet I also can’t see how there could also be a complete abandonment of it.
  • Options
    ABZABZ Posts: 441
    Does this report (https://www.icnarc.org/About/Latest-News/2020/04/04/Report-On-2249-Patients-Critically-Ill-With-Covid-19) suggest that as of yesterday there were ~1600 people in ICUs in the UK (ex Scotland)? Or am I misreading this?
  • Options
    Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836
    rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

Plus:

I would say he is no more than 30-40% chance. The rally round effect has already been seen and he is still 2-5 points behind Biden. On top of that, Biden is stronger among blue collar whites than Clinton, so the electoral college advantage will be smaller for Trump. Plus people will be very angry in six months time and people tend to blame the President regardless of fault. And this time he is clearly at fault.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391

OllyT said:

Right... that isn't exactly a vote of confidence in his new deputy. She isn't the greatest media performer (as today has already shown). She might grow into it. But this looks like a place to keep her out of actual policy development.
    That's silly - if she hadn't been, you'd say it was a snub. She's just been elected by a large margin of the membership, so seems a sensible choice as party chair.
    Oxfordsimon is going to try put a negative spin on whoever Starmer appoints. It's totally predictable and therefore of very limited value.

But my point still stands - whether or not you agree with it (or anything else I say) - Rayner should have been in line for a more substantial role given the mandate she received. Party Chair is something that Harriet Harman had as Deputy Leader - and she also had government/shadow cabinet roles at the same time.

Rayner was stupid to run for a non-job and has no-one to blame but herself for taking herself out of the game.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

Plus:

A depressing thought, especially as your assessment before 10pm on December 12th that Johnson was due a circa 80 seat majority has been duly noted.
    "I think CV-19 increases the chance of President Trump"

I agree, but will "increasing" chances be enough? He won last time by the skin of his teeth thanks to Rust Belt.
  • Options
    BTW, work on my bug hotel was cut short today when I ran out of nails. I think it looks nice and rustic. Wor Lass is a bit more sceptical.

In other news, one of our neighbours has secured a delivery slot from Morrisons and kindly asked if we wanted to add anything to the order.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Alistair said:

Don’t they have their own version?
    Bernie is no Jezziah!
  • Options
    Meanwhile, in Sweden...

‘People wave and cheer when I cycle to work. Never has an epidemiologist been this famous.’

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8188049/Scientist-leading-Swedens-battle-against-coronavirus-says-Britains-lockdown-gone-far.html
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    End of my tweet dump for the day. You heard of the logarithmic scale, you haven't heard about the liegarithmic scale
    https://twitter.com/Carnage4Life/status/1246579721585868800?s=19
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651

Re fake news and 5G, interesting to remember that "Dr" Naomi Wolf was an adviser to Bill Clinton (and later to Al Gore). Anyone care to comment on Belfast's "3G clear air"?

She's not known for accuracy.

https://twitter.com/thymetikon/status/1131702577878503425
    That book was just a rewriting for public consumption of her recent PhD thesis. Alarmingly, from Oxford! And they didn't pick up that it was so deeply erroneous presumably because even though it was really about social and legal history, she did it with their English literature deparment IIRC so it didn't receive scrutiny from anyone with actual knowledge of the subject under discussion. She's still got that PhD though... Narks me right off that she plonks the "Dr" in front of her name on twitter to enhance her authority even when spouting nonsense about 5G. Obviously she wasn't a science adviser but it's interesting she was an adviser to Bill Clinton and Al Gore bearing in mind their reputation for leaning towards technocratic/scientific input.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,283

He is saying nothing more than I noted on here last week. They instantly create tension in society to say nothing of fake certificates.
  • Options

Meanwhile, in Sweden...

‘People wave and cheer when I cycle to work. Never has an epidemiologist been this famous.’

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8188049/Scientist-leading-Swedens-battle-against-coronavirus-says-Britains-lockdown-gone-far.html

I'll take my chances over here thanks. In Boris and Matt we trust, and not The Daily Mail!
  • Options
    @rcs1000 - a week-on-week reduction of only 20% doesn't sound very promising. Let's hope it speeds up. Otherwise we might see 2 weeks of freedom causing enough new cases for 2 months of another lockdown.

And it's hard to think of how this can be eased gradually, especially if the aim is to avoid too much bureaucracy around who is allowed out for what. I hope the government brainstorming meetings have come up with a few ideas.

--AS
  • Options
    Gabs3 said:

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

Plus:

I would say he is no more than 30-40% chance. The rally round effect has already been seen and he is still 2-5 points behind Biden. On top of that, Biden is stronger among blue collar whites than Clinton, so the electoral college advantage will be smaller for Trump. Plus people will be very angry in six months time and people tend to blame the President regardless of fault. And this time he is clearly at fault.
    It is always important and illumi acting to dip into the average Joe Trump supporter with a Twitter account-verse.

They are loving his press conferences, they are "powerful" they are "unvarnished". They have memory holed his early claims that there wouldn't be any problem.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

BTW, work on my bug hotel was cut short today when I ran out of nails. I think it looks nice and rustic. Wor Lass is a bit more sceptical.

In other news, one of our neighbours has secured a delivery slot from Morrisons and kindly asked if we wanted to add anything to the order.

I did my first online shop ever.
    Booked it with Morrisons two weeks ago.
    Supposed to arrive between 2 and 3pm today.
    Just rang now , they said the driver has delivered to wrong address.
    Said they had 5 complaints already from York today, where the same had happened.
    They will speak with the driver tomorrow.
    Maybe someone is getting free food ?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    TOPPING said:

He is saying nothing more than I noted on here last week. They instantly create tension in society to say nothing of fake certificates.
    Is it that hard to produce a system where the certificate contains an ID number/barcode that can be scanned and verified on a database? You wouldn't get away with a fake driving license if it was verified against the DVLA's records.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,594
    Alistair said:

Gabs3 said:

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

Plus:

It is always important and illumi acting to dip into the average Joe Trump supporter with a Twitter account-verse.

They are loving his press conferences, they are "powerful" they are "unvarnished". They have memory holed his early claims that there wouldn't be any problem.
    To be fair, lack of coherence and coarse language helped Trump connect with blue collar Americans so why shouldn't it work for Biden?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,186

Re fake news and 5G, interesting to remember that "Dr" Naomi Wolf was an adviser to Bill Clinton (and later to Al Gore). Anyone care to comment on Belfast's "3G clear air"?

She's not known for accuracy.

https://twitter.com/thymetikon/status/1131702577878503425
    That book was just a rewriting for public consumption of her recent PhD thesis. Alarmingly, from Oxford! And they didn't pick up that it was so deeply erroneous presumably because even though it was really about social and legal history, she did it with their English literature deparment IIRC so it didn't receive scrutiny from anyone with actual knowledge of the subject under discussion. She's still got that PhD though... Narks me right off that she plonks the "Dr" in front of her name on twitter to enhance her authority even when spouting nonsense about 5G. Obviously she wasn't a science adviser but it's interesting she was an adviser to Bill Clinton and Al Gore bearing in mind their reputation for leaning towards technocratic/scientific input.
    Given the topic, I doubt if it would have got any expert scrutiny from their faculty of Modern History either.

But given the nature of this scandal, she should be under investigation to have her doctorate withdrawn, because it’s (a) it’s pretty serious and (b) it’s hardly a one-off - she has a long history of falsifying evidence to support fraudulent theses.
  • Options
    ukpaul said:

An important question is how any exit needs to satisfy two totally disparate groups. On the one hand, those who want to have the freedom to get out of it and, on the other, those who want the safety of maintaining it. I can’t see how there can be a never ending lockdown, yet I also can’t see how there could also be a complete abandonment of it.
    And so it comes back to phasing. Complete lockdown will have to be abandoned sooner rather than later, because the economy won't take the damage, but it'll need to be wound down carefully.

You would've thought that the easiest thing to do would be to...

*Encourage businesses to continue enabling everybody who can work from home to do so
    *Ease some restrictions on socialising (allow public gatherings of 5 or 10 rather than 2, advise that children and younger adults can visit each others' residences)
    *Let the "non-essential" retailers and services (everything from clothing to garden centres to hairdressers) resume trading, subject to basic social distancing requirements
    *Re-open the schools
    BUT
    *Keep the over 70s (possibly extending the advice to the over 60s) and the medically vulnerable, shielded people under current advice, to be extended for a longer period if necessary
    *Keep the hospitality trade, gyms, spectator sports and cultural establishments shuttered for the time being

Or some such similar combination of measures - enabling the illness to spread in a controlled way through the less vulnerable sections of the population, and to reduce the burden on the taxpayer of propping up those sectors of the economy that need to remain closed for longer to avert a second spike of hospital admissions.

One would fervently hope that there's a large team of number crunchers in Whitehall working on these trade-offs and preparing a plan. We can't stay under the current lockdown for more than a limited period, so the big questions are, of course, how slowly do we need to ease it for public health reasons, and how quickly to we need to ease it for economic and social reasons? Answers must be forthcoming if public confidence in the lockdown strategy - not to mention business confidence in there being some kind of light at the end of the tunnel - isn't simply going to collapse.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    edited April 2020

OllyT said:

Simply an observation, I am commenting on the predictability/bias of your posts and therefore their lack of any real insight. That is my opinion on your posting history not an ad hominem attack.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Said they had 5 complaints already from York today, where the same had happened.
    That’s rubbish. I hope they give you a delivery tomorrow and a substantial discount.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Pulpstar said:

MattW said:
    Maybe if the guidance were six feet and not two metres, people might know where to stand.
    Noone should be "browsing" in any shop during lockdown. You come in, get what you need then leave. The queue is fine.
    Why is Wilko open anyway? What do they sell?
    https://www.wilko.com/
    It's a bit like Ikea for plebs.
    I shop there
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Alistair said:

Gabs3 said:

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

Plus:

To be fair, lack of coherence and coarse language helped Trump connect with blue collar Americans so why shouldn't it work for Biden?
    As I've endlessly stated on here I think the Trump appeal to blur collars workers is grossly over stated. Trump won because voters in the rust belt hated Hillary.

A guy who got less votes than Romney in Wisconsin isn't calling on some savant like connection to the common man.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Gabs3 said:

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

Plus:

The Trump base is secure. The election will depend on the rest.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,594

Meanwhile, in Sweden...

Only the ones out in public and not socially distancing presumably!
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:
    Back to checking fannys for her.
  • Options
    eadric said:

Pulpstar said:

Till we've got a vaccine, unless it's been pretty much completely stamped out various aspects of life ain't returning to how they were even in the absence of any sort of official control.
    I sure as hell am not going to the cinema till I've either got through it , am vaccinated or it's disappeared.

A senior medical acquaintance of mine says there is unlikely to be a vaccine, for a long time, if ever. Apparently these coronaviruses are real buggers to fight.

Cheering.

He could be wrong, of course
    Some of our best friends have almost certainly had the virus, so it'll be drinks round theirs first up.
  • Options
    HM on the telly.
  • Options

ukpaul said:

And so it comes back to phasing. Complete lockdown will have to be abandoned sooner rather than later, because the economy won't take the damage, but it'll need to be wound down carefully.

*Encourage businesses to continue enabling everybody who can work from home to do so
    *Ease some restrictions on socialising (allow public gatherings of 5 or 10 rather than 2, advise that children and younger adults can visit each others' residences)
    *Let the "non-essential" retailers and services (everything from clothing to garden centres to hairdressers) resume trading, subject to basic social distancing requirements
    *Re-open the schools
    BUT
    *Keep the over 70s (possibly extending the advice to the over 60s) and the medically vulnerable, shielded people under current advice, to be extended for a longer period if necessary
    *Keep the hospitality trade, gyms, spectator sports and cultural establishments shuttered for the time being

Or some such similar combination of measures - enabling the illness to spread in a controlled way through the less vulnerable sections of the population, and to reduce the burden on the taxpayer of propping up those sectors of the economy that need to remain closed for longer to avert a second spike of hospital admissions.

One would fervently hope that there's a large team of number crunchers in Whitehall working on these trade-offs and preparing a plan. We can't stay under the current lockdown for more than a limited period, so the big questions are, of course, how slowly do we need to ease it for public health reasons, and how quickly to we need to ease it for economic and social reasons? Answers must be forthcoming if public confidence in the lockdown strategy - not to mention business confidence in there being some kind of light at the end of the tunnel - isn't simply going to collapse.
    So, I work in a school. I have a co-morbidity. I’m in my fifties. Students get the virus and spread the virus. The chances are that, if I get it, I may be permanently harmed, even if I don’t die.

You think that I’m going to be forced back to work, in such a situation?

This is the issue, you can’t compel people either way; neither to stay locked down, nor to have to endanger themself by being pushed out of it.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

Plus:

Do you really see him wanting to stick around to sort out the aftermath?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Chris said:

HYUFD said:
    Mr Ukip has a point. Why is being in the park standing up OK but lying down not?
    Because you can lie down in your own home! The rules are that you can go out to exercise.

The impenetrable thickness of some people never ceases to amaze me.
    If going to the park is dangerous, ban it. If it is not, then let people sunbathe. The trouble with inconsistent regulations is people misunderstand them, and so inadvertently break them.
    They are not inconsistent. They are very simple.

Stay at home. You are allowed out to exercise. Sunbathing is not exercise
  • Options
    Is that it from Brenda?
  • Options
    eadric said:

Pulpstar said:

A senior medical acquaintance of mine says there is unlikely to be a vaccine, for a long time, if ever. Apparently these coronaviruses are real buggers to fight.

Cheering.

i.e. Government must decide how many people must die, at what rate and over what period of time, as we plot a path back to a more normal time. Because eternal lockdown will inevitably result in socio-economic collapse.

More time will buy more research into treatments to mitigate the illness, but there's (most probably) no magic bullet.
  • Options

Is that it from Brenda?

Short and sweet, perfectly pitched in my opinion.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,413
    Her Maj was lovely.
  • Options
    "We will meet again"
  • Options
    Queen nailed it.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Is that it from Brenda?

No offer to turn one of her many palaces as a emergency NHS hospital?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,235
    eadric said:

God bless her maj

It reminds her of her first broadcast. In 1940. She is living history.
  • Options

Her Maj was lovely.

"Quiet, good humoured resolve".

The Brits in a nutshell.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Remarkable.
  • Options
    ABZABZ Posts: 441

eadric said:

Pulpstar said:

Cheering.

i.e. Government must decide how many people must die, at what rate and over what period of time, as we plot a path back to a more normal time. Because eternal lockdown will inevitably result in socio-economic collapse.

More time will buy more research into treatments to mitigate the illness, but there's (most probably) no magic bullet.
    I don't hear such pessimstic views first hand. And there are other senior virologists - including the splendidly named Larry Brilliant - who would disagree!!
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Is that it from Brenda?

Doesn't seem workable. For starters, I thought you weren't allowed to die in royal palaces.
  • Options

Is that it from Brenda?

Seemed pretty good to me. What were you expecting?
  • Options
    edited April 2020

Queen nailed it.

Maybe you should ask her round your place to help with putting up the shed?

After lockdown has ended of course...
  • Options
    It was positively North Korean with the clip of the appreciation of the NHS.
  • Options

Is that it from Brenda?

Seemed pretty good to me. What were you expecting?
    Tap dance routine.
  • Options
    ukpaul said:

ukpaul said:

*Re-open the schools
    BUT

So, I work in a school. I have a co-morbidity. I’m in my fifties. Students get the virus and spread the virus. The chances are that, if I get it, I may be permanently harmed, even if I don’t die.

This is the issue, you can’t compel people either way; neither to stay locked down, nor to have to endanger themself by being pushed out of it.
    You limp along with larger class sizes if you have to. The schools furlough staff who are too frightened to go back to work.

As soon as the lockdown is eased there will be these trade-offs. Indeed, as soon as the lockdown is eased, it's seemingly inevitable that more people will die of Covid-19 as a result.

But the lockdown can't last for all eternity. And anything that can't last forever must, necessarily, stop. It's merely a matter of when, and how.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Queen nailed it.

Maybe you should ask her round your place to help with putting up the shed?

After lockdown has ended of course...
    My choice of words was deliberate.

I floated in the cross, you slotted it away!
  • Options

Ah come on. She’s remarkable.
  • Options
    I did like the choice of her surgical green outfit.
  • Options
    Sky had a brief description of the filming... had to be in a large enough room, and the only other person was a cameraman wearing mask and gloves. One step away from a royal zorb ball.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,120
    RobD said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

ABZ said:

'Only' 525 fatalities in Italy today - lowest since March 19th (about 10 days into their lockdown). Still quite a lot of new cases reported (4300), but I wonder if they are picking up milder cases. But still good news overall.

4300 cases 27 days into lockdown. Does this show that lockdowns work with this virus ?
    Yes, of course the Italian numbers show that lockdowns can work.
    There is the same number of new infections today as there were 9 days ago.
    I have 4300 today compared with 5959 nine days ago. And compared with a peak of 6557 on 22 March, just under two weeks after the lockdown.
    And I would guess they are testing more now than they were previously?
    Another example of a lockdown working would be Austria. Given transport links to Northern Italy there must have been a high risk of something similar happening there. But they have had a pretty strict lockdown, and the daily rate of new cases is now down to about a quarter of what it was at its peak. The daily rate of deaths is also falling, and the apparent fatality rate is only about 1.6%. It looks as though they may escape with around 500 deaths in total or fewer - less than our current daily rate.
  • Options
    Anyhoo back to watching Tiger King.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,331
    Jonathan said:

I thought it was excellent - doing her job exactly as it should be done.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,202
    Charles said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:
    Mr Ukip has a point. Why is being in the park standing up OK but lying down not?
    Because you can lie down in your own home! The rules are that you can go out to exercise.

The impenetrable thickness of some people never ceases to amaze me.
    If going to the park is dangerous, ban it. If it is not, then let people sunbathe. The trouble with inconsistent regulations is people misunderstand them, and so inadvertently break them.
    They are not inconsistent. They are very simple.

Stay at home. You are allowed out to exercise. Sunbathing is not exercise
    God Almighty Charles: the regulations are not hard to read. You are allowed out if you have a “reasonable excuse”.

Whether sunbathing, say, at the end of exercising is reasonable will depend on the circumstances. I can easily think of many circumstances when it isn’t and some where it might be.

But let’s not misrepresent what the rules actually say.
  • Options
    @TheScreamingEagles - Perhaps Jurgen Klopp should address the nation. Or not.
  • Options

Anyhoo back to watching Tiger King.

Two types of prawn.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Is that it from Brenda?

Unnecessary at a moving moment in our history

The Queen has demonstrated her ability to inspire without politics

Long may she remain with us
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

@TheScreamingEagles - Perhaps Jurgen Klopp should address the nation. Or not.

Well Klopp has much of an electoral mandate to be head of state as Her Majesty.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Is that it from Brenda?

"No offer to turn one of her many palaces as a emergency NHS hospital"

You seriously think a windy old palace is a suitable quick turn around venue for an A&E and ventilator hospital??
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    Alistair said:

Foxy said:

Alistair said:

Gabs3 said:

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

Plus:

As I've endlessly stated on here I think the Trump appeal to blur collars workers is grossly over stated. Trump won because voters in the rust belt hated Hillary.

A guy who got less votes than Romney in Wisconsin isn't calling on some savant like connection to the common man.
    I wouldn't bet on Trump's ability to make the common man (or, more importantly, the common woman) love him, but I'd also not bet against Trump's ability to make the common man (and woman) hate and fear Biden as much as they did Hillary, by November.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    ydoethur said:

Yorkcity said:

That’s rubbish. I hope they give you a delivery tomorrow and a substantial discount.
    They re - credit my card .
    Sending a £ 2O voucher in post.
    However no other slots suggested.

I am in remission with blood cancer Myeloma.
    So on the governments vulnerable list .
    Sheilding for 12 weeks.
  • Options

ukpaul said:

ukpaul said:

*Re-open the schools
    BUT

You limp along with larger class sizes if you have to. The schools furlough staff who are too frightened to go back to work.

As soon as the lockdown is eased there will be these trade-offs. Indeed, as soon as the lockdown is eased, it's seemingly inevitable that more people will die of Covid-19 as a result.

But the lockdown can't last for all eternity. And anything that can't last forever must, necessarily, stop. It's merely a matter of when, and how.
    Not fear, self preservation. We seem to be doing very well with online learning. I have the same lessons, at the same times, I mark the same work and we have the same meetings. Why, when the greatest risk appears to be having lots of people talking together in small spaces, would schools be the first port of call? It goes against everything we know about this virus. Classes were only half full anyway, as parents took their children out, as they were worried about that fact. They aren’t coming back until the whole school setup is proved to be safe.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,045

Her Maj was lovely.

The Brits in a nutshell.
    Exceptional...?
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,341
    edited April 2020
    The broadcast would have been so much better without the leaking of what Her Majesty was going to say. No need for Nicholas Witchell.= result.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

I thought it was excellent - doing her job exactly as it should be done.
    Real leadership. They used to say POTUS was leader of the free world. He isn’t. The quiet authority, confidence and humanity projected from this rather unique 90 year old is in a different class.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,541

Her Maj was lovely.

The Brits in a nutshell.
    PB’s something of an outlier, then ?
    :smile:
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Is that it from Brenda?

"No offer to turn one of her many palaces as a emergency NHS hospital"

You seriously think a windy old palace is a suitable quick turn around venue for an A&E and ventilator hospital??
    Sounds just like the ExCel and the GMEX.
  • Options
    Imagine if you were the cameraman during that broadcast and felt a wee tickle in your throat :o !
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105
    edited April 2020

5th April, 2020, shortly after 8.00 pm: history can pinpoint the moment TSE buggered his chance of a gong......
This discussion has been closed.