Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » YouGov finds little evidence of people wanting to ease the loc

Comments

• Options
    MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755
    welshowl said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Starmer would agree to the EU terms, Boris would not.

So the choice at the next general election will either be to rejoin the single market or a FTA that is aligned with the single market in most respects anyway, or a harder Brexit with Boris on WTO terms if the EU will not back down
    By the next GE we will have had Hard Brexit for 3 years. Any EEA style deal would be quite a change, but would do little to preserve existing cross channel trade. After 3 years the damage would probably be fairly complete.
    By then we might well have new trade deals and expanded exports beyond the EEA
    A good trade deal with China perhaps?
    Australia, Canada, African and other Asian nations like India and the USA of course, our largest single export destination
    India are going for India first, the USA for USA first, the idea that we can get good trade deals from them whilst giving the cold shoulder to the EU &

China is simply ridiculous.
    Some of the people on here are nuts, they live in a fantasy world of Rule Britannia, you could not make up the rubbish they come away with.
    I have been in hundreds of meetings all over the world since the 80’s talking about selling UK manufactured goods. The sum total of how many times I’ve been asked about a trade deal is zero. Price quality delivery are far far far more important.

I’ve never believed the bollocks of the sky will fall if we vote to leave/leave the Eu/leave the single market or whatever other horseshit the remain camp has thrown up in increasingly desperate attempts to thwart us going, and anyway it’s all a walk in the park compared with the present situation.

So jog on.
    As a simple peasant, I've never lain awake at night worrying about the trade deal with South Korea. It's too disconnected from our daily lives for it to impact us. I can't imagine the simple hook that makes it a big issue for the masses, only for the shallow commentariat.

I'm worried Starmer will go all Free Movement. Could that ever be profitable at all, never mind post-pandemic? Maybe for seat gains here and there and whip up the Guardianistas, but Labour need to appeal to C2's and DE's again to hit the Tories properly. I don't think Labour support can come back there with bylines of "Starmer Competent at PMQ's," although he will be.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    Foxy said:

welshowl said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

So the choice at the next general election will either be to rejoin the single market or a FTA that is aligned with the single market in most respects anyway, or a harder Brexit with Boris on WTO terms if the EU will not back down
    By the next GE we will have had Hard Brexit for 3 years. Any EEA style deal would be quite a change, but would do little to preserve existing cross channel trade. After 3 years the damage would probably be fairly complete.
    Australia, Canada, African and other Asian nations like India and the USA of course, our largest single export destination
    India are going for India first, the USA for USA first, the idea that we can get good trade deals from them whilst giving the cold shoulder to the EU &

Some of the people on here are nuts, they live in a fantasy world of Rule Britannia, you could not make up the rubbish they come away with.
    I have been in hundreds of meetings all over the world since the 80’s talking about selling UK manufactured goods. The sum total of how many times I’ve been asked about a trade deal is zero. Price quality delivery are far far far more important.

I’ve never believed the bollocks of the sky will fall if we vote to leave/leave the Eu/leave the single market or whatever other horseshit the remain camp has thrown up in increasingly desperate attempts to thwart us going, and
    anyway it’s all a walk in the park compared with the present situation.

So jog on.
    Price (tarrifs) quality (meeting approved standards) and delivery (no customs delays) are all pretty key, in any deal.

Funny how the company I work for has had its best growth over the past fifteen years where we have no deals then isn’t it?
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    rcs1000 said:

I would suggest a tiered approach to ending the lockdown, with Piers Morgan released last of all.

I think that's something we can all agree on....
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,304
    edited April 2020
    Boris and his allies must be very miserable about Brexit. The great cultural war they intended to unleash on the back of it has been left completely obsolete in the COVID-19 landscape. For them, Brexit is now all problems and no fun. I bet they just wish it would go away.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,608
    edited April 2020
    According to the Israeli professor the virus should disappear in about 20 days' time.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    Andy_JS said:

According to the Israeli professor the virus should disappear in about 20 days' time.

Odds of that happening must be astronomical.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,610
    welshowl said:

Foxy said:

welshowl said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

I’ve never believed the bollocks of the sky will fall if we vote to leave/leave the Eu/leave the single market or whatever other horseshit the remain camp has thrown up in increasingly desperate attempts to thwart us going, and
    anyway it’s all a walk in the park compared with the present situation.

So jog on.
    Price (tarrifs) quality (meeting approved standards) and delivery (no customs delays) are all pretty key, in any deal.

Funny how the company I work for has had its best growth over the past fifteen years where we have no deals then isn’t it?
    We have extensive deals, not just with the EU, but also via the EU.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Whilst I doubt the reduced air traffic has made a difference to the weather systems, without a doubt its meant far less cloud around Heathrow and Gatwick. I cannot remember such a prolonged spell of wall to wall sunshine around here. We might get the odd day, but cloud inevitably builds up on most days.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

The talks should just end. They are entirely pointless. There will be no transition extension. There will be no FTA. We are best off preparing for the consequences of that now.

Indeed, the heady cocktail of the financial aftermath of the Coronavirus pandemic and a trade-agreement-free Brexit should make for one massive hangover.

It's pretty clear that's where we are heading to. I genuinely don't understand what benefits the government believes it will deliver over an extension, but I imagine I am in a minority on that. It will be fascinating to see how we all cope.

I guess the Government views the Coronavirus aftermath as a handy cloak
    for a WTO trade arrangement.

A statement that comes to mind is this: 'No Deal Brexit would have been fantastic but for Covid-19'!
    Quite. If you’re tanking by double digits in 2020, WTO is a rounding figure, at worst.

The EU are going to overplay their hand yet again if they are not careful. They are playing chicken with an opponent that doesn’t care. Add in they were getting nowhere on their budget pre (!) corona, and the tables are a lot more even than a year ago.

Barnier sounded a bit non plussed today, as if he’s pressing the buttons he pressed with May and doesn’t understand why it’s not working.
    Barnier is still in the stop UK succeeding at all cost mode and the EU ever since Cameron have always given the impression that they do not have to negotiate seriously as we need them more than they need us

However, the dynamics have changed and changed in a way never imagined. The EU have failed their member states over covid as each country fights for itself, hence Macron hijacking British PPE and Italy becoming seriously anti EU over lack of support

June will come and all Boris has to do is to announce we cannot agree to pay billions more into the EU, we cannot be responsible for their debts, and we cannot be restricted by Brussels and the ECJ in taking domestic UK decisions on how we deal with this economic armageddon and especially state aid and EU taxation rules

It is not where we want to be but Barnier needs to get real, or see no deal brexit occur and all the downside that would involve to the EU

Barnier no longer holds all the aces. Now is the time for him to get real
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

welshowl said:

The talks should just end. They are entirely pointless. There will be no transition extension. There will be no FTA. We are best off preparing for the consequences of that now.

Indeed, the heady cocktail of the financial aftermath of the Coronavirus pandemic and a trade-agreement-free Brexit should make for one massive hangover.

It's pretty clear that's where we are heading to. I genuinely don't understand what benefits the government believes it will deliver over an extension, but I imagine I am in a minority on that. It will be fascinating to see how we all cope.

A statement that comes to mind is this: 'No Deal Brexit would have been fantastic but for Covid-19'!
    Quite. If you’re tanking by double digits in 2020, WTO is a rounding figure, at worst.

The EU are going to overplay their hand yet again if they are not careful. They are playing chicken with an opponent that doesn’t care. Add in they were getting nowhere on their budget pre (!) corona, and the tables are a lot more even than a year ago.

Barnier sounded a bit non plussed today, as if he’s pressing the buttons he pressed with May and doesn’t understand why it’s not working.
    Barnier is still in the stop UK succeeding at all cost mode and the EU ever since Cameron have always given the impression that they do not have to negotiate seriously as we need them more than they need us

However, the dynamics have changed and changed in a way never imagined. The EU have failed their member states over covid as each country fights for itself, hence Macron hijacking British PPE and Italy becoming seriously anti EU over lack of support

June will come and all Boris has to do is to announce we cannot agree to pay billions more into the EU, we cannot be responsible for their debts, and we cannot be restricted by Brussels and the ECJ in taking domestic UK decisions on how we deal with this economic armageddon and especially state aid and EU taxation rules

It is not where we want to be but Barnier needs to get real, or see no deal brexit occur and all the downside that would involve to the EU

What are a few more avoidable deaths to a diehard Conservative slavishly loyal to the government?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,927
    edited April 2020

isam said:

I saw someone point out that Sweden, with coronavirus, is in fact two stories:
    - Stockholm
    - Rest of Sweden

... which marches well with the suggestion that the local population density really has to be taken into account.

As of today, Stockholm passed the figure of 500 deaths per million.
    (1,192 deaths in a population of 2.377 million).

The rest of Sweden has a figure of 122 deaths per million (960 deaths out of 7.85 million)

Quite a difference.

Be interesting to see where the care homes are
    Apparently dispersed through the country, as social care for the elderly is devolved to county councils. Unless the elderly specifically move to Stockholm County when they get old, one wouldn't expect any concentration there much beyond the proportionate population concentration.
    Old article about Covid in regions of Stockholm... hopefully there’s a more recent one about

https://www.thelocal.se/20200407/these-are-the-stockholm-districts-worst-affected-by-the-coronavirus

In any case hopefully a useful local resource
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

welshowl said:

YOU people do not seem to be able to take it in, the EU is not going to be a patsy to England. They will look after the EU and once you dummies get it then it will be far too late. All you will have is gruel and your blue passports, enjoy the fruit picking.
    They are not looking after the EU at present, in any shape or form
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

By 2024 the matter will be resolved one way or another
    I agree to the extent that I believe that Brexit will not feature as a prominent issue in 2024 -less so than at any election since 2010
    Brexit won't as it has been done, rejoining the single market will though as Starmer and the LDs and SNP will all push for that
    I do not expect that the EU will be at the fore of a 2024 election campaign - it will be relegated to a minor issue on a par with the elections of 1992 - 2010 inclusive.
    We will be trading with the EU most likely on WTO terms by 2024, if that proves successful then no it will not be a big issue, if it is less successful then a return to the single market will be a big issue
    I doubt that even in the latter scenario that it will be a major issue - any more than was the case at the elections of 1970 , 1966 and 1964.
    Good to see you have such confidence in WTO terms then Justin
    The UK was outside the EEC at the time of those elections, but had the clear ambition of wishing to join in due course. Barely mentioned in the campaigns though - unlike February 1974 when Enoch Powell was able to increase its salience.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    edited April 2020
    TimT said:

kinabalu said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

Nigelb said:

Government will be doing well to exceed 50,000 tests by end of next week, let alone 100k

https://twitter.com/DHSCgovuk/status/1253688601637986304?s=20

It was a pretty arbitrary target anyway.
    S. Korea managed to control their outbreak with around 20k a day, which suggests it's not all about the raw numbers.
    Yep, but the media narrative is such that it has to be 100k per day no matter the cost, no matter the science.
    South Korea has also had the virus far more under control than we've ever managed.
    The UK is painfully slowly moving in the right direction with testing and surveillance. I wonder how much of a distraction this testing target has been though.
    I bet it has been a distraction. Targets should be kept for the gun range IMO. I have never come across one in other matters that has led to anything but needless stress, false measurement, linguistic contortions and poor outcomes.
    They can be great if used to inspire (the BHAGs like 'we shall land a man on the moon and return him safely to earth by the end of this decade'), deadly when used to reward 'performance'.

I hammer into participants in my biorisk workshops that metrics should only be used for learning purposes, and targets solely for goal orientation and inspiration purpose; but neither should be used for either performance measurement or remuneration calculations.
    Yes, broadbrush, strategic, visionary "targets" can work. The two types that don't are for managing performance (as you note) and those created for capricious or essentially PR reasons. And the "don't work" category in my experience accounts for most of them. In fact "don't work" is flattering. They are often toxic.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,291
    edited April 2020

welshowl said:

What are a few more avoidable deaths to a diehard Conservative slavishly loyal to the government?
    You need a new line Alastair.

You will not provoke me with that tired old argument

And by the way, thank you for your suggestion that I contact my credit card company re BA's evasion over my full refund in the flights they have cancelled to Vancouver in mid may. I received a very helpful letter from the Nationwide but also, after waiting one and a half hours on the line, a BA customer service rep was excellent and promised a full refund in 14 days. It has actually come through in four days
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,201
    Andy_JS said:

I mentioned a couple of weeks back that the curve charts of infections & deaths showed a remarkably consistent pattern of changing rates of growth across a lot of countries. What Issac Ben Israel suggests is that it doesn't matter as much as may be thought about the degree to which you take restrictive measures.

He doesn't suggest that measures taken did not and do have an effect but where he steers into potentially enticing but also risky propositions is that 1) this virus has a short and predictable period of growth peak severity and decline and 2) you don't need to shut the whole show down to manage it, its got a pattern which its broadly going to follow whatever you do.

Israel itself has come out ok but it went for quite a shutdown, it also happens to have pretty good weather this time of year which may suggest the climate played its part. We may well have a great laboratory for climate variations that in the coming months. Its called New Zealand.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    BBC News - Dyson Covid-19 ventilators are 'no longer required'
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52409359

Only a quarter of ventaliators in use.

And dyson spent £20 million on this project, £0 to the taxpayer.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,250
    Trump now says he was being sarcastic, so his defenders can relax and stop trying to defend his inject disinfectant remarks.

Of course, you now have to defend him being such an egoistic troll that he thought it was appropriate "sarcasm" . But don't waste your time, nobody who has seen the video (which is worth seeing, even by trump's standards it's quite incredible) is going to believe that he was being sarcastic.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,653
    When "progress" means "agreeing with us".

“The EU will not agree to any future economic partnership that does not include a balanced, sustainable and long-term solution on fisheries, that should be crystal clear to the UK.” Mr Barnier said he was “seriously concerned” as to whether or not the negotiations would yield an agreement and warned if not, both sides would be required to introduce customs checks.

The UK team, conversely, called on the EU to start getting serious and “accept reality” that Britain would be an independent coastal state at the end of the year.

“On fisheries, the EU’s mandate appears to require us to accept a continuance of the current quotas agreed under the Common Fisheries Policy.

“We will only be able to make progress here on the basis of the reality that the UK will have the right to control access to its waters at the end of this year.”

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/politics/uk-politics/2168158/brexit-european-union-continue-to-demand-access-to-uk-waters/
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,334
    Monkeys said:

I'm worried Starmer will go all Free Movement. Could that ever be profitable at all, never mind post-pandemic? Maybe for seat gains here and there and whip up the Guardianistas, but Labour need to appeal to C2's and DE's again to hit the Tories properly. I don't think Labour support can come back there with bylines of "Starmer Competent at PMQ's," although he will be.

I note that the Government has quietly pulled the Immigration Bill. The question: "Is this a good moment to bar the source of care workers who make up a fifth of the workforce?" answers itself. The argument that measuring entitlement to immigration by salary is Tory short-sightedness is suddenly much easier to make than it used to be.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,945

Honestly I view people who put a double space after a full stop in the same category as people who put pineapples on pizzas.

That's too kind.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,334
    Barnesian said:

As men, in general, have a poorer immune system than women (missing a piece of chromosome 23) and are therefore more suspectible to Covid-19, surely the solution to the partial lifting of the lockdown is for the women to go out to work while the men stay at home and look after the children?

Yes, that'd be a fun solution. And for extra protection, require both sexes to wear burqas.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,992
    Monkeys said:

welshowl said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

I’ve never believed the bollocks of the sky will fall if we vote to leave/leave the Eu/leave the single market or whatever other horseshit the remain camp has thrown up in increasingly desperate attempts to thwart us going, and anyway it’s all a walk in the park compared with the present situation.

So jog on.
    As a simple peasant, I've never lain awake at night worrying about the trade deal with South Korea. It's too disconnected from our daily lives for it to impact us. I can't imagine the simple hook that makes it a big issue for the masses, only for the shallow commentariat.

C2s are gone for Labour, they voted more Tory than even ABs did at the last general election.

For Starmer to become PM he needs middle class, pro single market Remainers and DEs.

After a few years of no free movement but WTO terms things might also look a bit different
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,891
    "Given how few things there are to bet on at the moment I was expecting betting markets on the timescale of the shutdown."

I guess it has been said 100 times alrady, but I'm not sure how you could have a definite event which defines "End of lockdown". Even schools would return on different days.
  • Options

welshowl said:

And by the way, thank you for your suggestion that I contact my credit card company re BA's evasion over my full refund in the flights they have cancelled to Vancouver in mid may. I received a very helpful letter from the Nationwide but also, after waiting one and a half hours on the line, a BA customer service rep was excellent and promised a full refund in 14 days. It has actually come through in four days
    My partner takes and needs anti-seizure medication. Matt Hancock was not prepared to guarantee that medicine supplies could all be met in the event of a no-deal Brexit. Anti-seizure medication was one of the medicines at risk. Nothing in the last three months inspires confidence in the government’s ability to deliver even promises made on logistics.

You were concerned when a relative at Airbus might have had his job threatened by no-deal Brexit. You’re entirely comfortable with my partner having to take his chances. Because his possible pain or death is irrelevant as compared with blindly backing the Conservative party.

You have some hard thinking to do about your morality.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

I thought the Brexiteers are looking to stop trade with China? And the US are looking to stop trade with everyone unless it is on their terms.

Who can we cross off the list next?
    Only xenophobes are wanting to stop trade with China, not Brexiteers. A potential trade deal with China - and other economies - has long been touted as a potential benefit of Brexit. Including by our very own now Prime Minister during the referendum campaign.
    Touting it as a benefit of Brexit is not sufficient. To do a long term beneficial trade deal with China you need to accept their way of politics is different, and that saving face is very important, so avoid going for the favourable press headlines that come with attacking them for coronavirus.

Now they are in charge, Brexiteer choices will have to start becoming consistent. If China is the goal fine, then train the cabinet in how to deal with China and sack those who prefer to grandstand.
    I'm sorry I completely disagree. Business is business and politics is politics.

China does care about face but they don't need or care for supplicants and grovelers. In order to get a good trade deal we just need a deal that can be to the benefit of both parties while respecting each others uniqueness. We won't be trying to force our politics on them, they won't be trying to force their politics on us.

That's the difference to the EU. The EU are trying to make us supplicants. They do want to force their politics on us and their courts on us in a way they don't with any other trade partner outside of Europe. That doesn't work and we need to say a firm no to that until they grow up and drop that idiocy. But other nations won't expect that any more than the EU expected Canada to accept that.
    I disagree.

I think the EU wants to make it clear that there is no "better" deal on the table if you leave them, and that (sadly) dominates their thinking.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    edited April 2020
    Mr Barnesian,

The sex dfiference is enormous with COVID-19. It evens up a little in the very old age group as by then, there's very few men left. Sexism. Something must be done.

Is life institutionally racist?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,608
    RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

Maybe China aren't lying when they say deaths are no longer occurring.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

They've only recently locked down another city.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

I thought the Brexiteers are looking to stop trade with China? And the US are looking to stop trade with everyone unless it is on their terms.

Only xenophobes are wanting to stop trade with China, not Brexiteers. A potential trade deal with China - and other economies - has long been touted as a potential benefit of Brexit. Including by our very own now Prime Minister during the referendum campaign.
    Touting it as a benefit of Brexit is not sufficient. To do a long term beneficial trade deal with China you need to accept their way of politics is different, and that saving face is very important, so avoid going for the favourable press headlines that come with attacking them for coronavirus.

Now they are in charge, Brexiteer choices will have to start becoming consistent. If China is the goal fine, then train the cabinet in how to deal with China and sack those who prefer to grandstand.

China does care about face but they don't need or care for supplicants and grovelers. In order to get a good trade deal we just need a deal that can be to the benefit of both parties while respecting each others uniqueness. We won't be trying to force our politics on them, they won't be trying to force their politics on us.

That's the difference to the EU. The EU are trying to make us supplicants. They do want to force their politics on us and their courts on us in a way they don't with any other trade partner outside of Europe. That doesn't work and we need to say a firm no to that until they grow up and drop that idiocy. But other nations won't expect that any more than the EU expected Canada to accept that.
    I disagree.

I think the EU wants to make it clear that there is no "better" deal on the table if you leave them, and that (sadly) dominates their thinking.
    Yes, of course. The EU needs to make clear that club members enjoy benefits of club membership that non-members cannot enjoy. That's the whole point of having a club.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Andy_JS said:

RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

Other than locking down another city of 10 million people.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,076
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

I disagree.

And the EU is willing to damage EU countries to do so.

Of course it wont be the likes of Barnier and other EU fatcats who will lose out.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

That's the difference to the EU. The EU are trying to make us supplicants. They do want to force their politics on us and their courts on us in a way

they don't with any other trade partner outside of Europe. That doesn't work and we need to say a firm no to that until they grow up and drop that idiocy. But other nations won't expect that any more than the EU expected Canada to accept that.
    I disagree.

And at each twist and turn they have seemingly believed this would scare us, and bring us to heel.

Instead of which they are now one final move away from a sequence running from Feb 16 through Mar, June, Oct 19, Jan 20, and now possibly June 20 from fulfilling the ERG’s wildest fantasy. They will have manoeuvred us by accident, and against their stated desires, from a full member with a couple of opt outs ( paying reliable into the net kitty of course) to a state with arguably less relationship than Canada or the Ukraine.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Monkeys said:

welshowl said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

So jog on.

C2s are gone for Labour, they voted more Tory than even ABs did at the last general election.

For Starmer to become PM he needs middle class, pro single market Remainers and DEs.

After a few years of no free movement but WTO terms things might also look a bit different
    One nation Labour it is then. I agree that a coalition of the poor/professionals makes sense but in reality they are going to need votes from all classes.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Is life institutionally sexist might be what I meant.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274

Monkeys said:

I note that the Government has quietly pulled the Immigration Bill. The question: "Is this a good moment to bar the source of care workers who make up a fifth of the workforce?" answers itself. The argument that measuring entitlement to immigration by salary is Tory short-sightedness is suddenly much easier to make than it used to be.
    And rural areas are crying out for people to pick this year’s fruit and veg
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,076
    Just heard an interesting anecdote - apparently lots of people are showing on x rays to have had covid but are asymptomatic.

Plus there's no shortage of PPE in Nottinghamshire.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

That's the difference to the EU. The EU are trying to make us supplicants. They do want to force their politics on us and their courts on us in a way they don't with any other trade partner outside of Europe. That doesn't work and we need to say a firm no to that until they grow up and drop that idiocy.

But other nations won't expect that any more than the EU expected Canada to accept that.

I disagree.

Yes, of course. The EU needs to make clear that club members enjoy benefits of club membership that non-members cannot enjoy. That's the whole point of having a club.
    That Irish border is going to be fun when we’re not exactly too zealous about tracking what’s leaving Liverpool or Stranraer, isn’t it?
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,006
    welshowl said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

That's the difference to the EU. The EU are trying to make us supplicants. They do want to force their politics on us and their courts on us in a way they don't with any other trade partner outside of Europe. That doesn't work and we need to say a firm no to that until they grow up and drop that idiocy.

But other nations won't expect that any more than the EU expected Canada to accept that.

I disagree.

That Irish border is going to be fun when we’re not exactly too zealous about tracking what’s leaving Liverpool or Stranraer, isn’t it?
    cheap unofficial exports is a livable problem
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,173
    edited April 2020

welshowl said:

Yeah, we hold all the cards, even more so post- Coronavirus. Dream-on!
  • Options
    Yokes said:

Andy_JS said:

I mentioned a couple of weeks back that the curve charts of infections & deaths showed a remarkably consistent pattern of changing rates of growth across a lot of countries. What Issac Ben Israel suggests is that it doesn't matter as much as may be thought about the degree to which you take restrictive measures.

He doesn't suggest that measures taken did not and do have an effect but where he steers into potentially enticing but also risky propositions is that 1) this virus has a short and predictable period of growth peak severity and decline and 2) you don't need to shut the whole show down to manage it, its got a pattern which its broadly going to follow whatever you do.

Israel itself has come out ok but it went for quite a shutdown, it also happens to have pretty good weather this time of year which may suggest the climate played its part. We may well have a great laboratory for climate variations that in the coming months. Its called New Zealand.
    Just because (according to Dr Trump at least) the sun kills the virus on contact doesn’t mean that cold weather can conjure up infections out of nowhere.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,445

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

I disagree.

And the EU is willing to damage EU countries to do so.

Of course it wont be the likes of Barnier and other EU fatcats who will lose out.
    Yes, that's the point. The EU aren't negotiating with the interests of their members or their members' populations at heart, they're negotiating with the interests of the union itself at heart.
  • Options

welshowl said:

My partner takes and needs anti-seizure medication. Matt Hancock was not prepared to guarantee that medicine supplies could all be met in the event of a no-deal Brexit. Anti-seizure medication was one of the medicines at risk. Nothing in the last three months inspires confidence in the government’s ability to deliver even promises made on logistics.

You were concerned when a relative at Airbus might have had his job threatened by no-deal Brexit. You’re entirely comfortable with my partner having to take his chances. Because his possible pain or death is irrelevant as compared with blindly backing the Conservative party.

Alastair I am so sorry about your partner and it is not fair to suggest anything like you have in this piece. I understand your genuine concerns and worry for him

Ironically covid 19 is much more of a threat to Airbus than brexit especially when Airbus have guaranteed wing manufacture here in North Wales. It is rumoured that Airbus will have at least a 40% drop in demand post covid resulting in thousands of lost jobs in France, Germany and the UK

Covid has changed everything and the EU have failed in so many aspects. They are in real danger of failing to see the warning signs that are flashing now but it is not too late for Barnier to come to his senses and negotiate a Canada style deal or similar
  • Options
    EPG said:

welshowl said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

I disagree.

I think the EU wants to make it clear that there is no "better" deal on the

table if you leave them, and that (sadly) dominates their thinking.
    cheap unofficial exports is a livable problem
    Always was. It’s was only blown up as a stick to beat us with.
  • Options
    On another subject, hasn't it been pleasant ti give arguments about tge EU a rest for a few weeks? Arguments about the merits of lockdown, which is literally a matter of life and death are carried out so much more thoughtfully and civilly.

In another subject, any news on Kim Jong Il?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Interesting context on trust for journalists ...
    https://twitter.com/benatipsosmori/status/1253592227512832001?s=21

That's fair, although I certainly get the impression that journalists, even though they know that context, think they are a lot more trusted by the public than they are. Especially the partisan ones who think they are the only ones holding anyone to account.
    We are way short of the rubbish that passes for media in the US, though. Drive around the states and the abject crap put out on American radio stations has to be heard to be believed.

This is worth a read:

https://unherd.com/2020/04/can-british-media-steer-clear-of-the-american-sewer/?tl_inbound=1&tl_groups[0]=18743&tl_period_type=3
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,231
    edited April 2020
    Cookie said:

On another subject, hasn't it been pleasant ti give arguments about tge EU a rest for a few weeks? Arguments about the merits of lockdown, which is literally a matter of life and death are carried out so much more thoughtfully and civilly.

Yes, he died in 2011.

On Kim Jong Un, nothing definite yet afaik.

Edit - this article is quite interesting on the little we do know and the possible implications of it.

https://www.newstatesman.com/world/asia/2020/04/unanswered-questions-surrounding-kim-jong-un
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,931
    welshowl said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

That's the difference to the EU. The EU are trying to make us supplicants. They do want to force their politics on us and their courts on us in a way

they don't with any other trade partner outside of Europe. That doesn't work and we need to say a firm no to that until they grow up and drop that idiocy. But other nations won't expect that any more than the EU expected Canada to accept that.
    I disagree.

And at each twist and turn they have seemingly believed this would scare us, and bring us to heel.

Instead of which they are now one final move away from a sequence running from Feb 16 through Mar, June, Oct 19, Jan 20, and now possibly June 20 from fulfilling the ERG’s wildest fantasy. They will have manoeuvred us by accident, and against their stated desires, from a full member with a couple of opt outs ( paying reliable into the net kitty of course) to a state with arguably less relationship than Canada or the Ukraine.

And maybe one day I’ll understand how that’s in our best interests.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

On another subject, hasn't it been pleasant ti give arguments about tge EU a rest for a few weeks?

Ah, those were the days
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Cookie said:

On another subject, hasn't it been pleasant ti give arguments about tge EU a rest for a few weeks?

Ah, those were the days
    We thought they’d never end...
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

I disagree.

But Matt, that is not what the EU is trying to do here. They are posturing that if you leave the club, not only won't you be eligible for member benefits, but we'll make sure you won't even have as good a deal as certain other non-members. So it is more than just club membership benefits, it is about scaring the current members into not even thinking about leaving.
  • Options

In Leicester our overflow ICU in main theatres and recovery is nearly empty now, though the proper one is full.

Interesting chat with a cardiology friend. They are finding x ray changes of covid-19 in swab negative patients. Perhaps the myocardial problems are not as unusual as thought. Early days though.
  • Options

welshowl said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

I disagree.

And maybe one day I’ll understand how that’s in our best interests.
    Give it time 😉
  • Options

welshowl said:

Alastair I am so sorry about your partner and it is not fair to suggest anything like you have in this piece. I understand your genuine concerns and worry for him

Ironically covid 19 is much more of a threat to Airbus than brexit especially when Airbus have guaranteed wing manufacture here in North Wales. It is rumoured that Airbus will have at least a 40% drop in demand post covid resulting in thousands of lost jobs in France, Germany and the UK

Covid has changed everything and the EU have failed in so many aspects. They are in real danger of failing to see the warning signs that are flashing now but it is not too late for Barnier to come to his senses and negotiate a Canada style deal or similar
    So I’m just to suck up the possibility of pain or death for my partner so you can blindly cheerlead the Conservative party? OK.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    How desperate is the Guardian getting with its increasingly bizarre attempts to put a negative slant on any bit of “information” it is “leaked” that consists of no story whatsoever?
  • Options

welshowl said:

That is a glib answer to a very real issue.

I want a deal but Barnier is not recognising the real danger that come June we may well notify them we leave on WTO in accordance with the ending of transistion with no deal

Extending transistion is not permitted under UK law so in order to even do that the government would have to make a case to the country that we will have to pay billions more to the EU, be tied into their rules inhibiting our own ability to decide our tax and state aid rules in dealing with the covid aftermath, and then pass an act to agree the extension against an 80 seat majority for getting brexit done
  • Options
    TimT said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

I disagree.

But Matt, that is not what the EU is trying to do here. They are posturing that if you leave the club, not only won't you be eligible for member benefits, but we'll make sure you won't even have as good a deal as certain other non-members. So it is more than just club membership benefits, it is about scaring the current members into not even thinking about leaving.
    Exactly. Skynet is self aware and fighting to defend itself whatever, to borrow an analogy.

• Options
    Foxy said:

In Leicester our overflow ICU in main theatres and recovery is nearly empty now, though the proper one is full.

Interesting chat with a cardiology friend. They are finding x ray changes of covid-19 in swab negative patients. Perhaps the myocardial problems are not as unusual as thought. Early days though.
    Foxy, I've had doubts about the swab method of sample collection from the start and believe this may be a major cause of the very high PCR false negatives. I think two things might be at play here:

1. improper swabbing resulting in poor samples
    2. potential for infections with very little viral presence in the nasal areas

Grateful for your thoughts on both possibilities.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,377
    IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

Interesting context on trust for journalists ...
    https://twitter.com/benatipsosmori/status/1253592227512832001?s=21

That's fair, although I certainly get the impression that journalists, even though they know that context, think they are a lot more trusted by the public than they are. Especially the partisan ones who think they are the only ones holding anyone to account.
    We are way short of the rubbish that passes for media in the US, though. Drive around the states and the abject crap put out on American radio stations has to be heard to be believed.

This is worth a read:

https://unherd.com/2020/04/can-british-media-steer-clear-of-the-american-sewer/?tl_inbound=1&tl_groups[0]=18743&tl_period_type=3
    What we need to encourage is the burrowing into the actual facts.

For example, Foxy has pointed out here, something that has been missed completely by the national media -

In some hospitals, there is no PPE shortage for the COVID wards, but there is a large COVID risk in the non-COVID wards. Which are sometimes short of PPE, since the COVID wards have priority.

This is a large, valid and useful story. Probably talking to x number of doctors would have revealed it. Why not?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Yokes said:

Andy_JS said:

Map: https://news.google.com/covid19/map?hl=en-GB&gl=GB&ceid=GB:en

Covid is everywhere from the Arctic Circle to Cape Horn, so what makes NZ special (except that it has virtually no cases at all, which makes it look rather a poor laboratory)?
  • Options
    TimT said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

I disagree.

I think that's a misconception. The EU has always pointed out that there's a spectrum of different guest membership schemes available. Each one with its own distinct balance of membership obligations and privileges.
    The problem is that HMG seems to aspire to a level of market access that doesn't reconcile with the level of obligations it is prepared to agree to.
  • Options

welshowl said:

So I’m just to suck up the possibility of pain or death for my partner so you can blindly cheerlead the Conservative party? OK.
    Just what do you want me to say Alastair

You are trying to use emotional blackmail to change my support for the conservative party, and to what end. If I rejected the party you would still have millions to continue your unpleasant emotional blackmail
  • Options

welshowl said:

You are trying to use emotional blackmail to change my support for the conservative party, and to what end. If I rejected the party you would still have millions to continue your unpleasant emotional blackmail
    You regard support for the Conservative party as paramount, as is clear from that comment.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,854
    Evening all :)

Plenty of people queuing up to kick the European Union but all it shows is the difference between federal and central organisations.

The EU is made up of sovereign Governments who will naturally take different decisions when confronted by a crisis of this nature which affects each of them differently.

The federal USA has the same issues - you have individual states taking different stances on lock downs so New York is different from South Dakota and as we see the Governor of Nevada does one thing and the Mayor of Las Vegas (which is actually Downtown Vegas not the Strip) wants everything re-opened.

It would be as if Surrey decided one level of lock down and Hampshire another - pubs opened in Norfolk but were closed in Suffolk. In the UK we have a more centralised system so England, Scotland Wales and Northern Ireland all act broadly in concert and what goes for one part of England goes for all of England.

Neither the Mayor of London nor the Leader of Cornwall Council have the power to lift or ease the lock down unilaterally in their areas - they are all dependent on the decisions taken at Westminster.

That may be appropriate given how the virus is behaving - it may not - but it's not about giving the EU a kicking. It doesn't have the power to impose the same lock down policy on Poland, Finland and Spain or on us if we were still members.
  • Options

TimT said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

I disagree.

I think that's a misconception. The EU has always pointed out that there's a spectrum of different guest membership schemes available. Each one with its own distinct balance of membership obligations and privileges.
    The problem is that HMG seems to aspire to a level of market access that doesn't reconcile with the level of obligations it is prepared to agree to.
    So why is a Canada-style agreement taken off the table? And spare me the proximity argument.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

Andy_JS said:

RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

Other than locking down another city of 10 million people.
    That was on the BBC live page the other day, and I'm sure it said it was due to a death or deaths, alongside it was another "no deaths in China" story. It seems a bit odd that they don't comment when stories directly contradict one another.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,418
    edited April 2020
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,058
    TimT said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

I disagree.

The current members are the ones deciding the approach. Do you think they are deliberately trying to intimidate themselves?
  • Options
    stodge said:

Plenty of people queuing up to kick the European Union but all it shows is the difference between federal and central organisations.

The EU is made up of sovereign Governments who will naturally take different decisions when confronted by a crisis of this nature which affects each of them differently.

The federal USA has the same issues - you have individual states taking different stances on lock downs so New York is different from South Dakota and as we see the Governor of Nevada does one thing and the Mayor of Las Vegas (which is actually Downtown Vegas not the Strip) wants everything re-opened.

It would be as if Surrey decided one level of lock down and Hampshire another - pubs opened in Norfolk but were closed in Suffolk. In the UK we have a more centralised system so England, Scotland Wales and Northern Ireland all act broadly in concert and what goes for one part of England goes for all of England.

Neither the Mayor of London nor the Leader of Cornwall Council have the power to lift or ease the lock down unilaterally in their areas - they are all dependent on the decisions taken at Westminster.

That may be appropriate given how the virus is behaving - it may not - but it's not about giving the EU a kicking. It doesn't have the power to impose the same lock down policy on Poland, Finland and Spain or on us if we were still members.

Wales are threatening to head off in a different direction:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-52396683

Although it’s hard to escape the sense this is more due to a sense of panic that Welsh Labour’s support is slipping and their desire to project Drakeford as a strong and independent figure, rather than any realistic appraisal of the likely results.
  • Options

welshowl said:

You regard support for the Conservative party as paramount, as is clear from that comment.
    You are talking to someone who is a liberal one nation conservative who has twice voted labour as HYUFD constantly reminds me and do not see any other party as relevant to take us through covid and yes, brexit, but hopefully with a deal

• Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,931

welshowl said:

That is a glib answer to a very real issue.

I want a deal but Barnier is not recognising the real danger that come June we may well notify them we leave on WTO in accordance with the ending of transistion with no deal

Extending transistion is not permitted under UK law so in order to even do that the government would have to make a case to the country that we will have to pay billions more to the EU, be tied into their rules inhibiting our own ability to decide our tax and state aid rules in dealing with the covid aftermath, and then pass an act to agree the extension against an 80 seat majority for getting brexit done
    Brexit is done. There will be no extension or FTA. One day someone will explain why this is the best option. It’s not happened yet.

• Options
    RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

It clearly won't be worldwide, but localised outbreaks are probably on that timescale.

It is the pattern of epidemics, to burn out after about 3 months. We saw it in China and Iran for example. The problem then becomes the whack a mole of fresh outbreaks.
  • Options
    TimT said:

TimT said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

I disagree.

So why is a Canada-style agreement taken off the table? And spare me the proximity argument.
    Given the fact that the UK economy is already much, much more connected to the pan-european economy, the UK is aiming for a new legal status that can sustain a significant share of that entanglement. That's much more than CETA could provide and requires much more adherence to common regulation.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

stodge said:

Although it’s hard to escape the sense this is more due to a sense of panic that Welsh Labour’s support is slipping and their desire to project Drakeford as a strong and independent figure, rather than any realistic appraisal of the likely results.
    I heard Drakeford today and he was all over the place trying to say that he hoped his roadmap would contribute to the debate but accepted that all four parts of the union would follow the same policies.

To be honest I have no liking for him but he doesn't really say anything that HMG would
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,854
    ydoethur said:

I suspect not - as with Nicola Sturgeon, this is part of preparing the public for the notion of lock down restrictions easing.

As the thread header suggested, fear still stalks and rules the land with the majority willing to stay indoors in the belief only by staying at home can they stay healthy because no one wants this virus and for all the statistical outpourings on here about how most people under 40 aren't a risk, there have been deaths and people generally don't want to bet their lives.

How do you break that fear when it was so strongly and thoroughly instilled in us not so long ago? It won't be easy - walking round in masks keeping apart from each other won't feel like "normal" and no one can pretend it is normal. The very fact of the continued restrictions implies there's still a threat and that will only continue to stoke the fear.

I do think we should try to walk down this road once - there's a lot of talk about mass testing but for all the hyperbole we seem a long way from me as a non-essential worker being able to get a test near my home.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    They aren't advisors to the UK government though? Surely they have input at the regional level though.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Andy_JS said:

RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

I have a bridge to sell you
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,418
    Scott_xP said:
    Doesn't it rather confirm that the Government *is* being guided by the science? Cummings is Boris' closest policy advisor. If he didn't attend SAGE but did still advise the Government that would be a bigger concern surely.
  • Options

TimT said:

TimT said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

I disagree.

But Matt, that is not what the EU is trying to do here. They are posturing that if you leave the club, not only won't you be eligible for member benefits,

but we'll make sure you won't even have as good a deal as certain other non-members. So it is more than just club membership benefits, it is about

scaring the current members into not even thinking about leaving.
    Given the fact that the UK economy is already much, much more connected to the pan-european economy, the UK is aiming for a new legal status that can sustain a significant share of that entanglement. That's much more than CETA could provide and requires much more adherence to common regulation.

So we’ll go WTO then.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,942
    RobD said:

They aren't advisors to the UK government though? Surely they have input at the regional level though.

The Chief Medical Officers have less standing than the SPADs.

That's really the defence...
  • Options
    Canada doesn't have a back door to the EU in the form of the Irish land border, and it doesn't need frictionless RoRo traffic at Dover.
    Different circumstances, different processes, different legal provisions required.
  • Options

Doesn't it rather confirm that the Government *is* being guided by the science? Cummings is Boris' closest policy advisor. If he didn't attend SAGE but did still advise the Government that would be a bigger concern surely.

SAGE is supposed to be a panel of scientists

And Dom...
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

Yes, he died in 2011.

Edit - this article is quite interesting on the little we do know and the possible implications of it.

https://www.newstatesman.com/world/asia/2020/04/unanswered-questions-surrounding-kim-jong-un
    Thanks.
    I thought that Kim didn't sound right. I actually started with Kim Il Sung before deleting it. Anyway, interesting article.
  • Options
    And of course it begs the question whether the "herd Immunity" science "changed" when Dom was unwell for 10 days...
  • Options

Canada doesn't have a back door to the EU in the form of the Irish land border, and it doesn't need frictionless RoRo traffic at Dover.
    Different circumstances, different processes, different legal provisions required.
    As has been said then, very regretably it will be WTO
  • Options
    welshowl said:

TimT said:

TimT said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

I disagree.

But Matt, that is not what the EU is trying to do here. They are posturing that if you leave the club, not only won't you be eligible for member benefits,

but we'll make sure you won't even have as good a deal as certain other non-members. So it is more than just club membership benefits, it is about

So we’ll go WTO then.
    That seems to be the plan. We will have to wait to find out whether the WTO will still be there as a fallback option in the future.
  • Options
    TimT said:

Foxy said:

Foxy, I've had doubts about the swab method of sample collection from the start and believe this may be a major cause of the very high PCR false negatives. I think two things might be at play here:

1. improper swabbing resulting in poor samples
    2. potential for infections with very little viral presence in the nasal areas

Grateful for your thoughts on both possibilities.
    I think poor swab technique is common (being done at many drive throughs, and I did my own too!)

It is common experience from the beginning that patients could have several negative swabs before testing positive, Dr Wen Liang, the original Wuhan doctor who raised alarm for example. It was also well described in all the early papers, hence the Chinese use of Chest CT scans for early diagnosis.

I think washings taken at broncoscopy yield more reliable results, but rarely done here. CT neither.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,779

You are talking to someone who is a liberal one nation conservative who has twice voted labour as HYUFD constantly reminds me and do not see any other party as relevant to take us through covid and yes, brexit, but hopefully with a deal

I think we're back to a situation where Labour is an acceptable, if unwise, voting choice. (2007 was the last time)

If the LDs get themselves organised (I can't imagine anyone knows what they're up to!) we'll have a functioning democracy again.

• Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,735

Monkeys said:

It was always nonsense because what we needed isnt lots of immigrants earning £30-£50k - those jobs have plenty of interest from people already here. The jobs that arent getting filled are mostly above and below those ranges, above for specialist positions where there are gaps and below because the jobs tend to be neither fun nor well paid so people dont want to do them. But the jobs need to be done, so immigration in the hundreds of thousands will continue to be needed.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,992

The Withdrawal Agreement ensured no hard border in Ireland
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Our Brexit stockpile turned into our Covid stockpile. It will be exhausted by actual real Brexit day.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited April 2020

TimT said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

I disagree.

The current members are the ones deciding the approach. Do you think they are deliberately trying to intimidate themselves?
    This might not be as illogical as you're implying!

I don't know if you've ever studied game theory but have you ever come across the concept of "burning money"? I don't mean à la the KLF, but sometimes it's beneficial to deliberately damage your own pay-offs because you can reach a better equilibrium this way. It works successfully in games like Bach or Stravinsky aka Opera or Football aka Battle of the Sexes. It is essentially the same as intertemporal commitment problems like the smoker or swearer trying to give up, who knows that tomorrow their incentives will encourage them to take it up again, so they try to alter their future incentives eg via a swear jar or its cigarette equivalent. One might even argue it's particularly relevant to governments seeking intertemporal commitment because they know that the country they govern will, in future, be run by other people with different opinions and incentives, so they would like to find ways to bind them.
  • Options
    MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755
    Scott_xP said:

SAGE is supposed to be a panel of scientists

And Dom...
    https://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20120907150455/http://www.dh.gov.uk/ab/SPI/DH_120535

Not just scientists.

• Options
    Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

Yes, he died in 2011.

Thanks.
    I thought that Kim didn't sound right. I actually started with Kim Il Sung before deleting it. Anyway, interesting article.
    You did slightly better than one American ambassador to Beijing, who on seeing the then North Korean boss at a function spoke of having met ‘Kim Jong the Second.’
  • Options

welshowl said:

TimT said:

TimT said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

I disagree.

So we’ll go WTO then.
    That seems to be the plan. We will have to wait to find out whether the WTO will still be there as a fallback option in the future.
    I think the WTO is pretty defunct already, with Trump refusing to allow appointments to adjudication tribunals rendering them inquorate.

It will be everyone for themselves after Covid-19, equivalent to the 1930s trade wars after the Wall St Crash.
This discussion has been closed.