Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Other 2020 US Elections – the Democratic party fight to ta

Comments

• Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,881

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

As previously menshed on here, keep an eye on Mexico. Deaths spiralling. 197 today

Also Peru, and maybe Canada

If it does wild in Mexico City...it will be carnage. 20 million people, high population density, shit air quality, no way have capacity to cope.
    Yes, as I said some time ago, Mexico is a perfect storm waiting to happen. Add in massive corruption, widespread violence. Dire poverty. Bad health care. And obesity

Also, if it kicks off there it means we can kiss goodbye to seasonality once and for all. It’s been hot and pretty sunny there for some time
    Scratching my head about India. There is no way people can socially isolate there. Perhaps just not recording properly.
    Millions die in India every day - or so it feels. Plus they are much younger and much less likely to be obese. And yes, are they even testing?

The advantage of being a huge poor third world country. They won’t really notice the Rona
    A couple of weeks old, admittedly:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-52283748

Coronavirus: How India's Kerala state 'flattened the curve'
    A good link. Despite Eadric’s desperation to patronise developing countries, a lot of them are very used to dealing with contagious viruses and are well able to swing low tech plans into action very quickly. It is the same in Africa - which was attracting similar comments not so long ago - yet a fair few African countries had their travel bans and isolation plans in place before the UK decided to act.
    It's a point (Dr not former Chancellor) Phil Hammond has been making for a while. This outbreak is a public health problem, and the things that help are primarily about public health stuff (hygiene, contact tracing, general wellbeing) more than hospitals. And the UK has been rubbish for those for ages.
    When a tweet from Dr Hammond was posted on PB in March, he was a) unknown to most PBers, and 2) unfairly castigated as a nut job.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,914
    In that Telegraph headline, Starmer displays an ease with patriotism that Corbyn never, ever possessed - or was interested in acquiring.
  • Options
    humbuggerhumbugger Posts: 377
    The Telegraph's front page will be very badly received by its readers especially when they see Starmer has used the 8pm clap for key workers as as photo op stunt.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,929
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

Lady Starmer is genuinely quite sexy if you like north london social x rays

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10676105/keir-starmers-wife-victoria-children/

Must have been a scorcher when she was 24

Yes I think she would be the best looking PM's spouse we have ever had, almost Jackie Kennedy like.
    You need your eyes tested!
    Well she certainly beats Cherie Blair and Samantha Cameron or Philip May and Dennis Thatcher if looks alone are the criteria (though on that basis Melania Trump would be the best First Lady now, being even more beautiful than Jackie Kennedy was)
    You accuse others of needing their eyes testing?
  • Options

tyson said:

Labour in Wales just tweeted schools will remain closed to 1st June and expect very unlikely they will go back before the autumn term

It would be madness to bring schools back for a month or so in June at a time when we might just be getting onto of this thing....
    Yeah I don't see much point returning schools before the autumn except for the kids mental health though not for education I wonder if it might be a good thing. Education wise this academic year is a wash out but not seeing friends etc to the autumn is going to be one hell of a f###img long summer.
    I really think schools should go back in early June. My nieces and nephews are at their wits end . They need to be with other children
    My children have taken it well so far but yesterday my daughter was quite upset saying she misses her school friends and Rainbows friends.

If the schools don't go back in June then it will be September when they can at the soonest realistically. That's half a year without mixing with other children like normal, it is a long long time.
    Is it really entirely inconceivable to say 'let's cancel the holidays, instead we catch up with what has been lost'?
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,049

tyson said:

Labour in Wales just tweeted schools will remain closed to 1st June and expect very unlikely they will go back before the autumn term

It would be madness to bring schools back for a month or so in June at a time when we might just be getting onto of this thing....
    Yeah I don't see much point returning schools before the autumn except for the kids mental health though not for education I wonder if it might be a good thing. Education wise this academic year is a wash out but not seeing friends etc to the autumn is going to be one hell of a f###img long summer.
    I really think schools should go back in early June. My nieces and nephews are at their wits end . They need to be with other children
    My children have taken it well so far but yesterday my daughter was quite upset saying she misses her school friends and Rainbows friends.

If the schools don't go back in June then it will be September when they can at the soonest realistically. That's half a year without mixing with other children like normal, it is a long long time.
    I get this too from colleagues at work too...it's almost like...we've done our 7 weeks, let's move on...... they are now talking about where they are going on summer holidays.....

The messaging from the Govt is shocking......do people understand anything about anything?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    tyson said:

tyson said:

Let's get this clear...your nieces and nephews are at their wits end...therefore we should open schools...don't worry about the lockdown, a second spike, the long term impact on the economy, the chaos this could bring....forget the stress of the last 7 weeks...let's just go for it because...well because......good plan comrade based on...sweet fuck all...

How is your missus coping? Is she sharing some of that PPE that she was being over allocated?
    You don't care about children's mental health?

I can't decide on if I think schools should reopen or not. It's not an easy decision. I'm erring to no but recognise the mental health effect on a generation of children is concerning.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,329
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

Yes I think she would be the best looking PM's spouse we have ever had, almost Jackie Kennedy like.
    Well she certainly beats Cherie Blair and Samantha Cameron or Philip May and Dennis Thatcher if looks alone are the criteria (though on that basis Melania Trump would be the best First Lady now, being even more beautiful than Jackie Kennedy was)
    Can you show the polling to back that up ... ?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,197
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

Well she certainly beats Cherie Blair and Samantha Cameron
    She is nothing on SamCam!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

I wouldn't say she beats either Samantha or Carrie in that department.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,838
    edited May 2020
    dodrade said:

Lawks. When was the last time that the Telegraph was this positive about anything that a Labour politician said?
    They've been surprisingly very critical of the government recently, not a popular line among the readership judging by the comments.
    None of the media seem to think that “Keep Calm and Carry On” is going to sell newspapers or generate clicks.

Starmer has of course repaid the DT’s faith in him, by making a prat of himself on TV tonight.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,329
    humbugger said:

The Telegraph's front page will be very badly received by its readers especially when they see Starmer has used the 8pm clap for key workers as as photo op stunt.

What else is clapping if not a piece of staged demonstrative symbolism ?
  • Options

tyson said:

Is it really entirely inconceivable to say 'let's cancel the holidays, instead we catch up with what has been lost'?
    Are you trying to get the award for the dumbest post of pbCOM ever?

My theory is more coherent...it's this....we'll invent time travel and get someone to whack that dodgy bat in Wuhan in November....
  • Options
    And herein lies the problem of being all things to all people. Brexiter, liberal Tory, friend of the WWC, friend of big business. And small businesses. And the old and the young. And the self employed. Etc.,etc.
    Your supporters tend to believe you think exactly like they do.
    Sunday Boris has to disappoint somebody. And, over the next few months he is going to have to annoy a whole lot more.

• Options

tyson said:

Yes. Once this is over and it's safe to do so people will deserve a proper holiday. Especially key workers who've got time booked off to match the summer holidays.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,348

tyson said:

tyson said:

Let's get this clear...your nieces and nephews are at their wits end...therefore we should open schools...don't worry about the lockdown, a second spike, the long term impact on the economy, the chaos this could bring....forget the stress of the last 7 weeks...let's just go for it because...well because......good plan comrade based on...sweet fuck all...

How is your missus coping? Is she sharing some of that PPE that she was being over allocated?

I can't decide on if I think schools should reopen or not. It's not an easy decision. I'm erring to no but recognise the mental health effect on a generation of children is concerning.
    Early June is a month away. Not quite as far away as the start of lockdown, but getting close. If the numbers are really well down by then, and testing and tracking is working, it may feel different and safe in a way it doesn't yet.

To be honest, a July restart, even if it's only for three weeks, might be worthwhile for the children. For social rather than academic reasons.
  • Options
    humbuggerhumbugger Posts: 377
    Nigelb said:

humbugger said:

For millions it's a genuine expression of thanks and support for key workers. For Starmer it's an opportunity to make sure the photographers have got a snap of his best side, and when they have, he can stop clapping. Nauseating cynicism.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,919

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

@Black_Rook

What is a huge spike in R? Is it to 1.5? Is it to 2.5? Is it to 4.0?

If modest social distancing keeps R to 1.5, which I don't think is an unreasonable expectation, then we will see infected numbers growing relatively slowly off a small base.

That seems like a win to me.

I'd be guessing, but an R not very much above 1.0 will, presumably, be enough to trigger an explosive growth in cases given how many there still are in the community, and how ineffectual the measures to contain disease hotspots in hospitals and care homes are likely to prove. Certainly the total number of active cases isn't going to reduce to a very low level within any reasonable sort of a timeframe - we know from the briefings that thousands are still being confirmed every day, and the majority of the mild cases and almost all of the asymptomatic ones will never be identified by testing.

The easing of lockdown will be forced by economic necessity, frustration and desperation, it will inevitably be badly handled, and the massacre that we've been trying to avoid all along will come to pass.
    I don't share your concerns.

Firstly, look at Sweden. Yes, they have a higher death rate than us. But it's far from off the charts, and the numbers are coming down.

Secondly, small changes in R make a massive difference. An R of 3 and a 10 day infectious period means you increase your caseload 27 times in a month. An R of 1.5 - which is probably three times the current level - and you're only talking about a tripling in a month.

There are lots of things we can do - short of total lockdown - that result in Rs well below the February / early March levels. Simply wearing masks in shops and on public transport and washing hands make a massive difference.
    Sweden's fatality rate isn't higher than the UK's.
    And do you really believe that the R0 is 0.5 currently in the UK?
    Sweden also benefits from a population density one tenth of that of Britain and, insofar as I understand it, a governing class that isn't entirely incompetent and useless.
    Sweden's population density is a function of a lot of uninhabited space between human settlements. Grade of urbanisation is much more relevant, and that is largely comparable.
    Spot on.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850

In that Telegraph headline, Starmer displays an ease with patriotism that Corbyn never, ever possessed - or was interested in acquiring.

Great to have an opposition front bench again that isn't scary or dangerous.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,890
    stodge said:

isam said:

stodge said:

Evening all :)

I'm of the view May would have easily seen off Corbyn in a 2020 election assuming the WA had gone through the Commons and we were well advanced on an FTA deal.

She would not have been able to breach the "red wall" to the extent Johnson did but I could still imagine a 30-40 seat majority with a better LD performance given Corbyn looking unlikely to be Prime Minister.

Perhaps interesting to speculating on a post election May Cabinet and whether she would serve a full term as Prime Minister.

I’ve just learned he was beating her on ‘best PM’ polling by the end
    That was in 2017 - would the 2020 campaign have been the same? History rarely repeats itself except first as tragedy and then as farce.

May, like Thatcher, lost the confidence of the Parliamentary Party and that was the end for her.

It was in 2019
  • Options
    tyson said:

tyson said:

My theory is more coherent...it's this....we'll invent time travel and get someone to whack that dodgy bat in Wuhan in November....
    Apologies for being so obviously dumb.
    There's some tentative discussion around that topic here, not sure what will become of that. The Bundesländer hold the competence for education, some might be inclined to do their experiments. Again, I'm not sure whether it will be done, but at least some people are discussing it.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,883

tyson said:

Teaching unions? I can't see it ever happening.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,881

tyson said:

But that is not what is happening here in Germany. The Abitur exams are taking place now, and the older pupils are back at school, albeit with classrooms at half capacity.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    President Donald Trump has told reporters that coronavirus testing at the White House will be increased from once a week to once per day after an aide who works in close contact with Trump tested positive for the virus.

CNN reported that the infected person, who is in the US Navy, was a personal valet to Trump

I have been shocked from the start how little it appears world leaders are being shielded. Obviously Boris, Trump always surrounded by people, Merkel doctor carrying it, etc.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,162
    Clapgate: like I said earlier, it's all virtue signalling
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850

tyson said:

tyson said:

Early June is a month away. Not quite as far away as the start of lockdown, but getting close. If the numbers are really well down by then, and testing and tracking is working, it may feel different and safe in a way it doesn't yet.

To be honest, a July restart, even if it's only for three weeks, might be worthwhile for the children. For social rather than academic reasons.
    The start of June is a million years away. As you say, by then half of Europe will be back at school, the Bundesliga's on Sky and we've been having picnics on the beach. Schools re-opening even here will not be inconceivable.
  • Options
    edbedb Posts: 65
    I think primary schools in particular should be opened this term for mental health reasons. To a lesser extent, of the parents as well as the kids. Just to see all their mates again and remember what school is. Wouldnt have to be every day full time, or hardcore lessons.

One good thing about this plan is that actually you get to find out if its really true that young kids dont really transmit this thing or suffer much from it. Worst case scenario, its a disaster, infections increase - but school is out in july anyway, and you have a lot more data from running that short experiment. So it is quite controlled/limited.

I think the biggest problem with the plan is potentialy some kids and teachers going on strike.
  • Options
    eadric said:

tyson said:

My older daughter is suffering. She is very shy, but bright and resilient, and recently she was coming out of her shell. Now I fear she is retreating. She says she misses her friends. Kids are taking this badly.

My youngest I'm worried about more, she's not started school yet (will in the autumn) but had just started full time nursery. She's been very independently minded since a baby but never been much of a talker though we try and encourage it as much as we can. Her speech was coming along leaps and bounds since she started nursery full time.

Still encouraging her to talk as much as I can but it's not the same thing and it's hard to get her big sister not to do all the talking for them. These are valuable preschool months she's lost.
  • Options
    eadric said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

There's some tentative discussion around that topic here, not sure what will become of that. The Bundesländer hold the competence for education, some might be inclined to do their experiments. Again, I'm not sure whether it will be done, but at least some people are discussing it.
    It’s a good idea, and it should be discussed in the UK, too
    The famously flexible teaching unions will never go for it in the UK.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,935

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

Nick Clegg's wife was more elegant than SamCam who was horsey posh
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

Nick Clegg's wife was more elegant than SamCam who was horsey posh
    Are you sure? Are you going to publish a poll supporting that? :lol:
  • Options
    gettingbettergettingbetter Posts: 476

tyson said:

tyson said:

it would do our children a lot of good to go to nursery. 3 days a week would be fine. and to open the outside playgrounds. is there really much risk with them? i suspect the main risk is from the parents gossiping rather than the children playing.
  • Options
    matthiasfromhamburgmatthiasfromhamburg Posts: 957
    edited May 2020
    eristdoof said:

tyson said:

But that is not what is happening here in Germany. The Abitur exams are taking place now, and the older pupils are back at school, albeit with classrooms at half capacity.
    Here in Hamburg there are discussions about at least cutting into the summer holidays, Schleswig-Holstein, too, albeit not much in the media.
  • Options
    eadric said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

Obviously E your knowledge of how the public sector runs is slightly less than the square root of fuck all....but it's a great idea all the same Baldrick.....
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Alistair said:

FTPT

isam said:

I think everyone is in agreement on this.
    He shows how people can simply present the actual data, comparatively, and without any agenda attached.
    When I first started posting them, he was labelled a ‘half glass full’ merchant

He's always been extremely bullish on Sweden's lagged figures - keeps forecasting steady downward movement based on figures that get revised higher and higher. In space of a few days he's gone from "well down" and "continued downward trend" to "no sign of any increase".
    No sign of increase is positive for something that's meant to be exponentially growing.

Remarkable that not locked down Sweden isn't seeing an increase while locked down America has been.
    This Swedish bloke (who appears to be in favour of the Swedish approach in general) is trying to forecast the final daily totals base on the revisions we have seen. He is forecasting a rise in deaths - I think that is pessimistic and we will see it hold steady.

https://adamaltmejd.se/covid/
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

I wouldn't say she beats either Samantha or Carrie in that department.
    Carrie is OK but more Tatler Home Counties
  • Options
    The UK government were truly radical, they could use this as an opportunity to shift the school calendar so we could move to post a-level results applications to unis come 2021 or 2022.

One of the biggest things they could do for social mobility.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    eadric said:

I stopped clapping last week. It’s naff and a bit fascistic
    There is another clap tomorrow for the remaining WW2 veterans at 3pm followed by Vera Lynn singing 'We'll meet again' at 9pm
  • Options
    eadric said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

Wouldn't that be an appropriate occasion to show some of that 'Blitz Spirit'?
  • Options
    eadric said:

tyson said:

eadric said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

Obviously E your knowledge of how the public sector runs is slightly less than the square root of fuck all....but it's a great idea all the same Baldrick.....
    We’re in a war-like crisis. If the school have to open for a fortnight in the “summer holidays” why the fuck not, if it helps the kids and parents. It’s not like anyone is going to Majorca. We will all have to pay a price for this. I imagine mine will be hideous new taxes. So be it. Teachers might have to teach in August
    Perhaps you can ask Hancocks's volunteer force of 750,000 volunteers to run it....

The ministry of silly ideas is certainly in creative mode....
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,288
    eadric said:

Very sensible, Eadric. Stay at home and avoid the clap.
  • Options

eadric said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

Wouldn't that be an appropriate occasion to show some of that 'Blitz Spirit'?

Satire alert....

I'm off to bed with all this nonsense.....
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,557

The UK government were truly radical, they could use this as an opportunity to shift the school calendar so we could move to post a-level results applications to unis come 2021 or 2022.

Why would those in power want to promote social mobility?

Of course they pretend they are all for it but really why on earth would they be in favour? They and their families can only be losers from social mobility.
  • Options

eadric said:

If I could have put multiple likes for that....good night comrade....
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,953
    humbugger said:

Nigelb said:

humbugger said:

For millions it's a genuine expression of thanks and support for key workers. For Starmer it's an opportunity to make sure the photographers have got a snap of his best side, and when they have, he can stop clapping. Nauseating cynicism.
    Well..

https://twitter.com/WillDHislop/status/1258457955189641224?s=20
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,346
    eadric said:

tyson said:

eadric said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

We’re in a war-like crisis. If the school have to open for a fortnight in the “summer holidays” why the fuck not, if it helps the kids and parents. It’s not like anyone is going to Majorca. We will all have to pay a price for this. I imagine mine will be hideous new taxes. So be it. Teachers might have to teach in August
    Great idea but teachers will never stand for it, they will need a rest
  • Options
    MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755
    Do you think the government will be dumping fake data into some outputs for the NHS app, such as "Bob Xylophone, Trumpton, has Duckpox," so if it turns up in the wrong places we can track where it came from, and where they got it from?
  • Options
    gettingbettergettingbetter Posts: 476

agreed but why not change the university calendar to the calendar year?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,557

eadric said:

Ah but which home?
  • Options

Of course they pretend they are all for it but really why on earth would they be in favour? They and their families can only be losers from social mobility.
    Well Gove & Big Dom were very keen on it when they ran education department. The "blob" and even more crucially unis pushed back.

Then 2019 GE Labour thought it was a good idea.
  • Options
    eadric said:

tyson said:

eadric said:

tyson said:

eadric said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

Perhaps you can ask Hancocks's volunteer force of 750,000 volunteers to run it....

Er, we have about a million teachers, employed by the state, who have job security and nice pensions and are in no risk of being furloughed or laid off. Also they have been largely sitting on their arses for six weeks.

Asking them to teach in August, in return, is not like driving slaves. They are lucky
    More importantly teachers care about their kids. You don't go into teaching if you hate children. If a decision was made to open schools for a fortnight for the welfare of children then I think almost all teachers would happily volunteer to do their part for that.
  • Options

Depends who they are, Priti Patel and Keir Starmer for example are not from posh backgrounds.

If you are genuinely posh as Alan Clark said you don't need to buy your own furniture anyway but inherit everything so social mobility is no threat as you don't really need to work
  • Options

Because we live in the northern hemisphere.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    @humbugger keyworkers don't want a f*cking clap, they want a payrise and proper PPE.
  • Options
    LucyJonesLucyJones Posts: 651
    eadric said:

eadric said:

tyson said:

My older daughter is suffering. She is very shy, but bright and resilient, and recently she was coming out of her shell. Now I fear she is retreating. She says she misses her friends. Kids are taking this badly.

My youngest I'm worried about more, she's not started school yet (will in the autumn) but had just started full time nursery. She's been very independently minded since a baby but never been much of a talker though we try and encourage it as much as we can. Her speech was coming along leaps and bounds since she started nursery full time.

Still encouraging her to talk as much as I can but it's not the same thing and it's hard to get her big sister not to do all the talking for them. These are valuable preschool months she's lost.
    I empathise. Kids need school for more than just lessons

I imagine posters worrying here about their own kids and their friends'/relatives kids are mostly thinking of children who basically have a fairly comfortable middle-class lifestyle. There are too many children out there whose home lives are chaotic, to say the least, and for whom teachers are almost like social workers. It's for children like these that schools need to reopen as soon as is feasible.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,618

eadric said:

tyson said:

eadric said:

tyson said:

eadric said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

Er, we have about a million teachers, employed by the state, who have job security and nice pensions and are in no risk of being furloughed or laid off. Also they have been largely sitting on their arses for six weeks.

Asking them to teach in August, in return, is not like driving slaves. They are lucky
    More importantly teachers care about their kids. You don't go into teaching if you hate children.
    Well, you don't stay in teaching if you hate children anyway.

• Options
    eadric said:

tyson said:

eadric said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

Teachers are teaching now. My grandson is getting lessons each day from his teacher, who then marks them, sends out messages to encourage, improve etc, and also does face to face sessions with individual class members and groups.

• Options
    eadric said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

@Black_Rook

If modest social distancing keeps R to 1.5, which I don't think is an unreasonable expectation, then we will see infected numbers growing relatively slowly off a small base.

I'd be guessing, but an R not very much above 1.0 will, presumably, be enough to trigger an explosive growth in cases given how many there still are in the community, and how ineffectual the measures to contain disease hotspots in hospitals and care homes are likely to prove. Certainly the total number of active cases isn't going to reduce to a very low level within any reasonable sort of a timeframe - we know from the briefings that thousands are still being confirmed every day, and the majority of the mild cases and almost all of the asymptomatic ones will never be identified by testing.

The easing of lockdown will be forced by economic necessity, frustration and desperation, it will inevitably be badly handled, and the massacre that we've been trying to avoid all along will come to pass.

Firstly, look at Sweden. Yes, they have a higher death rate than us. But it's far from off the charts, and the numbers are coming down.

Secondly, small changes in R make a massive difference. An R of 3 and a 10 day infectious period means you increase your caseload 27 times in a month. An R of 1.5 - which is probably three times the current level - and you're only talking about a tripling in a month.

There are lots of things we can do - short of total lockdown - that result in Rs well below the February / early March levels. Simply wearing masks in shops and on public transport and washing hands make a massive difference.
    Sweden also benefits from a population density one tenth of that of Britain and, insofar as I understand it, a governing class that isn't entirely incompetent and useless.
    Sweden's population density is a function of a lot of uninhabited space between human settlements. Grade of urbanisation is much more relevant, and that is largely comparable.
    Spot on.
    What isn’t comparable is Swedish social etiquette. They are extremely reserved, distant reticent and quiet. Unless very very drunk. They make the Brits look like Andalusians, or Jamaicans

Walk into the average Swedish pub and it’s like they are all talking about Mum’s recent cancer diagnosis
    You've clearly never been to Sturecompagniet at 2am.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

@Black_Rook

Spot on.
    What isn’t comparable is Swedish social etiquette. They are extremely reserved, distant reticent and quiet. Unless very very drunk. They make the Brits look like Andalusians, or Jamaicans

Walk into the average Swedish pub and it’s like they are all talking about Mum’s recent cancer diagnosis
    You've clearly never been to Sturecompagniet at 2am.
    "Unless very very drunk."
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    40% of Sweden's home are single occupancy. The UK is 29%.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,953
    kle4 said:

eadric said:

tyson said:

eadric said:

tyson said:

eadric said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

More importantly teachers care about their kids. You don't go into teaching if you hate children.
    Well, you don't stay in teaching if you hate children anyway.

Unless you were my metalwork teacher.

But he had been 'in the war'.
  • Options
    eadric said:

eadric said:

tyson said:

eadric said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

We’re in a war-like crisis. If the school have to open for a fortnight in the “summer holidays” why the fuck not, if it helps the kids and parents. It’s not like anyone is going to Majorca.
    e will all have to pay a price for this. I imagine mine will
    be hideous new taxes. So be it. Teachers might have to teach in August
    Teachers are teaching now. My grandson is getting lessons each day from his teacher, who then marks them, sends out messages to encourage, improve etc, and also does face to face sessions with individual class members and groups.

I know, my daughter does it. But it is unsatisfactory on so many levels.
    I agree. I doubt teachers are enjoying it very much. But they are working. It will be hell from them when the schools do go back. The kids will have lost the habit of being taught in class and there will be huge mental health issues to deal with. It’s going to take a huge amount of time, effort and support to get things back on track.

• Options
    Alistair said:

Wow that is a surprising figure and a massive difference. That should definitely be a relevant figure up there with urbanised population density.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,142

Alistair said:

Wow that is a surprising figure and a massive difference. That should definitely be a relevant figure up there with urbanised population density.
    Nearly half the country lives alone? Wow!
  • Options
    edited May 2020

eadric said:

tyson said:

eadric said:

tyson said:

eadric said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

More importantly teachers care about their kids. You don't go into teaching if you hate children. If a decision was made to open schools for a fortnight for the welfare of children then I think almost all teachers would happily volunteer to do their part for that.
    I don't think you quite realise just how worried teachers are about getting infected and so, infecting their own families....and exposure to large amounts of kids in small spaces doesn't quiet cut it....

Everything hinges now on a vaccine.to return to any semblance of normality..sadly we have shut the door after the horse bolted....

• Options

Alistair said:

In Sweden they have help to buy type scheme on steroids.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,002

Why does that make a difference? Surely the academic year could be any arbitrary period of 12 months
  • Options
    Professionals clearly running LOTO office now.

Looking at focus group reports from GE 2019. What's one of the main feedbacks from our heartlands? Corbyn hates his own country and its history.

Starmer now rectifying.

• Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,135
    tyson said:

eadric said:

tyson said:

eadric said:

tyson said:

eadric said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

I don't think you quite realise just how worried teachers are about getting infected and so, infecting their own families....and exposure to large amounts of kids in small spaces doesn't quiet cut it....

Everything hinges now on a vaccine.to return to any semblance of normality..sadly we have shut the door after the horse bolted....

We had an email from school today that broadly said "if there's any hint of schools reopening in government Comms over the weekend, don't even think about asking us about it because we will be considering what our response is going to be."
  • Options
    edited May 2020

Alistair said:

87.6% of Swedish people who died from Covid were aged 70 or over. It’s probably all to do with care homes. Everyone under 70 has been allowed out

• Options

Alistair said:

Sounds a bit bleak though. All those introverted Swedes sitting in their flats on their own every evening.
  • Options

Why does that make a difference? Surely the academic year could be any arbitrary period of 12 months
    Because you take the long summer holidays between academic years over the summer. There's a good reason southern hemisphere countries run on the calendar year while Northern hemisphere ones don't.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,346
    mwadams said:

tyson said:

eadric said:

tyson said:

eadric said:

tyson said:

eadric said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

We had an email from school today that broadly said "if there's any hint of schools reopening in government Comms over the weekend, don't even think about asking us about it because we will be considering what our response is going to be."
    So nurses, supermarket workers etc etc have to exposed to the public but teachers should not be exposed to children to whom this virus barely affects.
  • Options
    isam said:

Alistair said:

87.6% of Swedish people who died from Covid were aged 70 or over. It’s probably all to do with care homes. Everyone under 70 has been allowed out

A very very large number of over 70s don't live in care homes.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    isam said:

Alistair said:

Looks like roughly 35% of cases have been 70 or over. So the herd are getting it and surviving

• Options
    edited May 2020

isam said:

Alistair said:

A very very large number of over 70s don't live in care homes.
    Have you the figures to hand? A very, very large number of over 70s haven’t died
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    tyson said:

eadric said:

tyson said:

eadric said:

tyson said:

eadric said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

Just like doctors and nurses and bus drivers and care home staff and shelf stackers and checkout staff and . . . There's a lot of essential workers out there who are worried but still going in to work. I don't see why teachers would be any different if they were called upon.
  • Options
    Incidentally regarding care homes it's worth bearing in mind just how completely impossible social distancing is in a care home.

Not only do you have a large number of residents who need close personal care but you also have a large number of residents who will be incapable of understanding or remembering that there is a virus going on, that there needs to be distance and why. Then with families not visiting too and them potentially not understanding why . . . Dementia is a cruel, cruel illness and this is a cruel, cruel virus for those who are in care homes even with the best intentions in the world.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    quite the gaffe from Mr Forensic tonight. You'd think he'd be careful with his choice of words
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,035

eadric said:

eadric said:

tyson said:

eadric said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

We’re in a war-like crisis. If the school have to open for a fortnight in the “summer holidays” why the fuck not, if it helps the kids and parents. It’s not like anyone is going to Majorca.
    e will all have to pay a price for this. I imagine mine will
    be hideous new taxes. So be it. Teachers might have to teach in August

I know, my daughter does it. But it is unsatisfactory on so many levels.
    I agree. I doubt teachers are enjoying it very much. But they are working. It will be hell from them when the schools do go back. The kids will have lost the habit of being taught in class and there will be huge mental health issues to deal with. It’s going to take a huge amount of time, effort and support to get things back on track.

And the longer things are left the harder it will be.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,234
    On my lunchtime walk to the fish and chip shop yesterday I was surprised to see one of the schools had a group of children sitting in a circle in the playground, but then I remembered schools are still open for key workers. Cynics might say for childcare rather than education.
  • Options

On my lunchtime walk to the fish and chip shop yesterday I was surprised to see one of the schools had a group of children sitting in a circle in the playground, but then I remembered schools are still open for key workers. Cynics might say for childcare rather than education.

Not cynics. That's literally the stated reason.
  • Options
    eadric said:

Incidentally regarding care homes it's worth bearing in mind just how completely impossible social distancing is in a care home.

Not only do you have a large number of residents who need close personal care but you also have a large number of residents who will be incapable of understanding or remembering that there is a virus going on, that there needs to be distance and why. Then with families not visiting too and them potentially not understanding why . . . Dementia is a cruel, cruel illness and this is a cruel, cruel virus for those who are in care homes even with the best intentions in the world.

Tbh it would be a mercy if this virus took out the most demented
    And it would cut down the length of some of the PB threads.
  • Options

Well Gove & Big Dom were very keen on it when they ran education department. The "blob" and even more crucially unis pushed back.

They could move to post-A-level applications now if applications were fully computerised and did not involve interviews which waste students' and academics' time. It won't happen because of the need to ensure the Establishments' sprogs end up at Oxbridge.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

Tbh it would be a mercy if this virus took out the most demented
    And it would cut down the length of some of the PB threads.
    But subtract from the entertainment value. The coin always has two sides.
  • Options
    SagandSagand Posts: 35
    On the US Senate elections, the only state not mentioned that might change hands is Montana which puts incumbent Republican Senator Steve Daines against incumbent Democratic Governor Steve Bullock. Probably lean Republican being a Red state but early polls show it competitive and Democratic did hold on to the other Montana seat in the midterms.

The process also matters in Georgia. The Kelly Loeffler seat is a special election, so no primaries everyone on the same ballot in November and if no one reaches 50% there's a runoff in January. As it currently stands two Democrats and two Republicans are all polling in double digits so no chance of anyone reaching 50%. So who is going to win the seat is who is motivated to turn out again in January.

Betfair don't count Independents caucusing with the Democrats in the Senate Majority rules, so if Democrats lose Alabama they'd need to pick up seven other seats to win that market available to lay at 4 or bet no that they hold both senate and house at 1.33.
  • Options
    Attention PB Bobcats.
    Chatter about new Dylan song/album dropping tonight.
    False Prophet is the title.
  • Options

They could move to post-A-level applications now if applications were fully computerised and did not involve interviews which waste students' and academics' time. It won't happen because of the need to ensure the Establishments' sprogs end up at Oxbridge.
    University entrance is under review, though I'm not holding my breath.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/students-university-admissions-application-ucas-a-level-results-review-degree-place-a9361246.html
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    One for @TheScreamingEagles but a letter has been sent advocating credit card companies for eroticising sexual violence, incest and racism. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-52543508

Pornhub is to reply with a letter signed by 50 stepmoms to insist they don't.
  • Options

Alistair said:

Sounds a bit bleak though. All those introverted Swedes sitting in their flats on their own every evening.
    It sounds almost like Sweden is in permanent lockdown.
  • Options
    Sagand said:

On the US Senate elections, the only state not mentioned that might change hands is Montana which puts incumbent Republican Senator Steve Daines against incumbent Democratic Governor Steve Bullock. Probably lean Republican being a Red state but early polls show it competitive and Democratic did hold on to the other Montana seat in the midterms.

The process also matters in Georgia. The Kelly Loeffler seat is a special election, so no primaries everyone on the same ballot in November and if no one reaches 50% there's a runoff in January. As it currently stands two Democrats and two Republicans are all polling in double digits so no chance of anyone reaching 50%. So who is going to win the seat is who is motivated to turn out again in January.

Betfair don't count Independents caucusing with the Democrats in the Senate Majority rules, so if Democrats lose Alabama they'd need to pick up seven other seats to win that market available to lay at 4 or bet no that they hold both senate and house at 1.33.

Agreed re Betfair rules, that's why I focus on the Republican's more than 50 Senators markets.

Also good point on Georgia. I guess it's more than possible that Loeffler fails to make the top two, and who knows who'll be motivated to turn out in January.
  • Options
    eadric said:

Daily reminder that Boris STILL hasn’t closed the airports

“Air travel is the main driver of COVID-19 infection”

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8296417/Why-countries-shut-borders-Scientists-air-travel-main-driver-COVID-19-outbreaks.html

Exactly WHY NOT is one of the great mysteries. It seems to unite most on PB. And it cuts across traditional boundaries. Tories and Labour Leavers
    and Remainers. Lockuppers and Letfreeers.
  • Options
    eadric said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8296417/Why-countries-shut-borders-Scientists-air-travel-main-driver-COVID-19-outbreaks.html

The main driver?

Statistically that sounds unlikely.

Apparently there are 20,000 new cases of CV-19 a day in the UK (source: PB earlier today quoting a SAGE member), and air travel has virtually shut down. I'd be staggered if more than 50,000 people were arriving by air into the UK a day, it may well be a lot lower than that.

I can't work out how air travel could be the main driver, unless you think 50% of foreigners are CV-19 carriers.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,434
    How about this for an idea: put tolls on motorways, with the money raised being used to improve care home standards.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    dixiedean said:

eadric said:

Exactly WHY NOT is one of the great mysteries. It seems to unite most on PB. And it cuts across traditional boundaries. Tories and Labour Leavers
    and Remainers. Lockuppers and Letfreeers.
    Not just PBers but the general populace as well.

Yet the entire political and government establishment takes the opposite view.

A difference which is worthy of academic research.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

The main driver?

Statistically that sounds unlikely.

Apparently there are 20,000 new cases of CV-19 a day in the UK (source: PB earlier today quoting a SAGE member), and air travel has virtually shut down. I'd be staggered if more than 50,000 people were arriving by air into the UK a day, it may well be a lot lower than that.

I can't work out how air travel could be the main driver, unless you think 50% of foreigners are CV-19 carriers.
    Track back those infections and they will originate in someone bringing the virus into the country.

That's what the government allowed to happen because it thought that unrestricted flying was more important than lives.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

How about this for an idea: put tolls on motorways, with the money raised being used to improve care home standards.

Not a vote winner.
This discussion has been closed.