Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » What Brits are most looking forward to once the pandemic is ov

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited May 2020 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » What Brits are most looking forward to once the pandemic is over – YouGov

politicalbetting.com is proudly powered by WordPress with "Neat!" theme. Entries (RSS) and Comments (RSS).

Read the full story here

Comments

• Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    first?
  • TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    FPT

Here's the definition of R0:

"R0 tells you the average number of people who will contract a contagious disease from one person with that disease. It specifically applies to a population of people who were previously free of infection and haven’t been vaccinated."

So the R0 will be affected by behavioural changes, such as social distancing, but not by the level of immunity in the population, as by definition it is how it would spread absent immunity.

So I think Charlie's interpretation is correct. R0 is not affected by the level of immunity in the population, by definition.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    The ratio of workers:non-workers is, err, interesting.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    FPT @Kinabalu We await the Porton Down results to tell us how quickly the elephant and the gnat would theoretically trade identities but my guess would be 5 or 6 waves of what we've gone through now.
    A vaccination or simple mutation out of the virus will arrive first I think.
    Pulpstar said:

FPT @Kinabalu We await the Porton Down results to tell us how quickly the elephant and the gnat would theoretically trade identities but my guess would be 5 or 6 waves of what we've gone through now.
    A vaccination or simple mutation out of the virus will arrive first I think.

I very much doubt that it would take 5-6 waves.
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    tlg86 said:

I'd need a different category - "I was employed and now have for entirely unconnected reasons stopped working". I'm sure quite a few others would be in the same position.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,620
    TimT said:

FPT

"R0 tells you the average number of people who will contract a contagious disease from one person with that disease. It specifically applies to a population of people who were previously free of infection and haven’t been vaccinated."

So the R0 will be affected by behavioural changes, such as social distancing, but not by the level of immunity in the population, as by definition it is how it would spread absent immunity.

So I think Charlie's interpretation is correct. R0 is not affected by the level of immunity in the population, by definition.

Yes - what is effected is the R number for which the disease declines/expands.
  • EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,960

TimT said:

FPT

I absolutely hate how difficult it is to apply subscripts in electronic text, and the ambiguity it creates in situations like this.

R_sub_t is clearly understood, and then R_sub_0 is just the value prior to any policy or behavioural effect changes. R is (slightly sloppy but understandable) shorthand for R_sub_(current t)
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,770
    Weird, "getting away from the children" isn't on there.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    edited May 2020
    Nigelb said:
    It will make 2008 look tiny in comparison.

tlg86 said:

I'd need a different category - "I was employed and now have for entirely unconnected reasons stopped working". I'm sure quite a few others would be in the same position.
    The number is poorly reported. "Britons" - does that mean everyone? I presume so. So that includes those too young to work, the retired etc?
    rcs1000 said:

"Going to work".
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,013
    rcs1000 said:

Yes. Getting away from partner and children.

A long way away.

Just for a little bit...
  • BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884
    Endillion said:

TimT said:

FPT

I absolutely hate how difficult it is to apply subscripts in electronic text, and the ambiguity it creates in situations like this.

R_sub_t is clearly understood, and then R_sub_0 is just the value prior to any policy or behavioural effect changes. R is (slightly sloppy but understandable) shorthand for R_sub_(current t)
    Agreed but its not impossible:

R₀
    Rₜ
  • Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    edited May 2020
    tlg86 said:

Accounting for people of working age who are presently economically inactive or unemployed and looking for work, plus all the pensioners, 40% looks like a reasonable estimate of the total proportion of adults who aren't working.

I don't think that people always appreciate how vast the dependent population actually is - taking children into account as well, it's actually an outright majority (something like 55%.) It's no wonder that we struggled so badly, even before this disaster, to balance the books.

tlg86 said:

Accounting for people of working age who are presently economically inactive or unemployed and looking for work, plus all the pensioners, 40% looks like a reasonable estimate of the total proportion of adults who aren't working.

I don't think that people always appreciate how vast the dependent population actually is - taking children into account as well, it's actually an outright majority (something like 55%.) It's no wonder that we struggled so badly, even before this disaster, to balance the books.
    Sorry, I wasn't questioning the figures, though Alastair has spotted a gap. The interesting thing being that they are the way they are.

tlg86 said:

The number is poorly reported. "Britons" - does that mean everyone? I presume so. So that includes those too young to work, the retired etc?
    Presumably it's a survey of a representative sample of all adults.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,739
    Interesting point from Ian Dunt

BoZo and Dom made their reputation by repeating an untrue statement till people were sick of it, and they claimed the opposition repeating their untrue phrase helped them.

BoZo and Dom are now defending their care home crisis by saying you have to read the minutiae of the text, in a certain light, on specific days, under moonlight.

Live by the sword...
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    Has anybody told people that a lot of these activities aren't going to be possible for a significant time after lockdown & even then not going to be back to normal until a vaccine has been found i.e. going to the boozer where it must be no more than 25% full, you must only go with a couple of people and remain seated in your little area, isnt what most people go to the pub for.

TimT said:

FPT

Which is why the R number is used to calculate the percentage of the population that needs to be successfully vaccinated (or otherwise acquired immunity) to stamp out a disease.

Please note that vaccination success varies according to many factors. While the polio vaccine has been incredibly successful in most parts of the world, in the tribal areas of Pakistan, it has not - and not just because of socio-political opposition and warfare impeding actual vaccination efforts. Some kids have been vaccinated upwards of 10 times with no success because of nutritional and other biological factors.
    tlg86 said:

65+ is approx 16 % of the population
    unemployment is 4%
    economically inactive is ca. 20 %

that actually almost adds up perfectly!

what I have missed?

• Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    I didn't draft that letter for him, honest.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    Off topic. My partner has received confirmation of the self employed grant. And of the amount to be awarded. It appears to be correct.
    A remarkably hassle free, quick and efficient process much appreciated by 2 non-government fans.
    Although the money isn't banked yet.
    A small positive...

The figures show 3,242 new cases in the last day,

That lowest since March, and obviously when still only doing hospital only testing.
    dixiedean said:

Off topic. My partner has received confirmation of the self employed grant. And of the amount to be awarded. It appears to be correct.
    A remarkably hassle free, quick and efficient process much appreciated by 2 non-government fans.

The financial side of things seems to have been handled quite well e.g. no website crashes even after massive demand for the various schemes.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,002
    dixiedean said:

Good to hear to be honest
    Is this why the CPS were so crap at getting convictions on the paedo cases?

Is this why the CPS were so crap at getting convictions on the paedo cases?
    That was because they were busy chasing squirrels.
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,921
    dixiedean said:

Good to hear.
    I've had the same experience with the Furlough scheme and the Bounce back loans. Top marks the Treasury.
    I guess regardless of how descends into claim and counter claim, for Starmer it is job done. Bad headlines for the government, Boris bashed at PMQs. Bit like the dodgy Delboy dossier, by the time anybody actually checked these people were full of shit and neither PPE suppliers nor contacted the government properly, it had highlighted issues with PPE and story moved on.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772
    Argh
    It is. I'm looking forward to their explanation of the plot of Inception.
  • contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    40% in the survey were not employed before Corona

and yet until recently the UK was close to full employment with 70% plus in work....

???
  • BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    Quite. Almost as destructive as that Andrew Neil empty chair video... :smile:
    edited May 2020
    I've been watching the clucking about public transport on the news - which is, of course, all about London, London, London, London and London. I suspect that this is partly down the the usual media fixation on London, but also because it is going to struggle a lot more with restrictions to public transport than everywhere else.

I also believe it likely that the issue is largely internalised within London. I've just had a look out the window at the train station car park, here in a commuter belt town, and it is as deserted as it has been throughout the lockdown. There are currently three cars parked up; the usual number is between zero and five. The commuters are evidently still working from home.

My concern, therefore, is that it is by no means inconceivable that we'll get to a point in three or four weeks' time when this disease is, if not exactly dead as a doornail in most of the country, then only persisting at a low level - but that it's taking off again in London. If that comes to pass then I do hope the Government doesn't panic and try to lock everyone down again, when the problem is only confined to one corner of the country.

I guess regardless of how descends into claim and counter claim, for Starmer it is job done.

And BoZo has given him an opportunity to do it again

Starmer can reply to BoZo's letter repeating the accusation (Vote Leave Stylee)
  • EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,960
    I wonder how long he spent practising writing Keir so it looked as much like Keith as possible.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,065
    FPT
    Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

The fact that NHS hospitals discharged elderly patients diagnosed with coronavirus and sent them back into care homes is an appalling scandal. As Dominic Lawson wrote in the Sunday Times, it shames the nation. Heads must roll.

https://lockdownsceptics.org/

Were they diagnosed with COVID-19 or suspected and not tested?
    Manslaughter by negligence or by design ?

I'm going for negligence.
    Manslaughter "by design" sounds akin to murder.
    Hospitals here have never done exit tests iirc
    Why would they do them on people going back to care homes; get a positive result and still send them back ?!
    It's highly unlikely. They simply never tested on exit.
    I believe @Foxy posted a while back that his trust did; not sure when they started doing that though.
    The amended guidance does now require testing, I think.
    What was the date of that advice? If it occurred when there was established community spread...

Until a couple of weeks ago, capacity issues in my Trust for testing were such that we couldn't repeat tests. This means not testing before discharge, nor repeating a negative test when clinical suspicion remained. There was also the problem that results were often taking several days, so delaying discharges.

I suspect that we unintentionally sent positive patients home during the period when testing was restricted.

In some Trusts even known patients were discharged to care homes, assuming they could be barrier nursed.

To some extent this was because a larger peak of admissions expected, hence acute beds needed, and partly the culture of overcrowded wards is to discharge as soon as possible.

eadric said:

OMG

Ecuador-like scenes in Mexico (which I pointed to a few days ago, as a potential nightmare)

It is now a nightmare

"There is currently a three-day backlog for cremation at every public crematorium in the city and crematorium workers in recent days have indicated that more burials will have to take place because burning capacity is overwhelmed.

"Black smoke billows out over cemeteries as the ovens are cremating on an industrial level in the city but the bodies don't stop coming.

In fact, the ovens simply cannot cope and there are regular reports of breakdowns only adding to the backlog."

"The upward curve of death looks set to rocket, the health service can't cope and social distancing, let alone lockdown, is largely being ignored in Mexico City.

Short of a vaccine or a miracle, the effect on this society and this city could be utterly catastrophic"

https://news.sky.com/story/mexico-city-underreporting-covid-19-deaths-sky-news-analysis-finds-11987235

Brazil and Mexico going full herd immunity....
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,962

I guess regardless of how descends into claim and counter claim, for Starmer it is job done. Bad headlines for the government, Boris bashed at PMQs. Bit like the dodgy Delboy dossier, by the time anybody actually checked these people were full of shit and neither PPE suppliers nor contacted the government properly, it had highlighted issues with PPE and story moved on.

I am told that more than one pollster that asks the question 'What (Covid-19) news item have you noticed the most in the past week?' the runaway winner is that the UK has the second highest deaths in the world in totality.

Second is care homes.

Social media posts (particularly the ones on Facebook) are totally destroying the reputation of the government.

These users are older people who use Facebook to see pictures of their family, and now their friends are sharing posts that are about the death figures/disaster in care homes.
    As a civil servant, I would have been comfortable with the advice as written, but perhaps wishing in retrospect that I'd been even more meticulous in my wording. Perhaps something along the lines of:

"This guidance is intended for the current position in the UK where there is currently no transmission of COVID-19 in the community. Absent such community transmission, it is unlikely that anyone receiving care in a care home or the community will become infected. This is the latest information, and will be updated immediately as and when the situation evolves."

This would implicitly admit that the current information might not be complete or accurate, but imply that responses are being made in real time to the best available scientific evidence.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
    Good idea. Keep this in the news by pushing back like that. PR masterclass.
    Will Starmer draft a response in time for the evening news bulletins?
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,962
    Looks like I will not be using my Cineworld card anytime soon.

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1260607313565683714

40% in the survey were not employed before Corona

and yet until recently the UK was close to full employment with 70% plus in work....

???

It's presumably a survey of all adults so includes pensioners.

40% of all adults being either economically inactive, unemployed and looking for work or drawing their pension sounds about right.

I've been watching the clucking about public transport on the news - which is, of course, all about London, London, London, London and London. I suspect that this is partly down the the usual media fixation on London, but also because it is going to struggle a lot more with restrictions to public transport than everywhere else.

I also believe it likely that the issue is largely internalised within London. I've just had a look out the window at the train station car park, here in a commuter belt town, and it is as deserted as it has been throughout the lockdown. There are currently three cars parked up; the usual number is between zero and five. The commuters are evidently still working from home.

My concern, therefore, is that it is by no means inconceivable that we'll get to a point in three or four weeks' time when this disease is, if not exactly dead as a doornail in most of the country, then only persisting at a low level - but that it's taking off again in London. If that comes to pass then I do hope the Government doesn't panic and try to lock everyone down again, when the problem is only confined to one corner of the country.

Spoke to a couple of London pals today, and they confirmed its pretty busy in the city. Down here in metropolitan Dorset, its not.

I agree that any future tightening will likely have to be, and should only be, where it is necessary.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,574
    edited May 2020
    Foxy said:

FPT

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

The fact that NHS hospitals discharged elderly patients diagnosed with coronavirus and sent them back into care homes is an appalling scandal. As Dominic Lawson wrote in the Sunday Times, it shames the nation. Heads must roll.

Why would they do them on people going back to care homes; get a positive result and still send them back ?!
    I believe @Foxy posted a while back that his trust did; not sure when they started doing that though.
    What was the date of that advice? If it occurred when there was established community spread...

Until a couple of weeks ago, capacity issues in my Trust for testing were such that we couldn't repeat tests. This means not testing before discharge, nor repeating a negative test when clinical suspicion remained. There was also the problem that results were often taking several days, so delaying discharges.

I suspect that we unintentionally sent positive patients home during the period when testing was restricted.

In some Trusts even known patients were discharged to care homes, assuming they could be barrier nursed.

To some extent this was because a larger peak of admissions expected, hence acute beds needed, and partly the culture of overcrowded wards is to discharge as soon as possible.

The advice COVID-19 Hospital Discharge Service Requirements was published on the 19th March.
    Not reviewed until the 15th April.

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

FPT

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

The advice COVID-19 Hospital Discharge Service Requirements was published on the 19th March.
    That is an awfully long time between updates, given what evolved during that period.
  • Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,572
    Having come late to the last thread, I'll offer my 2p worth.

I think the Conservatives will follow something along the following lines in the run up to 2024:
    1. To focus on Johnson's supposed merits, even his popularity has waned by 2024.
    2. To ignore the opposition leader's (supposed) failings, other than as a by-product of trying to keep Brexit as a defining issue.
    3. To focus on the far left's influence instead, claiming that Starmer is merely a puppet of the far left who are still running the show.

The far left could certainly help the Conservatives with the latter if they show they can still carry the key votes on the NEC as happened in 1983.
    Mortimer said:

Spoke to a couple of London pals today, and they confirmed its pretty busy in the city. Down here in metropolitan Dorset, its not.

I agree that any future tightening will likely have to be, and should only be, where it is necessary.
    Likewise here, even though up in North Herts we're a lot closer to London. Definitely noticed an uptick in road traffic from the Bank Holiday onwards, but relative to before the crisis it is still very quiet.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,926
    Scott_xP said:
    The infantilisation of the Prime Minister continues. I used to post that Jeremy Corbyn's office might as well have been staffed entirely by Conservative sleeper agents. It is beginning to look like the reverse might be the case too.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    I think this is going to backfire for Starmer, he'll be seen as politicising the disaster unnecessarily and using selective quoting from PHE isn't a good look. The reply from the PM will get more airtime than the original accusation.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    On the self-employment thingummyjig, I got a letter about that today.

Doesn't actually affect me as I'm still working.
    MaxPB said:

I think this is going to backfire for Starmer, he'll be seen as politicising the disaster unnecessarily and using selective quoting from PHE isn't a good look. The reply from the PM will get more airtime than the original accusation.

https://twitter.com/RMCunliffe/status/1260604889970937856
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    Labour spokesman mucked up SKS "gotcha"

(To be fair, the Labour spokesman who sent out the quote to journalist as PMQs was happening sent out the section 1 version, not the section 7 version. But Starmer was quoted from the section 7 version.)

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2020/may/13/uk-coronavirus-live-millions-health-conditions-return-to-work-pmqs-covid-19-latest-news-updates?page=with:block-5ebc17948f08a55ecde594ea#block-5ebc17948f08a55ecde594ea
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,926
    MaxPB said:

You may be right. It will be interesting to know if Number 10 had half an eye on news timings when releasing its reply.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851
    Very useful exchange on PT about "R". Feel moved to summarize -

R0 = the theoretical spread assuming no behavioural changes and no immunity. This is the "pure" number. It's a constant unless the virus mutates.

R = the actual spread in the community given the behavioural changes and level of immunity which exists.

It is "R" that is constantly being quoted as the measure of interest. It must be below 1 for the virus not to spread.

And this is always the case. For example, it is NOT true to say that as immunity rises so does the R level at which the virus will not spread.

This is not true because R is calculated as the spread in practice - i.e. taking into account behavioural changes AND immunity.

If it's above 1, the virus is spreading, otherwise it's not. Or more accurately, if the virus is spreading, R is above 1, otherwise it isn't.

Pls see @FF43 post on PT for source material.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835

You don't have to be "not working" to apply. Merely "adversely affected."

Labour spokesman mucked up SKS "gotcha"

(To be fair, the Labour spokesman who sent out the quote to journalist as PMQs was happening sent out the section 1 version, not the section 7 version. But Starmer was quoted from the section 7 version.)

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2020/may/13/uk-coronavirus-live-millions-health-conditions-return-to-work-pmqs-covid-19-latest-news-updates?page=with:block-5ebc17948f08a55ecde594ea#block-5ebc17948f08a55ecde594ea

professionals
  • TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    edited May 2020
    MaxPB said:

Forensic (noun) - smart arse selective pinhead dancing for narrow political advantage. Smacks of untrustworthiness (see Brexit blocking).
  • StockyStocky Posts: 9,653

It`s not like the employed scheme. You can still be working and be entitled to claim. You just have to be affected by the virus to any extent.
    edited May 2020
    kinabalu said:

R0 = the theoretical spread assuming no behavioural changes and no immunity. This is the "pure" number. It's a constant unless the virus mutates.

R = the actual spread in the community given the behavioural changes and level of immunity which exists.

It is "R" that is constantly being quoted as the measure of interest. It must be below 1 for the virus not to spread.

And this is always the case. For example, it is NOT true to say that as immunity rises so does the R level at which the virus will not spread.

This is not true because R is calculated as the spread in practice - i.e. taking into account behavioural changes AND immunity.

If it's above 1, the virus is spreading, otherwise it's not. Or more accurately, if the virus is spreading, R is above 1, otherwise it isn't.

Erm, it is still spreading if the R is 0.1, given the number of cases in the community. I think you meant to say 'not spreading exponentially' unless the R is above 1....

TimT said:

FPT

I no longer think this is right. Please see my summary post on here and that of @FF43 on PT.

The 'not spreading' threshold for "R" (as it is defined) is in all circumstances 1.
    kinabalu said:

It`s easy to double-count the immunity - I think that is what you have concluded?

R already allows for the current level of immunity. If immunity subequently rises further, R falls as it diverges further from R0.
  • SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,879
    I want to go on holiday. Two weeks by the sea, just watching the sky, the shadows of the clouds on the water, listening to the sound of the waves rolling across the shingle, breathing the spray-fresh air, feeling the wind in my face. Actually, make it three weeks.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
    edited May 2020
    Bleak reading if you can't face four more years of Trump.

"The 2020 election, Kreiss predicted, will be “a big test of whether empirical reality will outweigh motivated partisan reasoning.” "

"If the test Kreiss anticipates does determine who our next president is, and if the digital world becomes a key battleground, as it certainly will, Democrats believe Joe Biden and his campaign need to be better prepared."

“Biden’s first virtual online chat got 5,000 people. Just one with Lara Trump gets 945,000.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/13/opinion/trump-digital-campaign.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage
    Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

FPT

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

Damning.

That was over a week after the end of the containment phase was over, and Test and Trace stopped, because we already had established community transmission.

Just listened to PMQs on catch up. Brutal, I see why Johnson ducks scrutiny when he can. He has 4 long years of this to get through before the next election.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Do you think it is helpful to draw incorrect conclusions based on faulty data?
    kinabalu said:

Not quite right in the final para.

Even with an R less than 1, the disease is spreading, but in a way that will burn itself out. Their can be quite a few new infections along the way.
  • Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    rcs1000 said:

For me, lockdown has had that beneficial effect...
  • BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    kinabalu said:

Thanks for that summary,

One extra complication not facterd in is how the weather/change in seasons might effect R.
    edited May 2020
    Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

Even with an R less than 1, the disease is spreading, but in a way that will burn itself out. Their can be quite a few new infections along the way.
    Decreasing in prevalence?
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279
    Why is it necessary for the media to inform us there's going to be a significant recession? It's like someone telling you things are going to get wet just before a tsunami hits the beach.
  • Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,793
    I genuinely don't get Boris's defence on this.

The guidance says "this will be updated shortly"
    Until it's updated, it remains valid.

It wasn't updated on the 26th of February, or the 27th. Or the 28th or 29th.

Or the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th of March.
    Or the 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, or 11th.

It was still up there, saying "there isn't any community transmission and we'll update this shortly" on the 12th of March.

If it was still up there saying the same thing today, would Boris be saying, "Aha, but it says it'll be updated shortly, so you can't use this against me!"
  • Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,572
    Scott_xP said:

MaxPB said:

https://twitter.com/RMCunliffe/status/1260604889970937856
    If "backfire" means Sir Keir being compared to Johnson in write-ups such as this in the Daily Telegraph (of all places!), he'll be very happy indeed:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/05/13/keir-starmer-took-boris-johnson-apart-like-duplo-train-set/

" The latest figures, began Sir Keir today, showed that at least 40 per cent of deaths from the virus had come in care homes. Yet according to the Government’s advice in March, it was “very unlikely” that people in care homes would become infected. Mr Johnson protested. “No, Mr Speaker,” be blurted, “it wasn’t true that the advice said that!” But it was. Sir Keir was quoting the advice word for word, from a sheet in paper in front of him.

Next he asked about the vast number of unexplained deaths in care homes. In April, there had been 26,000 care home deaths. The previous April, there had been only 8,000. Yet of these additional 18,000 deaths, only 8,000 had been officially attributed to the virus. Could Mr Johnson give the Government’s view as to the possible cause of those 10,000 “unexplained” deaths? Mr Johnson could not. In fact, it wasn’t obvious he’d understood the question. His reply was a cascade of helpless waffle. “Appalling disease… tragedy taking place… critical to our ability to move forward as a nation…”

On to the death toll overall. The Government, noted Sir Keir, had stopped producing the daily chart which plotted death tolls in various countries, including Britain. Why? “He seeks to make comparisons with other countries,” snorted Mr Johnson, “which I am advised are premature.” Sir Keir looked puzzled. The Government had been publishing these “comparisons with other countries” for seven weeks. “It’s pretty obvious,” he said, “that when we didn’t have the highest number of deaths in Europe, the graphs were used for comparison purposes. But as soon as we did have the highest number, they were dropped.”

It was tough to watch. Mr Johnson’s supporters might well say: who cares about PMQs? The Prime Minister has far more important things on his plate. He’s trying to tackle a pandemic, for pity’s sake. Which is true. The trouble is, all of Sir Keir’s questions were about the Prime Minister’s handling of that pandemic. About his Government’s advice, its actions, its figures, its findings."
    Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

It`s easy to double-count the immunity - I think that is what you have concluded?

R already allows for the current level of immunity. If immunity subequently rises further, R falls as it diverges further from R0.
    Right.

R0 is what it would be in the wild. 2.7 or whatever.

R is what it is in practice. Lower than 2.7 due to behaviour (distancing, masks etc) and to whatever level of immunity we have reached.

Below 1, virus in decline.
    Andy_JS said:

Why is it necessary for the media to inform us there's going to be a significant recession? It's like someone telling you things are going to get wet just before a tsunami hits the beach.

And yet Sunak couldn't help himself. Was it really necessary for him to explain the technical definition of a recession?
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,750

rcs1000 said:

For me, lockdown has had that beneficial effect...
    No need to rub it in. Particularly not after @DecrepiterJohnL thought I was you earlier...
    Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

Yes thanks. NET spreading is what I should have said.

Little comfort (!) to me if I get it knowing that R = 0.3 and it's on its way out.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,730
    edited May 2020
    MaxPB said:

Oh don't be silly, the public LOVE nit-picking lawyers getting a win on a technicality
  • AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    eadric said:

I fear the covid crisis is actually taking a turn for the WORSE. That is to say, as it now spreads into the Third World (look at India, slowly but surely picking up) we could see the Rona's ultimate ferocity, and we might see the really apocalyptic numbers come true

Yep, that's been the disease progress at every stage. We saw China then Iran, and thought "holyshit". Then Europe was way worse than that. Now the Americas will be way worse than us. And yeah, India ......... how do they even begin to stop it there? That's mission impossible stuff.

• TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,748
    Andy_JS said:

It's actually the chancellor informing us that that's going to be the case. The media are hardly going to ignore that.
  • AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

A small positive...

The figures show 3,242 new cases in the last day,

That lowest since March, and obviously when still only doing hospital only testing.

This is a nice representation:

https://twitter.com/Egbert_PengWu/status/1260570614789812234

edited May 2020
    Mortimer said:

kinabalu said:

Erm, it is still spreading if the R is 0.1, given the number of cases in the community. I think you meant to say 'not spreading exponentially' unless the R is above 1....
    People are indeed still catching it. But recovery + death is greater than new infections. Thus it is in NET decline. So what I should strictly have said is it is not NET spreading (exponentially or otherwise).
    edited May 2020
    kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Right.

R0 is what it would be in the wild. 2.7 or whatever.

R is what it is in practice. Lower than 2.7 due to behaviour (distancing, masks etc) and to whatever level of immunity we have reached.

Below 1, virus in decline.
    I still don't quite get what all the discussion is about.

The threshold % of a population at which the spread of infection goes into decline (for shorthand lets use 'immunity', whether by infection and recovery or vaccine) is lower when the Rt (effective reproductive number) is suppressed.

This article explains well: https://www.journalofinfection.com/article/S0163-4453(20)30154-7/pdf

So if Rt was, say (as this article notes) 1.13 in Singapore, once more than 11.5% of the population had immunity, the virus would go into decline even though the Rt is above 1.

edited May 2020
    Poor day for HMG and Boris in particular

This crisis has so many aspects that it is much easier for someone like Starmer to forensically examine detail and interrogate that detail.

However, this has a long way to go and there is a need to keep a lid on excessive attacks, as I doubt the public will look on political point scoring well

I am concerned about Boris's health and less certain that he is going to make a quick recovery to his former self and indeed, as has been suggested by some, he may have to look to a quieter life with Carrie and his son once we have passed January 2021
  • NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,346

This crisis has so many aspects that it is much easier for someone like Starmer to forensically examine detail and interrogate that detail.

However, this has a long way to go and there is a need to keep a lid on excessive attacks, as I doubt the public will look on political point scoring well

I am concerned about Boris's health and less certain that he is going to make a quick recovery to his former self and indeed, as has been suggested by some, he may have to look to a quieter life with Carrie and his son once we have passed January 2021

There is a once in a hundred year pandemic going on, I doubt he gets much sleep, he will be as busy as hell and a month ago he was in ICU. Taking that into account I think he looks pretty good.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,750

There is a once in a hundred year pandemic going on, I doubt he gets much sleep, he will be as busy as hell and a month ago he was in ICU. Taking that into account I think he looks pretty good.
    Apart from that, how did you enjoy the play, Mrs Lincoln?

I am not saying he doesn't look as you would expect in the circumstances but it is in plain sight that he has not recovered fully
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    ydoethur said:

Apart from that, how did you enjoy the play, Mrs Lincoln?
    As mentioned earlier I have taken all prices for him to be out of office by Sep 2021.
This discussion has been closed.