Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tonight in the PB Nighthawks cafe as things edge back ever so

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited May 2020 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tonight in the PB Nighthawks cafe as things edge back ever so slowly to normality with real cafes now able to sell coffee

For me the big new of the day is that a local riverside cafe has opened for takeaway sales of coffee and I’m looking forward to joining the socially distanced queue in the morning. You can’t sit down, of course, but there are plenty of park benches nearby. This is one step back to normality.

Read the full story here

Comments

• FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    Following on from last thread...its the express so...

https://twitter.com/AllieHBNews/status/1261033645701238784?s=19
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

Fingers crossed they've got the real deal.
    RobD said:

Fingers crossed they've got the real deal.
    Being the Express, surprised they didn't manage to link the news to the weather and Princess Diana.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835

Yeah. But what does Diana's ghost think of it??
    dixiedean said:

How do you know that wasn't the secret ingredient?
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
    24 cases a day in London reports telegraph.

Only 2 in my local town.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,787
    April 8th is officially no longer the peak in Sweden.

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/09f821667ce64bf7be6f9f87457ed9aa
  • EPGEPG Posts: 5,996
    I don't think Mark Sedwill was obliged to tell the public he had coronavirus, as long as he wasn't unable to work and so handing over important responsibilities to another.
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 24,967
    edited May 2020
    FPT
    tyson said:

RobD said:

Coronavirus vaccine taken by tablet instead of injection is about to go into human trials - and scientist in charge says he believes there WILL be a vaccine by next year

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8320209/Coronavirus-vaccine-taken-tablet-instead-injection-human-trials.html

Any update from the Oxford team?
    I believe mid June is when they will have an idea if this could be a goer.
    I think WHO and Boris have put the cat on the roof on that one......

I once watched Boycott and Chris Tavare bat out the best part of a day at Old Trafford.....Covid is going to be the slow suffocation of the planet....

There will be BC and AC....

But...human beings routinely face catastrophic events...it is just that we are now living through one (like many of our ancestors at various points)
    When did you see Boycott and Tavare bat at Old Trafford ???

The only example I can think of was the 1981 Test against Australia.

When Botham scored a century in under 100 balls:

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/17031/scorecard/63293/england-vs-australia-5th-test-australia-tour-of-england-1981
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,911
    dixiedean said:

@dixiedean very sorry to hear of your loss.

Looks very flat there, which I suppose is to be expected.
    dixiedean said:

I don't know but it will mean house prices soar.
  • kamskikamski Posts: 4,199
    Today I sat down at a table at a local cafe for the first time in weeks. I had to write down my name, address, phone number and time I arrived and left on a piece of paper.

I thought to myself "there's got to be some kind of app that would do this a lot more efficiently"
    edited May 2020
    A second major pharmaceutical and diagnostics company, Abbott, followed Roche in announcing that its lab-based antibody test had been validated by public health bodies in England, Scotland and Wales. They found that the Abbott test was between 99.73% and 100% specific for antibodies that appear in the blood as the immune system fights Covid-19 infection. The Roche test was found to be 99.81% specific and 100% sensitive.

Abbott said it had capacity to provide 5m tests each month to the UK “with immediate effect”

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/may/14/covid-19-antibody-test-unlikely-to-be-widely-aviable-any-time-soon
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279
    Great news that the Tube is going to be returning to something like a full service.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Please, the 15th is merely the highest day of deaths in Sweden. What is this talk of peaks and April the 8th. No one has ever mentioned the 8th being the peak etc, etc.

In non sarcastic and optimistic news I've been keeping an eye on total current ICU cases in Sweden (as opposed to the arcgis page that is just showing new ICU cases) and there is sustained downward movement beyond reporting lag

After this long deaths plateau (sorry strong downward trend) we could actually start to see genuine movement downwards in the Sweden daily death figures.

A second major pharmaceutical and diagnostics company, Abbott, followed Roche in announcing that its lab-based antibody test had been validated by public health bodies in England, Scotland and Wales. They found that the Abbott test was between 99.73% and 100% specific for antibodies that appear in the blood as the immune system fights Covid-19 infection. The Roche test was found to be 99.81% specific and 100% sensitive.

Abbott said it had capacity to provide 5m tests each month to the UK “with immediate effect”

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/may/14/covid-19-antibody-test-unlikely-to-be-widely-aviable-any-time-soon

166k a day. :p
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Andy_JS said:

Great news that the Tube is going to be returning to something like a full service.

Hopefully this utter madness of empty stations and packed like sardines trains is going to end now. Khan is absolutely useless and I'm glad the decisions been taken out of his hands!
    Exclusive: Second more deadly wave of coronavirus 'to hit Europe this winter'

Europe's top WHO official warns that second spike could coincide with outbreaks of other infectious diseases

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/05/14/second-deadly-wave-coronavirus-hit-europe-winter/
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Andy_JS said:

Hopefully this utter madness of empty stations and packed like sardines trains is going to end now. Khan is absolutely useless and I'm glad the decisions been taken out of his hands!
    Amazing what you can do when you can print money.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    In less good news though the Swedish equivalent of the ONS has started to show a significant number of extra deaths not covered by the official Covid death figures.
    edited May 2020

Thanks Sunil. Kind of you.
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Gosh thanks. I forgot I mentioned it. Was drunk. Better thank anyone

dixiedean said:

Likewise @dixiedean. :(
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,001
    Jonathan said:

Andy_JS said:

What is the point of Khan now TFL has effectively been nationalised ?
    Cricket is pretty good for social distancing.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    A touch of the "Oh what a lovely war" about that headline.
    Jonathan said:

Andy_JS said:

Indeed and to think so many wanted to give that ability away and join the Euro. Amazing how much we dodged a bullet by not doing that.
    RobD said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Gosh thanks. I forgot I mentioned it. Was drunk. Better thank anyone

dixiedean said:

Likewise @dixiedean. :(
    And me dixie

Jonathan said:

Andy_JS said:

Eh? Not much of a Democrat then.
  • tysontyson Posts: 6,049

Jonathan said:

Andy_JS said:

Indeed and to think so many wanted to give that ability away and join the Euro. Amazing how much we dodged a bullet by not doing that.
    Another thing you can thank Gordon Brown for, aside from the global response to the banking crisis....

Shame the British public prefer style and stupidity over substance
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,957

Jonathan said:

Andy_JS said:

Well he's in charge of the Met police, housing, and fire services for starters.

Pretty important things to be in charge of, or do you think the Mayor of London only runs TfL?
    edited May 2020
    Isn't the ideas of "channels" a bit outdated. Surely they can make / buy programmes which fit the demographic they are going for with BBC4 and put them on iPlayer / mix with BBC2. Content that is good will be found like it is everywhere else.
    Apart from some sport and a bit of BBC2 its the only BBC I really watch.

Jonathan said:

Andy_JS said:

Pretty important things to be in charge of, or do you think the Mayor of
    London only runs TfL?
    It was a weird comment. I gues Big G , now doesn’t think there is much of a role left for private enterprise or employment.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279
    edited May 2020
    I'd prefer them to get rid of BBC1 instead of BBC4 which has a lot of good documentaries.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,043

Isn't the ideas of "channels" a bit outdated. Surely they can make / buy programmes which fit the demographic they are going for with BBC4 and put them on iPlayer / mix with BBC2. Content that is good will be found like it is everywhere else.
    I agree. It's a typical bleeding stump strategy. Budgets cut so you focus on the most visible thing you can lop off so you can rally the public get those nasty Tories to decide to give you the money you asked for after all.
    Isn't the biggest expense at BBC4 editing out all the sex offenders out of the repeats of Top Of The Pops?
    tyson said:

Jonathan said:

Andy_JS said:

Another thing you can thank Gordon Brown for, aside from the global response to the banking crisis....

Yeah right, Gordon Brown. Because its not as if the Tories hadn't putting pressure on the government long before Gordon Brown announced his five tests (which were always a matter of judgment) had been failed. And the public was opposed to membership too.

Gordon Brown followed the public and got one over on Blair, he didn't show leadership.

Apart from some sport and a bit of BBC2 its the only BBC I really watch.
    Feels the same for me. Apart from the occasional sunday night drama blockbuster on BBC 1.

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Andy_JS said:

London only runs TfL?
    It was a weird comment. I gues Big G , now doesn’t think there is much of a role left for private enterprise or employment.
    Far from it.

The private sector is the source of revenue to pay for public services

Now TFL is in proper hands fare increases can be applied rather than freezing fares since 2016

Why should the taxpayer fund TFL
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Andy_JS said:

London only runs TfL?
    I can imagine if Gordon Brown pulled this trick on Mayor Johnson Big G would be denouncing this assault on democracy.

Now Match of the Day is redundant....the only thing I watch on mainstream TV is Channel 4 News, and occasionally Location Location Location which I love and my wife hates me for watching.....

Jonathan said:

Andy_JS said:

Pretty important things to be in charge of, or do you think the Mayor of London only runs TfL?
    It is a pretty big job but how is knife crime in London under Khan
    edited May 2020

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Andy_JS said:

London only runs TfL?
    Far from it.

The private sector is the source of revenue to pay for public services

Now TFL is in proper hands fare increases can be applied rather than freezing fares since 2016

Why should the taxpayer fund TFL
    For the same reason the taxpayer funds the national rail service?

I mean last time I checked, prior to Covid-19 the taxpayer funded rail subsidy was somewhere north of £5 billion a year.

Indeed. The BBC is antiquated and its whole model is in need of major reform.

tyson said:

Jonathan said:

Andy_JS said:

Yeah right, Gordon Brown. Because its not as if the Tories hadn't putting pressure on the government long before Gordon Brown announced his five tests (which were always a matter of judgment) had been failed. And the public was opposed to membership too.

Gordon Brown followed the public and got one over on Blair, he didn't show leadership.
    I cannot begin to tell you how much I would value now Gordon Brown over the morally repugnant, elitist, vacuous, tub of lard...that currently occupies the spot....

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Andy_JS said:

London only runs TfL?
    I can imagine if Gordon Brown pulled this trick on Mayor Johnson Big G would be denouncing this assault on democracy.
    If you are in charge of something as big as TFL and you are allowing it to head into liquidation then any government would have to intervene

Indeed. The BBC is antiquated and its whole model is in need of major reform.
    Fox News here we come.
  • CatManCatMan Posts: 2,721

Jonathan said:

Andy_JS said:

Dunno, but homicides don't seem to have changed much since the glorious Johnson years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_London

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Andy_JS said:

London only runs TfL?
    What trick?

If money was the reason Khan was running such a restrictive service ensuring that key workers couldn't socially distance at all in recent month despite passenger numbers being down 90% then Khan should have approached the government saying he'd need more money to maintain services months ago.

Waiting until you've ran out of money and then asking for it is absurd and entirely appropriate to put conditions to meet the national objectives when you're getting bailed out.
    4.5 million masks a month is a drop in the bucket. When are we going to start producing for the public?

https://twitter.com/AllieHBNews/status/1261044052126052360?s=20
    tyson said:

tyson said:

Jonathan said:

Andy_JS said:

I cannot begin to tell you how much I would value now Gordon Brown over the morally repugnant, elitist, vacuous, tub of lard...that currently occupies the spot....
    tyson likes the man who bankrupted the nation over a Tory, while being nasty about it . . .

. . . That is about as surprising as the sun rising in the East.
    BBC4 budget is only £44m.

Doesn't seem much for its output.
    Scott_xP said:
    Yeh, and he would know all about being a soldier running into bullets.

If only someone had thought of a way media businesses could raise money via subscription models for things people want to watch by the 2020s . . .
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,393

Jonathan said:

Andy_JS said:

Still in the private sector.

BBC1 could probably save that by cutting just a couple of shows involving celebs and 'stars'.
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 14,911

That is a Daily Mail front page for the ages.
    edited May 2020

Jonathan said:

Andy_JS said:

The MET are a private sector company ?

tyson said:

tyson said:

Jonathan said:

Andy_JS said:

tyson likes the man who bankrupted the nation over a Tory, while being nasty about it . . .

Blaming Brown for the banking crisis is as pathetic as blaming Boris for an infected bat that coughed on a pangolin in Wuhan.....

Boris is a repugnant and repulsive character, he's personally corrupted in a way that few humans are...and he's lazy, sloppy, arrogant and only interested in himself....but people like him, like yourself so well done...
    Time to say good night

Have a restful night folks
    edited May 2020
    I hope people don't take the Telegraph front page as an accurate prediction of the future..."Wiped out by June"....that's the virus, not humanity.

Jonathan said:

Andy_JS said:

Er, no. But the gangs are.
  • Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,784

4.5 million masks a month is a drop in the bucket. When are we going to start producing for the public?

https://twitter.com/AllieHBNews/status/1261044052126052360?s=20

I think the lockdown relaxation report quoted around 1.16bn items of PPE used by NHS during the crisis so far.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Scott_xP said:
    Holy fuck. I thought he was no longer capable of surprising me. or is that one of those deepfake thingies?

I hope people don't take the Telegraph front page as an accurate prediction of the future..."Wiped out by June"....that's the virus, not humanity.

Propaganda to get the plebs onto the buses and tubes to get to work and make money for their capitalist overlords.
    Scott_xP said:

twitter.com/AmerIndependent/status/1261009511621558272

Surprised all those boxes of what I presume is PPE aren't labelled TRUMP PPE...

Jonathan said:

Andy_JS said:

I think you needed a few more syllables for that one liner which I thought was rather witty. I've now starting to look out for your posts because I think you show the odd emergence of some comic talent....
    tyson said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

Jonathan said:

Andy_JS said:

Blaming Brown for the banking crisis is as pathetic as blaming Boris for an infected bat that coughed on a pangolin in Wuhan.....

Boris is a repugnant and repulsive character, he's personally corrupted in a way that few humans are...and he's lazy, sloppy, arrogant and only interested in himself....but people like him, like yourself so well done...
    I don't blame Brown for the recession. Economic cycles happen. There's always something that causes a recession every decade or so, we just don't generally know what that something will be.

I do blame Brown for hubristically believing he'd abolished boom and bust.

I do blame Brown for going into the recession having ran up an unnecessary maxed out deficit after a long period of economic grown leaving us massively exposed to the crash.

The deficit Brown was running before the recession came was inexcusable and historically awful for that stage of the economic cycle.

I blame Brown for what he did before the crash, not for the crash. Crashes happen that's why you're not so moronic as to claim you've abolished them and then run up an unnecessary deficit before one happens.
    edited May 2020

I'm more intrigued by the story that business travellers to the UK will be exempt from the 14 day quarantine.

I'm more intrigued by the story that business travellers will be exempt from the 14 day quarantine.
    If I get my parents to pay me to visit them it counts as a business trip, right?
    IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:
    Holy fuck. I thought he was no longer capable of surprising me. or is that one of those deepfake thingies?
    I'm lost. He now seems to be saying this is dangerous. But isn't he spending most of his day yelling at people to open up and get back to work?
    edited May 2020
    HYUFD said:

twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1261045962799304704?s=20

I don't see how any theatres survive without government bail-outs, especially the historic ones. For those plebs seats, you would need to use about 1 in 5 seats to keep socially distanced (so I hear).
    edited May 2020
    HYUFD said:
    Good luck to him...I think we are going to need some divine intervention to get us out of this shitstorm. A much better option than placing our faith in Boris and Dom
    edited May 2020

I'm more intrigued by the story that business travellers to the UK will be exempt from the 14 day quarantine.
    This quarantine thing has just fallen apart. The government just have to admit they don't really want to do it. We are a sodding island, we could easily close the borders with specific exception for freight, but they aren't going to do it.

tyson said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

Jonathan said:

Andy_JS said:

I don't blame Brown for the recession. Economic cycles happen. There's always something that causes a recession every decade or so, we just don't generally know what that something will be.

I do blame Brown for going into the recession having ran up an unnecessary maxed out deficit after a long period of economic grown leaving us massively exposed to the crash.

The deficit Brown was running before the recession came was inexcusable and historically awful for that stage of the economic cycle.

I blame Brown for what he did before the crash, not for the crash. Crashes happen that's why you're not so moronic as to claim you've abolished them and then run up an unnecessary deficit before one happens.
    Brown is miles better than Boris.
    RobD said:

I'm more intrigued by the story that business travellers will be exempt from the 14 day quarantine.
    If I get my parents to pay me to visit them it counts as a business trip, right?
    Yes.

This quarantine thing has just fallen apart. The government just have to admit they don't really want to do it. We are a sodding island, we could easily close the borders with specific exception for freight, but they aren't going to do it.
    It's bizarre isn't it?

When the government announced the plan for the 14 day quarantine most people said 'Why haven't they done this sooner?'

It is indeed.
    Like all great art it works on so many levels and intimately reveals so much about its creator.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,600
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Andy_JS said:

London only runs TfL?
    Odd comment indeed given that TfL/London Underground has always been nationalised.
    edited May 2020

tyson said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

Jonathan said:

Andy_JS said:

I thought Brown was a hopeless politician.....

But...now...I want someone with moral character running the country...I think May would be good too, because I need to have faith that the person at the top is a good person....I think Boris is an immorally repellant shit whose own family couldn't trust him....

HYUFD said:

I don't see how any theatres survive without government bail-outs, especially the historic ones. For those plebs seats, you would need to use about 1 in 5 seats to keep socially distanced (so I hear).
    Have you seen these socially distancing plans for gyms?

https://themanc.com/news/photos-showing-what-could-be-the-future-of-gyms-are-splitting-opinion/

Thankfully we've gone into this recession in much better economic shape than we went into the last one, despite the mess Brown bequeathed the nation.
    edited May 2020

HYUFD said:

Have you seen these socially distancing plans for gyms?

https://themanc.com/news/photos-showing-what-could-be-the-future-of-gyms-are-splitting-opinion/
    I also presume there will be absolutely no use of the changing rooms, steam room, sauna, pool i.e. the best part of being a member of a decent gym.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,273

On a zoom social call last night, two of the participants happened to be primary school teachers. Both think the idea of schools trying to reopen before September is utter madness. Both were able to explain at length why that is so.
    tyson said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

Jonathan said:

Andy_JS said:

But...now...I want someone with moral character running the country...I think May would be good too, because I need to have faith that the person at the top is a good person....I think Boris is an immorally repellant shit whose own family couldn't trust him....
    Nothing makes my skin crawl more than an appeal to "moral character". Urgh. Repugnant.
    tyson said:

Jonathan said:

Andy_JS said:

I think you needed a few more syllables for that one liner which I thought was rather witty. I've now starting to look out for your posts because I think you show the odd emergence of some comic talent....
    I'm supposed to be a serious pundit drawing on my wealth of experience and PPE wonkage to provide cutting edge insight.

• HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709

HYUFD said:

The National Theatre has been showing archived plays on YouTube and raised donations at the same time but yes most may need some Governmemt support until audiences return
    Down the line lockdown special. R4 now.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    edited May 2020
    tyson said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

Jonathan said:

Andy_JS said:

Both Brown and May's fathers were Church Ministers, as indeed was Merkel's
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,273
    Not sure if this got aired on PB earlier but this is not great for HMG coming from a Laura K. Paints a picture of a a barely functioning government.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52670086
    edited May 2020
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

It's bizarre isn't it?

When the government announced the plan for the 14 day quarantine most people said 'Why haven't they done this sooner?'
    The reason the government are reluctant is that 14 day quarantine is really problematic for business. See this thread:

https://twitter.com/pmdfoster/status/1260475865634398217
    Has anybody got a link to the actual Cambridge study that Telegraph talk about?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/05/14/london-has-just-24-new-coronavirus-cases-day/

As they say 10% of the UK public have had it and that R is only 0.4 in London. They are very different to what Witty said the other day and what the ONS data today would suggest.
This discussion has been closed.