Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » WH2020: Punters still not fully convinced that it’ll be Trump

Comments

• Kevin_McCandlessKevin_McCandless Posts: 392
    edited May 2020

https://twitter.com/PpollingNumbers/status/1263169008968310786

Wow, or wow. Tell me this is not a voodoo!!!!

Clinton was seeing these types of leads back in spring 2016 as well.

That being said. if ypu're a Democrat, you have a pathological need to excoriate yourself over each and every loss. To obsess about this or that detail. Dukakis and the tank in 1988. What if Bobby Kennedy had lived in 1968? So on and so forth. At least back to 1928 and Al ("Rum, Romanism and Ruin") Smith.

If Biden doesn't win, no doubt this'll also provide fine fodder for future dark nights of the soul.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,545
    Omnium said:

FF43 said:

Omnium said:

FF43 said:

Omnium said:

FF43 said:

ydoethur said:

FF43 said:

eadric said:

FPT

"There is no automatic entitlement to any benefits that the EU may have offered or granted in other contexts and circumstances to other, often very different, partners."

https://twitter.com/MichelBarnier/status/1263118957944483842

I think if we end up walking away then in the battle of public opinion the UK government has easily won this round over Barnier.

Quoting chapter and verse what they're looking for, why its been deemed acceptable before and to whom was a stroke of genius. Barnier stammering that the UK can't get the same without a reason is going to impress nobody neutral.
    Why should Barnier care about UK public opinion, or to put it differently, why is UK public opinion more important than EU27 public opinion?
    Because the EU don't want us to walk away and the government is prepared to do so.

The UK holds the cards.
    Except walking away will be a disaster whatever Boris fanboys say
    It really won’t. Covid-19 is a disaster. Hard Brexit is a modest prang in comparison. We might not even notice, amidst the horror of a second wave
    The big Brexit news yesterday was the tariff schedule. If the UK doesn't agree an FTA with the EU by December we will be paying an extra £1 per litre for imported olive oil, £1.26 to £1.60 per kilogramme for imported cheese, 14% on fresh vegetables, canned tomatoes etc. something ridiculous for yoghurt.
    £1.60 per kilogramme for imported cheese?

That. Is. A. Disgrace.
    That's parmesan etc. Some of the others are cheaper.
    If its £1.60 better per kg than something home-produced, and if I want to buy it at the price then it seems fine. Obviously home-produced cheeses compete better, and at that price I may decide not to buy.

It's always been 'kilogram' rather that 'kilogramme' by the way. I learnt that whilst listening to the bbc service on my radiophone.
    The main thing this tells me is that the government doesn't expect to implement these tariffs. Not sure whether this is because the govt thinks they will agree an FTA with the EU or because they haven't thought things through.
    Well of course these tariffs are those of others. Export tariffs are really no concern.. The EU will never maintain them. Import tariffs are far more troublesome. (Imports into EU)

Those are the new UK import tariffs. To be sure, importers of UK goods into the Continent and Northern Ireland will have to pay EU tariffs, absent an FTA by December.
    Oh well if these are WTA import tariffs then we can just choose not to collect them. I'd assumed as you'd said 'if the UK doesn't agree' that these were export tariffs that the EU was imposing.
    Not if the UK wishes to stay in within WTO rules, although they are a bit moot these days, thanks to Mr Trump. Maybe the UK could schedule a new set of tariffs.tbh I don't think HMG expects to collect these tariffs in January. Is that because they know they will have a deal with the EU?
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    The egg heads now need to develop an accurate real time test for those that have the plague.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408

Police watchdog to announce decision on Johnson-Arcuri inquiry tomorrow.

And yay, were the prayers of the punditry answered.
  • state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,415

His handler must be proud
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Scott_xP said:
    Just done a quick check and neither Toby Young nor Brendan O'Neil have yet written an article demanding its reinstatement.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851

He will not reach 200 in the EC.

Are people finally cottoning on?
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,774
    geoffw said:

eek said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

glw said:

rcs1000 said:

glw said:

Andrew said:

I see Trump is aggressively attacking China again to deflect blame.

This election is going to be hijacked into a who is toughest on China event. Can Biden make it about anything else?

Should be fairly easy to turn it onto the economy, which sounds like it'll be in the crapper by election day.
    CBO predicts a second quarter drop of 38% on an annualised basis.
    Annualised GDP numbers have always been stupid.

It will also result in journalists (who should know better) saying things like "Germany's economy, which contracted 9% in the quarter did better than the US which fell 38%".

NO YOU MORON. THE GERMAN NUMBER IS A QUARTERLY CHANGE. THE US NUMBER IS AN ANNUALISED CHANGE - IE FOUR TIMES LARGER.
    I agree that they are stupid, I'm just reporting what they said.
    I think he's raging at journalists, not you.
    I am.

But I also think annualising GDP changes is stupid. Because it exaggerates one off shocks.
    I've never understood why Americans take an easily measurable figure and then mangle it.
    Economic data come in different frequencies and annualising allows easy comparison between quarterly and annual gdp so that we can see whether the pace is accelerating or decelerating without having to take the fourth root or whatever.

Eh? How does multiplying a number by four (and that's pretty much all they do) increase it's comprehensibility?

The economy grew at 0.5% in Q4, and the economy grew at a 2% rate in Q4 both express exactly the same information.
    edited May 2020

Pulpstar said:

Lol "Skegness beach had one public toilet available"

One public toilet available in a pandemic is a terrible idea, you're best off with either zero so people use their own campervan, the woods or the sea; or loads open (That encourages people I suppose though).
    One is probably the worst number, must have been absolubtely wretched at the end of the day and likely a Covid risk.

Just listened to Freakonomics episode on what US universities have planned for new academic year & one of the uni leaders brought up toilets as something they had identified as a massive problem.
    Been in those SMT type meetings where toilets come up and everyone sorts of shuts up and lowers eyes hoping the big boss doesn't pick them to sort it out. We once had a phantom shitter leaving his stuff around all over in the bog and the tension after two weeks of him being at large was palpable to the height of Ripper mania in the East End of London in 1888
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 24,967
    FF43 said:

eadric said:

FPT

"There is no automatic entitlement to any benefits that the EU may have offered or granted in other contexts and circumstances to other, often very different, partners."

I think if we end up walking away then in the battle of public opinion the UK government has easily won this round over Barnier.

Quoting chapter and verse what they're looking for, why its been deemed acceptable before and to whom was a stroke of genius. Barnier stammering that the UK can't get the same without a reason is going to impress nobody neutral.
    Why should Barnier care about UK public opinion, or to put it differently, why is UK public opinion more important than EU27 public opinion?
    Because the EU don't want us to walk away and the government is prepared to do so.

The UK holds the cards.
    It really won’t. Covid-19 is a disaster. Hard Brexit is a modest prang in comparison. We might not even notice, amidst the horror of a second wave
    The big Brexit news yesterday was the tariff schedule. If the UK doesn't agree an FTA with the EU by December we will be paying an extra £1 per litre for imported olive oil, £1.26 to £1.60 per kilogramme for imported cheese, 14% on fresh vegetables, canned tomatoes etc. something ridiculous for yoghurt.
    So canned tomatoes will go up by 5p.

Not quite covid or climate change is it.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,047
    eadric said:

Omnium said:

FF43 said:

ydoethur said:

FF43 said:

eadric said:

FPT

The UK holds the cards.

That. Is. A. Disgrace.

Should add if this goes ahead there will be humongous smuggling from NI to GB. Possibly also across the Channel. Not too sure about those Customs checks being in place.
    Cheese is milk that went off. No loss.
    Wine is grapes that have gone off.
    Are grapes soil and sunshine that have gone off?

“Cheese is the corpse of milk” - James Joyce
    Hardly surprising he never came to much.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,749
    eadric said:

Omnium said:

FF43 said:

ydoethur said:

FF43 said:

eadric said:

FPT

The UK holds the cards.

That. Is. A. Disgrace.

Should add if this goes ahead there will be humongous smuggling from NI to GB. Possibly also across the Channel. Not too sure about those Customs checks being in place.

"It's like pure mucous. It's just creepy. No other species drinks milk from any other species. It's completely mental."

Alicia Silverstone
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    More forced perspective photos?
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,149
    geoffw said:

geoffw said:

Scott_xP said:
    Is anything more ephemeral than a political inscription in stone?
    Lasted longer than the Ed stone though.

Strangely it's being reported that 60% of H-W students voted to keep it. Maybe fee paying students votes count as double?
    The select Scottish students who got into HWU enjoyed the zero fee arrangement even though it made entry more difficult for others. I think it's called kicking away the ladder once you've made it over the wall.

The "others" who came from other nations within the UK, which denied Scottish students zero fees to their universities.

And in this sense 'Scottish' simply means 'resident in Scotland'.
    eadric said:

ydoethur said:

FF43 said:

eadric said:

FPT

The UK holds the cards.
    What's that? A tariff on Good Brie? To the barricades, Comrades!
    I’m intrigued. Would you have not been too bothered if it had been bad Brie?
    The least interesting cheese in France. Pasteurised into tasteless oblivion
    You've clearly never bought American cheese.
    eadric said:

Omnium said:

FF43 said:

ydoethur said:

FF43 said:

eadric said:

FPT

The UK holds the cards.

That. Is. A. Disgrace.

Then call me a prideful carrion eater.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,749
    Carnyx said:

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

Scott_xP said:
    Is anything more ephemeral than a political inscription in stone?
    Lasted longer than the Ed stone though.

Strangely it's being reported that 60% of H-W students voted to keep it. Maybe fee paying students votes count as double?
    The select Scottish students who got into HWU enjoyed the zero fee arrangement even though it made entry more difficult for others. I think it's called kicking away the ladder once you've made it over the wall.

The "others" who came from other nations within the UK, which denied Scottish students zero fees to their universities.

And in this sense 'Scottish' simply means 'resident in Scotland'.
    Which is the best kind of Scottish.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

ydoethur said:

FF43 said:

eadric said:

FPT

The UK holds the cards.
    Please give it its proper name. "Processed Food Slice"
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,069
    eadric said:

eadric said:

FPT

The UK holds the cards.
    So its a bit like having a foot removed, a mere trifle and not of any consequence whatsover in comparison to having the offending leg amputated instead?

Hard Brexit is not a foot amputation, you spineless cuck. We know this because we now KNOW what a real disaster feels like: as we’re in one.

If you need an analogy Hard Brexit is tonsillitis, Corona is throat cancer.
    Nah, on government figures Hard Brexit is worse than Coronavirus.

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

ydoethur said:

FF43 said:

eadric said:

FPT

The UK holds the cards.
    I once went on a factory tour of Tillamook cheese.... i didn't have the heart to ask if they had ever tried proper cheese.
    eadric said:

eadric said:

FF43 said:

eadric said:

FPT

The UK holds the cards.
    I just don’t care. No one cares any more. The EU is a shitshow, the latest mad Franco-German scheme is symptom, it means endless borrowing on the German, Swedish, Dutch, Austrian dime, the Eastern Europeans hate it, it means transferring money to wealthier Italians forever, it’s like mad Merkel’s migration policy for Syrians.

Germans might just buy it, out of guilt, I predict the other Frugals won’t, and if by some miracle they do, the bitterness will be epochal.

We need to get out ASAFP. If the price is Hard Brexit so be it. We have our own problems and we can solve our own problems.
    You could exchange the EU nations for UK regions couldn't you?" It means endless borrowing on the London, Surrey, Hertfordshire and Berkshire wallets. The West-midlanders hate it but the poorer regions love it."

"The Bitterness is Epochal." Or is it?

Is the sacrifice made to support your neighbour worth it because seeing them impoverished shouldn't make you feel richer? Maybe the EU will spread its wealth to help all of its members or maybe it won't.

But what is the UK's attitude? "I hope my roof doesn't catch fire from my neighbour's burning house?" Frankly with a view like that, its hardly worth backing, opposing or even engaging with: better gone with all the worst angels of human nature which it has assimilated.

Oh and "let the fat fuckers croak", says more than enough about you.
    Another one with a history of.... < CHECKS PAGE AGAIN > Ah yes. 32 comments. Lol
    I'm not sure there's much of a correlation between number of - and quality of - posts.
  • We are headed for No Deal and the the Government is going to pretend Coronavirus is the cause of the economic downturn.
  • eadric said:

eadric said:

FPT

The UK holds the cards.
    So its a bit like having a foot removed, a mere trifle and not of any consequence whatsover in comparison to having the offending leg amputated instead?

Hard Brexit is not a foot amputation, you spineless cuck. We know this because we now KNOW what a real disaster feels like: as we’re in one.

Actually, Brexit is like Polio an utterly pernicious multilateral infection which causes debilitating and permanent damage. It could be a limp, nerve damage or paralysis but damage will be done either way and its permanent. The other similarity to Brexit is that Polio is caused by swallowing faecal matter.

Covid 19 on the other hand is, well, Covid 19. A disease that kills very few, leaves most unaffected permanently and the outcome depends somewhat on luck but largely on preparation (general health). It seems to be treatable and there will be a vaccine.

In 2022 we won't be talking about Covid 19 other than which vaccine was used - the topic of conversation will still be the fall-out from Brexit and it will continue to be discussed as long as there is an EU for the UK to re- join, leave or remain in i.e. for the rest of my lifetime at least.
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,092
    edited May 2020
    rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

eek said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

glw said:

rcs1000 said:

glw said:

Andrew said:

I see Trump is aggressively attacking China again to deflect blame.

This election is going to be hijacked into a who is toughest on China event. Can Biden make it about anything else?

Should be fairly easy to turn it onto the economy, which sounds like it'll be in the crapper by election day.
    CBO predicts a second quarter drop of 38% on an annualised basis.
    Annualised GDP numbers have always been stupid.

It will also result in journalists (who should know better) saying things like "Germany's economy, which contracted 9% in the quarter did better than the US which fell 38%".

NO YOU MORON. THE GERMAN NUMBER IS A QUARTERLY CHANGE. THE US NUMBER IS AN ANNUALISED CHANGE - IE FOUR TIMES LARGER.
    I agree that they are stupid, I'm just reporting what they said.
    I think he's raging at journalists, not you.
    I am.

But I also think annualising GDP changes is stupid. Because it exaggerates one off shocks.
    I've never understood why Americans take an easily measurable figure and then mangle it.
    Economic data come in different frequencies and annualising allows easy comparison between quarterly and annual gdp so that we can see whether the pace is accelerating or decelerating without having to take the fourth root or whatever.

Eh? How does multiplying a number by four (and that's pretty much all they do) increase it's comprehensibility?

The economy grew at 0.5% in Q4, and the economy grew at a 2% rate in Q4 both express exactly the same information.
    Do you mean to say 2% is the annual rate? I assume so. So, expressing both as annual rates they are equal and no thinking is involved. There you go. That's why they do it.

p.s. but suppose the numbers are 5% in Q4 and that is to be compared to an annual rate of 23%. Is there an acceleration in Q4 or not?
    Answer (1+0.05)^4 = 1.216, so no - a deceleration.

• Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411

We are headed for No Deal and the the Government is going to pretend Coronavirus is the cause of the economic downturn.

No it's the nasty EU who are bullying us!
    Foxy said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

FPT

The UK holds the cards.

They are projectations over many years. coronavirus will do more than that in a few months.
  • Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    Andrew said:

Cyclefree said:

If masks have to be worn inside restaurants in Spain, how do the customers eat their food?

Liquidised and through a straw.
    Emergency induction device please.
    edited May 2020

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

ydoethur said:

FF43 said:

eadric said:

FPT

The UK holds the cards.
    I once went on a factory tour of Tillamook cheese.... i didn't have the heart to ask if they had ever tried proper cheese.
    I hear good things about that factory - the chap who did the below referencing the cheese has mentioned going to it at least four times.

https://www.basicinstructions.net/?offset=1520211600022
  • tysontyson Posts: 6,049
    Pulpstar said:

Lol "Skegness beach had one public toilet available"

One public toilet available in a pandemic is a terrible idea, you're best off with either zero so people use their own campervan, the woods or the sea; or loads open (That encourages people I suppose though).
    One is probably the worst number, must have been absolubtely wretched at the end of the day and likely a Covid risk.

Relieving oneself in a public toilet, of any kind, anywhere, is a bridge too far...
    The clue lies in the name...public (not good) and toilet (not good)....and combine the two....and there you have it.....

I am more likely to seek out Katie Hopkins contributions on social media.....than venture to a public toilet...
  • welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

FF43 said:

eadric said:

FPT

The UK holds the cards.
    The big Brexit news yesterday was the tariff schedule. If the UK doesn't

agree an FTA with the EU by December we will be paying an extra £1 per litre for imported olive oil, £1.26 to £1.60 per kilogramme for imported cheese, 14% on fresh vegetables, canned tomatoes etc. something ridiculous for yoghurt.

Nice FTA with Oz should be incoming you’d have thought for all that beef and Mediterranean produce.
  • eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

FPT

The UK holds the cards.

Actually, Brexit is like Polio an utterly pernicious multilateral infection which causes debilitating and permanent damage. It could be a limp, nerve damage or paralysis but damage will be done either way and its permanent. The other similarity to Brexit is that Polio is caused by swallowing faecal matter.

Covid 19 on the other hand is, well, Covid 19. A disease that kills very few, leaves most unaffected permanently and the outcome depends somewhat on luck but largely on preparation (general health). It seems to be treatable and there will be a vaccine.

In 2022 we won't be talking about Covid 19 other than which vaccine was used - the topic of conversation will still be the fall-out from Brexit and it will continue to be discussed as long as there is an EU for the UK to re- join, leave or remain in i.e. for the rest of my lifetime at least.
    Hahahahahah

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

“ In 2022 we won't be talking about Covid 19 other than which vaccine was used”

Congratulations on creating one of the stupidest comments in PB’s illustrious history of stupidity, in just your first hour on the site. Well played.
    Well you may be the expert on creating stupid comments but that doesn't necessarily qualify you to detect them.

All those technology lessons must come in handy, what with Zoom cabinet meetings and all...
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,043
    kinabalu said:

He will not reach 200 in the EC.

Are people finally cottoning on?
    If Trump is polling like this in late mid autumn, he will walk away I reckon.
    eadric said:

Foxy said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

FPT

The UK holds the cards.

They are projectations over many years. coronavirus will do more than that in a few months.
    Yes. Quite quite dim. And these are projections of lost potential growth, not immediate shrinkage, a la Covid. What a fucking stupid comment by Foxy
    I think you missed the fact we're not growing any more, because of CV19. This will be shrinkage over and above.
  • eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

FPT

The UK holds the cards.

Hahahahahah

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Congratulations on creating one of the stupidest comments in PB’s illustrious history of stupidity, in just your first hour on the site. Well played.
    Oh and more to the point, I've been a lurker on this site for over 10 years and I can confirm that in your various guises have come out with the most obvious pissed fart bull-shit I've ever read. I assume the only reason you continue to comment is because you are generally never feeling any pain.
    FF43 said:

eadric said:

Foxy said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

FPT

The UK holds the cards.

Yes. Quite quite dim. And these are projections of lost potential growth, not immediate shrinkage, a la Covid. What a fucking stupid comment by Foxy
    I think you missed the fact we're not growing any more, because of CV19. This will be shrinkage over and above.
    The combined effect is likely smaller than if they were to occur separately.
    eadric said:

Can we preserve this comment in a large ingot of tariff-free Lithuanian amber?

“In 2022 we won't be talking about Covid 19 other than which vaccine was used”

I do think humanity is a bit fucked....and could stay that way for a decade or more....
    edited May 2020

Foxy said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

FPT

The UK holds the cards.

So you agree that the impact of Hard Brexit is a little more severe, just more drawn out?

We are headed for No Deal and the the Government is going to pretend Coronavirus is the cause of the economic downturn.

No we are not.

'No Deal', as we were told daily at the time, is 'falling off a cliff', planes being grounded etc. As we were also told at the time, it is not the same as 'hard brexit', it is by orders of magnitude more serious.

So why have the same people now switched to saying we are heading for 'no deal', when 'hard brexit' covers the scenario admirably and was their 'scary' phrase in the first place?

It is simply flagrant duplicity - and then you winge that the proles won't just shut up and take your word for things? It's really not as cunning as you all seem to believe it is.

• bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,723
    Test to tested ratio up from BOGOF

To get one get two free

WTF is that all about 177k tests is £60k people

edited May 2020
    eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

FPT

The UK holds the cards.

Hahahahahah

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Well you may be the expert on creating stupid comments but that doesn't necessarily qualify you to detect them.
    Trust me. After our economy shrinks by 10-20% in 6 months, along with economies all around the world, and we enter a recession so severe its like is not within the purview of living memory, the chances are we still remember it in about 18 months are “quite high”

Even if we get a vaccine, as you so poignantly assume.

But be of good cheer. You have set a standard. It normally takes new commenters about 4-6 weeks to reveal themselves as goggle-eyed pinheads, you’ve done it in fifteen minutes
    I'd ignore Eadric...antotherexx....he is this site's Michael Moore polemicist...and anyone is fair game.......but, sadly, his posts are readable.....
    edited May 2020
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

FPT

The UK holds the cards.

So you agree that the impact of Hard Brexit is a little more severe, just more drawn out?
    No, the graphic you showed was difference of long term forecast gdp GROWTH compared to status quo. CV is crashing actual GDP now.
  • eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

FPT

The UK holds the cards.

Hahahahahah

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Trust me. After our economy shrinks by 10-20% in 6 months, along with economies all around the world, and we enter a recession so severe its like is not within the purview of living memory, the chances are we still remember it in about 18 months are “quite high”

But be of good cheer. You have set a standard. It normally takes new commenters about 4-6 weeks to reveal themselves as goggle-eyed pinheads, you’ve done it in fifteen minutes
    What recession? I made back all my losses from March in the last six weeks. EM stocks are going wild and there is no chance of a global depression thanks to CB and government action.

I actually found the last crisis more damaging than this. You should probably ditch the breakfast wine as you're clearly into the melancholia phase by 10pm.
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,059
    eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

FPT

The UK holds the cards.

Hahahahahah

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

When you stop being the site clown and graduate to being the whole circus it’s time to go to bed.
  • Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,572
    edited May 2020
    Foxy said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

FPT

The UK holds the cards.

Specifically, they're the figures produced by a government run by Theresa May and Phillip Hammond, who had a certain agenda they wanted to promote. Unfortunately Hammond was not willing to sanction the release of the full models that produced those projections, presumably from fear that the figures might become discredited when the assumptions underlying them were exposed as being questionable.
    eadric said:

Human beings are resilient. Even if CV-19 had carried off the numbers you'd feared, we'd still be talking about other things in two years time.
    DougSeal said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

FPT

The UK holds the cards.

Hahahahahah

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

When you stop being the site clown and graduate to being the whole circus it’s time to go to bed.
    Its as if PMQ's has been moved online to the PB site
    RobD said:

FF43 said:

eadric said:

Foxy said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

FPT

The UK holds the cards.

Why?

FWIW I'm not massively wedded to these predictions, but if anything I think it's made worse, not better by CV19. The Brexit economic damage has always been to do with investment IMO. Brexit makes discretionary investment in the UK unattractive. If you have an operation in the UK already you will normally keep it going. The CV19 depression will see massive disinvestment, which will fall particularly heavily on the UK. When deciding which factory or branch to close, the UK operation will get the chop.
  • tyson said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

FPT

The UK holds the cards.

Hahahahahah

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I'd ignore Eadric...antotherexx....he is this site's Michael Moore polemicist...and anyone is fair game.......but, sadly, his posts are readable.....
    They're kind of rambling, like Ulysses but with less of a focus. I assume he comments here because whoever exists with him doesn't want to hear his inarticulate ravings. Its amazing he can type when he's clearly four sheets to the wind.
  • eadric said:

tyson said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

FPT

The UK holds the cards.

Hahahahahah

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Anotherex-Tory has quite cheered me up

“In 2022 we won't be talking about Covid 19 other than which vaccine was used“

It’s worthy of Rogerdamus at his best. And Roger was good. I miss him.

Buenos Noches, I am off to watch Narcos Mexico, which is rather fine.
    Try not to fall asleep in the dog bed again.
    welshowl said:

FF43 said:

eadric said:

FPT

The UK holds the cards.

agree an FTA with the EU by December we will be paying an extra £1 per litre for imported olive oil, £1.26 to £1.60 per kilogramme for imported cheese, 14% on fresh vegetables, canned tomatoes etc. something ridiculous for yoghurt.

Nice FTA with Oz should be incoming you’d have thought for all that beef and Mediterranean produce.
    I'm slightly surprised we have such a high tariff on olive oil planned. (That's one thing where I'm afraid we are probably still going to have to buy from the EU.)
  • rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

Human beings are resilient. Even if CV-19 had carried off the numbers you'd feared, we'd still be talking about other things in two years time.
    That was rather the point I was making, in contrast to the bibulous catastrophist's views.
    Rolls Royce boss sees decline "in medium term" in commercial aerospace travel of 1/3.

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

FPT

The UK holds the cards.

Hahahahahah

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

What recession? I made back all my losses from March in the last six weeks. EM stocks are going wild and there is no chance of a global depression thanks to CB and government action.

I actually found the last crisis more damaging than this. You should probably ditch the breakfast wine as you're clearly into the melancholia phase by 10pm.

There will be a catastrophic hit on financial markets in the next 6 months....at some point the real economy is going to impact on equity markets, and then the banks get tugged down....

It's OK for people who play on high risk short term strategies...but for our pensions this is just going to be shit.....

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

FPT

The UK holds the cards.

No, the graphic you showed was difference of long term forecast gdp GROWTH compared to status quo. CV is crashing actual GDP now.
    Sure, one is in the present, the other is a forecast (an ONS one). Forecasts can be wrong, but the Confidence Intervals are both sides. It could be an underestimate as much as an overestimate.

eadric said:

tyson said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

FPT

The UK holds the cards.

Hahahahahah

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

What happened to Roger?

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

The debate regarding pineapple pizza will never be settled. Religions have been founded over less.

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

That was rather the point I was making, in contrast to the bibulous catastrophist's views.
    Maybe we can start getting stats (care home numbers can be added later) on how much Covid -19 is mentioned on here each day and see if we can get the R below 1 so it fizzles out and we get Brexit-2 or even Trump-3

tyson said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

FPT

The UK holds the cards.

Hahahahahah

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

They're kind of rambling, like Ulysses but with less of a focus. I assume he comments here because whoever exists with him doesn't want to hear his inarticulate ravings. Its amazing he can type when he's clearly four sheets to the wind.
    One of Mr @eadric 's USP is the ability to type after two bottles of fine red. :smiley:
    rcs1000 said:

welshowl said:

FF43 said:

eadric said:

FPT

The UK holds the cards.

I'm slightly surprised we have such a high tariff on olive oil planned. (That's one thing where I'm afraid we are probably still going to have to buy from the EU.)
    80p on a half litre bottle? Not exactly going to break the bank, even if there is also a Sterling devaluation relative to the Euro.
    eadric said:

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

The German head of the EDC (the EU’s CDC) is in the Guardian today, reckoning that around 10% of western Europeans have been infected with Corona.

Drill down into the UK data on that basis. We’ve had 50-60,000 excess by most estimates so far. With around 10% infected.

Without lockdown we might have got, what, 50% infected? 60%?

Multiply 50,000 by 5 or 6 and you are at 250-300,000 excess deaths, with the potential for more in later waves. Which means the maligned Prof Ferguson’s figure of 500,000 UK deaths as a reasonable worst-case scenario was not so far off. After all.

If I didn't have better things to do, I'd drag out your post about where you mused about a post CV-19 Britain and how many might inevitably die.
  • OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,911

That's a given but in a couple of years time we will be able to compare our economic performance with Germany, France etc and if we are doing worse it will be down to either Brexit or poor handling of the pandemic and the government loses either way.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    I find it peculiar that we're going to go from no track and trace at all to "world beating" in 10 days time.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,019
    rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

Not on here.

We'll still be talking about Brexit.
  • OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,911
    Ave_it said:

The one thing we can be sure the Brexiteers will be very good at is coming up with excuses for our economic decline!
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,019
    FF43 said:

RobD said:

FF43 said:

eadric said:

Foxy said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

FPT

The UK holds the cards.

Why?

FWIW I'm not massively wedded to these predictions, but if anything I think it's made worse, not better by CV19. The Brexit economic damage has always been to do with investment IMO. Brexit makes discretionary investment in the UK unattractive. If you have an operation in the UK already you will normally keep it going. The CV19 depression will see massive disinvestment, which will fall particularly heavily on the UK. When deciding which factory or branch to close, the UK operation will get the chop.
    You and William Glenn should rent a flat together.

Foxy said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

FPT

The UK holds the cards.

Specifically, they're the figures produced by a government run by Theresa May and Phillip Hammond, who had a certain agenda they wanted to promote. Unfortunately Hammond was not willing to sanction the release of the full models that produced those projections, presumably from fear that the figures might become discredited when the assumptions underlying them were exposed as being questionable.
    They are ONS, not government figures, but I have not seen updated projections since the change of PM. Perhaps I have missed them, but I vaguely remember the Johnson government refusing to release updated ones.
    OllyT said:

Ave_it said:

The one thing we can be sure the Brexiteers will be very good at is coming up with excuses for our economic decline!
    It's all the fault of Remoaners!

😀
    eadric said:

tyson said:

eadric said:

tyson said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

FPT

The UK holds the cards.

Hahahahahah

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

What happened to Roger?

I dunno. Hope he’s OK. He and I often crossed sabres but he always took it in very good humour, and He was excellent value with his Oscar Predictions. He knew a LOT about movies, tho less about economics.

I miss the affluent old lefty.
    I miss Roger...he was my kindred spirit....

I met him a few times...I think you'd have liked him...he was off piste....

I'm hopeless at sustaining friendships...I'm too lazy. And I like being by myself too much...which outside my wife, doesn't leave me with much space to be sociable....
    OllyT said:

Ave_it said:

Yes, it will be the fault of everyone but themselves. Populism works like that.
    tyson said:

eadric said:

tyson said:

eadric said:

tyson said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

FPT

The UK holds the cards.

Hahahahahah

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

What happened to Roger?

I dunno. Hope he’s OK. He and I often crossed sabres but he always took it in very good humour, and He was excellent value with his Oscar Predictions. He knew a LOT about movies, tho less about economics.

I'm hopeless at sustaining friendships...I'm too lazy. And I like being by myself too much...which outside my wife, doesn't leave me with much space to be sociable....
    Yes, where is Roger? I always rather liked his dry humour.
  • We are headed for No Deal and the the Government is going to pretend Coronavirus is the cause of the economic downturn.

No we are not.

'No Deal', as we were told daily at the time, is 'falling off a cliff', planes being grounded etc. As we were also told at the time, it is not the same as 'hard brexit', it is by orders of magnitude more serious.

So why have the same people now switched to saying we are heading for 'no deal', when 'hard brexit' covers the scenario admirably and was their 'scary' phrase in the first place?

It is simply flagrant duplicity - and then you winge that the proles won't just shut up and take your word for things? It's really not as cunning as you all seem to believe it is.

Will we have a trade deal with the EU.

No.

Therefore No Deal is a perfectly suitable description.

No we are not.

Will we have a trade deal with the EU.

No.

Therefore No Deal is a perfectly suitable description.
    CHB I bet you voted Rebecca 😄
    Things that happened not that long ago that seems like another era and forgot about

a) Yanks killing Iranian top brass who then shoot down an airliner - happened this year !
    b) Johnson appeared in court charged with lying (or something like that ) in a public office.
    c) England won the cricket world cup in the most dramatic fashion

I doubt we will be talking about covid 19 in 2022 (maybe an obscure reference to win a argument about the NHS)
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,575

Rolls Royce boss sees decline "in medium term" in commercial aerospace travel of 1/3.

Better hope they get the contract for re-engining the B52s.
    edited May 2020
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

FPT

The UK holds the cards.

Sure, one is in the present, the other is a forecast (an ONS one). Forecasts can be wrong, but the Confidence Intervals are both sides. It could be an underestimate as much as an overestimate.

Still no. Not that i think no deal brexit is a good idea.

One basically predicts missed GDP growth, but given historic trends, still growth. That doesn't mean economic ruin, means more likely money always tight and next generation not better off.

The other treatens a massive economic depression, millions more will be out of work in a few months, and could easily rapidly spiral down the plug hole. Such an immediate unpredictable economic shock, with what looks like long term restrictions on normal life is incredibly difficult to manage.
    Foxy said:

tyson said:

eadric said:

tyson said:

eadric said:

tyson said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

FPT

The UK holds the cards.

Hahahahahah

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

What happened to Roger?

I dunno...we met with Nick that time, and then I saw Roger in Manchester.....

BTW...I'm pleased to have escaped Norwich....Mount Pleasant is as good as it gets....Oxford feels like home....
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Pulpstar said:

I find it peculiar that we're going to go from no track and trace at all to "world beating" in 10 days time.

From ‘it’s inappropriate to make international comparisons’ to ‘world beating’ in two weeks.

What a total shower.

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

Not on here.

Two things give me comfort in these dark times. Firstly, I know that if I try to rob a bank, whether or not I succeed, my food and rent will be sorted for the next 10 years or so. Secondly, the recursive loop of PB’s Brexit discussions is proof positive that some things on this mortal realm really are eternal.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    tyson said:

Foxy said:

tyson said:

eadric said:

tyson said:

eadric said:

tyson said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

FPT

The UK holds the cards.

Hahahahahah

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

What happened to Roger?

BTW...I'm pleased to have escaped Norwich....Mount Pleasant is as good as it gets....Oxford feels like home....
    I hope he's OK
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,618

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

Not on here.

Or AV.
    DougSeal said:

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

Not on here.

Two things give me comfort in these dark times. Firstly, I know that if I try to rob a bank, whether or not I succeed, my food and rent will be sorted for the next 10 years or so. Secondly, the recursive loop of PB’s Brexit discussions is proof positive that some things on this mortal realm really are eternal.
    Rob a bank ?- how very 1960s. You have to phish it nowadays.

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

Not on here.

Or AV.
    We can but dream.

DougSeal said:

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

Not on here.

I’m old school like that
    Jonathan said:

Pulpstar said:

From ‘it’s inappropriate to make international comparisons’ to ‘world beating’ in two weeks.

What a total shower.
    Track and trace sounds like a football tactic .
    edited May 2020

FF43 said:

RobD said:

FF43 said:

eadric said:

Foxy said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

FPT

The UK holds the cards.

Why?

You and William Glenn should rent a flat together.
    So you run three factories in Europe, one in the UK. Brexit happens but your order books are full. The situation is benign. So Brexit is a hassle. You have product standards issues exporting to the rest of Europe, customs forms to fill in and possibly tariffs to pay as well. You're happy with your UK operation so you have no intention of moving production elsewhere. You might not set up a new operation in the UK, but you stick with the ones you've got and work though the red tape.

Covid-19 hits. You need to make drastic cuts. Then you think about all those new barriers to trade from the UK factory that don't apply to your other operations. Shuttering the UK operation is a no brainer.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,286
    edited May 2020

I predict that air travel will be back to normal within 2 to 3 years, if not sooner.
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

Not on here.

I’m old school like that
    Robbing a bank will fall into that quaint category of serious offences that nobody does these days because they are so passe like Piracy on the High Seas , Witchcraft and Beating a Carpet Rug in a Main Thouroughfare
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,401
    Looks like our world-beating track n trace system will be based on post-it notes and lengths of twine.

'We will spread it on the beaches.
    We will spread it in the public parks.
    We shall never surrender (our right to act like dickheads).'

Night all.
    Openly stating the view that Brexit is worse for our economy than Coronavirus has got to be peak Remoaner on this site.
    Pulpstar said:

tyson said:

Foxy said:

tyson said:

eadric said:

tyson said:

eadric said:

tyson said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

FPT

The UK holds the cards.

Hahahahahah

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

What happened to Roger?

I hope he's OK
    I've sent Roger a text.....if I hear anything I'll post...

I think we've all aged since that night in Beeston in 2015 Pulps....it seems another life....

eadric said:

Omnium said:

FF43 said:

ydoethur said:

FF43 said:

eadric said:

FPT

The UK holds the cards.

That. Is. A. Disgrace.

"It's like pure mucous. It's just creepy. No other species drinks milk from any other species. It's completely mental."

Alicia Silverstone
    If they can they do.

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

Not on here.

I’m old school like that
    Robbing a bank will fall into that quaint category of serious offences that nobody does these days because they are so passe like Piracy on the High Seas , Witchcraft and Beating a Carpet Rug in a Main Thouroughfare
    Exactly! No one will be expecting it.
This discussion has been closed.