Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Social Distancing: How Far? How Long For?

Comments

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Foxy said:

Johnson has misjudged the public mood and anger pretty badly IMO.

There is a chance Johnson now becomes the issue.

This scenario could not have played out any better for SKS

Cummings has put the PM right in the firing line, and he has readily tried to be human shield.

Next Tory MPs to be inundated with angry e mails from Constituents.

I reckon a few polls (if they did show the Tories trailing) which they probably won't

Tory MPs would chuck Boris very Quickly
    Give me one example in all of British history when a Prime Minister was chucked after a few bad polls. I'll wait.
    Maggie Thatcher?
    Thatcher went after "a few bad polls" did she? I really don't think so. I think it took a fair bit more than "a few bad polls" to dislodge her.

Kind of ignores the fact that Thatcher was behind in the polls in 1979
    Kind of ignores the fact that Thatcher was behind in the polls in 1980
    Kind of ignores the fact that Thatcher was behind in the polls in 1981
    Kind of ignores the fact that Thatcher was behind in the polls early 1982
    Kind of ignores the fact that Thatcher was behind in many polls in 1984
    Kind of ignores the fact that Thatcher was behind in most polls in 1985
    Kind of ignores the fact that Thatcher was behind in most polls in 1986

Thatcher was able to survive "a few bad polls"
    The thing she couldn't survive was the conclusion (rightly or wrongly) that she'd passed the tipping point.

"Holed below the waterline" is hard to define but, arguably, you know it when you see it and polls are merely a symptom.

I think we're a little way from that, although this is all hugely damaging in a more than short term way for Johnson.
    Indeed. Polls are survivable, losing the confidence of your party isn't in the long term (though even May survived two years after doing so).
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216
    DougSeal said:

MrEd said:

Scott_xP said:
    Says a clergyman, LOL. How long did the Church of England cover up Bishop Ball?
    So no one can comment on an issue with credibility unless the organisation they work for has never done anything wrong?
    I am so old I remember that the Church of England was the Tory party at prayer.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,189
    eek said:

eadric said:

Just back from a pleasant walk on Hampstead Heath. Not a lot of evidence of social distancing. Quite a bit of evidence of 'don't give a shit'. It's been a few weeks since I was in London so maybe things have been a lot looser down here than in Gloucestershire where I live now, but it may just be the Cummings fiasco is already having an impact.

I should confess that I find his account implausible. It seems to me much more likely that when his wife got sick he didn't fancy looking after her and the little one on his own so found a more congenial solution involving his parents.

Johnson performance this afternoon was abject. He had the chance to sack DC or at least explain why he didn't. He did neither. The airy waffle about 'reasonable parent' told us nothing and will have grated like hell with those who have ever experienced similar dilemmas.

The question is: cui bono?

What does Boris gain from expending so much political capital on a clearly erring aide. Why not do what I suggested at the start of this: let Dom go now, and rehire him quietly in the dog days of August, in a "different role".

That's the clever route. Labour and Remainers would squeal but the political damage would be minimal

Something doesn't add up
    Because once the entire media and Opposition establishment - and even some on your own side - have jumped up and down and screamed 'You Must! You Must! YOU MUST!' and you tell them to get stuffed, then the spell has been broken and you can weather just about anything after that.

That is the political prize at the heart of all this.
    Well you may be able to weather everything but in reality people will just start to ignore you.

Boris was always a clown you laughed with, today he became a clown you laugh at.
    ...and then when the reality bites, because this clown is leading the UK through the biggest health catastrophe the world has ever seen and the laughing stops.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Pulpstar said:

Just checked.. all my runs over lockdown would have got me to Barnard castle and back.

My walking since lockdown would have got me from Woking to Barnard Castle and back as far south as Aylesbury. Another week and I'll have made it there and back.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

MrEd said:

Would he have thrown the book at grooming gangs or would that have been too far for him?
    Didn't you get the memo? The Tories managed to screw that line of attack up as well.

"Minister Nadine Dorries criticised for tweeting ‘doctored video from far-right account’ attacking Keir Starmer"

https://tinyurl.com/ybj6xfcy
    TBF, Dorries would screw up the opening of a box of chocolates. But Starmer is on dodgy grounds given his time as Head of the CPS. The Tories haven't really gone into his record yet, give it time and they will.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540

eadric said:

Just back from a pleasant walk on Hampstead Heath. Not a lot of evidence of social distancing. Quite a bit of evidence of 'don't give a shit'. It's been a few weeks since I was in London so maybe things have been a lot looser down here than in Gloucestershire where I live now, but it may just be the Cummings fiasco is already having an impact.

I should confess that I find his account implausible. It seems to me much more likely that when his wife got sick he didn't fancy looking after her and the little one on his own so found a more congenial solution involving his parents.

Johnson performance this afternoon was abject. He had the chance to sack DC or at least explain why he didn't. He did neither. The airy waffle about 'reasonable parent' told us nothing and will have grated like hell with those who have ever experienced similar dilemmas.

What does Boris gain from expending so much political capital on a clearly erring aide. Why not do what I suggested at the start of this: let Dom go now, and rehire him quietly in the dog days of August, in a "different role".

That's the clever route. Labour and Remainers would squeal but the political damage would be minimal

Something doesn't add up
    Because once the entire media and Opposition establishment - and even some on your own side - have jumped up and down and screamed 'You Must! You Must! YOU MUST!' and you tell them to get stuffed, then the spell has been broken and you can weather just about anything after that.

Yes, spot on, that is the Trump playbook expressed perfectly - you can weather just about anything - lies, incompetence, unpleasantness and so on. Not sure if that's a model we should be following though, as it doesn't really make for good governance or competent administration.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,082

Just re-reading BJ's press conference statement, and it's even worse than I'd noticed at the time.

Among many gems, he said: Dominic Cummings and I have concluded that in travelling to find the right kind of childcare, at the moment when both he and his wife were about to be incapacitated by coronavirus.... Cummings is indeed a super-forecaster.

So, back in late March, anybody could have said "I'm travelling because I'm about to be incapacitated by coronavirus"; pretty easy to ignore lockdown then.

To an extent they did.

Its what explains all the stocking up of food, bog roll etc.

The supermarkets were probably a source of infection of many thousands at that time.

That's no criticism of the supermarkets - I think they've done an excellent job.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    DougSeal said:

Johnson has misjudged the public mood and anger pretty badly IMO.

There is a chance Johnson now becomes the issue.

This scenario could not have played out any better for SKS

Cummings has put the PM right in the firing line, and he has readily tried to be human shield.

Next Tory MPs to be inundated with angry e mails from Constituents.

I reckon a few polls (if they did show the Tories trailing) which they probably won't

Tory MPs would chuck Boris very Quickly
    Give me one example in all of British history when a Prime Minister was chucked after a few bad polls. I'll wait.
    I’m wary of falling into this trap. Everything is unprecedented until it actually happens. Inevitably you will highlight the many differences - but there are similarities in the historical analogue that springs to my mind. Not really polling in this example, but one 20th Century PM, also a former Foreign Secretary, was forced out when clearly unwell and was making significant political miscalculations that alienated his backbenchers and cabinet. If you want a historical precedent for BoJo then I would look to Anthony Eden. His majority was 60 when he was shown the door.
    Eden's probably your best bet, but come on - Cummings is not Suez, he just isn't. And even that required a powerful and obvious replacement to be ready to step in, and Rishi Sunak, for all his virtues, is not a Supermac just yet. Eden made it particularly easy for them by buggering off to Jamaica for a month when he was at his weakest too, which Boris is unlikely to do now.

No, I just don't buy it. Too many of the MPs needed to push Boris out literally owe their seats to him and Cummings. If he were to be ejected, it will be around 2023, and only if he were a long way behind Labour in the polls at that time. The Tories have ironically become more like Labour in not jumping immediately to defenestration at the first stumble. Even IDS led them for over two years, ffs!
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,138

eek said:

eadric said:

Something doesn't add up

Well you may be able to weather everything but in reality people will just start to ignore you.

Boris was always a clown you laughed with, today he became a clown you laugh at.
    ...and then when the reality bites, because this clown is leading the UK through the biggest health catastrophe the world has ever seen and the laughing stops.
    Pretty serious yes, but I think the Black Death takes some beating on the “biggest health catastrophe the world has ever seen” score.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

MrEd said:

Scott_xP said:
    So no one can comment on an issue with credibility unless the organisation they work for has never done anything wrong?
    Well, as a clergy, they should be well aware of the quote from Christ (via Matthew) about removing the plank from your own eye before commenting on the splinter in someone else's
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,980

eek said:

eadric said:

Something doesn't add up

Wait until we get to one of the toughest economic crises the world has ever seen - it's begun but it's got a while to go until reality dawns on people.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    What does Cummings have? A detailed list of exactly where and when each cabinet minister broke lockdown?

Whatever he has, it must be political dynamite.
  • Options
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,927
    edited May 2020
    eadric said:

Jonathan said:

There is a lot of frustration, fear and anger about the CV lockdown. This goes far beyond Cummings. Cummings is a catalyst.

Boris has unwittingly positioned his government to be the recipient of all of that.

The question is why. What was worse than that?

Indeed. I guess that maybe Cummings' sudden departure would expose Boris fatally, in some way. But how?
    Cummings has been trying to arrange his own departure since Boris became PM. He was scheduled to have an op in Feb, and wanted to quit/do a lot less afterwards
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,417
    eadric said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

Given that nobody seems to have been infected in Islington in the last week (I know Hampstead Heath is in Camden) I suspect fear has evaporated from those who are 'out and about'.

I like your second paragraph, it chimes with what Cummings's character might well be.
    Hampstead Heath is probably busier now than it has ever been. Plenty of mass picnics and people taking advantage of the weather. Part of it is probably because it is so hard to police. From personal experience of running around it, I would say the vast majority of the people in groups are in their 20s with a few families interspersed. Cannot blame them - I suspect many are stuck in cramped flats which are not particularly pleasant on a hot day.
    and tbh if nobody is being infected in Hampstead despite these gatherings it probably means herd immunity has been reached in those areas. Again shows the mortality rate is not that high overall.
    Yes, I suspect that is right. The aftermath is going to be horrible - there are a lot of people about to be made unemployed once the furloughing measures end (in fact, the redundancies are already happening) and there will be very few jobs to go to. It will be appalling.
    Fully agree - not just economic damage though also social damage especially in education and loss of focus , opportunity and anticipation in the young
    My older daughter is now clearly suffering from lockdown. She needs school and friends and social interaction. Enough of this. The cure is killing us quicker
    yeah lets move away from this cult of keeping everyone and anyone alive for as long as possible (remnants of a religious country? or maybe its just easy to measure death) and move to a cult of making life worth living especially when young .
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,097

I'm living on the edge this evening. Hot milk with a spoonful of malt extract added.

It's like eating malted milk biscuits. Except without the biscuits.

12 year old or 18 year old Malt?
  • Options

eadric said:

Something doesn't add up

Yes, spot on, that is the Trump playbook expressed perfectly - you can weather just about anything - lies, incompetence, unpleasantness and so on. Not sure if that's a model we should be following though, as it doesn't really make for good governance or competent administration.
    Its the model which much of government in general operates on because there is no alternative to their services.

Our political system, for all its failings, does at least provide alternatives to the current situation and means, ie elections, to put that change into effect.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,613
    In addition to the obvious, Barnard Castle (aka 'Barnie') has an old market thingy in the market place, several antique shops and some decent pubs. A nice place to visit. Nearby is the Bowes Museum.

Just incase anyone happens to be in the area.
  • Options
    eadric said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

Given that nobody seems to have been infected in Islington in the last week (I know Hampstead Heath is in Camden) I suspect fear has evaporated from those who are 'out and about'.

I like your second paragraph, it chimes with what Cummings's character might well be.
    Hampstead Heath is probably busier now than it has ever been. Plenty of mass picnics and people taking advantage of the weather. Part of it is probably because it is so hard to police. From personal experience of running around it, I would say the vast majority of the people in groups are in their 20s with a few families interspersed. Cannot blame them - I suspect many are stuck in cramped flats which are not particularly pleasant on a hot day.
    and tbh if nobody is being infected in Hampstead despite these gatherings it probably means herd immunity has been reached in those areas. Again shows the mortality rate is not that high overall.
    Yes, I suspect that is right. The aftermath is going to be horrible - there are a lot of people about to be made unemployed once the furloughing measures end (in fact, the redundancies are already happening) and there will be very few jobs to go to. It will be appalling.
    Fully agree - not just economic damage though also social damage especially in education and loss of focus , opportunity and anticipation in the young
    My older daughter is now clearly suffering from lockdown. She needs school and friends and social interaction. Enough of this. The cure is killing us quicker
    I suggest a run in the old motor vehicle to Barnard Castle.

All the bien pensants are doing it.

How we laughed as the proles stayed locked down in their cladding-rich tower blocks.

• Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    eek said:

Wait until we get to one of the toughest economic crises the world has ever seen - it's begun but it's got a while to go until reality dawns on people.

There are probably a least a couple of million people currently furloughed who won't be going back to work, but will end up on the dole heap. If you work in travel, retail, hospitality and the like, there's a high chance you are one of them.
  • Options
    eadric said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

Agreed. This is getting ridiculous. We have always lived with illnesses, threats and so forth. The suffering being done to people by the lockdown is far exceeding the damage from the virus itself.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,627
    MrEd said:

eadric said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

Agreed. This is getting ridiculous. We have always lived with illnesses, threats and so forth. The suffering being done to people by the lockdown is far exceeding the damage from the virus itself.
    +1
  • Options

In addition to the obvious, Barnard Castle (aka 'Barnie') has an old market thingy in the market place, several antique shops and some decent pubs. A nice place to visit. Nearby is the Bowes Museum.

I'll have to put in on my list - I can't resist a nice thingy :wink:

Though wouldn't the pubs and shops have been shut ?

Now I've always supported people being allowed a short drive to find somewhere to take exercise but is that what Cummings did ?
  • Options
    glw said:

eek said:

There are probably a least a couple of million people currently furloughed who won't be going back to work, but will end up on the dole heap. If you work in travel, retail, hospitality and the like, there's a high chance you are one of them.
    It is not just those areas but it is also spreading to professional jobs as well. The agency world is going through significant job cute. I cannot imagine banking will be far behind them. Possibly accountancy and the law survive for now but there will be fewer transactions etc which means income will dry up. It will be interesting to see the impact on education. Why go to university and build up debt when you can't properly socialise and there is little chance of a good job (ex-state sector) at the end?
  • Options
    eadric said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

Is she looking forward to learning Welsh?
  • Options

I mentioned it last night, but I have a fond memory of the place because I was there when news started to come out that we might get an election in 2017.
  • Options
    eadric said:

MrEd said:

eadric said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

It was her birthday today. She's a very sensitive age. She had to wave at friends at a social distance. Then she retreated to her phone and herself and the unending silence of lockdown.

Let the old and the fat and the vulnerable stay home if they want. Young people need to live, love, laugh
    Not that it will mean much to her Eadric but a very happy birthday to your daughter. For her sake, and plenty of others, may this end soon.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,951
    This is not going to bring him any public sympathy...

https://twitter.com/harrytlambert/status/1264650700883136514
  • Options
    MrEd said:

DougSeal said:

MrEd said:

Scott_xP said:
    Well, as a clergy, they should be well aware of the quote from Christ (via Matthew) about removing the plank from your own eye before commenting on the splinter in someone else's
    Justin Welby has done just that - and there is no suggestion the Bishop of Leeds had anything to do with the abuse Ball perpetrated. We are forced to listen to representatives of the Conservative Party every day without them having to ceremonially atone first for Edwina Currie giving Jimmy Saville the keys to Broadmoor Hospital.
  • Options

Been there many times. Lovely old place.

Gather it has been ruined of late by London types driving up to wander around in beanie hats asking locals whether they think Brussels is a shit hole of perversion.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    This stuff about people's dead loved ones and missed funerals look's really bad, quick, release the next episode..

https://twitter.com/harrytlambert/status/1264650700883136514?s=20
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    eadric said:

MrEd said:

eadric said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

It was her birthday today. She's a very sensitive age. She had to wave at friends at a social distance. Then she retreated to her phone and herself and the unending silence of lockdown.

Let the old and the fat and the vulnerable stay home if they want. Young people need to live, love, laugh
    Correct. Let the old and/or fat out too if they wish. Let them decide the risk.

Freedom! Liberty! Pubs!
  • Options
    MrEd said:

glw said:

eek said:

It is not just those areas but it is also spreading to professional jobs as well. The agency world is going through significant job cute. I cannot imagine banking will be far behind them. Possibly accountancy and the law survive for now but there will be fewer transactions etc which means income will dry up. It will be interesting to see the impact on education. Why go to university and build up debt when you can't properly socialise and there is little chance of a good job (ex-state sector) at the end?
    During the 2020s the service sector is going to experience the equivalent of the structural changes manufacturing experienced in the 1980s.

Now manufacturing came through that stronger overall but there were many losers - both people and places.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

MrEd said:

Would he have thrown the book at grooming gangs or would that have been too far for him?
    Didn't you get the memo? The Tories managed to screw that line of attack up as well.

"Minister Nadine Dorries criticised for tweeting ‘doctored video from far-right account’ attacking Keir Starmer"

TBF, Dorries would screw up the opening of a box of chocolates. But Starmer is on dodgy grounds given his time as Head of the CPS. The Tories haven't really gone into his record yet, give it time and they will.
    I'm not sure there is much in this.

"There's a case you don't remember more than a decade ago where Keir Starmer arguably ought to have green or red lighted a prosecution and didn't". That's what the DPP job is at the end of the day.
  • Options
    Jeremy Corbyn has joined the Tories and is running PR
  • Options
    edited May 2020

I'll have to put in on my list - I can't resist a nice thingy :wink:

Though wouldn't the pubs and shops have been shut ?

Now I've always supported people being allowed a short drive to find somewhere to take exercise but is that what Cummings did ?
    No, if you are in Durham it's 30 odd miles to Barnie and you pass Bishop Auckland on the way. Bishop Auckland is where Jonathan Ruffer is spending his fortune rebuilding the town around art gallerys and Kynren.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    eadric said:

eadric said:

Something doesn't add up

It's an extremely expensive prize.
    BluestBlue will still be trotting out this rubbish like Comical Ali as Starmer is on the news in the background waving to the crowds from No 10.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

MrEd said:

DougSeal said:

MrEd said:

Scott_xP said:
    Justin Welby has done just that - and there is no suggestion the Bishop of Leeds had anything to do with the abuse Ball perpetrated. We are forced to listen to representatives of the Conservative Party every day without them having to ceremonially atone first for Edwina Currie giving Jimmy Saville the keys to Broadmoor Hospital.
    Yes but no one ever would describe the Conservative party as the voice of our social conscience.

Good on Justin Welby but maybe he can have a word with the Queen and ask her to remove the ban on Catholics becoming the monarch. You know, since he is such a good type and so much against discrimination.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,385

What does Cummings have? A detailed list of exactly where and when each cabinet minister broke lockdown?

Whatever he has, it must be political dynamite.

As I posted the other day, there is an element of human shield here because Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick and even Boris himself are also susceptible to similar criticism for their lockdown travels, and given the guidelines said do not travel to second homes, and MPs all have second homes, it opens up a can of worms.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,189
    eek said:

eek said:

eadric said:

Something doesn't add up

I believe any government is screwed with the economic aftermath of Covid-19.

With the health issue I don't trust Johnson to do the right thing if he feels the right thing could compromise his political capital.
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

eadric said:

MrEd said:

eadric said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

Freedom! Liberty! Pubs!
    You've missed ICU off the end of your list.
  • Options
    This is all 5D chess to end the lockdown
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

eadric said:

MrEd said:

eadric said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

Freedom! Liberty! Pubs!
    I suspect, given family conversations, that many people in their 70s will demand to be free to make their own decisions as to whether to be totally isolated for another few months. "It's my choice, not their's".

They have had enough. Come mid-June this is over, if not tomorrow.
  • Options

MrEd said:

glw said:

eek said:

During the 2020s the service sector is going to experience the equivalent of the structural changes manufacturing experienced in the 1980s.

Now manufacturing came through that stronger overall but there were many losers - both people and places.
    I would agree with that. For example, many jobs in the agency world will be effectively redundant through automation. TBF, the same could be said for accountancy and the law sector (there is already software that is far more effective at scanning legal documentation for errors, for example) but I suspect the regulations will protect these sectors. Any sectors that are unregulated though will be toast
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    What a depressing day - FBPE zealots in a bloodlust for a dad looking after his autistic son.

Thank goodness this mob of knob ends are not in power (south of Berwick).
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

This is not going to bring him any public sympathy...

https://twitter.com/harrytlambert/status/1264650700883136514

Let me introduce you to the family who couldn't go to the funeral or the widow who went to the funeral and couldn't return to the OAP complex she lived in for 2 weeks.
  • Options
    It was only 75 years ago that Britain cold blooded and deliberate , went out of its way to try and kill (of all ages) 50,000 people in the fire bombing of Dresden. Maybe again because it was a measurement to acheive! INow we are closing down the country to save 50K lives (that are near their natural end anyway in most cases) . Again because it can be measured .
    What cannot be measured is the true joy of living and its a pity most decision makers and influencers in this dont feel that joy
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

What a depressing day - FBPE zealots in a bloodlust for a dad looking after his autistic son.

I didn't see my family or friends during this pandemic as I was told to stay at home.

So spare me this nonsense about bloodlust thank you.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:
    Wow!

Maybe the Cult will shut the fuck up about Laura for like 30 minutes now.
  • Options

Ave_it said:

eadric said:

MrEd said:

eadric said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

Freedom! Liberty! Pubs!
    You've missed ICU off the end of your list.
    Grrrr I didn't mean to like your post! This phone is a nightmare! Still have a good bank holiday 😄

• Options

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

I'm not sure there is much in this.

"There's a case you don't remember more than a decade ago where Keir Starmer arguably ought to have green or red lighted a prosecution and didn't". That's what the DPP job is at the end of the day.
    We will disagree on this. The US and the UK have much in common politically and one thing I suspect will be the same is that those involved in prosecuting cases will always have baggage that will hold them back. At the moment, nobody really knows about Keir Starmer and his past as Head of the DPP. Once there are references to, e.g., how he didn't press for grooming gangs to be vigorously stamped upon, that will play badly, especially in ex-Red Wall towns
  • Options

DougSeal said:
    Wow!

Maybe the Cult will shut the fuck up about Laura for like 30 minutes now.
    I've always found the attacks on Laura K very odd.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Yeah....but this is the guy who sat alongside anti-semite enabler Jeremy Corbyn for years - to further his career. Anybody with an iota of dignity would have resigned on any one of those days...
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    The conclusion

Whilst the strategy of attempting to argue that Mr. Cummings' conduct was within government guidelines is insulting and distressing to those who have made terrible sacrifices by staying indoors away from family, it also clears the "we're all in this together" smokescreen to reveal a political plane where different rules apply.

As will be the motto for the next 4 years, "one rule for us, another for you plebs."
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

Almost a criminal offence being a Tory on this site!
  • Options
    MrEd said:

DougSeal said:

MrEd said:

DougSeal said:

MrEd said:

Scott_xP said:
    Yes but no one ever would describe the Conservative party as the voice of our social conscience.

Good on Justin Welby but maybe he can have a word with the Queen and ask her to remove the ban on Catholics becoming the monarch. You know, since he is such a good type and so much against discrimination.
    Legally she can’t. It’s fixed in an an act of Parliament, the Act if Settlement 1701, and Parliament would have to repeal it. It would also need the consent of the other Commonwealth realms’ parliaments. Maybe she’s opposed, I don’t know, but changing it is not in her power.
  • Options

Yeah....but this is the guy who sat alongside anti-semite enabler Jeremy Corbyn for years - to further his career. Anybody with an iota of dignity would have resigned on any one of those days...
    As I said yesterday to your previous post of that worthless argument, if he had resigned the shadow cabinet he wouldn't be the leader of the labour party.

Then where we would be...
  • Options
    The stuff about the funeral won't go very far but the arrogance on display is just astonishing.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    edited May 2020
    DougSeal said:
    Laura Kuenssberg can’t be accused of going gentle on the government in that piece.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,545
    edited May 2020
    Took the constutional today around Mansfield because I need to comment on a Planning App for a £12m 'gateway' development (a hotel and 3 restaurants!) on the old bus station site before the end of the month, to help the developers escape from their 'absolute minimum for the community' stance.

Seeing the centre of a town of 110k people utterly deserted is seerie. And a single car in a car park for 200, and one bus and 2 cleaners in the new £10m bus station.

Fine - its a bank holiday Sunday in the middle of a pandemic.

Even so...
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,750
    TGOHF666 said:

You mean, south of Lamberton Toll.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,153
    All this about Dom and Boris is one thing. But the other side of the coin is the press and commentariat. They've had this story for many weeks, but have waited till now to pull the trigger on a coordinated strike just before the lock-down is eased to maximise the political damage. What is their game? Is it to do with Brexit, as Brendan suggests?
    https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/the-disturbing-moral-outrage-over-cummings
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    eadric said:

MrEd said:

eadric said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

Except a lot of them will be unemployed because all those over 60's with loads of disposable wealth will be staying indoors and not spending it. You ain't going to get the economy functioning properly until most people are out spending again.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Took the constutional today around Mansfield because I need to comment on a Planning App for a £12m 'gateway' development (a hotel and 3 restaurants!) on the old bus station site before the end of the month, to help the developers escape from their 'absolute minimum for the community' stance.

Seeing the centre of a town of 110k people utterly deserted is seerie. And a single car in a car park for 200, and one bus and 2 cleaners in the new £10m bus station.

Even so...

Its an insular place at the best of times
  • Options
    MattW said:

Even so...

Has no one told Mansfield it is all over? Lockdown imploded at 5pm this evening in a stream of bluster and spittle and nonsense.
  • Options

Jeremy Corbyn has joined the Tories and is running PR

He always was one of us, CHB :wink:
  • Options
    eadric said:

Except.... Reicher is another crazed Remoaner

https://twitter.com/WeBackBoris/status/1264625053917949953?s=20

Dig deep enough, and almost everything comes down to Brexit
    He gave his reasons for his view:

https://twitter.com/reicherstephen/status/1264610669237862407?s=21

Nothing about Brexit in any of that. All of it makes complete sense.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,304
    eadric said:

So if Brexit had never happened he'd be supporting him?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    edited May 2020

My husband lived in Durham when I first met him so a lot of our early courtship was in the area. Beautiful place with lots to see.
    MrEd said:

MrEd said:

glw said:

eek said:

I would agree with that. For example, many jobs in the agency world will be effectively redundant through automation. TBF, the same could be said for accountancy and the law sector (there is already software that is far more effective at scanning legal documentation for errors, for example) but I suspect the regulations will protect these sectors. Any sectors that are unregulated though will be toast
    Services replaced manufacturing in lots of areas. What is going to replace services?

For instance, tourism and hospitality are one of its main industries. If they are destroyed because of daft social distancing, what replaces them? Repeat that for all the other areas where the same applies.

• Options
    Paper headlines late tonight?
  • Options

The stuff about the funeral won't go very far but the arrogance on display is just astonishing.

I suspect it might, it's going to hit home to a lot of people who were unable to say farewell or go to the funeral.
  • Options

It's the classic case of a relative not getting understanding the significance of what they are saying.

See also the friends of Ed Miliband and the two kitchens fiasco.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,123

It was only 75 years ago that Britain cold blooded and deliberate , went out of its way to try and kill (of all ages) 50,000 people in the fire bombing of Dresden. Maybe again because it was a measurement to acheive! INow we are closing down the country to save 50K lives (that are near their natural end anyway in most cases) . Again because it can be measured .
    What cannot be measured is the true joy of living and its a pity most decision makers and influencers in this dont feel that joy

It's a pity people like you are so innumerate you can't multiply 67 million by 60% by 1% and work out the answer.
  • Options
    eadric said:

eadric said:

But it is still Brexit. You know it, I know it
    You’re deranged.
  • Options
    We've left, why can't Leavers get over it?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    eek said:

As I said yesterday to your previous post of that worthless argument, if he had resigned the shadow cabinet he wouldn't be the leader of the labour party.

He'd still be leader.

Just not such a shallow, sanctimonous c***....
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,951

We've left, why can't Leavers get over it?

Now that their poster boy has imploded, they need to convince themselves the project isn't as fucked as him.
  • Options
    eadric said:

eadric said:

This has got sod all to do with Brexit. Britain has left the EU and, in case you didn't notice, it's not the story any more.

If you genuinely cannot understand the seething anger from the public, who have made immense sacrifices, at being essentially told they are mugs who somehow don't love their children enough, then you're a moron.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    geoffw said:

All this about Dom and Boris is one thing. But the other side of the coin is the press and commentariat. They've had this story for many weeks, but have waited till now to pull the trigger on a coordinated strike just before the lock-down is eased to maximise the political damage. What is their game? Is it to do with Brexit, as Brendan suggests?

Two answers:-

1. Verifying the story.
    2. They weren’t going to do it while Boris was ill or immediately after his baby was born.
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

Ok lads, not much traction with the dead uncle, time to press the autistic kid button. And find out if there's a donkey sanctuary anywhere near Barnard Castle.

• Options

eek said:

He'd still be leader.

Just not such a shallow, sanctimonous c***....
    No he wouldn't, he wouldn't have been on the ballot...
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146

eadric said:

eadric said:

You’re deranged.
    Sean deranged? Who’d’ve thunk it?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

geoffw said:

Two answers:-

1. Verifying the story.
    2. They weren’t going to do it while Boris was ill or immediately after his baby was born.
    We knew about it then, but it didn't pick up any critical mass. This weekend it did.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Yes, but what do the Tory supporting papers say? No one cares what FBPE trash like (checks notes) the Daily Mail have to say!
  • Options
    If Cummings survives that Daily Mail headline then it is clear he has done a Faust.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    And all of a sudden people who hate the Daily Mail and consider it to be everything wrong with Britain want its headlines to run the country.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Scott_xP said:
    Yes, but what do the Tory supporting papers say? No one cares what FBPE trash like (checks notes) the Daily Mail have to say!
    That noise? It's the sound of NHS clapping, lockdown abiding Middle England slowly grinding their teeth before sticking the boot in to this broken government.

• Options

DougSeal said:

Scott_xP said:
    That noise? It's the sound of NHS clapping, lockdown abiding Middle England slowly grinding their teeth before sticking the boot in to this broken government.

In 2024?
This discussion has been closed.