Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The front pages after Dom’s big day

Comments

• Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

kjh said:

It turns out that the public don't take kindly to being told that horse balls are oranges.

Leave Stephen Milligan out of it.
    Now there is someone with a good memory. LD I assume because that was also my first thought.
    But Milligan was a Tory. "Potential Prime Minister material" was the eulogy added after the bit about oranges, binbags and kitchen tables. I think fishnets were involved too....
    I always felt very sorry for Stephen Milligan, and particularly for his parents.

He was a very able man in many ways, rather a thoughtful, moderate Tory, and probably did have a bright future. Clearly, he had an, er, interesting hobby. But he wasn't hurting other people and it's just terribly sad that - to the extent he is remembered at all - it is inevitably for the colourful nature of his departure.
    Fair points :+1:
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    I must admit I am surprised that anyone could be relaxed about this or indeed, anything other than deeply uncomfortable, even if they want Cummings to stay.

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226

TGOHF666 said:

Sturgeon confirms Scotland wont have a track and trace app.

Carrier pigeon to send messages next ?

I would have thought they would have just used the Google / Apple API, to be able to say to UK government, see this is how it is done.

Seems a big misstep from Sturgeon not to have any app. Every other developed country is.

What happens now when the UK government finally goes for the Google / Apple one, and it works in every country in Europe, but Scotland.
    On the island we were supposed to be getting a revised version of the App to test, before the now delayed national rollout. But, unless it updates itself, I haven’t seen anything yet, and one wonders whether this trial is going to quietly drift.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited May 2020
    IanB2 said:

TGOHF666 said:

I would have thought they would have just used the Google / Apple API, to be able to say to UK government, see this is how it is done.

Seems a big misstep from Sturgeon not to have any app. Every other developed country is.

What happens now when the UK government finally goes for the Google / Apple one, and it works in every country in Europe, but Scotland.
    On the island we were supposed to be getting a revised version of the App to test, before the now delayed national rollout. But, unless it updates itself, I haven’t seen anything yet, and one wonders whether this trial is going to quietly drift.
    You can tell all isn't well, they weren't pushing any updates to the app since its release. That isn't normal process of software development with something that is supposed to be released shortly. You would expect rapid bug fixes being pushed in order to get as long to test as possible.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    RobD said:

Utterly failed?

Yeah, let's see about that in a week's time.
    At it's core, prorogation was an attempt to thwart parliament as parliament attempted to thwart the referendum result.
    There's no referendum that will be overturned at the core of this one.
  • Options

kjh said:

It turns out that the public don't take kindly to being told that horse balls are oranges.

Now there is someone with a good memory. LD I assume because that was also my first thought.
    But Milligan was a Tory. "Potential Prime Minister material" was the eulogy added after the bit about oranges, binbags and kitchen tables. I think fishnets were involved too....
    I always felt very sorry for Stephen Milligan, and particularly for his parents.

He was a very able man in many ways, rather a thoughtful, moderate Tory, and probably did have a bright future. Clearly, he had an, er, interesting hobby. But he wasn't hurting other people and it's just terribly sad that - to the extent he is remembered at all - it is inevitably for the colourful nature of his departure.
    It was the only interesting thing that he did.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,599

Carnyx said:

TGOHF666 said:

Going for a more traditional tracing scheme with real people running it instead.
    Using human alone is too slow. You need to be testing and results within 24hrs and then immediately alerting all those at risk straight away, so they can be tested.

That is how South Korea keep this thing under control.

During the initial stages of the outbreak, the UK government did a decent job of contact tracing, but manually interviewing everybody takes days just for a small outbreak. You can't win the battle like that.

TGOHF666 said:

Points noted.

The problem might be that unlike all other countries Scotland can't control its border but has the "UK" - ie Johnsonian England - doing it for it, so it can't stop incomers and make them load the app.

Also, if Scotland goes for the G/A system, and the English system is still rolled out, the Scottish Gmt will be accused of wasting money on an incompatible system, and that incompatibility will become much more of a problem as travel increases.

So arguably forced to wait and see - and, indeed, perhaps, as you say, go for the G/A system when the "UK" Gmt does.
  • Options

DavidL said:

... They are under immense pressure no doubt exacerbated by the lack of other news.

If only there was something newsworthy happening like, say, a global pandemic ...
    The problem for the media is that you can only film so many people in hospital. Other than that, there isn't much to see from hour to hour.

And science stuff is just ...boring... to most of them.
    Well that is their loss. I love science. I am astounded that people find it uninteresting, but hey-ho... horses for courses I suppose.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,867

- I suspect Downing St can see a 'declining curve' in the story - or at least a peak - and will hold its nerve. There was a real point of danger on Sunday when the backbenchers started coming out publicly.. but a frankly heroic whipping operation seems to have persuaded enough to wind their necks in.

Oops

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1265261185567522817
  • Options
    When the economic impact + the UK being worst in Europe becomes clear, RIP poll lead
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Chris said:

Wouldn't that also be within his own self-isolation period?
    The public aren't capable of great technicalities. But they can smell self-serving bullshit when they pay attention and they're paying attention.

I can't for the life of me understand what the government is currently trying to achieve. Every contortion is making them look more dishonest, more arrogant and more stupid.
    I think the government is trying to bore people to death and hope the media go away. It might work.
    Spinning a yarn of having to spend a couple of hours in the driving seat of a car, taking your family by chance via a known beauty spot on a bank holiday, in order to test out your eyesight, is struggling to meet the boredom threshold.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,292
    edited May 2020
    kjh said:

kjh said:

In the days of LDs being able to overturn any majority in a by election (days of the past!). One tends to remember the background of each very well. Although bitter sweet when it is due to a death.

My fondest was Winchester. It was great fun, lots and lots of funny stories and it was one hell of a party on the night.
    The Milligan death demonstrates how Black Wednesday had utterly poisoned the political environment for John Major. In normal circumstances it would have been treated as a sad and bizarre episode but ultimately a personal tragedy. Instead it was met with sustained and contemptuous laughter and was made to symbolize the corruption and decadence of Major's government itself. Shows what happens when respect and moral authority are squandered.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,715
    Scott_xP said:

- I suspect Downing St can see a 'declining curve' in the story - or at least a peak - and will hold its nerve. There was a real point of danger on Sunday when the backbenchers started coming out publicly.. but a frankly heroic whipping operation seems to have persuaded enough to wind their necks in.

Oops

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1265261185567522817
    Yep. Pretty spot on. (Mark Harper has never met Cummings? I find that surprising.)
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

tlg86 said:

Chris said:

The public aren't capable of great technicalities. But they can smell self-serving bullshit when they pay attention and they're paying attention.

I can't for the life of me understand what the government is currently trying to achieve. Every contortion is making them look more dishonest, more arrogant and more stupid.
    I think the government is trying to bore people to death and hope the media go away. It might work.
    Spinning a yarn of having to spend a couple of hours in the driving seat of a car, taking your family by chance via a known beauty spot on a bank holiday, in order to test out your eyesight, is struggling to meet the boredom threshold.
    I think it's incredibly entertaining and will provide meme material for weeks
  • Options
    Chris said:

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

TGOHF666 said:

Going for a more traditional tracing scheme with real people running it instead.
    Even with an app it is run by real people. The app is just a way to immediately get a list of people to test.
    I thought it was going to be based on self-diagnosis. Has that changed?
    The IOW App claims to alert your contacts within four hours of a user reporting symptoms - it doesn’t wait for a test. Whether (as would be sensible) the four hours is for someone to phone the user and check that they aren’t a child prankster, drunk, or an Eadric type hypochondriac, or for some unspecified technological process, isn’t clear. It would be *bold* for the whole process to be automatic.
  • Options
    Later peeps! Stuff to do.... :)
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,473

I must admit I am surprised that anyone could be relaxed about this or indeed, anything other than deeply uncomfortable, even if they want Cummings to stay.

I think it's a storm in a teacup.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    IanB2 said:

Chris said:

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

TGOHF666 said:

Even with an app it is run by real people. The app is just a way to immediately get a list of people to test.
    The IOW App claims to alert your contacts within four hours of a user reporting symptoms - it doesn’t wait for a test. Whether (as would be sensible) the four hours is for someone to phone the user and check that they aren’t a child prankster, drunk, or an Eadric type hypochondriac, or for some unspecified technological process, isn’t clear. It would be *bold* for the whole process to be automatic.
    Relying on self reporting part is as dumb as not using Apple/Google API. There are going to be a load of total twats who spend a day wandering around all the busiest parts of London, then self report and cause 1000s of people to have to go and get a test.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Arrogance.

As a Labour supporter, my popcorn is being consumed readily.

I have never seen such a massive fall from grace before.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

Utterly failed?

At it's core, prorogation was an attempt to thwart parliament as parliament attempted to thwart the referendum result.
    Yeah, the two are completely different. A huge amount of political capital being wasted on this. You can tell that Cummings isn't a party man. If he was, he'd realise the damage he was doing and would stand down.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,855

DavidL said:

... They are under immense pressure no doubt exacerbated by the lack of other news.

If only there was something newsworthy happening like, say, a global pandemic ...
    The problem for the media is that you can only film so many people in hospital. Other than that, there isn't much to see from hour to hour.

And science stuff is just ...boring... to most of them.
    Most of the science stuff is also wrong, to anyone who actually understands the science.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

kjh said:

It was the only interesting thing that he did.
    Unfair and mean-spirited.

He was a decent journalist prior to entering Parliament, and was right at the start of his career as an MP.

I accept that, if he'd died of a heart attack or whatever in 1994, his CV wasn't big enough for him to be widely remembered now. But he had potential to rise significantly further (although the "potential PM" thing is silly). So you're being needlessly harsh.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,100
    IanB2 said:

Chris said:

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

TGOHF666 said:

But I was querying the idea that it was a way of getting a list of people to test.

The idea is that people are notified without waiting for a test of someone with symptoms (even if that is going to be done later)?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

Utterly failed?

Yeah, the two are completely different. A huge amount of political capital being wasted on this. You can tell that Cummings isn't a party man. If he was, he'd realise the damage he was doing and would stand down.
    Again Mandy....slimey, unprincipled, dodgy as hell, but when it came to him vs party, he would go into exile for a bit for sake of the party.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249
    isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

If the same thing happened to any of us with young children without access to an empty house, it would be a pretty scary situation. Puts into perspective how different dealing with the virus is between the richest and the poorest. Hopefully that will be taken into account in future policies - there are many stealth taxes on the poor that dont appear on the statute.

That said, if we were offered the chance of such access I doubt many people would turn it down.

Agree. But then most of us aren't the government's senior advisor responsible for the policy saying it shouldn't be done.
    Myself, I would still do what I thought best for my family if I were the government's senior advisor
    I suppose that's why you are posting on PB instead of being that advisor.
    That doesn't make sense, the senior advisor did it!
    The point is that you are not prepared to make the many sacrifices that go with being the government's senior advisor. Hence you, and most others on here, stick to posting on PB.

Because if you are the government's senior advisor you should be aware that rules and expectations which don't apply to most people may well apply to you.
    Haha

"If I were Eric Cantona, I'd have Kung fu kicked that Palace fan too"

"That's why you're posting on here not playing for Man Utd"

Eric Cantona didn't devise the rule which said "no kung fu kicking of Palace fans".
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    I presume that No 10 has assumed that given the Mary Wakefield article is a pack of lies nothing about it can be used to contradict the Big Dom's story.
  • Options
    edited May 2020

IanB2 said:

TGOHF666 said:

You can tell all isn't well, they weren't pushing any updates to the app since its release. That isn't normal process of software development with something that is supposed to be released shortly. You would expect rapid bug fixes being pushed in order to get as long to test as possible.
    The problem isn’t that it has bugs, it’s that it has fundamental and unfixable flaws and will never work as advertised.

If they want a contact tracing app that works, they need to bin what’s been done so far, and start again with the Apple/Google framework almost every other country is using.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Chris said:

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

TGOHF666 said:

Relying on self reporting part is as dumb as not using Apple/Google API. There are going to be a load of total twats who spend a day wandering around all the busiest parts of London, then self report and cause 1000s of people to have to go and get a test.
    In a way that's not the worst outcome. It could be that a lot of twats self-report and cause everyone else to ignore the whole app as a bad job.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Scott_xP said:
    Now he is a classic of example of by lying and concocting some elaborate story got himself in deeper and deeper shit.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

TGOHF666 said:

The problem isn’t that it has bugs, it’s that it has fundamental and unfixable flaws and will never work as advertised.

If they want a contact tracing app that works, they need to bin what’s been done so far, and start again with the Apple/Google framework almost every other country is using.
    That's a backend change? You could push that update after it has been rolled out if needed.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

TGOHF666 said:

That's my point. I think they have ditched developing the original idea, otherwise you would expect bug fixes.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Scott_xP said:
    A Remainer who had the whip removed isn't a fan of Cummings.

What's next, Dominic Grieve calls for him to go?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

I presume that No 10 has assumed that given the Mary Wakefield article is a pack of lies nothing about it can be used to contradict the Big Dom's story.

Much trouble as he's in I don't think Dom can be held responsible for his wife's nonsense writing ;)
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Chris said:

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

TGOHF666 said:

Which is why I had assumed that the four hours is for some human intervention prior to that happening.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited May 2020
    Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

TGOHF666 said:

They may be doing that already and pushing it out as a version update patch.

That API didn't exist when the trial started though.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,118

Scott_xP said:

You can't get away with this Remainer stuff when Steve Baker has also called on him to go. It detracts from the quality of your other arguments. This is beyond that now.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,581

Scott_xP said:
    Now he is a classic of example of by lying and concocting some elaborate story got himself in deeper and deeper shit.
    I agree. The daft thing was he was well known for being in a rush, had a lot of points anyway so was probably going to get a ban anyway soon so just silly.
  • Options
    I'm just trying to imagine the conversation when Cummings tried to book a taxi:
    "Hello. My family should have been self-isolating in London because my wife developed coronavirus symptoms 6 days ago, but we decided it would be in our best interests if we came up to Durham instead. Now my son has also developed symptoms and my wife has gone with him to the local hospital, but they can't get back. Could you drive them back please? Oh - and is there any chance you could pick me up on the way there? I have symptoms too - actually I've been quite ill - but I think it would be in my family's best interests."
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,426
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

TGOHF666 said:

Using human alone is too slow. You need to be testing and results within 24hrs and then immediately alerting all those at risk straight away, so they can be tested.

That is how South Korea keep this thing under control.

During the initial stages of the outbreak, the UK government did a decent job of contact tracing, but manually interviewing everybody takes days just for a small outbreak. You can't win the battle like that.

TGOHF666 said:

Points noted.

The problem might be that unlike all other countries Scotland can't control its border but has the "UK" - ie Johnsonian England - doing it for it, so it can't stop incomers and make them load the app.

Also, if Scotland goes for the G/A system, and the English system is still rolled out, the Scottish Gmt will be accused of wasting money on an incompatible system, and that incompatibility will become much more of a problem as travel increases.

So arguably forced to wait and see - and, indeed, perhaps, as you say, go for the G/A system when the "UK" Gmt does.
    The irony is that while Sturgeon is getting stellar polling the Scottish performance is pretty poor, especially around care homes and their predilection for doing some things differently with no benefit. But being more cautious with respect to lockdown has struck a public nerve even if ultimately it could be harmful for the economy. But politically the SNP are definitely benefiting from Covid.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,249
    NHS England numbers out - 116

• Options
    @Malmesbury very promising figures.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Barnard Castle Eye Test sounds like the name of the type of crap indie band I would have paid good money to go and see at the Penny Theatre in Canterbury circa 1991.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913

You know what would really propel this story into the stratosphere?

A Cabinet Minister being caught infringing lockdown.

Do you reckon they've all been beyond reproach? I doubt it.

Cummings doubtless has the dossier.
    How would he know he was in Durham for most of the lockdown?
    How Did Damian McBride get to know things.... I do hope no Labour MP's are guilty of breaking the rules....
    You are going to need to find one that travelled around the country with his family WHILST INFECTED WITH THE VIRUS for it it have any impact. If that happens and Starmer makes that MP resign it makes it even worse for Boris

PS Sorry to shout but those Tory spinners that are still backing Cummings are deliberately trying to trend all Cummings did was bend the lockdown rules when it is actually far more serious than that
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,088
    Scott_xP said:
    That is a little disingenuous Mr Huhne, you were prosecuted for perverting the course of justice. It's not like Mr Cummings has lied, or anything....
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Barnard Castle Eye Test sounds like the name of the type of crap indie band I would have paid good money to go and see at the Penny Theatre in Canterbury circa 1991.

The sort of band Tom Watson would be into.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    That is a little disingenuous Mr Huhne, you were prosecuted for perverting the course of justice. It's not like Mr Cummings has lied, or anything....
    Or got members of his family to lie on his behalf.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

TGOHF666 said:

That's a backend change? You could push that update after it has been rolled out if needed.
    Technically you could update app v1 for app v2 - but from a human factors point of view, if everyone downloaded v1 and it didn’t work, they are likely not to bother with v2 at all.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,249
    RobD said:

We are definitely in a long tail. Looks like London is rapidly running out of cases. The other regions are tailing off more slowly, it seems.
  • Options
    Thought.
    There is a tendency by some to dismiss Cummingsgate as a Westminster bubble story. I really don't think it is.
    The coronavirus pandemic is very unusual in that it has affected everyone. It's a shared experience. Will be long-remembered.
    Boris was rather fortunate (politically) in contracting it. He evidently thinks this has bullet-proofed him.
    But Dom has removed the bullet-proof vest.
    And now backbench (and even frontbench) support is haemorrhaging.
    He needs to act fast and get Cummings to resign.
    It's difficult to predict what will happen if he doesn't but the momentum does not appear to have abated as they must have hoped.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,292
    DougSeal said:

Taking their place alongside The Bernard Cribbins Experience no doubt.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,661
    MP with crazy sunburn on BBC news! What made him think, yes today lets go on national tv!
  • Options
    MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755

There's one other reason I think Dom is safe.
  • Options

Keir Starmer looking like a real PM today, he should walk 2024 if he plays his cards intelligently

And if he is allowed to by the LP.

Agreed. He has to stamp on any Corbynista stupidity very firmly. He has impressed so far and I think that the fact that he is running significantly ahead of the party in terms of popularity will give him the authority to do that.
  • Options

Thought.
    There is a tendency by some to dismiss Cummingsgate as a Westminster bubble story. I really don't think it is.
    The coronavirus pandemic is very unusual in that it has affected everyone. It's a shared experience. Will be long-remembered.
    Boris was rather fortunate (politically) in contracting it. He evidently thinks this has bullet-proofed him.
    It's difficult to predict what will happen if he doesn't but the momentum does not appear to have abated as they must have hoped.

Boris could have easily spun this to his advantage, clear decisive leadership, play on having had it, how it important collective action, how thanks to nation we are winning...and still had Cummings back in a few months.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Scott_xP said:
    Or got members of his family to lie on his behalf.
    As one can see, absolutely no similarity whatsoever.
  • Options
    Bernard Jenkin doing his best for BoZo

https://twitter.com/GdnPolitics/status/1265266322864140290
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    RobD said:

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

TGOHF666 said:

Nope it would be a fundamental change in how the application worked - and the api in the replacement has very strict privacy terms that the previous application completely ignores.

There is a valid reason for actually saying that the api version will have significant take up issues but is a different issue.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    DougSeal said:

Scott_xP said:

You can't get away with this Remainer stuff when Steve Baker has also called on him to go. It detracts from the quality of your other arguments. This is beyond that now.
    But if the vast majority of leave voting MPs support him surely you cannot ignore that too?
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    The Chris Huhne reference has given me an idea. Is there anyway that Cummings can give a sworn statement so that he his guilty of perjury if it is proven to be false?
  • Options
    If Cummings does go after all this, I don't see how Boris can stay long term. Mr Yorkshire Tea could have the fastest promotion from nobody to PM in history.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

You know what would really propel this story into the stratosphere?

A Cabinet Minister being caught infringing lockdown.

Do you reckon they've all been beyond reproach? I doubt it.

Cummings doubtless has the dossier.
    How would he know he was in Durham for most of the lockdown?
    How Did Damian McBride get to know things.... I do hope no Labour MP's are guilty of breaking the rules....
    You are going to need to find one that travelled around the country with his family WHILST INFECTED WITH THE VIRUS for it it have any impact. If that happens and Starmer makes that MP resign it makes it even worse for Boris

PS Sorry to shout but those Tory spinners that are still backing Cummings are deliberately trying to trend all Cummings did was bend the lockdown rules when it is actually far more serious than that
    The longer he stays in place the more lockdown popcorn we consume.

If it wasn't for the fact that their negligence has the potential to kill us with a deadly virus I would be laughing my nuts off.
  • Options

If Cummings does go after all this, I don't see how Boris can stay long term. Mr Yorkshire Tea could have the fastest promotion from nobody to PM in history.

Er, why is he called that, please? I'm assuming the unfortunate obvious reason doesn't apply.
  • Options
    Hey, what can we do to damp down the Cummings row?

Piss off some more Tory MPs...

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1265269774424121344
  • Options

Thought.

Boris could have easily spun this to his advantage, clear decisive leadership, play on having had it, how it important collective action, how thanks to nation we are winning...and still had Cummings back in a few months.
    That's the bizarre thing, even with Cummings 'officially' gone he could have had him back
    Once, twice, three times like Mandy.
    It's what I expected to happen in fact.
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    I think this may be a rare event like Watergate rather than F1 smoking sponsorship or Mandelson. I'm swinging back to Boris bowing out.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Er, why is he called that, please? I'm assuming the unfortunate obvious reason doesn't apply.
    When writing his first budget he took a photo with a massive bag of Yorkshire Tea, with caption something like "making a brew for the team"...and the twitter hate mob went into meltdown and bombarded Yorkshire Tea, who had to say we don't support political parties.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

He famously (ish) posted a rather striking picture of himself making tea for his staff during the Budget preparations with a giant megapack of said product.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

When writing his first budget he took a photo with a massive bag of Yorkshire Tea, with caption something like "making a brew for the team"...and the twitter hate mob went into meltdown and bombarded Yorkshire Tea, who had to say we don't support political parties.
    Thank you!
  • Options
    Monkeys said:

Surely the Prime Minister is the Poodle Inter Pares?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Thank you!
    https://twitter.com/YorkshireTea/status/1231974510385123329?s=19
  • Options
    Brom said:

DougSeal said:

Scott_xP said:

But if the vast majority of leave voting MPs support him surely you cannot ignore that too?
    Much of that support isn't exactly full throated...

https://www.facebook.com/AaronBell4NUL/posts/287149366020927?__tn__=K-R
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,779
    DougSeal said:

Scott_xP said:

Quality of Phillip's arguments? haha. You re indeed a man of satire!
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,947

RobD said:

We are definitely in a long tail. Looks like London is rapidly running out of cases. The other regions are tailing off more slowly, it seems.
    Difficult to see any obvious reason why the NE should be declining so much slower than London.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Much trouble as he's in I don't think Dom can be held responsible for his wife's nonsense writing ;)
    Except of course if she sought his input at all and he directed her to make edits.
  • Options
    MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755
    Pulpstar said:

Thought.

That's the bizarre thing, even with Cummings 'officially' gone he could have had him back
    Once, twice, three times like Mandy.
    It's what I expected to happen in fact.
    People placing comparisons with Mandy or Campbell don't really get that he isn't remotely doing the same job that Mandy or Campbell did. They just wanted Labour to win. Cummings has a plan for something, a set of ideas about how he thinks things should be. We don't know the first thing about what Mandelson really believed, and it wasn't important.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,715
    Monkeys said:

You can see by the look on the face of the work and pensions secretary that he has his work cut out, post lockdown.
  • Options
    Brom said:

DougSeal said:

Scott_xP said:

I just don't see how it is relevant. This is nothing to do with Brexit. It's a deflection strategy. The number of Brexiteer politicians, media figures and, anecdotally, voters who want him to go is enough already to show it transcends a dead issue. Julia Hartley-Brewer? Nick Ferrari? Tim Montmonerie? Steve Baker? Iain Dale? The bleeding comments section of Mail Online? Who else do you need?
  • Options
    The first cabinet minister to call for Cummings head could be the next PM

Do any of them have the gumption?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Can't even say the word sacked. Big Dom has considered his position already and has decided he will stay.
  • Options

Thought.

Agree. If Cummings had gone immediately there might even have been a modicum of sympathy. A dad doing what he thought was right for his family but accepting that the optics are terrible and that he doesn't want to be a distraction to the health messaging. And then, a few months down the line, back in Number 10. Sturgeon tried to hang on to Calderwood - they even had a joint presser - but had to give her up eventually. Doesn't have to be damaging.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Except of course if she sought his input at all and he directed her to make edits.
    I can't imagine anyone like Cummings wanting to vet his wife's account of the family's lockdown-breaking, self-isolation-defying activities before it was published.
  • Options

TGOHF666 said:

tlg86 said:

Chris said:

I think the media is boring people to death.
    Generally the degree to which people are bored is in direct proportion to their backing of Cummings.
    It is the next line of defence once the "it's only a Westminster bubble" strategy has crashed and burnt.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    What's wrong with highlighting you've got something interesting coming soon?
This discussion has been closed.