Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A big challenge for Johnson and his minsters is that their rat

Comments

• Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,573
    edited June 2020
    RobD said:

kjh said:

RobD said:

kjh said:

Help needed please. I am trying to post a picture/video. Never done it before. Went into my profile, activity, cut and pasted it in and shared it. It is sitting there under my activity but doesn't get posted to the forum. Clearly I don't know what I am doing. Help please?

Are you trying from the main site, or on vanilla?

https://politicalbetting.vanillacommunity.com/discussion

On Vanilla there is a handy button just above where you type a comment.
    I am here:

https://politicalbetting.vanillacommunity.com/profile

By the way I really enjoyed your response to me yesterday. made me laugh.
    Ah, I think that will post something to your user profile rather than attach it to a comment here. Try the comment form here:

https://politicalbetting.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/8761/politicalbetting-com-blog-archive-a-big-challenge-for-johnson-and-his-minsters-is-that-their-rat
    Test deleted.

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901
    Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

The idea that a fictional character character can't interchange racially over time is ridiculous.

Unless the race of the character is integral to the story. For example, Atticus Finch must be white.

He must also be Gregory Peck imo but that is probably just me.
    Well it's central to that version of the story, but TKAM could be made with a Hindu Finch and Muslim or Sikh Tom? The only aspect that needs to remain for the story to make sense is a difference between Tom and the rest
    For me that would be a work "inspired by" rather than the real thing. But I take the point.
    If Finch is non-white, the story would need considerable changes to reflect the reality of what the character Finch has to deal with and the difference to the narrator (his daughter) of his different social position.
    It depends where it is set. If it were an adaption set in modern India for instance a Hindu Finch and Muslim Tom could make more sense.
    A play with a white Tom and black Atticus in a setting where whites are treated as a lower class of human would be interesting to watch, and challenge the audience to think about some of the realities and absurdities of racism.
    Recently something fairly similar was done in Noughts and Crosses.

Quite an interesting idea.

It's just a version of this from the 60s isn't it?

https://exploringyourmind.com/blue-eyes-and-brown-eyes-the-jane-elliott-experiment/#:~:text=Jane Elliott's experiment,on the blue-eyed students.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,597
    On thread, this is the most recent YouGov write up of their data, published at 7.20pm last night:

"There is now a 15-pt margin between the 56% of Britons who say the government has done a bad job of managing the outbreak and the 41% who believe it has done a good job. The survey was conducted from 27-29 May, prior to the most recent loosening of lockdown regulations."

I'm confused, the graph in the thread shows a net negative rating of -3% not -15%?

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2020/06/03/approval-government-handling-coronavirus-sinks-low
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Jackson Carlaw, Leader of the Scottish Conservative and Unionist Party. twisting the knife into BoZo’s belly just now on BBC Radio Scotland. He says, repeatedly, that he is “not wholly convinced” by Dominic Cummings’ explanation for his actions.

Classic code for “the man’s a liar”.

Astonishingly, Carlaw has not spoken to his boss BoZo in months. They have only exchanged two text messages since The Clown was released from hospital.

Carlaw sounds like a drowning man, unable to affect either his opponents nor his (supposed) allies.

The Milton Keynes appointee is a real kick in the groin.

MK? *googles for land of concrete coos* Ah - now I see. Blood is sure thicker than residence when it comes to Tories. But what a dunt in the baws to the actual Scottish Tories. Remiunds me of the day when the Scottish Office was run by a MP from Weston-Super-Mare IIRC.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-52880226
    The new Scottish office minister was born in Hamilton and went to school in Glasgow.

He is Scottish, he just represents an English seat
    Your lot howled when Labour and LD MPs from Scotland voted on English matters (a sentiment the SNP entirely sympathise with).

Also - do you think race/genetics/blood rather than voter representation is more important?
    That's a point. Presumably the new under-assistant, deputy panjandrum won't be voting on the Scotland only matters that he's supposed to be helping to formulate?
    HY is a blood and soil nationalist.

You gotta laugh at Tories. Remember when they screamed their heads off at a jock being their prime minister.
    Your the supporter of the Nationalist party not me.

Personally I also never questioned Brown's right to be PM under our parliamentary system
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,865
    RobD said:

He's already had it.

And?

The rules are to isolate.
  • Options
    kjh said:

RobD said:

kjh said:

RobD said:

kjh said:

Help needed please. I am trying to post a picture/video. Never done it before. Went into my profile, activity, cut and pasted it in and shared it. It is sitting there under my activity but doesn't get posted to the forum. Clearly I don't know what I am doing. Help please?

I am here:

Ah, I think that will post something to your user profile rather than attach it to a comment here. Try the comment form here:

https://politicalbetting.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/8761/politicalbetting-com-blog-archive-a-big-challenge-for-johnson-and-his-minsters-is-that-their-rat
    Test deleted.

• Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,909
    RobD said:

PB BAD SCIENTISTS

Professor Karl Friston (UCL)
    Professor Sunetra Gupta (Oxon)
    Professor Carl Heneghan (Oxon)

•••

Is the Boffin' Boffin currently a GOOD or BAD scientist?

It's hard to keep up!!

As pointed out earlier, the differences between the Nordic countries seems to demolish his theory right off the bat.
    I'd hazard a wild guess that you haven't actually watched the 34-minute interview.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,560
    isam said:

Michael Portillo has a programme that is critical of the British Empire each Friday night at the moment on Ch5. So far it has covered India, the Caribbean and South Africa, well worth a watch.

What bothers me is that the people negatively impacted by immigration tend to be the poor in the country emigrated to - the establishment in England still live off the riches gained from exploiting the commonwealth subjects, while those who never did have to compete with their descendants for jobs and state services. New housing estates and hospitals that the growing population require should be built on the land and funded by the money that went to the profiteers of the slave trade.

Though I note your use of the word "tend to", I'm not sure it's even as simple as that. The English poor did not benefit so much directly from plantation ownership, but they consumed cheap sugar and tobacco made by slave labour as well. And I'm not aware of much evidence that its origins bothered them, at least until after 1809.

And the recent waves of immigration have probably made public services, often used by the white working classes, cheaper and better than would otherwise be the case. There have been positive, as well as negative, impacts.

The indirect effects of immigration on different parts of the UK are so complex, dynamic and controversial that they defy any simple summary, which is frustrating for those who like to apportion blame.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    edited June 2020
    Scott_xP said:

RobD said:

He's already had it.

And?

Because right now the ability to know if you have had it or not is not widely available I imagine.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

Carnyx said:

Jackson Carlaw, Leader of the Scottish Conservative and Unionist Party. twisting the knife into BoZo’s belly just now on BBC Radio Scotland. He says, repeatedly, that he is “not wholly convinced” by Dominic Cummings’ explanation for his actions.

Astonishingly, Carlaw has not spoken to his boss BoZo in months. They have only exchanged two text messages since The Clown was released from hospital.

Carlaw sounds like a drowning man, unable to affect either his opponents nor his (supposed) allies.

MK? *googles for land of concrete coos* Ah - now I see. Blood is sure thicker than residence when it comes to Tories. But what a dunt in the baws to the actual Scottish Tories. Remiunds me of the day when the Scottish Office was run by a MP from Weston-Super-Mare IIRC.

I will defer to our actual Scottish posters on this (and we can always rely on Malc for a fair and balanced appraisal of the situation), but right now it looks to me as if the Conservatives are going to get absolutely, utterly, walloped in the Holyrood elections next year. As in a panda-level event.
    I would say Tories in Scotland have solid bedrock of 20%, who are the "British rather than Scottish" crowd. More than panda-level. The Tories have nothing to offer the other 80% however. The Ruth Davidson brand of unionism has been comprehensively trashed by the Brexit Party insurgency, aka the Conservative Party.
    It has never been successfully explained to me why people can't be both British and Scottish.
    Ask HYUFD why he can’t be both European and British.
    I never said you can't, I have a British passport and voted Remain
    You said only a few days ago that Britain was not part of Europe.
    Not part of mainland continental Europe no
  • Options
    kjh said:

RobD said:

kjh said:

RobD said:

kjh said:

I am here:

Test deleted.

Rob,

Yes you are correct. It did.

I don't want to attach my picture to another person's comment. I just want to post a fresh comment with the picture. Sorry I am being a complete idiot.
  • Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUOFeVIrOPg

ClifNotes,

Professor Karl Friston is a computer modelling expert, world-renowned for his contributions to neuroscience. He has been applying his "dynamic causal modelling" approach to the Covid-19 pandemic, and has reached some startling results.

- The differences between countries are not primarily down to government actions, but due to 'intrinsic' differences in the populations

- We don't yet fully understand what is driving it, although there are theories ranging from levels of vitamin D to genetic differences

- In each country, there appears to be a portion of the population that is 'not even in the game' - that is, not susceptible to Covid-19. This varies hugely between countries

- In the UK, Professor Friston estimates that portion to be at least 50%, and probably more like 80%

- The similar mortality results between Sweden (no lockdown) and the UK (lockdown) are best explained by the fact that in reality there was no difference - the impact of the legal lockdown in Professor Friston's models "literally goes away".

So what are the intrinsic differences between Swedes, Norwegians, and Danes?
    Those numbers from Friston on the UK are very interesting. 80% 'not in the game' that's an even bigger dark matter estimate than Professor Gupta's
    That was effectively his maximum figure though. His central forecast was essentially that 50% are non-susceptible (still a large proportion).
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Anti-Irish sentiment is alive and kicking in today’s England. Is there any country they don’t either hate or fear or despise? San Marino?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,848
    RobD said:

Scott_xP said:
    He's already had it.
    The Political Editor of the Daily Telegraph appears to have forgotten. Clearly they have short memories in the Lobby.
  • Options

RobD said:

PB BAD SCIENTISTS

•••

It's hard to keep up!!

As pointed out earlier, the differences between the Nordic countries seems to demolish his theory right off the bat.
    I'd hazard a wild guess that you haven't actually watched the 34-minute interview.
    No, I read the summary posted here, in particular the first point:

The differences between countries are not primarily down to government actions, but due to 'intrinsic' differences in the populations
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,113
    edited June 2020
    That’s insane. Spike Milligan is buried, IIRC, in Sussex with “Dúirt mé leat go raibh mé breoite”, Irish for "I told you I was ill", on his gravestone. The local Anglican diocese in fact said it HAD to be written in Irish.
  • Options
    kjh said:

kjh said:

RobD said:

kjh said:

RobD said:

kjh said:

I am here:

Test deleted.

Rob,

Yes you are correct. It did.

I don't want to attach my picture to another person's comment. I just want to post a fresh comment with the picture. Sorry I am being a complete idiot.
    Just delete all the text in the comment box before uploading your picture. It should then appear on its own.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

isam said:

Michael Portillo has a programme that is critical of the British Empire each Friday night at the moment on Ch5. So far it has covered India, the Caribbean and South Africa, well worth a watch.

What bothers me is that the people negatively impacted by immigration tend to be the poor in the country emigrated to - the establishment in England still live off the riches gained from exploiting the commonwealth subjects, while those who never did have to compete with their descendants for jobs and state services. New housing estates and hospitals that the growing population require should be built on the land and funded by the money that went to the profiteers of the slave trade.

Though I note your use of the word "tend to", I'm not sure it's even as simple as that. The English poor did not benefit so much directly from plantation ownership, but they consumed cheap sugar and tobacco made by slave labour as well. And I'm not aware of much evidence that its origins bothered them, at least until after 1809.

And the recent waves of immigration have probably made public services, often used by the white working classes, cheaper and better than would otherwise be the case. There have been positive, as well as negative, impacts.

The indirect effects of immigration on different parts of the UK are so complex, dynamic and controversial that they defy any simple summary, which is frustrating for those who like to apportion blame.
    If we are being picky, access to cheap sugar and tobacco didn't benefit them at all!

I take your point, and I did meant to imply that the whole country benefited, but the poor had their lives made bearable whilst the rich still live a life of absolute luxury today on the back of it.
  • Options
    edited June 2020

Anti-Irish sentiment is alive and kicking in today’s England. Is there any country they don’t either hate or fear or despise? San Marino?
    No we do not despise other nations unlike Scottish nationalists who despise England
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

That’s insane. Spike Milligan is buried, IIRC, in Sussex with “Dúirt mé leat go raibh mé breoite”, Irish for "I told you I was ill", on his gravestone. Absolutely the wrong decision.
    An easy win for the family on appeal, I would have thought.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

Carnyx said:

I will defer to our actual Scottish posters on this (and we can always rely on Malc for a fair and balanced appraisal of the situation), but right now it looks to me as if the Conservatives are going to get absolutely, utterly, walloped in the Holyrood elections next year. As in a panda-level event.
    I would say Tories in Scotland have solid bedrock of 20%, who are the "British rather than Scottish" crowd. More than panda-level. The Tories have nothing to offer the other 80% however. The Ruth Davidson brand of unionism has been comprehensively trashed by the Brexit Party insurgency, aka the Conservative Party.
    It has never been successfully explained to me why people can't be both British and Scottish.
    Of course Britain is part of Europe. Not wanting to belong to a political organisation doesn't change the geography.
    Of course Scotland is part of Britain. Not wanting to belong to a political organisation doesn't change the geography.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    Scott_xP said:

RobD said:

He's already had it.

And?

And it means he can skip PMQs next week.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    dixiedean said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:
    The PM is likely immune, the chancellor, however...
    Wouldn't put it past Boris to be the first to get it twice.
    Obviously hope not.
    If Boris gets it twice we've got bigger problems.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

PB BAD SCIENTISTS

•••

It's hard to keep up!!

The differences between countries are not primarily down to government actions, but due to 'intrinsic' differences in the populations
    Yup. Thought so. Watch the tape when you get chance.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,532
    Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

The idea that a fictional character character can't interchange racially over time is ridiculous.

Unless the race of the character is integral to the story. For example, Atticus Finch must be white.

Well it's central to that version of the story, but TKAM could be made with a Hindu Finch and Muslim or Sikh Tom? The only aspect that needs to remain for the story to make sense is a difference between Tom and the rest
    For me that would be a work "inspired by" rather than the real thing. But I take the point.
    If Finch is non-white, the story would need considerable changes to reflect the reality of what the character Finch has to deal with and the difference to the narrator (his daughter) of his different social position.
    I think it would need to transfer to another place and time entirely. The story drips in USA dixie 1950s slavery ambience. You could do something equivalent but not the same set somewhere else with a different pair of oppressor oppressed groupings.
    Some reflections on TKAM in this interesting tweet.

https://twitter.com/PoliticsJOE_UK/status/1268264740171759616
    That is a very powerful and articulate piece. Thanks for posting.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

PB BAD SCIENTISTS

•••

It's hard to keep up!!

Is the statement wrong?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,592

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

The new Scottish office minister was born in Hamilton and went to school in Glasgow.

Your lot howled when Labour and LD MPs from Scotland voted on English matters (a sentiment the SNP entirely sympathise with).

Also - do you think race/genetics/blood rather than voter representation is more important?
    That's a point. Presumably the new under-assistant, deputy panjandrum won't be voting on the Scotland only matters that he's supposed to be helping to formulate?

You gotta laugh at Tories. Remember when they screamed their heads off at a jock being their prime minister.
    I think it was him being Labour that caused that.
    Nonsense. The air was thick with ant-Scottish venom.
    Didfn't Speaker Martin catch some of that as well?
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

RobD said:

He's already had it.

And?

Because right now the ability to know if you have had it or not is not widely available I imagine.
    If Boris had died from it, Scott would be criticising "Bozo" for being buried too close to the mourners
  • Options

I think a new concept has come into being, Anglospherean, part of a continent of the mind (of a certain type).

I think that's very true. Geography does not always correlate directly with culture or identity. History can play strange tricks.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

Carnyx said:

Of course Britain is part of Europe. Not wanting to belong to a political organisation doesn't change the geography.
    Of course Scotland is part of Britain. Not wanting to belong to a political organisation doesn't change the geography.
    Except for the referendum where they decided they did want to be part of the UK, correct.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,366

isam said:

Karl Friston: up to 80% not even susceptible to Covid-19

CliffNotes,

Professor Karl Friston is a computer modelling expert, world-renowned for his contributions to neuroscience. He has been applying his "dynamic causal modelling" approach to the Covid-19 pandemic, and has reached some startling results.

- The differences between countries are not primarily down to government actions, but due to 'intrinsic' differences in the populations

- We don't yet fully understand what is driving it, although there are theories ranging from levels of vitamin D to genetic differences

- In each country, there appears to be a portion of the population that is 'not even in the game' - that is, not susceptible to Covid-19. This varies hugely between countries

- In the UK, Professor Friston estimates that portion to be at least 50%, and probably more like 80%

- The similar mortality results between Sweden (no lockdown) and the UK (lockdown) are best explained by the fact that in reality there was no difference - the impact of the legal lockdown in Professor Friston's models "literally goes away".

If it turns out that "The differences between countries are not primarily down to government actions, but due to 'intrinsic' differences in the populations", the criticism of our governments actions by people who were sure they knew best will age particularly badly
    Why do I get the distinct feeling that Professor Karl Friston (UCL) is about to join Professor Sunetra Gupta (Oxon) in the PB smear tank?

For the same reason that he'll join the icons of the "I don't want to be locked down" cheerleaders?

Got to say, the explanation for the differences between Norway and Sweden that the tenfold extra death rate in Sweden is down to innate intrinsic differences between Norwegians and Swedes rather than Government action is a little hard to swallow.
    Extraordinary claims need extraordinary evidence, after all. I'm not qualified to do a detailed critique of an epidemiological model, but a couple of red flags flutter in front of me.

One is that there's not much doubt that there is a germ involved in this disease, so you have to do a lot of explaining to justify the claim that extreme measures to stop the spread of that germ don't affect its spread.

Linked to that, saying that there is a massive unexplained factor which explains all the differences better than the standard model is possible, but needs extraordinary evidence.

Thirdly, saying that Sweden and the UK have similar outcomes isn't that surprising. Sweden did about as much as can be done short of a lockdown, and the UK's lockdown was about as soft as can still count as a lockdown. The similarity of their outcomes shouldn't be that much of a surprise. Comparisons like Sweden-Norway are much more instructive.

This isn't to say that Prof Friston is wrong. And modelling phenomena with not much data when you don't even know the shape of the model to use is blooming difficult. So don't smear him. But don't act as if he's definitely right either.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

Carnyx said:

Quite. Britain is an island, not a country. Hence why SNP wants to "break up Britain" is a daft line – as far as I know few nationalists advocate installing some sort of giant jigsaw to run through the Cheviots.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,213

San Marino? Terrible Covid death toll per head of population. Even worse than the UK...
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

What, not him being a 'one-eyed Scottish idiot'?
    You think the main reason for them supposedly "screaming their heads off" was because he was Scottish?
    Who said main?
    I think it was a factor. Unlike Blair, Brown was very identifiably Scottish, regardless of all the Gascoigne goal luvvin', Arctic Monkeys fandom pish he tried. Of course the opposite also applies, why do you think David 'English' Cameron was kept away from any real live Jocks during the indy campaign?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,129
    edited June 2020
    Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

kinabalu said:

Study here finding hearing damage in asymptomatic coronavirus positives -

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7151386/

Not quite so asymptomatic after all then.
    Exactly right. Significant hearing loss is a pretty bad symptom.
    That graph was pretty devastating - very clear high frequency loss.

Plus no discussion one way or another of the onset of tinnitus, or of balance organ damage (like Meniere's), that I could see, either. Those would be real worries.
    This has sadly happened to somebody I know. Severe high frequency hearing loss in one ear. Permanent. Probable cause, a virus. Told not to rule out Covid-19 even though no other symptoms.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

PB BAD SCIENTISTS

•••

It's hard to keep up!!

Is the statement wrong?
    It's only part of his answer. Watch the tape.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

FF43 said:

Carnyx said:

And there are the folk who are British and Irish by law and treaty, whose Irishness is being denied by the government Mr HYUFD supports.
    Far from it, the government has avoided a hard border with the Republic of Ireland while keeping Northern Ireland in the UK
    That is because they put a customs barrier down the Irish Sea, as any fule kno.

But I was talking about being an Irish citizen and British subject. See this:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/may/06/home-office-british-citizenship-northern-ireland--good-friday-agreement

I believe the lady won her case though I have not kept up with what has happened as a result.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

Carnyx said:

Except for the referendum where they decided they did want to be part of the UK, correct.
    Scotland is a completely automonous country.

And Sweden should have exactly the same Covid death rate as the countries nearest it
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

You think the main reason for them supposedly "screaming their heads off" was because he was Scottish?
    Who said main?
    I think it was a factor. Unlike Blair, Brown was very identifiably Scottish, regardless of all the Gascoigne goal luvvin', Arctic Monkeys fandom pish he tried. Of course the opposite also applies, why do you think David 'English' Cameron was kept away from any real live Jocks during the indy campaign?
    Stuart did, above!
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

FF43 said:

Carnyx said:

Certainly. @HYUFD, why can't you be European and British?

Given that Britain is in Europe (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europe) how can someone be British and not European?
    There ius a famous headline in the Times newspaper about weather problems.

"Fog in Channel. Continent Cut Off."
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

PB BAD SCIENTISTS

•••

It's hard to keep up!!

Is the statement wrong?
    Care to fill us in on what the second part was which completely changes the meaning of the first?
  • Options

isam said:

CliffNotes,

If it turns out that "The differences between countries are not primarily down to government actions, but due to 'intrinsic' differences in the populations", the criticism of our governments actions by people who were sure they knew best will age particularly badly
    Why do I get the distinct feeling that Professor Karl Friston (UCL) is about to join Professor Sunetra Gupta (Oxon) in the PB smear tank?

For the same reason that he'll join the icons of the "I don't want to be locked down" cheerleaders?

Got to say, the explanation for the differences between Norway and Sweden that the tenfold extra death rate in Sweden is down to innate intrinsic differences between Norwegians and Swedes rather than Government action is a little hard to swallow.
    Extraordinary claims need extraordinary evidence, after all. I'm not qualified to do a detailed critique of an epidemiological model, but a couple of red flags flutter in front of me.

One is that there's not much doubt that there is a germ involved in this disease, so you have to do a lot of explaining to justify the claim that extreme measures to stop the spread of that germ don't affect its spread.

Linked to that, saying that there is a massive unexplained factor which explains all the differences better than the standard model is possible, but needs extraordinary evidence.

Thirdly, saying that Sweden and the UK have similar outcomes isn't that surprising. Sweden did about as much as can be done short of a lockdown, and the UK's lockdown was about as soft as can still count as a lockdown. The similarity of their outcomes shouldn't be that much of a surprise. Comparisons like Sweden-Norway are much more instructive.

This isn't to say that Prof Friston is wrong. And modelling phenomena with not much data when you don't even know the shape of the model to use is blooming difficult. So don't smear him. But don't act as if he's definitely right either.
    Of course he isn't 'definitely right'. It's well worth watching the interviewing rather than relying on short summaries.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

Carnyx said:

And the one where decided they did want to be part of the EU, after the previous referendum where they were told voting a certain way would guarantee that membership.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

Carnyx said:

Quite. Britain is an island, not a country. Hence why SNP wants to "break up Britain" is a daft line – as far as I know few nationalists advocate installing some sort of giant jigsaw to run through the Cheviots.
    But Britain is often used as shorthand for "the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland", and from that point of view, it makes perfect sense.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

Carnyx said:

Not part of mainland continental Europe no
    Now you’re changing your story. Taking lessons from Cummings?
  • Options
    isam said:

kjh said:

RobD said:

kjh said:

RobD said:

kjh said:

I am here:

Test deleted.

Thanks ISAM.

However I have done that and as Rob pointed out it just posts to my profile, BUT the screen you have is slightly different. I only have a Share button. You have Home, General, Pr... (which I am guessing is Preview) and presumably a post button

So I assume you are somewhere different to me when doing this. Where are you :)
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

PB BAD SCIENTISTS

•••

It's hard to keep up!!

Is the statement wrong?
    Care to fill us in on what the second part was which completely changes the meaning of the first?
    Not really. Watch the tape and listen to his analysis. I'm not here to summarise the work of one of the UK's finest neuroscientists.
  • Options
    kjh said:

isam said:

kjh said:

RobD said:

kjh said:

RobD said:

kjh said:

I am here:

Test deleted.

Thanks ISAM.

However I have done that and as Rob pointed out it just posts to my profile, BUT the screen you have is slightly different. I only have a Share button. You have Home, General, Pr... (which I am guessing is Preview) and presumably a post button

They are on this page - https://politicalbetting.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/8761/politicalbetting-com-blog-archive-a-big-challenge-for-johnson-and-his-minsters-is-that-their-rat#latest
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,313

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Would you be happier if it emerges he has spent several happy hours watching middle aged striptease artists in Edinburgh? :wink:
  • Options
    kjh said:

isam said:

kjh said:

RobD said:

kjh said:

RobD said:

kjh said:

I am here:

Test deleted.

Thanks ISAM.

https://politicalbetting.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/8761/politicalbetting-com-blog-archive-a-big-challenge-for-johnson-and-his-minsters-is-that-their-rat#latest
  • Options
    isam said:

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

It depends where it is set. If it were an adaption set in modern India for instance a Hindu Finch and Muslim Tom could make more sense.
    A play with a white Tom and black Atticus in a setting where whites are treated as a lower class of human would be interesting to watch, and challenge the audience to think about some of the realities and absurdities of racism.
    Recently something fairly similar was done in Noughts and Crosses.

Quite an interesting idea.

It's just a version of this from the 60s isn't it?

https://exploringyourmind.com/blue-eyes-and-brown-eyes-the-jane-elliott-experiment/#:~:text=Jane Elliott's experiment,on the blue-eyed students.
    Yes, it is not a completely new idea, but I thought quite well done, in particular the details such as costumes. White people trying to fit in with black hairstyles etc.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

PB BAD SCIENTISTS

•••

It's hard to keep up!!

Is the statement wrong?
    Not really. Watch the tape and listen to his analysis. I'm not here to summarise the work of one of the UK's finest neuroscientists.
    If it was so easy to debunk based on what he said I'm not sure why you are so hesitant to do so.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

Carnyx said:

But Britain is often used as shorthand for "the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland", and from that point of view, it makes perfect sense.
    England is often used as shorthand for the UK.

Doesn't make it right.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Would you be happier if it emerges he has spent several happy hours watching middle aged striptease artists in Edinburgh? :wink:
    I can honestly say I've never seen him around the Pubic Triangle (my reason for being there is actually the excellent 2/hand bookshops)!
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

PB BAD SCIENTISTS

•••

It's hard to keep up!!

Is the statement wrong?
    No doubt a clever fellow, but is a neuroscientist better at epidemiology than the next clever fellow?
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    HYUFD said:
    Curtains/Skinhead is the new Leave/Remain
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

PB BAD SCIENTISTS

•••

It's hard to keep up!!

Is the statement wrong?
    If it was so easy to debunk based on what he said I'm not sure why you are so hesitant to do so.
    For crying out loud – watch the tape, you lazy sod.

Intrinsic immunity is one factor. There are other factors – such as geographical and behavioural – which achieve the same effect, all of which combine to create an effective non-susceptibility of 50%.

WATCH THE TAPE IF YOU ARE INTERESTED
  • Options
    Foxy said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

PB BAD SCIENTISTS

•••

It's hard to keep up!!

Is the statement wrong?
    No doubt a clever fellow, but is a neuroscientist better at epidemiology than the next clever fellow?
    I don't know, why not watch the tape and make your own mind up?
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Who said main?
    Yet IIRC he would never admit to being Scottish but only British, at least in his PM years. I think only an American radio lady managed to extract that admission ever, was that not the case?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Just because Bozo doesn't care about hairstyles doesn't mean the rest of us need to avoid a trim!
  • Options
    isam said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

There was that TV drama series recently which was just this. Did not watch it myself but I heard it worked well.
    In psychology class at college we studied Jane Elliott's "blue eyes/brown eyes" experiment - that puts the absurdities of racism across quite well, as does the song "War" by Bob Marley.
    It is absurd but it's also ingrained in people. I would say most people (to a greater or lesser extent). Certainly I tend to be dubious if somebody claims to be entirely free of it.
  • Options

Foxy said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

PB BAD SCIENTISTS

•••

It's hard to keep up!!

Is the statement wrong?
    because I cannot watch it in my lunchbreak in the staffroom?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Personally I also never questioned Brown's right to be PM under our parliamentary system
    Let’s be honest @HYUFD the current incarnation of the Conservative Party is simply the English National Party.
  • Options

Fishing said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

Carnyx said:

Doesn't make it right.
    Indeed. I've stopped using Britain/British in any context at all where UK is the correct wording. Above all in politics where to use 'Britain' begs the question of whether you include the Irish and Manx bits or not.
  • Options

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Really? Are you sure that is not just a particular slant that you have?
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,331

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Let’s be honest @HYUFD the current incarnation of the Conservative Party is simply the English National Party.

A clear case of trolling.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Those chimaeras can be a bugger.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,059

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Nonetheless true.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Who said main?
    Yet IIRC he would never admit to being Scottish but only British, at least in his PM years. I think only an American radio lady managed to extract that admission ever, was that not the case?
    Yep, I guess so. That made the fact that his every utterance was laden with the Fife infused, cumbersome tones of the manse even more ridiculous.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

Carnyx said:

And the one where decided they did want to be part of the EU, after the previous referendum where they were told voting a certain way would guarantee that membership.
    The one way Scotland could have guaranteed exiting the EU, would have been to have voted Yes.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,331

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Nonetheless true.

If you say so,...….
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

There was that TV drama series recently which was just this. Did not watch it myself but I heard it worked well.
    In psychology class at college we studied Jane Elliott's "blue eyes/brown eyes" experiment - that puts the absurdities of racism across quite well, as does the song "War" by Bob Marley.
    It is absurd but it's also ingrained in people. I would say most people (to a greater or lesser extent). Certainly I tend to be dubious if somebody claims to be entirely free of it.
    Definitely, yes.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

PB BAD SCIENTISTS

•••

It's hard to keep up!!

Is the statement wrong?
    because I cannot watch it in my lunchbreak in the staffroom?
    You can watch it later or on your phone
  • Options
    @isam and @RobD - Sorry that was so painful. Thank you chaps.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,680
    Foxy said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

PB BAD SCIENTISTS

•••

It's hard to keep up!!

Is the statement wrong?
    He is speaking as a modeller, not as a neuroscientist. And he recognises that an epidemioloist would be better than himself, in coming up with explanations. So in terms of figures, he is obviously much to be preferred to your run-of-the-mill medic without expertise in modelling, leaving other experts to coome up with the explanations.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

PB BAD SCIENTISTS

•••

It's hard to keep up!!

Is the statement wrong?

Intrinsic immunity is one factor. There are other factors – such as geographical and behavioural – which achieve the same effect, all of which combine to create an effective non-susceptibility of 50%.

What if the behavioural component was removed? Because isn't the central premise of lockdown skeptics that they want to get rid of the lockdown. Without that, there should be virtually no difference between the Nordic countries.
  • Options
    A bit of Only Fools that reminds me of the different standards applied to Cummings' and Gardiner's adherence to lockdown rules

Del
    No, no, you can't go in there.
    That's my Grandad's room!

Albert
    Yeah but - I'm his brother!

Del
    Yeah, that don't make no
    difference. Only me and Rodney
    are allowed in that room! That
    room is gonna remain exactly
    as he left it! That room is
    going to be a shrine dedicated
    to the memory of my Grand-
    father.

Albert
    I understand Del!

Del
    No, we'll just have to think
    of something else that's all.
    Listen, if I get the big
    mattress out of Rodney's room
    I can put it down. No, I'd
    never get it through the door
    would I.

Rodney enters from the hall carrying the batteries.

Rodney
    Oi, where'd you want these
    then?

Del
    Oh, sling 'em in Grandad's
    room for now will you Rodney.

• Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

Carnyx said:

The one way Scotland could have guaranteed exiting the EU, would have been to have voted Yes.
    Uhuh. Well we've got some alternative history fluff v. the actuality. The actuality is what we have to deal with.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027
    edited June 2020

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Really? Are you sure that is not just a particular slant that you have?
    If you look at Hansard you can find complaints by Tory MPs about how Scots run the United Kingdom.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Who said main?

I thought it was a mistake not using Cameron more during the campaign. For all that I was not a fan, he was a good speechmaker, and the one speech he made to an audience of corporates in Edinburgh was well done. I watched it with a Scottish colleague who afterwards said 'there, that was all he needed to say'. I also didn't see any harm in him being publicly heckled - Blair would have just gone for it and got some sympathy out of it.

I completely disagree with you about Brown's Scottishness getting him abused. There's a huge perception gap here between slight intended and slight taken and internalised. It is very hard for an English person who hasn't spent time in Scotland to understand.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

PB BAD SCIENTISTS

•••

It's hard to keep up!!

Is the statement wrong?

What if the behavioural component was removed? Because isn't the central premise of lockdown skeptics that they want to get rid of the lockdown. Without that, there should be virtually no difference between the Nordic countries.
    Norway reckon it would have made no difference if they hadn't locked down, in hindsight. If they hadn't, I wonder what people would be saying now?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,242
    NHS England numbers out - 115
    Last 7 days - 97
    Spanish Style - 24

• Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,814

isam said:

CliffNotes,

Indeed.
    It's a brand new virus. Which means that there's always things about it we don't know.
    For example, it's only recently come to light that infection out-of-doors is considerably less likely than infection inside. Very useful information, would have been great to have that sooner, but understandable that it wasn't known.

The assumption that there's something mysterious and unknown that will automatically protect us and make this not a problem and all go away without anything being done is, though, a massive assumption to make when literally hundreds of thousands of lives in this country would be staked on that being right.

I mean, it's not impossible, of course. I'd love for it to be the case that loads of us are automatically somehow immune. I'd love it even more if my family and all my loved ones were all in such a category.

But, as with military planning and engineering planning - and with both skydiving and flying aircraft - just because it's possible for everything to go marvelously right does not mean you go around staking lives on that without getting the evidence for it first.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Who said main?
    Yep, I guess so. That made the fact that his every utterance was laden with the Fife infused, cumbersome tones of the manse even more ridiculous.
    Brown's Scottishness actually worked well in terms of his personal brand I think. The son of the manse thing meant he was perceived as particularly upright, and there's also something about the perceived parsimony of Scots that went well with his 'iron chancellor' image. Sadly, the problem for Brown was that in reality he was a tax and spend Chancellor, and so didn't live up to it.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    HYUFD said:
    Rather a stupid survey question really. If people still wish to clap, they remain free to do it!It does not appeal to me but if I wanted to carry on clapping I would not be deterred by others deciding to discontinue.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Fishing said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

Carnyx said:

Doesn't make it right.
    Indeed. I've stopped using Britain/British in any context at all where UK is the correct wording. Above all in politics where to use 'Britain' begs the question of whether you include the Irish and Manx bits or not.
    What alternative to 'British' do you use to describe the population of the UK?
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,814

Foxy said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

PB BAD SCIENTISTS

•••

It's hard to keep up!!

Is the statement wrong?
    Yeah, I remember being told that about the interview with the old Swedish epidemiologist guy, and that provided zero extra light. Apart from making me feel very sorry for him.

If you've watched it, why don't you summarise the answer to the differences between Norway and Sweden? After all, it's what economists call a "natural experiment" (like the economies of West and East Germany under different systems): cultures, economies, population distributions, genetics, healthcare all very similar, so outcomes should be broadly comparable. The tenfold difference in outcomes is very readily and obviously explicable by the difference in public health choice, so it's definitely going to be a big step to get to these intrinsic differences (whatever they are between these two Nordic peoples) explaining it all and the increased isolation from an infectious disease being of zero contribution.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

Fishing said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

Carnyx said:

Doesn't make it right.
    Accursed progeny of the imperial pretended state entity of Saxe Cobourg Gotha.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

Fishing said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

Carnyx said:

Doesn't make it right.
    UK subjects.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,177
    edited June 2020
    Did anyone see the Piers Morgan - RudyGiuliani interview?

Moron1: Your mum's a puss
    Moron2: No, your mom's a puss
    Moron1: No, your mum's a puss
    Moron2: No, your mom!
    Moron1: YOUR MUM! And I've shagged your sister.

I know that Moron has really stuck the boot into the government over them not coming on the show. But I can kind of see why.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,399
    edited June 2020

Re the thread, yes I agree that the Government's reaction to the virus will probably be one of those traumatic events that will remain with voters for years and will impact on the outcome of the next election. The parallel which the Tories will fear is that of Black Wednesday in 1992 which served to undermine their claims to economic competence all the way up to the 1997 general election. The response to the virus is undermining any possible idea that Johnson runs a generally competent government, such has been the shambles witnessed on multiple fronts.

In political terms, the impact will get worse for Johnson. There is a deep recession on the horizon and the question is whether the Conservatives will be blamed for its depth not least on account of their mistakes having led to the UK being late out of the lockdown.

Yesterday saw another 359 deaths confirmed by testing in the UK. That was more than the total recorded for the rest of Europe combined.

Ahem.

https://order-order.com/2020/06/04/newsnights-fake-news-graph-punishes-honesty/
    OK, if it makes you feel any better I'm not really bothered to argue with the nuance of that point. It would still means that the UK's total of daily deaths was yesterday "only" nearly as high as the total that should have been recorded for the rest of Europe combined. Ahem indeed.

What I'm not prepared to accept is that the death statistics as a whole including those on excess deaths do anything other than support the claim that the UK's response to the virus has led to outcomes worse than anywhere else in Europe.
    No -you missed it. it's not "nearly" and "nuance"; it's a steaming pile of bullshit,

Nearly all of the 359 deaths in the number are from the previous fortnight, and the comparison is entirely spurious. The actual number of deaths from yesterday was 20, which will increase as others move through the process and we may have some idea of perhaps 90% of the total in 7 days.

On this one Guido is correct in skewering Newsnight, whose reporting was misleading to (and perhaps beyond) the point off dishonesty. But he diidn't skewer them enough.

They talked about "daily deaths" with the totally misrepresented numbers for their tabloid splash, then went into a spiel about how important it was to be careful.

Just a shitty news report. I don't really know how the Newsnight Editor can sleep at night.

• Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,229

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

What an absolute moron....he does know a number of footballers caught it between weekly tests without knowing, and without really going anywhere but the odd trip to the shops. And obviously, he could catch it at the protest and transport it.

https://twitter.com/BarryGardiner/status/1268216199898296322?s=20

Maybe, maybe not. At some point we need to get back to "normal" and we can't all be in the middle of any number of sets of tests.
    Going to stand in a crammed crowd of 1000s it absolutely moronic.
    He had tested negative. What plan are you suggesting for people who test negative in society? Still 2m come what may?
    Not attending mass events for the foreseeable future. They are one of the known ways that this thing spreads bigly. Germany big initial outbreak, Carnival celebrations, 40% of people got it. The level of coronavirus in society is still high.

If I was a Muslim that just forewent usual Eid celebrations because of the rules, I would be mighty pissed off to see this.

Big Dom should have gone, but his trip to Durham wasn't risking loads of peoples health.
    I agree that if people are going to demonstrate they should keep distance from each other. But there's a big difference between 300 people crowding into a community centre, and drinking, eating, hugging, kissing each other on the cheek and singing together for several hours, and people gathering outside in the streets.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

Carnyx said:

Uhuh. Well we've got some alternative history fluff v. the actuality. The actuality is what we have to deal with.
    Indeed. There are three professions where the road not taken is important. One is dfiscussing, for instance, the significance of the origin of the mammals. Another is history - the moment you invoke causality you open up alternative histories (e.g. the significance of Mr Lincoln's Proclamation about slavery). The third is politics.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

Fishing said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

Carnyx said:

Doesn't make it right.
    Accursed progeny of the imperial pretended state entity of Saxe Cobourg Gotha.
    I laughed at that!
This discussion has been closed.