Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As CON MPs get increasingly concerned about Boris the 3/2 that

Comments

• TresTres Posts: 2,164
    When I was a kid Scouts was for the normal kids and the Boys Brigades for the religious/sectarian mob.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    Videos from around March 12th by Halpern, Vallance and Harries looked to have aged appallingly.
    The most deadly groupthink in years.
  • contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    Mango said:

Mango said:

I wonder in ths same period how many black people under 25 have been killed by black people under 25. I am still struggling with the concept of the BLM movement when they never mention black people killing black people. The murders at the weekend were just ignored.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Racist arsewits whose sole argument is desperate whataboutery mention black-on-black crime all the time.
    Yeh, black on black crime is just not a thing, right?

Black lives only matter when they are taken by whites. Or white police, actually. White Criminals is OK.
    It is a thing, but I reckon the best label of that thing would be "crime". Now crime is a complex issue, and we could fill many a socially undistanced lecture theatre with academics with a multitude of views in how to address it, but I think one thing they would all agree on would that the police should on balance try to stop crime, and not commit more of it.

In the meantime, keep digging.
    You're right, the US police must be rubbish, given the incredible numbers of black people slaughtering other black people in their cities.

They must be sitting around in their cars all day, eating donuts.

• AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Pulpstar said:

Videos from around March 12th by Halpern, Vallance and Harries looked to have aged appallingly.

No one seems to have asked them the most basic questions, such as:

1) what are the points of greatest uncertainty in your analysis?
    2) what if you're wrong about any/all of those?
    3) why do you think everyone else is following a different approach?

This was a brand new disease, poorly understood (it still is) and they seem to have proceeded with blithe certainty about everything.
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

rkrkrk said:

The silence from those Leavers on the site who angrily denounced me when I pointed out that the government was not going to let a mere pandemic delay its timetable is telling.

But I expect they’ve all rewritten their memories by now.
    Not a leaver, but will hold my hand up to say I thought we would quietly agree an extension. Overall I'm starting to think I've seriously overestimated the competence of this government.
    I am pretty certain there will be no extension but also no "WTO" Brexit.

I expect an "interim deal" by the year-end which keeps things closely aligned into 2021, with suitable wording about "selective divergence" being on the table for future negotiation.

An extension without an extension in other words.

I suspect now that the government will largely fold, as it did in 2019. This will be proclaimed a triumph, as it was in 2019. The difference is that Tory MPs will have more time to absorb what has been agreed to.
    A virtual certainty imo.

And I think Johnson can sell it so long as FM is (at least technically) ended.
    I bloody well hope we do fold ! The alternative of WTO tariffs with the EU whole world will beggar us beyond belief.
    Quite so.

WTO Brexit has imo always been a total non-starter. Bit like Ref2. Never the remotest chance of it happening.

But it sure oils many a discussion! :smile:
    Only if the government accepts a deal which keeps us in the single market in all but name with the exception of free movement will we avoid WTO terms Brexit.

That is possible but it would revive the Brexit Party and see Rees Mogg resign and a rebellion on the Tory backbenches from Francois, Cash, Baker, Redwood, IDS etc again
    Actually JRM resigning with the others would be a very good thing for the party
    I'd have no objections to seeing them gone either!
  • BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884

Pulpstar said:

This was a brand new disease, poorly understood (it still is) and they seem to have proceeded with blithe certainty about everything.
    almost as if putting science correspondents on the daily briefings may have actually been a wiser move.
    I do take @YBarddCwsc's point that a huge weight of responsibility lay on the scientists' shoulders. They should be allowed a lot of leeway for that.

That said, they appear to have elected for a narrow path through the pandemic when others were looking at taking a broader path. The chances of falling off it were that much greater as a result.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,722

'Wink 5 times if you're being held against your will'

https://twitter.com/devisridhar/status/1271447120881606657?s=20

Ooops!

Pulpstar said:

almost as if putting science correspondents on the daily briefings may have actually been a wiser move.
    This was a job for the politicians to undertake. They didn't.

And of course, Boris Johnson didn't even turn up for the meetings to quiz them.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,852

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Sean_F said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Unless it turns out that his illness has caused him to be permanently disabled, Boris isn't going anywhere, despite the wishful thinking of his opponents. Yes, Covid and its after-effects are going to make the next couple of years a nightmare across the Western world, but that’s unavoidable whoever the leader is, and there’s plenty of opportunity to get back to a semblance of good times by 2024.

As for ephemeral polls, the current orgy of cultural vandalism has interrupted Labour’s rise as the public wakes up to what the fuck they may be voting into power, as yesterday’s Survation suggests...

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1271057897196306433

One solitary statue of a mass murderer gets unlawfully taken down, the rightists of PB call it an “orgy of cultural vandalism” and imply the Labour Party is to blame. In the meantime, we will have around 60,000 excess deaths as a result of the Government’s muddled response, more than any comparable country on an aggregate or per capita basis, and the worst economic downturn in the industrialised world, but that’s “unavoidable whoever the leader is”. In the words of one commentator here “you couldn’t make it up”.
    One solitary statue taken down by a violent mob explicitly celebrated by Labour MP Nadia Whittome:

https://twitter.com/NadiaWhittomeMP/status/1269732031128383490

Note her exact words about a future Labour Government:

'I celebrate these acts of resistance.'

'We need a movement that will tear down systemic racism and the slave owner statues that symbolise it. And we need to win a government that will always be on the side of this movement.'

The statue's vandals have published a hit list of dozens more across the country to destroy, and they've already defaced many more, including Churchill, Lincoln, and Gandhi.

Meanwhile, Labour mayors and councils across the country are jumping at the opportunity to 'review' their local monuments, and in the case of Sadiq Khan, to just send in the JCBs as he did with Milligan.

I'm afraid the facts speak for themselves about the left's intentions.
    And I’m afraid the numbers speak for themselves as to the number of people your party has negligently allowed to die these last three months. Are you on the side of living humans or statues? The impression you give is that you give more of a damn about chunks of metal celebrating mass murderers like Coulson and Milligan than the people of this country. But I am sure that is not the case.
    I'm sure the eventual public inquiry will establish exactly what occurred in this unprecendented global pandemic and the extent to which deaths could or could not have been avoided. Of course, you have all the answers now, thanks to your handy time machine.

'Living humans or statues' isn't a mutually-exclusive choice, by the way. One can want to save as many lives as possible from the pandemic, as the Government is doing, while deploring the violence and cultural vandalism of the far left. People have noticed what they're about, and it doesn't look as though they like it...
    You base your entire paranoid polemic on one tweet from one Labour MP and a single Survation Poll that still shows your party’s support far more than halved in a month. As for “time machine” - you forget I borrowed yours, you know the one you use to predict elections? In the meantime the below tweets represent the actual views of the Labour Party - and most people in this country

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1269949806463668224

https://twitter.com/DavidLammy/status/1269919037426929664

David Lammy has - to my amazement - won my respect on this occasion. He explicitly said that he doesn't condone violence and riots AND that he would not march with BLM because that would make him a hypocrite after criticizing Cummings.

As for Starmer, on the other hand, actions speak louder than words. Two days after the illegal actions of that mob, he and dozens of Labour MPs put out photos of themselves kneeling in support of the protesters.

If they didn't mean to lend their implicit support to illegal acts of violence then literally kneeling before a movement that had perpetrated them very publicly a couple of days earlier was a funny way of showing it...
    They were kneeling in support of a movement protesting the racist torture murder of a black civilian by the police of our closest ally. That is what the protests are about, not some imagined “cultural vandalism”, which is a straw man minor by product emphasised by people such as yourself to divert attention from the real issues that need highlighting. But of course you place an equivalence on preserving the memory of the dead enslavers of Black people rather than the actual lives of their living descendants.
    There is literally no comparison between the US and UK on this score, so importing the context of their racial conflicts to this country makes absolutely no sense. Here are the figures to prove it:

Since 1870, police forces in Great Britain have killed 220 people. Three of them were in 2019, and one in 2018.

In the US, in 2019, 1,098 people were killed by police. That's 5x as many deaths caused by police in 2019 as in the last 150 years in the UK!

Funny how the USA is suddenly our 'closest ally' for lefties when they want to import their cultural conflicts, but they want absolutely nothing to do with them at any other time...

"Taking the knee" is an alternative to violent protest. The fact that Colin Kaepernick tried it and lost his career means that some people have gone further because, clearly, it didn't work. The actions of Starmer et al are, if anything, an attempt to encourage people to undertake less violent forms of protest by going back to an earlier stage.
    You can peacefully protest what happens on Mars for all I care. It's when the protesters turn violent, assault the police, and commit criminal damage that it becomes illicit - as is now clearly the case.

'between 1990 and 2014 380 deaths in police custody in England and Wales (or as a result of contact with the police were reported), 69 were from BME communities – 18%'

Otherwise known as fewer than 3 individuals per year in the latter group. There should be obviously be as few deaths in police custody as possible, but those figures are no reason for nationwide unrest.

'The actions of Starmer et al are, if anything, an attempt to encourage people to undertake less violent forms of protest by going back to an earlier stage'

That's some heroic spin indeed. Tell me, if a mob of Brexiteers had destroyed an EU monument - and put out a list of dozens more targets they intended to destroy - and then Boris and dozens of Conservative MPs had put out photos of themselves kneeling in support of the Brexiteers, would your interpretation be as generous?

Somehow I think not.
    Deaths at police hands are unusual in this country, and deaths at police hands where the police officers concerned have committed a crime are very unusual. The officer who killed Azelle Rodney was prosecuted for murder and acquitted. Having read about the case, I don't think the officer gunned the man down just because he was black.
    I wonder in ths same period how many black people under 25 have been killed by black people under 25. I am still struggling with the concept of the BLM movement when they never mention black people killing black people. The murders at the weekend were just ignored.
    You "struggle with the concept" of an anti-racism movement that concentrates on highlighting racism?
    I struggle with the concept of an organisation called Black Lives Matter than isn't really about black lives mattering.

If it was about black lives mattering would actually be asking the police to come down far more heavily on the black people cutting a swathe through black communities of America in a well documented explosion of violence and murder that far outweighs anything anybody in the white community could do,

Instead black lives matter is facilitating the acceleration of that explosion by what we see in Mineapolis and Seattle. Chicago too. The protests coincided with a bloodbath of black on black murders there last week end.
    Then I guess your mind would cope a little easier if they were called "Against White Cops Murdering Black Men."

Something like that. More specific. More literal. More auditable even.

I'll let them know.
    More truthful perhaps.
    Great. We're on a roll.

'Black Lives Matter' is now 'Racist White Cops Matter'.

Now how about other names of things that you "struggle with the concept of".

Islamophobia? Would you like to change that one?
    Triggeredtown - population you.
    I am merely offering to ease your "struggles" with various concepts and terms.

But not to worry - it's not mandatory.
    malcolmg said:

TOPPING said:

Brom said:

TOPPING said:

Brom said:

Scott_xP said:

Brom said:

Oh Scott, you tried your best but you lost.

Everyone in the country who values truth, honesty and integrity lost.

But you're a winner...
    I am a winner and Brexit is happening. I'm sure there's some lies on twitter you can retweet as you stomp your feet. :wink:
    If you really think Brexit will resemble anything particularly different from our existing EU membership then either you have not been paying attention, or you really are as dumb as the rest of the loonies and fruitcakes.
    How mad must those 10 billion people who marched against it and all the FBPE fanatics on twitter be then if they're getting angry over nothing? You should probably tell James O'Brien too while you're at it that nothing is changing.
    As mentioned, the terms of our trade and relations will not change too much, save for everything will henceforth be done on the EU's terms (witness the u-turn today).

And the opportunity cost has been huge but as I said, Leavers don't generally deal in concepts and I suppose if they can't drop it on their foot it doesn't really exist.
    I think the opposite will happen and remain confident the UK will outgrow the Eurozone over the course of this decade.
    LOL you ain't half in for a shock when you come out of your fantasy world.
    We have for the past two decades despite all the warnings about what would happen if we don't join the Euro and having half of the last decade been debating our EU membership and/or after the referendum.

I don't see any reason for things to change. The UK is adept at adapting to the world. The EU is a sclerotic behemoth. Agile and nimble beats brute, lumbering monstrosities.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,625

Pulpstar said:

Question the wisdom of senior journalists (only generalists can be senior) being the journalists in the daily briefings is An Attack On Democracy And Freedom Of The Press.

Pulpstar said:

Except of course if its true as we discussed yesterday that if the SAGE scientists wanted to continue to continue down the Swedish route at least a week more and if its true that questioning from Cummings saw them change to lockdown, then Cumming and the governments questioning probably saved 50,000 lives from being lost. We'd probably be at over a hundred thousand dead now otherwise.
  • Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,766

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

rkrkrk said:

The silence from those Leavers on the site who angrily denounced me when I pointed out that the government was not going to let a mere pandemic delay its timetable is telling.

Not a leaver, but will hold my hand up to say I thought we would quietly agree an extension. Overall I'm starting to think I've seriously overestimated the competence of this government.

I expect an "interim deal" by the year-end which keeps things closely aligned into 2021, with suitable wording about "selective divergence" being on the table for future negotiation.

I suspect now that the government will largely fold, as it did in 2019. This will be proclaimed a triumph, as it was in 2019. The difference is that Tory MPs will have more time to absorb what has been agreed to.
    A virtual certainty imo.

I bloody well hope we do fold ! The alternative of WTO tariffs with the EU whole world will beggar us beyond belief.
    Quite so.

WTO Brexit has imo always been a total non-starter. Bit like Ref2. Never the remotest chance of it happening.

Only if the government accepts a deal which keeps us in the single market in all but name with the exception of free movement will we avoid WTO terms Brexit.

That is possible but it would revive the Brexit Party and see Rees Mogg resign and a rebellion on the Tory backbenches from Francois, Cash, Baker, Redwood, IDS etc again
    I hope they are told that if they rebel they will have the whip removed permanently, but I expect they will be given a Cummings-like set of excuses and excused by the bullshitter-in-chief.
    malcolmg said:

kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

rkrkrk said:

A virtual certainty imo.

Quite so.

Ha Ha Ha , I would not like you as a fortune teller
    I'm borderline spooky, Malcolm, all know that.

Bet you all my wordly goods against a sausage roll that there is no WTO Brexit.

Pulpstar said:

Except of course if its true as we discussed yesterday that if the SAGE scientists wanted to continue to continue down the Swedish route at least a week more and if its true that questioning from Cummings saw them change to lockdown, then Cumming and the governments questioning probably saved 50,000 lives from being lost. We'd probably be at over a hundred thousand dead now otherwise.
    I have no interest in ever engaging with you. Please desist.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274

Pulpstar said:

It certainly would have been much better in holding the government.to account, rather than Prof Peston getting everything wrong as soon as it came to sciencey and mathsy stuff. Instead we just got 3 months of booyah stuff from these press conferences.
  • SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,879
    So George Osborne is to be replaced as Evening Standard editor by the sister of Samantha Cameron. Another shining example of how the elite has been laid low by the Brexit vote!!!
  • StockyStocky Posts: 9,653

malcolmg said:

TOPPING said:

Brom said:

TOPPING said:

Brom said:

Scott_xP said:

Brom said:

But you're a winner...
    I am a winner and Brexit is happening. I'm sure there's some lies on twitter you can retweet as you stomp your feet. :wink:
    If you really think Brexit will resemble anything particularly different from our existing EU membership then either you have not been paying attention, or you really are as dumb as the rest of the loonies and fruitcakes.
    How mad must those 10 billion people who marched against it and all the FBPE fanatics on twitter be then if they're getting angry over nothing? You should probably tell James O'Brien too while you're at it that nothing is changing.
    As mentioned, the terms of our trade and relations will not change too much, save for everything will henceforth be done on the EU's terms (witness the u-turn today).

And the opportunity cost has been huge but as I said, Leavers don't generally deal in concepts and I suppose if they can't drop it on their foot it doesn't really exist.
    I think the opposite will happen and remain confident the UK will outgrow the Eurozone over the course of this decade.
    We have for the past two decades despite all the warnings about what would happen if we don't join the Euro and having half of the last decade been debating our EU membership and/or after the referendum.

I don't see any reason for things to change. The UK is adept at adapting to the world. The EU is a sclerotic behemoth. Agile and nimble beats brute, lumbering monstrosities.
    "Big fucks small, always". Alfie, in Peaky Blinders.
    Scott_xP said:
    Wagner doesn't understand it seems that the legislation these regulations are being put through under was passed before Tony Blair even became Prime Minister.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,584

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

Yes. There's lots of it about in Wodehouse and in fiction of the period generally, as there was in public and political attitudes. And genius was not exempt. Wagner. Nietzsche. Dickens. Trollope. Chandler.

Chandler ? Examples please.
    Farewell my Lovely.
    Ah, you are referring to racial slurs rather than antisemitism?
    Yes. I can't think of anything in Chandler to be anti semitic about at the moment, but my memory isn't great.
    I think Gutman is a Jewish name, no?

Chandler is certainly teetering on the borderline here.
    I think the evidence supports Chandler on this point -
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2007/nov/28/usa.biography
    ...he refused to join a La Jolla country club that kept out Jews....

- but his views were very much of the time, with the treatment of Hispanic characters particularly derogatory.

Having reread (after several decades) a couple of the novels fairly recently, I was surprised to recognise just how unpleasant some of it was.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    Scott_xP said:
    Seat of pants legislation? Is that the new name for statutory instruments?
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,739

So George Osborne is to be replaced as Evening Standard editor by the sister of Samantha Cameron. Another shining example of how the elite has been laid low by the Brexit vote!!!

https://twitter.com/JeremyCliffe/status/1271449928628416514

https://twitter.com/JeremyCliffe/status/1271452971067473926
  • StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

HYUFD said:

We're now officially a cosplay nation. I fully expect the Democratic Football Lads Alliance to dress up as Restoration gentlemen slavers in response to the next terrorist outrage.

https://twitter.com/bsgorrie/status/1271425180875833344?s=20

Shades of PG Wodehouse teasing Spodes' black trousers brigade
    Maybe I’m out of date, but isn’t that the standard uniform for scout leaders?

It’s interesting how all the lefties on here are all trying to mock the people protecting the statue and not the handful of haters who want to see it come down.
    Yes if the left want to launch a cultural war and attack Churchill and Baden Powell there will be only one winner and that will not be them
    Maybe my cynicism is approaching Penarth levels but are elements of the Hard Left, bitter at the loss of Corbyn, driving this to undermine Starmer indirectly?
    Look at this cultist, believing that every problem the Dear Leader has is because of shadowy forces undermining him.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,588

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

rkrkrk said:

A virtual certainty imo.

Quite so.

JRM, along with Francois, Cash, Baker, Redwood, IDS, Chope, Davis and Bridgen serve as a helpful reminder not to vote Conservative.
  • BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884

Pulpstar said:

It certainly would have been much better in holding the government.to account, rather than Prof Peston getting everything wrong as soon as it came to sciencey and mathsy stuff. Instead we just got 3 months of booyah stuff from these press conferences.
    3 months - and counting.

Pulpstar said:

No thanks.

Its a public forum. If you have no interest in having your views challenged then you can either ignore viewpoints that differ to yours, or talk to a mirror.

When you're ready to apologise for swearing earlier you can. I'm being the bigger person despite your swearing at me.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,286

+1
    Why so many techty people on here today?
    RobD said:

Scott_xP said:
    Seat of pants legislation? Is that the new name for statutory instruments?
    The relevant legislation was passed in 1984, so perhaps some new newspeak terminology is appropriate.

I think what Scott and Wagner are trying to say is that Johnson is doubleplusungood.
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,288
    Any relation to Davina Sheffield who was a one time girlfriend of Prince Charles

Pulpstar said:

No thanks.

Its a public forum. If you have no interest in having your views challenged then you can either ignore viewpoints that differ to yours, or talk to a mirror.

When you're ready to apologise for swearing earlier you can. I'm being the bigger person despite your swearing at me.
    I have no interest in engaging with a simpering cretin who is callous to the risks of pain and suffering that his prejudice leads to. So, and in full awareness of Mike's warning earlier, fuck off.

If I am banned as a consequence, so be it. I won't be a moral vacuum, which is what you evidently are.
    edited June 2020

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

rkrkrk said:

A virtual certainty imo.

Quite so.

I hope they are told that if they rebel they will have the whip removed permanently, but I expect they will be given a Cummings-like set of excuses and excused by the bullshitter-in-chief.
    If they rebel against an agreed deal that absolutely should be the response, following the precedence first set by John Major.
    edited June 2020
    Andrew said:

twitter.com/nigel0061/status/1271457188654059520

Glad i got my reusable respirator mask before people really do start to cotton on to this mask thing.

You got a problem with that?
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    F1: Azerbaijan, Japan, and Singapore are off:
    https://twitter.com/adamcooperF1/status/1271454737553076224
    Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

rkrkrk said:

A virtual certainty imo.

Quite so.

Your 1st para is precisely what I have long predicted and I am almost certain of it now.

Politically, I think Johnson can get away with it without major blowback from Leavers. Immigration being THE issue for most of them. Especially the Red Wallers.
    Regarding the first para, wouldn`t it have been good if the EU had agreed an emergency brake on free movement for nations with high density already when Cameron tried for consessions pre-referendum. Could have avoided all of this.
    Yep. The land of lost content.

As it is - oh dear.

Andrew said:

twitter.com/nigel0061/status/1271457188654059520

Glad i got my reusable respirator mask before people really do start to cotton on to this mask thing.
    My FFP2s for going to the supermarket and chinese are coming in handy.
  • YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited June 2020
    Nigelb said:

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

Yes. There's lots of it about in Wodehouse and in fiction of the period generally, as there was in public and political attitudes. And genius was not exempt. Wagner. Nietzsche. Dickens. Trollope. Chandler.

Farewell my Lovely.
    Yes. I can't think of anything in Chandler to be anti semitic about at the moment, but my memory isn't great.

- but his views were very much of the time, with the treatment of Hispanic characters particularly derogatory.

Having reread (after several decades) a couple of the novels fairly recently, I was surprised to recognise just how unpleasant some of it was.
    Oh, I don't think Chandler was personally antisemitic. He put up with Lillian Hellman as his girlf after all! (And she was genuinely obnoxious IMO)

I was interested in whether Gutman veers into racial stereotyping.
    RobD said:

You got a problem with that?
    https://youtu.be/STIvNjWobzA
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,059

Scott_xP said:
    Wagner doesn't understand it seems that the legislation these regulations are being put through under was passed before Tony Blair even became Prime Minister.
    Incorrect. This statutory instrument is made under section 45R of the 1984 Act, which allows the SoS to introduce one without any form of resolution before the House in an emergency, but that section was only inserted into the 1984 Act by the Health and Social Care Act 2008.
    Stocky said:

malcolmg said:

TOPPING said:

Brom said:

TOPPING said:

Brom said:

Scott_xP said:

Brom said:

But you're a winner...

Its not true though.

Without wanting to trigger @kinabalu the Prime Minister is apparently 40% bigger than Amir Khan, but if they got into a boxing ring my money would certainly be on the smaller and more nimble Khan over the weightier, stodgier unfit Prime Minister.

Fit, nimble, strong and agile beats big, slow and unhealthy.
    England regional case data out - following is by specimen date

• AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    eadric said:

202 deaths in the UK today. Not brilliant

Also: Sweden. Their case numbers are growing fast, another worrying sign

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/sweden/

I've ben trying to find out if Sweden has simply expanded it's testing criteria. Previously they have been quite parsimonious in handing out tests.

With such a surge in numbers you'd expect a rise in ICU cases and that hasn't a happened so I suspect it is just wider testing

Nigelb said:

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

Farewell my Lovely.

Oh, I don't think Chandler was personally antisemitic.
    I doubt he was, he married Monica.
  • CatManCatMan Posts: 2,722

F1: Azerbaijan, Japan, and Singapore are off:
    https://twitter.com/adamcooperF1/status/1271454737553076224

Would be interesting if they do go to Portugal, and the Ferarri test track is also being considered!
    edited June 2020

Stocky said:

malcolmg said:

TOPPING said:

Brom said:

TOPPING said:

Brom said:

Scott_xP said:

Brom said:

But you're a winner...

Its not true though.

Without wanting to trigger @kinabalu the Prime Minister is apparently 40% bigger than Amir Khan, but if they got into a boxing ring my money would certainly be on the smaller and more nimble Khan over the weightier, stodgier unfit Prime Minister.

More like 70% bigger.

Our dreadful response to the 'rona ought to disabuse anyone of the notion that we're somehow a top rank welterweight anyway.
  • MangoMango Posts: 1,013

Which is why Taiwan would kick China's arse if it came to it...

I hadn’t noticed a preponderance of IT people personally.
  • AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited June 2020
    Alistair said:

I've ben trying to find out if Sweden has simply expanded it's testing criteria. Previously they have been quite parsimonious in handing out tests.

Tripled in last two months, currently about 7k/day. That's now a fairly decent number, about 50% more per capita than Italy for example.

Mango said:

Mango said:

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Racist arsewits whose sole argument is desperate whataboutery mention black-on-black crime all the time.

Black lives only matter when they are taken by whites. Or white police, actually. White Criminals is OK.
    It is a thing, but I reckon the best label of that thing would be "crime". Now crime is a complex issue, and we could fill many a socially undistanced lecture theatre with academics with a multitude of views in how to address it, but I think one thing they would all agree on would that the police should on balance try to stop crime, and not commit more of it.

You're right, the US police must be rubbish, given the incredible numbers of black people slaughtering other black people in their cities.

Sounds like black people oppressing and killing other black people is something you think should be an integral part of any discussion on racism. For context, I suppose. Would that be fair?

Stocky said:

malcolmg said:

TOPPING said:

Brom said:

TOPPING said:

Brom said:

Scott_xP said:

Brom said:

But you're a winner...

Its not true though.

Sorry Robert, I`m going to have to side with Peaky Blinders over you on this one.

The full exchange:

Alfie Solomons : Big fucks small always, actually. There is a fight going on out there between big and small. Big will fuck small.

Thomas Shelby : Stay and watch the fight, Alfie.

Alfie Solomons : No, you're all right. I already know who wins, don't I?
    Andrew said:

Alistair said:

Tripled in last two months, currently about 7k/day.
    Positive tests started surging at the beginning of the month. Do you know if that correlates with increased testing?
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,286

People have been tetchy since 2016 or thereabouts.
  • Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Andy_JS said:

eadric said:

Reported today, not taking place today or yesterday. The real number for today is likely to be around 50 according to David Paton's figures.
    Today's NHS England Covid death count is 70 (that's total new deaths reported of course, not an absolute number for today or yesterday.)

https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/statistical-work-areas/covid-19-daily-deaths/

That makes the reporting trend on consecutive Fridays, from the first available date in the series (April 3rd) onwards: 604, 866, 738, 587, 352, 332, 186, 121, 149, 123 and now 70.

The numbers fluctuate but the general direction of travel is still downwards, and today's count is only about one-twelfth of the worst Friday figure, from April 10th. Progress continues, for now at least.

Stocky said:

malcolmg said:

TOPPING said:

Brom said:

TOPPING said:

Brom said:

Scott_xP said:

Brom said:

But you're a winner...

Its not true though.

A better analogy would be Mark Francois v Johnny Vegas. I wouldn’t put money on either but, if pushed, the odds have to be on Vegas winning just be just sitting on Francois.
    Mango said:

Which is why Taiwan would kick China's arse if it came to it...
    Taiwan GDP per capita by PPP $57,214
    China GDP per capita by PPP $20,984

Absolutely Taiwan kicks China's arse massively.

Which would you rather us be like there - Taiwan or China? I have stated my preference, I'd rather be like Taiwan than China. Which would you prefer?
  • So, what? Its going to be a disaster but everyone should pretend its down to the stars?

How about injecting some reality into the body politic instead of the white red and blue fantasy we currently have? Because pretending doesn't help solve the problem either and the problem is the wilful blindess to the country's actual problems and the continued game of blaming the EU for them rather than solving them.

On that score I welcome Brexit (for the reasons Boris Johnson set out in his remain article), because it takes the scapegoat out of British Politics. I wonder who the new scapegoats will be?

Once that blood-letting is over the country can retake its place as a functioning European nation.

Until then the delusion and the behaviour it generates continues.
    It’s been a stupid message from the start that lost the referendum and held our side a hostage to fortune, it may be correct but people haven’t listened and are not going to start now. Time to change the record.
    The great Sweden Mystery

Skane County: Population 1,340,415, Deaths 205
    Västra Götaland County: Population 1,725,881, Deaths 647
    Stockholm County: Population 2,377,081, Deaths 2,185

Skane has Malmo, Västra Götaland has Gothenburg, Stockholm has... er Stockholm.

The death rate difference between Skane and Stockholm is staggering.
    Alistair said:

Positive tests started surging at the beginning of the month. Do you know if that correlates with increased testing?

Looks like it:

Andy_JS said:

eadric said:

Reported today, not taking place today or yesterday. The real number for today is likely to be around 50 according to David Paton's figures.
    Today's NHS England Covid death count is 70 (that's total new deaths reported of course, not an absolute number for today or yesterday.)

https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/statistical-work-areas/covid-19-daily-deaths/

That makes the reporting trend on consecutive Fridays, from the first available date in the series (April 3rd) onwards: 604, 866, 738, 587, 352, 332, 186, 121, 149, 123 and now 70.

The numbers fluctuate but the general direction of travel is still downwards, and today's count is only about one-twelfth of the worst Friday figure, from April 10th. Progress continues, for now at least.
    To put the numbers in graphical context -

Alistair said:

Andrew said:

Alistair said:

Tripled in last two months, currently about 7k/day.
    Answered my own question. Yes they did. You can stop panicking @eadric
    Stocky said:

Stocky said:

malcolmg said:

TOPPING said:

Brom said:

TOPPING said:

Brom said:

Scott_xP said:

Brom said:

But you're a winner...

Its not true though.

Sorry Robert, I`m going to have to side with Peaky Blinders over you on this one.

The full exchange:

Alfie Solomons : Big fucks small always, actually. There is a fight going on out there between big and small. Big will fuck small.

Thomas Shelby : Stay and watch the fight, Alfie.

Alfie Solomons : No, you're all right. I already know who wins, don't I?
    Is it wrong to admit I've never actually watched Peaky Blinders?
    edited June 2020

Pulpstar said:

No thanks.

I have no interest in engaging with a simpering cretin who is callous to the risks of pain and suffering that his prejudice leads to. So, and in full awareness of Mike's warning earlier, fuck off.

If I am banned as a consequence, so be it. I won't be a moral vacuum, which is what you evidently are.
    Off Topic

There seems to have been something resembling bullying by some posters in response, especially to Alistair's views on Brexit. Unparliamentary language aside I for one can understand Alistair's frustration.

My late father was a North Midlands RFU referee decades ago. His view after a player had thrown a punch was what provoked the punch in the first place.

If people are to be shown red cards for their reaction, perhaps a review of what provoked that reaction could be looked at too.

I have made comments, which I would normally avoid making, but some of the commentary by posters who would claim to be supportive of certain actions, are perhaps sometimes written to antagonise those with a more liberal viewpoint. Sometimes they do touch a nerve.

Some posts regarding George Floyd, slavery and Black Lives Matter have been dreadful over the last week or so.

PB is a wonderful resource. Many posters from all political persuasions can inspire and impress. It is not so inspirational or impressive when it is used by some posters as an alternative to ConHome or Labourlist.
    Andrew said:

Alistair said:

Looks like it:

Thanks. Interesting that detected cases stayed basically constant throughout May even though testing number increased.
    Alistair said:

Andrew said:

Alistair said:

Looks like it:

Thanks. Interesting that detected cases stayed basically constant throughout May even though testing number increased.
    Which suggested that either :

- all the increased testing was on people who didn't have COVID19

or

- the cases were falling faster than the increase in tests.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    edited June 2020
    Alistair said:

Possible policy change for who is getting tested might have had an impact:

"Sweden said Tuesday it would make coronavirus testing available to people with milder symptoms as well as those working in critical services to avoid keeping them needlessly at home."
    https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-05-sweden-ramp-coronavirus.html

They've had quite a bit of trouble with getting testing numbers up to decent levels (sounds familiar!) - there was a promise of 14k/day a couple of months back but they're still a good way off.
  • contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    edited June 2020
    kinabalu said:

Mango said:

Mango said:

Sounds like black people oppressing and killing other black people is something you think should be an integral part of any discussion on racism. For context, I suppose. Would that be fair?
    I don't know, it might contextualise things somewhat.

If far more black people are being killed by black people than are being killed by white people, then which is the bigger problem? The evisceration of a community by itself, or police racism against that community?

I'd argue its the former, but for Black Lives Matter its a subset of the latter.

Who speaks for the very large numbers of victims of black on black crime?

Who speaks for George Floyd's victims? does anybody think about they must have felt as their tormentor was lionised as a hero by world leaders?

Personally, I think its pretty much nobody. It certainly isn't black lives matter.

Pulpstar said:

No thanks.

Off Topic

There seems to have been something resembling bullying by some posters in response, especially to Alistair's views on Brexit. Unparliamentary language aside I for one can understand Alistair's frustration.

My late father was a North Midlands RFU referee decades ago. His view after a player had thrown a punch was what provoked the punch in the first place.

If people are to be shown red cards for their reaction, perhaps a review of what provoked that reaction could be looked at too.

I have made comments, which I would normally avoid making, but some of the commentary by posters who would claim to be supportive of actions which perhaps are written to antagonise those with a more liberal viewpoint do sometimes touch a nerve.

Some posts regarding George Floyd, slavery and Black Lives Matter have been dreadful.

PB is a wonderful resource. Many posters from all political persuasions can inspire and impress. It is not so inspirational or impressive when it is used by some posters as an alternative to ConHome or Labourlist.
    Irregular verbs again, I think.

I* am perfectly reasonable
    You are irrational
    He is a {insert insults here}

*Personally, I am biased, aggressive, irrational and generally unhinged. And proud of that.
    edited June 2020

Stocky said:

malcolmg said:

TOPPING said:

Brom said:

TOPPING said:

Brom said:

Scott_xP said:

Brom said:

But you're a winner...

Its not true though.

lol

"Muscles" Johnson would wipe the floor with titchy little Khan surely.

Can't believe you're dissing your man.
    Most of Asia rolling its eyes at this point.

https://twitter.com/HirokoTabuchi/status/1271418269573021696
  • NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,346
    edited June 2020

kinabalu said:

Mango said:

Mango said:

If far more black people are being killed by black people than are being killed by white people, then which is the bigger problem? The evisceration of a community by itself, or police racism against that community?

I'd argue its the former, but for Black Lives Matter its a subset of the latter.

Who speaks for George Floyd's victims? does anybody think about they must have felt as their tormentor was lionised as a hero by world leaders?

Personally, I think its pretty much nobody. It certainly isn't black lives matter.
    One think is for certain, an 18 year old black man is 100 times more likely to be killed by another 18 year old black man than by a white policeman.
    edited June 2020

Pulpstar said:

No thanks.

Off Topic

I have made comments, which I would normally avoid making, but some of the commentary by posters who would claim to be supportive of actions which perhaps are written to antagonise those with a more liberal viewpoint do sometimes touch a nerve.

Some posts regarding George Floyd, slavery and Black Lives Matter have been dreadful.

You are irrational

*Personally, I am biased, aggressive, irrational and generally unhinged. And proud of that.
    Your last statement is why most of us partake. However it is not unreasonable for you to expect me to be respectful towards someone who holds an alternative view.

kinabalu said:

Mango said:

Mango said:

Could you give a list of the people who lionised him and in what way they lionised him?
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    DougSeal said:

Stocky said:

malcolmg said:

TOPPING said:

Brom said:

TOPPING said:

Brom said:

Scott_xP said:

Brom said:

But you're a winner...

Its not true though.

A better analogy would be Mark Francois v Johnny Vegas. I wouldn’t put money on either but, if pushed, the odds have to be on Vegas winning just be just sitting on Francois.
    Yeah there's a reason there are weight classes in combat sports. Amir Khan vs BoJo BojO would get sparked out. Amir Khan vs Joe Joyce Amir is in some kind of trouble.

Pulpstar said:

No thanks.

Off Topic

You are irrational

Your last statement is why most of us partake. It is not unreasonable for you to expect me to be respectful towards someone who holds an alternative view.
    It's more that every time I have met someone who proclaims "I am above the fray - my noble soul allows me to be the unbiased judge of all"*, I find I am dealing with crazed partisan.

An American relative who does pro bono civil rights work, says that in a deposition, the moment he starts hearing about how unbiased someone is, he starts multiplying the damages.

*Or equivalent statements
    edited June 2020
    It's had many ripples outward but the problem at the heart of the recent unrest was the fact that Derek Chauvin knelt on a subdued suspect (FLoyd)'s neck for 8 minutes and 34 seconds.
    That's not some split second fight or flight response, he had plenty of time to cuff Floyd.
    It's one of the most disgusting killings I've seen in years.
    It's completely indefensible, and my instinct is always to defend the police having never known an uncle who was murdered whilst on active duty.
    And if I'm appalled by it, just imagine a black person's view in Minneapolis.
    edited June 2020
    Edit - block quotes are buggered today

Pulpstar said:

No thanks.

Off Topic

You are irrational

Your last statement is why most of us partake. It is not unreasonable for you to expect me to be respectful towards someone who holds an alternative view.
    It's more that every time I have met someone who proclaims "I am above the fray - my noble soul allows me to be the unbiased judge of all"*, I find I am dealing with crazed partisan.

An American relative who does pro bono civil rights work, says that in a deposition, the moment he starts hearing about how unbiased someone is, he starts multiplying the damages.

I am not claiming to be above the fray, quite the opposite if you read what I wrote.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    edited June 2020

kinabalu said:

Mango said:

Mango said:

He did his time for armed robbery, got out, moved to Minneapolis to start over, largely kept his nose clean, found God, even filmed an anti–gun violence video. He wasn’t a model person by any means but he was a model ex-con who paid his debt to his victims and to society by spending five years in prison. He did everything a criminal is supposed to do to rehabilitate himself afterwards. He was an example to ex-cons. But you are suggesting that, rather than be applauded for turning his life around, he should not be grieved after being tortured to death by an agent of the State? Really?
    edited June 2020
    eadric said:

Alistair said:

eadric said:

With such a surge in numbers you'd expect a rise in ICU cases and that hasn't a happened so I suspect it is just wider testing
    Maybe, but they still aren't testing many. On the list of countries by tests per million population, Sweden is down at number 59, behind countries like Chile and Kazakhstan.

Interestingly, on that same list, the UK is now the third best big country in the world (for tests per M) - behind only Russia and Spain, and ahead of Germany, Singapore and Australia, for example

There isn't much to be cheerful about, but maybe that is worth a tiny yay
    I do wish we knew how many people we've tested though ^^;;;;;

We ought to be able to split to "positive test", "negative test", "test not yet returned", "test returned, not yet analysed", "inconclusive test"
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,739
    Pulpstar said:

It's had many ripples outward but the problem at the heart of the recent unrest was the fact that Derek Chauvin knelt on a subdued suspect (FLoyd)'s neck for 8 minutes and 34 seconds.
    That's not some split second fight or flight response, he had plenty of time to cuff Floyd.
    It's completely indefensible, and my instinct is always to defend the police having never known an uncle who was murdered whilst on active duty.

https://twitter.com/journodave/status/1271468683437789184
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950

kinabalu said:

Mango said:

Mango said:

It comes back to Cummings, I'm afraid.

Joe Public breaking lockdown rules = bad.
    Someone who devised the lockdown rules breaking the lockdown rules = far, far worse.

Joe Public (black or white) killing Joe Public (black or white) = bad
    Someone charged with upholding the law and keeping the peace killing Joe Public = far, far worse.
    Someone charged with upholding the law and keeping the peace killing Joe Public when it appears that Joe Public had his rights violated and was discriminated against = worse yet.
    eadric said:

Pulpstar said:

Have the police offered ANY explanation why he knelt on a clearly subdued, unresisting, unarmed man for such a hideously long time?

I've not seen any attempt to rationalise it. So it does look like grotesque and cold-blooded murder.
    If past events are anything to go by, he'll be retiring on a full pension. The whole police system in the US is corrupt.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,776
    edited June 2020
    eadric said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

Temporarily boarding up the Cenotaph and Churchill monument is a sensible move from Khan to prevent an expensive repair bill. I personally abhore any criminal damage of property. I am not sure how criminal damage reflects on the Labour Party, particularly as most sensible key Labour politicians, having condemned racism have also condemned the way the Colston statue, for example, was removed.

BoZo is getting his share of the blame

https://twitter.com/ayeshahazarika/status/1271417762498457600
    That could just be the tipping point for The Democratic Football Lads Alliance.

Tice is playing with fire.
    Er, I think it's the protestors who've been playing with fire as they are the ones attacking the Churchill statue, defacing it, and trying to get murals of Churchill pulled down.

https://twitter.com/habibi_uk/status/1271091977518546949?s=20

Or calling Churchill a c*nt

https://twitter.com/s711art/status/1271155615126167552?s=20
    Trying to think where that is. Is it on the City Churches?
    RobD said:

eadric said:

Pulpstar said:

Have the police offered ANY explanation why he knelt on a clearly subdued, unresisting, unarmed man for such a hideously long time?

I've not seen any attempt to rationalise it. So it does look like grotesque and cold-blooded murder.
    If past events are anything to go by, he'll be retiring on a full pension. The whole police system in the US is corrupt.
    I don't think he will be. Not this time.

Pulpstar said:

No thanks.

Off Topic

You are irrational

I am not claiming to be above the fray, quite the opposite if you read what I wrote.
    I know - I was responding to the idea that all the insults having been flowing one way...

Fun story - the American relative I mention is part of a family of lawyers going back to before WWII. They did Pro Bono civil rights work then, as well.

Since lawyers were a target, they took bodyguards along. Since the threat often was local cops, the bodyguards were.... interesting guys from the neighbourhood (Jewish).

Yes, the way it worked was that the guys they hired spoke to (or worked for) Jewish mob. Who asked their friends in the Italian Mob to speak to Chicago. Who spoke to the Dixie Mafia. Who made it clear to the local yokels that nothing was to happen....

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

eadric said:

Pulpstar said:

I don't think he will be. Not this time.
    We can hope. You are right though, utterly senseless.
  • nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    I expect a deal will be done because Bozo knows the right wing press will big up anything with his name attached to it and he can just rebrand another capitulation as the best deal ever.

Pulpstar said:

And it came hot on the heels of this, a young EMT working double shifts during the COVID19 outbreak shot by cops who came to the wrong apartment as she slept. Her boyfriend, who returned fire, not knowing they were police, has been charged with attempted murder. These protests have not happened just as a result of George Floyds murder.

https://twitter.com/emarvelous/status/1260030673521270787
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Pulpstar said:

No thanks.

Off Topic

I have made comments, which I would normally avoid making, but some of the commentary by posters who would claim to be supportive of certain actions, are perhaps sometimes written to antagonise those with a more liberal viewpoint. Sometimes they do touch a nerve.

Some posts regarding George Floyd, slavery and Black Lives Matter have been dreadful over the last week or so.

A transparent attempt to win the war by lofty generalisation after a week of bruising defeat in each and every individual battle. Nobody has claimed that black lives matter more or less than other lives, not by so much as .001%. They certainly matter more to the average PBer than to that appalling POS George Floyd, because I don't suppose any of us have ever pointed a loaded weapon at a black woman (unless you have something to share?) It's not as if anyone is advocating a change of government policy to a "black lives matter about 30% as much as other sorts" approach, or that we should be complacent about an epidemic of killings of black people by white policemen that disfigures UK society.

And I don't think anyone - and I mean anyone - disputes the incomprehensible evil of the European Atlantic slave trade. You may have misunderstood some crucial parts of the argument.

tldr: why don'y you move to Minnesota?
  • OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,911

HYUFD said:

We're now officially a cosplay nation. I fully expect the Democratic Football Lads Alliance to dress up as Restoration gentlemen slavers in response to the next terrorist outrage.

https://twitter.com/bsgorrie/status/1271425180875833344?s=20

Shades of PG Wodehouse teasing Spodes' black trousers brigade
    Maybe I’m out of date, but isn’t that the standard uniform for scout leaders?

It’s interesting how all the lefties on here are all trying to mock the people protecting the statue and not the handful of haters who want to see it come down.
    Yes if the left want to launch a cultural war and attack Churchill and Baden Powell there will be only one winner and that will not be them
    Maybe my cynicism is approaching Penarth levels but are elements of the Hard Left, bitter at the loss of Corbyn, driving this to undermine Starmer indirectly?
    Lots of people came into the Labour Party on Corbyn's watch who should never been there. It shamed the party, ex SWP members, anti-semites etc etc. Lots of decent people left.

Those people are not going to disappear overnight and I reckon Starmer has 1 to 2 years at most to clear out those that bring the party into disrepute. He has started on the right track getting rid of the likes of Formby, Milne etc. He must carry on and he must be ruthless. He must do what KInnock did to Militant Tendancy.

A year from now any Labour MP demanding that a statue of Churchill be torn down should politely be told that the Labour Party isn't the place for them.

The right wing media will publicise and magnify every incident. Starmer has to ensure that there is very little for them to go on.

This discussion has been closed.