Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Facebook takes down Trump ads for violating policy against org

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited June 2020 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Facebook takes down Trump ads for violating policy against organised hate

In a move that seems unprecedented Facebook has taken down Trump ads infringing the sites policies against organized hate. This looks like a big pointer to how it will operate at WH2020 where the giant social media site was expected to play a huge role.

Read the full story here

Comments

• rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
    First.
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,136
    It's all starting to feel very fin de régime. Even Trump allies like Zuck are seeing which way the wind's blowing and trying to ingratiate themselves with whatever comes next.
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,279
    edited June 2020
    Anglesey and Wrexham Covid 19 outbreaks in food processing plants.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-53091149
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,007
    About bloody time they start to do something
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    edited June 2020
    It’s working out exactly as predicted - an absolute sh!t-show of fake news and misinformation, with social media companies sitting in the middle making profit from the division.

Genuine cross-party support now in the US for taking Facebook, Twitter and Google down a peg or two.

Facebook are even considering allowing users in marginal states to opt out of all political advertising, because they know they’ll lose people from their platform completely if they’re subjected to the next five months of non-stop politics.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    dr_spyn said:

How many meat factories now?

Hope they’re doing some forensic investigation into how these places are spreading things around.
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,279
    Sandpit said:

dr_spyn said:

Hope they’re doing some forensic investigation into how these places are spreading things around.
    I read about the Anglesey plant outbreak, earlier on today. I didn't know about the Wrexham factory outbreak. It remains to be seem if there are similar outbreaks elsewhere in the UK.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    I have an issue with this.

Trump is a spiteful despicable hate monger.

But a major media platform should not be preventing one of two serious candidates in an election from advertising as they see fit. Provided the ads are legal and within the electoral rules they should be permitted.

Otherwise - at best - You create a narrative of “he would have won but”
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    Meatpacking. Just how unhygienic are these places?
    How much other disease is being spread by them?
  • isamisam Posts: 40,722
    edited June 2020
    I watched this for the first time in a few years yesterday. For better or worse, the UK's chattering classes have fully accepted a lot of the ideas of the 1980s GLC and ILEA. In the early 2010s I watched this and saw it as a reminder of strange times in the past, but I would say now it is becoming the consensus.

BLM protestors views are not much different to the material the schools were teaching the kids then. Whether the everyday people's/parents attitudes remain privately as opposed as they were publicly here would be interesting to know

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVdHTtUAaFk
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766
    Sandpit said:

dr_spyn said:

People working in close quarters with loud machinery over which they need to shout.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,052
    Sandpit said:

dr_spyn said:

Noise, meaning staff shout, cold moist surfaces that the virus can flourish on, and cutting carcasses generates aerosols. A poorly paid transient workforce, often living in overcrowded conditions.
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

dr_spyn said:

People working in close quarters with loud machinery over which they need to shout.
    Plus people who work in those factories are not well off, and will likely come to work unless they're really sick.
    Newsnight leads on the "world beating" app.

dixiedean said:

Well, it is how it all started in Wuhan...

The Beijing outbreak is centered on a wholesale meat and seafood market.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709

It's all starting to feel very fin de régime. Even Trump allies like Zuck are seeing which way the wind's blowing and trying to ingratiate themselves with whatever comes next.

The only ally of Zuck is the dollar, he will back whoever wins
    Charles said:

But a major media platform should not be preventing one of two serious candidates in an election from advertising as they see fit. Provided the ads are legal and within the electoral rules they should be permitted.

I know it's a really tough one.

Imagine if Biden ran a campaign claiming: "Convicted paedophile XXX"

Now, you can argue that the courts can (later) sort it out. But the courts are slow moving. Especially if Section 230 is repealed (ironically), then Facebook is responsible for the content of advertisers on its site.

• valleyboyvalleyboy Posts: 605
    Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

Well, it is how it all started in Wuhan...

The Beijing outbreak is centered on a wholesale meat and seafood market.
    There is def7a common thread here.
    Thank god I'm vegetarian.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279

Utterly predictable that it wouldn't work.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,598
    It looks likely that we have a super-spreader culprit.

Too many examples to be a coincidence.
    edited June 2020

Ooh, Allyson Pollock. Always good value...
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,136
    Charles said:

Facebook also has its terms of service, you have a right to publish whatever you like but you don't have a right to publish it on their platform.

Worrying too much about post-election "narratives" are what got Trump elected in the first place. Comey gave him a huge free gift and Hillary spent money trying to win the popular vote instead of swing states. It's nice if everyone feels fairly treated, but the Trump people are going to make up a betrayal story regardless. What really matters is who has the actual power.
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

I know it's a really tough one.

Imagine if Biden ran a campaign claiming: "Convicted paedophile XXX"

Now, you can argue that the courts can (later) sort it out. But the courts are slow moving. Especially if Section 230 is repealed (ironically), then Facebook is responsible for the content of advertisers on its site.

Your example doesn’t work though - you’d get an injunction almost immediately and so it would be pulled. Plus anyone who subsequently tweeted it would be liable

(Of course the Grey Lady could happily write lots of articles stating “Biden was forced to withdraw claims that XXX was a paedophile”... because that’s fair comment)
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,742
    Charles said:

Ooh, an 'I'm no fan of Trump but' by any other name.
    edited June 2020
    HYUFD said:
    The 2016 result was Clinton 48%, Trump 46%, so he's only a 2% swing away from how he won last time.

Charles said:

Facebook also has its terms of service, you have a right to publish whatever you like but you don't have a right to publish it on their platform.

Worrying too much about post-election "narratives" are what got Trump elected in the first place. Comey gave him a huge free gift and Hillary spent money trying to win the popular vote instead of swing states. It's nice if everyone feels fairly treated, but the Trump people are going to make up a betrayal story regardless. What really matters is who has the actual power.
    I don’t like Facebook being able to restrict the ability of one candidate to compete as they see fit.

In many ways the likes of Facebook and Google have become public utilities and should be regulated as such.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,583
    HYUFD said:
    Trump still seems dangerously close nationally. In many swing states Trump is often only slightly south of MOE.
    Foxy said:

Ooh, Allyson Pollock. Always good value...
    No government minister available.

Pathetic.

• kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,840

Yes - all the doors are being closed off now.

Bye Donald. You get yourself some treatment.

Charles said:

Lots of those on here.
    edited June 2020

Charles said:

Nope. I wouldn’t vote for Trump if you paid me.

But I am concerned about process and electoral fairness. If something is legal and within the rules it’s not fit a private company to decide to prevent it being published

Edit: hmm, of course if you paid me to influence my vote that would be a breach of electoral law...
  • justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    A comment in the Labour 2019 post mortem -'“No major party has ever increased their number of MPs by over 60%, which is what Labour would need to do to win in 2024.”
    That is simply not true. In 1945 Labour went from 154 seats to 393.In 1929 the party went from 151 seats to 287. In 1931 the Tories went from 260 seats to 475 - and in 1924 from 258 seats to 412.
    Why show such ignorance of readily available information?
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Charles said:

Massively obvious first amendment violation on free association.

HYUFD said:
    Trump still seems dangerously close nationally. In many swing states Trump is often only slightly south of MOE.
    In no way is this over. Not by a long way. The brutality is about to begin.

Charles said:

I'm flipping this one.

I am no fan of ad suppression but ...
    Alistair said:

Charles said:

I thought the first amendment only restricted congress?
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,007
    Sandpit said:

dr_spyn said:

Quite easily...
    Charles said:

Charles said:

But I am concerned about process and electoral fairness. If something is legal and within the rules it’s not fit a private company to decide to prevent it being published

Edit: hmm, of course if you paid me to influence my vote that would be a breach of electoral law...
    For the record, in my case it would depend on the size of the payment.
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Surely it’s a free media and it can decide what it wants to publish?
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,742
    Charles said:

Charles said:

A private company can't decide what it publishes? Ok.
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Trump just issued an Executive Order "repealing" Section 230 which makes on-line service (like Facebook or politicalbetting) responsible for things posted on them, which complicates this further.

If a candidate were to defame someone on Facebook, then Facebook could potentially be responsible.

(Albeit, the Supreme Court is likely to throw Trump's EO out.)
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,979
    Charles said:

I have no issue with this. Just as long as Trump loses.
    Media platforms are free to do whatever they like providing it is legal.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Charles said:

Alistair said:

Charles said:

I thought the first amendment only restricted congress?
    And Congress couldn't pass a law to force Facebook to carry messages that were against its values.

HYUFD said:

Somehow, someway the Dems seem to have lucked on the best candidate for right here, right now.
    The most boring after a year of pandemic panic. The least Socialist in economic turmoil. The least "woke" in a turbulent, divided society.
    And the one most likely to respond to a slap in the face with a well placed head butt.

HYUFD said:

A little voter suppression in certain wards in certain swing states could make a big difference. I probably wouldn't bother to vote if David Duke's buddies are "monitoring" polling stations.

HYUFD said:
    Yes - you stay worried as agreed and leave the strident certainty to me. ☺
    justin124 said:

A comment in the Labour 2019 post mortem -'“No major party has ever increased their number of MPs by over 60%, which is what Labour would need to do to win in 2024.”
    That is simply not true. In 1945 Labour went from 154 seats to 393.In 1929 the party went from 151 seats to 287. In 1931 the Tories went from 260 seats to 475 - and in 1924 from 258 seats to 412.

Maybe they were restricting it to elections from the last 65 years.
  • eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,861
    Charles said:

Charles said:

I don’t like Facebook being able to restrict the ability of one candidate to compete as they see fit.

In many ways the likes of Facebook and Google have become public utilities and should be regulated as such.
    But they are not restricting one candidate. They are removing one ad that they consider oversteps their redlines. If Trump's team upload an acceptable ad it will be published. Most of media works this way.
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Somehow, someway the Dems seem to have lucked on the best candidate for right here, right now.
    The most boring after a year of pandemic panic. The least Socialist in economic turmoil. The least "woke" in a turbulent, divided society.
    And the one most likely to respond to a slap in the face with a well placed head butt.
    I suspect what has turned the markets has been the Florida situation. Trumpton hasn’t led there since March.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/president/fl/florida_trump_vs_biden-6841.html

• PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,841
    Trump wants to increase the liability of Facebook and so forth for what they publish I think ?
    So hoisted by his own petard here. might be a way for him to rethink that policy, but then again he thinks Finland is part of Russia o_O !

Charles said:

Charles said:

They claim not to have editorial control. If they are just a conduit they are a conduit. If they are a media channel they are a media channel.
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 24,967
    Sandpit said:

dr_spyn said:

Perhaps some chlorine spraying would help :wink:

Charles said:

Charles said:

It claims not to be a publisher.

But, for example, ITV has to carry party political broadcasts in the U.K.
    Andy_JS said:

justin124 said:

I never bought the 'one more heave' notion after 1992. Once an opposition party was seen to be competent with a compent leader aligned with an incompetent government and an incompetent leader, the dominoes just fell.
    Andy_JS said:

justin124 said:

The Alliance / LibDems increased their seats by more than 100% in 1997. (On, ironically, a diminished vote share.)
    Andy_JS said:

justin124 said:

Or even the last 75 years . In which case say so! Why use the word 'ever' when it clearly is not true?
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,846
    Damn, missed the new thread so will repost here.

I will perhaps be a bit controversial here. (who me?? :) )

I think Labour under Starmer has an excellent chance of winning the next election. I certainly don't want them to as personally I am not a fan and don't believe they will be good for the country. But Starmer is portraying himself (and may well be for all know) as a reasonable, centre left politician who can offer a real alternative to the Tories. Johnson is not a great leader or PM. I don't think he is even a very good leader or PM although I certainly don't think he is as bad as some make out.

But in the end I think his problem is that he is just not that bright. At least politically. He can't recognise the things that reflect badly on his party. He has handled Covid poorly. If he had just been mediocre he would probably have come out of it well but he has made some really basic errors that were warned about and which have subsequently happened. Blind optimism and a harkening to a core vote will get you so far but it won't get you through 4 years of tough times if you lack the ability and determination to make things work.

As I said before I want Cummings to succeed in his attempts to reshape our institutions. I thin given the chance a lot of that reshaping might even be in ways that those on the left might like, breaking the power of the old elites. But he won't succeed in it with Johnson as his figurehead.

So I am already kind of resigned to Starmer winning in 2024. I know a lot can happen in 4 years - 'events dear boy' and all that - but I think you have to have the right person in place to take advantage of those 'events'. I just don't think that person is Johnson.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 595
    edited June 2020
    Sandpit said:

dr_spyn said:

My brother-in-law works in one and caught it, thankfully he was asymptomatic.

Supposedly the cold conditions allow the virus to survive longer.
  • Keir just needs to stay quiet for a while.

@DMReporter: TOMORROW: “How strange” remarked the editor “we backed an charlatan for Prime Minister because it was politically expedient for our owners and now tens of thousands of people are dying because of his incompetence. What *is* going on?”
    #TomorrowsPapersToday
    #MailFrontPages https://twitter.com/DMReporter/status/1273736421703106560/photo/1
    Alistair said:
    He doesn't want to join the Resistance. He thinks the Resistance are a bunch of fecking idiots. He just wants to make sure his voice is heard. I have no doubt what he claims is true - or most of it anyway. But he is not doing it to 'bring down Trump' just to make sure his version of events gets told.
    edited June 2020
    It's a pity Kirsty Wark doesn't present Newsnight every night. She's head and shoulders above the other presenters IMO.
    The economy will be key. And the dead cat supply is finite.
    The most interesting thing of the day for me was the 2 million non-voters the Tories reportedly got in 2019.
    Take them away and the lead has already been halved.
  • MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    Andy_JS said:

justin124 said:

To be fair, 3 of those 4 elections mentioned had unusual circumstances - 1945 was 10 years after the last election when it was still the days of the National Government. You were literally talking about two different worlds. In 1931, it was because of the impact of the Great Depression and in 1924 because of the collapse of the first Labour Government.

But, yes, it can be done.
    eristdoof said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

But they are not restricting one candidate. They are removing one ad that they consider oversteps their redlines. If Trump's team upload an acceptable ad it will be published. Most of media works this way.
    Indeed. Bizarre argument really.

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

I suspect what has turned the markets has been the Florida situation. Trumpton hasn’t led there since March.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/president/fl/florida_trump_vs_biden-6841.html

The weird thing is though that there is a fair bit of evidence suggesting Trump is up a fair bit with Hispanics, which are influential in Florida.

To get there, you have to assume he is losing masses of support in Florida in the white population. Possible but..

I think Labour under Starmer has an excellent chance of winning the next election. I certainly don't want them to as personally I am not a fan and don't believe they will be good for the country. But Starmer is portraying himself (and may well be for all know) as a reasonable, centre left politician who can offer a real alternative to the Tories. Johnson is not a great leader or PM. I don't think he is even a very good leader or PM although I certainly don't think he is as bad as some make out.

But in the end I think his problem is that he is just not that bright. At least politically. He can't recognise the things that reflect badly on his party. He has handled Covid poorly. If he had just been mediocre he would probably have come out of it well but he has made some really basic errors that were warned about and which have subsequently happened. Blind optimism and a harkening to a core vote will get you so far but it won't get you through 4 years of tough times if you lack the ability and determination to make things work.

As I said before I want Cummings to succeed in his attempts to reshape our institutions. I thin given the chance a lot of that reshaping might even be in ways that those on the left might like, breaking the power of the old elites. But he won't succeed in it with Johnson as his figurehead.

So I am already kind of resigned to Starmer winning in 2024. I know a lot can happen in 4 years - 'events dear boy' and all that - but I think you have to have the right person in place to take advantage of those 'events'. I just don't think that person is Johnson.

It was Boris who won you the referendum in 2016 and then got the majority you needed to deliver Brexit in 2019, theirs gratitude for you!

Starmer may become PM, I cannot see him winning a majority.

• For me, nobody seems to be terrified of a Starmer premiership which presumably means more voters just not bothering

Johnson reaches parts other Tories do not reach. I don't know why, perhaps people like bumbling incompetence. But whether you or I like it or not, a vast swathe of blue collar Britain love the guy. They will not feel the same about Sunak or Raab.
    Andy_JS said:

justin124 said:

Don't forget Justin remembers Wellington's defeat in 1832 as if it was yesterday!
    MrEd said:

Andy_JS said:

justin124 said:

To be fair, 3 of those 4 elections mentioned had unusual circumstances - 1945 was 10 years after the last election when it was still the days of the National Government. You were literally talking about two different worlds. In 1931, it was because of the impact of the Great Depression and in 1924 because of the collapse of the first Labour Government.

Indeed. However, the next election may well also have unusual circumstances.
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Trump just issued an Executive Order "repealing" Section 230 which makes on-line service (like Facebook or politicalbetting) responsible for things posted on them, which complicates this further.

If a candidate were to defame someone on Facebook, then Facebook could potentially be responsible.

What's the legal position in the meantime? Is Trump's Executive Order valid and enforceable until it is thrown out?
    HYUFD said:

It was Boris who won you the referendum in 2016 and then got the majority you needed to deliver Brexit in 2019, theirs gratitude for you!

It was Cummings that won us the referendum. I will admit Johnson got us the majority to see it through but he was also part of the problem preventing it from passing far earlier under May.

Besides why should we show gratitude to politicians? They show none to us.
    MrEd said:

Andy_JS said:

justin124 said:

I think 2024 is going to be in unusual circumstances: the first post-Brexit, post-Coronavirus election.

I can't tell you who it will benefit, mind.
    dixiedean said:

MrEd said:

Andy_JS said:

justin124 said:

And that is very true.
    My gut feel is that Labour will continue to struggle but who knows.
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

They claim not to have editorial control. If they are just a conduit they are a conduit. If they are a media channel they are a media channel.
    It’s an ad. Are you proposing they are forced to run all and every ad sent their way, regardless of its content? I really don’t see your argument here.

eristdoof said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Indeed. Bizarre argument really.
    No. The redlines should be “is it legal” and “is it within the electoral rules”

Facebook has no right to decide to take down political advertising based on its own subjective criteria.

I would say that’s as bad as the Koch brothers pouring money into SuperPACs to try and distort the political landscape

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

What's the legal position in the meantime? Is Trump's Executive Order valid and enforceable until it is thrown out?
    Not sure what is the legal position but it might make things complicated for Facebook. Remember, not all cases go to the Supreme Court and Trump has weighted the appeals courts more towards Republicans (although the 9th still has a liberal majority if I remember correctly).

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

It’s an ad. Are you proposing they are forced to run all and every ad sent their way, regardless of its content? I really don’t see your argument here.
    A private entity is having a significant influence on the ability of one candidate to campaign as they see fit. That’s a distortion of democracy.

HYUFD said:

It was Cummings that won us the referendum. I will admit Johnson got us the majority to see it through but he was also part of the problem preventing it from passing far earlier under May.

Cummings without Boris would not have won the referendum or the election, he was Rove to Boris' Dubya, both needed the other to win
    Would anyone be sorry to see Hancock resign over the app fiasco?

Sandpit said:

dr_spyn said:

Perhaps some chlorine spraying would help :wink:
    One of the worst was in South Dakota...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52311877
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

It claims not to be a publisher.

But, for example, ITV has to carry party political broadcasts in the U.K.
    I share your reservations to an extent, but in a system which allows people with money to take infinite amounts of advertising, the beneficiaries cannot reasonably complain if a rich channel decides to take a partisan decision. The parallel in not ITV but the British media. It would be far better if the American system required balanced broadcasting - sure, we argue about whether the British channels succeed in that, but we can see they make an effort.
  • SurreySurrey Posts: 190
    edited June 2020
    So this time Trump looks to be on the wrong side of Twitter, Fox, and now Facebook. It's not going well.

How on earth does any campaign come to do something as idiotic as using a point-down coloured equilateral triangle to represent a political danger that it is calling on "all Americans" to come together to stamp out?

This is the image that CNN have published of one of the Trump ads. Practically anybody who knows anything about politics could have told Trump what it looks like. This is so stupid that one has to wonder whether the campaign was set up.

When I read today that one of the allegations in the Bolton book is that Trump helped Erdogan breach sanctions against Iran the idea fleetingly occurred to me that Trump may shift to full-on anti-Semitism.

Let's see how much of his foot he can stuff in his mouth at Saturday's superspreader disgrace rally.

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

It's a good question.

The FCC is in charge of enforcement of the Communications Decency Act, and ultimately the question is whether they will choose to enforce it pending legal challenge.

Of the five governing members of the FCC, one has come out strongly in favour (a Republican appointee), while the two Democrats have come out against. Ajit Pai, the Trump appointee who heads the FCC, has been quite circumspect. My guess is that - rather than repudiate it - they'll quietly ignore it.

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

The argument Facebook has always made as to why it should not be covered by media regulations and should be treated as a tech company is that it is only a conduit and does not operate any editorial control. If it is operating an editorial policy, it is not a neutral platform and therefore gets covered by the media regulations. That is the basic jist.

Facebook itself claims to be a tech company but goes after advertising money which is the preserve of Media companies.
  • Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Facebook, Twitter etc have a carve out protecting them from liability in what they put on their site because they are merely a conduit, not a publisher. Once they start deciding what to put on the site, you are de facto a publisher and the carve out protection goes away.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,262
    Andy_JS said:

Would anyone be sorry to see Hancock resign over the app fiasco?

Mrs. Hancock?
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Cummings without Boris would not have won the referendum or the election, he was Rove to Boris' Dubya, both needed the other to win
    I disagree. Yes Boris helped of course but he was not vital - not in the way Cummings was.

And as I said that is all immaterial. I owe no gratitude to politicians and the public at large are fickle and have short memories. Based on present performance Johnson is toast if he is facing even a moderately competent LOTO

Johnson reaches parts other Tories do not reach. I don't know why, perhaps people like bumbling incompetence. But whether you or I like it or not, a vast swathe of blue collar Britain love the guy. They will not feel the same about Sunak or Raab.
    But I suspect the truth of Johnson being a compulsive - and incompetent - liar will become so obvious that only the most ignorant or partisan will be able to deny it. The scales are already falling away from the eyes of many who voted for him.
    MrEd said:

dixiedean said:

MrEd said:

Andy_JS said:

justin124 said:

And that is very true.
    My gut feel is that Labour will continue to struggle but who knows.
    Frankly I have no idea.
    There is much space for events in the next four years. Or maybe we've exhausted our karma and 2021-4 will be dreadfully dreary.
    Hope so.

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I disagree. Yes Boris helped of course but he was not vital - not in the way Cummings was.

And as I said that is all immaterial. I owe no gratitude to politicians and the public at large are fickle and have short memories. Based on present performance Johnson is toast if he is facing even a moderately competent LOTO
    Depending on whether BJ is there for the GE. I suspect he won't be.
    MrEd said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

The weird thing is though that there is a fair bit of evidence suggesting Trump is up a fair bit with Hispanics, which are influential in Florida.

To get there, you have to assume he is losing masses of support in Florida in the white population. Possible but..

Is this evidence today’s subsample? Or do you have other data I’ve not seen?
    MrEd said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Depending on whether BJ is there for the GE. I suspect he won't be.
    Fair point.
    rcs1000 said:
    its how policing riots works nowadays. Take lots of photos, and pick people up a couple of weeks later.
This discussion has been closed.