Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » With ten days to go before the July 4th lockdown easing the nu

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited June 2020 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » With ten days to go before the July 4th lockdown easing the numbers continue to look good for the government

As of 9am 24 June, there have been 8,542,186 tests, with 232,086 tests on 23 June. 306,862 people have tested positive. As of 5pm on 23 June, of those tested positive for coronavirus, across all settings, 43,081 have sadly died.More info:?? https://t.co/xXnL3FU15k pic.twitter.com/1ekrf1OuHU

Read the full story here

Comments

• Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited June 2020
    Best wishes to future Tory leader, Tracey Crouch.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,771
    geoffw said:

Finland is relaxing its travel restrictions to and from other countries: countries with fewer than 8 new infections per 100,000 inhabitants over the past 14 days qualify as destinations or origins for travellers from or to Finland. At the moment 20 countries qualify including Germany, France and Italy, though not the UK which the Finns say has 25.2 new infections per 100,000 people over the past fortnight.

That's an eminently sensible system.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

Finland is relaxing its travel restrictions to and from other countries: countries with fewer than 8 new infections per 100,000 inhabitants over the past 14 days qualify as destinations or origins for travellers from or to Finland. At the moment 20 countries qualify including Germany, France and Italy, though not the UK which the Finns say has 25.2 new infections per 100,000 people over the past fortnight.

The NYT says the EU is trying to get an EU-wide agreement:

Countries on the E.U. draft lists have been selected as safe based on a combination of epidemiological criteria. The benchmark is the E.U. average number of new infections — over the past 14 days — per 100,000 people, which is currently 16 for the bloc. The comparable number for the United States is 107, while Brazil’s is 190 and Russia’s is 80, according to a Times database.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/23/world/europe/coronavirus-EU-American-travel-ban.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share

With FoM returning within Schengen if one country has less stringent entry criteria there's an obvious loophole....
  • TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    Go boffins, go.
    FPT - anti-Trump ad which I suspect will energise those who loathe him but may leave many of his supporters unmoved:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpzd-eIdy7o&feature=share&fbclid=IwAR1LoV4Yg5sSIpORAsb148KSAbwf1sniufQENknj5cC9DNiGGq1TZCOLsGc
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 24,967
    Do we know when the numbers from the meat processing plant outbreaks were included ?
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274

Beta for the new UK dashboard - https://coronavirus-staging.data.gov.uk/

• contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    The guy from the white lives matter plane banner has been sacked from his job.

Might make for an interesting court case if he sues for unfair dismissal.

rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

The NYT says the EU is trying to get an EU-wide agreement:

Countries on the E.U. draft lists have been selected as safe based on a combination of epidemiological criteria. The benchmark is the E.U. average number of new infections — over the past 14 days — per 100,000 people, which is currently 16 for the bloc. The comparable number for the United States is 107, while Brazil’s is 190 and Russia’s is 80, according to a Times database.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/23/world/europe/coronavirus-EU-American-travel-ban.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share

With FoM returning within Schengen if one country has less stringent entry criteria there's an obvious loophole....
    I imagine the Schengen will come back on a "country by country" basis. (There's not going to be any hurry to allow Sweden back in, fro example...)
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,574
    (FPT) Life is stranger than I even imagined.

My Little Pony Fans Are Ready to Admit They Have a Nazi Problem
    https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2020/06/my-little-pony-nazi-4chan-black-lives-matter/613348/
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,979
    edited June 2020
    kinabalu said:

Alistair said:

Causeway said:

DougSeal said:

Nate Cohn on the NYT/Siena 14-point lead:

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/1275733209666420737

In 2016, Nate Cohn thought states like Pennsylvania were out of reach for Trump.

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/791611216116363265
    If we discount the views of everyone who called the 2016 election wrong then we will be left with very few commentators to discuss, and those that are left largely from the ranks of the Republican Party.
    The late Plato did and what did she get on this board for her efforts?
    She did not predict Trump would win.
    This is one of those bizarre PB myths that refuses to go away.

Plato predicted a Hillary win, when pushed to a forecast.
    Before my time. But I've heard so much about the exotic (and rip) Plato and her incredible lonely call for Trump in 2016. Is it all complete bollox?
    Yes. Plato's claim to fame was linking to alt right sites supporting Trump "to give us a different perspective on what was going on". Some of the sites were nasty and Plato got some grief for that. Some suspected, possibly without justification, that Plato had some sympathy with those sites. Nevertheless she predicted that Clinton would win - but we shouldn't be complacent about that. Fair enough.

What was his job?
    Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo announced on Wednesday that New York and two neighboring states will begin requiring certain out-of-state residents entering their states to quarantine for two weeks upon arrival.

The restrictions, which also cover New Jersey and Connecticut, will be based on specific health metrics related to the virus, Mr. Cuomo said.

Mr. Cuomo said the quarantine would apply to states where either 10 percent of the total population tested positive, or where there were 10 infections per every 100,000 people on 7-day rolling average. Included immediately, he said: Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina, Utah, Texas and Washington State.

“Any state that has an infection rate above that will be subject to the quarantine,” he said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/24/world/coronavirus-updates.html#link-16ec0d09
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,958
    rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

But dependent upon states not playing silly buggers with their stats.

Is Finland open to people from North Korea turning up?
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,958
    "the lockdown bandit".

I mean - really?
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,092

Do we know when the numbers from the meat processing plant outbreaks were included ?

What with the whole thing having supposedly started in a wet market and all these outbreaks in abattoirs and meat processing plants, wouldn't a good prophylactic policy be to steer people towards a vegetarian diet?
    rcs1000 said:

What was his job?
    Welder. Company said it did not condone racism in any form.

They might have a problem making that one stick in court.
    Nigelb said:

(FPT) Life is stranger than I even imagined.

My Little Pony Fans Are Ready to Admit They Have a Nazi Problem
    https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2020/06/my-little-pony-nazi-4chan-black-lives-matter/613348/

Don't even mention Black Bess.

• kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851

Was he a heart surgeon? Something like that?
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,969

rcs1000 said:

What was his job?

Nope, easiest case in history for his firm, his social media posts which are littered with racist language.

That's grounds for dismissal according to the employment law expert I read earlier.
    It's kind of odd to have a military refuelling plane (for that is its primary purpose) painted like that.
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 24,967

Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo announced on Wednesday that New York and two neighboring states will begin requiring certain out-of-state residents entering their states to quarantine for two weeks upon arrival.

The restrictions, which also cover New Jersey and Connecticut, will be based on specific health metrics related to the virus, Mr. Cuomo said.

Mr. Cuomo said the quarantine would apply to states where either 10 percent of the total population tested positive, or where there were 10 infections per every 100,000 people on 7-day rolling average. Included immediately, he said: Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina, Utah, Texas and Washington State.

“Any state that has an infection rate above that will be subject to the quarantine,” he said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/24/world/coronavirus-updates.html#link-16ec0d09

I wonder how much infection New York state spewed across the country in April.

rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

But dependent upon states not playing silly buggers with their stats.

Is Finland open to people from North Korea turning up?
    Unsurprisingly, North Korea is not on their list. But then the restrictions probably apply more stringently at the N Korean end.

• OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,911

I doubt they will be relying simply on the banner incident, according to press reports he seems to have quite a history of racist behaviour.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,624

rcs1000 said:

What was his job?

Nope, easiest case in history for his firm, his social media posts which are littered with racist language.

That's grounds for dismissal according to the employment law expert I read earlier.
    What's the term - activities that bring the company into disrepute?
    kinabalu said:

Why is his job relevant? what is relevant is that he has lost his job for making a political statement that probably has not broken any laws.

can people be sacked for making legal political statements? I'm not sure they can.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603

Another huge number of new C-19 cases in Florida today - 5,511. Fortunately for Floridians very few die from the virus - only 41 new deaths recorded.

So not too bad, eh?

Interestingly the number of people dying from pneumonia and flu is at a record high for this time of year. 🤔
    That L1 visa cancellation is really stupid, loads of people having to come back and just do the work from here from what I can tell. They're just going to work NYC trading hours from London and pay tax to the UK government instead of the US government.
    OllyT said:

I doubt they will be relying simply on the banner incident, according to press reports he seems to have quite a history of racist behaviour.
    Press reports are not legal evidence, and no convictions for any crime have been recorded. As I say it could make for an interesting case.
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,979
    edited June 2020
    For those betting on LibDem leadership - the positon at 5pm tonight.
    Much too early to read anything into this I think.

• PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    MaxPB said:

That L1 visa cancellation is really stupid, loads of people having to come back and just do the work from here from what I can tell. They're just going to work NYC trading hours from London and pay tax to the UK government instead of the US government.

Not sure what an L1 visa is. My other half has worked on asian/australian legal matters (And corresponding hours) for years now from here though.

kinabalu said:

Why is his job relevant? what is relevant is that he has lost his job for making a political statement that probably has not broken any laws.

can people be sacked for making legal political statements? I'm not sure they can.
    Just curious. Anyway, I see your other post now. Welder. As for if he was sacked illegally - we can safely leave that to due process. However, looking on the bright side, he can maybe go self-employed as a welder. I think it's very possible in that game. And then, given he is only "saying what most people are thinking" he should be well placed to pick up LOADS of work. It could be the making of him.
  • StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

OllyT said:

Press reports are not legal evidence, and no convictions for any crime have been recorded. As I say it could make for an interesting case.
    Counterpoint: No it couldn't.
  • Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,225
    MaxPB said:

Another huge number of new C-19 cases in Florida today - 5,511. Fortunately for Floridians very few die from the virus - only 41 new deaths recorded.

So not too bad, eh?

Interestingly the number of people dying from pneumonia and flu is at a record high for this time of year. 🤔
    Thank you, Max. What an extraordinary coincidence!

MaxPB said:

So not too bad, eh?

One for Colleen Rooney to investigate I think.

OllyT said:

Counterpoint: No it couldn't.
    OK 'high profile'
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,748
    Barnesian said:

kinabalu said:

Alistair said:

Causeway said:

DougSeal said:

In 2016, Nate Cohn thought states like Pennsylvania were out of reach for Trump.

If we discount the views of everyone who called the 2016 election wrong then we will be left with very few commentators to discuss, and those that are left largely from the ranks of the Republican Party.

Before my time. But I've heard so much about the exotic (and rip) Plato and her incredible lonely call for Trump in 2016. Is it all complete bollox?
    Yes. Plato's claim to fame was linking to alt right sites supporting Trump "to give us a different perspective on what was going on". Some of the sites were nasty and Plato got some grief for that. Some suspected, possibly without justification, that Plato had some sympathy with those sites. Nevertheless she predicted that Clinton would win - but we shouldn't be complacent about that. Fair enough.
    I think there was some justification.

My memory may be retrofitting but I think Trump's win was a bit of a sair one for her: a) she hadn't predicted it and b) she and no doubt others had been preparing for a 'metropolitan liberal swamp wins unfairly again' narrative.

kinabalu said:

He's not being sacked for legal political statements, he's been sacked for using terms like 'Pakis' on social media.
    Barnesian said:

kinabalu said:

Alistair said:

Causeway said:

DougSeal said:

Right, I see. Yes, tricky balance. You want insight into the hard right but you don't want to be swamped with their crap. Guess it's better to have too much than too little because you can always filter out.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    MaxPB said:

So not too bad, eh?

Are they? I just had a look on Florida's influenza page and unless I am misreading it Influenza deaths are at basically zero at the moment.
    Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Not sure what an L1 visa is. My other half has worked on asian/australian legal matters (And corresponding hours) for years now from here though.
    Intracompany transfers. It's a policy I could easily see Biden adopting for 2021 as well.
    Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

So not too bad, eh?

I hate myself that I'm so looking forward to the Rebekah Vardy vs Coleen Rooney libel case.
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,059

Not really. The bad publicity that he garnered his company is sufficient cause for a fair dismissal with notice under the “Some Other Substantial Reason” head. If the contract or the staff handbook detail it as a gross misconduct offence he might not even get his notice pay.
    I've asked him to confirm it's not his footage ;)
    Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

So not too bad, eh?

Are they? I just had a look on Florida's influenza page and unless I am misreading it Influenza deaths are at basically zero at the moment.
    Didn't they sack the person collating those statistics though?
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,059

OllyT said:

He’s brought his employer considerable considerable. bad publicity, that’s probably enough for a fair dismissal, whether or not you consider he deserved to be fired.

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

So not too bad, eh?

I hate myself that I'm so looking forward to the Rebekah Vardy vs Coleen Rooney libel case.
    I hope Colleen Rooney wins. Libel should have a somewhat higher bar than the one Vardy is going for in my opinion.
    edited June 2020
    https://twitter.com/AlbertoNardelli/status/1275828004988559368?s=20

I guess if GDP falls 30% maintaining 0.7% ODA will result in a 30% fall in £££.
    Given this, why is my dad struggling to get a blood test to check up on his diabetes and cholesterol problem? He keeps getting told that the NHS is only taking emergency appointments but there's surely enough capacity now to have appointments back to normal. Honestly if my dad has a stroke I'd be tempted to sue the NHS for dereliction of duty at this point.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,400
    edited June 2020
    Barnesian said:

I'll feel a little bad for him if he loses yet again, but despite playing up his Tory fighting credentials I just have this suspicion the good people of 2020 are not over the coalition yet and the LDs won't want to risk people bringing it up all the time.
    Not long for this earth (in her current position)?

https://twitter.com/trussliz/status/1275817942295420934?s=20
  • El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    kle4 said:

Barnesian said:

I'll feel a little bad for him if he loses yet again, but despite playing up his Tory fighting credentials I just have this suspicion the good people of 2020 are not ever the coalition yet and the LDs won't want to risk people bringing it up all the time.
    It's becoming pretty clear that it's Layla Moran making the pace. See https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/amp/entry/lib-dem-leadership_uk_5ef22378c5b601e59955a09d/ - that looks to me to be a direct reaction to Moran's positioning.

There seems to be quite a lot of jockeying for Daisy Cooper's endorsement.
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 14,912

kinabalu said:

He's not being sacked for legal political statements, he's been sacked for using terms like 'Pakis' on social media.
    Wow is he a total racist? I did not see that coming.
    kle4 said:

Barnesian said:

I'll feel a little bad for him if he loses yet again, but despite playing up his Tory fighting credentials I just have this suspicion the good people of 2020 are not ever the coalition yet and the LDs won't want to risk people bringing it up all the time.
    Layla is clear fav atm - 1.65.
    kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

Barnesian said:

Funny when you remember 2 MP nominations each is more than half the party accounted for :p.

kinabalu said:

Well he is a fan of Tommy Robinson, so I am shocked he doesn't like people like me on sight.

Normally it takes people a while to hate me.
    Thread on UK-Japan Trade Deal (6 weeks countdown):

https://twitter.com/pernilleru/status/1275791326752243713?s=20
  • OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,911

OllyT said:

OllyT said:

I imagine they have screen shots of all the racist comments that he has put out on social media. Like his football club I doubt they want to be associated with him, they have their own images to consider.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,618

Not long for this earth (in her current position)?

https://twitter.com/trussliz/status/1275817942295420934?s=20

Fair play to her.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,624
    MaxPB said:

Given this, why is my dad struggling to get a blood test to check up on his diabetes and cholesterol problem? He keeps getting told that the NHS is only taking emergency appointments but there's surely enough capacity now to have appointments back to normal. Honestly if my dad has a stroke I'd be tempted to sue the NHS for dereliction of duty at this point.
    System inertia - the kind of thing that drives Cummings et al mad - once the pen pushers have got an idea, they hold on to it.

That lovely, empty hospital is their goal now.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,787

kinabalu said:

Well he is a fan of Tommy Robinson, so I am shocked he doesn't like people like me on sight.

What do they have against Oliver Cromwell? Is it the long hair?

kinabalu said:

What do they have against Oliver Cromwell? Is it the long hair?
    I think it is my modest self effacing nature that winds up people the wrong way.

As for the Cromwell angle, it has long been a source of amusement for my friends that one of life's Cavaliers is in fact a Roundhead.
    MaxPB said:

Sorry to hear this Max.

There’s a national scandal brewing on NHS displacement.

The simple truth is that low-risk covid patients are - or at least were - being favoured over moderate-risk non-covid patients.

The hysteria over this virus has more casualties than one might assume.

Hope your father gets fixed up soon.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,400
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,853
    edited June 2020

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

So not too bad, eh?

That's going to be fun.

Clearly there's a load of Facebook employees that would also have access to an account's data whether it is "hidden" or not. Will Facebook be willing to release the logs of everything that happens to that data? Might be eye-opening.
    edited June 2020
    MaxPB said:

I understand why you'd want to tighten up the H1B programme, because a lot of firms (particularly some Indian IT services firms) abused it.

But the L1 is a temporary, non-immigrant, visa that is mostly used for execs on three month to one year stints in the US. I don't think any of them are taking jobs from US workers, they're usually coming to the US to setup an office, or to share experience about a specific project.

Edit to add: The just reinforces my view that Trump is mostly interested in the headlines, not the effect.
    edited June 2020

kinabalu said:

Oh come now TSE, he's simply trying to make an in good faith best effort attempt to fit into Twitter's character limits and the very notion of racial animosity is an affront to the man.

The court case, when forthcoming, will be a stunning success for him.
    Yet deaths are apparently trending downwards..?

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

So not too bad, eh?

That's going to be fun.

Clearly there's a load of Facebook employees that would also have access to an account's data whether it is "hidden" or not. Will Facebook be willing to release the logs of everything that happens to that data?
    I will be shocked, SHOCKED if it turns out celebrities don't actually always post their own content to their timeline.

MaxPB said:

Sorry to hear this Max.

The simple truth is that low-risk covid patients are - or at least were - being favoured over moderate-risk non-covid patients.

I think it's a ploy to drive people to pay for their own treatment tbh, my dad is close to giving up and going private for his check up.

What's happening in the NHS is the antithesis of what it was created for at the moment. One type of patient is being massively preferred over everyone else, which made sense at the peak of the crisis but now it's unnecessary.
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Sorry to hear this Max.

I think it's a ploy to drive people to pay for their own treatment tbh, my dad is close to giving up and going private for his check up.

What's happening in the NHS is the antithesis of what it was created for at the moment. One type of patient is being massively preferred over everyone else, which made sense at the peak of the crisis but now it's unnecessary.
    Exactly right.

The principles of fair triage are being tested to destruction.
    Alistair said:

kinabalu said:

Oh come now TSE, he's simply trying to make an in good faith best effort attempt to fit into Twitter's character limits and the very notion of racial animosity is an affront to the man.

Fake news, he's only a racist because he's coked up off his tits.

Hepple claims he isn't racist

He explained to the Daily Mail: "I'm not racist. I know people are trying to make out to be one but I'm not. I've got lots of Black and Asian friends and this banner was actually inspired by the Black Lives Movement.

"We were not trying to offend the movement or black people. I believe that it's also important to acknowledge that white lives matter too. That's all we were trying to say."

He explained away some of his racist language by saying he sometimes gets 'a bit coked up and uses offensive language'.

https://www.givemesport.com/1577049-burnley-fan-jake-hepple-has-been-sacked-after-white-lives-matter-banner-stunt

Admitting to being under the influence of cocaine is also probably a sacking offence.

Can you imagine the damage a coked up welder could do?
  • AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited June 2020

Yet deaths are apparently trending downwards..?

The positives are much younger than they were. Probably inevitable when you test half a million each day.

• OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 14,912

kinabalu said:

Come on, you are one of the less objectionable people on this site, admittedly not a high bar. 😉
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

I understand why you'd want to tighten up the H1B programme, because a lot of firms (particularly some Indian IT services firms) abused it.

But the L1 is a temporary, non-immigrant, visa that is mostly used for execs on three month to one year stints in the US. I don't think any of them are taking jobs from US workers, they're usually coming to the US to setup an office, or to share experience about a specific project.

Edit to add: The just reinforces my view that Trump is mostly interested in the headlines, not the effect.
    Exactly. It's such a stupid type of visa to cancel. I know three people who are now being called back to London. They are very highly paid people who are going to pay their vast tax bills in London now.

Alistair said:

kinabalu said:

He explained to the Daily Mail: "I'm not racist. I know people are trying to make out to be one but I'm not. I've got lots of Black and Asian friends and this banner was actually inspired by the Black Lives Movement.

"We were not trying to offend the movement or black people. I believe that it's also important to acknowledge that white lives matter too. That's all we were trying to say."

He explained away some of his racist language by saying he sometimes gets 'a bit coked up and uses offensive language'.

https://www.givemesport.com/1577049-burnley-fan-jake-hepple-has-been-sacked-after-white-lives-matter-banner-stunt

Admitting to being under the influence of cocaine is also probably a sacking offence.

It turns out you are the real racist all along TSE. Imagine criticising someone for liking Coca-Cola.
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,287

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

So not too bad, eh?

That's going to be fun.

Clearly there's a load of Facebook employees that would also have access to an account's data whether it is "hidden" or not. Will Facebook be willing to release the logs of everything that happens to that data?
    I will be shocked, SHOCKED if it turns out celebrities don't actually always post their own content to their timeline.
    .. which makes one wonder even more why people read such drivel. Its akin to the sidebar of shame in it relevance to real life.
    edited June 2020
    Pulpstar said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

Barnesian said:

Funny when you remember 2 MP nominations each is more than half the party accounted for :p.
    Only way is up for the LDs surely.
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

kinabalu said:

It turns out you are the real racist all along TSE. Imagine criticising someone for liking Coca-Cola.
    I also owe Mel Gibson an apology, back in 1995 I said no way was he suited to play a Scotsman, but look at him now, an alcohol racist.

kinabalu said:

BLM/Gates false flag fakery to smear a good patriot?
  • rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

I've not yet worked for a company here in the US that didn't have people on long-term L-1 visas. I'm in IT and these are all people with legitimate specialist company knowledge (so L-1Bs not L-1As) but they were all over for the long-term.
  • pm215pm215 Posts: 926
    MaxPB said:

Given this, why is my dad struggling to get a blood test to check up on his diabetes and cholesterol problem? He keeps getting told that the NHS is only taking emergency appointments but there's surely enough capacity now to have appointments back to normal.
    Bear in mind that the number of people in hospital today for covid is not just those admitted today, but also those who went in weeks ago and are still there. So for judging capacity the 'patients in hospital' graph at https://coronavirus-staging.data.gov.uk/healthcare is probably more helpful -- looks like the system is still dealing with 5000 covid patients in hospital (peak was 20,000).

That said I would not be surprised if there's also an element of continuing to prioritize covid over more normal appointments even as the balance of priorities should have shifted.

kinabalu said:

I wonder if after much soul searching he eventually plumped for Leave in 2016 because he felt the EU had morphed from a free trade area into an overarching federalist project with a democratic deficit?
  • Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    MaxPB said:

I went to hospital yesterday for a routine test that I should have had back in March. It may well depend on the hospital.

I don’t currently have cancer if anyone is interested.
  • Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,225

Alistair said:

kinabalu said:

White lines matter.
    That post could well set a new PB record for number of likes.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,574
This discussion has been closed.