Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Harris retains her strong favourite position in the Democratic

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited June 2020 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Harris retains her strong favourite position in the Democratic VP betting with Susan Rice now second favourite

I have a very long history of always losing money on the vice presidential choices in American election campaigns. This is not something that is decided by primaries or elections of some form but is the personal choice of the presumptive nominee in this case Joe Biden.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ClippPClippP Posts: 1,666
    First
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,080
    Second
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279
    "Wirecard collapses into insolvency

Auditor EY says it found clear indications of ‘elaborate and sophisticated fraud’ at German payments company"

https://www.ft.com/content/ac949729-6167-4b6c-ac3f-f0aa71aca193
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,730
    This isn’t relevant, but I’m posting it because I like it so much.
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

It would be nice to have a competent Shadow Education Sec, perhaps somebody who was a teacher would be a good start

Ydoethur's got his hand up!
    Actually, I wouldn’t necessarily agree. Being a good minister is very different from being a good teacher.

The best education secretary of the last 40 years was John McGregor. Because although he knew little about education he was willing to learn.

If Gove and Morgan were the worst by a distance, then Estelle Morris is third. Because however well meaning, she was also incompetent.

And she was a teacher.
    With all due respect, I think you a little more able than Estelle.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,557
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

It would be nice to have a competent Shadow Education Sec, perhaps somebody who was a teacher would be a good start

Actually, I wouldn’t necessarily agree. Being a good minister is very different from being a good teacher.

The best education secretary of the last 40 years was John McGregor. Because although he knew little about education he was willing to learn.

If Gove and Morgan were the worst by a distance, then Estelle Morris is third. Because however well meaning, she was also incompetent.

And she was a teacher.
    Well it beats being compared to Miss Havisham.
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

And she was a teacher.
    That would be a pip.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    Demings would be the better choice, from Florida, a key swing state, rather than the safe Democratic areas of California and DC Like Harris and Rice
    Andy_JS said:

Auditor EY says it found clear indications of ‘elaborate and sophisticated fraud’ at German payments company"

Ouch. This does not look like a nice situation. Two German banks and two Dutch banks on the hook for €200 million before we start.

I don’t think heads are going to stop rolling with Wirecard...
    HYUFD said:

Demings would be the better choice, from Florida, a key swing state, rather than the safe Democratic areas of California and DC Like Harris and Rice

Paging @Hyufd -

I think your book has just hijacked your account.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766
    ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

Ouch. This does not look like a nice situation. Two German banks and two Dutch banks on the hook for €200 million before we start.

I don’t think heads are going to stop rolling with Wirecard...
    Full credit to the FT, who has (alone of the big financial newspapers) pursued this story doggedly and despite multiple legal threats.

No credit at all to the German stock market regulator, BAFIN, who essentially tried to shut down all criticism of Wirecard, and attempted to ban short selling of the stock.
    HYUFD said:

I’m not entirely convinced you understand the whole VP pick thing.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,956
    edited June 2020
    It's coming home, it's coming home, football's coming home.
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

And she was a teacher.
    That would be a pip.
    A well forged pun.
    HYUFD said:

I think Biden's number one priority is to find a VP candidate who is (a) experienced enough to step into his shoes, and (b) does not scare off any moderate voters.

That's why Harris is the favourite. She's the conservative choice.
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Does the Premier League have VAR since its resumed or has it been dropped for the rest of the season?

Rather enjoying the game tonight having no pressure on it. Chelsea win or draw we win the League, City win we have the chance to win the League at the Etihad. I'm OK with either result.
    Chelsea!!!
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164

Does the Premier League have VAR since its resumed or has it been dropped for the rest of the season?

Rather enjoying the game tonight having no pressure on it. Chelsea win or draw we win the League, City win we have the chance to win the League at the Etihad. I'm OK with either result.

VAR still around.
    edited June 2020
    tlg86 said:

VAR still around.
    Goal line technology was furloughed for the first game back though.

It might end up relegating the Dildo Brothers.
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

And she was a teacher.
    That would be a pip.
    A well forged pun.
    I’ll let you keep that in your Pocket.
    Just as a matter of interest, are there any Chelsea fans on PB?
  • Novara are crazy.

They had TWO elections to win, they fucked it up. Can they just fuck off

Guessing your footage is running a minute or two ahead of mine 🙈
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,598

VAR is still being used - Son had a goal chalked off on Tuesday after his left foot was found to be one millimetre in front of the West Ham centre-back’s arse.
    rcs1000 said:

Tonight?
    rcs1000 said:

George Osborne.

Chelsea!!!

Chelsea!!!

So City must score at least twice to prevent the title going to Anfield this evening?
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

And she was a teacher.
    That would be a pip.
    A well forged pun.
    Well that is the nature of Portable Property.

Novara are crazy.

They had TWO elections to win, they fucked it up. Can they just fuck off

Don’t worry, they’ll Peters out.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    DougSeal said:
    I accuse many people of being childish. Trump is one of the few who genuinely seems like a giant, maladjusted baby. And yet it is what tens of millions wanted and still want.

Off to check on the odds on Ian Lavery succeeding Sir Keir Starmer?

https://twitter.com/skwawkbox/status/1276204792050790405

Leadership challenge? From the people offended at people challenging Corbyn?
    Who would have guessed in 1996 that "30 years of hurt" in Football's Coming Home wouldn't refer to England?
    DougSeal said:
    Good stuff.

Biden is a bruiser.

Liking the ‘whining child’ line - the Trumptons don’t like it up em.

I am watching on Sky.
    DougSeal said:
    He looks different, shiny and smooth.

I am watching on Sky.
    I'm . . . not.
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

And she was a teacher.
    That would be a pip.
    A well forged pun.
    OK, I will admit, I don’t get that reference. Is it a very obscure passage of Great Expectations I have forgotten, or some kind of Twist?
  • BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884
    kle4 said:

that would be a definition of irony
  • Why can't these Corbynites just fuck off and join the Tories?

Why can't these Corbynites just fuck off and join the Tories?

Isn't it remarkable how the people who demanded absolute loyalty to a Labour leader who had himself rebelled against his own party more than virtually any other MP in history suddenly aren't feeling so absolutely loyal anymore?

I wonder why?
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited June 2020
    Covid is going bigly in lots of states now. Florida, Texas and California in a 3 way tussle to see who can outdo each other for the bigly of bigliest.

History books will be written about how the continent of the Americas did everything possible wrong.
    🤦🏻‍♂️

There's just no arguing with stupid is there?

Covid is going bigly in lots of states now. Florida, Texas and California in a 3 way tussle to see who can outdo each other.

Its gonna be huge.
  • Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411

Or LDs under Layla? They'll love that! :lol:
    edited June 2020
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

And she was a teacher.
    That would be a pip.
    A well forged pun.
    OK, I will admit, I don’t get that reference. Is it a very obscure passage of Great Expectations I have forgotten, or some kind of Twist?
    And you probably thought the “aged P” referred to one of our older posters ?

Portable property is the constant obsession of his son and Jaggers’ assistant, the splendid Wemmick.
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,059
    Before a play I was in at uni an Irish member of the cast came in in high dudgeon about a letter to Cherwell that day which cast doubt on the innocence of the Guildford 4. Another member of the cast piped up to say “yes, I wrote it”. We nearly didn’t go on that night.

https://twitter.com/arobertwebb/status/1276122077817438209
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    A challenge from the Left would be a gift to Starmer. He's gonna be another Kinnock I reckon.

Covid is going bigly in lots of states now. Florida, Texas and California in a 3 way tussle to see who can outdo each other for the bigly of bigliest.

History books will be written about how the continent of the Americas did everything possible wrong.

Yet of the top 5 nations by Covid deaths per head, Belgium, the UK, Spain, Italy and Sweden, not 1 is in the Americas
    What is wrong with these people?

That’s even more batshit crazy than that racist nutter up at Cambridge.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,001

We do not want them.

It was not such a long time ago you wanted Corbyn as PM
    edited June 2020
    HYUFD said:

Yet of the top 5 nations by Covid deaths per head, Belgium, the UK, Spain, Italy and Sweden, not 1 is in the Americas
    Its not over....half the US is just getting started and a quarter are having a second wave

And as for the likes of Mexico and Brazil, figures about as reliable as the Chinese ones.

Covid is going bigly in lots of states now. Florida, Texas and California in a 3 way tussle to see who can outdo each other.

Its gonna be huge.
    It is very scary for the US
  • OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,911
    edited June 2020

It's taken so long it must have a bloody good memory, it might get lost en route!
    kle4 said:

Starmer trounced Long Bailey 56% to 27%, he is secure and has a mandate to cleanse the hard left from Labour

I am watching on Sky.
    You’re not.

It’s on BT Sport.
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

And she was a teacher.
    That would be a pip.
    A well forged pun.

Portable property is the constant obsession of his son and Jaggers’ assistant, the splendid Wemmick.
    Ah, right. No, I didn’t remember that bit, but I haven’t read it for 25 years so I will forgive myself.

I remember the aged P, of course. And the fishing rod at the wedding.

For the rest, having not read something through since my teens I’m having hard times remembering it all.
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

I think Biden's number one priority is to find a VP candidate who is (a) experienced enough to step into his shoes, and (b) does not scare off any moderate voters.

Her prosecution record could ironically scare off African Americans

Its gonna be huge.
    They've flattened the curve.

https://twitter.com/TheDailyShow/status/1276172320965636099

I am watching on Sky.
    You’re not.

It’s on BT Sport.
    On Sky

I am watching on Sky.
    You’re not.

It’s on BT Sport.
    Which can be viewed on a Sky box.
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Not when the alternative is Trump.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

Its gonna be huge.
    They've flattened the curve.

https://twitter.com/TheDailyShow/status/1276172320965636099
    How have tests changed? I think it's been pretty stable.
    Commentator just said in halftime chat that Chelsea have not lost a home game they were leading at half time in nine years. That's an impressive record.
  • TomsToms Posts: 2,478

Its gonna be huge.
    Speaking of the virus, are Bournemouth beach and Brixton good examples of Boris's reference to good British common sense?
    Toms said:

Its gonna be huge.
    Speaking of the virus, are Bournemouth beach and Brixton good examples of Boris's reference to good British common sense?
    Any images I've seen that are zoomed in people are socially distanced. Zoomed out it looks like a crowd but that's misleading.

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

The one group Trump is polling with higher than 2016 is African Americans
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

And she was a teacher.
    That would be a pip.
    A well forged pun.

Ah, right. No, I didn’t remember that bit, but I haven’t read it for 25 years so I will forgive myself.

I remember the aged P, of course. And the fishing rod at the wedding.

For the rest, having not read something through since my teens I’m having hard times remembering it all.
    It’s a curiosity that you’ve not felt the need to reread it, but fair point.

HYUFD said:

Its not over....half the US is just getting started and a quarter are having a second wave

And as for the likes of Mexico and Brazil, figures about as reliable as the Chinese ones.
    China and Germany seem to have had second waves judging by reports in the last fortnight
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

The one group Trump is polling with higher than 2016 is African Americans
    Dead cat bounce. He's not winning any significant percentage.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080

Toms said:

Its gonna be huge.
    Any images I've seen that are zoomed in people are socially distanced. Zoomed out it looks like a crowd but that's misleading.
    The numerous beach fights and assaults reported yesterday afternoon and evening took place with all the protagonists one metre plus apart?
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Unlikely.
    https://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/23/kamala-harris-gop-police-336150

(Though I acknowledge I’m talking my own book.)
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,007
    Had a blissful day in the Lake District (good). Then found out my furlough is being extended (bad). Then heard about the RLB fiasco (sensational). Must say that the reaction from the psychotic left is genuinely hilarious.

Starmer is going to have to eexpel every man Jack of them. Or he is pandering to the anti-semites like his predecessor...

Its gonna be huge.
    Everything is bigger in America.
    dixiedean said:

A challenge from the Left would be a gift to Starmer. He's gonna be another Kinnock I reckon.

Nobody's dumb enough to do it now, for the sake of RLB who, without being mean to her, is not exactly a colossal figure in the party's internal myths.
    I see Piers Moron is outraged about Bournemouth beach....now if it had been a BLM beach party, he would be finding a way of excusing it.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,042
    Regarding Bojo's plane - to make a cheap point, I think we need a grovelling apology and promise to be good in future from @williamglenn, as he said we'd be getting nothing like the 'subtle' French Presidential plane design, but it appears we have more or less a carbon copy of that design but with the Union flag.

Personally I think it looks quite nice, but I'm rather underwhelmed. It isn't Austin Powers *enough* for £900,000 as far as I am concerned. I expect to uncontrollably burst out singing Rule Britannia when I see it for that money. The person who said it just looks like a standard British Airways' jumbo is pretty on the mark.
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Unlikely.

https://theappeal.org/kamala-harris-criminal-justice-record-killed-her-presidential-run/
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

China and Germany seem to have had second waves judging by reports in the last fortnight
    Are you able to tell the difference between local secondary outbreaks and a second wave?
    dixiedean said:

Benn challenged Kinnock for the leadership in 1988, Kinnock won 88% to 11% for Benn
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

I see Piers Moron is outraged about Bournemouth beach....now if it had been a BLM beach party, he would be finding a way of excusing it.

Or more specifically if his son went
  • To be honest Peake distancing herself from her own comments just makes RLB look worse.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

Benn challenged Kinnock for the leadership in 1988, Kinnock won 88% to 11% for Benn
    The wierd thing is I doubt it is a close run thing as to which one is more idolised, and idealised, among party members today.
    Go KDB!

Regarding Bojo's plane - to make a cheap point, I think we need a grovelling apology and promise to be good in future from @williamglenn, as he said we'd be getting nothing like the 'subtle' French Presidential plane design, but it appears we have more or less a carbon copy of that design but with the Union flag.

Personally I think it looks quite nice, but I'm rather underwhelmed. It isn't Austin Powers *enough* for £900,000 as far as I am concerned. I expect to uncontrollably burst out singing Rule Britannia when I see it for that money. The person who said it just looks like a standard British Airways' jumbo is pretty on the mark.

All of which rather misses the point, which is that Boris just blagged himself a personal jet, and convinced you that it’s costing less than a million.
    RobD said:
    Antisemitic conspiracy theory bollocks.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,042
    kle4 said:

DougSeal said:
    He looks different, shiny and smooth.
    That isn't different, it's how he's looked for quite a while. He's tight as a drum. They've pulled his face so tight the skin is virtually translucent. Terrible idea. Doesn't make him look any younger, it makes him look older if anything.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    tlg86 said:
    The paper employing Johann Hari making stuff up. Say it ain’t so!

It hasn't cost £900,000 that's bollocks.
    I wanted to win the title at the Etihad anyway.
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Unlikely.

https://theappeal.org/kamala-harris-criminal-justice-record-killed-her-presidential-run/
    That’s your best effort ?
    https://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/07/kamala-harris-biden-criminal-justice-reform-304534
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    ydoethur said:

The racist nutter who they then decided to promote you mean......
  • CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited June 2020
    Novara tonight wins the award for worst takes of the century
    Floater said:

ydoethur said:

The racist nutter who they then decided to promote you mean......
    I don’t think it was quite that quick. Normally filling a chair is a slow process.

But the timing is to put it mildly highly unfortunate. If a complaint is made...
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

The wierd thing is I doubt it is a close run thing as to which one is more idolised, and idealised, among party members today.
    Yes, but if Kinnock had won a general election...
This discussion has been closed.