Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » By nearly four to one those who had a view on Jenrick think he

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited June 2020 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » By nearly four to one those who had a view on Jenrick think he should resign

The first thing about this YouGov polling is the large numbers of don’t knows – suggesting that what has been a huge issue in Westminster has not really cut through that much yet.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    50% don't know is not the potential to run. People don't care.

I wonder if you asked in an opinion whether Bob Smith should resign from government what percentage would reply yes. It would be a percentage.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    Even if he had technically done nothing wrong it still looks bad.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,708
    It is only Labour and LD and Remain voters though who have over 50% saying Jenrick should go, Tories are waiting to see if any further revelations
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    As Mr T has pointed out, the most important number is the 50%. That said, this government is starting to get the stench of decay around it - remarkably early in its term.

In other news:

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1276585792945741827?s=20
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766
    RobD said:

LadyG said:

rcs1000 said:

LadyG said:

nichomar said:

If you are coming out to Spain ensure you carry a mask with you at all times and wear it whenever 1.5 m social distancing is not possible or in a shop, outside or in. This will remain in place Until a vaccine is available. Fines up to €1000

I listened to a report on 5 live this morning of the experiences of a reporter who flew Gatwick to Inverness on EasyJet and it was horrific. The mask was worn throughout the terminal, on boarding and on the one hour flight, and additionally for all the time through baggage claim and beyond. The reporter reckoned on this one hour internal flight he had worn a mask for 4 and a half hours continuously. Furthermore, no food or drink was available on the plane, just water.

He went on to say on a flight to Europe you could add another couple of hours and if you had young children it would be impossible

As for long haul not a chance

Anyone listening would simply say no to all of that
    Air travel has never been a pleasant experience anyway;
    "For your safety" (sic) Emirates Business Class meals now come pre-packaged in a handy box. Goodness knows what its like in the cheap seats!
    Good grief. So Business is now basically Economy? And Economy is like the galleys of ancient Rome.

I might take the train to the Riviera this year
    Emirates Business Class seats are great.
    They are. The best maybe. But I am not going to pay £5k for a lovely seat.

I want the whole champagne, canapes, Michelin food and free neck rubs malarkey. I want grovelling and Bollinger, not lying there in a mask sipping water, nibbling a Pret sandwich.

This is a big problem for airlines. So much money comes from Biz.
    Business Class = Spiv Class!
    Agree entirely. First or nothin'.
    You fly commercial?
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766

As Mr T has pointed out, the most important number is the 50%. That said, this government is starting to get the stench of decay around it - remarkably early in its term.

In other news:

Wow. It's almost like the government has been reading my suggestions.
  • kicorsekicorse Posts: 431

I wonder if you asked in an opinion whether Bob Smith should resign from government what percentage would reply yes. It would be a percentage.

And what percentage would say no? Maybe 11%?

Completely hopeless to try to spin this as good for Jenrick. Even 33% percent of Tory voters think he should go. But I don't mind if the government deludes themselves into thinking they can ignore this just because there are a lot of don't knows.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited June 2020
    FTPT
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Yokes said:

I posted on here over a month ago that Trump was finished and that Biden would have to kill a child for Trump to have a chance.

It is fair to say that the joy of the electoral college does give some opportunity where in a binary contest he won't have hope but I suspect come November his biggest problem is that enough of the GOP vote is done with him. They might not cast for Biden but they won't vote for him. Even if Biden outperforms Clinton which looks likely as it stands, too many of Trump voters in 2016 are going to, at the very least, sit it out. Biden has one great asset over Clinton, people don't dislike him. He will, as I have said before, offer a rather sunny contrast to Trump's narcissistic and generally grim shit tendencies.

The die hard base of Trump which sits at 42 or so percent is even at risk on current form.

What the people on the Hill are really looking at is whether Trump's presence will see them to defeat in both houses Congress in November. That's the major concern.

Until Biden gets well over 50% it is clear that just as in 2016 there are still a lot of silent Trump voters
    Is that true?

Let's use the RCP poll of polls...

In 2016, Clinton 2.7% more than her final voting average, while Trump got 3.9% more.

So, there may have been some shy Trump supporters, but they just narrowed the gap by 1.2%.

The other important thing to remember is that most of the people who say "I'm not sure" won't actually vote. That's why both Clinton and Trump rose.
    Biden's poll average today is 49.7%, that is just 1.7% higher than Hillary got in 2016.

There has been no big swing from Trump to Biden, more from Trump to don't know or won't say

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_biden-6247.html
    Maybe I didn't make my point very clearly.

Both Clinton and Trump did better in the election than they did in the final polls of the campaign.

And guess what? That regularly happens (not always) but usually.

It's not because of "shy voters", it's because many people who say "I don't know", don't vote.

Imagine that 40% of people said Democrat, 40% said Republican, and 20% said "don't know". Come election day, the result will be close to 50/50.

You also keep repeating that Trump won the vast majority of the undecideds in 2016. That's simply not true. The total increase for Clinton and Trump was 6.6 percentage points. Of this 6.6, it split roughly 60:40 in favour of Trump.
    This poll had Trump narrowly ahead earlier this month by 48% to 47% noting 'only 37 percent of Trump voters would want their friends and family to know how they had voted while 74 percent of Biden supporters are comfortable with it being known, suggesting there is a “silent vote” for the President.'

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1292288/US-election-2020-donald-trump-poll-results-democracy-institute-of-america

The weighting by party affiliation is absolute and total garbage. It throws into question any finding of that poll.

38/38/24 - Dem/GOP/Ind for the weighting is nonsense.
    Completely deranged.

If he despises our "tacky little country" so much maybe he should just ignore it.
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 24,967
    edited June 2020
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688

In other news:

Equally you might say that despite the incredible challenges the government is still looking quite good.

(Politics aside there has to be a degree of respect for the ministers that are dealing with this. I have a degree of respect for Gordon Brown for much the same reason - very reluctantly though)
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,727

The design seems to be similar to Macron's.
    Wonder what Tim Walker thinks about that plane. Answers on a postcard please.
  • MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

LadyG said:

rcs1000 said:

LadyG said:

nichomar said:

If you are coming out to Spain ensure you carry a mask with you at all times and wear it whenever 1.5 m social distancing is not possible or in a shop, outside or in. This will remain in place Until a vaccine is available. Fines up to €1000

I listened to a report on 5 live this morning of the experiences of a reporter who flew Gatwick to Inverness on EasyJet and it was horrific. The mask was worn throughout the terminal, on boarding and on the one hour flight, and additionally for all the time through baggage claim and beyond. The reporter reckoned on this one hour internal flight he had worn a mask for 4 and a half hours continuously. Furthermore, no food or drink was available on the plane, just water.

He went on to say on a flight to Europe you could add another couple of hours and if you had young children it would be impossible

"For your safety" (sic) Emirates Business Class meals now come pre-packaged in a handy box. Goodness knows what its like in the cheap seats!
    Good grief. So Business is now basically Economy? And Economy is like the galleys of ancient Rome.

I want the whole champagne, canapes, Michelin food and free neck rubs malarkey. I want grovelling and Bollinger, not lying there in a mask sipping water, nibbling a Pret sandwich.

You fly commercial?
    Brilliant put down
    Scott_xP said:
    Even Air Force One can't do that.

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

LadyG said:

rcs1000 said:

LadyG said:

nichomar said:

You fly commercial?
    Brilliant put down
    I have truly been humbled.
  • BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    That looks like a tacky little tweet by a tacky little man representing a tacky little magazine that no one except Scott reads... :wink:
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540

I think they tested that once and got around 11%....the majority were honest enough to "Don't Know"

• FF43FF43 Posts: 15,542

Exactly so. The kind of people that vote for this government are totally on board with moral turpitude. There are a lot of them.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    Jenrick should go, but even as a story about the Housing s Secretary I'm surprised so few have a view.
    Cyclefree said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

I find it quite amazing that the police are sanctioning an illegal activity, saying they will only actually enforce the law if other groups also protest, and only then on that other group. I thought the law was suppose to be applied evenly?

We are witnessing a breakdown in one of the basic tenets of the rule of law. I can see why Patel and the Home Office aren't issuing orders to Chief Constables not to stop the protests - but they really should.
    Protesting is fine, it's the fact that one group is allowed (sanctioned by the police themselves, no less) and any others are not.
    The law gives a method to apply for consent. If BLM have done that but others haven't then why shouldn't one be allowed but not others?
    You have misunderstood the law. The laws about getting police consent were for normal times.

The Coronavirus regulations ban such gatherings. There is no provision in such regulations for obtaining consent. The police should not be permitting this demonstration and by purporting to permit one type of demo and not others they are, arguably, acting ultra vires (ie beyond their powers) and their decision could be challenged via judicial review.

They bloody well ought to be challenged on this. The law applies equally to all or not at all.
    And whether one likes that that is the law now, or things it should be able to be law, it is what it is.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,721
    edited June 2020
    Alistair said:
    My point exactly.

A single publicity shot.
    Omnium said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

LadyG said:

rcs1000 said:

LadyG said:

nichomar said:

You fly commercial?
    Brilliant put down
    I have truly been humbled.
    Yeah don't mess with the Smithson nepotism. They're in charge of 66% of the world's political commentary.
    I know my place.
    I really don't see what is tacky about it. If it was nose to tail in the colours that would be tacky.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,753
    This is too messy and complicated for most people to show an interest or bother trying to understand. It was always thus except for sex which pretty much everyone finds interesting.

That doesn’t mean that the standards which Jenrick fell short of are not important. Indeed you could make a case it makes them even more important. We should be able to rely on people in authority doing the right thing without troubling ourselves with the details. Our public life is diminished by Jenrick not falling on his sword. Not by much, he isn’t that important, but it is another drip. I think that we are entitled to expect better.
  • Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,571
    A net +28% think that Jenrick should resign.

Meanwhile a net +35% (47% - 12%) agree that Starmer was right to sack Long-Bailey.

Once again, Starmer is on the right side of public opinion and Johnson is on the wrong side.

A net +28% think that Jenrick should resign.

Meanwhile a net +35% (47% - 12%) agree that Starmer was right to sack Long-Bailey.

Once again, Starmer is on the right side of public opinion and Johnson is on the wrong side.

But still a minority in both cases. Most voters don't care or don't have an opinion on fluff stories like these.
    Trump is being trolled by Dick Cheney

https://twitter.com/MarisaKabas/status/1276605932861100033
    Why aren't the UK's students tearing down/defacing statues anymore?

Looks like it was just an excuse to get out of their parents houses during lockdown
  • Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,224
    edited June 2020
    DavidL said:

This is too messy and complicated for most people to show an interest or bother trying to understand. It was always thus except for sex which pretty much everyone finds interesting.

That doesn’t mean that the standards which Jenrick fell short of are not important. Indeed you could make a case it makes them even more important. We should be able to rely on people in authority doing the right thing without troubling ourselves with the details. Our public life is diminished by Jenrick not falling on his sword. Not by much, he isn’t that important, but it is another drip. I think that we are entitled to expect better.

Yes, the obsession with what percentage of the public think this, that or the other is irritating at the best of times but doubly so here. The only questions that matter are was it right or wrong, and was it legal or not?

If it was wrong he should resign, if it was illegal he should be charged.

You can't really expect Joe Public to have a full and sophisticated view of this kind of thing. The fact that Joe doesn't shouldn't be an excuse for politcal or legal inertia.
    isam said:

Looks like it was just an excuse to get out of their parents houses during lockdown

Are you disappointed its stopped?

Maybe the slavers have gone and slippery slope arguments suggesting this was never going to stop was hysterical nonsense.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,753
    isam said:

Looks like it was just an excuse to get out of their parents houses during
    lockdown

I think it started raining.

The last edition of the Almanac of British Politics was in 2007.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Almanac_of_British_Politics

Robert Waller's constituency descriptions were always worth reading.

The UK Polling Report website also seems to be on its last legs.

Meanwhile people obsess about the day's bullshit spouting on twatter.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,262
    edited June 2020
    DavidL said:

isam said:

lockdown

Hang on though... didn't @eadric tell us that it was the beginning of the end of western civilisation?

Saved by a drop of rain?
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,059
    isam said:

Contrary to the fevered imagination of those who inhabit this board it was not a popular pastime in any event. The number of statutes removed illegally = 1. Number destroyed = 0. Number irreparably damaged = 0. And we are told this is some sort of Maoist insurgency?
    LadyG said:

isam said:

Maybe the slavers have gone and slippery slope arguments suggesting this was never going to stop was hysterical nonsense.
    Or, alternatively, they don't have to tear them down because the authorities are doing it for them

https://twitter.com/Hells4Heroes/status/1276565873545940993?s=20

https://twitter.com/IslingtonTrib/status/1276471847622791171?s=20

https://twitter.com/DailyMailUK/status/1276194714274930691?s=20
    Fantastic.

So the protest worked. A grand total of one statue illegally pulled down - a whole one. Now its going through legal channels.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,080

DavidL said:

isam said:

lockdown

Hang on though... didn't @eadric tell us that it was the beginning of the end of western civilisation?

Saved by a drop of rain?
    Makes one glad to be British.
    edited June 2020

isam said:

Why would I be disappointed? You were the one cheering them on!

There was only one slaver?!

The BLM rallys/riots haven't stopped, thats disappointing
    edited June 2020
    DougSeal said:
    Can't be the current strain, surely? Or perhaps it was contaminated after the fact.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    RobD said:

He admitted that his decision was unlawful. That is why the Department agreed to a consent order quashing it and the decision on the planning application is now to be taken by another Minister (poor sod) in the Department.

Anyway **buffs nails** re header written on this on 22 June.
    isam said:

isam said:

No I cheered a solitary one on. I cheered on a grand total of one.

I was attacked by more people than I could count on here for that and was told in no uncertain terms it wouldn't stop at one illegally pulled down. That this was going to continue and continue.

Instead its stopped as soon as it started. It started at one and it stopped at one. I was right and everyone who suggested this was some Pandora's Box that would be unending protests and pulling down of statues were wrong.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,557
    LadyG said:
    Quite possibly contamination; not uncommon in testing.
    Can't these fuckwits be publicly named and shamed ?

Supermarkets in Australia have reintroduced limits on purchasing toilet roll amid a rise in panic-buying.

On Friday, Coles imposed a one-pack limit on toilet roll and paper towels nationwide, while Woolworths has a two-pack limit on toilet roll.

The rush was triggered by a spike in Covid-19 cases in the state of Victoria.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison said there was no reason to panic-buy.

Limits were previously imposed in March, when Australian shoppers anticipating a lockdown emptied supermarket shelves. Police were called to one store in Sydney after customers fought over toilet roll.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-53196525

But if anyone ever finds out who he is, he’s going to be REALLY unpopular...
    LadyG said:

DougSeal said:

isam said:

Contrary to the fevered imagination of those who inhabit this board it was not a popular pastime in any event. The number of statutes removed illegally = 1. Number destroyed = 0. Number irreparably damaged = 0. And we are told this is some sort of Maoist insurgency?
    lol
    Are you triggered?
    LadyG said:

DougSeal said:

isam said:

lol
    So, it has come to this

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

LadyG said:

rcs1000 said:

LadyG said:

nichomar said:

You fly commercial?
    Brilliant put down
    My mum’s my biggest fan.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,909
    FPT
    RobD said:

RobD said:

LadyG said:

rcs1000 said:

LadyG said:

nichomar said:

First Class = Snob Class!
    Quite right. :smiley:
    "You Snobs! You Stupid... Stuck-Up... Toffee-Nosed... Half-Witted... Upper-Class Piles of... Pus!"
    - Basil Fawlty.
  • kicorsekicorse Posts: 431
    edited June 2020
    LadyG said:

isam said:

Or, alternatively, they don't have to tear them down because the authorities are doing it for them

Both good explanations. A third is that they have more political nous than people here give them credit for, and realise that they will get more public support if they keep the focus on present injustices.

Either way, odd if someone who criticised them for tearing the statues down now criticises them for stopping. If they are deemed wrong whatever they do, that's fairly strong evidence of prejudice.

Supermarkets in Australia have reintroduced limits on purchasing toilet roll amid a rise in panic-buying.

On Friday, Coles imposed a one-pack limit on toilet roll and paper towels nationwide, while Woolworths has a two-pack limit on toilet roll.

Limits were previously imposed in March, when Australian shoppers anticipating a lockdown emptied supermarket shelves. Police were called to one store in Sydney after customers fought over toilet roll.

Surprised countries haven't established strategic TP reserves at this point.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,392

Arseholes. Albeit clean arseholes.

isam said:

isam said:

I was attacked by more people than I could count on here for that and was told in no uncertain terms it wouldn't stop at one illegally pulled down. That this was going to continue and continue.

Instead its stopped as soon as it started. It started at one and it stopped at one. I was right and everyone who suggested this was some Pandora's Box that would be unending protests and pulling down of statues were wrong.
    No, it has lit the fuse for race riots and civil disorder

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1272023458839506944?s=20

https://twitter.com/Michael_Heaver/status/1276059446393933824?s=20

• SurreySurrey Posts: 190
    edited June 2020
    Will Mike Pence fall with Trump before the election? He says his "hopes and prayers" are that mortality rates won't soar. Unfortunately he refuses to say "wear a damned mask", which is what Marco Rubio is saying. Rubio is looking good.

Pence chairs the White House Coronavirus Task Force. Not doing a "great" job, is he?

Masks could develop into a big issue.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,050
    RobD said:

Those sort of plans are all fart with no follow through.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,742
    LadyG said:

kle4 said:

I really don't see what is tacky about it. If it was nose to tail in the colours that would be tacky.
    The Britain-hating fury of Remoaners is quite magnificent.

In other news: I just heard that one of my best friends lost his job. He won't get much redundancy, he's maybe too old to start over.

He's the first ECONOMIC casualty of the Bug, in my circle.

I fear there will be many many more. An unprecedented slump awaits us. Brrr.

I really hope that there's one of your creations on here that hasn't been sniffed out. There's something a bit pinchbeck about all those personae with exactly the same writing style.
    kicorse said:

LadyG said:

isam said:

Both good explanations. A third is that they have more political nous than people here give them credit for, and realise that they will get more public support if they keep the focus on present injustices.

Either way, odd if someone who criticised them for tearing the statues down now criticises them for stopping. If they are deemed wrong whatever they do, that's fairly strong evidence of prejudice.
    I neither criticised them for doing it in the first place nor stopping. Just commenting on the news
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,909
    LadyG said:

Scott_xP said:
    Hah. Thing is, it DOES look rather cool. And better than the French one
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

No it hasn't. Far right prats and civil disorder existed before this.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    BBC News - Coronavirus: US hits record high in daily cases
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53191287
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,741
    Evening all :)

Back to the US election and my thoughts from the last thread.

There is a route to a Trump win which involves him recovering some ground among the white vote. He can afford to slip a little from 2016 because he has gained ten points in the Hispanic vote (NM anyone?) but the problem is the sheer numbers by which he is down among the 70% of the white vote is a concern.

The Marist poll sample splits by affiliation 38% Democrat, 31% Republican, 29% Independent and 2% other. The Independents break 47-44 for Biden.

In 2016, the party affiliation of the vote split 37% Democrat, 33% Republican and 31% Independent. The Independents split 47-42 to Trump so that's a 4% swing to Biden among the independents.
    If he had stopped after the first two thirds of the sentence I would have agreed, Then he puts in the last bit and I want to punch him in the face repeatedly saying “That 👏 is 👏 why 👏 we 👏lost 👏you 👏 f**king 👏 moron”
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    Did anyone, or does anyone know anyone, who actually ran out of toilet roll?
    And, if so, did they suffer any life-changing effects?
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,583

LadyG said:

kle4 said:

In other news: I just heard that one of my best friends lost his job. He won't get much redundancy, he's maybe too old to start over.

I really hope that there's one of your creations on here that hasn't been sniffed out. There's something a bit pinchbeck about all those personae with exactly the same writing style.
    You can't be right. This one's a lady.

Or do you think that just a wily subterfuge?
    Nigelb said:

LadyG said:
    Quite possibly contamination; not uncommon in testing.
    Note the detection was for a single day in 2019, and that was the sole positive result. It’s not utterly impossible that there was a single case who failed to infect anyone, but contamination seems more likely.

This result from the survey is of more interest (and of far greater statistical significance):
    ... Unexpectedly, analysis of archival samples revealed the increasing occurrence of SARS-CoV-2 genomes in samples from January 15 to March 4, 2020 (Figure 1, panels D and E). Of note, SARS-CoV-2 was detected in sewage 41 days (January 15) before the declaration of the first COVID-19 case (February 25), clearly evidencing the validity of wastewater surveillance to anticipate cases in the population. This SARS- CoV-2 early detection in sewage supports the idea that COVID-19 cases may have been present in the population before the first imported case was reported. COVID-19 carriers may have been misclassified as influenza diagnoses in primary care, boosting community transmission before public health measures were taken (11)...

LadyG said:

kle4 said:

G for gin ?
    So can you believe that some people are getting a double digit increase in pay right now?

Well, not quite. The 20% temporary pay cut is over. And being replaced by a 10% temporary pay cut.
    Cyclefree said:

RobD said:

He admitted that his decision was unlawful. That is why the Department agreed to a consent order quashing it and the decision on the planning application is now to be taken by another Minister (poor sod) in the Department.

Anyway **buffs nails** re header written on this on 22 June.
    Doesn't seem like they had much of a choice, given the need to be whiteer than white in these matters.
    DougSeal said:

If he had stopped after the first two thirds of the sentence I would have agreed, Then he puts in the last bit and I want to punch him in the face repeatedly saying “That 👏 is 👏 why 👏 we 👏lost 👏you 👏 f**king 👏 moron”
    Yep.
    edited June 2020

BBC News - Coronavirus: US hits record high in daily cases
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53191287

North and South America is where its at, with India speeding up.

edited June 2020

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

No it hasn't. Far right prats and civil disorder existed before this.
    Hadn't noticed much in the preceding three months

Oh well, as long as your comfortable there, I am happy to be in complete disagreement
    dixiedean said:

We bottomed out at 6 before new supplies arrived.
    LadyG said:

Scott_xP said:
    At £900,000, I can't help thinking someone smart has trousered £890,000 of profit.

I have a garden bridge to sell, a snip at £53m.

dixiedean said:

Thats a tissue of lies.
  • EPGEPG Posts: 5,996

LadyG said:

kle4 said:

We know we're running out when we end up with an Isle of Man restaurateur. Who thinks "the West" is in "decline". And writes like THIS. EXACTLY THIS.
    Scott_xP said:
    Fuck me! Tory donor went to a fundraising dinner and had drinks at a drinks party

This is unprecedented
  • eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,861
    RobD said:

Most countries have the "reserves" and can quickly increase production if need be. The problem is the logistics and the in supermarket space has been optimised so well, it is difficult to double up on one of the bulkiest products sold.

Angela Merkel in March said that we have enough toilet paper as long as no one hamsters* it.

hamstern=to panic buy in German
    Nigelb said:

LadyG said:

kle4 said:

G for gin ?
    LadyG is what some people are allegedly calling Lindsey Graham. You dont think...
    Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

Thats a tissue of lies.
    You’re on a roll.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,742
    Nigelb said:

LadyG said:

kle4 said:

G for gin ?
    Gyn, just in case anyone doubts the Lady component.
    LadyG said:

isam said:

As a trustee of Canterbury Archaeological Trust, I’m pretty confident that the good Archbishop is referring to a number of memorials to the perpetrators of our various colonial adventures that have been placed in the Cathedral over the last 150 years of its 1500 year history, like the memorial to the Buffs’ Zulu War outing - https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/40930 . My own view is that the Victorians cluttered the nave with such things but views differ. Calling it some sort of cultural genocide, however, is palpably bollocks.

The other two are reviews. No one has made any decisions. Don’t like it, vote out the good councillors of Islington and RBKC.
    dixiedean said:

My wife has matured into a fine woman, despite the outside toilet of her childhood years having been stocked only with torn up old newspaper.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,262
    isam said:

Scott_xP said:
    Fuck me! Tory donor went to a fundraising dinner and had drinks at a drinks party

This is unprecedented
    Tory donor gets massive payback for donations - not quite so unprecidented.

LadyG said:

Scott_xP said:
    At £900,000, I can't help thinking someone smart has trousered £890,000 of profit.

Didn't that turn out to be the cost of the overall maintenance, and the painting was a fraction of that cost?
    edited June 2020
    isam said:

Scott_xP said:

This is unprecedented
    I cannot understand why PB Tories think these "look squirrel" tactics will fool anyone.

It is not the fundraising dinner that raiases an eyebrow. It is the aroma of possible corruption after that dinner that causes consternation.

isam said:

Scott_xP said:

This is unprecedented
    Tory donor gets massive payback for donations - not quite so unprecidented.
    Great value for money.
    RobD said:

LadyG said:

Scott_xP said:

Didn't that turn out to be the cost of the overall maintenance, and the painting was a fraction of that cost?
    I don't know. When the chips are down for Johnson, £900,000 is the figure people will remember, and he will be judged on it, accurate or otherwise.
  • TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited June 2020
    These days polls often categorise punters by "remain" or "leave".
    I wonder what the split was/is for the Bournemouth beach crowd, indeed, for those in my big Tesco's who do/don't respect the arrows.

RobD said:

LadyG said:

Scott_xP said:

I don't know. When the chips are down for Johnson, £900,000 is the figure people will remember, and he will be judged on it, accurate or otherwise.
    True. Why let facts get in the way of a good headline.

isam said:

Scott_xP said:

This is unprecedented
    I cannot understand why PB Tories think these "look squirrel" tactics will fool anyone.

It is not the fundraising dinner that raiases an eyebrow. It is the aroma of possible corruption after that dinner that causes constanation.
    We've another four years of this sort of thing to come. The aroma will have turned into a foul stench by the end of them.
This discussion has been closed.