Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The first of the front pages not good for Boris

Comments

• Options
    Big G you're embarrassing yourself again with your Tory propaganda
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,216

At what point do these lockdowns prove that the Government has conclusively failed and we have come out too early?

It would have to be at some point in the future when there were more than one and so you could use the plural.

If local lockdowns are not sufficient to prevent an overall rise in the incidence of the virus within the UK then it will point to a failure of policy - but if they are sufficient to keep the overall incidence of the virus low, and decreasing, then why would you have more lockdown that wasn't required?
  • Options
    fox327fox327 Posts: 366
    Now we know that if you have COVID symptoms and you request a test, this will be done under Pillar 2 of the testing regime. If you test positive for COVID this could lead to your community being put under a local lockdown. Will this discourage some people from coming forwards to be tested?
  • Options
    LadyG said:

dixiedean said:

LadyG said:

Nigelb said:

Unexplained mass elephant dying:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-53257512

Christ. What a miserable era this is
    Indeed. A plague of locusts has ravaged the crops of Sardinia.
    When I read that I thought Daily Mash.
    Sadly not.
    2020 is by far the most depressing year of my life, to date, and I was born in the mid 1960s.

And we are only half way through. Indeed, exactly half way through
    And with many things - like plagues of locusts - it's not like it's going to get any better once 2020 is over and done with. Last week I've read an article pointing out quite elaborately that the many locust plagues of the recent past can only be explained convincingly by changing climate patterns. And these are unlikely to be reversed in the foreseeable future.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    edited July 2020
    fox327 said:

Now we know that if you have COVID symptoms and you request a test, this will be done under Pillar 2 of the testing regime. If you test positive for COVID this could lead to your community being put under a local lockdown. Will this discourage some people from coming forwards to be tested?

Depends, do you hate your community enough for it to run rampant? ;)
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,585
    edited July 2020
    O/T

The England cricket squad is practising for their series against the West Indies by playing a 3 day match against each other because there wasn't an alternative.
  • Options
    LadyGLadyG Posts: 2,221
    A measure of how global and rampant this disease is now. The UK recorded 830 new cases today, not a small number.

But on Worldometer that only puts us in.... 26th position (for today).

Israel had 1,000 new cases today

Turkey, 2,000

Saudi, 3,400

South Africa, 8,000

Brazil, 40,000

USA, 45,000 (so far)

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,923
    HYUFD said:
    RobD said:

eristdoof said:

Charles said:

Isn’t that just saying NYC got it bad early and now everywhere is catching up?
    I think it was HYUFD pointed out the flaw with these charts, last time they were posted here.
    It is difficult to know what is really going on because we don' know the totals. A realistic scenario for these graphs is that the blue states start off with lots os cases and the red states not so many. Ten the number of new cases in the blue states drops, but stays constant in the red states. You would exactly this graph.
    A similar plrot showing total numbers not proportions would be far more informative.
    The plot here is of per capita cases. Looks interesting to me.

https://tamino.wordpress.com/2020/06/28/covid-19-red-states-blue-states-redux/
    But you have to control for the huge increase in testing done between the start and end of that plot... somehow.
    Trump's going to sort that, no worries.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    LadyG said:

dixiedean said:

LadyG said:

Nigelb said:

Sadly not.
    2020 is by far the most depressing year of my life, to date, and I was born in the mid 1960s.

Do you have any memory of the 1968/69 flu epidemic? (It killed about 80,000 people in the UK, which would be around 100,000 today taking population increase into account).
  • Options

LadyG said:

dixiedean said:

LadyG said:

Nigelb said:

Sadly not.

And with many things - like plagues of locusts - it's not like it's going to get any better once 2020 is over and done with. Last week I've read an article pointing out quite elaborately that the many locust plagues of the recent past can only be explained convincingly by changing climate patterns. And these are unlikely to be reversed in the foreseeable future.
    Danke for that

O tempora, o mores, o fuck
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,921
    Well well

"The BBC has told its presenters and guests not to wear Black Lives Matter badges as the campaign was accused of “hijacking” George Floyd’s death for political reasons.

Bosses at the corporation have decided not to allow “visual symbols of support” for Black Lives Matter to be worn on screen, senior sources told The Telegraph.

It comes as a number of high-profile organisations were forced to backtrack on their support for the Black Lives Matter movement as its UK arm publicly criticised Israel and called on the British government to “defund the police”."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/07/01/exclusive-bbc-bans-black-lives-matters-badges-air/?utm_content=telegraph&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1593635759
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,076
    LadyG said:

A measure of how global and rampant this disease is now. The UK recorded 830 new cases today, not a small number.

Turkey, 2,000

Saudi, 3,400

South Africa, 8,000

Brazil, 40,000

USA, 45,000 (so far)

That's 830 from over 200k tests.

Do we know how many tests for those other countries ?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

LadyG said:

dixiedean said:

LadyG said:

Nigelb said:

Sadly not.

Do you have any memory of the 1968/69 flu epidemic? (It killed about 80,000 people in the UK, which would be around 100,000 today taking population increase into account).
    But that WAS flu. Just a really bad flu year

As we now know. Covid-19 is not the flu. It's more infectious, more deadly, and has creepy new characteristics, with long term consequences. There is no vaccine, no one has immunity, the only remedy is economy-ruining lockdowns, unless you react very very quickly and deftly, and even then that might not work long term.

I agree that the internet amplifies disaster, but in this case it really is disaster, to start with
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,921
    Can imagine Corbyn telling Starmer "We use words like "black," "lives," "matter." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line."

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1278433396516163585?s=21
  • Options
    Looking at the US figures, there's been a big increase in cases recently, but not in deaths. Maybe an indication it's mainly younger people being affected.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/
  • Options

LadyG said:

Turkey, 2,000

Saudi, 3,400

South Africa, 8,000

Brazil, 40,000

USA, 45,000 (so far)

A good point. In terms of tests per million, the UK is now the BEST performing large nation in the world, just ahead of Russia (and also Singapore - we are testing more than Singapore!). We are way ahead of Germany.

But of course we have more disease, so we need more tests.

• Options
    isam said:

Well well

"The BBC has told its presenters and guests not to wear Black Lives Matter badges as the campaign was accused of “hijacking” George Floyd’s death for political reasons.

Bosses at the corporation have decided not to allow “visual symbols of support” for Black Lives Matter to be worn on screen, senior sources told The Telegraph.

It comes as a number of high-profile organisations were forced to backtrack on their support for the Black Lives Matter movement as its UK arm publicly criticised Israel and called on the British government to “defund the police”."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/07/01/exclusive-bbc-bans-black-lives-matters-badges-air/?utm_content=telegraph&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1593635759

The previous version of BLM, in 2016, eventually destroyed itself because of anti-Semitism
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Looking at the US figures, there's been a big increase in cases recently, but not in deaths. Maybe an indication it's mainly younger people being affected.

Maybe. But then again it may be an indication for the fact that people don't die of the disease that quickly, but instead take their time to do so.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,561
    BoJo = Bozo When you elect a clown to lead, you make your country a bad joke.

Aside from Brexit & etc., would appear to Americans that Britons put a music hall act into No 10 Downing St, because they were copying us in installing Trumpsky's 3-ring circus as 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

Now imitation IS the sincerest form of flattery. BUT somewhow I do NOT feel flattered.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962

Andy_JS said:

Maybe. But then again it may be an indication for the fact that people don't die of the disease that quickly, but instead take their time to do so.
    I think we should be seeing an uptick in the deaths soon if this is the case. It started rising again about two weeks ago.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,989
    LadyG said:

LadyG said:

Turkey, 2,000

Saudi, 3,400

South Africa, 8,000

Brazil, 40,000

USA, 45,000 (so far)

A good point. In terms of tests per million, the UK is now the BEST performing large nation in the world, just ahead of Russia (and also Singapore - we are testing more than Singapore!). We are way ahead of Germany.

Yes, I did my covid test at home last week
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Of course.

Also, hospitalisations are up in some states that record them, like California. And ICUs are approaching capacity

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1278460910462308352/photo/2

And Arizona had its worst day for deaths today

It's a younger cohort getting infected, so deaths will really lag. But it is unfortunately quite likely that the US daily death toll will eventually rise again

• Options
    edited July 2020
    It shouldn't be about winners and losers. I wish they wouldn't ask divisive questions like this.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

Turkey, 2,000

Saudi, 3,400

South Africa, 8,000

Brazil, 40,000

USA, 45,000 (so far)

I've heard it is really painful - a big spike up your nose. Is it? Or did you do the antibody blood test?
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    LadyG said:

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

Turkey, 2,000

Saudi, 3,400

South Africa, 8,000

Brazil, 40,000

USA, 45,000 (so far)

I've heard it is really painful - a big spike up your nose. Is it? Or did you do the antibody blood test?
    It is not comfortable but only lasts about 10 seconds for each nostril and tonsil, I did it in the bathroom before 8am
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

Turkey, 2,000

Saudi, 3,400

South Africa, 8,000

Brazil, 40,000

USA, 45,000 (so far)

It is not comfortable but only lasts about 10 seconds for each nostril and tonsil, I did it in the bathroom before 8am
    Ta, What happens then? Do you post it off? How long before a result?
  • Options
    matthiasfromhamburgmatthiasfromhamburg Posts: 957
    edited July 2020
    RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

I think we should be seeing an uptick in the deaths soon if this is the case. It started rising again about two weeks ago.
    My guess is that among the people hit earliest the recovery rate will be higher and the time from infection to exitus will be longer than for the latecomers, once the health system is overwhelmed, I'd expect these measurements to deteriorate.
  • Options

RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

My guess is that among the people hit earliest the recovery rate will be higher and the time from infection to exitus will be longer than for the latecomers, once the health system is overwhelmed, I'd expect these measures to deteriorate.
    You expect the US health system to be overwhelmed? That's quite pessimistic! This is the richest country on earth. In the end the Fed can pour resources into the problem

I can easily see health systems being swamped in Latin America, India, Africa. Sadly
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Is it just me or does this headline come across as implying a touch of cynicism over the decision by the government, as if it couldn't possibly just be the right thing to do?

"Hong Kong: What is behind the UK's citizenship offer?
    Laura Kuenssberg"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-53258403
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,056
    Andy_JS said:

Is it just me or does this headline come across as implying a touch of cynicism over the decision by the government, as if it couldn't possibly just be the right thing to do?

Laura Kuenssberg"

The BBC are just institutionally supercilious and assume they are catering for morons.
  • Options
    LadyG said:

RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

My guess is that among the people hit earliest the recovery rate will be higher and the time from infection to exitus will be longer than for the latecomers, once the health system is overwhelmed, I'd expect these measures to deteriorate.
    You expect the US health system to be overwhelmed? That's quite pessimistic! This is the richest country on earth. In the end the Fed can pour resources into the problem

I can easily see health systems being swamped in Latin America, India, Africa. Sadly
    Not everywhere. But you certainly have seen what happened in NY, one of the world's most eminent cities. What use is capacity in Boston or Chicago when people are stacked on top of each other in Houston, Miami or Phoenix?
  • Options
  • Options
    LadyG said:

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

Turkey, 2,000

Saudi, 3,400

South Africa, 8,000

Brazil, 40,000

USA, 45,000 (so far)

Ta, What happens then? Do you post it off? How long before a result?
    You put it in a tube and box and a courier picks it up, then wait for the result
  • Options
    LadyG said:
    The French haven't tested all that much. One consequence is a low number of asymptomatic and less symptomatic cases. That will be reflected in case fatality rates.
  • Options

LadyG said:

RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

Not everywhere. But you certainly have seen what happened in NY, one of the world's most eminent cities. What use is capacity in Boston or Chicago when people are stacked on top of each other in Houston, Miami or Phoenix?
    I take your point, but I think, in the end, the USG would start flying patients around the country, as the French did when they were nearly swamped

I fear for countries without the ability to do that.

This is a nice bit of data. Worrying signs from South Africa and Nigeria

https://twitter.com/ExanteData/status/1278448632170151939?s=20
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    LadyG said:

Foxy said:

LadyG said:
    Air con may be a factor in spreading. The virus likes cool moist surfaces.
    I am convinced aircon is a vector
    It doesn't even have to be doing anything positive to spread the virus - its problem may be simply that it makes it desirable to be inside rather than outside.
  • Options
    It's going to get bad in Nigeria. This is like the early stuff we saw from Iran

https://twitter.com/enugumetro/status/1278470393574154240?s=20
  • Options
    alteregoalterego Posts: 1,100

Andy_JS said:

Laura Kuenssberg"

The BBC are just institutionally supercilious and assume they are catering for morons.
    Standards at BBC are reflective of what many now think BBC means
  • Options
    LadyG said:

This is a report from 6 years ago.

"Western lifestyles fuel growing obesity epidemic in Nigeria

Obesity is spreading in parts of sub-Saharan Africa, according to a new study that blames westernised lifestyles and warns of health problems to come"

https://www.theguardian.com/society/the-shape-we-are-in-blog/2014/jul/07/obesity-nigeria
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

LadyG said:

Obesity is spreading in parts of sub-Saharan Africa, according to a new study that blames westernised lifestyles and warns of health problems to come"

https://www.theguardian.com/society/the-shape-we-are-in-blog/2014/jul/07/obesity-nigeria
    Yeah, lots of Nigerians are really fat. Same goes for Gulf Arabs, who also have a massive Covid problem

I wonder if East Asia's ability to skirt covid-19 nightmares is just because they are thinner? Vietnam has one of the lowest obesity levels in the world, they crushed the virus overnight
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    Oh dear - it looks as though the public have some sanity and judgement left after all!

Not to mention a familiarity with the concept of personal responsibility.
  • Options
    LadyG said:

Andy_JS said:

LadyG said:

Yeah, lots of Nigerians are really fat. Same goes for Gulf Arabs, who also have a massive Covid problem

I wonder if East Asia's ability to skirt covid-19 nightmares is just because they are thinner? Vietnam has one of the lowest obesity levels in the world, they crushed the virus overnight
    They "crushed the virus overnight" by suppressing transmission. Obesity may well be one of several factors impacting the outcome once you've caught the disease. It doesn't really impact the infectiousness.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,203
    tlg86 said:

This still feels pretty thin. No one will care about Leicester (or anywhere else for that matter) when the real economic pain begins to be felt.

What do you mean “when”? It’s already started, as the announcements of job losses over the last couple of days make clear.
  • Options

LadyG said:

Andy_JS said:

LadyG said:

They "crushed the virus overnight" by suppressing transmission. Obesity may well be one of several factors impacting the outcome once you've caught the disease. It doesn't really impact the infectiousness.
    It might do. We just don't know.

Non-obese people might suffer less severe or asymptomatic disease. or their immune systems might be better at fighting it off outright, reducing R0

The lack of obesity in Vietnam is really striking. I've been there several times, last time a couple of years ago. The food is superb, and incredibly healthy - lots of greens, fish, non-processed carbs. It's a poor country still, yet they have avoided the Covid fate of comparable countries in Latin America, South Asia, or, probably, Africa
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    LadyG said:

Nigeria death rate per million 3, global average death rate per million 66, Iran death rate per million 130
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960
    HYUFD said:
    I'd be very surprised if Mark Kelly doesn't meaningfully outpoll Biden in Arizona. My wild guess (based on being in business in Arizona) is that he'll nab the Senate seat, but Trump will beat out Biden.

That being said, if CV-19 continue to worsen in AZ, then Trump could be in trouble there too.
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,442
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:
    I'd be very surprised if Mark Kelly doesn't meaningfully outpoll Biden in Arizona. My wild guess (based on being in business in Arizona) is that he'll nab the Senate seat, but Trump will beat out Biden.

That being said, if CV-19 continue to worsen in AZ, then Trump could be in trouble there too.
    What are your thoughts on the Kentucky senate race? To me Mcgrath seems a little over hyped as a split ticket is necessary. However with rising unemployment (35%+), potential COVID uptick, heinously unpopular incumbent could it be a dream night for the Dems?

I don't see any value at 10/3.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    It looks like Michigan and Arizona are going to Biden, which means Trump will have to concentrate his efforts in Wisconsin and Pennsylvania, (as well as possibly Minnesota, New Hampshire and Maine).

Edit: just seen the poll below putting Trump ahead in Arizona.
  • Options
    LadyG said:

LadyG said:

Andy_JS said:

LadyG said:

It might do. We just don't know.

Non-obese people might suffer less severe or asymptomatic disease. or their immune systems might be better at fighting it off outright, reducing R0

The lack of obesity in Vietnam is really striking. I've been there several times, last time a couple of years ago. The food is superb, and incredibly healthy - lots of greens, fish, non-processed carbs. It's a poor country still, yet they have avoided the Covid fate of comparable countries in Latin America, South Asia, or, probably, Africa
    Whatever it was that worked in their favour, there can be no doubt that, karmically, they deserved to catch a break, after everything they had to suffer from the Chinese, the French, the Japanese, the French again and finally the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave.
    Well done, Vietnam. Well done, karma.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

What are your thoughts on the Kentucky senate race? To me Mcgrath seems a little over hyped as a split ticket is necessary. However with rising unemployment (35%+), potential COVID uptick, heinously unpopular incumbent could it be a dream night for the Dems?

I don't see any value at 10/3.
    I would be surprised if McConnell if lost. But I guess this is where the Democrats are lucky. The Republicans in Kentucky will need to spend dollars defending McConnell, and that's dollars that would otherwise be used to support Trump is Wisconsin.

10/3 is not value.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

It looks like Michigan and Arizona are going to Biden, which means Trump will have to concentrate his efforts in Wisconsin and Pennsylvania, (as well as possibly Minnesota, New Hampshire and Maine).

My guess is that Wisconsin and Michigan are gone for Trump. That takes the Dems to 258.

I'm not convinced that Minnesota is in play because, in 2018, that was the state that swung most heavily to the Dems. That does not suggest that it is trending Republican.

Maine and New Hampshire are tough calls too.

I think if I were to bet on a surprise Republican pickup this time around, it would be Virginia.

If I am right that WI and MI are lost to Trump, that leaves the Dems needing 12 electoral college votes to pick up.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

What's the explanation for why we don't know the figure how many people we've tested for like the last month?

The contract with the companies doing testing doesn't seem to include communicating the results to anyone.
    Beyond f*ing words. What an utter shambles this lot are proving to be.

https://twitter.com/johnharris1969/status/1278259630628618241
    I doubt Boris or Hancock have drawn up the contracts themselves.

What we are seeing is the general unfitness for purpose of the alphabet soup.
    I don't think PHE would negotiate a contract that kept themselves in the dark! It is the usual private sector troughers.
    Without the private sector covid would have overwhelmed the NHS and much more
    Nah, the private hospitals like the Nightingales have been hardly used. The real work was done by Acute Hospital Trusts.

You are blinkered. The private sector involvement has been huge and I am surprised that you cannot accept that
    Big G, I think we can trust the Doc on this one.
    I completely disagree.

The private hospitals were part of the capacity building strategy.

To say “Ner ner, we did all the work, we’re the heroes and you’re just the “private sector” I” is profoundly unhelpful
  • Options

Virtually all the housing data that I see come from biased sources, usually trying to ramp sales (amazing opportunities etc.). I'm advising a friend on house purchase in Oxfordshire and am genuinely unsure what to suggest is likely - are we expecting a continued slide in prices, or a bounce back, or what?
    The answer is no one really has a clue

Interest rates will be lower for longer removing a point of pressure

But lots of people may be unemployed

Many people may be nervous to take on a mortgage reducing demand

While lots of people will want a house with a garden increasing demand
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

LadyG said:

dixiedean said:

LadyG said:

Nigelb said:

Sadly not.

I discussed that with my mother last weekend. She was 20 at the time.

Absolutely no memory. The government did nothing - it was just one of those things that happened. No lockdown or anything
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

My guess is that Wisconsin and Michigan are gone for Trump. That takes the Dems to 258.

I'm not convinced that Minnesota is in play because, in 2018, that was the state that swung most heavily to the Dems. That does not suggest that it is trending Republican.

I think if I were to bet on a surprise Republican pickup this time around, it would be Virginia.

If I am right that WI and MI are lost to Trump, that leaves the Dems needing 12 electoral college votes to pick up.
    If anything, Robert, VA continues to trend Dem, not GOP. No indication that the GOP have anything going for them in the DC region at all. If the military are wobbly on Trump, then Tidewater will be gone to them too. No population left for Trump to overhaul the Dems then.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Charles said:

Andy_JS said:

LadyG said:

dixiedean said:

LadyG said:

Nigelb said:

Sadly not.

Absolutely no memory. The government did nothing - it was just one of those things that happened. No lockdown or anything

I remember getting it. Certainly no lockdown, but if you got it, you were going nowhere but bed until you recovered.
  • Options
    "Police have pledged to stop and fine drivers trying to flee Leicester for drinking or shopping after the city was put under a fresh lockdown following a spike in Covid-19 cases in the city.

Officers will carry out spot checks on vehicles leaving locked-down Leicester and could turn them around if their journey is not essential, it was revealed today, as confusion reigned because some areas in the city limits are in lockdown while neighbours are not.

Leicestershire Police is also threatening £100 fines amid growing concerns that residents may flee for the county's open pubs, hair salons or other attractions while patrols will also break up mass gatherings in the city after they were partially blamed for a spike in coronavirus cases in June."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8481783/Leaders-councils-threatened-Leicester-style-lockdowns-reject-idea.html
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,562
    LadyG said:

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

Turkey, 2,000

Saudi, 3,400

South Africa, 8,000

Brazil, 40,000

USA, 45,000 (so far)

It’s not unless you do in wrong (which usually means pushing too hard, and/or upwards rather than back). Toughest thing for some is suppressing the vomit reflex as you tickle your tonsils.
  • Options
    The Thai regime seems regularly to be murdering its critics in exile:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-53212932
  • Options
    The US seems to be aiming for herd immunity before vaccines are available.

https://twitter.com/amymaxmen/status/1278511165593845760
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    TimT said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

If anything, Robert, VA continues to trend Dem, not GOP. No indication that the GOP have anything going for them in the DC region at all. If the military are wobbly on Trump, then Tidewater will be gone to them too. No population left for Trump to overhaul the Dems then.
    On the Morning Consult state-level approval polls, Trump is doing best in Pennsylvania (-1) and Virginia (-5), while he's at -10 in both Wisconsin and Michigan. These are from Feb, so he's probably got a little worse since then. Nevertheless, Trump is doing better in Democratic Virginia than in Republican Wisconsin or Michigan.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,906
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Charles said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

What's the explanation for why we don't know the figure how many people we've tested for like the last month?

The contract with the companies doing testing doesn't seem to include communicating the results to anyone.

I don't think PHE would negotiate a contract that kept themselves in the dark! It is the usual private sector troughers.
    Nah, the private hospitals like the Nightingales have been hardly used. The real work was done by Acute Hospital Trusts.

You are blinkered. The private sector involvement has been huge and I am surprised that you cannot accept that
    I completely disagree.

To say “Ner ner, we did all the work, we’re the heroes and you’re just the “private sector” I” is profoundly unhelpful
    They are also, at least down here, under contract to the NHS until next Monday, so what they have or haven't done since March has been entirely the decision of the NHS,
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,599
    rkrkrk said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

I do not accept that the private sector involvement across the UK did not contribute to preventing the NHS being overwhelmed
    It didn't. Private hospital capacity was barely used.
    We certainly paid for it though. £400m/month and counting.

I can understand where the Treasury are coming from when they look at that deal and say it's terrible value for money. Maybe that's the price you pay for underinvestment and trying to be efficient/have low spare capacity.
    It is beginning to be used, now that we are in the recovery phase. Last week our Spire cleared the colonoscopy backlog for example. It was hardly used in the main peak was my point.
  • Options
    "Haile Selassie: Statue of former Ethiopian leader destroyed in London park"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53259409
  • Options
    What do Alanis Morissette and the MP for Mid Beds have in common?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

I completely disagree.

They are also, at least down here, under contract to the NHS until next Monday, so what they have or haven't done since March has been entirely the decision of the NHS,
    Though the NHS has been operating under central "Command and Control" rather than local NHS.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    rcs1000 said:

What do Alanis Morissette and the MP for Mid Beds have in common?

They don't understand what irony is?
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,250
    Scott_xP said:
    That's actually a great line. There must be a few Biden-waverers who will think "I want a president who reads his daily briefings". It reminds people of the bounty scandal without getting into it. And it reminds people of what an incredibly low bar there is for anyone to be a better president than Trump.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"Police have pledged to stop and fine drivers trying to flee Leicester for drinking or shopping after the city was put under a fresh lockdown following a spike in Covid-19 cases in the city.

Officers will carry out spot checks on vehicles leaving locked-down Leicester and could turn them around if their journey is not essential, it was revealed today, as confusion reigned because some areas in the city limits are in lockdown while neighbours are not.

Leicestershire Police is also threatening £100 fines amid growing concerns that residents may flee for the county's open pubs, hair salons or other attractions while patrols will also break up mass gatherings in the city after they were partially blamed for a spike in coronavirus cases in June."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8481783/Leaders-councils-threatened-Leicester-style-lockdowns-reject-idea.html

The White Horse in Scraptoft will be busy. It is a large Weatherspoons just outside the boundary, and easy walking distance from the Thurnby Lodge Estate. There may be other similar pubs, but I don't think shops will be very busy outside, and hairdressers need booking weeks ahead. All the main Leicestershire shopping areas are included in the lockdown.

I may report from my local pub on Saturday, but I suspect the landlord won't be be serving non regulars.He is already pulling his hair out over trying to make the regulations work.
  • Options
    kamski said:

That's actually a great line. There must be a few Biden-waverers who will think "I want a president who reads his daily briefings". It reminds people of the bounty scandal without getting into it. And it reminds people of what an incredibly low bar there is for anyone to be a better president than Trump.

I think this is their best work to date

https://twitter.com/ProjectLincoln/status/1278430418161872909
  • Options
    "A harbour no more
    China’s draconian security law for Hong Kong buries one country, two systems
    The regime in Beijing would rather be feared than admired"

https://www.economist.com/leaders/2020/07/01/chinas-draconian-security-law-for-hong-kong-buries-one-country-two-systems
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Re:discussion about pubs opening on a Saturday earlier. I think some people are overlooking that pubs will open when pubs will open. The biggest chain of pubs in my part of the world (Young’s) will not be opening until Monday 20th July.

I also think people are not factoring in that I imagine most pubs will not be allowing a free for all (and it will not be in their interests to do so). I expect many/most to be imposing limits on numbers, possibly limits on consumption, maybe insisting on seating only etc etc. Responsible pub owners will be fully conscious of the damage images of drunken revelry would cause them and will want to avoid it. Irresponsible ones will be running grave risks of being immediately shut down again.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"A harbour no more

https://www.economist.com/leaders/2020/07/01/chinas-draconian-security-law-for-hong-kong-buries-one-country-two-systems

Hong Kong had a very large share of Chinas GDP in 1997, but much less significant now.

Does anyone have figures on how many of the are British Overseas passport holders? And the age range? I would have thought that they would be the older population, while the young protestors are mostly born after 1997.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,272
    LadyG said:

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

Turkey, 2,000

Saudi, 3,400

South Africa, 8,000

Brazil, 40,000

USA, 45,000 (so far)

Something tells me that, remarkably for a lady, you’ve had swabs in more painful places.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,191
    Charles said:

Andy_JS said:

LadyG said:

dixiedean said:

LadyG said:

Nigelb said:

Sadly not.

I misread this comment at first. I was startled to learn Charles’ mother was 20 last weekend.

Then I engaged my brain.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    And Jenrick. Don’t forget Jenrick.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Re:discussion about pubs opening on a Saturday earlier. I think some people are overlooking that pubs will open when pubs will open. The biggest chain of pubs in my part of the world (Young’s) will not be opening until Monday 20th July.

I also think people are not factoring in that I imagine most pubs will not be allowing a free for all (and it will not be in their interests to do so). I expect many/most to be imposing limits on numbers, possibly limits on consumption, maybe insisting on seating only etc etc. Responsible pub owners will be fully conscious of the damage images of drunken revelry would cause them and will want to avoid it. Irresponsible ones will be running grave risks of being immediately shut down again.

I don't expect New Year's Eve type crowds, though probably somewhere in the country will be in the news.

Transmission in Leicester seems to be at workplaces and homes, not pubs or shops, so I wouldn't expect a lot of difference.

The problem is that when your only tool is a lockdown hammer, every problem starts to look like a nail.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

It was after all why the Italians quickly abandoned their local:lockdown in Lombardy, after all the footage of Italians fleeing the region for family across the country. At the time the conclusion was that such measures were counterproductive and italy quickly locked down everywhere.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

LadyG said:

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

Turkey, 2,000

Saudi, 3,400

South Africa, 8,000

Brazil, 40,000

USA, 45,000 (so far)

Something tells me that, remarkably for a lady, you’ve had swabs in more painful places.
    Balls, sir.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,977
    ydoethur said:

Charles said:

Andy_JS said:

LadyG said:

dixiedean said:

LadyG said:

Nigelb said:

Sadly not.

I misread this comment at first. I was startled to learn Charles’ mother was 20 last weekend.

Then I engaged my brain.
    I was running a busy pharmacy in 1968/9, and TBH, I really don't recall anything disastrous either. My 'last' grandparent died that winter, but as she was 83 and had been ill for a while that wasn't too surprising.
    However, on reflection she was about a year older than I am now, so.....
    I've a better memory of 1957, which was bad, too.
    But in neither case were there any lockdowns or similar interventions.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

kamski said:

Clearly a take off of the The Americans title sequence. An effective line marred by having to be very quick at reading subtitles.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,328
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

"A harbour no more

Hong Kong had a very large share of Chinas GDP in 1997, but much less significant now.

Does anyone have figures on how many of the are British Overseas passport holders? And the age range? I would have thought that they would be the older population, while the young protestors are mostly born after 1997.
    It'd about half. 3 million or so of Hong Kong's 7 million or so.

You've got to remember there was lots of immigration from the mainland by Chinese proper after 1997.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

"A harbour no more

You've got to remember there was lots of immigration from the mainland by Chinese proper after 1997.
    According to R4 yesterday the offer potentially extends to families.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Foxy said:

alex_ said:

I don't expect New Year's Eve type crowds, though probably somewhere in the country will be in the news.

Transmission in Leicester seems to be at workplaces and homes, not pubs or shops, so I wouldn't expect a lot of difference.

The problem is that when your only tool is a lockdown hammer, every problem starts to look like a nail.
    Indeed. It's in meat factories and clothing factories etc. but these dipsticks don't seem to understand that.

We can't afford a second lockdown. The economy is already dying.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Clearly a take off of the The Americans title sequence. An effective line marred by having to be very quick at reading subtitles.

https://twitter.com/tribelaw/status/1278499093350879233
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,891
    Scott_xP said:
    I'm guessing it is over the target audience's heads how mangled the communist and post-communist messaging is in this video.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,995
    Scott_xP said:

kamski said:

I wonder why they chose to put Trump's and McConnell's names into the roditel'niy/genitive case. Looks weird.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,891

Foxy said:

alex_ said:

Indeed. It's in meat factories and clothing factories etc. but these dipsticks don't seem to understand that.

I expect many pubs on Saturday will be like meat factories.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    edited July 2020
    Scott_xP said:

IanB2 said:

https://twitter.com/tribelaw/status/1278499093350879233
    Haven’t we known since 2016 (at least) that Trump gets all his foreign intelligence on what other countries are doing from the leaders of said countries? Be it Russia, North Korea, Saudi Arabia... (perhaps China not so much, perhaps he doesn’t talk to them?)
  • Options

Foxy said:

alex_ said:

Look on the bright side; at least Foxy’s colonoscopy backlog has now been cleared.

Dirty work but somebody has to do it....
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

Foxy said:

alex_ said:

I expect many pubs on Saturday will be like meat factories.
    No, I don't think so.

They're in the public eye, unlike those businesses.

Everywhere I've been that's public takes social distancing and hygiene very seriously.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

"A harbour no more

According to R4 yesterday the offer potentially extends to families.
    It extends to dependents of BNO holders as well, yes.
  • Options
    Guardian: The first details of the controversial Brexit checks Boris Johnson insisted would not apply to trade across the Irish Sea have emerged, with mandatory paperwork for businesses in Great Britain supplying goods to Northern Ireland from January.

An HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) document marked “sensitive”, seen by the Guardian, reveals that firms in Great Britain will be obliged to complete three rounds of customs, security and transit forms on all goods.
This discussion has been closed.