Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Template

Comments

• Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

On PMQs, the PM has had a week to think of a jokey put-down to aim at Starmer. If the best he can come up with is "he's got more briefs than Calvin Klein" then I'm not impressed - rather childish and not easy to see what the point of the joke is. Other than that, the PM clearly doesn't do his reading, and pretends to be outraged that one of the jobs of the opposition leader is to oppose. Especially when what he's opposing is the constant, ludicrous and immodest claims to "world-beating" this and that. If I were a Tory, I'd be a bit worried that we have a lightweight PM who shows not a shred of humility or decency.

I take it Starmer failed to land a glove, yet again?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,137

malcolmg said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

FPT:

The Central London economy (Zone 1) is entirely reliant on office workers and tourists.

Tourism is unlikely to recover in full for some years. Office working will recover, but to a new “norm” - 2 days in / 3 days out seems likely.

We can fully expect and are already witnessing the collapse of the central London service economy - restaurants, cafes, theatres, galleries and indeed retail - and a savage scale back in public transport services, necessitated by inevitable budget crises.

*Some* economic activity will be displaced back to St Albans, Guildford etc, but most of it will migrate online in the form of Amazon and Ocado delivery. Theatres will not start putting productions on in Luton...the “creative pound” will move to Netflix.

The lamps are going out along Oxford Street, we shall not see them lit....for a long time.

The fear is not that economic activity will be displaced to St Albans or to (lightly taxed, mainly American companies) online but that it will disappear completely if no-one will visit London's theatres, galleries or Michelin-starred restaurants.
    If people don't visit London's restaurants or other entertainment they'll still want to eat or have other entertainment so they'll visit restaurants or other entertainment closer to home.

The idea restaurants only exist within London is . . . odd.
    Or London may decline in importance as a tourist/cultural capital. And if you take out London you may reduce the desire of tourists to come to the UK to see Stonehenge or the Angel of the North or Stratford upon Avon.

If you are saying that the UK can do without tourists I would call that "brave".
    Tourists don't come to London because of the restaurants. If you ask an American, or a Frog or an Italian who want to come to London why they want to travel the answer is not going to be "for the food".

Tourists come to London for our history. To see the Palaces etc - and there will always be some restaurants in tourist-popular areas even if they're less frequented by commuters.
    A Frog?

Unlike you.
    Why?

I refer to New Zealanders as Kiwis too. Its more polite than calling them and the Welsh by their other nickname.
    Frog does not come across like Kiwi. It's more akin to Kraut for German.

Just surprised to hear it from you. It sounded "off". To me it did anyway.

No biggie - but I'd have a think and then check back with yourself that you're happy with it.
    Frog and Kraut are just someone being offensive arses.
    Bit old-fashioned, aren't they.
    Something best left in a 1970s ITV sitcom.
  • Options

On PMQs, the PM has had a week to think of a jokey put-down to aim at Starmer. If the best he can come up with is "he's got more briefs than Calvin Klein" then I'm not impressed - rather childish and not easy to see what the point of the joke is. Other than that, the PM clearly doesn't do his reading, and pretends to be outraged that one of the jobs of the opposition leader is to oppose. Especially when what he's opposing is the constant, ludicrous and immodest claims to "world-beating" this and that. If I were a Tory, I'd be a bit worried that we have a lightweight PM who shows not a shred of humility or decency.

Not at all. Although soon to be LD leader Davey drew the most blood!
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,330
    edited July 2020
    NHS England Hospital numbers -

There is a file at

https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2020/07/COVID-19-daily-announced-deaths-15-July-2020.xlsx

I ran it through my processor.

0 for the 14th - as in no reported deaths in hospital.

Hmmmmm
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,590
    Scott_xP said:

Great Calvin Klein joke makes up for it though.

That joke was pants
    The unmentionables truth is that he thinks Y front it out?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

Carnyx said:

Made on the fly, perhaps.

Gratuitous pun aside, the tragedy is that BoZo has presumably been working on it all week, and that really is the best thing he could come up with.
    No, I agree, you are right in reality. Not to mention what else he could be doing with his time.

And in a serious debate on the future of the health of the UK's denizens, too.

In amongst all his more obvious ghastliness, I personally think the most damning criticism of BJ is that he is fundamentally not a serious person.
    Not being a serious person is often not a criticism and can be a compliment.

Just not if you're PM. In a once in a lifetime pandemic.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,293

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

FPT:

The Central London economy (Zone 1) is entirely reliant on office workers and tourists.

Tourism is unlikely to recover in full for some years. Office working will recover, but to a new “norm” - 2 days in / 3 days out seems likely.

We can fully expect and are already witnessing the collapse of the central London service economy - restaurants, cafes, theatres, galleries and indeed retail - and a savage scale back in public transport services, necessitated by inevitable budget crises.

*Some* economic activity will be displaced back to St Albans, Guildford etc, but most of it will migrate online in the form of Amazon and Ocado delivery. Theatres will not start putting productions on in Luton...the “creative pound” will move to Netflix.

The lamps are going out along Oxford Street, we shall not see them lit....for a long time.

The fear is not that economic activity will be displaced to St Albans or to (lightly taxed, mainly American companies) online but that it will disappear completely if no-one will visit London's theatres, galleries or Michelin-starred restaurants.
    If people don't visit London's restaurants or other entertainment they'll still want to eat or have other entertainment so they'll visit restaurants or other entertainment closer to home.

Or London may decline in importance as a tourist/cultural capital. And if you take out London you may reduce the desire of tourists to come to the UK to see Stonehenge or the Angel of the North or Stratford upon Avon.

If you are saying that the UK can do without tourists I would call that "brave".
    Tourists don't come to London because of the restaurants. If you ask an American, or a Frog or an Italian who want to come to London why they want to travel the answer is not going to be "for the food".

Tourists come to London for our history. To see the Palaces etc - and there will always be some restaurants in tourist-popular areas even if they're less frequented by commuters.
    A Frog?

Unlike you.
    Why?

I refer to New Zealanders as Kiwis too. Its more polite than calling them and the Welsh by their other nickname.

No biggie - but I'd have a think and then check back with yourself that you're happy with it.
    I'm happy with Frogs, I'm happy with Kiwis, I'm happy with calling Americans Yankees (and happy to wind up Southern Redneck Americans by calling them that).

It cuts the other way too. I'm happy to be called a Sassenach, a Limey, a Pommie Bastard, or Les Rosbif. My father-in-law refers to me sometimes when he speaks to my wife as "the Sassenach" and I'm OK with that.

If its past the lagershed I'm happy to refer to the Welsh and Kiwis by their other nickname, but since its not past the lagershed and I don't want to offend Mr G I'm not going to do more than hint at that.

I'm not happy with anything (besides tongue-in-cheek things) that are intended to cause genuine offence. Which are mainly those aimed at non-whites. I would never say the P-word or N-word or W-word or similar.
    I seem to recall a football match in Istanbul where the (I think, may be maligning) Liverpool supporters, much provoked (IIRC) by the locals, sang that 'They'd rather be a P.... than a Turk'.
    But intertestingly, they'd rather not a be Cockney (which also scans).

They have some limits after all.
    Slightly odd isn't it. There isn't a Cockney team, as such. West Ham are, or certainly were, too far East, Millwall the wrong side of the River, Arsenal and Spurs North London.
    Leyton Orient?
    Close but you'd need good ears to catch Bow Bells from Brisbane Road. They were originally Clapton Orient, formed by the Orient Tea Company and located at Millfields adjecent to the River Lea which forms the boundary of Clapton/Hackney and Walthamstow/Leyton. That's more conventionlly regarded as Cockney territory but again probably fails the Bow Bells test, even with the wind in the right direction.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,413
    malcolmg said:

Barnesian said:
    Not hard to beat the mumbling bumbling "world class" bozo
    The only shock is how unshocking that news now is. We know the script now;

Starmer will ask some relevant questions.
    Johnson will generally fail to answer them, point out that Starmer is a lawyer and employ an attempted zinger that usually turns out to be a bit a damp squib.

They've been at this since early May. Forget sessions, how many *questions* has Johnson won? Maybe some by asking if Starmer thinks schools are safe. One question on hospital parking last week. Am I missing any?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Mr. Divvie, you quite accidentally missed off Sassenach.

As is proved here, sassenach is a word that the English like to tittilate themselves by believing Scots are forever using it in reference to their southern neighbours. It's the sort of awareness that also thinks jokes about deep fried mars bars, haggises and Mel Gibson are cutting edge, and that Brigadoon is a documentary.
    I can't speak for other Scots but my father-in-law most definitely does use the term. He's from Leith for what its worth.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,663
    Foxy said:

Mr. Divvie, I never asserted that.

That's the thing about arguments. You get to make up your own, but not your opponents.

Mr. Dickson, I haven't heard 'jocks' used in real life at all, unless you count the Jocks and the Geordies (maybe versus? it was a long time ago) in The Dandy.

I have an old patient who calls himself "Jock". It is a nickname he has carried from army life.
    Ditto my late father, in the Royal Navy - 1940s and 1950s. Much as Clarkes were called Nobby and Millers Dusty. No idea if they still do it automatically today.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,022

As is proved here, sassenach is a word that the English like to tittilate themselves by believing Scots are forever using it in reference to their southern neighbours. It's the sort of awareness that also thinks jokes about deep fried mars bars, haggises and Mel Gibson are cutting edge, and that Brigadoon is a documentary.
    My dad used to refer to the English as ‘Sassenachs’, in what was clearly meant to be a derogatory manner, but he was born in the 1920s and had a lot of old-fashioned ideas, clearly out of step with the modern world. I haven’t heard anyone else use the word in decades. Young Scots would think you a bit odd if you used it today.

(He was a Lowlander and strong Unionist.)
    Actually my dad, a Gaelic speaker, is the last person I consciously remember using it, but I think that was due to 'Sasannach 'being literally the Gaelic word for the English.
    He was a Hebridean and sometime SNP supporter, but went a bit Thatcher loving and Tartan Tory latterly :(
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,709
    nova said:

Scott_xP said:
    Great Calvin Klein joke makes up for it though.
    What do people think of the "lawyer" attacks?

Most people don't know much about the way barristers work, so it likely makes little sense. Even if you understand the point, it's a bit of a wishy-washy one, and certainly not something that's worth repeating.

Am I missing something?
    The "More briefs than Calvin Klein" has a good ring. Missed the target nevertheless. Firstly, Starmer's job is to ask questions - the clue's in the PMQs title. Secondly, Starmer's rather clever question was "What would the PM say to those that have lost loved ones to the virus, to ensure lessons have been learnt?" This clearly prepared joke and attack on the LOTO comes across as crass and arrogant.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,182
    edited July 2020

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

FPT:

A Frog?

Unlike you.
    Why?

I'm happy with Frogs, I'm happy with Kiwis, I'm happy with calling Americans Yankees (and happy to wind up Southern Redneck Americans by calling them that).

It cuts the other way too. I'm happy to be called a Sassenach, a Limey, a Pommie Bastard, or Les Rosbif. My father-in-law refers to me sometimes when he speaks to my wife as "the Sassenach" and I'm OK with that.

If its past the lagershed I'm happy to refer to the Welsh and Kiwis by their other nickname, but since its not past the lagershed and I don't want to offend Mr G I'm not going to do more than hint at that.

I'm not happy with anything (besides tongue-in-cheek things) that are intended to cause genuine offence. Which are mainly those aimed at non-whites. I would never say the P-word or N-word or W-word or similar.
    Understood. All OK. I meant it when I said no big deal. But that "Frog" was very jarring in that post. You were writing it before noon and it was part of a very sober and serious conversation with Topping about tourism and London. And then, all of sudden, there it was - Frog.

But you write a lot of posts, tbf, and you can't be word perfect in every one. Bet you would edit it, though, if you could. Can we just say that?

And as a matter of interest. Kiwi vs Frog - my post to Foxy at 12.28 - do you feel the same as me that there's a difference? That Frog is a little more risque than Kiwi?
    No. I see no real difference between Kiwi and Frog and no I wouldn't edit it.

I suppose there's a small technical difference in that the Kiwis refer to themselves as that and its their national bird and on their All Blacks jerseys etc . . . but no as a national nickname I see no difference.
    A "small technical" difference because they like to call themselves that and it's their beloved national bird and it's on the shirts of their beloved flagship sports team.

Indeed - :smile:

We can move on now if you like. I'm certainly happy to.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,956
    edited July 2020
    For those paying attention to Brexit - Nissan's biggest new car launch in 10 years has just been made.

The Ariya which is an electric car will only be made in Japan which means that Nissan are going to recreate their entire electric motor and battery supplier base in Japan.. https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/motoring/nissan-rules-out-producing-new-ariya-ev-at-sunderland-factory/

Worse this model is the long term replacement to the Qashqai which is the biggest selling car made in Sunderland.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,164

I know the lens is exaggerating it, but this quite pant shittingly scary. They're not doing it on mountain bikes at least.

https://twitter.com/AvatarDomy/status/1281676498345299969?s=20

Puts striding edge in the shade don't it!
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,212

I know the lens is exaggerating it, but this quite pant shittingly scary. They're not doing it on mountain bikes at least.

I nearly shat my pants on Crib Goch. I'd definitely need spare keks doing that one!
    The hardest I have done was the Aonach Eagach in Glencoe and it wasn't like that. What cracked me up, however, was that the rocks were scored with crampon marks from lunatics who had done it in the winter.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,426

MaxPB said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53414363

Once again the government proving it is completely useless when it comes to basic data analysis. It shouldn't need a team of scientists from one of the world's top universities to figure this stuff out. A half decent team of data analysts would be able to automate this in no time and get accurate daily readings.

I do sometimes wonder how data literate the top scientific advisors actually are. I would never have gotten on that stage and presented those graphs, I'd have been too embarrassed.

What is this article actually saying?

Imperial College research showed there were, on average, 13 positive cases for every 10,000 people.

This means the R number was lower than thought at 0.57, the study suggests.

But this does not take into account infections in care homes and hospitals at the time.

Calculated using this information, the national overall reproduction number - or R - was estimated to be between 0.7 and 1 during May.

So, is it saying that the number actually was higher than 0.57 because the study doesn't take into account infections in care homes and hospitals? That's not what the rest of the article- or other reporting on this- seems to imply.

The study itself (it's a preprint) is available at
    https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.07.10.20150524v1.full.pdf

But I'm not clear on exactly how they got these numbers. It looks like they tried to get a representative population and then just used the overall numbers for the population over time to calculate R. But what I'm not sure of:

a) Did the "representative population" take account of key worker status? That's mentioned as a covariate, but isn't shown in Table 2.
    b) They only contacted a representative population- once they got responses, they didn't try to adjust those to remain representative. So if the contacted population was representative by key worker status, was the population that responded representative too? Were there any other demographic characteristics that ended up being unrepresentative?
    c) Once you break down population by day of test, were they still representative? If not, was this somehow included in their error range on R?
    Thanks for the link - as I noted earlier, I hadn't seen the actual study.

Re (a) it's a large sample so 'representative' should also be fairly representative of key worker status (I doubt key worker status itself was included, but if the sample is nationally representative then it should include, within sampling error, a nationally representative proportion of key workers)
    Re (b) more of an issue. You can imagine that key worker status would influence likelihood of response, but that can be handled. More of a problem is that people who think they might have it are probably more likely to do the test (so the response may be biased in that way).
    Re (c) should average out in the sample, unless you believe that there would be systematic variation in day of test by relevant characteristics (the one thing I can think of here is that workers, particularly those still going out to work such as most key workers, may delay doing the test until say the next weekend)

The approach they've taken does rely on a representative sample (at least in as much as it should not be biased in number/timing of positives beyond what can be explained with the collected characteristics) so some uncertainties for sure. Also, as is the problem with many of these studies, a fairly low number of positives, so the precision is limited. Apologies to @MaxPB - this is something I could imagine a government team of data analysts could reasonably take on, mostly it's pretty standard modelling techniques. Some assumptions made and tweaking those assumptions might give different answers.

Offtopic, my mother in law was approached by the REACT study for an anitbody test (the ones detailed here are antigen). She took it and was negative, as expected. Long survey to complete too, which wasn't very well thought out - as she was retired some questions could be answered in different ways, you can imagine two identical people giving inconsistent answers. Consenting for followup studies was also very poor (poorly explained implications, I doubt they'll get many people consenting, which is a shame for them and a missed opportunity).
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,854
    Carnyx said:

My dad used to refer to the English as ‘Sassenachs’, in what was clearly meant to be a derogatory manner, but he was born in the 1920s and had a lot of old-fashioned ideas, clearly out of step with the modern world. I haven’t heard anyone else use the word in decades. Young Scots would think you a bit odd if you used it today.

(He was a Lowlander and strong Unionist.)
    In any case, as you and my fellow Scots on PB know full well, but others may not, Sasunnach [edit@ the primary Gaelic form of the term] simply means Saxon in the context of non-Gaelic speaker, so Scots or English (Or both!) speaker, = Lowlander Scot. I think that has become more widely known in recent years, perhaps explaining the change of usage you mention.

'Southron' is a commoner term - but simply geographically descriptive and quite short.
    Exactly it was more commonly used for Lowland Scots than English
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,477
    edited July 2020

Pulpstar said:
    I'm sure the BBC would never be guilty of metropolitan sneering.
    Realistically spot the odd one out

LA, Paris, Tokyo, Rio, London, Beijing, Athens, Sydney, Barcelona, Seoul, Moscow, Birmingham.

LA.

Edit: No. Sorry I can't spot an odd one out in that list.
    A more interesting list is the cities that actually bid in 1992.

Amsterdam
    Barcelona
    Belgrade
    Birmingham
    Brisbane
    Paris

I wouldn't put Brum at the bottom of the list for attractiveness.
  • Options
    edited July 2020

I like the painted waymarker. As though there was any other feasible direction to go....
  • Options

malcolmg said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

FPT:

A Frog?

Unlike you.
    Why?

Yes , well past their sell by date.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

FPT:

A Frog?

Unlike you.
    Why?

Understood. All OK. I meant it when I said no big deal. But that "Frog" was very jarring in that post. You were writing it before noon and it was part of a very sober and serious conversation with Topping about tourism and London. And then, all of sudden, there it was - Frog.

But you write a lot of posts, tbf, and you can't be word perfect in every one. Bet you would edit it, though, if you could. Can we just say that?

And as a matter of interest. Kiwi vs Frog - my post to Foxy at 12.28 - do you feel the same as me that there's a difference? That Frog is a little more risque than Kiwi?

I suppose there's a small technical difference in that the Kiwis refer to themselves as that and its their national bird and on their All Blacks jerseys etc . . . but no as a national nickname I see no difference.
    A "small technical" difference because they like to call themselves that and it's their beloved national bird and it's on the shirts of their beloved flagship sports team.

Actually I made a rare mistake and must hold my hands up, Foxy was right to pick me up on that. Its the silver fern on their shirts not the Kiwi.

Frogs legs in garlic is a delicious French cuisine, I'd recommend it to anyone who hasn't tried it yet.
  • Options

wrong yet again, best Bozo could come up with was a sad joke about Starmer's underpants
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Mr. Divvie, I never asserted that.

That's the thing about arguments. You get to make up your own, but not your opponents.

Mr. Dickson, I haven't heard 'jocks' used in real life at all, unless you count the Jocks and the Geordies (maybe versus? it was a long time ago) in The Dandy.

I have an old patient who calls himself "Jock". It is a nickname he has carried from army life.
    Ditto my late father, in the Royal Navy - 1940s and 1950s. Much as Clarkes were called Nobby and Millers Dusty. No idea if they still do it automatically today.
    I'm not a big fan of this sort of thing tbh but in the spirit of reportage -

Chaplins get called "Charlie" sometimes.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

FPT:

A Frog?

Unlike you.
    Why?

Yes , well past their sell by date.
    Really? You have a more modern, more fashionable nickname for the French?

I mean for a while I liked the phrase "cheese eating surrender monkeys" from Groundskeeper Willie . . . but that's a bit dated now while Frogs is timeless.
  • Options
    FPT: Slightly-late to the party.

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

The London comments are interesting. I spent 3 years working in Kings Cross from mid-1999 onwards. First 6 months I lived in a hovel in Kings Cross itself. Could walk to a supermarket (Safeway!) and big department stores, but when your "local" shops are on Oxford Street and you need to navigate the tourists you do it as little as possible.

For the rest of the time I lived on the Edmonton / Enfield border. Edmonton was just a place I caught public transport (hated it otherwise). Enfield a nice enough little town. When I was in the office I might go out in London - I wouldn't haul myself in from Zone 4 otherwise. There must be a LOT of people in outer zones who work in Zone 1 who like me don't normally head into town for the hell of it. I assume that is why its is so dead - no tourists, no workers. Haven't been into the centre of ANY big city since this started so no idea if that is just a London problem or not, but I can understand why people don't want to go there. I didn't.

I used to go to the City quite frequently at weekends. It’s always been a ghost town.
    Not any more, well at least pre-lockdown. It's a thriving market space now at weekends. The most striking thing to go to the City at weekends is the colour. Weekdays everyone is in blue, black, grey. At the weekends it is like carnival in comparison.
    End of last year I was driving through the City to visit the Tower most weekends. Definitely not much going on there...

I think this is too pessimistic. London is not a pure tourist / office economy though agree much of the fluffier stuff is - approximately 3.5 million people live in Inner London. That is approx the population of Berlin. House prices and rentals may shift, but they won't be vanishing in the couple of years it may take to get a vaccine.

Public transport services could correctly be scaled to meet demand; personally I think TFL is still so bloated that it could be slimmed considerably with little loss of service. If there is going to be a significant shift to active travel - cycling has doubled in London but another six-fold increase would still be to well under 20% - then public transport will have a crisis anyway.

Presumably the two theatres that already exist in Luton (capacity approx 1000 and approx 500 aiui) will continue to put on performances.

Theatreland is interesting. If I remember my youth, much of it has been dark for long periods and come back, or run as private clubs when we had censorship last time around.

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,590

Yes, Davey managed to get this commitment. He seems to have a similar technique to Starmer, in steering government policy by exploiting Johnsons willingness to give off the cuff commitments at PMQs. It is a quite effective technique for a tag team.

https://twitter.com/EdwardJDavey/status/1283364897364094976?s=09
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,844
    eek said:

For those paying attention to Brexit - Nissan's biggest new car launch in 10 years has just been made.

The Ariya which is an electric car will only be made in Japan which means that Nissan are going to recreate their entire electric motor and battery supplier base in Japan.. https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/motoring/nissan-rules-out-producing-new-ariya-ev-at-sunderland-factory/

Worse this model is the long term replacement to the Qashqai which is the biggest selling car made in Sunderland.

and without brexit they would still be making it in Japan because the eu axed import tariffs on cars made in Japan.
  • Options
    Gut feel, Kamala Harris is a lay. The VPs job is to enhance the presidential candidate,not upstage them. I wouldn't trust Harris to remember that and I suspect Biden doesn't trust her to remember that either. Also the VP rarely makes any difference to actual result, in which case Biden may as well choose someone he gets on with. They will spend a lot of time in each other's company. Not sure about the Biden/Harris chemistry.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    This looks like very good news on T Cells and COVID.
    https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.06.29.174888v1
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    F1: the absence of an each way option on the winner without the big 6 market makes it distinctly less appealing. Hope that changes later.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

FPT:

A Frog?

Unlike you.
    Why?

Actually I made a rare mistake and must hold my hands up, Foxy was right to pick me up on that. Its the silver fern on their shirts not the Kiwi.

Frogs legs in garlic is a delicious French cuisine, I'd recommend it to anyone who hasn't tried it yet.
    Best enjoyed outside at the Fer a Cheval in Verbier.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

More evidence that to suggest that Biden will pick the VP he wants to work with.

Majority of voters say Biden's VP won't factor in 2020 vote
    https://www.politico.com/news/2020/07/15/joe-biden-vice-president-pick-poll-362900

Who do you think he'll go for, Nigel?

And while I have you - the vaccine - are you still confident on 1st half of next year for a mass UK rollout?
    My money is on Harris, but other options (as Mike suggests) are entirely plausible.

As far as a vaccine is concerned, Charles is the expert.
    I am reasonably optimistic we'll have at least one workable vaccine before the year end, so large scale vaccination in the first half of next year (and localised vaccination programs this year) are a reasonable possibility.
    I wouldn't bet my life or business on that, though (though in effect, many of us are doing the latter).
    Right, thanks. I think Harris too - but I'd be happy with most of the alternatives.

I will check with Charles on the vax then when I next see him.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,551
    "Priti Patel says 50,000 people per day are coming into the UK from abroad - but cannot give an estimate for how many might have coronavirus"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8525647/Priti-Patel-says-50-000-people-day-coming-UK-abroad.html
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Yes, Davey managed to get this commitment. He seems to have a similar technique to Starmer, in steering government policy by exploiting Johnsons willingness to give off the cuff commitments at PMQs. It is a quite effective technique for a tag team.

Johnson promised an inquiry into Islamaphobia - never happened; he still hasn't released the Russia report. I wouldn't hold our breaths on a CV19 inquiry delivering anything, or even taking place, while Johnson is around.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,956
    edited July 2020
    Pagan2 said:

eek said:

and without brexit they would still be making it in Japan because the eu axed import tariffs on cars made in Japan.
    I'm not arguing otherwise, my point is that I suspect Sunderland is not going to be around in a few years time and Brexit and the Tories will cop the blame...
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,985
    kjh said:

What are people's views on Tammy Duckworth?

I don't have a lot of knowledge on the candidates but she seems to have a CV that will attract some Trump voters if patriotism is played up (which it looks like it will with some of the attack ads from disaffected Republicans).

I remember the day she got shot down near Balad AB very well as we (the 'Borrowers' in the British forces) were blown away by the scale and speed of the USAF casevac effort. They had a C-9 in the air from Bahrain and multiple HH-60s securing the site about 5 minutes after the Blackhawk went in. They had her in surgery at LRMC in Germany that night. I don't know she survived because the RPG blast ripped both her legs off.
  • Options

Mr. Divvie, sorry, I forgot that you knew precisely how often and what terms Englishmen use to deride others from different parts of the UK but that the reverse never ever happens and is indeed fictional.

"The English are mean and nationalist because they use these terms. How dare you suggest Scotsmen ever use derisive terms about the English? Typical Englishman..."

Which part of the world recently had a nationalist on the border hurling abuse at travellers from down the road?

Pretending the English are uniquely derisive or nationalistic is as unwittingly ironic as the name of the Women and Equalities Select Committee.

Uniquely? Certainly not. I would more go with "doggedly".
  • Options
    NHS Hospital data out

Headline - 22
    7 days - 16 - quite a bit of backdating
    Yesterday - 0

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Foxy said:

Is there any doubt at all that there will be one? It's just a question of time.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,708
    Andy_JS said:

"Priti Patel says 50,000 people per day are coming into the UK from abroad - but cannot give an estimate for how many might have coronavirus"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8525647/Priti-Patel-says-50-000-people-day-coming-UK-abroad.html

I can give an estimate if youd like one.

1 in 3000 in the UK have covid
    Most people arriving are from countries with lower incidence than here

So 0-17 is the range. Ill go for 5 per day.
  • Options
    NHS England Hospital numbers - last 10 days

• Options
    RobD said:

Foxy said:

Indicative of a lack of professionalism in the Government operation, though, that the actual commitment was extracted by the acting Lib Dem leader.

It's absolutely basic for any media operation that YOU are the one seen as making the rain, not THEM. If an inquiry is inevitable, you announce it on your own terms and publicly congratulate yourself on being transparent and forward thinking.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,708
    RobD said:

Foxy said:

BJ exit date + 1 year?
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

eek said:

NB The EU/Japan FTA was agreed after the UK left and without reference to UK interests. I don't know if the UK would have blocked free imports of Japanese cars if was still a member. Presumably it would trade a better relationship with a strategic partner off against protection of local production. The important thing is that would have been able to make a choice in its own interest, and that choice would influence the outcome. With Brexit the UK has lost that influence over things that matter to it.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,883

BJ exit date + 1 year?

Dom doesn't want it, BoZo won't call it.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    FF43 said:

Foxy said:

Johnson promised an inquiry into Islamaphobia - never happened; he still hasn't released the Russia report. I wouldn't hold our breaths on a CV19 inquiry delivering anything, or even taking place, while Johnson is around.
    A proper CV inquiry would take years. Maybe decades.
  • Options
    The genuinely shocking news for today, turns out Rishi is a little fishy therefore only a little dishy.

https://twitter.com/mlothianmclean/status/1283330330145980416?s=20
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    Just realised that Manchester City called upon the services of Lord Pannick in their case against UEFA.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    Andy_JS said:
    I, on the other hand, have found it totally nauseating. Really, the worst of the world distilled into 140 characters.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:
    I like the "virus aside" bit. Smacks of, "But apart from that, Mrs Lincoln, how was the play?"
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    FF43 said:

Pagan2 said:

eek said:

NB The EU/Japan FTA was agreed after the UK left and without reference to UK interests. I don't know if the UK would have blocked free imports of Japanese cars if was still a member. Presumably it would trade a better relationship with a strategic partner off against protection of local production. The important thing is that would have been able to make a choice in its own interest, and that choice would influence the outcome. With Brexit the UK has lost that influence over things that matter to it.
    Didn't negotiations start well before Brexit? As we are always reminded, these things aren't signed in a day.
  • Options

RobD said:

Foxy said:

BJ exit date + 1 year?
    That's the reporting date...!
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited July 2020

The genuinely shocking news for today, turns out Rishi is a little fishy therefore only a little dishy.

Prejudice against shorter men is one of the last acceptable ones. Most men of average height and above like it, because it makes them feel better, and most ( though definitely not all ) women tend to find taller men more attractive, so the majority will be quite happy for it to continue unless challenged.
  • Options
    RobD said:

FF43 said:

Pagan2 said:

eek said:

Didn't negotiations start well before Brexit? As we are always reminded, these things aren't signed in a day.
    Negotiations were stalled. The agreement was made after Brexit. Actually the Trump election concentrated minds.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,844
    RobD said:

FF43 said:

Pagan2 said:

eek said:

Typical remainer response, wants to have their cake and eat it...nods
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,985

1.7m/61kg apparently. He's an elf.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Andy_JS said:
    Phew, at last we can dispense with the notion that Goodwin is some kind of nonpartisan academic, humbly beavering away in the mines of objectivity to provide us with information. The battlefields of the culture war are somewhat crowded with whiny right wingers and their hot takes though, he needs a USP.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100
    Dura_Ace said:

Getting by without Bercow's Little Man Syndrome though....
  • Options
    Churchill was about the same height.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,256
    Dura_Ace said:

But I thought elves were supposed to be tall?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,256

Churchill was about the same height.

And width
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I'd like to point out that Owen Jones has been through approximately 10,000x as much shit as Bari Weiss, including being physically assaulted, and doesn't think it's "impossible to do his job"

And no one gives him credit for "surviving cancel culture"

— Arthur Chu (@arthur_affect) July 15, 2020
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347
    Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Have you read it ?
    From the Acadamy of Medical Scientists web page:

"Professor Stephen Holgate FMedSci, a respiratory specialist from University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust, who chaired the report, said: “This is not a prediction, but it is a possibility. The modelling suggests that deaths could be higher with a new wave of COVID-19 this winter, but the risk of this happening could be reduced if we take action immediately.”

“With relatively low numbers of COVID-19 cases at the moment, this is a critical window of opportunity to help us prepare for the worst that winter can throw at us.”

An advisory group of 37 experts were rapidly assembled to create the report following a request by the Government’s Chief Scientific Advisor. The report was guided by a patient and carer reference group that provided information and advice on the key issues for those who would be most affected by a bad winter."

It does seem odd for a government to commission a report of "nonsense".

I note the 120 000 second wave deaths has Confidence Intervals of 25 000-250 000, and is only hospital deaths, not community and nursing homes. It is based on an r value sticking at 1.7. The whole point is to forecast what happens without planning to mitigate.

https://acmedsci.ac.uk/more/news/prepare-now-for-a-winter-covid-19-peak-warns-academy-of-medical-sciences
    So what are the chances of us not planning to mitigate?
    Thats why its nonsense, its produced a prediction on something that will never happen.
    Its like producing a report stating that if you don't look before you cross the road the chances of you dying are higher than if you do look.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,190
    On a bad day, the song of the Rona for so many of us in our hamster cages

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeFwaWFTGYU
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100
    Foxy said:

Independent judge-led inquiry? Surely, wrong Ed?
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,940

Famously on here, many of those who clutched their pearls at the phrase Little Englander were perfectly happy to call French people Frogs.

Funny old world.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Have you read it ?

"Professor Stephen Holgate FMedSci, a respiratory specialist from University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust, who chaired the report, said: “This is not a prediction, but it is a possibility. The modelling suggests that deaths could be higher with a new wave of COVID-19 this winter, but the risk of this happening could be reduced if we take action immediately.”

“With relatively low numbers of COVID-19 cases at the moment, this is a critical window of opportunity to help us prepare for the worst that winter can throw at us.”

An advisory group of 37 experts were rapidly assembled to create the report following a request by the Government’s Chief Scientific Advisor. The report was guided by a patient and carer reference group that provided information and advice on the key issues for those who would be most affected by a bad winter."

I note the 120 000 second wave deaths has Confidence Intervals of 25 000-250 000, and is only hospital deaths, not community and nursing homes. It is based on an r value sticking at 1.7. The whole point is to forecast what happens without planning to mitigate.

https://acmedsci.ac.uk/more/news/prepare-now-for-a-winter-covid-19-peak-warns-academy-of-medical-sciences
    Thats why its nonsense, its produced a prediction on something that will never happen.
    Its like producing a report stating that if you don't look before you cross the road the chances of you dying are higher than if you do look.
    More like - if you step off Tower Bridge in the middle, you are going get very wet.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952
    edited July 2020

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

FPT:

A Frog?

Unlike you.
    Why?

Kiwi on the Rugby League shirt. Their nickname too.
    An understandable mistake as I recall you hail from Warrington?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

Famously on here, many of those who clutched their pearls at the phrase Little Englander were perfectly happy to call French people Frogs.

Funny old world.

Not sure what your point is there. 'Frog' is a harmless informal word for any French person. 'Little Englander' is not a word denoting a person's nationality but a word describing specifically a narrow-minded English person, with the emphasis on the narrow-minded. There is no equivalence between them.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046

Andy_JS said:
    Phew, at last we can dispense with the notion that Goodwin is some kind of nonpartisan academic, humbly beavering away in the mines of objectivity to provide us with information. The battlefields of the culture war are somewhat crowded with whiny right wingers and their hot takes though, he needs a USP.
    What about his tweet is a)Whiny b)Right Wing?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,261
    IanB2 said:

Dura_Ace said:

But I thought elves were supposed to be tall?
    Not when they help Santa.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,096
    Scott_xP said:
    Johnson has a long history of tone-deaf "jokes" that are either at the expense of others or indifferent to their suffering. That part of our soul that most of us devote to our thoughts of others in him is a gaping hole that he fills with his own ego.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,883
    https://twitter.com/SunPolitics/status/1283397223569653761

This of course is BoZo acknowledging that the public are listening to Starmer...
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    I’m a Kiwi.
    We Kiwis call ourselves Kiwis.
    Personally I find it slightly kitsch, but not at all offensive.

Frogs is clearly derogatory.

Philip Thomson is a very effective troll.
    One presumes he is on furlough given the amount of time he spends toxifying the PB threads.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Scott_xP said:
    Johnson has a long history of tone-deaf "jokes" that are either at the expense of others or indifferent to their suffering. That part of our soul that most of us devote to our thoughts of others in him is a gaping hole that he fills with his own ego.
    It's funny when his critics don't get that the 'jokes' aren't aimed at them. They just plough on regardless giving it even more publicity.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,617
    Dura_Ace said:

kjh said:

I don't have a lot of knowledge on the candidates but she seems to have a CV that will attract some Trump voters if patriotism is played up (which it looks like it will with some of the attack ads from disaffected Republicans).

I remember the day she got shot down near Balad AB very well as we (the 'Borrowers' in the British forces) were blown away by the scale and speed of the USAF casevac effort. They had a C-9 in the air from Bahrain and multiple HH-60s securing the site about 5 minutes after the Blackhawk went in. They had her in surgery at LRMC in Germany that night. I don't know she survived because the RPG blast ripped both her legs off.
    Amongst other things Tucker Carlson called her a coward. Mind boggling. Bit like Trump on McCain.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    As an aside, it is notable that hardly anyone on here attempts to refute the economic case against Brexit anymore.

Nor can anyone summon the chutzpah to suggest that the German automakers are going to ride to our rescue to enable “the easiest trade deal in history”.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

FPT:

A Frog?

Unlike you.
    Why?

I wonder what name the French Rugby League team go by?

If it's "The Frogs" I will go back and delete all my posts on this thread.
  • Options
    Was surprised to see the PM is only 5 foot 9. He always gives the impression of being a big, strapping bloke.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,502

Andy_JS said:
    I like the "virus aside" bit. Smacks of, "But apart from that, Mrs Lincoln, how was the play?"
    Why let a little thing like a pandemic get in the way of a good Twitter spat ?
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    edited July 2020
    Dura_Ace said:

kjh said:

Trump to say he prefers the ones who don't get shot down?

Military record though doesn't seem to bring electoral success in the US Presidency, arguably since Reagan the less distinguished military record has won each time.
  • Options

NHS Hospital data out

Headline - 22
    7 days - 16 - quite a bit of backdating
    Yesterday - 0

Wouldn't it make more sense to use a moving average that corresponds with the centre of the period in question rather than its end, so that the average doesn't trail behind the actual values? Obviously you wouldn't have a value for the last 3 days, but that's a pretty moot point, given that the most recent days are subject to revision in any case.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    kinabalu said:

dixiedean said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

FPT:

A Frog?

Unlike you.
    Why?

kinabalu said:

dixiedean said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

FPT:

A Frog?

Unlike you.
    Why?

Les Chanticleers.
    So cocks. Or chickens...
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

As an aside, it is notable that hardly anyone on here attempts to refute the economic case against Brexit anymore.

Yes, the line has changed from 'it will all be great' to 'yes, it will be bad, but not as bad as the worst peacetime economic catastrophe in history', which to be fair is a great leap forward in realism.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:
    What about his tweet is a)Whiny b)Right Wing?
    I'll accept 'Virus aside' isn't whiny.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Was surprised to see the PM is only 5 foot 9. He always gives the impression of being a big, strapping bloke.

Muscular even..
  • Options

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Have you read it ?

So you haven't read the report.
    Which is not about 'a prediction', but a detailed survey of the measures which will be required this winter absent a vaccine.

They even go into the need for separating out Covid hospital provision from non-Covid, to prevent the empty wards you've been complaining about regularly.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    kinabalu said:

kjh said:

kinabalu said:

A Wealth Tax is an exciting prospect. But will a Conservative government really do that? One for the 'believe it when I see it' basket.

Just like my argument on CGT on residential properties it does seem to be a very anti Conservative thing to do, so would be a bold move.

I also think a wealth tax would be difficult to implement.
    There is a need to tap into wealth - of which there is oodles - if we are to maintain the sort of public realm we have become used to.

Your CGT on homes makes sense imo but it has next to no chance of happening because of the way we view home ownership here. There's a strong intellectual and moral case for it though.
    I'm not really sure about that.

They used to think that mortgage tax relief was untouchable for political reasons. Then it went.

Main dwellings are treated as an investment - used for raising finance, saving for retirement, supporting children etc. As such there is not much reason to keep the unearned gains tax free.

Consider that one George Osborne has just trousered £3.1m of gains for which he has not done an hour's work. Is it really unacceptable that that should only be say £2.5m of unearned gains after tax rather than £3.1m?

I think the strategic clincher is that the £25-30bn of lost tax due to the allowance is overwhelmingly handed to the wealthier people in the wealthier areas of the country.

How will that play in the Red Wall when pointed out, and perhaps combined with a more generous CGT Allowance or reintroduction of indexation?

Personally I would abolish it at a stroke, but perhaps an initial cut followed by death on the vine is an alternative.
  • Options

I’m a Kiwi.
    We Kiwis call ourselves Kiwis.
    Personally I find it slightly kitsch, but not at all offensive.

Frogs is clearly derogatory.

Philip Thomson is a very effective troll.
    One presumes he is on furlough given the amount of time he spends toxifying the PB threads.

Bang.

Although I don't find Philip a troll. There is occasionally lead in his pencil.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

More of a Rundlet than a Butt...

• Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,885

Puts striding edge in the shade don't it!
    Very wide angle lens. I wouldn't run along it but it's no worse than some of the Cuillin. The part you see in that video, at least.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Davey started off with his underwhelming tone, and Johnson, like me must have thought, oh here we go again, same old nonsense from Davey. Then almost before Davey had finished, Johnson had conceded an independent enquiry. I am not sure who was most surprised by the reply Davey or Johnson.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,413
    felix said:

Scott_xP said:
    It's funny when his critics don't get that the 'jokes' aren't aimed at them. They just plough on regardless giving it even more publicity.
    That's probably the theory (Though does the zinger zing on its own terms? It's a bit jargony. Do they want to imply that Starmer is well-briefed?). But the main thing is the sequence of question and answer;

Q: What can you say to bereaved families?
    A: It's terribly sad. BUT NOW LAUGH AT MY PRE-PREPARED ZINGER!

With a majority of 80, it doesn't matter, of course. But the Prime Minister is remarkably terrible at this.
  • Options
    LadyGLadyG Posts: 2,221

Foxy said:

Davey started off with his underwhelming tone, and Johnson, like me must have thought, oh here we go again, same old nonsense from Davey. Then almost before Davey had finished, Johnson had conceded an independent enquiry. I am not sure who was most surprised by the reply Davey or Johnson.
    There was bound to be an independent inquiry into corona. It's killed 60,000 people and trashed the economy. The idea that there WOULDN'T be an inquiry is the outlier.
  • Options
    LadyG said:

Foxy said:

There was bound to be an independent inquiry into corona. It's killed 60,000 people and trashed the economy. The idea that there WOULDN'T be an inquiry is the outlier.
    Yeah. It's quite something to claim it was a concession.
This discussion has been closed.