Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The debate: The post mortem continues

SystemSystem Posts: 11,007
edited April 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The debate: The post mortem continues

One of the things I keep on getting asked is whether betting markets are good pointer to political outcomes. Well last night we might have had an answer.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    First.

Nothing said about Britain and the rest of the world - nothing on Iran or Russia for example.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    FPT:

TGOHF said:
    Fair enough really. Nigel should be kicking himself today; he really let himself and the party down.

Even if he'd wanted to make that point he could have taken a different slant on it. There are some issues that don't go away just because they're inconvenient or don't fit a particular worldview ("it's a fact, it's a fact, it's a fact", although I think that was a rather weak way of putting it).

Being nice to migrants makes us all feel fluffy and good and multicultural and compassionate or whatever, but if we really wanted to treat every sufferer as a human being, then we'd be sending out the RAF (or Scottish Air Force) to ferry all the diseased people to the UK so the NHS can save them.

Instead, we have a system where we are quite happy to treat your ailment, but only if you are brave and resourceful - and, ultimately, lucky - enough to give tens of thousands of dollars to untrustworthy organised criminals, to take the risks (and perhaps subject your partner and even your children to these perils too) of leaky hulls and suffocating lorries, and somehow survive it. Jump through those hoops for us, then we will give you your meds (or whatever it is you've come to these shores for) and celebrate how humane that makes us.

Thousands of bodies are washing up on the Mediterranean, and we are having a mutual anti-Kipper wankfest over how "compassionate" we all are.

It's a self-consistent and rationally arguable policy to open the gates: "give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free". I might even vote for it, though I suspect the majority of Brits would not feel so tempted. There is also a case that our entry policy should be made rather less inviting and rather more discerning. In the meantime, the wretched refuse teems homeless and tempest-tost along Europe's golden door.

The hypocrisy of our "morally comfortable" policy of being "firm but fair" on migration controls, is that while we may be blind to its consequences, under such a policy the optimum number of migrant deaths is greater than zero.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    JackW said:

TGOHF said:
    Fair enough really. Nigel should be kicking himself today; he really let himself and the party down.

Agree the HIV comment was horrible, I was repulsed with that argument, but it is true he did well later.
    But doing well later was inevitable. Nigel is the best speaker and debater out of that bunch by a country mile. It's like someone doing an exam with no revision but scraping a 'B' because they're bright and they write well. They should have got an A+. And that's Nigel. Not a single person who likes UKIP but doesn't say so at work for fear of the reaction will have a shred more confidence to do so now than they did yesterday, which is a terrible shame.

I thought Farage missed a significant opportunity last night.

The smart play was to whistle gently to the base whilst reaching out to potential switchers. Instead he opted to whistle squarci throughout the debate as if his base needed shoring up which it didn't.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901
    Political betting markets are very weak relative to most sports... It doesn't take much money at all to move them, and a marked account moves then in tiny amounts, so I'd agree they aren't as good an indicator as people sometimes like to think
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited April 2015
    Farage did little to win my vote last night, but the calls of do-gooders and right-thinkers that his voice should not be heard, that UKIP's opinions are not acceptable for debate, that the issues they raise (many of which resontate with the British public) do not need to be addressed, is something I find troubling.

I have the suspicion he was deliberately attempting to invoke such a backlash against him - I agree in principle with JackW that a subtler approach might have been advantageous, but he may have felt he could benefit from provoking a reaction that showed the left-wingers at their out-of-touch worst, and the Tories not prepared to engage with "the facts".
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,001
    FPT Matthew Wall of Swansea University has a research paper suggesting that two UK seats were won at odds between 10/1 and 20/1 on Betfair. I don't think there was an answer, but without any memories of the markets at all, I would speculate they were Redcar plus one, perhaps Belfast East or Montgomery. (Twelve candidates won at between 5/1 and 10/1.)
  • Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    It will be a crappy choice, but....

I am tempted to vote Tory (again) in my Befordshire seat come May. I want to vote UKIP but am apart from illiberal parties (c.f. ScotsNaz, Pissed-Currie [sp?] and the Dhimmies). Stupid folk appear to get wrapped-up with politics as a career: Maybe we need a clear-out...?

My position is clear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DohRa9lsx0Q

All else is....

:tumbleweed:
  • Options
    PurseybearPurseybear Posts: 766
    edited April 2015
    Problem with this thread is that the political debate was far more uncertain than voting. For a start there are all manner of historic precedents for 7th May 2015 whereas this 7-way debate was the first ever. There's also a big difference between winning a debate and who people will support in a vote. We need to wait for the shakedown on this.

Do I think the markets are right to favour the tories? Yes. Do I think they're over baked? Yes.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    EPG said:

See? Kips are easily offended. Essentially, any attempt to analyse their leader's public statements offends them. Oh, it's demeaning. Oh, it's a form of superiority/supremacism. How dare we try to find a racial subtext to the Farage bandwagon, he's just linking AIDS to migrants, nothing more than that. But when other people get offended, it's all about free speech, bravely saying the unsayable, shattering the metropolitan elite consensus.

Indeed, migrant, migrant being people that as yet haven't contributed to the country, and so should not be able to impose a great cost on the country in front of people already living there and contribute, irrespective of the race of the immigrant, or the race of the person already contributing. Trying to paint this as a race issue is tendentious bollocks, its a who contributes and who pays issue.

Australia: HIV testing for permanent visa applicants over the age of 15 is required. Immigration only permitted if it wont impose significant cost on the country, wont unduly expose Australian citizens and will not prejudice citizens access to healthcare.

Canada: All foreigners intending to stay in Canada for more than 6 months have to get tested for HIV. With the exception of refugees, spouses and dependants, HIV sufferers will not be granted a stay over six months

Its not like what Farage was talking about isn't current the case in two of the most liberal countries in the world.

Hungary an EU country requires appropriate health insurance for any immigrant with an infectious disease.
  • Options

Farage did little to win my vote last night, but the calls of do-gooders and right-thinkers that his voice should not be heard, that UKIP's opinions are not acceptable for debate, that the issues they raise (many of which resontate with the British public) do not need to be addressed, is something I find troubling.

I have the suspicion he was deliberately attempting to invoke such a backlash against him - I agree in principle with JackW that a subtler approach might have been advantageous, but he may have felt he could benefit from provoking a reaction that showed the left-wingers at their out-of-touch worst, and the Tories not prepared to engage with "the facts".

If one believes that associating immigration with HIV appeals to racist tropes, how should one express that feeling?
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    I agree with those who argue that EM would benefit from the anti-Austerity message put forward by Nicola Sturgeon. The trouble is ,though, that 95% of the electorate are pretty well illiterate when it comes to macroeconomics and see the economy in pure accountancy terms. Last night would have been far too late to begin promoting this mssage but it s such a missed opportunit that Labour has over the past few years failed to draw on history to make the anti-austerity case. In particular when Harold Macmillan informed the nation in his speech at Bedford in the late 1950s that ‘we have never had it so good’ the Debt to GDP ratio was 105%. He saw no need to pursue a policy of austerity – on the contrary it had been phased out half a decade earlier when the Debt/GDP figure was well over 200%.Why then do we
  • Options
    They may also bet to hedge against an outcome they do not want- from that prespective backing Miliband to be Prime Minister after the election makes sense if you anticpate paying more tax as a consequence.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

EPG said:

See? Kips are easily offended. Essentially, any attempt to analyse their leader's public statements offends them. Oh, it's demeaning. Oh, it's a form of superiority/supremacism. How dare we try to find a racial subtext to the Farage bandwagon, he's just linking AIDS to migrants, nothing more than that. But when other people get offended, it's all about free speech, bravely saying the unsayable, shattering the metropolitan elite consensus.

Indeed, migrant, migrant being people that as yet haven't contributed to the country, and so should not be able to impose a great cost on the country in front of people already living there and contribute, irrespective of the race of the immigrant, or the race of the person already contributing. Trying to paint this as a race issue is tendentious bollocks, its a who contributes and who pays issue.

Australia: HIV testing for permanent visa applicants over the age of 15 is required. Immigration only permitted if it wont impose significant cost on the country, wont unduly expose Australian citizens and will not prejudice citizens access to healthcare.

Canada: All foreigners intending to stay in Canada for more than 6 months have to get tested for HIV. With the exception of refugees, spouses and dependants, HIV sufferers will not be granted a stay over six months

Its not like what Farage was talking about isn't current the case in two of the most liberal countries in the world.

Hungary an EU country requires appropriate health insurance for any immigrant with an infectious disease.
    Non nobis, domine, non nobis. Look at the many Ukip supporters on here who disagree that associating HIV with immigrants is publicly acceptable, inoffensive, speaking one's mind, normal political debate, racially neutral as to whether the immigrants are black Africans or white New Zealanders. Why do they think that, I wonder?
  • Options
    EPG said:

If one believes that associating immigration with HIV appeals to racist tropes, how should one express that feeling?
    Possibly you are being racist by assuming immigrant means the person is a different race. Different race to what, considering the rich and varied racial heritage of today's UK? It a leftie dog whistle, nothing more.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

TGOHF said:

Agree the HIV comment was horrible, I was repulsed with that argument, but it is true he did well later.
    But doing well later was inevitable. Nigel is the best speaker and debater out of that bunch by a country mile. It's like someone doing an exam with no revision but scraping a 'B' because they're bright and they write well. They should have got an A+. And that's Nigel. Not a single person who likes UKIP but doesn't say so at work for fear of the reaction will have a shred more confidence to do so now than they did yesterday, which is a terrible shame.

Farage's debate rating was quite a way ahead of UKIP's current poll ratings, though. It might remind some people who were saying they would vote UKIP last year, but had in recent months drifted back to Tory or Labour, why they liked UKIP in the first place.
    Here's a good reason why 'who won the debate' polls can be meaningless. I don't mind betting every single ukip supporter in the land watched their man last night. So betcha more than 20% of the 7m viewers were ukip.
  • Options
    EPG said:

Indigo said:

EPG said:

Non nobis, domine, non nobis. Look at the many Ukip supporters on here who disagree that associating HIV with immigrants is publicly acceptable, inoffensive, speaking one's mind, normal political debate, racially neutral as to whether the immigrants are black Africans or white New Zealanders. Why do they think that, I wonder?
    So you condemn the immigration policies of Australia and Canada then I assume. It just the same nonsense as calling the UKIP capped immigration policy racist when it explicitly isn't, its based on merit, where as the EU policy explicitly is, nice white Europeans get in, brown people have to jump through hoops or have a rich sponsor.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,161

Danny565 said:

TGOHF said:

Farage's debate rating was quite a way ahead of UKIP's current poll ratings, though. It might remind some people who were saying they would vote UKIP last year, but had in recent months drifted back to Tory or Labour, why they liked UKIP in the first place.
    Here's a good reason why 'who won the debate' polls can be meaningless. I don't mind betting every single ukip supporter in the land watched their man last night. So betcha more than 20% of the 7m viewers were ukip.
    I thought all the kippers were out on the street playing football in the evenings.
  • Options
    shadsyshadsy Posts: 289
    If Farage had got 1% more in the average of the polls at the expense of Cameron, then the betting on the Ladbrokes board would have correctly predicted the exact order of the seven runners. Then the Ladbrokes PR dept could (and probably would) have claimed that the betting nailed it.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799
    EPG said:

Indigo said:

EPG said:

It certainly didn't bother this UKIP supporter.
  • Options

Danny565 said:

TGOHF said:

I thought all the kippers were out on the street playing football in the evenings.
    You can play football with a walking stick?
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Indigo said:

EPG said:

Nige proposes policies which numerous other countries have adopted and he is branded a bigot. Whilst the metropolitan elite may be expressing faux outrage the WWC up and down the country will be agreeing with his comments.

Labour need to decide whether they are a party for the working class or a party for the metropolitan elite. As long as they pursue policies which appeal to the luvvies UKIP will continue to eat into their vote share. I think they will be in for a nasty shock when UKIP rack up an awful lot of solid second place finishes in working class nothern constituencies.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

EPG said:

Indigo said:

EPG said:

So you condemn the immigration policies of Australia and Canada then I assume. It just the same nonsense as calling the UKIP capped immigration policy racist when it explicitly isn't, its based on merit, where as the EU policy explicitly is, nice white Europeans get in, brown people have to jump through hoops or have a rich sponsor.
    MBE makes good points at the start of the thread.

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645
    dr_spyn said:

First.

Nothing said about Britain and the rest of the world - nothing on Iran or Russia for example.

One for the next debate perhaps? Although that would be weird without the PM there, even more than most issues.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

EPG said:

Indigo said:

EPG said:

Yes, I condemn the immigration policies of Australia. I don't know enough about Canada's policy mix. The EU policy is that EU members can move around EU countries, which is as un-racist as saying that Californians can move to Vermont. But I repeat, non nobis! Why are the Ukippers here so worried about associating HIV with immigrants?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

EPG said:

Indigo said:

EPG said:

I am not even a UKIP supporter, I despite sanctimonious leftie dog whistles and cant. Especially attempts to turn everything it a race discussion, its so 1990's. People who know about my circumstances know I am about as far from racist as you can get, its not about race its about money. It would be fascinating to get a survey of British minorities and see what they think about subsidising the health care of people arriving from other countries with communicable diseases while our economy is in the state it is in.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    It was clear early on that Farage was comfortably the best speaker but he over did it with the constant immigration talk and he had a quiet end to the show, which probably cost him further.

Sturgeon did very well to win considering the low base of SNP supporters in the sample compared to Cameron and Farage who would have got 20% each no matter how good or bad they did.
  • Options
    Meantime Labour have shot out on betfair to 32 from low 20's y'day. Markets now discounting a Labour victory.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    EPG said:

. But I repeat, non nobis! Why are the Ukippers here so worried about associating HIV with immigrants?

I would have thought that was incredibly obvious, because it makes lefties jump up and down and scream wacist in a boring and predictable manner as they try and close down the debate.

If you are in favour of paying for the health care of people arriving at the country with cronic conditions by extension you think we should sent out aircraft and fly in anyone suffering from such a condition around the world, if not its just comfort zone humbug, you just want to treat the people you can see, and never mind the ones that drown in little boats trying to get here.

• Options
    Hmm, should I bore everyone with my extensive note summaries for each section of the night? I took the opening response to each question as separate from the debates.
  • Options
    If Ukip win 12 per cent of the vote, does that mean 88 per cent of people are the leftie luvvie metropolitan elite? Or is there some irresistable force pulling them away from voting for the policies they've always secretly very strongly agreed with, but that they've no chance to support in the election, because nobody in the country is aware that Nigel Farage is leading a political party that opposes immigration?
  • Options
    Indigo said:

EPG said:

. But I repeat, non nobis! Why are the Ukippers here so worried about associating HIV with immigrants?

I would have thought that was incredibly obvious, because it makes lefties jump up and down and scream wacist in a boring and predictable manner without attempting to engage with the debate.

Which I would acknowledge as a fair point. When Wood criticised Farage he retorted that it was true but no one seemed interested in saying whether it was or not. The outrage was more important than explaining that it was outrageous and nonsense (if it was).
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,826

Meantime Labour have shot out on betfair to 32 from low 20's y'day. Markets now discounting a Labour victory.

EICIPM 2.32 in from 2.4 the last time i looked earlier this week
  • Options

FPT:

TGOHF said:

Even if he'd wanted to make that point he could have taken a different slant on it. There are some issues that don't go away just because they're inconvenient or don't fit a particular worldview ("it's a fact, it's a fact, it's a fact", although I think that was a rather weak way of putting it).

Being nice to migrants makes us all feel fluffy and good and multicultural and compassionate or whatever, but if we really wanted to treat every sufferer as a human being, then we'd be sending out the RAF (or Scottish Air Force) to ferry all the diseased people to the UK so the NHS can save them.

Instead, we have a system where we are quite happy to treat your ailment, but only if you are brave and resourceful - and, ultimately, lucky - enough to give tens of thousands of dollars to untrustworthy organised criminals, to take the risks (and perhaps subject your partner and even your children to these perils too) of leaky hulls and suffocating lorries, and somehow survive it. Jump through those hoops for us, then we will give you your meds (or whatever it is you've come to these shores for) and celebrate how humane that makes us.

Thousands of bodies are washing up on the Mediterranean, and we are having a mutual anti-Kipper wankfest over how "compassionate" we all are.

It's a self-consistent and rationally arguable policy to open the gates: "give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free". I might even vote for it, though I suspect the majority of Brits would not feel so tempted. There is also a case that our entry policy should be made rather less inviting and rather more discerning. In the meantime, the wretched refuse teems homeless and tempest-tost along Europe's golden door.

The hypocrisy of our "morally comfortable" policy of being "firm but fair" on migration controls, is that while we may be blind to its consequences, under such a policy the optimum number of migrant deaths is greater than zero.
    Asylum is based on making a promise "anyone with a well-founded fear of persecution is entitled to settle" that could never be honoured, and which we have no intention of honouring.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

EPG said:

I would have thought that was incredibly obvious, because it makes lefties jump up and down and scream wacist in a boring and predictable manner as they try and close down the debate.

If you are in favour of paying for the health care of people arriving at the country with cronic conditions by extension you think we should sent out aircraft and fly in anyone suffering from such a condition around the world, if not its just comfort zone humbug, you just want to treat the people you can see, and never mind the ones that drown in little boats trying to get here.

If you think Britain should spend an extra £3 billion a year on the NHS, then by extension do you think Britain should spend an extra £27 billion a year on the NHS, or do you choose a middle ground between spending nothing and spending everything?
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    justin124 said:

I agree with those who argue that EM would benefit from the anti-Austerity message put forward by Nicola Sturgeon. The trouble is ,though, that 95% of the electorate are pretty well illiterate when it comes to macroeconomics and see the economy in pure accountancy terms. Last night would have been far too late to begin promoting this mssage but it s such a missed opportunit that Labour has over the past few years failed to draw on history to make the anti-austerity case. In particular when Harold Macmillan informed the nation in his speech at Bedford in the late 1950s that ‘we have never had it so good’ the Debt to GDP ratio was 105%. He saw no need to pursue a policy of austerity – on the contrary it had been phased out half a decade earlier when the Debt/GDP figure was well over 200%.Why then do we

Yup, we've had a deficit for 100 of the last 150 years. And it shows just how much potential an anti austerity argument has that a woman pushing that argument came almost equal-top in the debate despite not even running in 90% of the country.

The irony is, Labour conceding defeat on the austerity issue has actually made their "economic credibility" ratings a whole lot WORSE. Because they've allowed the narrative that deficits are evil and that government spending is a bad thing to become so dominant, it leads people inevitably to conclude that the last Labour government messed up. Because Ed wasn't willing to contest Cameron and Clegg last night when they talked about the mess Labour had made, that will obviously mean voters think they must be right.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924

Danny565 said:

TGOHF said:

Are you not aware of walking football? See www.walkingfootballunited.co.uk/
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,826
    Lab most seats at 3.1.

Been about that for a couple of weeks.
  • Options
    EPG said:

If Ukip win 12 per cent of the vote, does that mean 88 per cent of people are the leftie luvvie metropolitan elite?

Always the hidden problem with UKIP rhtetoric, that. On some issues they are definitely in the mainstream, and the others try to react accordingly, but the rhetoric has trouble squaring UKIP doing well with the fact that millions and millions more will decide - and many decide for positive reasons - to vote for the discredited, hopeless big two.
  • Options
    IOSIOS Posts: 1,450
    Betting Markets tend to overstate the media narrative.

Lots of punters bet on politics when they don't know the detail. They just follow the press and bet accordingly.
  • Options
    EPG said:

If Ukip win 12 per cent of the vote, does that mean 88 per cent of people are the leftie luvvie metropolitan elite? Or is there some irresistable force pulling them away from voting for the policies they've always secretly very strongly agreed with, but that they've no chance to support in the election, because nobody in the country is aware that Nigel Farage is leading a political party that opposes immigration?

So by extension everyone else should be voting for the greens since they propose open borders and unlimited immigration, oh wait....

BES2014 showing that 76% of the population want immigration reduced, 52% "reduced considerably", trying to say people are choosing not to vote for Farage because of his immigration policy is pretty unlikely, there are lots of other reason not to vote for him, no least his collection of fruitcakes for candidates, and his irritating cheeky chappy manner, trying to everyone's voting choice down to Farage's views on immigration does feel rather a stretch.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited April 2015
    "The notion that betting’s a good pointer to political outcomes got thwacked last night"

Not sure a 7 way debate is a good test of this hypothesis. One giant mud bath, 7 politicians tipped into it and they spend 2hrs rolling around in it akin to some sort of weird WWE mud wrestling match...impossible to tell from the outside who is winning and losing. Only that some are muddier than others, but no indication of who is "winning", and also that some aren't trying to win only get less muddy than the others.
  • Options
    EPG said:

No. People vote for many reasons. There are plenty of Conservatives who have much the same view that UKIP have about immigration, but have other reasons for voting Conservative, not least, fear of letting in Labour.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Sean_F said:

EPG said:

Indigo said:

EPG said:

Indeed, migrant, migrant being people that as yet haven't contributed to the country, and so should not be able to impose a great cost on the country in front of people already living there and contribute, irrespective of the race of the immigrant, or the race of the person already contributing. Trying to paint this as a race issue is tendentious bollocks, its a who contributes ny immigrant with an infectious disease.
    I am not even a UKIP supporter, I despite sanctimonious leftie dog whistles and cant. Especially attempts to turn everything it a race discussion, its so 1990's. People who know about my circumstances know I am about as far from racist as you can get, its not about race its about money. It would be fascinating to get a survey of British minorities and see what they think about subsidising the health care of people arriving from other countries with communicable diseases while our economy is in the state it is in.

'According to the survey, 39% of Asian Britons, 34% of white Britons and 21% of black Britons wanted all immigration into the UK to be stopped permanently, or at least until the economy improved. And 43% of Asian Britons, 63% of white Britons and 17% of black Britons agreed with the statement that "immigration into Britain has been a bad thing for the country". Just over half of respondents – 52% – agreed with the proposition that "Muslims create problems in the UK".'

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2011/feb/27/support-poll-support-far-right
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    My wife watched it all last night.

Thought Sturgeon was by far the best performer.

She did like Farage.

Thought Milliband was bad and Clegg the worst.

She said if she thought Farage / UKIP could win they would get her vote - as that is not even an outside chance she is going Blue.

I didn't bother to watch debate my mind made up a week or so ago

That's 2 votes for the Blues in Colchester.

Last time we were asked voting intentions locally she was 100% lib Dem and I was torn 3 ways.

Can't believe we the only ones whose votes firm up when you consider pm milliband as the alternative.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

EPG said:

So by extension everyone else should be voting for the greens since they propose open borders and unlimited immigration, oh wait....

BES2014 showing that 76% of the population want immigration reduced, 52% "reduced considerably", trying to say people are choosing not to vote for Farage because of his immigration policy is pretty unlikely, there are lots of other reason not to vote for him, no least his collection of fruitcakes for candidates, and his irritating cheeky chappy manner, trying to everyone's voting choice down to Farage's views on immigration does feel rather a stretch.
    The Greens also embody lots of little daft ideas about socialism and environmentalism. Ukip is one big idea: Britain alone, keeping foreigners at a greater distance. Clearly people don't believe in anti-immigration enough to actually vote for the party of anti-immigration and to vote against the leftie luvvie metropolitan elite consensus.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Danny565 said:

TGOHF said:

Hockey :)
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Yup, we've had a deficit for 100 of the last 150 years. And it shows just how much potential an anti austerity argument has that a woman pushing that argument came almost equal-top in the debate despite not even running in 90% of the country..

The problem I have with this is that Sturgeon may be a fine debater, but she and her party don't actually have any real experience of running a countries economy. Presently they get to spend some pocket money sent north from Westminster. When the SNP has to actually raise the money they spend, and get re-elected off the back of those decisions, then I will be listening to her economic prescription with my full attention.

• Options
    marktheowlmarktheowl Posts: 169

Can I be a lefty to defend UKIP, with a few caveats and explain why the HIV thing was dreadful?

I profoundly disagree with them but at their best UKIP are a party with an interesting philosophy. One might think they're completely and utterly wrong but there's something there. In fact it's arguably a good thing that those who are a bit racist are voting for a party that generally isn't and articulates a section of the population's views.

The HIV thing last night was awful because it pandered to people's worst prejudices over what is, at its most heinous a tiny, tiny issue. It also stigmatises those with HIV who are British. We're also getting to the stage where people can live full lives with HIV, so it's doubly idiotic. Why not any other long term disease, before we get to the cost effectiveness of such a procedure?

At their best, UKIP have legitimate arguments about the benefits of being in the EU and immigration, which even if you disagree with them have to be answered. That nonsense isn't one of them.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924
    edited April 2015

"The notion that betting’s a good pointer to political outcomes got thwacked last night"

Not sure a 7 way debate is a good test of this hypothesis. One giant mud bath, 7 politicians tipped into it and they spend 2hrs rolling around in it akin to some sort of weird WWE mud wrestling match...impossible to tell from the outside who is winning and losing. Only that some are muddier than others, but no indication of who is "winning", and also that some aren't trying to win only get less muddy than the others.

Rolling around in a bath, mud or otherwise, with Nicola Sturgeon. Or come to that Leanne Wood. Hmmmm!!!!!

I think a large glass of cold water is indicated.
  • Options
    Some people are confusing some claims about Farage's conflation of HIV and migrants.

Many British people who are not white oppose immigration. This is true.
    Many British people oppose immigration as a carapace for their opinions about people of other races; Farage used HIV to whip up racialist sentiment behind Ukip. This is the claim. The truth of the first statement is independent of the truth of this claim.
  • Options
    EPG said:

Indigo said:

EPG said:

The Greens also embody lots of little daft ideas about socialism and environmentalism. Ukip is one big idea: Britain alone, keeping foreigners at a greater distance. Clearly people don't believe in anti-immigration enough to actually vote for the party of anti-immigration and to vote against the leftie luvvie metropolitan elite consensus.
    Christ on a bike, I think we can agree that people vote for parties on the basis of more than one policy. For all we know half the population might agree with UKIPs immigration policy, but they probably want to elect someone that might fix the economy as well. If you think that anyone who wants to reduce immigration would be a kipper, you presumably think anyone that practises a trade votes Labour.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited April 2015
    JackW said:

JackW said:

TGOHF said:

I thought Farage missed a significant opportunity last night.

The smart play was to whistle gently to the base whilst reaching out to potential switchers. Instead he opted to whistle squarci throughout the debate as if his base needed shoring up which it didn't.
    Whatever Farage said or did in the debate, or the way he said it, or frowned, or smiled, would be and has been mulled over by the PB tories and labourites until, as now, it becomes self defeating.

The Omnishambles format of the debate, so craftily planned by Cameron and the broadcasters, would not and could not bring out the best in Farage, although he did quite well among the fruitcakes of the other 6. The fact is that Cammo for all his bluster, is a coward when it comes to a head to head with Farage, Red Ed and Cleggover.
  • Options

Yup, we've had a deficit for 100 of the last 150 years. And it shows just how much potential an anti austerity argument has that a woman pushing that argument came almost equal-top in the debate despite not even running in 90% of the country.

The irony is, Labour conceding defeat on the austerity issue has actually made their "economic credibility" ratings a whole lot WORSE. Because they've allowed the narrative that deficits are evil and that government spending is a bad thing to become so dominant, it leads people inevitably to conclude that the last Labour government messed up. Because Ed wasn't willing to contest Cameron and Clegg last night when they talked about the mess Labour had made, that will obviously mean voters think they must be right.

Any country can borrow money - for a fee dependant on how much the lender trusts you to pay it back. The more you borrow, the greater the risk and the higher the cost. Have you even heard of Greece? Since you appear to want the money primarily to fund another benefit splurge - forget it.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    So there was seven million viewers last night. Not bad I guess, but huge viewership. I would think a lot more will see it only through the prism of the clips on the news, the write up in the papers, twitter etc.
  • Options
    IOS said:

Betting Markets tend to overstate the media narrative.

Lots of punters bet on politics when they don't know the detail. They just follow the press and bet accordingly.

Hell, that's how most of us vote, let alone bet.
  • Options
    Oh feck:

There is no such thing as a "British" NHS. When will you ill-informed amatuers learn this?

:boat-anchours:
  • Options
    Whatever Farage said or did in the debate, or the way he said it, or frowned, or smiled, would be and has been mulled over by the PB tories and labourites until, as now, it becomes self defeating.

The Omnishambles format of the debate, so craftily planned by Cameron and the broadcasters, would not and could not bring out the best in Farage, although he did quite well among the fruitcakes of the other 6. The fact is that Cammo for all his bluster, is a coward when it comes to a head to head with Farage, Red Ed and Cleggover.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    "HIV treatment costs £25,000 a year. Should we test immigrants for HIV before we give them the right to live in the UK and free access to the NHS?"

Seems most people here would answer "No"... each to their own
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Go on, I was watching The Dog Whisperer during the first hour...
    kle4 said:

Hmm, should I bore everyone with my extensive note summaries for each section of the night? I took the opening response to each question as separate from the debates.

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    edited April 2015
    Danny565 Justin124 Yet with the economy growing again the main reason the Tories will likely fail to win a majority is they have not yet delivered a surplus and voters want the finances restored without public services slashed to the bone, the Tories have problem with being seen as an uncaring party of the rich as much as Labour have one of being economically illiterate spendthrifts
  • Options

The HIV thing last night was awful because it pandered to people's worst prejudices over what is, at its most heinous a tiny, tiny issue. It also stigmatises those with HIV who are British. We're also getting to the stage where people can live full lives with HIV, so it's doubly idiotic. Why not any other long term disease, before we get to the cost effectiveness of such a procedure?

This is in effect the argument made by Australia and Canada, an economic argument, it's not about HIV specifically, its about any chronic condition that will impose significant cost on their state, or restrict access to the equivalent treatments for their citizens. Its about protecting their own citizens and putting them first irrespective of the race of the citizen or the immigrant.
  • Options
    Interviews without biscuits or coffee.

Sky News Newsdesk ‏@SkyNewsBreak 2m2 minutes ago
    Nine Britons will be deported tomorrow after being arrested in #Turkey for trying to cross into #Syria illegally
  • Options
    Indigo said:

EPG said:

Indigo said:

EPG said:

Christ on a bike, I think we can agree that people vote for parties on the basis of more than one policy. For all we know half the population might agree with UKIPs immigration policy, but they probably want to elect someone that might fix the economy as well. If you think that anyone who wants to reduce immigration would be a kipper, you presumably think anyone that practises a trade votes Labour.
    Right, exactly. If people vote to prioritise the economy over immigration, then the LabLibCon parties are within their rights to say that they aren't just a leftie luvvie metropolitian elite consensus, that they need to largely overlook popular but not-very-salient beliefs about migrants in the name of promoting the economy, and that the public overwhelmingly support them in this choice.
  • Options
    Very well said, and I'm a Tory.

Can I be a lefty to defend UKIP, with a few caveats and explain why the HIV thing was dreadful?

I profoundly disagree with them but at their best UKIP are a party with an interesting philosophy. One might think they're completely and utterly wrong but there's something there. In fact it's arguably a good thing that those who are a bit racist are voting for a party that generally isn't and articulates a section of the population's views.

At their best, UKIP have legitimate arguments about the benefits of being in the EU and immigration, which even if you disagree with them have to be answered. That nonsense isn't one of them.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Nine Britons will be deported tomorrow after being arrested in #Turkey for trying to cross into #Syria illegally

No doubt these "nine conservative-Asians" will get another chance to vote - again - for sven's "flockers"? Maybe a 'vote-swap-out' from Rochdale to Broxtowe...?

:paint-it-black:
  • Options

You and others deliberately miss the point. Farage was only using HIV sufferers as an example that foreigners who have not paid a penny into the upkeep of the NHS, can come to this country and get treatment free (cost £24k) at British taxpayers expense. He could probably used cancer patients or other diseases, but the outcry would probably be the same, because Farage uttered them.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

"It's only multiculturalism, doing it's thing baby...."
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Betting post:

Sporting Index Portsmouth South market is very interesting, but I believe the best UKIP can do here is second as GVJ will either galvanise the Lib Dem troops to win, or Flick Drummond comes home.

So it is a SELL for me at 4.0
  • Options

As you can see here, Ukip and generally anti-immigration supporters is deeply split. Some anti-immigration people agree and are worried by Farage's line of rhetoric. Most, including many non-Kippers, believe there's nothing wrong about specifically stigmatising HIV as part of anti-immigration policies, and in fact that it is sensible and a good thing to say. I think attempting to unweave this kind of racism from a party that is only about anti-immigration is impossible, but to each his own and good luck to those Kippers who try.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    HYUFD said:

Danny565 Justin124 Yet with the economy growing again the main reason the Tories will likely fail to win a majority is they have not yet delivered a surplus and voters want the finances restored without public services slashed to the bone, the Tories have problem with being seen as an uncaring party of the rich as much as Labour have one of being economically illiterate spendthrifts

A fair point. How would you deliver a surplus? How do you deliver a surplus when the level of public spending has risen 50% in real terms in 10 years? In other words there was a massive structural deficit which the economy was in capable of filling. I fully accept that you realise this, but how do you deliver a surplus without cutting spending to fill that void? And if that void is bigger than first thought then how do you fill it except by even more cutting than planned.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    EPG said:

As you can see here, Ukip and generally anti-immigration supporters is deeply split. Some anti-immigration people agree and are worried by Farage's line of rhetoric. Most, including many non-Kippers, believe there's nothing wrong about specifically stigmatising HIV as part of anti-immigration policies, and in fact that it is sensible and a good thing to say. I think attempting to unweave this kind of racism from a party that is only about anti-immigration is impossible, but to each his own and good luck to those Kippers who try.

You just cant help yourself can you, when did race suddenly come back into this debate ? Its like Pavlov's dog Farage: Racist, UKIP: Racist, Talking about immigration: Racist.

Controlling immigration isn't racist. Stopping people coming into the country because of their race (like the EU does) is racist.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    felix said:

'Any country can borrow money - for a fee dependant on how much the lender trusts you to pay it back. The more you borrow, the greater the risk and the higher the cost. Have you even heard of Greece? Since you appear to want the money primarily to fund another benefit splurge - forget it.'

But Borrowing costs are far lower than when Macmillan spoke in the late 1950s!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    That effectively gives you a lay of 6.25-1 on the win, which beats bookie price and an almost Evens price against the second where Lib Dems are 15-8 to win.
  • Options
    Flightpath Well personally I would end ringfencing which would help, and no major tax cuts until the finances are restored
  • Options
    Why did John Tyndall say that Africa only gave the world "black magic, witchcraft, voodoo, cannibalism and AIDS"?

It must be because nobody out there has ever subconsciously or otherwise associated HIV or AIDS with black Africans. That's it. Clearly. Exact same as cancer or broken arm. Mind at ease. Farage nice man.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    The key reason Sturgeon did so well with YouGov was that they were the only firm to ask "Leaving aside your own party preference, who do you think performed best overall in tonight’s debate?"

Everyone else just asked who "won" or "performed best".

If everyone had been aware of YouGov's wording then I suspect Sturgeon would have gone off a couple of points shorter (though still not fav).
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

No doubt these "nine conservative-Asians" will get another chance to vote - again - for sven's "flockers"? Maybe a 'vote-swap-out' from Rochdale to Broxtowe...?

:paint-it-black:
    If anything 'significant' is found at the Councillor's premises which lead to charges, would Labour struggle to hold Rochdale, Heywood and Middleton?
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    HYUFD said:

Absolutely, but in my view, the reason Labour are viewed as economically-illiterate spendthrifts is precisely because they're not arguing against the Right's insistence that running a deficit is the height of incompetence. People are naturally going to conclude that, if even Labour aren't defending their actions in the last government, then they really must have screwed up.

Of course, in the period where Labour were (up to a point) fighting against austerity until they u-turned in mid-2013, they were doing far better in the polls.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    Indigo said:

EPG said:

You just cant help yourself can you, when did race suddenly come back into this debate ? Its like Pavlov's dog Farage: Racist, UKIP: Racist, Talking about immigration: Racist.

Controlling immigration isn't racist. Stopping people coming into the country because of their race (like the EU does) is racist.
    The EU says that we must treat citizens of other EU states as we treat our own. If that is racist, then so was the open borders policy we ran between Ireland and the UK from the formation of the Republic. And, for that matter, is our policy of allowing working holiday visas for people from certain parts of the Commonwealth.

We have never treated people from all countries as equal. That will not change under UKIP or if we leave the EU.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Never mind. Getting bored with a circular debate
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    Pulpstar said:

Betting post:

Sporting Index Portsmouth South market is very interesting, but I believe the best UKIP can do here is second as GVJ will either galvanise the Lib Dem troops to win, or Flick Drummond comes home.

So it is a SELL for me at 4.0

Hard to call this as anything other than a Conservative win. That being said, the LibDems were ahead in the locals last time around - and that despite Mike Hancock and his wife standing as pseudo LibDem candidates (and losing their seats). I'd bet on Cons mid 30s, LD 25-30, UKIP 20-25.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Plato said:

Go on, I was watching The Dog Whisperer during the first hour...

kle4 said:

Hmates.

On your head be it . I have tried to boil it down to the most concise language possible.

Opening
    Bennett - Clunky
    Farage - Solid
    Clegg - Desperate
    Sturgeon - Reassuring
    Cameron - Positive
    Wood - Bland
    Miliband - Specific

Q1 (Cuts)opening
    Clegg - Vague
    Cameron - Ditto
    Wood - Clear
    Farage - Focused
    Miliband - Vague
    Bennett - Firm
    Sturgeon - Reasonable

Q1 debate
    Clegg overdoing message, Cameron ok but hamstrung by failures, Farage and Sturgeon play well, Bennett getting a free ride, Ed M unclear

Q2 (NHS)opening
    Farage – Not too extreme
    Sturgeon – Stern and firm
    Bennett – Lots of conviction
    Clegg – Simple and effective
    Wood – Very simple
    Miliband – Specific, in contrast to others
    Cameron – Scattered approach

Q2 debate
    Clegg going ok until privatization argument, Bennett nearly invisible, Cameron trying too hard, Sturgeon at ease, Farage trying to be brash and bold, Ed not landing blows, receiving some from Wood.

Q3 opening
    Miliband – Going for pro and anti immigrant vote?
    Wood – Pro-migrant unequivocal
    Sturgeon – Positive and upfront
    Cameron – Detail on policy by necessity
    Farage – Very strong and distinct
    Clegg – Waffling
    Bennett – More nuanced than expected

Q3 (Immigration)debate
    Some good lines from Miliband, Farage typically good, Cameron undercut by failures, first sign of petulance from Sturgeon, Bennett ok, Wood invisible.

Q4 opening
    Wood – Platitudes – first time I tuned out.
    Miliband – Student focus
    Cameron – Platitudes
    Bennett – Unexceptional but ok
    Clegg – Tried his best. Tuition fees an open sore.
    Sturgeon – Had an open goal and went through it
    Farage – Very good

Q4 (Young people future)debate
    Cameron hit by multiple good Miliband lines, Clegg trying to no effect, Wood workmanlike, Bennett as well she could hope for, Sturgeon full of pious platitudes, Farage more moderate.

Closings
    Sturgeon – Predictable, a bit of self-righteousness coming through but still positive
    Clegg – Weak closing, seemed indecisive
    Miliband – Earnest, over rehearsed but animated.
    Wood – Steady and positive
    Bennett – Simple message
    Farage – A bit jocular
    Cameron – Bland but positive message

Summary/b>
    Cameron - Not bad
    Sturgeon - Good reassuring and positive performance
    Wood - Drifted in and out, landed some blows on Ed
    Miliband - Solid performance, some good lines, surprisingly specific at times
    Bennett - Bad start but did well on several questions, not attacked and able to distinguish her position
    Clegg - Fine, but won't be trusted to benefit from it
    Farage - No major gaffes or wins.

• Options
    justin124 said:

felix said:

'Any country can borrow money - for a fee dependant on how much the lender trusts you to pay it back. The more you borrow, the greater the risk and the higher the cost. Have you even heard of Greece? Since you appear to want the money primarily to fund another benefit splurge - forget it.
    '

But Borrowing costs are far lower than when Macmillan spoke in the late 1950s!

They are lower because there is trust that the govt will act responsibly - those costs would be much higher under a Lab/SNP hook-up.
  • Options
    I think the debates focus is misplaced. Yesterday's YG was far more interesting.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

I see the BBC are doing some great headline limbo dancing with this story...

"Home searched after Turkey arrests"
  • Options
    Re: the HIV comment, I didn't see anything wrong with it. Then I assumed the outrage was based on an assumption of homophobic dog whistling rather than racism. The charge of racism seems odd since I suspect average Eastern European HIV levels are probably lower than average Commonwealth HIV levels and UKIP claim to want to rebalance our immigration criteria to the advantage of the latter at the expense of the former.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Ed wins comfortably among 18-34 year olds and DE's. 4th in Scotland and Wales.

One for the psephological risk assessors;
  • Options
    EPG said:

Why did John Tyndall say that Africa only gave the world "black magic, witchcraft, voodoo, cannibalism and AIDS"?

It must be because nobody out there has ever subconsciously or otherwise associated HIV or AIDS with black Africans. That's it. Clearly. Exact same as cancer or broken arm. Mind at ease. Farage nice man.

I wouldn't have thought many peoples first thought when someone says "HIV" is "black africans"

It's a disease that can be passed on and costs a fortune to treat. Getting off your high horse and leaving aside your own preconceptions and prejudices, why wouldn't you check whether someone wanting to come and live here is infected?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

EPG said:

The EU says that we must treat citizens of other EU states as we treat our own. If that is racist, then so was the open borders policy we ran between Ireland and the UK from the formation of the Republic. And, for that matter, is our policy of allowing working holiday visas for people from certain parts of the Commonwealth.

We have never treated people from all countries as equal. That will not change under UKIP or if we leave the EU.
    Quite possibly.

I am just pointing out that accusing the kippers of having a racist immigration policy which is in effect colour blind because its points system doesn't consider race or country of origin, while being completely happy with a policy which selects who can get into the country purely on the basis of where they come from, irrespective of their cost or benefit to the nation, is a bit of bizarre mental gymnastics.
  • Options
    isam said:

EPG said:

I wouldn't have thought many peoples first thought when someone says "HIV" is "black africans"

It's a disease that can be passed on and costs a fortune to treat. Getting off your high horse and leaving aside your own preconceptions and prejudices, why wouldn't you check whether someone wanting to come and live here is infected?
    Not many? Perhaps. But Farage is seeking to shore up his vote precisely among the people who worry about letting the HIV-infected black Africans into England.
  • Options
    Danny565 Indeed, but generally voters turn to the Tories to sort out the economy, they elect Labour when the focus is on how to build a 'better' society
  • Options
    EPG said:

isam said:

EPG said:

Not many? Perhaps. But Farage is seeking to shore up his vote precisely among the people who worry about letting the HIV-infected black Africans into England.
    That you draw that conclusion in the absence of any evidence I would suggest says rather more about you than it does about him.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

dr_spyn said:

I see the BBC are doing some great headline limbo dancing with this story...

"Home searched after Turkey arrests"
    Waheed Ahmed's favourite book - Travels With My Aunt by Graham Greene. Might even turn into a film.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

EPG said:

isam said:

EPG said:

That you draw that conclusion in the absence of any evidence I would suggest says rather more about you than it does about him.
    No. It says nothing discernable about me and it says that he chose to bring up immigrants carrying HIV in front of seven million people. That was a comment that sounds much cleverer than it is.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    chestnut said:

Ed wins comfortably among 18-34 year olds and DE's. 4th in Scotland and Wales.

One for the psephological risk assessors;
    Labour collapse in Wales would be entertaining.
  • Options
    Really interesting - tempted to watch 1st hour.

PS What controller do I use if I buy PC games? Can I throw the screen to a smart tv? This is all black magic to me these days.
    kle4 said:

Plato said:

kle4 said:

Hmates.

Opening
    Bennett - Clunky
    Farage - Solid
    Clegg - Desperate
    Sturgeon - Reassuring
    Cameron - Positive
    Wood - Bland
    Miliband - Specific

Q1 (Cuts)opening
    Clegg - Vague
    Cameron - Ditto
    Wood - Clear
    Farage - Focused
    Miliband - Vague
    Bennett - Firm
    Sturgeon - Reasonable

Q1 debate
    Clegg overdoing message, Cameron ok but hamstrung by failures, Farage and Sturgeon play well, Bennett getting a free ride, Ed M unclear

Q2 (NHS)opening
    Farage – Not too extreme
    Sturgeon – Stern and firm
    Bennett – Lots of conviction
    Clegg – Simple and effective
    Wood – Very simple
    Miliband – Specific, in contrast to others
    Cameron – Scattered approach

Q2 debate
    Clegg going ok until privatization argument, Bennett nearly invisible, Cameron trying too hard, Sturgeon at ease, Farage trying to be brash and bold, Ed not landing blows, receiving some from Wood.

Q3 opening
    Miliband – Going for pro and anti immigrant vote?
    Wood – Pro-migrant unequivocal
    Sturgeon – Positive and upfront
    Cameron – Detail on policy by necessity
    Farage – Very strong and distinct
    Clegg – Waffling
    Bennett – More nuanced than expected

Q3 (Immigration)debate
    Some good lines from Miliband, Farage typically good, Cameron undercut by failures, first sign of petulance from Sturgeon, Bennett ok, Wood invisible.

Q4 opening
    Wood – Platitudes – first time I tuned out.
    Miliband – Student focus
    Cameron – Platitudes
    Bennett – Unexceptional but ok
    Clegg – Tried his best. Tuition fees an open sore.
    Sturgeon – Had an open goal and went through it
    Farage – Very good

Q4 (Young people future)debate
    Cameron hit by multiple good Miliband lines, Clegg trying to no effect, Wood workmanlike, Bennett as well she could hope for, Sturgeon full of pious platitudes, Farage more moderate.

Closings
    Sturgeon – Predictable, a bit of self-righteousness coming through but still positive
    Clegg – Weak closing, seemed indecisive
    Miliband – Earnest, over rehearsed but animated.
    Wood – Steady and positive
    Bennett – Simple message
    Farage – A bit jocular
    Cameron – Bland but positive message

Summary/b>
    Cameron - Not bad
    Sturgeon - Good reassuring and positive performance
    Wood - Drifted in and out, landed some blows on Ed
    Miliband - Solid performance, some good lines, surprisingly specific at times
    Bennett - Bad start but did well on several questions, not attacked and able to distinguish her position
    Clegg - Fine, but won't be trusted to benefit from it
    Farage - No major gaffes or wins.

• Options
    felix said:

I think the debates focus is misplaced. Yesterday's YG was far more interesting.

But the Tory lead actually narrowed slightly in today's YouGov from 2.3% to 1.9%!
  • Options
    EPG said:

isam said:

EPG said:

No answer to the question then, what a surprise

• Options
    EPG said:

Indigo said:

EPG said:

isam said:

EPG said:

No. It says nothing discernable about me and it says that he chose to bring up immigrants carrying HIV in front of seven million people. That was a comment that sounds much cleverer than it is.
    Baloney. You said just above that he bought it up to "shore up his vote precisely among the people who worry about letting the HIV-infected black Africans" for which there is no evidence, it could just as easily have been a homophobic dog whistle as was suggested down thread, for which there is no evidence either. Or it could have been a people who arrive in this country of whatever race should not be a burden on the people who are already here, of what ever race, which would be entirely consistent with the points based immigration system they propose, which for some reason leftie scream about being racist as well despite being explicitly colour blind.

Its just playing the man and not the ball, because people don't like Farage or his views on the one hand, and its an issue at or near the top of the concerns of British voters which is uncomfortable for left leaners to deal with.
This discussion has been closed.