Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

Comments

• Options
    Aren't there more Lord A marginal polls to come as well I thought?
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Survation. ‏@Survation 26m26 minutes ago
    NEW POLL:
    South Thanet. Fieldwork April 22
    Farage/UKIP 39%
    Mackinlay/CON 30%
    Scobie/LAB 26%
    Driver/GRE 2%
    Timpson/LD 2%
    Others 1%

And now goodnight. :)
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    Tyke - your man now looks odds on to win his seat. Don't forget to raise a glass for him when the result comes on. Two days before Election Day you will get you third Labour PPC with all the rest of the PB brethren.
  • Options
    No LibDem on Question Time. How does that work fairly then? considering the others on the panel.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262

Good to see YouGov has the headline.

Another 'Terrible night for the Tories'.
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650
    That's minimum 3 seats CON-UKIP loss.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Anyone got the YouGov sample size?
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    kle4 said:

Speedy said:

So in summary of today's polling:
    The Tories or Labour are approaching a majority, with UKIP & LD's either rising or collapsing.
    So everyone is happy.

Ha! It's like the old catchall weather forecast - warm and dry, but with some cooler and rainy spells.
    You know that is the actual weather forecast today for election day too.

Oh and one last thing, many here blame yougov for sticking with their panel instead of randomly selected interviews, but the panel idea is there to exclude the possibility of outliers due to varying patches of party responders from sample to sample, thus avoiding large changes from poll to poll.

You won't see pogostick behaviour from yougov that you see from other pollsters.

Goodnight.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850

Union campaigners receiving death threats - Newsnight.

As in, pro-UK campaigners in Scotland.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Saltire said:

Jim Murphy having a really tough time on Scotland 2015 with Sarah Smith.
    Don't think he will have a job come May 8th

If you know anyone in East Renfrewshire who needs a vote in Con target from Lab #10 or so :)
  • Options
    SaltireSaltire Posts: 525

50 plus Labour gains in E&W is just fantasy.

Is this based on the popular vote getting more in Con's favour between now and the GE, or Labour underperforming uniform swing?

Labour will get many if additional votes in places where it will make little difference. Many safe Labour seats in E&W will get safer, as will a number of Labour-held marginals.

Agreed, especially in seats where the Libdems were in 2nd in 2010
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    Mike thread headline 2 weeks time!

'OK everybody gets it wrong sometime'!!

:lol:

• Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    Toff Harman with her faux sense of moral superiority reminds me why I utterly despise Labour.

Breaking Bad in 5 mins thankfully.
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    JEO said:

HYUFD said:

FB The LDs have made clear they will back the largest party, if they back a Labour government which came second on seats and votes they will lose the few remaining seats they will hold in England and Wales to go along with the loss of almost all their Scottish seats in May

Where have the Lib Dems said that? As they've been at pains to point out plenty of times they don't necessarily get to choose who to support. The numbers could make the decision for them. If the anti-tory bloc is much bigger than the Tory one they may have no choice.
    What will be a disaster for the Liberal Democrats would be a result something like the following:

Conservatives: 290
    Labour: 260
    SNP: 55
    Liberal Democrats: 20
    DUP: 9
    UKIP: 4

They would have to choose between:

- Joining a Conservative-DUP-UKIP right wing coalition, with a majority of votes, a theoretical majority in the Commons but an impossible to govern one
    - Joining a Labour-SNP left wing coalition that has a better Commons majority but a minority of votes
    - Forcing another election
    You seem to miss out the PC Seats, they got three last time, perhaps heading for four this time. Plus the three SDLP seats and Lady Harmon.

Also keep an eye on Belfast North, it's got rapidly changing demographics and is going green fast. SF put 7% on it's vote there last time to come within 2,000 votes, it's got a very solid candidate and with the SDLP being squeezed could go green and take SF to 6 seats, DUP to 8 and lower the threshold for a majority by 2.

Lot of variables
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Labour voters in Thanet now have a choice to make.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,049

Is this based on the popular vote getting more in Con's favour between now and the GE, or Labour underperforming uniform swing?

Labour will get many if additional votes in places where it will make little difference. Many safe Labour seats in E&W will get safer, as will a number of Labour-held marginals.

Listen Southern- your posts have become as irritating as the newly fledgling mosquitoes here in Firenze. You know the pbCOM Tories will never accept you. All HIBAB- "heard it all before and better"
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Barnesian said:

MaxPB said:

Solid result for the Tories in England. Would mean around 25 losses to Labour and about 10 gains from the Lib Dems. ~290 seats and largest party.
    A 3.2% swing Con to Lab in E&W means about 40 seat losses.
    Con start with 307, gain 10 LD, lose 40 Lab, 2 UKIP and 1 SNP. This gives them 274.

Same assumptions gives Lab 267.

Con + LD + UKIP + DUP = 312
    Lab + SNP + PC + Grn +SDLP = 331

And this is assuming that the LDs go with the Cons.
    Your model doesn't properly factor in UKIP taking a bunch of votes off the Tories in safe seats making their vote much more efficient than it is now.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    tyson said:

It's based on the mental transformation that SO has made to become the pbHodges.

Really though, around here I see 50 Lab from Con gains treated as the maximum they can aspire to barring some massive change in the polls. I'm just struggling to reconcile that with the table Mike posted earlier. There seem to be three possible sources of downside:

- Lab underperforms UNS in E+W
    - "Swingback" or similar means that Con-Lab swing will be lower by the day
    - Some methodology flaw means that poll of polls is overrepresenting Con-Lab swing

Is it just that people are assuming one of those is true? Or is there some other reason I'm not understanding? And is there any evidence for the first one?
  • Options

Tomorrow
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Fascinating interview with Nicola on Newsnight

First she says that the government must command a majority (so there can't be a minority Government?)

Then she says a minority Government can't be voted out...
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,914
    tyson said:

Listen Southern- your posts have become as irritating as the newly fledgling mosquitoes here in Firenze. You know the pbCOM Tories will never accept you. All HIBAB- "heard it all before and better"

This is my time. I'm finally calling one right. Scotland has changed everything and saved JackW's bacon.

It's Florence to you and me.

• Options

Labour will get many additional votes in places where it will make little difference. Many safe Labour seats in E&W will get safer, as will a number of Labour-held marginals.

Does this match Ashcroft constituency polls?
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987
    MaxPB said:

Barnesian said:

MaxPB said:

Solid result for the Tories in England. Would mean around 25 losses to Labour and about 10 gains from the Lib Dems. ~290 seats and largest party.
    A 3.2% swing Con to Lab in E&W means about 40 seat losses.
    Con start with 307, gain 10 LD, lose 40 Lab, 2 UKIP and 1 SNP. This gives them 274.

Same assumptions gives Lab 267.

Con + LD + UKIP + DUP = 312
    Lab + SNP + PC + Grn +SDLP = 331

And this is assuming that the LDs go with the Cons.
    Your model doesn't properly factor in UKIP taking a bunch of votes off the Tories in safe seats making their vote much more efficient than it is now.
    It does.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,206
    ComRes = clear outlier, just like Survation :lol:
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    I know I will be even less popular than normal by saying this but I am sick of being lectured to by some whining Aussie.

If the Greens really want to progress then where is Caroline Lucas? I don't agree with a single thing she stands for but at least she is good at stating her case.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

AndyJS said:

Many sitting Labour MPs in E&W are going to have larger majorities in two weeks. But that won't help Ed get to Number 10.

I think there's going to be a huge divergence in Labour's performance between metropolitan areas and everywhere else (in England & Wales).

It'll be the Midlands that really does for Labour.

Agree. If Labour can't win seats like Cannock Chase, Halesowen, Dudley South, Nuneaton, Erewash, Northampton North, it's game over. Hopefully there'll be plenty of reporters at the counts of those seats on election night to give us an early indication of what's happening.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901
    The reaction to the Thanet South poll leaves me stupefied and is one of the reasons I started the spud

This is worse than the last poll from the constituency from Survation, so why is it hailed as good for Ukip??

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,206
    RodCrosby said:

Anyone got the YouGov sample size?

Won't know till 6 am
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,630

tyson said:

It's based on the mental transformation that SO has made to become the pbHodges.

Really though, around here I see 50 Lab from Con gains treated as the maximum they can aspire to barring some massive change in the polls. I'm just struggling to reconcile that with the table Mike posted earlier. There seem to be three possible sources of downside:

- Some methodology flaw means that poll of polls is overrepresenting Con-Lab swing

Is it just that people are assuming one of those is true? Or is there some other reason I'm not understanding? And is there any evidence for the first one?
    I thought the evidence was that they were actually outperforming UNS in the marginals in E+W in any case?

It seems to me people are assuming the latter two of your three possibilities at the least.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Dimbleby not interested in anything Natalie Bennett has to say.
  • Options
    Newsnight Index:

Con 283
    Lab 270
    SNP 48
    LD 24
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,630
    edited April 2015
    isam said:

The reaction to the Thanet South poll leaves me stupefied and is one of the reasons I started the spud

This is worse than the last poll from the constituency from Survation, so why is it hailed as good for Ukip??

Because I cannot remember the last poll. And he's still ahead, even in the face of a lot of challenges. Better than not being ahead.
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411

ComRes = clear outlier, just like Survation :lol:

Miliband = outlier :lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    jahodges said:

Its getting to the point where decimal points would be useful eg it could be two 4.4% tory leads and a labour 1.6 and 2.6% lead or it could be tory 3.6% x2 v labour 2.6 and 3.4..... unless I'm misinformed as to rounding up/ down
    I also wonder if maybe you gov regardless of whether they're accurate as to the leader has somehow got a better handle on margin of error and actually little is changing.

Decimal points are only useful if you believe the Goddam things are accurate to one decimal place.

At least some of these polls have serious errors, so quoting the results to 1 decimal place is just false precision.

I have never believed the argument that lessons were learnt in 1992, and now polling is as accurate as quantum field theory.

Lessons probably were learnt in 1992, but not the right lessons for 2015.
  • Options
    Harriet doing a tremendous job of firming up Plaid and SNP votes here.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    isam said:

Nearer the election and will help Farage with momentum. I don't really think he's 9% ahead though.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

tyson said:

I thought the evidence was that they were actually outperforming UNS in the marginals in E+W in any case?

It seems to me people are assuming the latter two of your three possibilities at the least.
    Actually I guess the key thing is whether they're outperforming in the con-held marginals. And even more so the con-held marginals near the highr end of the expected con-lab swing.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

isam said:

Nearer the election and will help Farage with momentum. I don't really think he's 9% ahead though.
    Exactly this, the worry must have been a UKIP to Tory movement in lead up to the election. 9% in 2 weeks is near insurmountable if the poll is correct. Big sample size too.
  • Options

isam said:

Previous survation by election polls (small sample) overestimated Ukips lead by exactly 20%
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882

I think it'll be UKIP targets.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,576
    Sounds like the wave of SNP MPs will add to the gaiety of the nation:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/39bad3a8-e8ed-11e4-87fe-00144feab7de.html
  • Options
    NoEasyDayNoEasyDay Posts: 454
    I'm beginning think Dave is really a lucky General, useless campaign, stupid promises on immigration, lazy, overconfident and not very bright.

Along comes Sturgeon and pompous Salmond and save his bacon with their astonishing hubris.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    edited April 2015
    Well Betfair has moved.

Con Most Seats now 1.36/1.37 - all time record - before 10pm tonight the shortest this had EVER been (ie since market opened in 2010) was 1.4.
  • Options
    Nuttall doing OK on QT
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Well Betfair has moved.

Con Most Seats now 1.36/1.37 - all time record - before 10pm tonight the shortest this had EVER been (ie since market opened in 2010) was 1.4.

Lab most seats also spiking towards 4s...
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    The audience are lapping up Paul Nuttall. Strong candidate for next leader.
  • Options

I know I will be even less popular than normal by saying this but I am sick of being lectured to by some whining Aussie.

If the Greens really want to progress then where is Caroline Lucas? I don't agree with a single thing she stands for but at least she is good at stating her case.

Is she not a Kiwi?
    Listen Nige, I know we are kind of dreading what is going to happen in the summer, but don;t conflate things with that poor Kiwi (or Aussie).

At least I had a good nap watching Trotters and Cookie push around against an attack that would not have even made the Oxford University team.

• Options
    tyson said:

Is she not a Kiwi?
    Listen Nige, I know we are kind of dreading what is going to happen in the summer, but don;t conflate things with that poor Kiwi (or Aussie).

At least I had a good nap watching Trotters and Cookie push around against an attack that would not have even made the Oxford University team.

She's Aussie. My partner is a Kiwi and thinks she is dreadful.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

Woolfe is another good candidate
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Re cricket - Stokes v Samuels was cracking entertainment. Can wait until Samuels bats tomorrow.
  • Options

tyson said:

Stereo- I have now tried reading your reply three times. It is far too late for my meagre brain to get around this kind of mathematical calculation. I think you sound right, but that is just because I am too lazy to try and really understand it all.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    I have been yougoved.

I have changed my party affinity to see I can budge the damn thing!

First question asked if I had a postal vote and whether I had used it. Before going on to quite a few questions on preferred coalitions etc.
  • Options
    LestuhLestuh Posts: 50
    isam said:

isam said:

Previous survation by election polls (small sample) overestimated Ukips lead by exactly 20%
    Absolutely. I think this poll is a double-edged sword. It does suggest Farage is well in the lead, even when you strip out the Survation house effects. But it may not be a big enough lead to counteract an 'anyone but Ukip' vote now there is one clear challenger.
  • Options

MP_SE said:

And Diane James
  • Options
    Well this will be interesting...

Rob Ford (Britain) ‏@robfordmancs
    Better poll for Farage in Thanet from Survation, after poor one from ComRes 2 wks back. Would be useful to have another from @LordAshcroft

Lord Ashcroft ‏@LordAshcroft
    @robfordmancs I hear you Rob....
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    It really has come to something now

Tories making unfunded spending promises on the NHS
    Labour selling themselves as fiscally responsible

I could just about swallow

Now we have the SNP guy on QT seriously trying to convince us they are interested in policies for the whole of the UK!

• Options
    tyson said:

Is she not a Kiwi?

Someone below got it right, we need a proper quickie who bowls at 90 mph and one aggressive opener. Not sure who that would be, maybe Hales?

I think we need a leg spinner, Borthwick or Rashid, Root and Ballance can bowl off spin. Would love to see a left arm bowler such as Underwood but not many like him these days!
  • Options

MP_SE said:

UKIP have quite a few solid candidates, Steven Woolfe, Paul Nuttall, Suzanne Evans, Diane Evans and Douglas Carswell.

I would personally like to see either Woolfe or Nuttall as next leader.

Quite spoilt when you consider Labour and the Tories don't have a great many decent candidates to chose from.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Is she not a Kiwi?

She is a British citizen now, born in Sydney.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    edited April 2015
    ComRes is:

Con 35.78
    Lab 32.42

Lead 3.36

Fully aware it's false precision but does paint slightly different picture.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    NoEasyDay said:

I'm beginning think Dave is really a lucky General, useless campaign, stupid promises on immigration, lazy, overconfident and not very bright.

Along comes Sturgeon and pompous Salmond and save his bacon with their astonishing hubris.

The SNP saying they would vote on some English matters was always going to help the Tories as Sturgeon and Salmond probably calculated.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Oh dear Harriett on QT. It is kind of like watching Mohammed Ali in his last fights- well not quite but you get what I mean. She should have been out out to pasture a few moons ago mind.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

James Chapman (Mail) ‏@jameschappers ·
    EXC PM warns Ukip voters: don't let in Lab government that will deny EU referendum + allow "uncontrolled immigration

So, just like the Cameroons then.

If Dave thinks that 300k net immigration is "controlled" then I'll some of whatever he's smoking.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited April 2015
    MP_SE said:

MP_SE said:

UKIP have quite a few solid candidates, Steven Woolfe, Paul Nuttall, Suzanne Evans, Diane Evans and Douglas Carswell.

Quite spoilt when you consider Labour and the Tories don't have a great many decent candidates to chose from.
    Poor old pig dog... The runt of the kipper litter.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

ComRes is:

Con 35.78
    Lab 32.42

Lead 3.36

Fully aware it's false precision but does paint slightly different picture.

Scotland distorting the picture slightly vtoo.
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
  • Options

MP_SE said:

MP_SE said:

Poor old pig dog...
    Intelligent chap but not leadership material.
  • Options
    Lestuh said:

isam said:

isam said:

Absolutely. I think this poll is a double-edged sword. It does suggest Farage is well in the lead, even when you strip out the Survation house effects. But it may not be a big enough lead to counteract an 'anyone but Ukip' vote now there is one clear challenger.
    I can honestly say as a political nerd who supports Ukip v strongly I am not the least bit worried about the 'anyone but Ukip' vote

Won't happen
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,821
    Nuttall talking about Tories £25bn Magic Money Tree Black Hole
  • Options

MP_SE said:

MP_SE said:

Poor old pig dog...
    Reckless needs a decent syrup if he wants to win. A better speaker than the above though.
  • Options
    JEO said:
    This is sickening. I wouldn't be suprised if the security services are crawling all over CAGE so goodness knows why the NUS want to get into bed with them.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

MP_SE said:

Does Nuttall just wear glasses for show? I'm just watching QT and there's no refraction or diffraction as far as I can see.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

JEO said:
    This is sickening. I wouldn't be suprised if the security services are crawling all over CAGE so goodness knows why the NUS want to get into bed with them.
    The security services recruit at university. If I were in CAGE I would run a mile from the NUS.
  • Options

tyson said:

Is she not a Kiwi?

She is a British citizen now, born in Sydney.
    Thanks for the clarification Fox.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    I'm watching the final Hobbit movie. One of the good things about the Peter Jackson Tolkein films is that they are so incredibly slow paced you can disappear for 10 minutes and know you won't miss anything.
  • Options

MP_SE said:

JEO said:
    The security services recruit at university. If I were in CAGE I would run a mile from the NUS.
    As long as they avoid Oxbridge they should be fine.
    Lestuh said:

MP_SE said:

MP_SE said:

Does Nuttall just wear glasses for show? I'm just watching QT and there's no refraction or diffraction as far as I can see.
    That would be quite funny.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

I'm watching the final Hobbit movie. One of the good things about the Peter Jackson Tolkein films is that they are so incredibly slow paced you can disappear for 10 minutes and know you won't miss anything.

Hey Tim

According to my colleagues Tebow fever is gripping the city (or something)
  • Options
    edited April 2015

tyson said:

Is she not a Kiwi?

Someone below got it right, we need a proper quickie who bowls at 90 mph and one aggressive opener. Not sure who that would be, maybe Hales?

I think we need a leg spinner, Borthwick or Rashid, Root and Ballance can bowl off spin. Would love to see a left arm bowler such as Underwood but not many like him these days!
    Good call on Hales. I'd have blooded Lyth in this series, he'd have had 5 tests to get his feet under the table before the Ashes. England are always conservative in their selection: will the Aussies fear Trott? No way.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,576
    England will have its own rate of income tax within one year under Conservative plans to ensure that Scottish Labour and SNP MPs are never able to “dictate” what happens south of the border, William Hague has said.
    Mr Hague will on Friday unveil the Conservative Party’s English manifesto alongside David Cameron to ensure that Scottish MPs can no longer have a deciding say on rates of taxation for English families.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/william-hague/11559458/William-Hague-pledges-income-tax-rate-just-for-England-to-take-power-away-from-Scots.html
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

I have been yougoved.

I have changed my party affinity to see I can budge the damn thing!

First question asked if I had a postal vote and whether I had used it. Before going on to quite a few questions on preferred coalitions etc.

Am I the only poster on pb.com NOT signed up to YouGov?

Explains much. Seriously broken, I'm thinking.

Anecdote alert: Just had dinner with a leftie ex-teacher.

He's voting Tory.

This election is just getting too weird......
  • Options
    This chap speaking in the audience right now is one of those that will never vote anything other than Con or Labour I reckon.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    Saltire I still think Murphy will cling on with Tory tactical voting, to lead a rump of about 10-15 Labour MPs and prepare for Holyrood next year, in the debates he performed OK
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656

England will have its own rate of income tax within one year under Conservative plans to ensure that Scottish Labour and SNP MPs are never able to “dictate” what happens south of the border, William Hague has said.
    Mr Hague will on Friday unveil the Conservative Party’s English manifesto alongside David Cameron to ensure that Scottish MPs can no longer have a deciding say on rates of taxation for English families.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/william-hague/11559458/William-Hague-pledges-income-tax-rate-just-for-England-to-take-power-away-from-Scots.html

That seems to be moving in the right direction, but why do English MPs just get a "veto"? Do the non-English MPs also get a vote at some stage? Why don't the English get the only vote?
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

You know when those eagles that flew in and saved Frodo out of Mount Doom at the very end of part three (after watching nearly nine hours of film in total). Why weren't those very same eagles given the ring in the first place- they could have flown across and dropped it in. No fuss. Would have saved us all three, tortuous films. Could have been cut down to a five minute short.
  • Options
    Lestuh said:

MP_SE said:

MP_SE said:

Probably varifocals. I have a pair with no real distance correction that I wear as an alternative to forgetting a pair of readers. His are probably the same.
  • Options
    jahodgesjahodges Posts: 12
    NB gets the last word! She'll be pleased!
  • Options
    @JakeReesMogg: I have been desperately trying to identify Mr Nuttall's Old Boy's tie. Is it Harrovian, Haighleyburian or Recent Hogwartian? #bbcqt
  • Options
    If I were to tell you there was a phone poll out tomorrow, what would you guess the lead to be and for whom?

If I were to tell you there was an online poll out tomorrow, what would you guess the lead to be and for whom?

If your answers are about 5% apart, join the club. And averaging the two probably isn't that sound - it's likely that one method is wrong. Which?
  • Options

Lestuh said:

MP_SE said:

MP_SE said:

Probably varifocals. I have a pair with no real distance correction that I wear as an alternative to forgetting a pair of readers. His are probably the same.
    Perhaps. He doesn't look down at his notes in the way that you might expect.

By the way, are you an LCFC supporter?
  • Options
    Regarding UKIP leadership: I guess it might depend on how many MPs they get. If Farage loses in Thanet and UKIP get 1-3/4(ish) MPs, then a leader who is not in the Commons is entirely reasonable. If Farage loses but UKIP gain 4/5(ish)+ MPs then it would start to make sense to have a leader picked from the group of MPs to direct play in the Commons.
  • Options
    Lestuh said:

Lestuh said:

MP_SE said:

MP_SE said:

Perhaps. He doesn't look down at his notes in the way that you might expect.

By the way, are you an LCFC supporter?
    Yep. Season ticket in the East Stand.

I recognise your accent!
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    tyson said:

Tim_B said:

You know when those eagles that flew in and saved Frodo out of Mount Doom at the very end of part three (after watching nearly nine hours of film in total). Why weren't those very same eagles given the ring in the first place- they could have flown across and dropped it in. No fuss. Would have saved us all three, tortuous films. Could have been cut down to a five minute short.
    Because the whole point of the entire balls aching trilogy is that the ring corrupts its possessor and that if you give it to someone all dominant and powerful in the first place like an eagle they become satanically evil Dark Lords, which is a bad thing.

I can't be arsed to explain why giving it to a hobbit is relatively OK. RTFB.
  • Options

If I were to tell you there was a phone poll out tomorrow, what would you guess the lead to be and for whom?

If I were to tell you there was an online poll out tomorrow, what would you guess the lead to be and for whom?

If your answers are about 5% apart, join the club. And averaging the two probably isn't that sound - it's likely that one method is wrong. Which?

I think it'll all come out in the wash you know. This ain't 1992 when all the polls failed to capture the Tory vote for the whole length of the campaign.
  • Options
    Ed Miliband 1.76 to lay for PM, Tories 1.38 most seats

So we have 72% Most seats, 43% Dave PM

That gap is too big !
  • Options

tyson said:

Is she not a Kiwi?

Good call on Hales. I'd have blooded Lyth in this series, he'd have had 5 tests to get his feet under the table before the Ashes. England are always conservative in their selection: will the Aussies fear Trott? No way.
    Carberry was discarded too quickly, he did better than most in Australia.

I once spoke to Nasser at a dinner when KP was starting out and he told us what a ghastly character he is, but KP may have had a point about the cliques in the team. Both Carberry and Compton before him were chucked out with no real justification.
  • Options
    Andrew Neil putting the vicious boot into Sir John M. I mean vicious, really vicious
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,153
    JEO said:
    Oh for crying out loud! It makes me despair. It really does.

• Options
    tyson said:

I think it'll all come out in the wash you know. This ain't 1992 when all the polls failed to capture the Tory vote for the whole length of the campaign.
    Well we won't know that until after the election either, by definition!
  • Options
    Neil: "Is there anything in the SNP manifesto you didn't like?"
    Abbott: [laughs]
    Neil: "And the alliance has begun!"
This discussion has been closed.