Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Labour leader at the general election betting

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited August 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Labour leader at the general election betting

Ladbrokes have a market up on who will be the Labour leader at the next general election. This is an interesting market, because you can see scenarios that whoever wins in September ends up being replaced before the next election.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Why is there more chance of him being removed?

I do think Corbyn may be value, but the prolonged time frame puts me off.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517
    It'll be Corbyn or a.n.other not on that list.

Too many of the have connections to previous regimes, or to this leadership contest. If Corbyn fails, it'll be in the next two or three years, and Jarvis's reasons for not standing this time will probably still be valid.
  • Why is there more chance of him being removed?

'Cause Al Campbell says so

Labour's new leader has three years to prove themselves or they must be ruthlessly toppled, says Alastair Campbell

http://dailym.ai/1MVKizO
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited August 2015
    Totally off-topic, but if you have 10 minutes this is a fascinating article about the murky world of social media and click farming. I thought I knew quite a bit about this world, but actually after reading the article, I realised I only knew a tiny fraction of what is going on.

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/121551/bot-bubble-click-farms-have-inflated-social-media-currency
    Mr. Eagles, three years to mass destruction?
  • PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Will side-splitting surgery be available on the NHS?

Mr. Eagles, three years to mass destruction?

• It's not even just Campbell who has said this. A second contest has been talked about by MPs practically since the leadership contest began.

Labour know they are most likely electing a dud, either way out of this lot.
  • Stephen Kinnock imo.
    Indeed. Rife speculation about a coup if Corbyn wins, and Meh about the rest - and still talk of DavidM says this leadership won't be over whomever wins.

It's not even just Campbell who has said this. A second contest has been talked about by MPs practically since the leadership contest began.

Labour know they are most likely electing a dud, either way out of this lot.

• TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    So in comparison: now/GE
    Burnham: 2.62/3.25
    Corbyn: 2.25/5
    Cooper: 3.75/5.5

I reckon Burnham and Cooper would stay the course... but who wants to wait 5 years?
  • foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Too many of the have connections to previous regimes, or to this leadership contest. If Corbyn fails, it'll be in the next two or three years, and Jarvis's reasons for not standing this time will probably still be valid.

I think Jezza is a safer bet for leader at 2.85 ish as at present. Too much can happen before 2020. I did plug Stella at 33/1 on Friday and again this morning. She looks like having a strong show (at least) in the deputy market and seems to have TV appeal as well as not annoying too many on the PLP or CLP.
    Which grey beards have offspring pitching for a seat/political career?

Kinnock Jnr and Straw Jnr for sure - is Euan Blair another one? Anyone else?

Stephen Kinnock imo.

• alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    I think there's a bit of over-emphasis on the "electability" of Corbyn as being the main problem for Labour MPs. I have no doubt that a significant chunk of the Labour Party actually fundamentally disagree with him and think his policies would be a disaster for the country if he ever got a chance to implement them. Blairism wasn't simply about getting elected however much it is often characterised as being so. The critics of Corbyn aren't helping themselves by failing to make this distinction.

In many ways this means that Corbyn is not an "IDS" figure. It was IDS the man that did for him, not necessarily that his policy platform didn't have significant support within the Tory Party. If he had been electorally successful then the Tory Party would have been pretty content, for many in Labour i reckon an electorally successful Corbyn is their worst nightmare.
    edited August 2015

I think Jezza is a safer bet for leader at 2.85 ish as at present. Too much can happen before 2020. I did plug Stella at 33/1 on Friday and again this morning. She looks like having a strong show (at least) in the deputy market and seems to have TV appeal as well as not annoying too many on the PLP or CLP.
    Watson is worth a punt too. As probable Deputy Leader he would be interm leader after any defenestration, and has his dirty tricks and machine behind him.
  • OT Fantastic win for The Hammers to open the Season. I was really pleased when they got rid of Allardyce and got Bilic in as manager so it is great to see such a good opening result for them.
    HMG bored with fracking delays and will override local councils that are seen to be dragging their feet http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/environment/article4521824.ece
  • rullkorullko Posts: 161
    FPT

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Given that Cooper and Burnham are trying their best to say nothing and Kendall seems to have given up completely, all the evidence is surely saying that Corbyn could actually be about to win this!!

There seems to be little doubt about that now.

Bluntly, Corbyn has campaigned better, shown he wants it, been willing to speak out, and has taken risks in order to promote himself. He is well organised and has a huge number of enthused volunteers to make up for what he appears to lack in funding. He also has a highly seductive message, regardless of its merits.

Kendall has done most of that, but unfortunately she has been telling Labour some hard truths that they appear simply unwilling to hear at this stage.

Burnham and Cooper - the most charitable thing that can be said about them is that they don't appear to care who wins.

This leadership election has been a humiliating shambles for the Labour party - made worse by the fact that many people within the party appear to be living in the naive hope that it is galvanising politics in their favour.

As I have been saying for a while now, Labour is the Stupid Party.
    I dunno - they're certainly making a pig's ear of this, but at least they didn't all fall over themselves to wave pom-poms for the Iraq war because Tony Blair seemed like such an honest guy. I wonder how 2005 would've gone if IDS and Michael Howard, and almost all their MPs, hadn't been such suckers.
  • MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/dutch-soldiers-are-shouting-bang-bang-because-theyve-run-out-of-bullets-10442332.html

Bang, bang; he shot me down.
    Bang, bang; I hit the ground.
    Bang, bang! that awful sound,
    because we have no ammunition.
  • SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Labour don't do 'men in grey suits' - should an unpopular Corbyn be leader in 3 years, who hands him the glass of whisky and a revolver? - Or does Lord Prescot just sit on him...

So in comparison: now/GE
    Burnham: 2.62/3.25
    Corbyn: 2.25/5
    Cooper: 3.75/5.5

I reckon Burnham and Cooper would stay the course... but who wants to wait 5 years?

Burnham, the Zombie and a grubby one at that
    Cooper, the Robot that is tarnished in her joints
    Corbyn, Mein fuhrer in the making, should he get power.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,771
    Plato said:

HMG bored with fracking delays and will override local councils that are seen to be dragging their feet http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/environment/article4521824.ece

With the current price of oil (and consequently natural gas), fracking in the UK does not make commercial sense.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWrnt7xv1lA
    MikeK said:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/dutch-soldiers-are-shouting-bang-bang-because-theyve-run-out-of-bullets-10442332.html

Bang, bang; he shot me down.
    Bang, bang; I hit the ground.
    Bang, bang! that awful sound,
    because we have no ammunition.

• AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    rcs1000 said:

Plato said:

With the current price of oil (and consequently natural gas), fracking in the UK does not make commercial sense.
    Maybe we ought to do it anyway it preparation for a possible rise in oil prices in the future.
    And if Cuadrilla want to pay for it - why not?
    AndyJS said:

rcs1000 said:

Plato said:

Maybe we ought to do it anyway it preparation for a possible rise in oil prices in the future.
    edited August 2015
    FPT:

Ms. Apocalypse, 'society' is 50/50 men and women, it's worth recalling.

And I still don't see why women cared. What was the problem?

On you're first point: I don't see why that matters. Society has always been 50/50 women and men, yet women have historically not even been valued as men's equal.

On the women caring: I guess they felt advert reflects the pressure of women to achieve an 'ideal' body type.
    "Not valued" by whom exactly? By men, or by women?
    AndyJS said:

rcs1000 said:

Plato said:

That's the job of private companies using their own money.

It's not the job of the government.
    Plato said:

And if Cuadrilla want to pay for it - why not?

AndyJS said:

rcs1000 said:

Plato said:

I don't think they have very much money left.
  • AndyJS said:

FPT:

Ms. Apocalypse, 'society' is 50/50 men and women, it's worth recalling.

And I still don't see why women cared. What was the problem?

On you're first point: I don't see why that matters. Society has always been 50/50 women and men, yet women have historically not even been valued as men's equal.

On the women caring: I guess they felt advert reflects the pressure of women to achieve an 'ideal' body type.
    "Not valued" by whom exactly? By men, or by women?
    Seemingly by both - unless pre 20th century, women thought themselves as equal but felt they couldn't do anything about it.
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,279
    Labour so emasculated, that Ed Balls isn't on this list.
    Didn't internment end some time ago?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-33840428
  • rogerhrogerh Posts: 282
    I notice T Blair is 100-1.Given a likely whitewash from Chilcot and his recent interest in Labour's future could he be planning to ride to the rescue before the next GE?
  • rcs1000 said:

Plato said:

The current price of oil has little to do with it. It is the expected price of oil that matters. And the big consequence of the current low oil price has been investment by the service companies in technology which is dramatically reducing the cost per barrel of onshore exploration - which was already a fraction of the price of offshore drilling. This is why Saudi Arabia is losing the current oil war and will eventually have to give up attempting to break the US fracking industry.
  • It'll be Corbyn or a.n.other not on that list.

Watson is worth a punt too. As probable Deputy Leader he would be interm leader after any defenestration, and has his dirty tricks and machine behind him.
    Mrs Mensch has been tweeting for ages that Tom W is the likely next leader post corbyn in her view so she's with you on this. Not a bad shout - his decision to step down from Ed M's Labour gang a few years ago was probably astute too.
  • Tom Watson? Hahahaha I'd rather bring Brown back than suffer that. JFC, Watson makes Corbyn look amazing.
    About halfway through this video. What an arrogant arse Yentob is:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jESzCHdWoAU
    Plato said:
    "No" only ahead in the over 65's, in DE SE group, and in kipper voters. Scotland much the same as rUK.

Nonetheless good value at 4 in Betfair, it is sure to get tighter as the euro-ref gets closer.

The massive lead for "Yes" with the youngsters may be decisive if Corbynmania gets them engaged in politics and off the sofa.

edited August 2015

Didn't need to watch the video to know that :-)

£165 million has gone into Kids Company and they couldn't show any benefit...and they have gone tits up...that a s##t tonne of money, where did it all go?
    Mr. Urquhart, not seen much of Yentob prior to that video, which appears to have been a blessing.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614

Didn't need to watch the video to know that :-)

£165 million has gone into Kids Company and they couldn't show any benefit...and they have gone tits up...that a s##t tonne of money, where did it all go?
    Was there not a benefit to the drug dealers of London every Friday?
    edited August 2015

Mr. Urquhart, not seen much of Yentob prior to that video, which appears to have been a blessing.

A massively over-promoted arrogant arse that has only known the bubble-ified world of the BBC for his whole adult life.

For somebody who has spent so long in the media, you would think he could do a better interview than that. Raised voice, wagging finger, arrogant tone, not a good look / feel for an interview.

Also, his excuses are such BS...we couldn't take anybodies money anymore, because there have been allegations, which I don't know what they are, but I am sure they are untrue....great logic there, that probably why only managed a crappy 2:2 at uni.
    rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:

rcs1000 said:

Plato said:

That's the job of private companies using their own money.

It's not the job of the government.
    Is the issue not of planning rather than funding though, i.e. that the councils are being 'lobbied' by Greenie troublemakers to oppose any fracking on principle?

Plato said:
    "No" only ahead in the over 65's, in DE SE group, and in kipper voters. Scotland much the same as rUK.

Nonetheless good value at 4 in Betfair, it is sure to get tighter as the euro-ref gets closer.

The massive lead for "Yes" with the youngsters may be decisive if Corbynmania gets them engaged in politics and off the sofa.

I doubt Corbyn-mania will increase the turnout in any types of election or referendum.

Mrs Mensch has been tweeting for ages that Tom W is the likely next leader post corbyn in her view so she's with you on this. Not a bad shout - his decision to step down from Ed M's Labour gang a few years ago was probably astute too.
    Fox's ostriches (and LCFC) top of their leagues. Enjoying the moment...

Tom Watson? Hahahaha I'd rather bring Brown back than suffer that. JFC, Watson makes Corbyn look amazing.

I think that you have to bear in mind that Labour do have a habit of picking duffers as leaders!

• MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    Someone needs to give Mr Yentob some media training. Good grief.

• HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709

Plato said:

Though Corbyn could back No
    Party leaders reported to have reached informal deal to extend next Holyrood parly from four years to five to avoid clashing with GE2020

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/scotland/article4521316.ece
  • Someone needs to give Mr Yentob some media training. Good grief.

Nearly 50 years working for the BBC, not sure much hope that the training will help :-)
  • Any PBers heard of the Trump controversy r.e his Megyn Kelly comments?

You can't make this up. Nor can I seriously believe there are people out there who actively LIKE this man.
    HYUFD said:

Plato said:

He will back Yes.
  • HYUFD said:

Plato said:

Corbyn said a short-while ago he'd be backing Yes.

You can't make this up. Nor can I seriously believe there are people out there who actively LIKE this man.

You wonder if he actually does this stuff on purpose, an American version of Nigel Farage.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,751
    Plato said:

Party leaders reported to have reached informal deal to extend next Holyrood parly from four years to five to avoid clashing with GE2020

Does that apply to Wales, Northern Ireland and London as well?
    Gross and urgh. It's so juvenile too.

Any PBers heard of the Trump controversy r.e his Megyn Kelly comments?

Only Scotland mentioned in article.
    ydoethur said:

Plato said:

Does that apply to Wales, Northern Ireland and London as well?

New NBC post-debate poll

Trump 23%
    Cruz 13%
    Carson 11%
    Fiorina 8%
    Rubio 8%
    https://mobile.twitter.com/rwwilmington/status/630387473953226752
    edited August 2015
    I wonder how Yentob will fare if, as expected, he is called to explain himself in front of the Public Accounts Committee?

Is he going to spend hours screaming "but think of the kiddies" or "there was no financial mismanagement", whenever a tough question is asked?

You wonder if he actually does this stuff on purpose, an American version of Nigel Farage.
    Trump actually makes Farage look moderate. Not even Farage would say:

“You could see there was blood coming out of her eyes, blood coming out of her wherever.”

The worst Farage has said is his breastfeeding comments.

There are some who thought that Kelly was acting on behalf of the GOP establishment to get Trump out. But I think that this kind of stuff will make him even more popular with the GOP base. FGS, his poll ratings rose after his McCain comments!
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,765
    Plato said:

He thinks there's no such thing as bad publicity.
  • OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469

Why is there more chance of him being removed?

'Cause Al Campbell says so

Labour's new leader has three years to prove themselves or they must be ruthlessly toppled, says Alastair Campbell

http://dailym.ai/1MVKizO
    Interesting, wonder which person on the Daily Mail has the death wish? Either Paul Dacre or Alistair Campbell is going to whack them. PD for giving space to AC or AC cos he's a story in his not favourite paper.

Must admit a preference for PD to be carted off to the funny farm.
  • @HYUFD I knew it, lol (see my previous post). What a joke.

rcs1000 said:

Plato said:

The current price of oil has little to do with it. It is the expected price of oil that matters. And the big consequence of the current low oil price has been investment by the service companies in technology which is dramatically reducing the cost per barrel of onshore exploration - which was already a fraction of the price of offshore drilling. This is why Saudi Arabia is losing the current oil war and will eventually have to give up attempting to break the US fracking industry.
    I don't disagree with any of that.

Nevertheless, Cuadrilla (and the other would be UK drillers) are all small companies reliant on finding investors to pay for their drilling. With oil today at $55, those investors are scarce.

• rullkorullko Posts: 161
    Alan Yentob is the embodiment of every stereotype about the BBC.
    edited August 2015

“You could see there was blood coming out of her eyes, blood coming out of her wherever.”

There are some who thought that Kelly was acting on behalf of the GOP establishment to get Trump out. But I think that this kind of stuff will make him even more popular with the GOP base. FGS, his poll ratings rose after his McCain comments!
    My analogy is more that it seems there is a significant percentage of Americans who are sick of what they see as the "establishment" figures, e.g the Clinton's and the Bush's of this world. Farage polling I believe was built on a similar premise, anybody but those current ex-Oxbridge, ex-SPADs, never had a proper job, never really say what they think tw@ts.

If Trump's actual numbers go the same way as Farage is not is another question.
    He really needs to leave that pointy finger at home. And the I'm So Much Cleverer Than You attitude.
    rullko said:

Alan Yentob is the embodiment of every stereotype about the BBC.

• The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited August 2015
    Plato said:

I don't understand his attitude in regard to that. If women didn't menstruate, well - about 7 billion people wouldn't be here. It's vital that women do, and yet by idiots like Trump it's used as some kind of insult.

OT Watching the Bachelorette now. Quite sad how her daughter's dad died. Somehow, I don't think these kinds of shows offer the 'love for life' type she's looking for though.

He's the F'in Creative F'in Director of the F'in BBC, for F's sake!!!!!
    He must have had literally years of media training, what exactly do they F'in pay him 300k for, and who the F is accountable for the decision to pay him that F'in much for a part time F'in job..???

And relax...
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    rogerh said:

I notice T Blair is 100-1.Given a likely whitewash from Chilcot and his recent interest in Labour's future could he be planning to ride to the rescue before the next GE?

How much do you want ?

I'll go 200s for you.
    Ms. Apocalypse, heard about the 'bimbo' comment the other day, the 'blood' comment today. I know he gets off on controversy, but I fear he may have overcooked his goose with that particular obnoxious utterance.
    Miss Plato, are you suggesting Yentob has excessive intellectual self-confidence?
  • Sandpit said:

He's the F'in Creative F'in Director of the F'in BBC, for F's sake!!!!!
    He must have had literally years of media training, what exactly do they F'in pay him 300k for, and who the F is accountable for the decision to pay him that F'in much for a part time F'in job..???

And relax...
    All due to the unique way the BBC is funded...
    I winced when the guys introduced themselves - some were fab - others, I wanted to bite my knuckles.

Next episode looks like a corker.

Plato said:

I don't understand his attitude in regard to that. If women didn't menstruate, well - about 7 billion people wouldn't be here. It's vital that women do, and yet by idiots like Trump it's used as some kind of insult.

OT Watching the Bachelorette now. Quite sad how her daughter's dad died. Somehow, I don't think these kinds of shows offer the 'love for life' type she's looking for though.
  • The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited August 2015

My analogy is more that it seems there is a significant percentage of Americans who are sick of what they see as the "establishment" figures, e.g the Clinton's and the Bush's of this world. Farage polling I believe was built on a similar premise, anybody but those current ex-Oxbridge, ex-SPADs, never had a proper job, never really say what they think tw@ts.

There's a difference though to not being 'PC' to making comments which are actually racist and misogynistic. I understand being fed up with establishment types - I think most across the West probably are. What I think it less understandable is having any kind of sympathy with comments like ''Mexicans are rapists (but 'some' might be good people)'' and his Kelly comments.

Then again I find a lot of GOP views weird. There's apparently one candidate who thinks abortion = murder.
    edited August 2015

@HYUFD I knew it, lol (see my previous post). What a joke.

Yep, Teflon Trump and now his closest rival is Ted Cruz!!! That is like Farage v Barry Goldwater
    edited August 2015
    I fully believe it's possible to win medals clean. I'm extremely fortunate to have my mum - 1991 World Championship 10,000m gold medallist Liz McColgan - as a clear example of that.

Her training diaries are concrete proof of the hard work and sacrifices she made in order to win major titles.

Winning clean is possible - it's just made a lot more difficult, against opposition willing to take the easy route.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/33841145

This is a lovely attitude, but if drug cheating is as wide as is being suggested by the Sunday Times / German broadcasters investigations over the past 2 years, it just isn't true. You can't beat people who are pumped up on EPO, HGH, etc, the likes of EPO allow them to train harder for longer than would be otherwise humanly possible.

Lance Armstrong didn't take "the easy route", he took stuff that allowed him to punish his body harder and for longer and refresh himself with clean blood in order to rinse and repeat.
    Who was the weak-faced curly haired guy Christie rammed up against?

I've not seen him before or never noticed.
    HYUFD said:

Yep, Teflon Trump and now his closest rival is Ted Cruz!!! That is like Farage v Barry Goldwater
    edited August 2015

At this rate it could end up Trump v Sanders, not Bush v Clinton!
    edited August 2015

There's a difference though to not being 'PC' to making comments which are actually racist and misogynistic. I understand being fed up with establishment types - I think most across the West probably are. What I think it less understandable is having any kind of sympathy with comments like ''Mexicans are rapists (but 'some' might be good people)'' and his Kelly comments.

Then again I find a lot of GOP views weird. There's apparently one candidate who thinks abortion = murder.
    I don't disagree with you in terms of us looking in from Western Europe i.e many GOP people seem very weird, but I was just making the point of perhaps why despite saying all this stuff he has said, he polls well.

Farage plays a similar "I am the outsider and I say stuff different to the clones", but knows where the line is in the UK and it is radically different position than in the US.

HYUFD said:

Plato said:

Can you imagine any rabid left winger not wanting a big taste of the EU gravy train?
    The EU is mothers milk to left wing socialists. And a big dollop of syrup for most of the other political elite.

No, Corbyn, and a Corbyn dominated Labour party will want to get his/it's snout deep into the EU trough.
  • @Plato I know right? Some are so try-hard. One of the worst was 'Joe'. The way he cried out 'EM-IL-Y' was insufferable.

Ms. Apocalypse, heard about the 'bimbo' comment the other day, the 'blood' comment today. I know he gets off on controversy, but I fear he may have overcooked his goose with that particular obnoxious utterance.

I didn't even know about his bimbo comment - I can't keep up with all these Trumpisms!

The Democrats will have gone to heaven if the GOP elect Trump. I don't think they will, but the biggest shocker on the cards seems to be Bush not getting the nomination.
  • Plato said:

Trump was once a golfing buddy of Salmond's. I can well imagine the vile banter.
    I believe they've since fallen out over a business dispute.
    Ms. Apocalypse, you can't be surprised by the noxious emanations of Trump :p
    edited August 2015
    Oh and the guy who brought the glass slipper on a cushion?! Or the one with the boombox?

She was so lovely Southern Belle polite and I could feel her Ewww when saying Lovely to meet you... as she peeled another one off. BTW, what was the egg? The guy chosen last kept cradling it.

@Plato I know right? Some are so try-hard. One of the worst was 'Joe'. The way he cried out 'EM-IL-Y' was insufferable.

I didn't even know about his bimbo comment - I can't keep up with all these Trumpisms!

The Democrats will have gone to heaven if the GOP elect Trump. I don't think they will, but the biggest shocker on the cards seems to be Bush not getting the nomination.
  • MikeK said:

HYUFD said:

Plato said:

Can you imagine any rabid left winger not wanting a big taste of the EU gravy train?
    The EU is mothers milk to left wing socialists. And a big dollop of syrup for most of the other political elite.

No, Corbyn, and a Corbyn dominated Labour party will want to get his/it's snout deep into the EU trough.
    Funnily enough, historically the Left - notably Bennites were anti-EU and the Right pro-EU. Although I think Corbyn is unique among the Left these days. Most lefties after Greek Tragedy Part 3 HATE the EU. Owen Jones is a pretty good example of that.
  • SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    HYUFD said:

New NBC post-debate poll

Trump 23%
    Cruz 13%
    Carson 11%
    Fiorina 8%
    Rubio 8%
    I was right that Trump won the debate, and right to include Carson as one of the winners, Cruz probably got a bump from "God spoke to me".
    Also I was right that the "establishment" 4 (Bush, Walker, Rubio, Kasich) bombed due to excess boredom.

Trump will probably remain the frontrunner at least till Christmas.
  • Plato said:

Oh and the guy who brought the glass slipper on a cushion?! Or the one with the boombox?

She was so lovely Southern Belle polite and I could feel her Ewww when saying Lovely to meet you... as she peeled another one off. BTW, what was the egg? The guy chosen last kept cradling it.

@Plato I know right? Some are so try-hard. One of the worst was 'Joe'. The way he cried out 'EM-IL-Y' was insufferable.

OMG I've just seen the egg guy! WTH - that's so bizarre. Another one was the guy who was in some kind of costume who took it off to reveal a suit - how cheesy!
  • isamisam Posts: 40,731

Millions of African migrants pose a threat to the standard of living and social structure of the UK and the rest of Europe. Under EU laws migrants can be pretty confident that they will never be returned to their home countries, and it will not be sustainable if Europe has to absorb millions of African migrants.

There will always be a threat to the security of the Channel Tunnel as long as there are still large numbers of desperate migrants who are maurauding in Calais.

isam said:

Millions of African migrants pose a threat to the standard of living and social structure of the UK and the rest of Europe. Under EU laws migrants can be pretty confident that they will never be returned to their home countries, and it will not be sustainable if Europe has to absorb millions of African migrants.

There will always be a threat to the security of the Channel Tunnel as long as there are still large numbers of desperate migrants who are maurauding in Calais.

Which EU law would that be?

MikeK said:

HYUFD said:

Plato said:

Funnily enough, historically the Left - notably Bennites were anti-EU and the Right pro-EU. Although I think Corbyn is unique among the Left these days. Most lefties after Greek Tragedy Part 3 HATE the EU. Owen Jones is a pretty good example of that.
    The left disliked the EU in the 1970s at they thought it to be a creature of 'Trade' meaning the domination of Evil Big Business over the workers.
    In the 1990s they grew to like it, as post-Maarstricht the EU became more bureaucratic and stood up for collectivist ideals over corporate interests.
    From 1998 until 2015 they loved the EU as it stood up to the Evil Bankers.
    In the last six months they have seen that the Euro monster has hung the Greek people out to dry to keep the Euro dream alive. Now the Left are back to hating the EU.

HYUFD said:

Plato said:

He has also said he does not back the EU in its current form and wants reform
    Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

New NBC post-debate poll

Trump 23%
    Cruz 13%
    Carson 11%
    Fiorina 8%
    Rubio 8%
    I was right that Trump won the debate, and right to include Carson as one of the winners, Cruz probably got a bump from "God spoke to me".
    Also I was right that the "establishment" 4 (Bush, Walker, Rubio, Kasich) bombed due to excess boredom.

Trump will probably remain the frontrunner at least till Christmas.
    Indeed, he is presently leading polls in Iowa and NH too

MikeK said:

HYUFD said:

Plato said:

I think that's absolutely right. The Left thinks the EU has behaved incredibly badly in demanding Greece repays its debts.

Much more so than the Calais migrant crisis, this is likely to have a significant impact on the EU referendum.
    edited August 2015

MikeK said:

HYUFD said:

Plato said:

Powell was anti-EU, as was Foot and Benn. It was the centrists, Heath, Jenkins, Heseltine etc who were most pro EU
    Plato said:

HYUFD said:

Rubio? Walker? Kasich?
  • SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    HYUFD said:

At this rate it could end up Trump v Sanders, not Bush v Clinton!
    I don't see how Sanders gets it, but again he is the only one campaigning (like Corbyn).

But it was very unlikely that it would have been Bush from the start, for one his biggest weakness is being a Bush, second he makes his brother look like Einstein, and third the Romney block of 25% of voters is split towards 3-4 different candidates so Bush will only get a slice of that.

In a race so badly split with 17 candidates of all colours and tastes the one who gets more than 20-25% wins, that's how Romney did it in 2012 and that so far is Trump's strategy.
    HYUFD said:

Plato said:

HYUFD said:

Rubio? Walker? Kasich?
    Rand Paul
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    @alex. FPT

Ministerial Direction is to protect the civil servants from being blamed when they have clearly recommended contrary action.

The government as a whole acts with the authority of the Crown, and so long as it is not a breach of its Supply limitations, it can pretty much do what it likes.

The composition of government is purely at the discretion of Her Majesty's Prime Minister.

Hence resignation is, and always has been, a political decision, not one driven by law or constitution.
    That's him. Rather ferret faced, I was expecting him to look much stronger.
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Plato said:

HYUFD said:

Rubio? Walker? Kasich?
    Rand Paul
  • HYUFD said:

MikeK said:

HYUFD said:

Plato said:

Powell was anti-EU, as was Foot and Benn. It was the centrists, Heath, Jenkins, Heseltine etc who were most pro EU
    Not to forget the anti- Common Market entry Welsh firebrand Neil Kinnock.
  • rcs1000 said:

I think that's absolutely right. The Left thinks the EU has behaved incredibly badly in demanding Greece repays its debts.

Much more so than the Calais migrant crisis, this is likely to have a significant impact on the EU referendum.

I think so too - it could, perhaps allow Cameron to portray a pro-EU position as centrist, and moderate in contrast to the hard Left and the hard Right having a NO position. Another consequence it could have is polarising the YES side of the debate. By having completely different ideas as to what kind of EU they want (Cameron's Tories vs centre left), the YES side could be more divided than the NO side.

For the record, I think the Left's response to the Greek crisis has been beyond delusional and is illustrative of the place it's at right now.