Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Is Corbyn inevitable, unelectable and what happens next for

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited August 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Is Corbyn inevitable, unelectable and what happens next for Labour? The latest PB/Polling Matters podcast

In this week’s PB/Polling Matters podcasts, Keiran discusses the Labour leadership with Stephen Bush of the New Statesman and Laurence Janta-Lipinski of YouGov. We ask whether Jeremy Corbyn is inevitable, where Labour goes from here and whether Corbyn could surprise people if he wins. Also, can a non-left Labour candidate win the leadership again and what does the next Labour PM look like..

Read the full story here

Comments

• Thanks for this Keiran
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited August 2015
    Why do Harry's local election threads only get about 30 seconds before being superseded?
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,840
    The local electiopn thread should be merged with this one.
  • DairDair Posts: 6,108
    Corbyn would be in a much better electoral position if he backed Scottish Independence.
  • tysontyson Posts: 6,049
    I very dare you do two threads. The other thread discusses a bye election in Orkney- surely the most important political event of the millennia. How could you even begin to think of distracting us from this?
  • DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106
    Dair said:

Corbyn would be in a much better electoral position if he backed Scottish Independence.

Well, he would sweep England for a start! :wink:
  • isamisam Posts: 40,721
    edited August 2015
    Doublespeak deciphered: Andrew Lansley dares to reveal the truth about David Cameron's EU plan

"It is no secret that politicians use one sort of language in public and another when talking among themselves. For public consumption, everything a politician does is driven by a high-minded desire to do what is right. In private, they acknowledge that low calculation and partisan interest pervade the political process.

When Andrew Lansley was a Cabinet minister, from 2010 to 2014, he remembered how to choose his words carefully in public. Since retiring from the Commons in May, he seems to have forgotten the rules of political doublespeak. Talking to business leaders, he laid bare the tactics that he believes David Cameron will adopt in the run-up to the referendum on British membership in the European Union which Lansley anticipates will be held in September next year.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/editorials/doublespeak-deciphered-andrew-lansley-dares-to-reveal-the-truth-about-david-camerons-eu-plan-10459808.html
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,755
    edited August 2015
    isam said:

Doublespeak deciphered: Andrew Lansley dares to reveal the truth about David Cameron's EU plan

"It is no secret that politicians use one sort of language in public and another when talking among themselves. For public consumption, everything a politician does is driven by a high-minded desire to do what is right. In private, they acknowledge that low calculation and partisan interest pervade the political process.

When Andrew Lansley was a Cabinet minister, from 2010 to 2014, he remembered how to choose his words carefully in public. Since retiring from the Commons in May, he seems to have forgotten the rules of political doublespeak. Talking to business leaders, he laid bare the tactics that he believes David Cameron will adopt in the run-up to the referendum on British membership in the European Union which Lansley anticipates will be held in September next year.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/editorials/doublespeak-deciphered-andrew-lansley-dares-to-reveal-the-truth-about-david-camerons-eu-plan-10459808.html

Unwise of Lansley to be so blunt. The point about good PR is that the audience shouldn't realise it's PR.
  • SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    isam said:

That's not news, everyone expects the worst from Cameron not the best.
  • david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,401
    Dair said:

Why?
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Why?

It's a line the SNP have been pushing lately. Pete Wishart is all over it.
    Is Corbyn inevitable
    Yes.
    unelectable
    Yes.
    and what happens next for Labour?
    Much infighting, irrelevant policy discussion, battles over reselections, party rule changes - followed by defeat. If they are lucky, they might find someone credible to lead them for after 2020. If they're really lucky, they'll elect them.
  • JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,211
    Speedy said:

isam said:

No, just lefties like you and the kippers. That's why he's PM of a majority government and your lots, well....
  • MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    isam said:

Surely Dave wouldn't be so stupid as to create a row with France now. If one does occur it will be forever used as evidence of a stitch up.
  • HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Speedy said:

isam said:

It certainly isn't news, not least because it was in the Telegraph and discussed on here yesterday. More like Olds.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Good evening, everyone.

Cheers to Mr. Hayfield for his short-lived previous thread, and to Mr. Pedley for this. The length of the podcast means I may have to wait until tomorrow to listen to it, though.

Mr. F, an unkind soul might consider Lansley not to be the sharpest tool in the box.
    JohnO said:

Speedy said:

isam said:

No, just lefties like you and the kippers. That's why he's PM of a majority government and your lots, well....
    So you still expect Cameron to do a renegotiation or to simply fluff around on stage with the French and claim victory?
    Scott_P said:

Why?

It's a line the SNP have been pushing lately. Pete Wishart is all over it.
    By lately, is that since about 1930?

Is Corbyn inevitable
    Yes.
    unelectable
    Yes.
    and what happens next for Labour?
    Much infighting, irrelevant policy discussion, battles over reselections, party rule changes - followed by defeat. If they are lucky, they might find someone credible to lead them for after 2020. If they're really lucky, they'll elect them.

There is no reason why Labour have to exist at all, let alone have the divine right to be the opposition... they have long since betrayed the beliefs and people they formed to represent in the first place
    @ScottyNational: DWP:'I thought my career was over after I had to resign due to poor results but DWP found me a cushy London job'- A.Salmond #fakeDWPstories
    MP_SE said:

isam said:

Surely Dave wouldn't be so stupid as to create a row with France now. If one does occur it will be forever used as evidence of a stitch up.
    Would seem like that ruse has been rumbled, although if the Calais migrant crisis continues he could have a real one to deal with
  • Dair said:

Why? Surely he's in a much better electoral position if he sides with and forms a coalition with his fellow whacky moonbat unilateral nuclear disarmament far-left allies the SNP? How does cutting out the leftwing whackjobs from Northern Britain help him reach a leftwing whackjob majority?
    Apparently my Windows 10 "upgrade" (sic) is ready.

Am I?
    Mr. P, bit of a changeophobe, but I won't be getting Windows 10 until/unless I must.
  • Scott_P said:

Am I?

Upgraded my Laptop (from Win 8) to Win 10 and its performed better. So I upgraded my PC (from Win 7) to Win 10 and I'm having multiple teething problems with it.

If you're on 8 I'd say go for it, if you're on 7 I'd wait.

Dair said:

Why? Surely he's in a much better electoral position if he sides with and forms a coalition with his fellow whacky moonbat unilateral nuclear disarmament far-left allies the SNP? How does cutting out the leftwing whackjobs from Northern Britain help him reach a leftwing whackjob majority?
    That would be backing Scottish Independence wouldn't it?
  • PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    edited August 2015
    Is it faster than v8? My laptop is very slow on W8

Scott_P said:

Am I?

Upgraded my Laptop (from Win 8) to Win 10 and its performed better. So I upgraded my PC (from Win 7) to Win 10 and I'm having multiple teething problems with it.

• TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387

Scott_P said:

Am I?

I had a few problems for a few days but they seem to resolve themselves.

But I am the rare species of getting on with Windows 8 just fine...
  • valleyboyvalleyboy Posts: 605
    That's it, job done.
    Had planned to vote for a woman leader at the start but wavered big time.
    YC
    AB
    LK
    JC

and of course Caroline for deputy.
    edited August 2015
    Scott_P said:

Am I?

If you have Windows 8, go for it.
    If you have Windows 7, then no.

There is a reason why Windows 9 doesn't exist.
  • JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,211
    Speedy said:

JohnO said:

Speedy said:

isam said:

So you still expect Cameron to do a renegotiation or to simply fluff around on stage with the French and claim victory?
    Of course there will be a renegotiation and it will have to have sufficient meat for him to have any credibility in recommeding a yes vote in the referendum. Isn't that obvious?

But nothing he offers will satisfy you or the kippers, so most Conservatives don't regard either of you as a serious part of the equation.
    Miss Plato, those are really rather good. I may borrow them for Sir Edric [I try to work in Shakespeare and the odd political quote here and there].
  • foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    isam said:

I would take it with a shovelfull of salt. Lansley is just trying to tilt the playing field to the outers by his own dirty tricks.
  • calumcalum Posts: 3,046

Dair said:

Why?
    As far as I can tell Corbyn has steered well clear of the Independence debate until today when he wrote a piece for the Herald:

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/13609421.Corbyn__I_m_a_Socialist_not_a_Unionist/

Even in this article he's being a bit circumspect about his views - I've read snippets elsewhere that he is anti Home Rule and isn't a great fan of further devolution.

The first problem Corbyn is going to have to deal with in Scotland is to sort out SLAB which looks like it's about to break out into open civil war between Glasgow SLAB led by Neil Findlay and backed by the Unions and Edinburgh SLAB led by Kezia (advised by John McT and Blair McD), as they fight like ferrets in a sack for list seats.

Dair said:

Why?
    Well there seems to be a huge number of PB commentators who keep telling us that the best way to get Scottish Independence is to give England the vote. That would, in effect, give England the vote.

Scottish Independence could then be established Czechoslovakia style, with dissolution following the No vote.
  • isam said:

Dair said:

It'd help him until the day before Independence happens. After that he'd be f***ed. The best Corbyn can hope for is to form an alliance with the SNP along the same line as the Tories did with the Lib Dems (wrt voting reform). String the SNP along but no actual independence (voting reform).
    Plato said:

Scott_P said:

Am I?

Both my machines are running faster under 10 than they were under 7 or 8, which is surprising. The problem I'm having is teething problems from the 7 to 10 transition.
    Thanks for the advice. It's a Win 7 machine I have had for years. It's so old I nearly binned it last year when the fan died, but when I phoned my supplier to buy a new machine he gave the number of someone who sold me a new fan instead. Unlucky...
    edited August 2015
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/29/windows_10_sysadmin_says_average_joe_will_be_happy/

"Average Joe will be happy with it. So long as he hasn't used Windows 7"
  • PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Thanx

isam said:

Dair said:

It'd help him until the day before Independence happens. After that he'd be f***ed. The best Corbyn can hope for is to form an alliance with the SNP along the same line as the Tories did with the Lib Dems (wrt voting reform). String the SNP along but no actual independence (voting reform).
    Plato said:

Scott_P said:

Am I?

Both my machines are running faster under 10 than they were under 7 or 8, which is surprising. The problem I'm having is teething problems from the 7 to 10 transition.
  • Scott_P said:

Thanks for the advice. It's a Win 7 machine I have had for years. It's so old I nearly binned it last year when the fan died, but when I phoned my supplier to buy a new machine he gave the number of someone who sold me a new fan instead. Unlucky...

Wait then. 7 has no problems that need fixing, let others deal with the teething problems.

I wish I wasn't too impatient to follow my own advice now!
    edited August 2015
    JohnO said:

Speedy said:

JohnO said:

Speedy said:

isam said:

Of course there will be a renegotiation and it will have to have sufficient meat for him to have any credibility in recommeding a yes vote in the referendum. Isn't that obvious?

But nothing he offers will satisfy you or the kippers, so most Conservatives don't regard either of you as a serious part of the equation.
    Associate membership, ability to negotiate our own FTAs, supremacy of UK law over EU law, opt out of CAP and CFP, etc., would be enough for me to vote to remain in the EU. Your statement that nothing he offers will satisfy Kippers is therefore clearly incorrect.
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    MP_SE said:

JohnO said:

Speedy said:

JohnO said:

Speedy said:

isam said:

Associate membership, ability to negotiate our own FTAs, supremacy of UK law over EU law, opt out of CAP and CFP, etc., would be enough for me to vote to remain in the EU. Your statement that nothing he offers will satisfy Kippers is therefore clearly incorrect.
    You missed out "and free shares in a green cheese lunar mining consortium for every kipper".
    @rosschawkins: The Daily Record comes out for Corbyn http://t.co/hv8LNE6veF
  • MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Dair said:

Dair said:

Why?
    Well there seems to be a huge number of PB commentators who keep telling us that the best way to get Scottish Independence is to give England the vote. That would, in effect, give England the vote.

Scottish Independence could then be established Czechoslovakia style, with dissolution following the No vote.
    Czechoslovakia split into two nations without a refeendum

Scott_P said:

Wait then. 7 has no problems that need fixing, let others deal with the teething problems.

You can always try Linux if you're having problems with Win10.
    That was the solution for many who had the misfortune of having Win8, it was either Linux or having to wait for Microsoft to replace it with Win9, but it was so bad Microsoft rushed Win8.1 as a stop gap.
  • Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Good podcast so far. I have been covering my Burnham position and am currently:

JC +18
    AB +8
    YC +40
    Mr. Smithson, it was a country for less than a century. Was there a referendum on separation which was lost beforehand?
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,840

JC +18
    AB +8
    YC +40

How many million have you laid Liz for ;p ?
    antifrank said:

MP_SE said:

JohnO said:

Speedy said:

JohnO said:

Speedy said:

isam said:

You missed out "and free shares in a green cheese lunar mining consortium for every kipper".
    I would rather have a flying pig.
    Speedy said:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/29/windows_10_sysadmin_says_average_joe_will_be_happy/

I think that Microsoft have had real problems working a viable strategy for it's core OS since Win 95, to an extent because it was, pretty much, exactly what is needed for a multitasking PC based OS and by the time 98 perfected an initially buggy product, they didn't really have anywhere to go.

Going from Win95 -> Win98 -> WinXP -> Win7 there isn't any particular difference to the look and feel and certainly from a user perspective, how it works.

Every time it has tried to diverge from the model established by WIn 95 it has failed horrifically, Windows ME, Windows Vista and Win 8 are all dead ends. Unfortunately Win 10 is built more on Win 8 than Win 7 with the added handicap of a revenue model built on "add ons" which i don't see becoming popular any time soon for an OS.

Win8 and the whole idea that the USP of a PC (multitasking) could be thrown out to be replaced with a "one application at a time" environment as you get on a tablet or phone was utterly idiotic and Monkey Boy deserved his firing (at least he has his billions to fall back on).

Aren't the majority of Enterprise users still using XP?
  • Speedy said:

Scott_P said:

That was the solution for many who had the misfortune of having Win8, it was either Linux or having to wait for Microsoft to replace it with Win9, but it was so bad Microsoft rushed Win8.1 as a stop gap.
    It bemuses me why there is so much mystery about why Windows skipped Win9. The reason is nothing to do with marking a distance from Win8 as the BBC keeps reporting. Win9 technically would cause havoc with many programs as Win9x is decoded as meaning Windows 95 or Windows 98.

There are multiple legacy programs out there that are set not to work if the OS contains the name "Win 9" and undoing that would be far worse than the Millenium Bug was mooted as being.
  • Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Pulpstar said:

JC +18
    AB +8
    YC +40

How many million have you laid Liz for ;p ?
    She's -14, like the field
    edited August 2015

Mr. Smithson, it was a country for less than a century. Was there a referendum on separation which was lost beforehand?

I think there was a referendum that was against separation, but politicians ignored it and went ahead anyway for different reasons, the Czech ones wanted to stop economic aid to the Slovaks, and the Slovak ones wanted their own authoritarian state.

Very similar to the Tory-SNP axis.
    Dair said:

XP is no longer supported or patched, so there is big push to get off it
    Mr. Speedy, cheers, I didn't know that.
    edited August 2015

Speedy said:

Scott_P said:

It bemuses me why there is so much mystery about why Windows skipped Win9. The reason is nothing to do with marking a distance from Win8 as the BBC keeps reporting. Win9 technically would cause havoc with many programs as Win9x is decoded as meaning Windows 95 or Windows 98.

There are multiple legacy programs out there that are set not to work if the OS contains the name "Win 9" and undoing that would be far worse than the Millenium Bug was mooted as being.
    True, but most people still believed there was going to be a Windows 9, but Windows 8 was such a disaster that many thought that Microsoft had ditched it's update for something else. Rushing in Windows 8.1 reaffirmed that impression.

Dair said:

Dair said:

Why?

Czechoslovakia split into two nations without a refeendum

The split was done without a second referendum. There had already been one which said No.
  • notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    Speedy said:

Scott_P said:

Am I?

I would agree a bit with this, but remember, windows 10 is *much* quicker on older hardware than windows 7.

I had an oldlaptop the other day originally came with vista, but had a free upgrade to windows 7 (old core 2 duo machine with 2gb of ram)

I doubled up the memory, upgraded to windows 10. Once windows 10 has activated on a machine thats the machine sorted for windows 10 forever. This means you can just do a format and reinstall from the image/usb you download from microsoft.

The new start menu is a menu designed by people who know you like the start menu, but dont like it themselves so have decided to make it really crappy in the hope you dont use it.

One of the big improvements over 8, is that it separates out the tablet and mouse/keyboard GUI. No more accidental swipes ending up in some full screen programme which completely takes you away from your desktop.

So while i agree above, the interface changes from w7 to w10 are not really worth it, for 8 to 10 definitely... But, your machine will run quicker than it ever has if you put 10 on it.

I quite like Windows 10. My other half tried to move from Windows 7 to Windows 10 on his laptop but it cut off wifi access so he moved back.
    How would I know which Windows I am using?!
    edited August 2015
    Dair said:

Speedy said:

I think that Microsoft have had real problems working a viable strategy for it's core OS since Win 95, to an extent because it was, pretty much, exactly what is needed for a multitasking PC based OS and by the time 98 perfected an initially buggy product, they didn't really have anywhere to go.

Going from Win95 -> Win98 -> WinXP -> Win7 there isn't any particular difference to the look and feel and certainly from a user perspective, how it works.

Every time it has tried to diverge from the model established by WIn 95 it has failed horrifically, Windows ME, Windows Vista and Win 8 are all dead ends. Unfortunately Win 10 is built more on Win 8 than Win 7 with the added handicap of a revenue model built on "add ons" which i don't see becoming popular any time soon for an OS.

Win8 and the whole idea that the USP of a PC (multitasking) could be thrown out to be replaced with a "one application at a time" environment as you get on a tablet or phone was utterly idiotic and Monkey Boy deserved his firing (at least he has his billions to fall back on).

At least we two have one common view.
    Even if you love Salmond and I loath Salmond, we both have the same opinion about Microsoft (and Jim Murphy).
  • Telegraph front page says Harman attempt's to call off Labour contest
    Scott_P said:

Dair said:

XP is no longer supported or patched, so there is big push to get off it
    Yes there's a push from Microsoft.

But as I understand it, that desire isn't shared by a lot of business users.
    Mr. Notme, that sounds like designing the Xbone so the user interface is optimised for the Kinect and clunky without it.

In internet parlance - a dick move.
    isam said:

If you didn't download it, it isn't Windows 10.

If you're not screaming at the computer, it isn't Windows 8.
    Matt's effort tonight is even more sublime than last night's.
    Dair said:

It's definitely shared by businesses who are scared of the Sony hack
    notme said:

Speedy said:

Scott_P said:

Am I?

I would agree a bit with this, but remember, windows 10 is *much* quicker on older hardware than windows 7.

I had an oldlaptop the other day originally came with vista, but had a free upgrade to windows 7 (old core 2 duo machine with 2gb of ram)

I doubled up the memory, upgraded to windows 10. Once windows 10 has activated on a machine thats the machine sorted for windows 10 forever. This means you can just do a format and reinstall from the image/usb you download from microsoft.

The new start menu is a menu designed by people who know you like the start menu, but dont like it themselves so have decided to make it really crappy in the hope you dont use it.

One of the big improvements over 8, is that it separates out the tablet and mouse/keyboard GUI. No more accidental swipes ending up in some full screen programme which completely takes you away from your desktop.

So while i agree above, the interface changes from w7 to w10 are not really worth it, for 8 to 10 definitely... But, your machine will run quicker than it ever has if you put 10 on it.

Umm.

You doubled the RAM.

Are you *certain* that it's running faster because of Win10?
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    isam said:

Right click on my computer, and click properties. That should bring up an information box.

Telegraph front page says Harman attempt's to call off Labour contest

Was it Mandelson with a blonde wig?
  • antifrank said:

Matt's effort tonight is even more sublime than last night's.

It is fab

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/03411/190815-MATT-WEB_3411869a.jpg
  • JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    JohnO said:

Speedy said:

JohnO said:

Speedy said:

isam said:

What would be sufficient meat for you to count it as a credible yes recommendation, out of interest?
  • MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    isam said:

Control Panel > System and Security > System

• TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    Speedy said:
    Since PB is blessed with much better lawyers than me, in what sense could you judicially review that decision? Is the Labour party a public authority for these purposes?
    antifrank said:

MP_SE said:

JohnO said:

Speedy said:

JohnO said:

Speedy said:

isam said:

Well, obviously none of this will happen, and to be fair to Cameron, he's never promised it will happen.

So, it's a choice between the current status quo + future closer union, or rejection + an uncertain future.
    Scott_P said:

Dair said:

It's definitely shared by businesses who are scared of the Sony hack
    Where did you read that it had anything to do with WinXP?
  • Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Test
    Dair said:

Speedy said:

You are only looking at it from the user perspective, there are enormous differences between how they operate, and its only because you have got used to the features as they've developed, you havent noticed them. If you go back to windows 95/98 you might be quite surprised .

Windows XP was reskin of windows 2k. It is massively more stable than any if the 9x operating system, it brought 'enterprise' level stability to home users. If you farted too loudly and didnt close the door windows 98 would freeze.

Think of all those things you do with ease. Taking pictures off a camera, adding music to a device, watching video on the internet, the internet itself!!

It is possible to say that vista was difficult operating system, they over reached, but by the time they were ready with windows 7, they perfected everything they got wrong with vista.

Windows 8 was just a bag of spanners, but mainly because of design decisions. If MS had made the design decision to keep a traditional start menu, and disable 'full screen apps' for standard users it would have been lapped up.

Windows 8 contains some first rate auto backup software, fast as anything on older machines, finally MS managed to get standby right. But alas the interface was so screwed up.

The look of horror on an elderly persons face when they go to start and get lots of tiles. When they accidentally swipe to the side and they go into full screen app. When they try to play solitaire and get inundated with XBOX trophies.

They pack it away and get the old one out, or just buy an ipad.
    edited August 2015
    MP_SE said:

JohnO said:

Speedy said:

JohnO said:

Speedy said:

isam said:

I'm not a Kipper, but that all sounds great. Realistically though, I would be happy with a double QMV system for non-Eurozone members, a veto over financial regulation, an end to free movement for non-workers and criminals, an EU budget cap, and a commitment to passing the US free trade deal.

Appallingly misleading apostrophe and letter 's' misplacement
    RobD said:

isam said:

Right click on my computer, and click properties. That should bring up an information box.
    Cheers

Windows 7

Is that OK?!
    Dair said:

notme said:

Speedy said:

Scott_P said:

Am I?

Umm.

You doubled the RAM.

Are you *certain* that it's running faster because of Win10?
    Of course the machine will run substantially faster with the memory anyway, but i added the memory after i installed win 10. I have enough experience to know what to expect on an old core2duo machine from 2007. Windows 10, while 'shit of a stick' might be exaggerating, it was exceptionally usable and would not feel second rate in anyway.
    Dair said:

Where did you read that it had anything to do with WinXP?

I didn't. The point I was making that systems that can't be patched are scaring businesses who don't want hacked.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517
    notme said:

You are only looking at it from the user perspective, there are enormous differences between how they operate, and its only because you have got used to the features as they've developed, you havent noticed them. If you go back to windows 95/98 you might be quite surprised .

Windows XP was reskin of windows 2k. It is massively more stable than any if the 9x operating system, it brought 'enterprise' level stability to home users. If you farted too loudly and didnt close the door windows 98 would freeze.

Think of all those things you do with ease. Taking pictures off a camera, adding music to a device, watching video on the internet, the internet itself!!

It is possible to say that vista was difficult operating system, they over reached, but by the time they were ready with windows 7, they perfected everything they got wrong with vista.

Windows 8 was just a bag of spanners, but mainly because of design decisions. If MS had made the design decision to keep a traditional start menu, and disable 'full screen apps' for standard users it would have been lapped up.

Windows 8 contains some first rate auto backup software, fast as anything on older machines, finally MS managed to get standby right. But alas the interface was so screwed up.

The look of horror on an elderly persons face when they go to start and get lots of tiles. When they accidentally swipe to the side and they go into full screen app. When they try to play solitaire and get inundated with XBOX trophies.

They pack it away and get the old one out, or just buy an ipad.

+1

There's the underlying core tech, and then the UI shell that is placed on top. Win 7, 8 and 10 are (I think) more or less the same core tech family, with very different UI's.

Mind you, I still miss OS/2 Warp and Windows NT.

I'd rather forget 3/3.1 - they were, with hindsight, absolutely terrible kludges that were only popular because they were compatible with, but so much better than, DOS.
    isam said:

RobD said:

isam said:

Cheers

Windows 7

Is that OK?!
    It's OK.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,708
    Chinese school beats British school in the final episode of the BBC2 experiment of teaching styles at Bohunt School

Speedy said:
    Since PB is blessed with much better lawyers than me, in what sense could you judicially review that decision? Is the Labour party a public authority for these purposes?
    LIAMT knows far more about constitutional and administrative law than I do. But, I'd have thought that any attempt to challenge the outcome of the leadership election would be based upon contractual law, rather than judicial review.
    isam said:

RobD said:

isam said:

Cheers

Windows 7

Is that OK?!
    That's the best one.
    @tnewtondunn: EXCL: Anti-semitic, anti-gay extremist who called UK troops’ murders "victory" invited to Parliament by Jeremy Corbyn http://t.co/H2CR8gtLO5
  • RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Scott_P said:

@tnewtondunn: EXCL: Anti-semitic, anti-gay extremist who called UK troops’ murders "victory" invited to Parliament by Jeremy Corbyn http://t.co/H2CR8gtLO5

Yawn...

Let me know when they find proof that Hitler was his dad...
    Scott_P said:

Please can we keep those stories until he is leader? Thanks!
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,708
    Dair said:

Dair said:

Why?

Every poll in England and Wales has shown a clear majority want to keep Scotland in the UK
  • DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106
    notme said:

Windows 8 contains some first rate auto backup software....

Where's that, if you don't mind me asking? (And if you mention the word "cloud", then I ain't going there!)

I have Windows 8.1 on my machine, and I've set it up just as I want it. No need for Windows 10 yet.
    isam said:

Appallingly misleading apostrophe and letter 's' misplacement
    It's not misleading, just totally wrong. I'm sure TSE was just in an excitable mood when he composed the message!
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    HYUFD said:

Chinese school beats British school in the final episode of the BBC2 experiment of teaching styles at Bohunt School

No surprise. How can anyone learn anything when paper aeroplanes are constantly flying around the room?
  • Telegraph story up now

Ms Harman and her team have told officials that they believe up to one fifth of the 120,000 people who paid £3 to vote in the election could be so-called “entryists” trying to distort the result to favour Jeremy Corbyn, the hard-left candidate.

One source said: "There was a conversation a couple of weeks ago but they decided to proceed."

Lord Falconer, the former Lord Chancellor, has now quit the Burnham campaign to advise the Labour party full time on the running of the contest.

http://bit.ly/1URpYRU
  • TwistedFireStopperTwistedFireStopper Posts: 2,538
    edited August 2015
    I ditched Windows PC and laptops about a year ago. I made do with a Galaxy 2 Tab and my phone, and to be honest, haven't missed Windows at all. I now use a Chromebook, and it's superb. Fast start up and no laggy freezing unlike my crappy Windows machines. Of course, if you're a serious gamer, or want to do detailed photo or video editing, then you're a little limited, but for everyday use, it suits me down to the ground.