Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PB competitions results

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited September 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PB competitions results

The results are in and the winner is David. Many congratulations on your victory.

Read the full story here

Comments

• FPT on the notion Corbyn wouldn't attend PMQs
    MaxPB said:

Speedy said:

SPEEDY..That should read.. The leader of her Majesty,s Opposition refuses to debate issues that affect the country with the Prime Minister in the HOC...that should bring in a few more Labour votes....NOT...Labour party voters are not as stupid as some of the current leaders seem to think they are......

That should read "David Cameron is moaning like a small child because Jeremy Corbyn doesn't want to talk to him".
    It is the duty of the opposition to hold the government to account. Corbyn refusing PMQs is a dereliction of duty. I hope the speaker refuses this stupid request and forces Corbyn to be present at all times when the PM is present.
    If Corbyn can't be arsed to do his job then fine, the Speaker should skip the six questions the LOTO can't be arsed to ask and go on to asking six additional backbenchers to ask 1 question each. I think Convention would be that'd be approximate 3 Tory, 2 Labour and 1 other party backbenchers who'd get a go to ask an additional question.

Corbyn shouldn't have the ability to transfer his duty to someone else.
  • Looking at the full results, I say the sole backer of Liz was very optimistic (100% to her, 0% to anyone else).

She was favourite once, you know. Wonder how that felt.
  • Congrats to Mr. Cameron on his foresight.
  • :lol:

Congrats to Mr. Cameron on his foresight.

• alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    edited September 2015
    Wonder who Corbyn will get to respond on the Budget?

Probably doesn't fancy it himself.
  • SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited September 2015

FPT on the notion Corbyn wouldn't attend PMQs

MaxPB said:

Speedy said:

SPEEDY..That should read.. The leader of her Majesty,s Opposition refuses to debate issues that affect the country with the Prime Minister in the HOC...that should bring in a few more Labour votes....NOT...Labour party voters are not as stupid as some of the current leaders seem to think they are......

That should read "David Cameron is moaning like a small child because Jeremy Corbyn doesn't want to talk to him".
    It is the duty of the opposition to hold the government to account. Corbyn refusing PMQs is a dereliction of duty. I hope the speaker refuses this stupid request and forces Corbyn to be present at all times when the PM is present.
    If Corbyn can't be arsed to do his job then fine, the Speaker should skip the six questions the LOTO can't be arsed to ask and go on to asking six additional backbenchers to ask 1 question each. I think Convention would be that'd be approximate 3 Tory, 2 Labour and 1 other party backbenchers who'd get a go to ask an additional question.

Let the debate about it begin:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/shortcuts/2015/jan/19/are-prime-ministers-questions-past-sell-by-date-as-nick-clegg-argues
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    FPT
    Speedy said:

MaxPB said:

Speedy said:

MaxPB said:

Speedy said:

They will hold government to account, just not with Jeremy Corbyn in a small questions and answer session once a week.
    If the PM wants a conversation with Corbyn fine, but he won't get many in the HoC.
    You are defending the indefensible because your preferred leader has made a stupid decision. How can Labour hold the PM/Government to account if their chosen leader doesn't turn up to work?
    How any person think any party can take the government into account in 10 minutes per week in a question and answer session. Government is taken into account by the actions and words of it's members, not in PM question time.

The role of the opposition is to oppose the government, not to engage in pointless discussions.
    I think Corbyn will quickly discover that the rules are not his to make.

His new job description says that he should be in the HoC at midday on Wednesday, and be ready to ask six questions to the PM - who will of course also turn up unless he has a good reason not to be there. The LotO takes a £70k salary and a GCS car for the job, if he doesn't want to do it he should refuse the bonus and the car.

Just a thought - by giving him a car and protection, the police will know pretty much every meeting he has from now on. Could be interesting.
    Speedy said:

MaxPB said:

Speedy said:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/shortcuts/2015/jan/19/are-prime-ministers-questions-past-sell-by-date-as-nick-clegg-argues
    Did you even read the article?
  • JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Congratulations to "David".

You are duly nominated as a disciple to the reigning TOTY .... namely me .... :smile:
    Sandpit said:

FPT

Speedy said:

MaxPB said:

Speedy said:

MaxPB said:

Speedy said:

They will hold government to account, just not with Jeremy Corbyn in a small questions and answer session once a week.
    If the PM wants a conversation with Corbyn fine, but he won't get many in the HoC.
    You are defending the indefensible because your preferred leader has made a stupid decision. How can Labour hold the PM/Government to account if their chosen leader doesn't turn up to work?
    How any person think any party can take the government into account in 10 minutes per week in a question and answer session. Government is taken into account by the actions and words of it's members, not in PM question time.

The role of the opposition is to oppose the government, not to engage in pointless discussions.

His new job description says that he should be in the HoC at midday on Wednesday, and be ready to ask six questions to the PM - who will of course also turn up unless he has a good reason not to be there. The LotO takes a £70k salary and a GCS car for the job, if he doesn't want to do it he should refuse the bonus and the car.

Just a thought - by giving him a car and protection, the police will know pretty much every meeting he has from now on. Could be interesting.
    I was wondering about Police protection. I imagine he can turn it down?
  • What I find so peculiar about this notion is that it takes a great deal of practice to be good at PMQs. By not even trying to take the PM on consistently, no one will get good enough to land a blow more than very rarely and luckily.

I hope Mr Speaker stamps on this silly idea. It does a disservice to Parliament to cock about with it because Corbyn is too frit to fight himself.
    alex. said:

alex. said:

LOL. I wonder what Ozzy has lined up for the Autumn Statement and the Budget 2016. A couple of monumental bear traps immediately spring to mind.
    edited September 2015
    Sandpit said:

FPT

Speedy said:

MaxPB said:

Speedy said:

MaxPB said:

Speedy said:

I think you will find out that Corbyn doesn't care about rules.
    I can envision him having a hobby of throwing rule books in the fireplace, he would be terrible to have at boardgames though.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    alex. said:

John McDonnell is likely to be the new Shadow Chancellor
    edited September 2015
    alex. said:

Speedy said:

MaxPB said:

Speedy said:

Yes I did, that's why I said "let the debate begin".
    alex. said:

Sandpit said:

FPT

Speedy said:

MaxPB said:

Speedy said:

MaxPB said:

Speedy said:

I was wondering about Police protection. I imagine he can turn it down?
    One would imagine that if he doesn't want the police following him around, he'll not have much choice about the Spooks doing it instead.
    Taking part in PMQs is also one way to build a measure of loyalty within the Parliamentary Party. If they were honest i imagine few would really fancy that aspect of the job, and would express sympathy for their leader at having to do it. In return they turn up to support them and try to give them strong vocal encouragement. Yes it's tribal and doesn't look great to outsiders, but its an important ritual for other reasons.

A leader who says "I don't really think i'd be very good at that, and will delegate to others" will just generate enormous contempt, not something Corbyn in his weak position can remotely afford.
    HYUFD said:

alex. said:

LOTO responds to the Budget.
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,279
    Sky News Newsdesk ‏@SkyNewsBreak 1m1 minute ago
    Update - shadow business secretary Chuka Umunna unlikely to serve in #Labour's shadow cabinet
  • Miss Plato, there's also the fact that Cameron won't be able to land blows on Corbyn, because Corbyn won't be playing.
    Speedy said:

Sandpit said:

FPT

Speedy said:

MaxPB said:

Speedy said:

MaxPB said:

Speedy said:

I think you will find out that Corbyn doesn't care about rules.
    I can envision him having a hobby of throwing rule books in the fireplace, he would be terrible to have at boardgames though.
    His job is to be there. He really has no choice in the matter.

To see the LotO suspended by the Speaker for not turning up to PMQs because he can't be arsed to hold the Government to account would be a "brave" strategy, as Sir Humphrey might have said.
  • dr_spyn said:

Sky News Newsdesk ‏@SkyNewsBreak 1m1 minute ago
    Update - shadow business secretary Chuka Umunna unlikely to serve in #Labour's shadow cabinet

Odd - Aunty has 17 Corbyn headlines on its Homepage, but no mention of any resignations?
    edited September 2015
    Speedy said:

alex. said:

Speedy said:

MaxPB said:

Speedy said:

Yes I did, that's why I said "let the debate begin".
    What debate? There's nothing in the article challenging the idea that the LOTO should ask the questions. Total abolition - that's different, but as it states most PMs would be only to happy to oblige.

• However, that also leaves Corbyn wide-open as he won't be stood there and can't respond if Cameron includes a jibe at him in response to ANOther.

Miss Plato, there's also the fact that Cameron won't be able to land blows on Corbyn, because Corbyn won't be playing.

Miss Plato, there's also the fact that Cameron won't be able to land blows on Corbyn, because Corbyn won't be playing.

"Would my Right Horourable Friend like to comment on recent reports that the Leader of the Opposition, whom I notice once again has failed to take his seat, is a friend of ISIL and Hamas?"
  • Miss Plato, that's true.

And there'll be the constant refrain of "frit".

If elected PM, would Corbyn turn up weekly, or when he felt like it?
  • JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    tyson said:

JackW- in all the years of pbCOM I think we have both been on exactly the same page when it comes to political predictions. Uncannily similar. You probably weren't here a few moons ago, but I was extolling your hyper intelligence which must be slightly larger than Canada.

And, up until last night, my political antennae were telling me that Corbyn would be an abject disaster for Labour. But today I don't know. You're probably right Jack, but if you are wrong, I will be there to remind you of your first mistake. And everyone makes mistakes- even the mighty, mighty, seemingly impregnable JackW.

JackW said:

tyson said:

Funny, I was thinking of 2010. I was absolutely gutted about David losing and thought Labour had made a terrible mistake in electing Ed who was clearly not credible.

Today, I think at the end I wanted Yvette to win, but I am not upset by Corbyn's victory and look forward to see how things progress.

Jonathan said:

Curious day.

Remember hearing Ed Miliband won on the radio back in 2010 and thinking to myself that 2015 was lost.

Right now, not sure what to think apart from it's going to be an interesting time ahead.

My dear Tyson let me congratulate your 2010 prescience. Sadly this has now deserted you totally.

Let me be plain as a PBer who has successfully administered the black spot to IDS, Howard, Ming, Brown and Ed :

There are simply not enough black spots on the worldwide population of Dalmatian dogs that would enable me to convey to you how totally bleak the foreseeable future is for Labour.

Sorry for your loss.

Some say our uncanny political antenna indicates the rumours that you are the fruit of my loins have a basis in fact.

However as all of PB is aware my only Jacobite love child is malcolmg whose recent presence at finishing school shows signs of money well spent.

I wish you much joy of Jezza .... :smile:
  • Exactly.
    Sandpit said:

"Would my Right Horourable Friend like to comment on recent reports that the Leader of the Opposition, whom I notice once again has failed to take his seat, is a friend of ISIL and Hamas?"
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    John McDonnell being appointed shadow chancellor would push a few Labour MPs over the edge I imagine.
  • HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    edited September 2015
    Sandpit said:

One would imagine that if he doesn't want the police following him around, he'll not have much choice about the Spooks doing it instead.

Does the LOTO even get police protection? They never used to, in fact the number of government ministers who did was very small (used to be the PM, NI, Defence and latterly Home secretary, unless there was a specific threat). I remember a fearful row in 1997 because John Prescott found out that he didn't get armed bodyguards and he thought he should - to feed his ego he was given, a unarmed and non-protection trained "police liaison officer".

There again that was a long time ago and I suppose the number of politicians who have their ego expanded, and the number of coppers enjoying not doing police work and earning humungous overtime payments, has probably expanded since.
  • Any ETA on when we'll get the shadow chancellor announcement?
    PlatoSays said:

Exactly.

Sandpit said:

Imagine half a dozen variants of the same question being asked by half a dozen different Tory MPs every Wednesday, and I think even Jeremy Corbyn would soon start to make an appearance at PMQs
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    PlatoSays said:

What I find so peculiar about this notion is that it takes a great deal of practice to be good at PMQs. By not even trying to take the PM on consistently, no one will get good enough to land a blow more than very rarely and luckily.

I hope Mr Speaker stamps on this silly idea. It does a disservice to Parliament to cock about with it because Corbyn is too frit to fight himself.

alex. said:

Possibly Corbyn sharing the PMQ action is because he sees himself as a caretaker with a mission to find the leader to take Labour into 2020.
    edited September 2015
    Sandpit said:

PlatoSays said:

Exactly.

Sandpit said:

Imagine half a dozen variants of the same question being asked by half a dozen different Tory MPs every Wednesday, and I think even Jeremy Corbyn would soon start to make an appearance at PMQs
    Of course normally the Speaker would disallow any such question or extended answers from Cameron exploiting the issue. But in those circumstances i reckon he would give Cameron free rein.

He doesn't put in considerable work promoting the primacy of Parliament and forcing Govt ministers to the floor of the House to answer questions at every opportunity only to have the Leader of the Opposition decide that it really doesn't matter that much.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,718
    I must have missed something, but when and where did Corbyn say he wouldn’t be turning up to PMQ’s?

I think I can recall him saying something it being a piece of knockabout farce (or something like that) rather than serious politics, but I think most of us would agree that it can often be that.
    alex. said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

LOTO responds to the Budget.
    Mind you there is little difference between McDonnell and Corbyn ideologically

I must have missed something, but when and where did Corbyn say he wouldn’t be turning up to PMQ’s?

I think I can recall him saying something it being a piece of knockabout farce (or something like that) rather than serious politics, but I think most of us would agree that it can often be that.

Suggestion trailed in the Sun this morning, and confirmed on some tweets shown on the last thread.
  • Great scenes on Sky News, Adam Boulton being heckled by a bunch of soap dodgers
    edited September 2015
    alex. said:

Sandpit said:

PlatoSays said:

Exactly.

Sandpit said:

Of course normally the Speaker would disallow any such question or extended answers from Cameron exploiting the issue. But in those circumstances i reckon he would give Cameron free rein.

He doesn't put in considerable work promoting the primacy of Parliament and forcing Govt ministers to the floor of the House to answer questions at every opportunity only to have the Leader of the Opposition decide that it really doesn't matter that much.
    I'm not Mr Bercow's biggest fan, but one thing he is rightly very hot about is that Parliament is the correct place for things to be announced and debated.

Mr @Speedy seems to think that Corbyn can unilaterally decide that the rules of Parliament need not apply to him even though he's the LotO with the salary and perks that accompany that Office.
  • tysontyson Posts: 6,049
    edited September 2015
    Good on Jez for ducking PMQ's. He doesn't want to do it, week in, week out. It would give him sleepless nights and stress him out. Perfectly sensible- pass that baton to Tom, and hope that the poor fella doesn't sweat quite as much as he did today (I would give Tom a health once over- we wouldn't want him keeling over).

I think in the spirit of comradeship he should delegate the conference leaders speech to the janitor too. That's another stressy curveball to dodge.

Let's face it...Jez didn't want to be leader, and look where his lack of ambition got him. Let's not jump his back too much if he tries to do things a little differently.

Tyson- Number 23- Get in there myson
    tyson said:

Good on Jez for ducking PMQ's. He doesn't want to do it, week in, week out. It would give him sleepless nights and stress him out. Perfectly sensible- pass that baton to Tom, and hope that the poor fella doesn't sweat quite as much as he did today (I would give Tom a health once over- we wouldn't want him keeling over).

I think in the spirit of comradeship he should delegate the conference leaders speech to the janitor too. That's another stressy curveball to dodge.

Let's face it...Jez didn't want to be leader, and look where his lack of ambition got him. Let's not jump his back too much if he tries to do things a little differently.

Flopped again? ;)
    alex. said:

Suggestion trailed in the Sun this morning, and confirmed on some tweets shown on the last thread.
    Oh, in the Sun. And confirmed by tweet!

What’s that phrase about not hanging a dog on that evidence?
  • richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited September 2015
    If the LOTO does not turn up for PMQs then the PM can also decline to turn up..This must surely deprive all of the leaders of the other Political Parties from asking the PM pertinent questions...Back benchers will also be denied asking the PM direct and this would deprive their constituents of having their concerns put to the top politician. Not acceptable..Get your scared butt in there Corbyn or take the enormous flak..
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392

alex. said:

Many official announcements are made on Twitter thesedays I believe. Wasn't the last Cabinet reshuffle done via tweet? So while I do not use the medium myself, it can be pretty solid evidence depending on the origin.
    kle4 said:

alex. said:

Many official announcements are made on Twitter thesedays I believe. Wasn't the last Cabinet reshuffle done via tweet? So while I do not use the medium myself, it can be pretty solid evidence depending on the origin.
    Depending on the origin. Hmmmm

alex. said:

I'm sure most people here don't expect it to actually happen, not least because the Speaker won't allow it. But there's enough evidence to think that it's at the very least a flag being run up the flag pole by Corbyn (or those close to him).
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392

kle4 said:

alex. said:

I don't recall which twitter account 'confirmed' this. If it was connected to Corbyn's team, then it is surely sound.
    fitalass said:

Twitter
    Greg Dawson ‏@Gregstweet 50m50 minutes ago
    Just spoken to Jeremy Corbyn. He's confirmed he intends to have other Labour MPs take his role at some sessions of PMQs

Greg Dawson ‏@Gregstweet 43m43 minutes ago
    Corbyn on PMQs: "David Cameron enjoys a bit of repartee but it's going to be one-way"

Greg Dawson ‏@Gregstweet 41m41 minutes ago
    Corbyn on PMQs "We should share it out a bit. I've been in touch with the speaker's office to ask about this."

Greg Dawson ‏@Gregstweet 28m28 minutes ago
    Corbyn quotes a friend: "the best leaders those that assume the position with reluctance because they do it best."

• alex. said:

This is from a BBC reporter

@Gregstweet: Just spoken to Jeremy Corbyn. He's confirmed he intends to have other Labour MPs take his role at some sessions of PMQs
  • David = Jeremy Corbyn!

Congratulations!
    edited September 2015
    Blinking heck comrade, you're as fast as a rat up a drainpipe.
    I've not flopped. I'm just a bit of a realist. Jez is 66, he didn't want this job. Would you want to do PMQ's every week at that age, especially if it was the last thing you ever could have imagined doing? The most strenuous thing I would hope to be doing at that age is pruning the roses- and even that might prove to be too much.

I think Jez is a breath of fresh air. Pitching out of PMQ's only confirms my view. He's pulled out of Marr tomorrow. Good on him. Let him enjoy a Sunday morning having a lie in like the rest of us.

Go Jezz- he's a role model for pensioners and for people who cannot really be arsed to achieve their potential.
    alex. said:

tyson said:

Flopped again? ;)
  • Anna Soubry's come up with the best response

@Anna_Soubry: @Gregstweet and no doubt will find a stand in at the Cenotaph on Remembrance Sunday.
  • PaulyPauly Posts: 897
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

alex. said:

I don't recall which twitter account 'confirmed' this. If it was connected to Corbyn's team, then it is surely sound.
    https://twitter.com/Gregstweet/status/642678841249538048
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,751
    From some Labour MP I've never heard of called Louise Haigh:

“He’s now in a really strong position to lead the Parliamentary Labour Party,” she said. “It will now be very difficult for dissenters to get a foothold against the leader. No one has ever before won in the first round of voting.”

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/4561c498-5948-11e5-9846-de406ccb37f2.html#axzz3lXT8MN4p

A frighteningly stupid comment. He won by a slightly larger margin than Tony Blair in a much weaker field - 57% to 59%. I seem to recall however that John Smith won around 86% of the vote in 1992 - admittedly, only against Bryan Gould. Since this is only the second actual election held under this voting system and there were three strong candidates last time, it is hardly surprising that it 'no one has ever before won (sic) in the first round of voting'. So while the margin of victory is impressive, it is hardly unprecedented and it certainly does not overcome his other grave weaknesses as a party leader, although she is probably correct it will be difficult to bring him down in the short term.

Yet, doubtless, Ms Haigh will be called upon to fill some breach or other in the gaping ranks of the Labour hierarchy. Corbyn's answer to Lucy Powell?

alex. said:

This is from a BBC reporter

@Gregstweet: Just spoken to Jeremy Corbyn. He's confirmed he intends to have other Labour MPs take his role at some sessions of PMQs
    Ta.
    Leadership style. Of course, it’ll throw Cameron, who won’t know who is going to be questioning him. PR bully will have to think on his feet.
    edited September 2015

If the LOTO does not turn up for PMQs then the PM can also decline to turn up..This must surely deprive all of the leaders of the other Political Parties from asking the PM pertinent questions...Back benchers will also be denied asking the PM direct and this would deprive their constituents of having their concerns put to the top politician. Not acceptable..Get your scared butt in there Corbyn or take the enormous flak..

Cameron will be there - and enjoying every damn minute of it!

As you say the primary role of PMQs is to allow the Members access to the PM directly, often to raise something local to their constituents and/or something of which the PM may not be aware that the Member thinks would be useful for him to know.

It is important for Parliament as a whole that this session continues, the Speaker will undoubtedly point at the empty bench where the LotO should be and call half a dozen more backbenchers (half of whom would be from the government side).
  • MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    edited September 2015
    Pauly said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

alex. said:

twitter.com/Gregstweet/status/642678841249538048

" I've [Corbyn] been in touch with the speaker's office to ask about this."

Nothing about what the Speaker has to say in reply...

• According to the BBC, Corbyn wants greater equality across the world.

Oddly, 'equality' is the last thing that many of his friends want. Therefore it would be interesting to hear his definition of 'equality': it might be rather unusual.
  • Just been reading the comments on Labour List and their supporters are already fighting like rats in a sack.

Magic.
  • The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited September 2015
    FPT:
    Danny565 said:

YES at Ken dismissing the resignations of Rachel Reeves and Tristram Hunt. "You say they're big figures - the public doesn't have a clue who they are."

Exactly. I don't agree with Corbyn but I have to laugh at anyone who thinks that Rachel Reeves is a huge loss. She can now spend her free time getting elocution lessons.

Also, in regards to people saying Strugeon plays politics of course she does! But when Conservative Chancellor George Osborne does it, he is an amazing political genius and the politician of our times. Yet when Sturgeon does it, she's bad/mad/terrible?

On Liz Kendall, it's not just about having Blairite ideology, it's also about having the communication skills, charm, and charisma of Blair 1994 - 2002. Kendall has none of these things. And as someone said Blairism is a discredited ideology - a lot of the cynicism among the public in regard to politicians goes back to the Blair era and its spin culture. A lot of Blair's own politics - especially in regard to immigration - would be out of favour now.

Labour's biggest issue is the sheer mediocrity within the party.

Pauly said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

alex. said:

The reply given in Arkell vs Pressdram..?
  • Mr. Tyson, if Antigonus Monopthalmus can chase Eumenes of Cardia across Asia when he was in his 70s, Corbyn can turn up to ask six questions once a week.
  • richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited September 2015
    The only possible outcome of Corbyn missing PMQs will be that the entire country will see that he is afraid to confront the PM..No matter how much spin Corbyns little band of helpers put on it that is the way it will be seen and screamed from all of the MSM...to go down that route would indeed be suicidal. Simple headlines on all front pages every week.."Corbyn is afraid to confront the PM".....let us not forget the implied threat to press freedom in his first LOTO speech today..they are just waiting for him.
    Jeremy Corbyn mentioned a lengthy recent conversation with Ed Miliband and praised his leadership of the Labour Party and the 'great Ralph Miliband'. In the same way as Tory members elected IDS in part in tribute to Hague and because they felt Portillo and Clarke were rejecting his leadership so it seems Labour members have elected Corbyn in part as tribute to Ed thus opposing the attempts of Liz Kendall and others to move away from his leadership
    Sandpit said:

As you say the primary role of PMQs is to allow the Members access to the PM directly, often to raise something local to their constituents and/or something of which the PM may not be aware that the Member thinks would be useful for him to know. It is important for Parliament as a whole that this session continues, the Speaker will undoubtedly point at the empty bench where the LotO should be and call half a dozen more backbenchers (half of whom would be from the government side).
    I seem to recall that Cameron has had people stand in for him when otherwise engaged. Admittedly he was usually on Prime Ministerial business else where in the world, but the fact remains that he’s done it.
  • Pauly said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

alex. said:

Speaker Bercow is all in favour of modernising Parliament and is practically a Labour shill these days, he'll let Corbyn do it.
  • King Cole, every PM does that. And there's a difference between not turning up because you're engaged on official business elsewhere, and because you can't be bothered.

Sandpit said:

As you say the primary role of PMQs is to allow the Members access to the PM directly, often to raise something local to their constituents and/or something of which the PM may not be aware that the Member thinks would be useful for him to know. It is important for Parliament as a whole that this session continues, the Speaker will undoubtedly point at the empty bench where the LotO should be and call half a dozen more backbenchers (half of whom would be from the government side).
    I seem to recall that Cameron has had people stand in for him when otherwise engaged. Admittedly he was usually on Prime Ministerial business else where in the world, but the fact remains that he’s done it.
    If the PM or (very occasionally) the LotO is away on business or sick, then the protocol is that the two deputies face off. This is quite normal and very different from the LotO not being arsed to turn up.
  • OKC The PR bully does .. brilliantly
  • HYUFD said:

Jeremy Corbyn mentioned a lengthy recent conversation with Ed Miliband and praised his leadership of the Labour Party and the 'great Ralph Miliband'. In the same way as Tory members elected IDS in part in tribute to Hague and because they felt Portillo and Clarke were rejecting his leadership so it seems Labour members have elected Corbyn in part as tribute to Ed thus opposing the attempts of Liz Kendall and others to move away from his leadership

If people have actually elected Corbyn as a 'tribute to Ed Miliband' then that is beyond tragic.
  • EstobarEstobar Posts: 558
    HYUFD said:

HUYFD, I don't think any comparison to IDS bears much scrutiny.

King Cole, every PM does that. And there's a difference between not turning up because you're engaged on official business elsewhere, and because you can't be bothered.

I realise I’m in a small minoreity on this, so I won’t go on much longer (if at all) but would it be too unreasonable for a LotO who realised that he wasn’t going to be there too long (on age grounds) to let other members of his team have a go?
    RodCrosby said:
    One vaguely gets the impression that Corbyn is going to try to avoid changing his life in anyway.
    edited September 2015
    Dan Hodges as happy as could be expected:
    Labour has not just relinquished any prospect of being a party of government. It has just relinquished any prospect of being a party of opposition. Earlier in the week David Cameron called his ministers together for their political cabinet. It opened with some concerned analysis about the potential political consequences of a Corbyn victory. One minister pointed to the size of Labour’s potential activist base. Another noted how the enthusiasm for Corbyn amongst Labour supporters reminded him of the first stirrings of the SNP surge in Scotland. Then there was a pause. And then everyone started laughing. It was, they all agreed, a result beyond their wildest dreams.
    This is what the Labour Party has become. Literally, a laughing stock.
    But that’s not what Labour Party members wanted. They wanted to see their party go out in a final blaze of uncompromising glory.
    And so it has. Something may still emerge from the ashes. But the Labour Party as we know it – and as some people once loved it – died today. Each and every one of us will be touched by its passing.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/Jeremy_Corbyn/11859233/The-day-the-Labour-Party-died.html
    The thing is that Cameron is such an arrogant twot that he'd refuse to be questioned by anyone other than the LOTO. And Osborne- well he's another arrogant little preppy boy, so unless it was the Deputy he'd refuse too.

So we'd be left with the farcical situation of the opposing teams agreeing who matches up- a kind of pre questions Top Trumps where no party could top the other. I'm trying to think what would happen if Jez sent in Angela Eagle....it would show how little the Tories thought of the person they'd try to match up with her.

Pauly said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

alex. said:

Speaker Bercow is all in favour of modernising Parliament and is practically a Labour shill these days, he'll let Corbyn do it.

King Cole, every PM does that. And there's a difference between not turning up because you're engaged on official business elsewhere, and because you can't be bothered.

I realise I’m in a small minoreity on this, so I won’t go on much longer (if at all) but would it be too unreasonable for a LotO who realised that he wasn’t going to be there too long (on age grounds) to let other members of his team have a go?
    He should have thought of that before he applied for the job. The House of Commons isn't his personal plaything.
  • King Cole, has Corbyn said he'll only be there for a little while and wants others to get experience before a second pre-2020 leadership election?
    tyson said:

The thing is that Cameron is such an arrogant twot that he'd refuse to be questioned by anyone other than the LOTO. And Osborne- well he's another arrogant little preppy boy, so unless it was the Deputy he'd refuse too.

So we'd be left with the farcical situation of the opposing teams agreeing who matches up- a kind of pre questions Top Trumps where no party could top the other. I'm trying to think what would happen if Jez sent in Angela Eagle....it would show how little the Tories thought of the person they'd try to match up with her.

Er, Tyson, that happens at the moment. And has been the convention for ages.
    RodCrosby said:
    Well that's one word he wouldn't be stupid enough to use for it.
  • Mr. Tyson, it's a matter of protocol, nothing more, and it's nothing new.

The only new aspect is a chap getting elected Labour leader then deciding he can't be bothered with part of the job.

[Must say, I was under the impression that either the PM or the Leader of the Opposition could nominate anyone to give the answers/ask the six questions].
  • tyson said:

Pauly said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

alex. said:

Oh no, Dave will face whatever IRA condoning loony lefty nutbag cowardly Corbyn will send.

Dave's been doing PMQs for ten years, he's pretty good at it.
    edited September 2015
    Estobar said:

HYUFD said:

I think a lot of comparison actually. IDS scraped into the final round of MPs by 1 vote, Corbyn was 'lent' some nominations to get on the ballot. IDS succeeded PPE politics geek Hague after a heavy general election defeat promising to run an even more anti EU, populist campaign and beat the favoured candidates the more moderate former Cabinet Ministers Clarke and Portillo. Corbyn succeeded PPE politics geek Ed Miliband after a heavy general election defeat promising to run an even more anti austerity, anti war populist campaign and beat the favoured candidates the more moderate former Cabinet Ministers Cooper and Burnham.

Both IDS and Corbyn failed to win a majority of MPs, however IDS won 60% of Tory members votes, Corbyn 59% of Labour members and supporters votes
  • This is the endorsement cowardly Corbyn's been waiting for

@CFKArgentina: El Gobierno de la Argentina extiende sus felicitaciones al nuevo líder del partido Laborista de UK, Jeremy Corbyn http://www.cfkargentina.com/nuevo-lider-laborista-jeremy-corbyn/
  • tyson said:

Pauly said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

alex. said:

Oh no, Dave will face whatever IRA condoning loony lefty nutbag cowardly Corbyn will send.

Loyalists killed lots of innocent civilians too - they even out-killed the Provos in 1993 and 94.
  • RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    alex. said:

RodCrosby said:
    One vaguely gets the impression that Corbyn is going to try to avoid changing his life in anyway.
    Being elected Leader of the Labour party is of no consequence in the bigger scheme of things. He is utterly without ambition.
  • PMQs will be like 15 to 1 - Bercow asks Corbyn 'Question or Nominate?'
  • Just catching up on events after Corbyn announcement. Blimey, Hodges doesn't mince his words. Reeves dropping out to spend more time with the kids is not a good start for Jezza.
    edited September 2015
    HUYFD maybe stop and listen to yourself and to the two of them. Corbyn is a firebrand: an ideologue who has stood up for what he believes in and passionately defended unpopular causes, not a former army officer establishment figure.

You're viewing it from a technical perspective as an anorak inside the westminster bubble, not taking a step back and thinking (if I may say).
    HYUFD said:

Estobar said:

HYUFD said:

I think a lot of comparison actually. IDS scraped into the final round of MPs by 1 vote, Corbyn was 'lent' some nominations to get on the ballot. IDS succeeded PPE politics geek Hague after a heavy general election defeat promising to run an even more anti EU, populist campaign and beat the favoured candidates the more moderate former Cabinet Ministers Clarke and Portillo. Corbyn succeeded PPE politics geek Ed Miliband after a heavy general election defeat promising to run an even more anti austerity, anti war populist campaign and beat the favoured candidates the more moderate former Cabinet Ministers Cooper and Burnham.

Both IDS and Corbyn failed to win a majority of MPs, however IDS won 60% of Tory members votes, Corbyn 59% of Labour members and supporters votes
    IDS didn't actually really scrape into the last round. He lent a load of votes to Clarke to try and get him into the top two ahead of Portillo (only they miscounted and the whole ruse came within a whisker of backfiring horribly!)
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,005

tyson said:

Pauly said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

alex. said:

So good that he can't even answer the questions put to him? To be honest it would be nice if there was excuse to get rid of the whole shambles.
  • Tyson..Cameron takes questions from all over the house..please pay attention lad
  • Congratulations from Argentina:

Cristina Kirchner ‏@CFKArgentina 7m7 minutes ago
    Argentina congratulates @jeremycorbyn on his Labour leadership victory

Cristina Kirchner ‏@CFKArgentina 7m7 minutes ago
    Jeremy Corbyn is a great friend of Latin America and shares, in solidarity, our demands for equality and political sovereignty.
  • tyson said:

Pauly said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

alex. said:

So good that he can't even answer the questions put to him? To be honest it would be nice if there was excuse to get rid of the whole shambles.
    You're mistaking PMQs for a Question and Answer session.

PMQs is all about making highly partisan points and getting good media coverage whilst denigrating your opponents (and not fecking things up)
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Dan Hodges:

"The day the Labour Party died

Labour members didn't want to keep the flame alive and fight. They wanted to see their party go out in a final blaze of uncompromising glory"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/Jeremy_Corbyn/11859233/The-day-the-Labour-Party-died.html

tyson said:

Pauly said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

alex. said:

You're mistaking PMQs for a Question and Answer session.

PMQs is all about making highly partisan points and getting good media coverage whilst denigrating your opponents (and not fecking things up)
    And motivating the troops.