Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Sporting Index open a market on how many days Corbyn will l

Comments

• John Rentoul ‏@JohnRentoul 19 secs19 seconds ago

"We have a parliamentary, a Westminster system. The leader remains ldr as long as he or she has the confidence of the party room." Turnbull
    0 retweets 0 favorites

Hint hint....
  • JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    tyson said:

Wow- Abbott has been ousted.

Those Ozzies get the knife in quickly.

Shame. I thought you meant Diane.
  • Another reason to dislike Corbyn:

He's against HS2, and was one of the few Labour MPs to rebel the whip and vote against it.

JJ, any thoughts on the revelations that HS2 is going to actually reduce capacity on the existing services rather than increasing it because of losing platforms and lines at Euston? Surely this kind of kills one of the last arguments in favour of the scheme.
    I've said on here passim that HS2 lives or dies on Euston.

I've only seen the background information (and skimmed that) rather than any details, so it depends on how they think it'll work operationally. They might be able to make it work, but there is a great difficulty in cutting things like station dwell-time for trains, as I think has been shown at London Bridge recently.

As an example, apparently the Midland Main Line platforms at St Pancras - moved when the Eurostar terminal was built - are apparently already causing operational problems because there are not enough platform faces.
    The plans were published last week and show a reduction in approach lines from 6 to 4 and a reduction in platforms from 18 to 13 or possibly down to 11.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/hs2/11860650/HS2-will-cut-platforms-at-Euston-by-one-third.html
  • Scott_P said:

@JGForsyth: Remarkable from @helenlewis: Stella Creasy, who came 2nd in deputy leadership contest, wasn't even offered a full shadow Cabinet position

@PolhomeEditor: I'm told that @stellacreasy was offered the chance to attend Shadow Cabinet - but only when they discussed "youth affairs". She declined.

wow. like her or not, Stella Creasy is a pretty able politican in labour standards.
    It's really important to Labour's future that she remains uncontaminated. And this is a good story, because it casts her as the victim.
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Is it confirmed that Corbs will step up at PMQs yet ?
  • Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176

alex. said:

dr_spyn said:

Skinner given some airtime...Murdoch, froth, wail, conspiracy, froth, wail, BBC a joke, wail, froth, rant,

https://twitter.com/fulljonnynelson/status/643397179437109248?lang=en

Perhaps he should learn form the dear leader's silence.

Probably can't believe he didn't get offered a job.
    Barmy as he is, Skinner is just the warm up act that is to follow.
    Labour should change its name to the Monster Raving Loony Party....

Skinner probably forgets how crestfallen Maitlis was having to explain with her fancy graphics on BBC Election Night how Labour had fallen short after every single declaration.
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    When the creator of The thick of It is taking the piss...

@Aiannucci: Following appointment of John McDonnell, Jeremy Corbyn refuses to serve in Shadow Cabinet.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,728
    edited September 2015

isam said:

Estobar said:

Is political betting just a right-wing talking shop? Just wondered because it comes over that way.

No, we also make lots of money punting.
    Speak for yourself!
    Correction: we also make lots of money punting against isam
    And even when I win I don't get paid @Neil
  • Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    TGOHF said:

If he does, he might only ever do it once.
    Given the various talk of threats and coups from the PLP against the rest of the Labour Party, I think the new membership should start making sure the selections for new MPs reflect their views. How many Labour MPs need to get reselected?
  • isam said:

isam said:

Estobar said:

Is political betting just a right-wing talking shop? Just wondered because it comes over that way.

Speak for yourself!
    Shocking and surprising. Very disappointing to see.
  • Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    The press managed to pin Jezza against a car 30 mins ago and got him to answer a few questions.

In response to the Great Offices of State - he told the reporter [I think from Sky] that he didn't accept the definition and that the journo had views from the 1850s. Makes a change from the 1970s I suppose...

He came across as rather humpy.
    watford30 said:

Not only is Corbyn not being granted a honeymoon, relatives are determined to have a brawl at the wedding

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/sep/13/jeremy-corbyn-victory-energises-the-alienated-labour

There are so many on the outside of the tent pissing in, Corbyn and the Nutcase Collective will be too busy bailing out to do anything constructive.

The 'lets invent some pretendy roles for the ladies' is quite something for 2015.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    taffys said:

Can I implore everybody not to be nasty to Estobar....??

It's just too entertaining to have him or her quit.

he's sulking because he thought he was in with a shout for Jews.
  • welshowl said:

isam said:

welshowl said:

RodCrosby said:

@isam McDonnell does remind me a bit of Rossiter....

JC is CJ reversed.
    "I didn't get where I am today by talking to Murdoch journalists on a Sunday evening..."
    Actually the formation of Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition's shadow cabinet does seem to have echoes of Reggie's creation of sales areas by drawing round his secretary's handbag, and the bin at the last minute. Except Reggie's way was more thought through of course.
    The big question is of course ..... will CJ JC get his 'unshine desserts?
  • RobD said:

Blimey, go to bed after hearing there may be a leadership vote in Australia, and wake up to find they have a new PM!

They don't mess around do they.
    Malcolm Turnbull:
    "Many in his party dislike his support for climate change action and gay marriage"
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-34245005
  • I think the media need to be careful with their incessant coverage of JCorbyn. The "Sky walk" last night, was nothing short of harassment. People don't like it. MPs' are entitled to leave their homes, or place of work, without having microphones pushed down their ears and having questions shouted at them.

I would love to have been a fly on the wall in the Cooper/Balls household when that low-life chancer, Andy Burnham took the Shad Home Secretary job.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    O/T - this is the Kuwaiti response to why they have refused to accept a single Syrian refugee.

‘Kuwait and the other Gulf Cooperation Council countries are too valuable to accept any refugees. Our countries are only fit for workers. It’s too costly to accept them here. Kuwait is too expensive for them anyway. As opposed to Lebanon and Turkey which are cheap. They are better suited for the Syrian refugees.

‘In the end it is not right for us to accept a people that are different from us. We don’t want people that suffer from internal stress and trauma in our country.’

That fabled Muslim ummah in action, eh?

I wonder what Roger's French TV programmes are saying about such selfishness.
    This is end days for Labour - they are salting the earth.

Problem is - nobody apart from yesterdays men Mandy and Blunkett seem to care.

He's against HS2, and was one of the few Labour MPs to rebel the whip and vote against it.

JJ, any thoughts on the revelations that HS2 is going to actually reduce capacity on the existing services rather than increasing it because of losing platforms and lines at Euston? Surely this kind of kills one of the last arguments in favour of the scheme.

I've only seen the background information (and skimmed that) rather than any details, so it depends on how they think it'll work operationally. They might be able to make it work, but there is a great difficulty in cutting things like station dwell-time for trains, as I think has been shown at London Bridge recently.

As an example, apparently the Midland Main Line platforms at St Pancras - moved when the Eurostar terminal was built - are apparently already causing operational problems because there are not enough platform faces.
    The plans were published last week and show a reduction in approach lines from 6 to 4 and a reduction in platforms from 18 to 13 or possibly down to 11.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/hs2/11860650/HS2-will-cut-platforms-at-Euston-by-one-third.html
    Correction: as far as I'm aware 'plans' have not been published, but an outline of the proposed changes have:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/news/hs2-plans-can-unlock-euston-potential

It'll be interesting (to say the least) to see how they think they can manage services whilst still allowing for the usual service disruptions. But I don't blindly believe Gilligan on this.

BTW, a few years ago you said on here that Skype and the like would make HS2 unnecessary. Have you seen how passenger travel has continued to rise since then?

http://orr.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/18095/passenger-rail-usage-2014-15-q4.pdf
  • RobD said:

Blimey, go to bed after hearing there may be a leadership vote in Australia, and wake up to find they have a new PM!

Malcolm Turnbull:
    "Many in his party dislike his support for climate change action and gay marriage"
    The Labour party could learn a lot from the Aussies about how to deal with a failing leader.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

RobD said:

Malcolm Turnbull:
    Wonder how long he will last!
  • PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    JEO said:

Estobar said:

Political betting just reflects the election result that shows right wingers are a majority of the country.
    Your interpretation is understandable, Mr Estobar. It does come over that way at times. Not many people here gave serious thought to Henry Mason´s excellent piece. They just rubbished it, as they are wont to do.

But I think you are right, and Mr JEO is wrong. I have the impression that most of the people who voted for UKIP at the last election are not greatly bothered about Europe, nor even about immigation as such. They just wanted to give a kicking to the political establishment.

As such, they are sitting ducks waiting to be caught in Mr Corbyn´s net. So there could be an opportunity for Labour in their latest anti-establishment moves.

On the other hand, if the destructive anarchist tendency takes over the Labour Party, there is surely a growing space for a responsible, compassionate party - which has to be the Liberal Democrats.

As Henry Mason says, Cameron´s Conservatives are busy giving up all the moderate centre ground that he worked so hard to cultivate.

He just said he would.

YIPPEE!
    TGOHF said:

isam said:

isam said:

Estobar said:

Speak for yourself!
    What me winning or him knocking?!
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766

RobD said:

Malcolm Turnbull:
    When I first heard about Malcolm Turnbull, he was the lawyer representing Peter Wright in the Spycatcher trial. Then he wrote a book.

Then he changed career, formed a finance house, that he built up before selling it Goldman Sachs. Where he subsequently became a partner.

Before changing again, and becoming a politician. And having various jobs. Before becoming Prime Minister.

And he's still a very youthful looking 60.
  • I think the media need to be careful with their incessant coverage of JCorbyn. The "Sky walk" last night, was nothing short of harassment. People don't like it. MPs' are entitled to leave their homes, or place of work, without having microphones pushed down their ears and having questions shouted at them.

I would love to have been a fly on the wall in the Cooper/Balls household when that low-life chancer, Andy Burnham took the Shad Home Secretary job.

I imagine they would be quite happy, because he's just turned his back on the one remaining chance of restoring his credibility.
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Well - just seen a rather tetchy Corbyn not cope well with 3 simple questions from the media - flanked by a very anxious looking Tom Watson. Now we know why we had the long silent walk this morning.
  • MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    isam said:

antifrank said:

I'm in the USA right now so I can't bet, but this looks like a sell to me on a Keynesian beauty contest basis, quite apart from anything else.

The telephone is handy for betting abroad esp phone only markets
    It would still be a crime for antifrank to bet - unwise if his business requires him to visit the US
    edited September 2015
    rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

Malcolm Turnbull:
    When I first heard about Malcolm Turnbull, he was the lawyer representing Peter Wright in the Spycatcher trial. Then he wrote a book.

Then he changed career, formed a finance house, that he built up before selling it Goldman Sachs. Where he subsequently became a partner.

Before changing again, and becoming a politician. And having various jobs. Before becoming Prime Minister.

And I think he founded (and sold) Australian internet company OzMail at some point...

[EDIT: just checked. He was only an investor in it, not the founder.]

The press managed to pin Jezza against a car 30 mins ago and got him to answer a few questions.

In response to the Great Offices of State - he told the reporter [I think from Sky] that he didn't accept the definition and that the journo had views from the 1850s. Makes a change from the 1970s I suppose...

watford30 said:

Not only is Corbyn not being granted a honeymoon, relatives are determined to have a brawl at the wedding

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/sep/13/jeremy-corbyn-victory-energises-the-alienated-labour

There are so many on the outside of the tent pissing in, Corbyn and the Nutcase Collective will be too busy bailing out to do anything constructive.

The 'lets invent some pretendy roles for the ladies' is quite something for 2015.
    The statement about the great offices of state being defined in the 19th century was strange. They are typically viewed as (and probably are) the most important cabinet positions.
  • He just said he would.

YIPPEE!

TGOHF said:

Yes, that is certainly one to tune in for!
  • Aussie politics is a brutal sport, isn't it? Quick to get the knife in.

Lots of (well, 40%) Labour types must be looking at Canberra with jealousy. Bet they wish their representatives were more like convict politicians than conviction politicians.
  • @BBCNormanS: Jeremy Corbyn says he will lead for Labour at PMQs on Wednesday and for the foreseeable future
    I disagree - @LucyJones nailed it when she said he looked like an MP exposed in a major scandal evading the press.

I think the media need to be careful with their incessant coverage of JCorbyn. The "Sky walk" last night, was nothing short of harassment. People don't like it. MPs' are entitled to leave their homes, or place of work, without having microphones pushed down their ears and having questions shouted at them.

• GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 2,995

Hillary Benn was a vegetarian Defra man, so Corbyn's gone one better

TGOHF said:

New shadow Environment Sec Kerry McCarthy - who'll be dealing with farmers - is a vegan

As a one time veggie (now lapsed, but still mostly veggie), there is a million miles between being veggie and vegan.
    Indeed. Veganism (proper, pure, veganism) is a far-reaching philosophical stance; it's a rejection of the commoditisation of animals full-stop. The fact that this is impossible doesn't stop them. Fine on a personal basis, but when proselytising they shout loudest and give their rational, moderate consensus-reaching colleagues a bad name (now who does that remind me of?).

Quite a lot of dietary vegans and near vegans, plain vegetarians (me included) and a growing number of meat-eaters are more realistic and want a welfare-focused debate rather than a rights-focused one.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688
    Quite surprised Cruddas hasn't got a post.

Not surprised at all that Lammy's been left out - bet he was expecting something.

The level of respect for Burnham amongst his fellow MPs is I imagine almost zero.
    Cyclefree said:

O/T - this is the Kuwaiti response to why they have refused to accept a single Syrian refugee.

‘Kuwait and the other Gulf Cooperation Council countries are too valuable to accept any refugees. Our countries are only fit for workers. It’s too costly to accept them here. Kuwait is too expensive for them anyway. As opposed to Lebanon and Turkey which are cheap. They are better suited for the Syrian refugees.

‘In the end it is not right for us to accept a people that are different from us. We don’t want people that suffer from internal stress and trauma in our country.’

Rather blunt - but then they don't have pesky elections to fret them.
    Scott_P said:

When the creator of The thick of It is taking the piss...

@Aiannucci: Following appointment of John McDonnell, Jeremy Corbyn refuses to serve in Shadow Cabinet.

He must be tempted to bring it back. Nicola Murray has nothing on Corbz.
  • Cyclefree said:

Is that for real?

Surely it's simply a case of Burnham making the best of a bad job - after all he's never going to get another tilt at the LabourParty leadership. He's a bit cheeky to have already tried twice.
    Mind you, nether will Cooper nor Balls, but perhaps they are still kidding themselves that they just might.
    "Chris Bryant, the former shadow culture secretary, was reportedly offered the shadow defence secretary role, but the move fell through after a “30 minute conversation about what would happen if we had to invade Russia”."

Hah!

@BBCNormanS: Jeremy Corbyn says he will lead for Labour at PMQs on Wednesday and for the foreseeable future

Hello, Occado

My popcorn delivery...

What do you mean, sold out?
  • @BBCNormanS: Jeremy Corbyn says he will lead for Labour at PMQs on Wednesday and for the foreseeable future

Another U-turn.

Bad news for the Bullingdon boy.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950

Estobar said:

glw said:

From his point of view he'll not get a fair hearing from 'the right wing press', so why talk to them.

If he doesn't his opponents will. Basically you are saying Corbyn should only speak to his existing supporters. That's politically stupid.
    No it's power to the people comrade. Grassroots up, social media, revolution. All tongue-in-cheek aside he swept to power with 1/2 million voters backing him by 50% to 19% nearest rival. He packed out meetings up and down the country and he has got everyone, including you all on here, talking about him and his policies.

We've not seen anything like this in a long time.
    A 1/4 million voters backing him, not 1/2 million.

Yes, it was a stunning victory and he's dominated the news cycles since. It's not a route to electoral victory though.
    This is the Russell Brandisation of politics. Gaining a lot (1m in his case) of support on social media is one thing.

But I would wager that many of those 1m can distinguish between a stale comic with nothing to say who lends himself to ridicule, and a coherent political philosophy.

As can they with Jezza.

There are 11 new platforms being built. Capacity on the existing line is released by the new high speed line. This increases capacity for services between all the stopping points on the original line.
    There is clearly going to be disruption once work starts.

Meantime Birmingham gets a new station and regeneration.
    http://www.birminghampost.co.uk/business/curzon-street-station-transformed-massive-6750166
    ''will be one of the biggest urban regeneration schemes in Britain''
    ''boost the city’s economy by £1.3 billion each year with more than 14,000 jobs, 148 acres of new employment floorspace and 2,000 new homes.''
    ''Birmingham Curzon station will be the first new station to be built in the city for over 100 years and will be the biggest building in the city''
    ''This is about connectivity in the local area of Eastside and Digbeth, but there is a wider set of connectivity issues for Greater Birmingham''

Despite what that numpty Corbyn pretends, HS2 is not simply about London and Euston.
    http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/business/business-news/revealed-plans-massive-piccadilly-station-5835480
  • taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    '' But I think you are right, and Mr JEO is wrong. I have the impression that most of the people who voted for UKIP at the last election are not greatly bothered about Europe, nor even about immigation as such. They just wanted to give a kicking to the political establishment.''

I rather think Mr Isam might disagree with you.
    It just all smacks of post-decision rationalisation. Oh, we don't have enough wimmin, let's redefine what the big jobs are - oh and let's give Angela Eagle another job after Twitter went bonkers.
    RobD said:

watford30 said:

The statement about the great offices of state being defined in the 19th century was strange. They are typically viewed as (and probably are) the most important cabinet positions.
    taffys said:

'' But I think you are right, and Mr JEO is wrong. I have the impression that most of the people who voted for UKIP at the last election are not greatly bothered about Europe, nor even about immigation as such. They just wanted to give a kicking to the political establishment.''

I rather think Mr Isam might disagree with you.

I think generalising about supporters of political parties is a mugs game :-)
    I have always known I enjoy politics, but I never realised I could enjoy politics THIS MUCH.

felix said:

Vegan appointed shadow agriculture minister.

Surely this is a joke?

Well it can't be a yoke.
    It's certainly eggstraordinary.
    Un oeuf with the egg jokes...
    No - soldier on!
  • The Kuwaitis did not seem to have a problem with people who were different to them when the allied forces kicked Saddam out..hypocrites..

Cyclefree said:

Is that for real?
    I saw a video of that w subtitles but thought it was a joke... My whatever language they speak is a bit rusty
  • rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

Malcolm Turnbull:

I knew him vaguely at Oxford.

There is an unrepeatable (and quite possibly untrue) story about him a a Tory MP
    Very true - he's done more crawling to get a job than I've ever seen.

Do we know how many of Corbyn's nominators have jobs? And who's been conspicuously left out?
    Omnium said:

Not surprised at all that Lammy's been left out - bet he was expecting something.

The level of respect for Burnham amongst his fellow MPs is I imagine almost zero.

• In reply to Estobar's comment about social media, I thought I would dig around and look for some stats on Twitter usage. It is suggested there are around 10 million Twitter users but around half of these are in the 18-34 age group, which has some of the worst turn out levels. 13% are too young to vote. 19% are 35-44, 11% are 45-54 and only 8% are 55 or over (the highest turnout groups). TV remains the most important medium for the highest turnout groups of voters.

It's interesting to see how the different age groups communicate.

My Nan (aged 90s) - phone, letter
    My parents (60s) - e-mail, phone, text (my Dad)
    Me (36) - Text, Facebook, e-mail

PClipp said:

JEO said:

Estobar said:

Political betting just reflects the election result that shows right wingers are a majority of the country.
    Your interpretation is understandable, Mr Estobar. It does come over that way at times. Not many people here gave serious thought to Henry Mason´s excellent piece. They just rubbished it, as they are wont to do.

But I think you are right, and Mr JEO is wrong. I have the impression that most of the people who voted for UKIP at the last election are not greatly bothered about Europe, nor even about immigation as such. They just wanted to give a kicking to the political establishment.

As such, they are sitting ducks waiting to be caught in Mr Corbyn´s net. So there could be an opportunity for Labour in their latest anti-establishment moves.

On the other hand, if the destructive anarchist tendency takes over the Labour Party, there is surely a growing space for a responsible, compassionate party - which has to be the Liberal Democrats.

As Henry Mason says, Cameron´s Conservatives are busy giving up all the moderate centre ground that he worked so hard to cultivate.

In my experience, many of the not very politically interested that dislike the establishment class often have very right wing views on development aid, criminal justice and immigration.
    RobD said:

"Chris Bryant, the former shadow culture secretary, was reportedly offered the shadow defence secretary role, but the move fell through after a “30 minute conversation about what would happen if we had to invade Russia”."

Hah!

It's always the trick questions that get them :) I presume he was worried about gay rights.:)
    PClipp said:

JEO said:

Estobar said:

The reason the article - and by the way it's Henry MaNson not Mason - was rubbished was because HM seemed to think that cutting back on child benefit was an example of a government being authoritarian. This is a fantastically stupid example to use.

The only worthwhile point he made was one that a number of right wingers on here - DavidL for instance - made a few days ago - which is that it is essential to have a worthwhile opposition because without one governments become hubristic, complacent, lazy and this is not in the interests of good government of us all, regardless of party affiliation.

• MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,281
    edited September 2015
    Where are comments on the BBC News website?

There used to be comments at the bottom of stories - they no longer seem to be there.

eg Main Corbyn story:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34240869

There is a form at the bottom to fill in to submit comments. But where do you actually see the comments?
  • isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Estobar said:

Speak for yourself!
    What me winning or him knocking?!
    When you put it like that, he comes out of it with even less credit

Its the fact that this should be news that is the news.
  • CD13CD13 Posts: 6,349
    Mr Lipp,

"I have the impression that most of the people who voted for UKIP at the last election are not greatly bothered about Europe, nor even about immigation as such. They just wanted to give a kicking to the political establishment."

Guilty as charged but ...

Mrs Duffy has said she won't vote Labour while Jezza is LOTO and that is where the danger lies. And I think Jezza is as crazy as a shit house rat.

Older people vote. Twitter screechers don't.

• RobD said:

Hah!

Doesn't reflect well on Bryant's common sense much either, does it?

If we had to invade Russia, we'd all be buggered.
  • rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

Malcolm Turnbull:

There is an unrepeatable (and quite possibly untrue) story about him a a Tory MP
    Male or female ?

A quiet, intelligent but noncommittal response could have shut up the two pavement interviewers from the outset, as well as making them look rather rude and silly. Corbyn showed his total inexperience and lack of common sense by failing to deal with the situation.
    On a small point of detail, aren't microphones pushed down interviewees' throats, rather than "down their ears"?
    Political Scrapbook @PSbook
    Shadow cabinet: 12 men, 10 women. Attending shadow cabinet: 3 men, 6 women.

There are 11 new platforms being built. Capacity on the existing line is released by the new high speed line. This increases capacity for services between all the stopping points on the original line.

http://www.birminghampost.co.uk/business/curzon-street-station-transformed-massive-6750166
    ''boost the city’s economy by £1.3 billion each year with more than 14,000 jobs, 148 acres of new employment floorspace and 2,000 new homes.''
    ''Birmingham Curzon station will be the first new station to be built in the city for over 100 years and will be the biggest building in the city''
    ''This is about connectivity in the local area of Eastside and Digbeth, but there is a wider set of connectivity issues for Greater Birmingham''

Despite what that numpty Corbyn pretends, HS2 is not simply about London and Euston.
    http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/business/business-news/revealed-plans-massive-piccadilly-station-5835480
    Erm no. According to the reports there will be a permanent reduction in the non HS2 platforms from 18 to 13 and a reduction from 6 to 4 lines. So how exactly does it help free up capacity on the non HS2 network? That was the last big selling point.

And all the waffle about new stations at Birmingham is a complete red herring. We are talking about reduced capacity on the lines coming into London.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688

Do we know how many of Corbyn's nominators have jobs? And who's been conspicuously left out?

Omnium said:

I found a link from the Mirror which seems to have the lists of who nominated whom. Corbyn has appointed a few of his backers, but not overwhelmingly so.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/whos-nominating-who-labour-leadership-5858576
  • MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited September 2015

Cyclefree said:

Is that for real?
    Douglas Murray posted it in the Spectator

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/douglas-murray/2015/09/now-we-know-where-the-celebrated-ummah-is/

After finding a video, presumably on Twitter, which (although the article says it is linking to), he doesn't seem to have actually included a link to.

Have a search for

"Fahad Alshalami, Kuwaiti official, explaining why the gulf countries aren’t taking Syrian refugees With subtitles"

You'll find this video.

https://twitter.com/hassan_jbr/status/640222369278218240?lang=en-gb

But I haven't (in a couple of minutes of searching) managed to verify the source of the video (it's labelled up as France24 but best to be a bit cautious with stuff you trawl up online), have no idea whether the guy in the video genuinely is a Kuwaiti official, and nor do I know who wrote the subtitles and whether they are accurate.

But it's not something Mrs Cyclefree has made up.

RobD said:

Hah!

Doesn't reflect well on Bryant's common sense much either, does it?

If we had to invade Russia, we'd all be buggered.
    A very unfortunate turn of phrase old chap. :)

Political Scrapbook @PSbook
    Shadow cabinet: 12 men, 10 women. Attending shadow cabinet: 3 men, 6 women.

Outrageously dominated by women!!
    I've left Sky News on since 0700. I know the moment I tune out - I'll miss something that'll make me laugh or gasp.
    JEO said:

I have always known I enjoy politics, but I never realised I could enjoy politics THIS MUCH.

• The last 24 hours have made the famous Osborne budget of 2012 look like Operation Overlord in comparison.
    @PickardJE: John Healey says shad-cab can now say anything: "Days of simply looking to the leader and the leader's office for 'the line' are over."

That will be fun during a campaign...
  • rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

Malcolm Turnbull:

Male or female ?
    That's why it's unrepeatable.....

Cyclefree said:

Is that for real?
    Yes. You are surely not surprised.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2015/09/now-we-know-where-the-celebrated-ummah-is/

• TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited September 2015
    Estobar said:

glw said:

From his point of view he'll not get a fair hearing from 'the right wing press', so why talk to them.

If he doesn't his opponents will. Basically you are saying Corbyn should only speak to his existing supporters. That's politically stupid.
    No it's power to the people comrade. ...........
    We've not seen anything like this in a long time.
    True. Not since the late 1970s/early 1980s.
    :smiley:

Toby Harnden @tobyharnden
    Surprised he's not joined the Corbyn cabinet as shadow secretary for the occupied six counties
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,958
    Cyclefree said:

(FPT) JEO said:
    "Has the shadow minister for Jews, Muslims and other assorted non-Christians been announced yet?"

Err, hello. The biggest minority faith in Britain is Catholicism. We're not going to be lumped in with CoE types, thank you very much. We want - DEMAND - our own Minister to make sure that our particular views on transubstantiation, original sin, the Nicene creed and the price of fish are properly taken into account in government policy. Plus we want a special law saying that we mustn't be offended and a special monitoring team to make sure that rude things said about us are recorded and people told off for being Catholicophobic.

Oh and the price of incense should be lowered and we need to have lots of money given to us for all the babies we have. Lots of money. Lots and lots. Because if you don't you are being "authoritarian" (copyright: H Manson, the Labour Party (currently in receivership)).

So you want a Minister for Popery AND a Minister for Potpourri?
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,846
    edited September 2015

Another reason to dislike Corbyn:

Correction: as far as I'm aware 'plans' have not been published, but an outline of the proposed changes have:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/news/hs2-plans-can-unlock-euston-potential

It'll be interesting (to say the least) to see how they think they can manage services whilst still allowing for the usual service disruptions. But I don't blindly believe Gilligan on this.

BTW, a few years ago you said on here that Skype and the like would make HS2 unnecessary. Have you seen how passenger travel has continued to rise since then?

http://orr.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/18095/passenger-rail-usage-2014-15-q4.pdf
    Nope you are misquoting me. I said Skype and the like could make it unnecessary if we had the proper investment in high speed fibre optic broadband. But since we are squandering such vast sums of money on HS2 it doesn't seem that is going to be a possibility in the foreseeable future.

As an aside many companies have drastically reduced the number of people travelling offshore to the North Sea by the use of remote operations. Where the oil companies lead, eventually many other companies will follow - but only if the infrastructure is available.

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

Malcolm Turnbull:

Male or female ?
    Hm, its 2015. That sort of thing is less titillating than it used to be.
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited September 2015

The last 24 hours have made the famous Osborne budget of 2012 look like Operation Overlord in comparison.

Well of course the Corbyn victory was such a surprise, they didn't have any chance to prepare...
  • The last 24 hours have made the famous Osborne budget of 2012 look like Operation Overlord in comparison.

For Labour it's like been the American on Dog Green Sector of Omaha Beach only to find it's their own side shooting them.
    Top trolling

@Aiannucci: Jeremy Corbyn announces that, if toppled, he will not serve in a Chuka Umunna shadow cabinet.
    Estobar said:

No. It does, but it's not.

There are centrists and leftists and even the odd cybernat on here. Stick it out.

Erm no. According to the reports there will be a permanent reduction in the non HS2 platforms from 18 to 13 and a reduction from 6 to 4 lines. So how exactly does it help free up capacity on the non HS2 network? That was the last big selling point.

And all the waffle about new stations at Birmingham is a complete red herring. We are talking about reduced capacity on the lines coming into London.
    Only on a certain part of the route into London. Whether there will be enough depends on the service patterns they want to run after HS2 opens (leaving aside the rather large issue of construction disruption). You also ignore the increased services on other parts of the network, and freight users.

AIUI, if they also redevelop the rest of Euston, they might be able to shoehorn more 'conventional' platforms in.

Basically: it's far too early to believe Gilligan's scare stories.

Such a shame the Cheshire Farmer is no longer here to regale us with his insightful analysis.....

Well of course the Corbyn victory was such a surprise, they didn't have any chance to prepare...
    Jeremy Corbyn = Hannibal as this was his Cannae.

He got lucky facing some inept opposition, Burnham and his supporters who lent their nominations to Corbyn = Varro and Paullus

Only on a certain part of the route into London. Whether there will be enough depends on the service patterns they want to run after HS2 opens (leaving aside the rather large issue of construction disruption). You also ignore the increased services on other parts of the network, and freight users.

AIUI, if they also redevelop the rest of Euston, they might be able to shoehorn more 'conventional' platforms in.

Basically: it's far too early to believe Gilligan's scare stories.
    So you are relying upon the possibility of a redevelopment that is not even being planned and may well never happen to deal with a congestion issue which will happen and is already being planned.
    Fab, thanx
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

I found a link from the Mirror which seems to have the lists of who nominated whom. Corbyn has appointed a few of his backers, but not overwhelmingly so.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/whos-nominating-who-labour-leadership-5858576
    Ghedebrav said:

Estobar said:

No. It does, but it's not.

There are centrists and leftists and even the odd cybernat on here. Stick it out.
    Yeah, we're noisier than usual due to winning a majority when being told we'd never win one ever again (that might take a while to dissipate), and because of the right horlicks the Labour party are in these days :D
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,080
    edited September 2015
    Hmmm.

SPIN: 'We are not offering that market. Someone on a blog asked us for a price. It was a PR Exercise.'

Time for a thread about the #LabourPurge.

That was the hashtag used by the Corbynites while they said their voters were being purged.
  • RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

Malcolm Turnbull:

Male or female ?
    Hm, its 2015. That sort of thing is less titillating than it used to be.
    No, but since Turnbull has been married for 35 years I very much doubt its veracity - tho it may reveal a lot about the fantasies of the teller of the tale.....a not unprominant London politician....
  • Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited September 2015

The last 24 hours have made the famous Osborne budget of 2012 look like Operation Overlord in comparison.

The moderates have been cute in taking their time deciding whether or not they can serve, or under what conditions, so helping to create an impression of chaos.

They've probably acquired a few promises from Corbyn too (though apparently he's been saying different things to different people).

Sooner or later, as Tim Montgomerie suggests, the rolling resignations will start. About one a month, maybe?

Cyclefree said:

(FPT) JEO said:
    "Has the shadow minister for Jews, Muslims and other assorted non-Christians been announced yet?"

Err, hello. The biggest minority faith in Britain is Catholicism. We're not going to be lumped in with CoE types, thank you very much. We want - DEMAND - our own Minister to make sure that our particular views on transubstantiation, original sin, the Nicene creed and the price of fish are properly taken into account in government policy. Plus we want a special law saying that we mustn't be offended and a special monitoring team to make sure that rude things said about us are recorded and people told off for being Catholicophobic.

Oh and the price of incense should be lowered and we need to have lots of money given to us for all the babies we have. Lots of money. Lots and lots. Because if you don't you are being "authoritarian" (copyright: H Manson, the Labour Party (currently in receivership)).

So you want a Minister for Popery AND a Minister for Potpourri?
    Brilliant!

• MattWMattW Posts: 18,080

Fab, thanx

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

The NS version is easier to search. No silly buttons.
    http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2015/06/who-nominated-who-2015-labour-leadership-election
  • MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Estobar said:

For weeks, months, years Corbyn has been pushing the refugee issue. Cameron has reacted.

Political discourse in Britain is moving left and this is the greatest gift Corbyn has given.

Anyway, back to the more interesting question. Cameron has the thinnest majority in Parliament for c. 40 years. There are a number of ways in which the Conservatives could be out of office before 2020.

Remember, the SNP will definitely ally with a Corbyn-led Labour. The LibDems? I don't know but they would probably never again go with the Tories. How many 'others' could Cameron rely on in the event that he loses 5 by-elections? Some Ulstermen, perhaps, but that's going to look as shoddy as some of you right wingers looking across at Corbyn.

Interesting times ahead. Don't be too cocky you Conservatives. Don't be too cocky.

Estobar, I admire your ability to analyze events through rose-tinted glasses. However, where I do agree with you, and implicitly with Henry Mason's otherwise ridiculous article in the last thread, is that the Tories must not be too cocky.

However, all the Tories need to do in the absence of a credible opposition is to avoid being high-handed and to govern competently. If they can achieve those modest goals, then they should have nothing to worry about until Labour or the LDs regroup enough to offer a credible alternative government.
  • tysontyson Posts: 6,049
    Corbyn needs to find some quick wins, somewhere to change the narrative. A reasonable performance at PMQ's is the obvious place.

He needs to charm a press conference, self deprecate, play on his anti politician image- in other words he needs to learn how to spin and fast.