Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ladbrokes makes 2020 or later the favourite for Mr Corbyn’s

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited September 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ladbrokes makes 2020 or later the favourite for Mr Corbyn’s departure

I think the logic Ladbrokes are employing is given Corbyn’s overwhelming mandate and Labour’s general aversion to replacing poorly performing leaders makes it likely Corbyn will last until the election. It is hard to criticise that logic.

Read the full story here

Comments

• First!
  • Flash Corbyn - saviour of the Universe!
  • While it is true the PLP shows commendable courage under fire, and stoic refusal to panic (yes, Tories, I'm looking at you) or get rid of failing leaders, Corbyn is testing 'presentational malhandling' to destruction - for every non-voting republican privately cheering his non-singing of GSTQ there are dozens, if not hundreds of older voters hardening their resolve to never let the man near power - and elephants and oldies never forget.......
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @e_casalicchio: Jeremy Corbyn: Labour will 'fight Trade Union Bill and repeal in 2020 if needed' - http://t.co/OQfNfpvxEB http://t.co/iNBXxixhPj

Vote Labour for more Tube Strikes !!!
  • While it is true the PLP shows commendable courage under fire, and stoic refusal to panic (yes, Tories, I'm looking at you) or get rid of failing leaders, Corbyn is testing 'presentational malhandling' to destruction - for every non-voting republican privately cheering his non-singing of GSTQ there are dozens, if not hundreds of older voters hardening their resolve to never let the man near power - and elephants and oldies never forget.......

The PLP should accept the Leadership result - Corbyn won fair and square with 59.5%.
  • FPT: & off-topic:

On Thursday there's an election in my ward, provoked by the resignation (for a second time) of a Conservative councillor for work reasons.

So far, we've had one UKIP and Lib Dem leaflets through the door, along with two Conservative ones - the second I think is the largest political leaflet I've seen for some time.

The Conservatives appear to be trying really hard here and spending some dosh, even on a local election.
    Right wing rag...

@GdnPolitics: Corbyn stands silent during national anthem at Battle of Britain service http://t.co/vYWWqQP3tx
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Polling News....Polling News....Polling News

In an extraordinary new poll carried out by the telegraph online 78% agreed that Jeremy corbyn 'lacked respect' by not checking to see if his shirt button was securely fastened. 22% disagreed.

(NB. The 22% have had their subscription to the newspaper terminated till further notice)
  • Odds-on to go at some point before the election, though. I quite like the look of 8/1 2018 or 12/1 2019.
  • Scott_P said:

Right wing rag...

@GdnPolitics: Corbyn stands silent during national anthem at Battle of Britain service http://t.co/vYWWqQP3tx

Hardly surprising is it?
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited September 2015
    Shadsy is, as usual, probably right. If anything, 6/4 looks on the generous side to me, although you'd have to tie your money up for nearly 5 years. One wildcard is the possibility of an earlier election: the Fixed Term Act would not be an insuperable obstacle, and the temptation to go earlier whilst Labour are in maximum chaos, or in response to whatever happens in the EU referendum, should be borne in mind.
    Scott_P

Right wing rag

Couldn't agree more. This is how you do it....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIwBvjoLyZc
  • Shadsy is, as usual, probably right. If anything, 6/4 looks on the generous side to me, although you'd have to tie your money up for nearly 5 years. One wildcard is the possibility of an earlier election: the Fixed Term Act would not be an insuperable obstacle, and the temptation to go earlier whilst Labour are in maximum chaos, or in response to whatever happens in the EU referendum,should be borne in mind.

Well you can take 6/4 with shadsy and Evens with Paddy that "Any Other" leads Labour into the next G.E. Only risk would be an early G.E., as you say.
  • Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    A bit of a donkey-jacket moment, me thinks.
    Scott_P said:

Right wing rag...

• If I was Cameron sitting on a teensy majority while the LibDems are still picking bits of themselves up off the floor and the main opposition is busy entertaining itself in a gentleman's way, I think I'd be looking at scenarios for an early election.

I know there's the Fixed Terms Act but it would be hard for the opposition to vote against an election if Cameron asked for one, and failing that he could always pull a Schröder and pass a vote of no-confidence in himself.
  • on Krugman from past thread:

He's right. Except for the politics of the situation. Ed Balls spent the first years of his shadow chancellor trying to explain all this to voters and seemed to get nowhere. Maybe he started too late as Alan Johnson had the job initially, maybe gave up too soon, maybe he was forced to by internal pollsters and focus groupies - who knows, we'll have to wait for the memoire.

The essential problem is, rightly or wrongly, the vast majority of voters believe we have "maxed out" and there needs to be a reduction in spending.

How does Labour square that circle?
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited September 2015

Shadsy is, as usual, probably right. If anything, 6/4 looks on the generous side to me, although you'd have to tie your money up for nearly 5 years. One wildcard is the possibility of an earlier election: the Fixed Term Act would not be an insuperable obstacle, and the temptation to go earlier whilst Labour are in maximum chaos, or in response to whatever happens in the EU referendum,should be borne in mind.

Well you can take 6/4 with shadsy and Evens with Paddy that "Any Other" leads Labour into the next G.E. Only risk would be an early G.E., as you say.
    I think you're right about the 8/1 on 2018. If there is to be a defenestration, that would be a good time to open the window, ideally in time for or at the time of the 2018 Labour conference.

Edit: And you might luck out and catch Osborne's bid for his own mandate at a GE. I'm on!
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,279
    Redwood was trying hard not to sing:

Whales, Whales, Bloody great fishes are Whales.
    They swim in the sea.
    We have them for tea.
    Bloody great fishes are Whales.
  • TwistedFireStopperTwistedFireStopper Posts: 2,538
    edited September 2015
    Plato_Says
    It's our national anthem, it's not republicanism unless he's selectively applying his principles since he's now a PC.

I just can't get excited about it. I also think it is ok to be a bit selective in his principles concerning parliament. To be an effective LOTO, he probably needs to compromise on the PC issue, but I don't think it is compulsory to sing the national anthem. This ain't North Korea.

• CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    edited September 2015

Scott_P said:

Right wing rag...

"Mr Corbyn, is it because you don't respect the Queen, or is it the RAF Pilots who defended Britain in 1940 you don't respect that you didn't sing the National Anthem at the memorial service?"

"These people are bothering me"......
  • The question is whether Corbyn himself quits.

Labour are frit, but I wouldn't buy him being in post 5 years from now. 2018 or 2019 look like value.
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,279
    Tim Stanley tweeted

Many Corbyn activists asked "what would Attlee do?"
    As a patriot who fought at Gallipoli, I'm guessing he'd do up his tie at a memorial.

Somehow I doubt that Major Attlee MP MC would have not sung God Save The Queen.
    The excuse that he's a republican makes me want to barf. This isn't about him, it's about respecting the fallen and singing OUR national anthem. Until we're a republic [never in my view], he should sing it for the purpose that it signifies.

The pulled down tie just looks like he's a teenager who doesn't want to look smart at a funeral.
    SeanT said:

Ed Miliband: "Whenever I look at Jeremy Corbyn in a half buttoned shirt and tie I just think DISRESPECT"

Rilly. This is Corbyn's biggest fuck up yet. You're either gonna go to an RAF memorial in a properly buttunoed shirt and tie, ready to sing the national anthem - or you're not.

You don't turn up just to make it plain you feel no respect whatsoever for proceedings, whistling and sneering, looking at your watch, sighing heavily, smirking.

What a tit.

• JEOJEO Posts: 3,656

Scott_P said:

Right wing rag...

Is there footage of that? I can imagine an advert of Corbyn not singing, intermitted with comments from him and his cabinet ministers:

"The British invented racism"
    "It was the bombs and bullets and sacrifice made by the likes of Bobby Sands that brought Britain to the negotiating table."
    "I've also invited friends from Hamas to come and speak as well"
    Oh dear.

A shadow minister at the despatch box has just said shw will "not respond to any point asking about things the Leader of the Opposition said before he became leader"...
  • This Corbyn clown will not last until 2020..
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/Jeremy_Corbyn/11865935/Jeremy-Corbyn-arrives-for-first-official-engagement-wearing-tie.html
    JEO said:

Scott_P said:

Right wing rag...

Is there footage of that? I can imagine an advert of Corbyn not singing, intermitted with comments from him and his cabinet ministers:

"The British invented racism"
    "It was the bombs and bullets and sacrifice made by the likes of Bobby Sands that brought Britain to the negotiating table."
    "I've also invited friends from Hamas to come and speak as well"
  • The excuse that he's a republican makes me want to barf. This isn't about him, it's about respecting the fallen and singing OUR national anthem. Until we're a republic [never in my view], he should sing it for the purpose that it signifies.

The pulled down tie just looks like he's a teenager who doesn't want to look smart at a funeral.

SeanT said:

Ed Miliband: "Whenever I look at Jeremy Corbyn in a half buttoned shirt and tie I just think DISRESPECT"

Rilly. This is Corbyn's biggest fuck up yet. You're either gonna go to an RAF memorial in a properly buttunoed shirt and tie, ready to sing the national anthem - or you're not.

You don't turn up just to make it plain you feel no respect whatsoever for proceedings, whistling and sneering, looking at your watch, sighing heavily, smirking.

What a tit.

As a devout atheist, I never join in with any recitation of the Lord's Prayer or similar thing when present at an event where such a thing takes place.

That is no different to a republican not joining in with a song that exists to worship monarchy

If our national anthem was 'Land of Hope and Glory' (as I think it probably should be) then he certainly should join in
  • watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    Scott_P said:

Oh dear.

A shadow minister at the despatch box has just said shw will "not respond to any point asking about things the Leader of the Opposition said before he became leader"...

Year Zero.
  • I just can't get excited about it. I also think it is ok to be a bit selective in his principles concerning parliament. To be an effective LOTO, he probably needs to compromise on the PC issue, but I don't think it is compulsory to sing the national anthem. This ain't North Korea.

No-one's saying it's compulsory. Corbyn is free to keep silent and look scruffy, awkward and glum, and voters are free to vote for someone patriotic, properly dressed, and respectful.
  • Corbyn happily sings the ‘Red Flag’ with gusto, but remains silent to ‘God save the Queen’.

It’s a little thing, but the significance is huge and will not go unnoticed by a great many Brits.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,729

Plato_Says
    It's our national anthem, it's not republicanism unless he's selectively applying his principles since he's now a PC.

I just can't get excited about it. I also think it is ok to be a bit selective in his principles concerning parliament. To be an effective LOTO, he probably needs to compromise on the PC issue, but I don't think it is compulsory to sing the national anthem. This ain't North Korea.

http://youtu.be/iAwagCwJj-g

That is no different to a republican not joining in with a song that exists to worship monarchy

Absolutely. Republican Party leaders should take a principled stance...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA17CsRffXI

Labour are frit, but I wouldn't buy him being in post 5 years from now. 2018 or 2019 look like value.

The even bigger question is: who the heck is there to replace him?
    I'm an atheist and don't say the Lord's Prayer - but when at a funeral I sing along to the hymns out of respect.

The National Anthem is our national anthem. He's got no problem singing The Red Flag.

The excuse that he's a republican makes me want to barf. This isn't about him, it's about respecting the fallen and singing OUR national anthem. Until we're a republic [never in my view], he should sing it for the purpose that it signifies.

SeanT said:

What a tit.

As a devout atheist, I never join in with any recitation of the Lord's Prayer or similar thing when present at an event where such a thing takes place.

If our national anthem was 'Land of Hope and Glory' (as I think it probably should be) then he certainly should join in
    watford30 said:

Year Zero.

It gets better. She stopped he speech to make the point, then resumed with "Before the 2010 election David Cameron said..." with apparently NO hint of irony
  • I'd say Corbyn is clearly unelectable in his current guise- he's trying to shift the Labour party and the nation sharply left at a time when neither is that far from the centre. He has the added baggage of his years as an antagonistic backbencher and professional politician that his opponents can't wait to drag up.
    I do believe, however, the he won't be as bad -or as good- as the more partisan posters on here wish him to be. That is unless the Labour party does indeed go batshit crazy and tears itself apart- something I passionately hope occurs, so that a more appealing party might rise out of the ashes.
  • Enjoy: :lol:

http://uk.businessinsider.com/uk-general-election-vote-statistics-how-the-left-gained-2015-5

"The UK general election was actually a huge win for the British left"
    edited September 2015

The question is whether Corbyn himself quits.

Tom Watson must be hopeful. Keep an eye on him.
  • richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited September 2015
    Scott P Which can only make it worse for them.. every question to a Shadow Minister could start with "Is the Shadow Minister aware...." I wonder if this was a decision taken at he Shadow Cabinet meeting last night..it can only get funnier..
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    dr_spyn said:

Tim Stanley tweeted

As a patriot who fought at Gallipoli, I'm guessing he'd do up his tie at a memorial.

Isn't the point about the National Anthem that it's the national anthem? It's not the disrespect to the Queen but to the nation that's the issue. If you care about such things.

I think there are more important things to criticise Corbyn about than this. Generally I think that if you turn up at some service it is no more than good manners to behave as is required e.g. taking one's shoes off in a mosque or wearing a kippah in a synagogue etc etc. Your own personal feelings are irrelevant and if they are that important to you then don't go.

BTW since it is Battle of Britain day I just thought I'd share the fact that my father was a Squadron Leader: one of the Few. Sadly no longer with us.

edited September 2015

No-one's saying it's compulsory. Corbyn is free to keep silent and look scruffy, awkward and glum, and voters are free to vote for someone patriotic, properly dressed, and respectful.
    He certainly does have that right, and of course the electorate have the right to not vote for him. A lot of posters on here are going pretty nuts about him not singing it, though.
  • And now, of course, at every single service of this kind, reporters will be looking to see what Corbyn does. If he stays true to what he considers to be his 'principles', the impression of being a curmudgeonly unpatriotic Trot completely out of touch with Britain will just keep mounting. If he starts mouthing the words or singing properly he'll look like a hypocrite and be accused of a sell-out by his extremist supporters.

It's a lose-lose, but the PB Tories (and many, many others) have been warning Labour of the disaster right from the start.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/uk-general-election-vote-statistics-how-the-left-gained-2015-5

Isn't this just saying that there was a modest swing from the Tories to Labour? That isn't news, is it?
    edited September 2015
    Come on Jeremy if Nicola can find her way into Vogue in can only be a matter of time......

http://www.vogue.co.uk/news/2015/09/07/nicola-sturgeon-british-vogue-october-2015

AMAZING

I would agree with that.

It's also worth remembering that it's far from impossible that there might be a general election in either of those two years.
  • Maybe he should have whistled along to the tune, like Daley Thompson!

Enjoy: :lol:

I like the way he just classifies the Lib Dems as a right wing party without explanation.
    Condolences. And you're quite correct - there's a landfill site worth of horrors in Corbyn's past - however, symbolism maketh a brand.

And within 72hrs of taking office, the LotO has gathered a remarkable amount of bad PR that will stick.
    Cyclefree said:

dr_spyn said:

Tim Stanley tweeted

Isn't the point about the National Anthem that it's the national anthem? It's not the disrespect to the Queen but to the nation that's the issue. If you care about such things.

I think there are more important things to criticise Corbyn about than this. Generally I think that if you turn up at some service it is no more than good manners to behave as is required e.g. taking one's shoes off in a mosque or wearing a kippah in a synagogue etc etc. Your own personal feelings are irrelevant and if they are that important to you then don't go.

BTW since it is Battle of Britain day I just thought I'd share the fact that my father was a Squadron Leader: one of the Few. Sadly no longer with us.

• TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950

on Krugman from past thread:

He's right. Except for the politics of the situation. Ed Balls spent the first years of his shadow chancellor trying to explain all this to voters and seemed to get nowhere. Maybe he started too late as Alan Johnson had the job initially, maybe gave up too soon, maybe he was forced to by internal pollsters and focus groupies - who knows, we'll have to wait for the memoire.

The essential problem is, rightly or wrongly, the vast majority of voters believe we have "maxed out" and there needs to be a reduction in spending.

How does Labour square that circle?

as mentioned fpt also -

The deficit wasn't the issue, and as an own-currency issuing nation with low inflation, austerity may or may not have been needed at that time. The issue was and is the size and rate of growth of the State, and the rate of spending between 1997-2010, which included the boom years (although of course we all know what Gordo thought about that).

And yes, you are right, there was a 1997 moment as the public were sick of the govt, this time of its spending. Bad luck on Lab that the most high-profile element of it came during the GFC. But they should have been sick of it since 2003 if not earlier.
  • I'd say Corbyn is clearly unelectable in his current guise- he's trying to shift the Labour party and the nation sharply left at a time when neither is that far from the centre. He has the added baggage of his years as an antagonistic backbencher and professional politician that his opponents can't wait to drag up.
    I do believe, however, the he won't be as bad -or as good- as the more partisan posters on here wish him to be. That is unless the Labour party does indeed go batshit crazy and tears itself apart- something I passionately hope occurs, so that a more appealing party might rise out of the ashes.

I agree. There are also going to be such low expectations of everything he says or does now that anything vaguely sensible that comes out of his mouth will really surprise people.
  • The excuse that he's a republican makes me want to barf. This isn't about him, it's about respecting the fallen and singing OUR national anthem. Until we're a republic [never in my view], he should sing it for the purpose that it signifies.

SeanT said:

What a tit.

You expect Corbyn, of all people, to sing "Wider still and wider shall thy bounds be set / God who made thee mighty, make thee mightier yet"?!
    edited September 2015
    Cyclefree said:

dr_spyn said:

Tim Stanley tweeted

snip

Indeed. All this reinforces the belief that Corbyn has remarkably little respect for the nation, and many of those within it. It adds to the ever developing narrative, along with stories of the company he chooses to keep and those unsavoury characters he calls 'friend'.
    edited September 2015
    Plato_Says,

The man wants to get rid of our nuclear deterrent, reduce the British army, open up our borders to all and sundry, invites Hamas, Hezbollah and the IRA to parliament and won't sing our national anthem.

The man just doesn't like Britain.

And 60% of the Labour Party supports him.
  • JEO said:

I like the way he just classifies the Lib Dems as a right wing party without explanation.
    He did something else, got slated in the comments and that's the edited version.

slow.hand.clap.
    edited September 2015

SeanT said:

What a tit.

He's not there to represent himself though, is he? He's not there in a personal capacity. He's there in a representative capacity - to represent Labour voters. So his personal views, which he's perfectly entitled to hold, are neither here nor there.

Edited: to be honest, the picture is not as bad as people are making out. He's not a fashion plate but he's made some sort of effort. I think this is probably the least important sort of criticism to be made of him and I am - as some of you may have gathered - not at all a fan. But I accept that images can have an impact, much like that non-donkey jacket.

• justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

I don't accept the premise of that article that people voting LibDem in 2010 were on the Right of the political spectrum - indeed most were probably Left of Labour at that time. Very sloppy analysis.
  • Jerusalem is the most rousing "British" "anthem" IMHO!
  • Cyclefree said:

We owe a lot to him, in that case. Churchill was right about the importance of the Battle of Britian: if the Luftwaffe had managed to establish air superiority over Britian, we'd have been finished even if an invasion was impractical. And Hitler would have had a free hand over Europe. It would really would have been the lights of civilisation extinguished throughout the continent.
  • LucyJones said:

Scott_P said:

Right wing rag...

Even when he wore his "donkey jacket", he managed to do up his shirt and tie
    properly.

And, of course, it wasn't a donkey jacket. But that's the narrative that stuck.
    But why did they call it a donkey jacket?

Jerusalem is the most rousing "British" "anthem" IMHO!

Jerusalem is an English national anthem. Land of Hope and Glory and I Vow to Thee My Country are good British ones.

No doubt the Left would object to all three and would want Ben Elton to create a new little number about diversity and multiculturalism.
  • LucyJones said:

Scott_P said:

Right wing rag...

properly.

Because it looked like one. It may have technically been a 'short overcoat' but it looked like a donkey jacket.

And that description fitted the narrative about Foot better than any other.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,911
    edited September 2015

The right hon. Gentleman is afraid of an election is he? Oh, if I were going to cut and run I'd have gone after the Falklands. Afraid? Frightened? Frit? Couldn't take it? Couldn't stand it? Right now inflation is lower than it has been for thirteen years, a record the right hon. Gentleman couldn't begin to touch!

- M. H. Thatcher, PMQs 19/4/1983.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,673
    Scott_P said:

You really are worse than Billy Liar , you are compulsive and a total prat.
    @JamesTapsfield: Standing ovation for Corbyn, who fails to arrive. "I promise you he is on his way" chair says
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,673

Not for Scotland it is not.
  • JEO said:

Jerusalem is an English national anthem. Land of Hope and Glory and I Vow to Thee My Country are good British ones.

Hence the "quotes"!

• SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Two things

1) I heard that Corbyn remained silent during God Save the Queen.. If its true, he really is a miserable excuse for a human being .

2) I bought a client a copy of the Sun with a picture of Jezza and the headline Court Jezza.. The woman behind the counter who was def WWC just looked at the headline and said unprompted.. He's a fruitloop.
  • welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    dr_spyn said:

They swim in the sea.
    We have them for tea.

Cheeky - still Hague got married out of all of that. It was Ffion (aka Mrs (Lady?) Hague) who was drafted in to teach him Hen wlad fy nhadau.
  • malcolmg said:

Not for Scotland it is not.
    Hence the "quotes" Malcolm!
    Aww, that's a lovely bit of trivia.
    welshowl said:

dr_spyn said:

They swim in the sea.
    We have them for tea.

Cheeky - still Hague got married out of all of that. It was Ffion (aka Mrs (Lady?) Hague) who was drafted in to teach him Hen wlad fy nhadau.
  • MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    edited September 2015
    SeanT said:

Cyclefree said:

dr_spyn said:

Tim Stanley tweeted

Of COURSE there are far more important things to criticize him for than this. But it's stuff like this which crystallises public mood, where more abstruse (if justified) accusations - his consorting with Islamists - gain no traction.

Most people have no idea why this or that radicalist is so offensive, but they can bloody well see a man disrespecting the Queen and looking badly dressed at an RAF memorial service.

We're not even halfway through his first week and he's made several stupid gaffes already. He is corroding.
    "We're not even halfway through his first week and he's made several stupid gaffes already."

But from his point of view, they are not gaffes. This is how he sees the world, and he is right you are wrong, ok?

The rebellious teenager who never grew up.

• FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    Ah, let Corbyn and his disciples enjoy themselves.

Currently, my lefty friends are ripping into me on FB, ramped up about Jezza and how he and his comrades are going to kick the shit out of the posh Bullingdon boys. Us centrists can watch out.

They are loving it. It's their 15 minutes of fame. They can now jump in a giant bath together and lovingly soap one another down in their virtuous principles and apple-pie hopes. I told them to enjoy it while the warm water lasts, because all their dreams will wash down the plughole in a forgettable gurgle, leaving just the shitty grime behind. Then the remaining crazy bastards on the left will probably hang an effigy of Corbyn like they did Scargill., before scurrying back off into echo-chamber obscurity.

It's great for the Tories, of course it is, but over the long run it'll work out okay for Labour too, because Corbyn will go. I think even my FB friends know it'll end in failure - they just want to make a point, that there are poor and struggling people out there who'd like a veer away from the status quo for a bit, before swallowing hard and indicating back on to the road of reality.

In the meantime the Labour centrists and moderates should spend their time finding a charismatic leader ready to take over when Corbyn goes.

The Tories aren't particularly popular and they'll be less popular without Cameron (if he does indeed go) and I've no doubt Labour will come back as a force during this parliament. Although I must say, they do seem bereft of big name players.

Meanwhile, it is absolutely funny as feck and still almost impossible to believe that Corby and co have taken over a major political party. Lol, Mcdonnell as Shadow Chancellor! I can't get over it. Is their buddy Michael Meacher still in parliament? Perhaps he can get a job as Minister for finding out which Americans carried out the inside job of 9/11!

Bonkers.

Cyclefree said:

We owe a lot to him, in that case. Churchill was right about the importance of the Battle of Britian: if the Luftwaffe had managed to establish air superiority over Britian, we'd have been finished even if an invasion was impractical. And Hitler would have had a free hand over Europe. It would really would have been the lights of civilisation extinguished throughout the continent.
    Him - and many many others. He never really talked much about the war to us children. He told me about what he saw at Belsen, which really affected him. He was a doctor as well and had been in Germany before the war so had signed up when he returned before war broke out.

Like a lot of his friends he talked about the fun times he had - the camaraderie, the almost Boys Own sense of adventure, the opportunities it gave him (he was sent to Canada and toured the US) and after, when it was all over, he just wanted to lead a normal and decent life. I heard much more about the war's impact from my mother - who was bombed, hid in Rome, had the Germans imposed on them, then the American troops, suffered real hunger and deprivation and family break up.

We - and our children - are very very fortunate in living when and where we do. And we stand on the shoulders of others, who came before us.

• JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    I'm impressed with Jezza; a man who puts his principles ahead of his child's education (and his marriage).

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/1999/may/13/uk.politicalnews2
  • Socialists cry "Power to the people", and raise the clenched fist as they say it. We all know what they really mean—power over people, power to the State.

- M. H. Thatcher, 15/3/1986.
  • What I'm still finding amazing is that Labour looked at what happened in May, considered it, and decided the problem was that they were not left wing enough.

It's mind-boggling.
  • SeanT said:

Cyclefree said:

dr_spyn said:

Tim Stanley tweeted

Of COURSE there are far more important things to criticize him for than this. But it's stuff like this which crystallises public mood, where more abstruse (if justified) accusations - his consorting with Islamists - gain no traction.

Most people have no idea why this or that radicalist is so offensive, but they can bloody well see a man disrespecting the Queen and looking badly dressed at an RAF memorial service.

We're not even halfway through his first week and he's made several stupid gaffes already. He is corroding.
    "We're not even halfway through his first week and he's made several stupid gaffes already."

But from his point of view, they are not gaffes. This is how he sees the world, and he is right you are wrong, ok?

The rebellious teenager who never grew up.

It's not about a right or wrong opinion. It's down to Corbyn to convince us to follow where he leads, to make us belive that he has the right vision. Now, I don't think he'll manage it, but his view of the world is no less valid than yours or mine.
  • MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited September 2015
    JEO said:

I liked how someone picked him up on it in the comments, pointing out that this quirk was entirely responsible for his results, and he replied "No it doesn't - if the Libs went into the left wing bloc it makes my argument even stronger because the left's total gains would be greater."

Data Literacy. Ahem. (He did later realise the mistake in his comment.)
  • welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    edited September 2015

LucyJones said:

Scott_P said:

Right wing rag...

properly.

It wasn't of course, but that matters not a jot. We are still talking about it 30 years on, and nobody seriously doubted Foot's patriotism per se. Herein lies the huge elephant traps for Corbyn, and one which it seems the large majority of Labour MP's were clearly attuned to if reports of last night's Commons meeting are correct.

Corbyn's had decades moving in circles where supporting the IRA or whatever M Eastern anti Western lunacy is flavour of the month is seen as not only OK, but applauded, then suddenly he runs into the reality that most (ie the vast vast majority) are not within light years of his world view. It's going to be a hell of a ride all round. I mean the RAF defeating Hitler over Kent and Sussex is about as straightforward good versus evil as you get and he's seemingly being po faced about that.
  • Cyclefree said:

SeanT said:

What a tit.

He's not there to represent himself though, is he? He's not there in a personal capacity. He's there in a representative capacity - to represent Labour voters. So his personal views, which he's perfectly entitled to hold, are neither here nor there.

A man may climb Everest for himself, but at the summit he plants his country's flag.

- M.H. Thatcher, 14/10/1988
  • JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    Jezza doesn't reserve his hatred for his country; he hates his own species. EDM put forward by him in 2004 - "That this House is appalled, but barely surprised, at the revelations in M15 [sic] files regarding the bizarre and inhumane proposals to use pigeons as flying bombs; recognises the important and live-saving role of carrier pigeons in two world wars and wonders at the lack of gratitude towards these gentle creatures; and believes that humans represent the most obscene, perverted, cruel, uncivilised and lethal species ever to inhabit the planet and looks forward to the day when the inevitable asteroid slams into the earth and wipes them out thus giving nature the opportunity to start again."
  • Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    JEO said:

The man just doesn't like Britain.

And 60% of the Labour Party supports him.

They are well matched then.....
  • Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176

Scott_P said:

Right wing rag...

Quite, and I didn't think the donkey jacket moment would come as early as Day 4!

The top button undone is an image thing, and some voters might like Jez's rough and readiness and the fact he's at least covered up his vest and put a tie on. But to not sing the national anthem is unthinkable whatever his views.

(And i don't believe it's his republicanism that stops him singing it, I suspect it's more the fact as a hard Leftie who hates his country and its imperialist past he has never ever sung it in his life and probably doesn't even know the words)

The Sun and Mail will have fun with this tomorrow methinks...
    watford30 said:

Tom Watson must be hopeful. Keep an eye on him.
    That's what worries me. When Corbyn quits (and he will), the thuggish Watson becomes Acting Leader as Harman just has. So incumbency might give him a great advantage. Of course he's also unelectable, but a bit less unelectable than Corbyn.
    I've just realized people on here are actually taking this seriously.

Which other site in the world could attract the Colonel Blimps that this one does who could even give a damn whether or not Corbyn fastens his top button properly!
  • SeanT said:

Cyclefree said:

dr_spyn said:

Tim Stanley tweeted

OT Sean...

Just back from the shops. Big, BIG poster up at WHSmiths for the Richard & Judy Book Club. The Ice Twins is the 1st book on the graphic.

Kerching

Well done sir.
    That smile and folded arms just looks APPALLING.
    SeanT said:

CHORTLE.

The material is endless.

ttps://twitter.com/thomasknox/status/643778294274478080

edited September 2015

SeanT said:

Cyclefree said:

dr_spyn said:

Tim Stanley tweeted

OT Sean...

Just back from the shops. Big, BIG poster up at WHSmiths for the Richard & Judy Book Club. The Ice Twins is the 1st book on the graphic.

Kerching

Well done sir.
    Sean, how come it's cheaper for me to get the paperback delivered to my home, than it is for me to download the ebook to my kindle?
    As a matter of principle, I never buy any book where that is the situation!

EDIT- Bugger, having checked, it is now marginally cheaper to buy the ebook, last time I looked, it was nearly a tenner for the ebook, now it's down to £3.79
  • SeanT said:

Cyclefree said:

dr_spyn said:

Tim Stanley tweeted

OT Sean...

Kerching

Well done sir.
    Sean, how come it's cheaper for me to get the paperback delivered to my home, than it is for me to download the ebook to my kindle?
    As a matter of principle, I never buy any book where that is the situation!
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/09/09/e_books_sales_fall_harpercollins_news_corp/
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

You really are worse than Billy Liar , you are compulsive and a total prat.
    Lying by posting video evidence ? Interesting - sounds like a river in Egypt.
  • The choice facing the nation is between two totally different ways of life. And what a prize we have to fight for: no less than the chance to banish from our land the dark, divisive clouds of Marxist socialism and bring together men and women from all walks of life who share a belief in freedom.

- M. H. Thatcher, 13/5/1983.
  • SeanT said:

Cyclefree said:

dr_spyn said:

Tim Stanley tweeted

And it won't be a one-off. Once 'disrespectful behaviour' becomes associated with him, people will be on the watch for the next one. The Daily Mail is no doubt working on its next 'Now' headline as we write (i.e. 'Now Corbyn ... sits for national anthem / disses the Queen / takes a leak on the tomb of the unknown warrior' or whatever). The individual incidents don't really matter (well, that last one might), but the cumulative effect does. Apart from anything else, being constantly asked questions about them will really rile the man.
  • I started work on a "Flash Corbyn" design, but gave up in the end :lol:
    edited September 2015
    The Mail are on it.
    Jeremy Corbyn today refused to sing the national anthem at a memorial service to remember the heroes of the Battle of Britain.

The new Labour leader, a committed pacifist and republican, stood silent as the congregation at St Paul's Cathedral sang God Save the Queen on the aerial conflict's 75th anniversary.

Mr Corbyn, who was dressed in non-matching jacket and trousers and had failed to properly button his shirt, was branded a 'disgrace' by critics.

Ahead of the memorial service he also met David Cameron for the first time since his victory - hours after he was embroiled in a major row with his own MPs after refusing to say if he will wear a red poppy on Remembrance Sunday because he is a pacifist.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3235116/Jeremy-Corbyn-gets-message-paying-tribute-Battle-Britain-greets-David-Cameron-time-Labour-leader.html#ixzz3loYGUUsX

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3235116/Jeremy-Corbyn-gets-message-paying-tribute-Battle-Britain-greets-David-Cameron-time-Labour-leader.html

SeanT said:

Cyclefree said:

dr_spyn said:

Tim Stanley tweeted

snip Your own personal feelings are irrelevant and if they are that important to you then don't go.

And it won't be a one-off. Once 'disrespectful behaviour' becomes associated with him, people will be on the watch for the next one. The Daily Mail is no doubt working on its next 'Now' headline as we write (i.e. 'Now Corbyn ... sits for national anthem / disses the Queen / takes a leak on the tomb of the unknown warrior' or whatever). The individual incidents don't really matter (well, that last one might), but the cumulative effect does. Apart from anything else, being constantly asked questions about them will really rile the man.
    SeanT said:

Cyclefree said:

dr_spyn said:

Tim Stanley tweeted

TBH on a day like this I'd rather remember those who fought than obsess about Corbyn's tie. He issued a statement, at least. He's a berk. But let's leave it there. Today is not about him.

• HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    I do think the first* of the Corbyn downfall videos that Mr. Dancer showed us yesterday was very funny the link is here if you want to see it:

https: //www.youtube.com/embed/tyNI7wmjS6s

SeanT and others this morning seem to have the measure of Corbyn - he is a rebellious teenager who never grew up, rather a pathetic figure of a man really.