Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » This should take the pressure off Mr Corbyn

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited September 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » This should take the pressure off Mr Corbyn

I thought writing “Jeremy Corbyn has been elected Labour leader” would be the weirdest/unlikeliest PB thread I would write this summer. I was wrong, very wrong as this thread features things you’d expect to read in a Tom Knox novel.

Read the full story here

Comments

• I doubt that this will make any difference to anything politically. It's just a major personal embarrassment for the PM that he is going to have to tough out. The posh really are another country, aren't they? Ho, ho.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,772
    I think it has been pretty clear that Cameron has been right to snub Ashcroft for some time. Nice of him to confirm it in spades.

I wonder what sort of indemnities he had to give to the publishers for this? Must have been enough work in that to keep some lawyers going for a year.
  • I doubt that this will make any difference to anything politically. It's just a major personal embarrassment for the PM that he is going to have to tough out. The posh really are another country, aren't they? Ho, ho.

I'm not sure it's anything to do with poshness. I've seen some working class people do some fairly odd things as well (and no, no details).

In fact, I probably saw more dubious behaviour at the state schools I attended than the public schools.

Also, it might not be wise to insinuate all posh people are like this. Otherwise we might have to ask Charles what he got up to as a youth ... :)
  • Former Piers Gaveston Society member and current MP Rory Stewart may not be the best bet for a high profile Cabinet position. At least for a while.
  • CD13CD13 Posts: 6,349
    Mr Eagles,

I think this sort of thing is already factored in. He's a posh kid who went to a posh university and indulged himself. Who died?

I'm not a fan but this tittle tattle isn't a game changer. Unless there's something more explosive inside.

I suspect GO's autobiog would be similar, and as for Boris ....
  • Former Piers Gaveston Society member and current MP Rory Stewart may not be the best bet for a high profile Cabinet position. At least for a while.

Ah, smears by association.
  • richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited September 2015
    Who really cares..apparently only morons read The Mail..
  • DavidL said:

I think it has been pretty clear that Cameron has been right to snub Ashcroft for some time. Nice of him to confirm it in spades.

I wonder what sort of indemnities he had to give to the publishers for this? Must have been enough work in that to keep some lawyers going for a year.

He's his own publisher isn't he?

Agreed. Cameron's activities in his student days were already fairly widely known, in the generality if not the specifics, and are unlikely to cast any doubt on his ability to be PM. If anything related to post-2001, when he became an MP, that would be more difficult. The Crosby allegation does but that's an allegation against Crosby not Cameron.

Silly season story that may leave a lasting mental image but is unlikely to do long-term damage to the Tories.

What's the smear?

DavidL said:

Probably for the book but the DM would have been pretty nervous about this. In fact I am surprised they touched it. I would guess they would have demanded sight of a lot of the underlying evidence before they did. Maybe even the alleged photograph?
  • A second thought. These revelations will do far less damage to Cameron's reputation than Ashcroft's pre-election polling did to his.
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,279
    There was a young man of Nantucket,
    took a pig to a thicket to &*($ it,
    said the pig with a sneer,
    come round to my rear,
    come round to front & I'll suck it.
  • DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Probably for the book but the DM would have been pretty nervous about this. In fact I am surprised they touched it. I would guess they would have demanded sight of a lot of the underlying evidence before they did. Maybe even the alleged photograph?

They would have had to have gone through a number of procedures to ensure their libel insurance would kick in.

• surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Sajid Javid should still be 50/1.

What's the smear?

That Rory Stewart, despite not being named in the story, might be involved in similar practices because he was in the same group (although not at the same time).

I think that's what you're trying to insinuate.

In which case, all Labour party members are IRA-supporting Mace-wielding economic-illiterates. ;)
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,969
    edited September 2015
    All I can think about is this from, from the 3rd greatest ever President.

Legend has it that LBJ, in one of his early congressional campaigns, told one of his aides to spread the story that Johnson's opponent fucked pigs. The aide responded "Christ, Lyndon, we can't call the guy a pigfucker. It isn't true." To which LBJ supposedly replied "Of course it ain't true, but I want to make the son-of-a-bitch deny it."
    edited September 2015

I doubt that this will make any difference to anything politically. It's just a major personal embarrassment for the PM that he is going to have to tough out. The posh really are another country, aren't they? Ho, ho.

Agreed. Cameron's activities in his student days were already fairly widely known, in the generality if not the specifics, and are unlikely to cast any doubt on his ability to be PM. If anything related to post-2001, when he became an MP, that would be more difficult. The Crosby allegation does but that's an allegation against Crosby not Cameron.

Silly season story that may leave a lasting mental image but is unlikely to do long-term damage to the Tories.
    I agree. In the circle where the posho's congregate, these sort of things are quite common and the public know that. It also tells you that he wasn't a bore ! He tried and experimented. Remember, he was still a student.

I seem to recall another posho stripped naked in Las Vegas !

What's the smear?

That Rory Stewart, despite not being named in the story, might be involved in similar practices because he was in the same group (although not at the same time).

In which case, all Labour party members are IRA-supporting Mace-wielding economic-illiterates. ;)

No, you are totally wrong. Read how LA got the story. Not many people would have knowledge of this private "ceremony". Fewer still who are current MPs.

• Yes, Ashcroft's revenge.

Former Piers Gaveston Society member and current MP Rory Stewart may not be the best bet for a high profile Cabinet position. At least for a while.

What's the smear?

Only Michael Heseltine has Mace-wielding skills !
  • A second thought. These revelations will do far less damage to Cameron's reputation than Ashcroft's pre-election polling did to his.

I'm not sure it reflects particularly well on Ashcroft to go in this hard either: "if you cross me, I'll trash you.."

What is it they say about two graves?
  • FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    OINK
    So far what I have read is that Cameron in his student days in Oxford as an ex-Public School boy put his precious private part in a dead pigs mouth.

Non-story as the sage Nabavi would put it.

Now, if he had inserted any substance in the mouth, well..................
    Posh lads are flipping weird.
  • richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited September 2015
    Wasn't it a Labour MP who actually did wield the mace..in the HOC.
    If I remember correctly he had a Posh double barreled name.
  • SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    It'll have as much effect as Ashcroft's polling. The Daily Mail readers hate everyone anyway.

Dave has been LOTO for 5 yrs and PM for 6.. its time enough for voters to know what he does in Govt. That's what matters most.

• Freggles said:

Posh lads are flipping weird.

My own theory is this we learned about the Roman Empire at school and some of the more debauched things the Romans got up to.

That set the benchmark.

People that went to comprehensives never got to learn such things.
  • Given the Mail are presenting it as 'Revenge!' does that not lessen the damage to Cameron?

One extremely rich guy tearing lumps out of a merely very rich guy......

As the old saying goes....before setting out for revenge, first dig two graves......

And as for Corbyn, I suspect the public may take a more benign view of the follies of youth, than what was said or done last week......
  • I'm just glad I was young when camera phones didn't exist.
    over in timland he's wanking himself to death over the Dave story

https://twitter.com/GOsborneGenius/with_replies

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/philipjohnston/8108767/Commons_mace_gets_abused_again/

Heseltine was not the only one it seems.
  • I feel sorry for Damian McBride and Derek Draper
  • TSE.. oooh yes we did...No tv in those days.. i recall a miner in the same colliery as me who was given 3 years in prison for co habiting with his pigs.

I'm just glad I was young when camera phones didn't exist.

They didn't exist when Cameron was young either which raises some interesting questions.
  • ....I guess one of the pigs must have squealed...
  • I think that ordinary folk are more concerned about where Europe is going to settle several hundred thousand immigrants...It is suggested that in those numbers are quite a few who have made the journey purely to inflict serious damage on their hosts..

Given the Mail are presenting it as 'Revenge!' does that not lessen the damage to Cameron?

As the old saying goes....before setting out for revenge, first dig two graves......

And as for Corbyn, I suspect the public may take a more benign view of the follies of youth, than what was said or done last week......

Don't worry, Carlotta. This will not damage Cameron. Pig-fucking is not a sign of incompetence !
    If and this is a big 'if', there was a resignation, it would be a challenge to water down the reasons for a change in PM. Resigned because he simulated coition, with a pig...

Gross practices at a party organised by 20 somethings at university, not beyond realms of possibility. Heard enough stories re rugby clubs, lawyers, medics, engineers et al, some sounded more far fetched than others. The reputation killer for any of the above, would be if there is evidence of more recent consumption of coke.

The Mail did published photos of Ed Balls in a Nazi Officer's uniform, and that didn't finish him off.

Given the Mail are presenting it as 'Revenge!' does that not lessen the damage to Cameron?

Ironically it could be said that Ashcroft has been pigheaded over the whole affair
  • This story stopped my AV thread going up.

The AV thread will have to wait until next year.
    Lord of The Flies.
  • surbiton said:

Former Piers Gaveston Society member and current MP Rory Stewart may not be the best bet for a high profile Cabinet position. At least for a while.

What's the smear?

Only Michael Heseltine has Mace-wielding skills !
    You don't know much about your shadow chancellor:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7830937.stm
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    edited September 2015
    The average voter will not care less what hi jinks Cameron got up to as a student. Similar stories were in the U.S. about the societies George W Bush was involved with at Yale and they did him no harm. As for drugs we know Blair and Bill Clinton and George and Jeb Bush and Obama were not exactly unfamiliar with them either
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    Piggate still top trending on Twitter.

What's the smear?

No, you are totally wrong. Read how LA got the story. Not many people would have knowledge of this private "ceremony". Fewer still who are current MPs.

Were Cameron and Stewart contemporaries?

Cameron's seven years older
    No sign of Mail front page on BBC website.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    This will have minimal impact.

1. Those who care are already Kippers (i.e. it's in the price - it's widely assumed that Cameron took drugs when he was younger). The sex thing sounds a bit too recondite to get traction.

2. No one else really cares

3. The Mail has done Cameron a huge favour with their title (I assume deliberately as they are smart people) in that it sets up the bitter former friend narrative

I doubt that this will make any difference to anything politically. It's just a major personal embarrassment for the PM that he is going to have to tough out. The posh really are another country, aren't they? Ho, ho.

I'm not sure it's anything to do with poshness. I've seen some working class people do some fairly odd things as well (and no, no details).

In fact, I probably saw more dubious behaviour at the state schools I attended than the public schools.

Also, it might not be wise to insinuate all posh people are like this. Otherwise we might have to ask Charles what he got up to as a youth ... :)
    I didn't inhale...
  • Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    So far only Sky have a reference to the story and it says very little

"An "explosive" new book by a billionaire Tory donor contains allegations that David Cameron took drugs while he was at university. Downing Street has said it will not be commenting on any of the allegations printed in the newspaper"

It looks like the rest of the media are not touching this story with a bargepole.
  • Wasn't it a Labour MP who actually did wield the mace..in the HOC.

Yeah, posh Ron Bro-Wn.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,674

Defending your Tory chums I see, oh wait you are not a Tory.....oops.
    Never heard of anything like it from working class people so you are either Tory or move in very strange circles indeed.

Who really cares..apparently only morons read The Mail..

what is in it
    edited September 2015

What's the smear?

The Piers Gavelston Society has a reputation. Although it was far tamer than the reputation allows.

And certainly far tamer than the Black Widows :blush:

LOL, yes just your average student jape, happens all the time.
  • MG..I thought you had left..how is your pet midge..

What's the smear?

ooooooooh , SO has struck a nerve
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Well if Tories bring up Corbyns past, Labour now have something to say. Might make Tories hesitate.

Looking forward to backbench question on PM support for UK bacon industry.
    surbiton said:

I agree. In the circle where the posho's congregate, these sort of things are quite common and the public know that. It also tells you that he wasn't a bore ! He tried and experimented. Remember, he was still a student.

Frothers are really struggling to paint this debauchery as perfectly normal. What kind of denigrates are you if you think that is normal everyday stuff. Dear Dear.
  • foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    DavidL said:

Ashcroft is indeed unfit for public office due to this litle bit of vindictiveness. Cameron's judgement is vindicated..

Interesting to see that in the furore about the pig no-one seems bothered about the illegal drugs. The pig porking all seems a bit of harmless fun to me. Initiation ceremonies in the military, youth gangs and sporting clubs are often a bit revolting in the cold light of day.

Sticking your todger in pigs head? Just a bit of a laugh!

surbiton said:

So far what I have read is that Cameron in his student days in Oxford as an ex-Public School boy put his precious private part in a dead pigs mouth.

Non-story as the sage Nabavi would put it.

Now, if he had inserted any substance in the mouth, well..................

I do like @ConHome's non-denial denial.

"There is no photograph of the PM inserting his penis into the mouth of a dead pig"
  • Jonathan said:

Well if Tories bring up Corbyns past, Labour now have something to say. Might make Tories hesitate.

@DPMcBride: Jeez, can you imagine if Jezza starts his next PMQs with: "I've had 365,000 emails on the issue of meat hygiene. Pinkie from Oxford asks..."
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    I just flicked through the last thread which is the funniest i've ever read on PB (I hadn't heard the story)

These are my two favourites. From Dair "The moment Ed heard"

http://www.independent.co.uk/incoming/article9409370.ece/alternates/w620/v3-miliband-selwynv2.jpg

Yeah, posh Ron Bro-Wn.
    LOL
    malcolmg said:

surbiton said:

Frothers are really struggling to paint this debauchery as perfectly normal. What kind of denigrates are you if you think that is normal everyday stuff. Dear Dear.
    What was ur intiation Malc, In a haggis and whisky poured over it?
  • Piers Gaveston Society.

LOL.

Been there, done that.

Jonathan said:

@DPMcBride: Jeez, can you imagine if Jezza starts his next PMQs with: "I've had 365,000 emails on the issue of meat hygiene. Pinkie from Oxford asks..."
    The next EU summit will have pork quotas on the agenda.
    edited September 2015

MG..I thought you had left..how is your pet midge..

You are always behind the curve, have the bloodthirsty migrants reached your Lost World region yet.
  • DavidL said:

Ashcroft is indeed unfit for public office due to this litle bit of vindictiveness. Cameron's judgement is vindicated..

Interesting to see that in the furore about the pig no-one seems bothered about the illegal drugs. The pig porking all seems a bit of harmless fun to me. Initiation ceremonies in the military, youth gangs and sporting clubs are often a bit revolting in the cold light of day.

The drugs is old news. Was brought up the moment Dave ran for leader.

Frankly the public know most people tried drugs at uni.
  • Things rather busy at work at the moment, was thinking "urgh" getting up this morning to go do it. And then piggate lands in my inbox.

Will it force his resignation? No. Will it hound him for the rest of his days? Yes. There seems to be a zen-like calm from some posters this morning that fucking a dead pig is less bad politically than having a beard. Perhaps, but context is everything.

Not only has the press bandwagon moved off "Corbyn once didn't wash his hands after having a wee" scandal, the "yeah but he fucks pigs" retort will be the rebuttal to everything. Not from Corbyn himself of course, but it will come out. Nicola Murray was followed around by a man in a chop suit, various Tory MPs were followed round by people in chicken costumes. For Cameron it'll be a pig. Which brings the "ewww" nature of the story back again and again.

Final comment. When I watched that Black Mirror episode I thought Charlie Brooker had gone too far. How wrong I was...
    Jonathan said:

Nah, he should ask about the Genus deal with China that he helped engineer a couple of years ago and whether there's room for further growth (only legitimate way to bring pig semen into a question, I think)
    Mr G,

I doubt if you led a sheltered life. Just a suspicion.

At least Jezza never dd anything like this. His respect for animal life (whether alive or dead) was too high.

There are possibly a few elderly people who might be surprised at Cameron but not that many.
  • malcolmg said:

Never heard of anything like it from working class people so you are either Tory or move in very strange circles indeed.
    I don't think it is class based. Any group of young lads, trying to fit in with a tribal culture, such as a gang, or a sports team, or a job with a strong team culture such as the armed forces, police or fire sevice can get up to some crazy stuff when drink has been taken. I well remember The Dance Of The Flaming Arseholes. ......
    I think the drug taking is the more serious allegation for Cameron to deal with, to be honest, as it tries to drag his wife into it as well.
    Does anyone remember that Black Window drama on C4 where the "fictional" PM played by Rory Kinnear had to f**k a pig? Little did we know. Maybe someone did.
  • Jonathan said:

I'm sure a bit of compare & contrast might be in order..

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/643472152692424704
    On the subject of youthful indiscretions ...

Jezza and Diane. Respect, man.
  • foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    CD13 said:

Mr G,

I doubt if you led a sheltered life. Just a suspicion.

At least Jezza never dd anything like this. His respect for animal life (whether alive or dead) was too high.

There are possibly a few elderly people who might be surprised at Cameron but not that many.

Jezza was too busy photocopying trotskyist tracts to go out boozing at uni. Though a lot of those far left organisations resemble knocking shops.
  • Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    I have an early night and miss all the fun - golly, what a brilliant story.

All sounds a bit too National Lampoon for me, but golly doesn't Ashcroft have a jealousy grudge.

He's been acting like a spurned lover for years and now this - it's hilarious. Political impact I expect will be zero bar oodles of Twitter jokes.

Have to give top marks to @isam for the Diane Abbott joke :lol:
  • JEOJEO Posts: 3,656

DavidL said:

The drugs is old news. Was brought up the moment Dave ran for leader.

Frankly the public know most people tried drugs at uni.
    That said, I think cocaine allegations are more serious than cannabis. Most of the public know someone that smokes weed, so it has become somewhat normalised. High class parties where coke is snorted as adults seems more out of touch and alien. As do grotesque club rituals. I'm sure a lot of very macho sports clubs have done the same thing, but most people are not in such things and generally roll our eyes when such groups would come into the bar.

Still, none of this is as bad as supporting the IRA, defending Muslim extremists or insulting white people as a race. Cameron is lucky Corbyn is LotO.
    :open_mouth: Epic!

Piers Gaveston Society.

LOL.

Been there, done that.

I hear that the Guardian have scooped the Mail. They have an exclusive interview with the pig.
    edited September 2015
  • The whole episode left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

— Cameron's Pig (@CameronPig) September 21, 2015
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,969
    edited September 2015
    I'm glad I'm a good Muslim boy and have never eaten any pig based product.

I'd be for ever wondering did I ever ate some that had....
  • malcolmg said:

Morning ELIZA.

I see you still haven't had a decent programmer update your code.
    I'm sure they'll commission an article from the person who discussed interspecies dolphin sex

The Dolphin That Loved Me http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/jun/08/the-dolphin-who-loved-me
    Jonathan said:

I hear that the Guardian have scooped the Mail. They have an exclusive interview with the pig.

• RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    I loved Isam's suggestion for PMQ's

"Jasper from Stoke Newington asks:

'Does the prime minister think it acceptable to put ones private parts into farmyard animals?' "

'At least when I shagged a pig didn't promote it to the shadow cabinet!'
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,393
    I appreciate even right wingers were having fun with last night.
    CD13 said:

On the subject of youthful indiscretions ...

Jezza and Diane. Respect, man.

Carefree holidays, in DDR without Staasi files, about as likely as Tory politician poking a pig.
  • EstobarEstobar Posts: 558
    'We've all done stupid things'

Erm, when your PM allegedly sticks his cock into a dead pig's mouth this, trust me, is a whole different level.

If it's true, and esp, if the alleged photo comes to light, he's a goner.
  • Another view:

I just told Mrs J (a Lib Dem voter) about the allegation and asked her if it would make her any less likely to vote for Cameron's Conservatives.

She thought for a moment, then said: "The pig wouldn't, but the fact he was in that group would."
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263

Yes, I think that's correct. Yucky but not really vote-changing stuff. Southam is right that it somewhat reinforces the "posh are another country" theme, which the Tories will always struggle to shake off unless they elect a leader who is clearly different. Electing Boris, for instance, would be a gamble that there isn't similar stuff to uncover: possibly it strengthens the image of more austere types like May.
  • Bloody Bolshevik Broadcasting Corporation.

https://twitter.com/WingsScotland/status/645858896184242176

Perhaps they didn't want to frighten the horses. Or pigs.

malcolmg said:

Morning ELIZA.

I see you still haven't had a decent programmer update your code.
    I see you have no answer posh boy
  • EstobarEstobar Posts: 558
    Hilarious to see the tory desperados claim it wouldn't make a difference.

Yet another toff club, debauchery and excess. Cameron's finished if this is all true. Get used to the idea.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,087

....I guess one of the pigs must have squealed...

Lol
  • Has Cameron responded to #piggate yet?

I'm glad I'm a good Muslim boy and have never eaten any pig based product.

I'd be for ever wondering did I ever ate some that had....

Aah!

But has any pig based product eaten you?