Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Preview : October 22nd 2015 – 4 Con and 2

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited October 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Preview : October 22nd 2015 – 4 Con and 2 Lab defences

Tottington on Bury (Lab defence)
Result of council at last election (2015): Labour 35, Conservatives 12, Independents 2, Liberal Democrats 2 (Labour majority of 19)
Result of ward at last election (2012): Labour 1,085 (42%), Conservative 965 (38%), United Kingdom Independence Party 379 (15%), Liberal Democrat 135 (5%)
Candidates duly nominated:

Read the full story here

Comments

• dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,279
    first.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    Seconded!
  • douglas
  • Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    I woz robbed

I woz robbed

Time for an independent judge-led inquiry?
    Holy Moly
    Desperate Slovenia brings out the tanks to deal with migrant arrivals as 12,000 enter the country in 24 hours

Slovenia brought in tanks and riot police to help control arrival of migrants
    Tens of thousands have been crossing into Slovenia from Croatia, Hungary
    Arrivals began on Friday when Hungary shut its entire border with Croatia
    Migrants clashed with police on Slovenian border where man was stabbed

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3285054/Desperate-Slovenia-brings-tanks-deal-migrant-arrivals-12-000-enter-country-24-hours.html#ixzz3pKaUBKrW
  • david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,401
    Just a quick comment to express my continued admiration for these Thursday night threads: informative, well-written and nicely entertaining. Thanks.

Just a quick comment to express my continued admiration for these Thursday night threads: informative, well-written and nicely entertaining. Thanks.

I'd second that. Big effort by Harry to get these done.
    :+1:

• dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,279

I agree.
  • SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    RobD said:

I'd second that. Big effort by Harry to get these done.
    :+1::+1:
  • Just a quick comment to express my continued admiration for these Thursday night threads: informative, well-written and nicely entertaining. Thanks.

Agreed. Thanks for all your work Harry.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    edited October 2015
    Anyone who goes over the top and pens an article definitely deserves thanks from those of us who lurk down here in the trenches.

Thanks Harry.
  • MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    The Chandlers Ford division is a bit of a misnomer as it is basically the two Hiltingbury borough wards . It is also part of Winchester parliamentary seat not Eastleigh . The Conservative candidate is an Eastleigh borough councillor for one of the Hiltingbury wards .
    It will be a big surprise if the Lib Dems gain this .
    Jonathan said:

Anyone who goes over the top and pens an article definitely deserves the thanks of us who luck down here in the trenches.

Thanks Harry.

To be fair to the rest of us mortals, it is made slightly easier by the utterly fascinating and exciting subject material :D
    Didn't you pen one or two in the distant past too?

I did one years ago.
    Jonathan said:

Anyone who goes over the top and pens an article definitely deserves thanks from those of us who lurk down here in the trenches.

Thanks Harry.

• TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    edited October 2015
    I expect a LibDem collapse in Colchester, to mirror the GE. No fight back yet. Could even be down from 10% in Dedham...
    FPT @SimonStClare re #EVEL - have you seen the ogling at Trudeau? He's yummy.
  • HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    FPT

"Shooting and fishing are the only true social levellers. You can be fishing or shooting beside a farmer, a binman or a Lord."

I would beg to add Freemasonry to the list. One can sit down to dinner with a Duke of the Blood on one side and a taxi driver on the other and all get pissed together without side or distinction.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

I did one years ago.

Jonathan said:

Thanks Harry.

I did one every Sunday night for about 6 months back in 2010/11. It was hard work. When I look some of it was quite naive, but I am glad I did it. One article got to be the most read article that day, beating the Sunday papers thanks to Mike's unique site. Quite cool.

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2011/01/23/is-this-the-age-of-the-spads/

• JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517

FPT

"Shooting and fishing are the only true social levellers. You can be fishing or shooting beside a farmer, a binman or a Lord."

I would beg to add Freemasonry to the list. One can sit down to dinner with a Duke of the Blood on one side and a taxi driver on the other and all get pissed together without side or distinction.

Hmmm. I think Freemasonry excludes itself. I could buy fishing tackle, pay the rights owner, and fish. I could buy ((or borrow) a gun and go on a shoot. I'm not sure I'd know how to become a Freemason, and I'm fairly certain they wouldn't have me if I tried.
  • SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited October 2015

No, is there a hashtag? – For research purposes only of course :lol:
  • isamisam Posts: 40,721
    @JosiasJessop

Re gambling being a social leveller, I worked for a spread betting firm in London for almost a decade, and the range of people there was v diverse

A Head boy at Eton, a prime ministers grandson, various Marlborough, Oxford and Cambridge types, but plenty of non university educated Essex boys, northern monkeys etc too.. I found it great fun mixing with the kind of people id never met before
    I remember that one. I enjoyed them a lot more than Mr Brind's efforts.

@JackW had an Against The Grain meme too that provoked some great threads.
    Jonathan said:

I did one years ago.

Jonathan said:

Thanks Harry.

I did one every Sunday night for about 6 months back in 2010/11. It was hard work. When I look some of it was quite naive, but I am glad I did it. One article got to be the most read article that day, beating the Sunday papers thanks to Mike's unique site. Quite cool.

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2011/01/23/is-this-the-age-of-the-spads/

• JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517
    isam said:

@JosiasJessop

Re gambling being a social leveller, I worked for a spread betting firm in London for almost a decade, and the range of people there was v diverse

A Head boy at Eton, a prime ministers grandson, various Marlborough, Oxford and Cambridge types, but plenty of non university educated Essex boys, northern monkeys etc too.. I found it great fun mixing with the kind of people id never met before

Fair enough.

I bet the same could be said for coke addicts as well. Fishing, shooting, gambling, freemasonry and hard drugs. Any other candidates?

And has anyone done all of them? SeanT? ;)
    https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&vertical=news&q=trudeau hot&src=rela

No, is there a hashtag? – For research purposes only of course :lol:

FPT

Hmmm. I think Freemasonry excludes itself. I could buy fishing tackle, pay the rights owner, and fish. I could buy ((or borrow) a gun and go on a shoot. I'm not sure I'd know how to become a Freemason, and I'm fairly certain they wouldn't have me if I tried.
    Nah, its the same as shooting and fishing, you can't just volunteer to shoot on someone's land or fish in someone's river. You have to join a club one way or another, at least to get the best fishing/shooting.

Why you think that FreeMasonry wouldn't have you I have no idea, unless you have particularly disgusting table manners.
  • MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

FPT

I know an awful lot of working class Freemasons. Although I think it has more to do with the profession they work in than anything else.
  • JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    I love Peter Wishart's logical difficulty: bitterly opposing EVEL whilst arguing that it's "the one thing likely to lead to independence"! I imagine all these angry Nats are actually delighted.

I don't think Philip Collins likes Seumas Milne very much

The three hate-ideas of the idiot savant left are capitalism, imperialism and America, or CIA for short - http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/opinion/columnists/article4593667.ece
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

I love Peter Wishart's logical difficulty: bitterly opposing EVEL whilst arguing that it's "the one thing likely to lead to independence"! I imagine all these angry Nats are actually delighted.

The timing is fascinating

If it had happened last week the SNP conference would have completely overtaken by IndyRef2

Now the zoomers are demanding it on Twitter; meanwhile...
    The SNP are well aware that the current economics of independence make another referendum unwinnable.

It’s the main reason they’re in no rush to have one.
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/how-economy-remains-obstacle-second-6685837
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    edited October 2015

I expect a LibDem collapse in Colchester, to mirror the GE. No fight back yet. Could even be down from 10% in Dedham...

The Lib Dem councillors in my area of Colchester are working quite hard for us here.

I must admit I voted Conservative at the election (a very hard decision due to work Sir Bob did for us a couple of years back)

Interestingly the conservatives in our patch have copied the tactic and are also getting involved.

Never lived in an area with this level of engagement from councillors before.

Next time my patch comes up for a (council) vote the Lib Dem gets my vote
  • FPT

I worked with a guy who was a freemason when I was about 19.
    He told me quite a bit about their rituals etc.
    I asked half jokingly if I could join.
    His reply was 'I don't think that you would take it seriously enough'
    Not a bad judge of character tbh.

• MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

isam said:

@JosiasJessop

Fair enough.

I bet the same could be said for coke addicts as well. Fishing, shooting, gambling, freemasonry and hard drugs. Any other candidates?

And has anyone done all of them? SeanT? ;)
    I imagine death is the greatest - can't imagine social differences mean much on a terminal cancer ward.
    edited October 2015
    Horrific story

Attacker posed for pictures with kids before killing teacher and a pupil

https://twitter.com/telegraphworld/status/657305445690773505
    @feedthedrummer: Notice it is only SNP MPs the National think are second class. Hell of an endorsement of @IanMurrayMP if you ask me. https://t.co/vo07TG4lic
  • Scott_P said:

@feedthedrummer: Notice it is only SNP MPs the National think are second class. Hell of an endorsement of @IanMurrayMP if you ask me. https://t.co/vo07TG4lic

He's third class along with Mundane and fat Al.

He's third class along with Mundane and fat Al.

Not according to the American owned, English published, SNP propaganda rag, the Nat onal
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,392
    Let me get this clear - EVEL stands for English VETO for English Laws?
  • Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Meanwhile, in another universe, Hillary is still testifying. I doubt it'll be a ratings sweep for CNN or msnbc.
  • DairDair Posts: 6,108
    malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

Isn’t it about time the SNP started investigating those in their ranks who are behind the worst abuses, and, if they are revealed to be members‎, start expelling them or at least issuing meaningful warnings. Isn’t proper action by Nicola Sturgeon – who is much more reasonable and sensible than the ego-maniac Alex Salmond – overdue, to clean up her party?

This problem now cuts across party or ideological lines, threatening basic freedoms and eroding civic norms that were taken for granted until the madness and bitterness of the referendum period.
    http://www.capx.co/shouldnt-nicola-sturgeon-be-expelling-some-nationalist-extremists/
    LOL, they will want Stasi rounding up suspected SNP supporters soon. Cannot beat them at the ballot box so let us just put them in gulags, UK democracy you just got to love the loyalist unionists chutzpah.

There is a very dark cloud over the BritNats current squealing. They do seem very intent on shutting down free speech and limiting all discussion to be in line with only what the BritNats find acceptable.

The only way they can get their lies and misleading half-truths to gain purchase is by shutting down all opposition to the vile BritNat viewpoint. They know they are losing the battle as their propaganda fails to do the job they want.
    The thing that really stinks about the West Lothian question is that not only do the Scots and Welsh MPs get to vote on English only matters, they do it with less voters per constituency so one MalcolmG vote counts more on English matters than one Charles vote. How can that be right?
    Can anyone spot something missing from this news on the BBC website ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-34603330
  • MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

Dedham is not in the Colchester Parliamentary seat . It is in Harwich and North Essex .
    Sun saying Metropolitan Lefty "agitator" being lined up for Meacher's seat
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,042
    Dair said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

Isn’t it about time the SNP started investigating those in their ranks who are behind the worst abuses, and, if they are revealed to be members‎, start expelling them or at least issuing meaningful warnings. Isn’t proper action by Nicola Sturgeon – who is much more reasonable and sensible than the ego-maniac Alex Salmond – overdue, to clean up her party?

This problem now cuts across party or ideological lines, threatening basic freedoms and eroding civic norms that were taken for granted until the madness and bitterness of the referendum period.
    http://www.capx.co/shouldnt-nicola-sturgeon-be-expelling-some-nationalist-extremists/
    LOL, they will want Stasi rounding up suspected SNP supporters soon. Cannot beat them at the ballot box so let us just put them in gulags, UK democracy you just got to love the loyalist unionists chutzpah.
    There is a very dark cloud over the BritNats current squealing. They do seem very intent on shutting down free speech and limiting all discussion to be in line with only what the BritNats find acceptable.

The only way they can get their lies and misleading half-truths to gain purchase is by shutting down all opposition to the vile BritNat viewpoint. They know they are losing the battle as their propaganda fails to do the job they want.

You really are being eaten up by this. It's a shame.

Dair is so upset he forgot to use the magic word. No biccy for him tonight.
  • The thing that really stinks about the West Lothian question is that not only do the Scots and Welsh MPs get to vote on English only matters, they do it with less voters per constituency so one MalcolmG vote counts more on English matters than one Charles vote. How can that be right?

Why are NI MPs excused your outrage?
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,838
    edited October 2015

The thing that really stinks about the West Lothian question is that not only do the Scots and Welsh MPs get to vote on English only matters, they do it with less voters per constituency so one MalcolmG vote counts more on English matters than one Charles vote. How can that be right?

Electorate sizes:

Malcg's area:

North Ayrshire and Arran electorate 75,791;
    Central ayrshire 70,021;
    Ayr Carrick & Cumnock 72,995

Charles' manor:

Chelsea and Fulham 63,478
    Kensington electorate 61,133
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,092
    @JonnyJimmy Quite so! And when do English/Welsh MPs get to vote on matters decided at Holyrood? All MPs are second class by that measure. It's how the cookie crumbles.

I think their voter to MP ratio is similar to England's, actually I checked population to MP so please correct me if I'm wrong

Dair said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

It's not eating me up, it's indicative of the way that the BritNats are trying to frame the debate. They want the SNP to take action against people who are not members of the SNP. They want free speach limited by any means possible to allow their propaganda to go unchallenged.

It's just another excellent example of how the BritNats represent the dark side of nationalism in the face of an encompassing Scottish Independence movement.
    Pulpstar said:

Electorate sizes:

Malcg's area:

Central ayrshire 70,021;

Charles' manor:

I really should have researched my representatives better!
    edited October 2015
    Dair said:

SNIP

Any chance you could repost some of that in English?
  • Pulpstar said:

Electorate sizes:

Malcg's area:

Central ayrshire 70,021;

Charles' manor:

Lol!
    Puncture for the outrage bus.
  • The thing that really stinks about the West Lothian question is that not only do the Scots and Welsh MPs get to vote on English only matters, they do it with less voters per constituency so one MalcolmG vote counts more on English matters than one Charles vote. How can that be right?

I think their voter to MP ratio is similar to England's, actually I checked population to MP so please correct me if I'm wrong
    'The Office for National Statistics gives the median total parliamentary electorate across constituencies of about 72,400 in England, 69,000 in Scotland, 66,800 in Northern Ireland and 56,800 in Wales.'

http://tinyurl.com/q3t7yat

Overrepresentation by Electorate.

1, Wales
    2. NI
    3. Scotland
    4. England

By voters.

1. NI
    2. Wales
    3. England
    4. Scotland

So in terms of votes cast, Scotland has the worst representation and therefore the least valuable individual votes in the United Kingdom.

Pulpstar said:

Electorate sizes:

Malcg's area:

Central ayrshire 70,021;

Charles' manor:

Lol!
    Indeed! But you didn't argue that initially because, I expect, you know that Scottish seats are generally smaller population wise than English ones.
  • Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited October 2015
    Britain Elects ‏@britainelects
    Conservative GAIN Tottington (Bury) from Labour.

Going well for Corbyn then. Still, selecting Jon Lansman for Oldham will surely work out: http://www.sunnation.co.uk/labour-agitator-being-lined-up-for-seat-following-michael-meachers-death/
    Year after year the Queen has stood in the biting November cold to honour the fallen on Remembrance Sunday.

Now, as she approaches her 90th birthday, the service at the Cenotaph is to be shortened to limit the standing time, but the move has provoked a political row over an enhanced role for David Cameron.

Last week, the leaders of the four main opposition parties were told that they would no longer be required to each lay a wreath in turn at the war memorial on November 8, leaving only the prime minister to lay one on his own.
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/politics/article4593927.ece

Why does this sound like Osborne?
  • Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Goodness, Germaine Greer is irritating.

Pulpstar said:

Electorate sizes:

Malcg's area:

Central ayrshire 70,021;

Charles' manor:

Lol!
    Indeed! But you didn't argue that initially because, I expect, you know that Scottish seats are generally smaller population wise than English ones.
    Seats based on population has been a persistent Labour argument for yonks xD. What's made you come round to it ?

Pulpstar said:

Electorate sizes:

Malcg's area:

Central ayrshire 70,021;

Charles' manor:

Lol!
    You were talking about votes not electorate and on that basis Scotland is the least well represented part of the UK, MalcolmGs vote is worth less than a voter in any other country of the UK.

It was merely heightened irony your examples were of some of the larger population seats in Scotland and smallest population seats in England.
    Dair said:

1, Wales
    2. NI
    3. Scotland
    4. England

By voters.

1. NI
    2. Wales
    3. England
    4. Scotland

So in terms of votes cast, Scotland has the worst representation and therefore the least valuable individual votes in the United Kingdom.
    Is population per seat irrelevant because of the foreigners living in England?
    :smile:

Going well for Corbyn then. Still, selecting Jon Lansman for Oldham will surely work out:http://www.sunnation.co.uk/labour-agitator-being-lined-up-for-seat-following-michael-meachers-death/

12.3% swing! Though I think there were local factors.

Tottington (Bury) result:
    CON - 52.2% (+14.0)
    LAB - 30.9% (-10.5)
    UKIP - 9.9% (-5.1)
    LDEM - 4.3% (-1.0)
    GRN - 2.7% (+2.7)
    "MalcolmGs vote is worth less than a voter in any other country of the UK."

Seems about right to me :D
  • MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

Going well for Corbyn then. Still, selecting Jon Lansman for Oldham will surely work out: http://www.sunnation.co.uk/labour-agitator-being-lined-up-for-seat-following-michael-meachers-death/

"Labour sources suggest that they will push for a quick campaign to stop Nigel Farage’s Eurosceptic party “bedding in”."

Would be interesting if UKIP select Paul Nuttall.
    @wildernessyrs: Ouch. Tories up 14, Labour down 10 in Tottington (Bury). https://t.co/GGxdTFUyEo
  • Dair said:

1, Wales
    2. NI
    3. Scotland
    4. England

By voters.

1. NI
    2. Wales
    3. England
    4. Scotland

Is population per seat irrelevant because of the foreigners living in England?
    Fuck me! The wheels are coming aff.
  • Credit where credit is due, I think Farage tonight on BBCQT is a lot more measured and reasonable than I've seen him before. I haven't had a good word to say about him here before but he is performing well tonight.

Nooooo!

It has to be Karie Murphy. Please, please, please let it be Karie Murphy.
    News on the 'other' football -

The NFL have extended their 2 games a year at Wembley contract until 2020.

They also have a contract to play 2 games a year at Spurs new stadium starting 2018.

The Jaguars will play 1 game a year at Wembley each year, and their owner has said fairly openly that if there is to be a London team, he wants it to be the Jaguars. They are not doing well in Jacksonville for attendance.

The NFL tried to buy the London Olympic stadium, so they are serious. Why?

The Jaguars Bills game on Sunday will be the 13th game played in London, and one fan in attendance will be the millionth UK NFL fan through the turnstiles. That's why. They also sell a huge amount of NFL stuff each game, over $1 million a game. That's why.

They are still trying to make the logistics work on having a team based there.
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Electorate sizes:

Malcg's area:

Central ayrshire 70,021;

Charles' manor:

Lol!
    Seats based on population has been a persistent Labour argument for yonks xD. What's made you come round to it ?
    I hadn't really given it much thought before, and I'm not sure it's a great idea but I think it's a relevant consideration when contemplating the "second class" nature of Scottish/Welsh/ Irish MPs
    edited October 2015
    Tim_B said:

News on the 'other' football -

Hey Tim

What are the NFC East standings looking like right now?
    Dair said:

Dair said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

It's not eating me up, it's indicative of the way that the BritNats are trying to frame the debate. They want the SNP to take action against people who are not members of the SNP. They want free speach limited by any means possible to allow their propaganda to go unchallenged.

It's just another excellent example of how the BritNats represent the dark side of nationalism in the face of an encompassing Scottish Independence movement.

Squealing vile Britnats? Couple of mental stops to shooting people for the greater good.

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Electorate sizes:

Malcg's area:

Central ayrshire 70,021;

Charles' manor:

Lol!
    I hadn't really given it much thought before, and I'm not sure it's a great idea but I think it's a relevant consideration when contemplating the "second class" nature of Scottish/Welsh/ Irish MPs
    Wales is massively over-represented in terms of seats. Scotland isn't ;)
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,005
    Looking at the reviews of the new Bond movie Spectre it appears they may be including a few topical themes. Suggests they're taking a pro-Snowden line on surveillance and perhaps more amusingly they seem to have updated it for age of austerity. There's a new pen-pushing bureaucrat called 'C' (not short for anything we assume) who's decided he wants to, horror of all horrors, cut the 00 section. It's up to M and Bond to fight for their jobs.
    Bore off Greer
  • Scott_P said:

Year after year the Queen has stood in the biting November cold to honour the fallen on Remembrance Sunday.

Now, as she approaches her 90th birthday, the service at the Cenotaph is to be shortened to limit the standing time, but the move has provoked a political row over an enhanced role for David Cameron.

Last week, the leaders of the four main opposition parties were told that they would no longer be required to each lay a wreath in turn at the war memorial on November 8, leaving only the prime minister to lay one on his own.

The wreath should be laid by the youngest member of the house, irrespective of party.
  • Scott_P said:

I really hope and suspect any changes like this are not because of party politics but is as said because of the health of the monarch. Though I think if the Queen can't serve her functions as monarch in an era of longer lifespans then perhaps she should retire (as the Dutch Queen did two years ago) rather than shorten our memorials to the those lost at war.
    edited October 2015
    None of the panel seem to have noticed that Hinkley Point is actually pretty bad value for money !

Get Junior on there.

12.3% swing! Though I think there were local factors.

Tottington (Bury) result:
    CON - 52.2% (+14.0)
    LAB - 30.9% (-10.5)
    UKIP - 9.9% (-5.1)
    LDEM - 4.3% (-1.0)
    GRN - 2.7% (+2.7)

That has to be some sort of record in a marginal seat during this portion of the electoral cycle.

Squealing vile Britnats? Couple of mental stops to shooting people for the greater good.

He's forgotten Nicola's wise words already

@NicolaSturgeon: Note to my fellow independence supporters. People who disagree are not anti Scottish. Does our cause no good to hurl abuse (& it's wrong)

Maybe time for some re-education...
  • isam said:

Bore off Greer

I thought she made a good point, the reforms China have done to move from famine to major development is a modern day miracle.

Funny seeing Farage now attacking the tax credits reforms when 100% of UKIP MPs have been backing them.
    Dair said:

That has to be some sort of record in a marginal seat during this portion of the electoral cycle.

Allegedly there were "local factors"

Scott_P said:

The wreath should be laid by the youngest member of the house, irrespective of party.

I'd back this idea.
    Politicians driving police investigations at allies' request. You'd be shocked were it Russia or Venezuela
    https://t.co/PD8VBZRd3l
  • oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Scott_P said:

Dair said:

Yes, the 'local' voters didn't vote Labour and did vote Tory!!
    I like that idea. Keeps remembrance in mind for those with no life experience.

Scott_P said:

Scott_P said:

Dair said:

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/13647425.Ex_councillor_spared_jail_after_admitting_child_sex_photos_offences/
    Scott_P said:

He's forgotten Nicola's wise words already

@NicolaSturgeon: Note to my fellow independence supporters. People who disagree are not anti Scottish. Does our cause no good to hurl abuse (& it's wrong)

Maybe time for some re-education...
    A completely different issue.

BritNat Trolls are the problem, either the direct BritNat trolls like Ian Martin and Iain Smart or the Trolls-By-Proxy like Joanne Rowling. There was a delicious irony in Martin's celebration of cyber-attacks by Rowling against anyone that opposes her BritNat drool.
  • Pulpstar said:

None of the panel seem to have noticed that Hinkley Point is actually pretty bad value for money !

Get Junior on there.

Is it?

I am not an expert but surely it is false to compare strike prices for power plants that have not been built yet a decade from now to the prices generated by existing power plants (much of which will be retired within the next decade).

The comparison should be to the strike prices of alternative means of power generation and it seems that it is a lot more competitive then.

Looking at the reviews of the new Bond movie Spectre it appears they may be including a few topical themes. Suggests they're taking a pro-Snowden line on surveillance and perhaps more amusingly they seem to have updated it for age of austerity. There's a new pen-pushing bureaucrat called 'C' (not short for anything we assume) who's decided he wants to, horror of all horrors, cut the 00 section. It's up to M and Bond to fight for their jobs.

It opens here 11/6. I was 10 when Dr, No came out, but the first one I saw on release was Goldfinger. Since then even after all these years, whenever I hear the James Bond theme I react to it. I have the soundtrack of the pre-credits music from Goldfinger as the ring tone on my phone. Some of the later Roger Moore ones were poor, but I'll be there in 2 weeks.

The music has never been the same since John Barry's departure, culminating in the simply dreadful theme song to Skyfall.
  • rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

Well, the head of MI6 is traditionally called "C" after Mansfield Cumming, who founded it as a separate (from what is now MI5) service.
    Scott_P said:

Dair said:

Such as "the locals thought Corbyn was a terrorist supporting, economically suicidal Trot?"
    He's virtue signalling elsewhere right now :wink:
    Pulpstar said:

Get Junior on there.

isam said:

Bore off Greer

I thought she made a good point, the reforms China have done to move from famine to major development is a modern day miracle.

Funny seeing Farage now attacking the tax credits reforms when 100% of UKIP MPs have been backing them.
    I don't think he really 'attacked' them do you?

He said the same as Carswell did on Mondays daily politics re fields amendment
    Dair said:

Scott_P said:

I'd back this idea.

Why don't they all just lay them at the same time?
    edited October 2015
    deleted